• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
My older cousin lied to me about Roy and Mr. Game and Watch. He saw it online and said Roy was Roy from Mario and Mr. Game and Watch was the Japanese name for T.T from Diddy Kong Racing. Back in the good ol dial up days so it was borderline impossible to fact check anything.
I remember I talked with this one guy who said that he could play as Red Parakoopa in Melee. Lying little ****.

I remember that for whatever reason the Octopath Traveler event didn't get announced on Twitter until Thursday for some reason. Buuuuut the actual ingame announcements DID update, which from what I can gather seems to happen around 11PM PST. So if we pass that tonight and STILL no event, THEN we can start HMMMMMMMM-ing.
Well, I guess we'll find out in about three hours.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but The Origami King spirit event is still going on until another 3 hours. They might be waiting for it to finish until they finally reveal the new event. Though I do still agree something this week is likely.
A Spirit Event and Event Tournament never conflict with one another. Event Tourneys go live on Friday and they're always announced on Tuesdays at around 8-pm, just like Spirit Events and vice versa

There's literally no reason to wait this long to announce this weeks event since they've always followed a strict schedule. The only times it's been broken like this were.
--The Octopath Traveller event, which is what we're using as our deadline
--The day we got the Small Battlefield update out of nowhere

If we go past 2:00AM EST and there's STILL no event update, then clearly they're holding back for something.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
View attachment 284176

"Look guys, look! I'm in Super Smash Bros Melee for the Nintendo GameCube! Incredible, incredible."
YOU WANT FUN? WARIO SHOW YOU FUN!

.....oh **** i just realized the Wario Apparition is just doing Wario's Neutral Special.........

(Also Smash 2 Wario IS objectively better than Canon Smash Wario, facts)

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but The Origami King spirit event is still going on until another 3 hours. They might be waiting for it to finish until they finally reveal the new event. Though I do still agree something this week is likely.
That hasn't stopped them from revealing new events before. The Octopath event went until Tuesday as well and that didn't stop them. We'll know in about 2 hours whether this means anything or not.
I feel like something is off... pinshadow pinshadow Didn't you say that the Mario presentation at E3 was supposed to be seperate? It's going to be kind of awkward if we have a Mario presentation one week and a General another. Well, it would be the end of the drought at least.
I did but I'm not really sure if that was the case at this point. Mario's 35th was going to be a big deal this year obviously but all that stuff seems to be scrapped/moved, the theme park opening, stuff with the movie, maybe even the Olympic Ceremonies if how they introduced Japan back in 2016 was any indication.

But a seperate E3 presentation? Doesn't seem like that was the case. I think I might have jumbled stuff up with the Mario Presentation that might have been planned for April/May according to Nate (and possibly others, it was months ago and he's the only one I specifically remember mentioning it.)

EDIT: Did some digging, here's what came up

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/super-mario-bros-35th-anniversary/
  • The Super Mario 35th Anniversary reveal was originally due to take place as a physical event at E3 in June, VGC was told, but Nintendo is now reviewing its plans in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
So yes, I think? Also saw several sites mentioning the idea of Nintendo holding a replacement event but not outright confirmation the idea was tossed around like Nate said. That being said I don't know if that's the idea they'd go with now, especially with everything else Mario related seemingly pushed far back. If we get no event tonight, then we can start going into hype mode and wait and see if we get an announcement tomorrow morning for some kind of presentation.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I've no idea whether or not that Archive page update is truly a sign that some sort of big Direct or some other substantial announcement is coming. I would hope it is, but considering the previous two times we've been expecting one, I would not be surprised if, either tomorrow or on the 3rd, Nintendo decides to blindside us yet again and... well, you know...
cf2.png

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Oh damn! Looks like we might actually be getting a full-on Direct this month!
I still say we aren't getting a full on direct anytime soon because of the partner showcases. That being said, with the Mario Collection announcement seemingly imminent on the 3rd we could be looking at some kind of Mario presentation this week. We'll see if we get anything tomorrow and if not just expect a shadowdropped trailer as is the norm now.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

Papagenos back with yet more reasons why this "leak" doesn't pass the smell test
Very Hyped to be mentioned in the video. Watch Papagenos Alot, Soo it is very exciting for me

And Honestly, I do agree that the leak is likely fake after the investigation. The Modded posts were probably because FunkyConnrad got banned, and apparently all topics related to the user also gets deleted in the process on that site.

Pretty much, The likely scenario is that someone related to Funkyconnrad, or FunkyConnard on a Alt account took a Screen shot, used inspect element, and posted it on 4Chan. I can't find the User browsing the page in the pic because it's not named (Mobile Version), and tracking them down is not worth the hassle at this point

It was fun to investigate though, but hopefully if i do this again it's for something that is probably real leak

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I’m honestly pretty hopeful for this week. Some interesting developments. Going to remain hopeful for Thursday. Hopefully we’re at the final stretch

QQS

Smash Lord
I have a new theory, I will put it here:

What if Sakurai and Nintendo decide to end the Smash Franchise just as how it started? I mean, putting back as the final character, the first character planned for Smash. Maybe as DLC #81 or maybe as a Bonus. I’m talking about the Pre-Smash-Project, which is called: “Dragon King: The Fighting Game”.
3FDA30A1-AA14-400E-97BC-4A4BBF3D146D.jpeg
D2BA13E7-5BB1-4503-A1DD-080F95E88B1C.png

I have read that Sakurai had to take down the previous ideas (these characters with no face) after deciding with the Team that they will use Nintendo characters to fight with each other, to give it a “soul” to the game (which was the best decision cause it’s now the best fighting game ever and a legendary/iconic/masterpiece franchise of Nintendo). The point is, that maybe to honor Iwata (RIP) or just to come full circle, reuse those old models and make it a new Full Fighter as I said as Character #81 or Bonus. Maybe one guy/girl called Dragon King/Queen with more alt.costumes and as Stage, the one called: “Ryuoh” in the Yamanashi prefecture where Sakurai himself took pics to recreate that area in the game. Also where the HAL buildings were.

Im not saying this is going to happen or that I’m rooting for this. But I actually believe it has chances. Also because it would be like the typical unexpected thing that could surprise us all and honor those times.

What do you all think? Fatmanonice Fatmanonice papagenos papagenos R RetrogamerMax Enigma735 Enigma735 Griselda Griselda Firox Firox Kremling Kommander Kremling Kommander MisterMike MisterMike Vector Victor Vector Victor waterhasataste waterhasataste Heoj Heoj Nicnac Nicnac okamifire okamifire 7NATOR 7NATOR LDGno97 LDGno97 MattX20 MattX20 Nazyrus Nazyrus Heoj Heoj GenoToto GenoToto Geno Boost Geno Boost Let Geno Smash Let Geno Smash PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate

Best wishes from Chile and hope that Geno joins the party in September!

Griselda

Smash Lord

What if Sakurai and Nintendo decide to end the Smash Franchise just as how it started? I mean, putting back as the final character, the first character planned for Smash. Maybe as DLC #81 or maybe as a Bonus. I’m talking about the Pre-Smash-Project, which is called: “Dragon King: The Fighting Game”.
View attachment 284182View attachment 284183

I have read that Sakurai had to take down the previous ideas (these characters with no face) after deciding with the Team that they will use Nintendo characters to fight with each other, to give it a “soul” to the game (which was the best decision cause it’s now the best fighting game ever and a legendary/iconic/masterpiece franchise of Nintendo). The point is, that maybe to honor Iwata (RIP) or just to come full circle, reuse those old models and make it a new Full Fighter as I said as Character #81 or Bonus. Maybe one guy/girl called Dragon King/Queen with more alt.costumes and as Stage, the one called: “Ryuoh” in the Yamanashi prefecture where Sakurai himself took pics to recreate that area in the game. Also where the HAL buildings were.

Im not saying this is going to happen or that I’m rooting for this. But I actually believe it has chances. Also because it would be like the typical unexpected thing that could surprise us all and honor those times.

What do you all think? Fatmanonice Fatmanonice papagenos papagenos R RetrogamerMax Enigma735 Enigma735 Griselda Griselda Firox Firox Kremling Kommander Kremling Kommander MisterMike MisterMike Vector Victor Vector Victor waterhasataste waterhasataste Heoj Heoj Nicnac Nicnac okamifire okamifire 7NATOR 7NATOR LDGno97 LDGno97 MattX20 MattX20 Nazyrus Nazyrus Heoj Heoj GenoToto GenoToto Geno Boost Geno Boost Let Geno Smash Let Geno Smash PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate

I'd probably be okay with 'Dragon King' as a fighter in Smash. As long as I get Geno first, I don't really care who else gets in after. Though as far as I know, the majority of those early blocky fighters' moveset ended up going to Captain Falcon, so there'd need to be a lot of work done to make them stand out.

There's a part of me that'd want a hypothetical 'Dragon King' redesign to have Sakurai's face, but he'd probably never do it.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

I highly doubt it.

Heoj

Smash Ace

I personally highly doubt they would go back to the dragon king idea, i mean wasnt some of captain falcons moves based off of dragon king in 64.
I would be on board if we were talking about a different smash original character, like the primid, that would be pretty dang cool

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Soooo it's past 11PM PST which is when the actual ingame site updates with annoucements (this is consistent, trust me) and they still haven't announced an event for this week. There has only been ONE week since Ultimate released without an event, which was when Hero released on a Tuesday (and I assume this was done since the next event after was Hero's tournament and since Tournaments were new that update they wanted to have normal ones first instead), and the ONLY TWO TIMES they've announced events later in the week were when Banjo and Terry released after Tuesday and their tournaments were announced alongside their release.

Now, NOW is the time for HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-ing.

Vibe Check 1.png

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
My vote is for Tabuu if we're doing an original Smash character. Master Hand might be more popular or likely (even if he might look weird if they size him down) but Tabuu was always sort of mysterious and underdeveloped as a villain, and while it might not really make up for it, becoming a fighter and being able to team up with the others against Galeem/Dharkon would open up a ton of interpretations for his character and how he might develop working alongside his former enemies - which is kind of everyone. His reveal trailer could be pretty interesting. Would anyone trust him? Would they sabotage each other during fights and try to play it off as 'helping' each other? Fire off some Off-Waves to destroy some puppet fighters and just 'happen' to hit Sonic, too? It's also canon that either Galeem or Dharkon wrecked Tabuu at some point during the game, considering his spirit, so even an implied quest for revenge could be nice.

Besides, it'd also give everyone who missed Brawl a shot at fighting him. He's exactly the kind of guy Geno would have a bone to pick with, to be honest.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
In actual news, the Sakurai column leaked. It's not fully out yet but it's about the changes they made to online last month, and based on what's been translated, I have one word.

Pain.

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 284176

"Look guys, look! I'm in Super Smash Bros Melee for the Nintendo GameCube! Incredible, incredible."
wow that is a good game, what an achievement, it may be your greatest

while that would be a cool detail i doubt he would do this, every game has a demo with placeholder models, so this likely dost stand out as all that out of the ordinary to him, besides the nameless fighters move set was reused for captain falcons move set

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
No, because Nintendo is still doing well regardless. They continue to have success despite disappointing some fans.

There is really nothing from them to learn from, I mean even their launch sales(Oragami King) were positive compared to other entries in the series.

So regardless of what some fans think, they must be doing something right.
Well yes, but actually no. The short answer is that TECHNICALLY they are, as long as you believe that.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
The wait is killing me. So what if they are now the richest company in Japan and don't have to do anything to continue being so filthy rich... ☹☹☹

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I remember I talked with this one guy who said that he could play as Red Parakoopa in Melee. Lying little ****.

Well, I guess we'll find out in about three hours.

That sounds like the days when people said you could get Yoshi in pokemon Red and Blue. Gullable kids we were lol. It was this super involved lie involving missingno and all this other jazz. Fun times.

Side note, I picked up Bowser this week. Been having a blast. Thinking of him as good guy Bowser from Mario RPG. Makes me wish he had a chain chomp as a move. like a tether grab or recovery :p

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
The wait is killing me. So what if they are now the richest company in Japan and don't have to do anything to continue being so filthy rich... ☹☹☹
I highly doubt it would work in the long run, yeah it may work for a couple of years but the outrage of the fans (especially in this day and age) will shut it down as quick as it has begun. I doubt they wanna risk the wrath.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast

I think it'd be really cool, or even bring back the Fighting Polygons from Smash 64, but if people give backlash to generic anime swordsman, the general population would be really upset at literal generic fighters, haha. But I really stand behind any decision they make, Smash as a whole has given me more joy, laughs, and fun times than any other game.

Reactions: QQS

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Soooo it's past 11PM PST which is when the actual ingame site updates with annoucements (this is consistent, trust me) and they still haven't announced an event for this week. There has only been ONE week since Ultimate released without an event, which was when Hero released on a Tuesday (and I assume this was done since the next event after was Hero's tournament and since Tournaments were new that update they wanted to have normal ones first instead), and the ONLY TWO TIMES they've announced events later in the week were when Banjo and Terry released after Tuesday and their tournaments were announced alongside their release.

Now, NOW is the time for HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-ing.

View attachment 284187
Fans: 'Nintendo hasn't updated Smash's event this week. They are late. This might mean some big news is coming!'
Nintendo: 'Not only have we decided to be silent on game announcements, development status, Direct showcases and game releases, we decided to add Smash events to the list of things we won't announce until literally the last possible second.

We want to stop leakers, and we will achieve that goal by never saying anything ever again.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom