• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If I wrote something wrong, then I do apologize. I´m just tired of people being jerks. And no matter if your info is right or wrong, you don´t deserve the hate you get from some.
You didn't. I was agreeing with you. Sorry; probably a language barrier thing. You're Northern Europe, right? Because of my, er, 'emotional fortissimo' a common complaint I often hear from non-Burgers and leaves is how I seemingly "project" in my more emotional posts and it's hard to tell who I'm addressing.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You didn't. I was agreeing with you. Sorry; probably a language barrier thing. You're Northern Europe, right? Because of my, er, 'emotional fortissimo' a common complaint I often hear from non-Burgers and leaves is how I seemingly "project" in my more emotional posts and it's hard to tell who I'm addressing.
I´m from Sweden, lives on 3 hours of sleep since yesterday and it's 1 am currently

TTF

Smash Journeyman
It's just miserably ironic to me that /v/ will call Geno unknown and unwanted and then with negative self awareness tout a character that's even more obscure that like 70% of them probably can't correctly pronounce the name of or choose someone that has glaring issues like being a Japanese exclusive, would make the ESRB have a stroke, or has virtually no demand at all. Sure man, y'all dunk on BWD fans but then parade a character that's largely popular because of hentai. Makes sense.
To put it another way; Some will tell you that Geno is impossible to get in, while in the same breath tell you why Goku seems very likely.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
It's just miserably ironic to me that /v/ will call Geno unknown and unwanted and then with negative self awareness tout a character that's even more obscure that like 70% of them probably can't correctly pronounce the name of or choose someone that has glaring issues like being a Japanese exclusive, would make the ESRB have a stroke, or has virtually no demand at all. Sure man, y'all dunk on BWD fans but then parade a character that's largely popular because of hentai. Makes sense.
/V/ loses their mind over Reimu and Doomguy constantly. They also dogpile on **** like Blazblue and that Atelier rumor. They have awful awful tastes.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
/V/ loses their mind over Reimu and Doomguy constantly. They also dogpile on **** like Blazblue and that Atelier rumor. They have awful awful tastes.
If they drool over Doomguy (and hate Atelier) then at least that means they aren't your stereotypical "JAPAN MASTER RACE" crowd, so.......good for them?

That's......the only good thing i can say of /V/ for now.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Also, the question begs to be asked, when did pass predictions that aren't gun-in-your-mouth-depressing become "pandering?" More than 2 characters people actually want? Literal degeneracy! Behold, the duality of the Smash fanbase:

"Geno's not happening because literally no one outside of the Smash fanbase knows who he is and his popularity is grossly exaggerated. Anything supporting Geno is literally leakbait."

VS

"Geno's a meme pick and won't get in because Sakurai is secretly Santa Claus and can read the hearts and minds the world over, knowing that Geno is a flavor of the month character (for 15 years running) and nobody genuinely wants him. He's popular but he's not Really Popular ™."
This made me 😂

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
If they drool over Doomguy (and hate Atelier) then at least that means they aren't your stereotypical "JAPAN MASTER RACE" crowd, so.......good for them?

That's......the only good thing i can say of /V/ for now.
Sorry, I meant to say that they loved that stuff. I don't know why I said dogpile! They get all excited over obscure japan exclusives but lose their cool over Banjo or K. Rool. Then when those 2 were revealed, suddenly everyone was a fan. It happened with the Belmonts and even Mega Man, surprisingly. /v/ is such an odd slice of gaming culture it's a wonder I still visit. Must be longing for my high school years in the early 2000s, when **** posting felt like a national pastime and you would wait the 15mins to an hour it would take to download and burn a flash game off Newgrounds onto a CD just so you and your buddies could play something on the computers at school. I want to go back, bros...

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Sorry, I meant to say that they loved that stuff. I don't know why I said dogpile! They get all excited over obscure japan exclusives but lose their cool over Banjo or K. Rool. Then when those 2 were revealed, suddenly everyone was a fan. It happened with the Belmonts and even Mega Man, surprisingly. /v/ is such an odd slice of gaming culture it's a wonder I still visit. Must be longing for my high school years in the early 2000s, when **** posting felt like a national pastime and you would wait the 15mins to an hour it would take to download and burn a flash game off Newgrounds onto a CD just so you and your buddies could play something on the computers at school. I want to go back, bros...
So they are just bandwagoners, got it. (and also obnoxious weebs, but i guess it's expected when it's a website called 4-CHAN)

Also why did you make me nostalgic for the 2000's all of the sudden?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So they are just bandwagoners, got it. (and also obnoxious weebs, but i guess it's expected when it's a website called 4-CHAN)

Also why did you make me nostalgic for the 2000's all of the sudden?
I kind of miss the Brawl Speculation days. There really was no insiders, YouTube was still in its infancy, and Twitter was still in Satan's nutsack where it belongs. Video game speculation is weirdly complicated now.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I kind of miss the Brawl Speculation days. There really was no insiders, YouTube was still in its infancy, and Twitter was still in Satan's nutsack where it belongs. Video game speculation is weirdly complicated now.
Ditto. Or how about MELEE speculation? Posting in IGN boards and creating crazy forum posts about some guy seeing a "Mars" in the game files or figuring out why they would pick Game and Watch over clearly good choices like Joanna Dark 🤣

My high school notebooks were covered in doodles of characters like Little Mac, Diddy, Takamaru and Lolo all as their "CSS renders" and I would get into long rants on Smash Stadium about how reasonable it was to expect Pit or Mega Man. Those were the days

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Personally, i miss Smash 4 Speculation (i was too young for Brawl's release period, since im as old as Smash itself).

Yes, Fan-Rules were ****ing rampant (which made speculation about Simon almost impossible) and Geno was kinda dead (which obviously wasn't good for this thread), but the pre-release period of Smash 4 was one of the fondest memories i had with any game in my lifetime, and since im on the "Smash Should be about NINTENDO first and foremost", i miss the days when NINTENDO characters were the norm, when characters that had little to do with Nintendo were usually not talked about, and people dind't went NUTS with Third Parties (characters like Layton were talked about during those days, not ****ing Gacha Waifu trash) So many obscure Nintendo characters that i learned during those days was fun. Lip, Mach Rider, Takamaru, Captain Rainbow.......

I miss Nintendo beign the main focus in Smash Speculation and reveals, if im honest (no, that doesn't affect Geno in anyway in my eyes, because i see him as a Nintendo character in soul and spirit, in the same way as Banjo)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ditto. Or how about MELEE speculation? Posting in IGN boards and creating crazy forum posts about some guy seeing a "Mars" in the game files or figuring out why they would pick Game and Watch over clearly good choices like Joanna Dark 🤣

My high school notebooks were covered in doodles of characters like Little Mac, Diddy, Takamaru and Lolo all as their "CSS renders" and I would get into long rants on Smash Stadium about how reasonable it was to expect Pit or Mega Man. Those were the days
My older cousin lied to me about Roy and Mr. Game and Watch. He saw it online and said Roy was Roy from Mario and Mr. Game and Watch was the Japanese name for T.T from Diddy Kong Racing. Back in the good ol dial up days so it was borderline impossible to fact check anything.

Noipoi

Howdy!
My older cousin lied to me about Roy and Mr. Game and Watch. He saw it online and said Roy was Roy from Mario and Mr. Game and Watch was the Japanese name for T.T from Diddy Kong Racing.
Marth is actually Meowth. It got mixed up in translation.

Young Link actually means Younglings, or children undergoing Jedi training. Of course referring to the inclusion of Darth Vader and his echo, Young Anakin.

Shiek? Shrek.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
My older cousin lied to me about Roy and Mr. Game and Watch. He saw it online and said Roy was Roy from Mario and Mr. Game and Watch was the Japanese name for T.T from Diddy Kong Racing. Back in the good ol dial up days so it was borderline impossible to fact check anything.
I kinda miss the era before the internet for that reason. There was a magic mystery to video games. Including Pokemon and the truck with Mew and secret fourth evolutions. Link being playable in SMRPG (least that was one I heard). Luigi in Mario 64. Jet Force Gemini Sequel. Mumbo Jumbo's secret transformations in Banjo-Kazooie. Metal Mario being playable in Smah 64 (years later turned out true due to dev code haha).

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I think one of the first, if not the first, YouTube videos I ever watched was the famous Falcon Punch scene from the F-Zero anime that someone had linked proposing it as Captain Falcon’s “Brawl move” (back before the term Final Smash was ever revealed)

Ahhhh, simpler times

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

Aww man, I was here during Melee speculation days under a different account. I remember when Gideon was admin. Damn, I’m old lol.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I think one of the first, if not the first, YouTube videos I ever watched was the famous Falcon Punch scene from the F-Zero anime that someone had linked proposing it as Captain Falcon’s “Brawl move” (back before the term Final Smash was ever revealed)

Ahhhh, simpler times
I honestly wonder if F-Zero would've continued for longer if that anime had been successful.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I get that he was the face (arguably - a similar claim could be made for Cloud or Lara Croft) of the Playstation 1, and having him, Mario, and Sonic in the same game would be a huge historic moment; I'm just not sure why he's suddenly viewed as likely. I get that he's got a bit of a renaissance between the N. Sane Trilogy, CTR: Nitro Fueled, and Crash Bandicoot 4 coming out, but I don't recall him having the same kind of demand that Banjo and Kazooie had. (they're the only western-owned playable character in Smash, so they're the only example that I have to go on - then again, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Cuphead, Bit.Trip Runner, Fallout, Assassin's Creed, Rayman, and Undertale all made it in through various forms, so it could happen)
The thing is the recent games aren't just a renaissance, they're a renaissance that are available on Nintendo systems (Or at least the first two are). If a big character not associated with Nintendo starts showing connections to said company, they start getting a lot of hype and optimism surrounding them.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So fellas, it's 9:40pm on a Tuesday night. Every Tuesday we get a Spirit Event or an Event Tournament from Smash's twitter

And yet... nothing tonight. Apparently the last time this weird absence happened, we got Small Battlefield out of nowhere.

Juuuust something to keep in mind
Can't wait for the Mashed Potato Samurai to give us the one thing we've all been waiting for: Small Final Destination.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So fellas, it's 9:40pm on a Tuesday night. Every Tuesday we get a Spirit Event or an Event Tournament from Smash's twitter

And yet... nothing tonight. Apparently the last time this weird absence happened, we got Small Battlefield out of nowhere.

Juuuust something to keep in mind
We've still got another hour or two before we hang it up for the night. Just keep your eyes peeled a little while longer

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Two of the oldest & weirdest rumors I heard way back in the early 2000's when I was a kid and before I had internet and saw internet speculation:

1.) A guy I went to school with told me that Smash for 64 told me that Master Hand was unlockable if you beat classic mode on the hardest mode, and that if you beat classic mode on any level with Master Hand you could unlock Shrek.
(Yes I think he was the first person in the world to use Shrek as a joke before memes were ever made. A part of me thinks that, if he didn't originate it, he helped spread Shrek as a meme when it first started.)

2.) The infamous "Unlock Sonic & Tails in Melee by beating 20 in Cruel Melee" April Fool's joke. I legit spend who knows how many hours and days on that trying to get it. Once I managed to get to 20 and KO'd myself and nothing happened, I was just frozen in awe. Soon after I saw that it was an April Fool's and was honestly salty about it for awhile.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
but did you ever figure out how to unlock sonic, and his clone tails?

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
View attachment 284154

An update could still happen, but this is a pretty interesting lapse in the schedule unless something was going to happen real soon. Again, last time this happened we got Small Battlefield

There is no Mario 3D Remaster reveal this week, there is no Nintendo Direct, and there is no Smash Bros Update!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
View attachment 284154

An update could still happen, but this is a pretty interesting lapse in the schedule unless something was going to happen real soon. Again, last time this happened we got Small Battlefield
I remember that for whatever reason the Octopath Traveler event didn't get announced on Twitter until Thursday for some reason. Buuuuut the actual ingame announcements DID update, which from what I can gather seems to happen around 11PM PST. So if we pass that tonight and STILL no event, THEN we can start HMMMMMMMM-ing.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'm sorely tempted to say that, because we're getting nothing today, it means we'll be getting something, or rather someone, on Thursday... but I don't think that's ever happened before. I think we've always gotten a tournament or Spirit Event on Tuesday even if we got a you-know-what later or even earlier in the week, with the Small Battlefield update possibly just being a one-off exception.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm sorely tempted to say that, because we're getting nothing today, it means we'll be getting something, or rather someone, on Thursday... but I don't think that's ever happened before. I think we've always gotten a tournament or Spirit Event on Tuesday even if we got a you-know-what later or even earlier in the week, with the Small Battlefield update possibly just being a one-off exception.
It depends. Sometimes they hold the Tournament surrounding the character the same week they release and sometimes they wait a week, but they never hold more than one event at a time. The event not being announced yet doesn't mean anything unless we don't get an announcement in the official game later tonight.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I remember that for whatever reason the Octopath Traveler event didn't get announced on Twitter until Thursday for some reason. Buuuuut the actual ingame announcements DID update, which from what I can gather seems to happen around 11PM PST. So if we pass that tonight and STILL no event, THEN we can start HMMMMMMMM-ing.
Good info. I'll be sure to hop on Smash in an hour to see

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
Considering that it sounds like anyone that would likely have info is just talking about the Mario collection, I don't think a Direct in September is happening anymore. But Nintendo can prove me wrong if they want to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom