• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Not that I haven't been able to live without the thread or anything, but holy hell did that take longer than anticipated.
So what are the patch notes for this current version of Smashboards? I've noticed a few UI changes, and we can now add "Tables", whatever these are.

EDIT: Looks like tables are still a work in progress. Either way, nice to have 'em, I guess.

The site is finally back up! How's everyone doing?
Good. Been catching up on some podcasts, playin' a bit of Oracle of Seasons.

Like most web site forum changes, I instantly hate all the updates and feel everything is ruined forever again.
I dunno, I kind of like having tables now, makes the place feel more homey.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Origami King is a good game, it’s not TTYD but it’s not supposed to be. As an analogy, you don’t have to like science class, but you can’t say it’s bad because it doesn’t have choir practice, because that’s just not what science class is.
True, but that doesn't mean that science class students can't be disappointed because the room that used to be for science class is now exclusively used for choir practice despite the numerous complaints about the change.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
So while the site was down, did anything new come up over on the Star Road Discord? I was mostly just browsing the Falcom Discord for Hajimari news

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Welcome back.

Zell has hinted at the 17th. He posted this image "so who's excited for the New Captain Tsubasa game, it's my GOTY for this year"

(note the red circles)

Earlier he also further hinted at 2 Directs this month, this time much more clearly.
Next Monday... waiting for these Mondays is making me feel like Garfield...

Did he also say anything about what the Directs could be? General? Mini? Partner Showcase? Game-focused?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
At this point I'm only going to listen to Nintendo because I feel leaks are gonna keep stringing me along. I feel like nobody actually knows anything right now in terms of concrete dates, just throwing out general time frames which typically end up being wrong.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Next Monday... waiting for these Mondays is making me feel like Garfield...

Did he also say anything about what the Directs could be? General? Mini? Partner Showcase? Game-focused?
He hinted Indies, Grub corroborates that he's heard about an Indie Direct. So there should be an Indie Direct next week and soon after that the second Direct which is the "main event". (either a Mini or a General, he hasn't clarified this at all, not sure if he even knows)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
At this point I'm only going to listen to Nintendo because I feel leaks are gonna keep stringing me along. I feel like nobody actually knows anything right now in terms of concrete dates, just throwing out general time frames which typically end up being wrong.
I mean Grubb got right about the march direct, and Kelos about the infamous partner showcause

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Didn't Grub also hint at the July 20th Direct as well? And he was super wrong about what was gonna be in that.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Origami King is a good game, it’s not TTYD but it’s not supposed to be. As an analogy, you don’t have to like science class, but you can’t say it’s bad because it doesn’t have choir practice, because that’s just not what science class is.
The kids want their drama class again, not the science class again. They want their courtains ,lights, audience and goofy characters,not projects with paint,stickers and stationery things!

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Good to see SmashBoards is up and running again!

...Imagine the monkey's paw of an idea of Nintendo randomly announcing Geno in Smash but while SmashBoards was unavailable to people. (Yes I know there is a Geno Discord.)

*All of the Geno thread collectively when Sakurai announces Geno as Fighter #7 but they can't even discuss it in the Geno thread for a few days
IMG_1859.PNG

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I don't think this really means anything, but I thought it was worth posting anyway. Apparently future games will be announced for Gamescom, but I'm sure that's probably just for PS5 and Xbox Series X games... It's the closest thing to "news" there is at the moment.
I don't think Nintendo's ever revealed or even shown off anything at Gamescom, at least not that I know of.

D

Deleted member

Why is it until 1:30 am that I'm finally able to use the site again? Some of you were here on Saturday yet i couldn't access anything at all.

The site does run better for me but it's also still a bit slow whenever I type. It's not as so as before though. Overall, mobile is less of a headache.

Nothing new on Geno or anything at all doesn't surprise me. We're Nintendo fans. We don't get news anymore. Society has moved past the need for Nintendo news.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Having an Indie Direct on the 17th and a General Direct afterwards makes no sense if they want to have anything Mario out in time for the anniversary. They could shadow-drop something like 3D World Deluxe tomorrow or Wednesday, but if they have been sitting on a Mario Direct for months, why throw out major announcements piecemeal instead of having the whole event?

I have no reason to distrust the insiders if they’re no longer hearing anything for this week, but it still is super strange to go so late and also have any Mario content miss the 30-day mandatory reveal deadline to pre-order in Japan

EDIT: Also, hi everybody! Welcome back! It’s been awhile

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
89A18E35-2830-448C-B173-CC9E35DC588B.jpeg

EDIT:

Artist: Mutation Korno (more info on the artist in the top left corner of the photo)

Found on: this page on Instagram: you.can.call.me.geno

The design is amazing. I wonder how perfect Nintendo official design will be. Just like how perfect Banjo-Kazooie, Mega Man and many more are.

GENO AWAKENS!

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Welcome back.

Zell has hinted at the 17th. He posted this image "so who's excited for the New Captain Tsubasa game, it's my GOTY for this year"

(note the red circles)

Earlier he also further hinted at 2 Directs this month, this time much more clearly.
Never mind the numbers, the hell is up with these proportions?! Jesus "Henry" Christ.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
It's not quite the same if science class used to have choir practice and people felt like that was the entire core of science class but the board changed it and focused on the core being the letter "e" because haha funny the letter "e" appears twice in the word "science" despite public outcry. And then the board continued to refuse to acknowledge the change or the beloved past. But yeah I get what you mean. I'm starting to reconsider my stance on TOK and I might actually pick it up after all.

D

Deleted member

Congratulations for a take that isn't bad, but misses the point and sets up an awful comparison. You know how no one likes the Little Mermaid area in Kingdom Hearts 1? I'm sure there's someone out there who likes it, but overall, it's regarded as the weakest point in the game... Because it plays nothing like the rest of the game. Now, imagine that Kingdom Hearts 1 just didn't have a Little Mermaid area, or that it was like the one in Kingdom Hearts 2, without the dance segment they still managed to shoehorn into it... and then imagine that Kingdom Hearts 3 was all Little Mermaid themed Simon Says. Every level. Every boss fight. Almost none of the action RPG combat that people have come to expect from the franchise, just Simon Says. Also Donald and Goofy took a paid day off and the Keyblade breaks after every use, and if you do happen to get into the rare fight with a normal enemy, all they drop is money. There is no leveling or progression, just Simon Says.

No one would pretend that's acceptable for Kingdom Hearts, especially after they waited a ****ing decade for Kingdom Hearts 3. A spinoff? Sure. That would probably generate a fan following within the Kingdom Hearts community, maybe even attract a new audience purely to that game... but not a mainline title.

It's not a bad game - it's not a Paper Mario game, and most people agree that Nintendo has enough properties thrown by the wayside that they could have rebooted some NES rubbish like Clu Clu Land or Ice Climber to become a puzzle RPG platformer adventure, or, better yet, just make a new IP, which if they have the confidence to take a beloved N64/Gamecube era RPG franchise and completely change the formula, they should have the confidence to let a brand new IP carry that formula.

Ultimately, however, you are correct that it is not supposed to be Thousand Year Door. This is Paper Mario now. Three games in a row that have met lukewarm reception, and they didn't change after the first time? This is the vision they have for it and they clearly have no intention of going back, going so far as to make up absolutely bull****, paper thin excuses as to why they don't have unique characters and then making fun of the fans for hating the Toads; and make no mistake that these excuses do not stand up to even the lightest scrutiny and the fans have to come up with contrivances to try to prove them valid. Truly, an abusive relationship.

Just another reason we're all sitting here wishing for Geno in Smash, because truly our last hope is that Square will come back and work on real RPGs set in the Mario universe.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Bit of theorycraft on why the Direct is taking so long and this may help us not scream towards god in frustration if there's another delay in the future. Remember how I said there was an "ideal flow" to Smash announcements? Since 2013 it's basically been:

February-April-June-July-September-November-December

Yesterday I kind of realized, big picture wise, this is largely how Nintendo has handled big announcements in general. Nintendo tries to announce their big news during or close to these months. So, with this in mind, what happens when there are delays? Nintendo tries to get back on "schedule" and we've seen this three times with Smash in the past year alone.

-According to Imran Khan, Hero was supposed to be an E3 2019 shadowdrop but their release got delayed. They were delayed to literally the last day of July.

-According to Imran Khan, Byleth was supposed to be a December 2019 announcement but, once again, got delayed for unknown reasons. They were formally announced in mid January and released late January.

-There's lots of evidence that Min-Min was supposed to be an April release. She then got delayed to late June.

You'll notice that each time there's been delays, announcements are pushed close to the tail end of the next "step" in the ideal announcement flow. April announcements turn into late June announcements. December announcements turn into late January announcements. Basically Nintendo does this so that the rescheduling is close to the next step but doesn't outright replace it, making it easier to return to "normal" with their schedule.

This in mind, where does this leave us now? Min Min was delayed from April to late June. E3 was supposed to be in June. Based on past precedent, we'd assume that it would be rescheduled for late July like Hero was. If that's the case then why didn't this happen? It's because Min Min already filled the July "slot" by being in late June. I feel like this is why so many insiders were expecting a late July presentation. This would have potentially happened but we had two major delays in a row. With the "July" slot filled, this means the next available slot is September. What does this mean? This means to get back on schedule, Nintendo theoretically rescheduled "E3" for late August.

Where does that leave us now? Here are the takeaways:

-Min Min was supposed to be April, basically rescheduled to "July" ( late June).

-E3 was supposed to be June, theoretically rescheduled to "September" (late August).

-The Fall Direct has very consistently been in September the past couple of years, more than likely rescheduled to "November" (late October) to get back on schedule.

TL;DR version:

Min Min reschedule: April to late June

Probable "E3" reschedule: June to late August

Probable "Fall Direct" reschedule: September to late October

Bottom line: We're likely no more than two weeks away from finally, FINALLY getting the E3 Direct we were supposed to have in June but it's likely the 20th or later.

D

Deleted member

Bit of theorycraft on why the Direct is taking so long and this may help us not scream towards god in frustration if there's another delay in the future. Remember how I said there was an "ideal flow" to Smash announcements? Since 2013 it's basically been:

Yesterday I kind of realized, big picture wise, this is largely how Nintendo has handled big announcements in general. Nintendo tries to announce their big news during or close to these months. So, with this in mind, what happens when there are delays? Nintendo tries to get back on "schedule" and we've seen this three times with Smash in the past year alone.

-According to Imran Khan, Hero was supposed to be an E3 2019 shadowdrop but their release got delayed. They were delayed to literally the last day of July.

-According to Imran Khan, Byleth was supposed to be a December 2019 announcement but, once again, got delayed for unknown reasons. They were formally announced in mid January and released late January.

-There's lots of evidence that Min-Min was supposed to be an April release. She then got delayed to late June.

You'll notice that each time there's been delays, announcements are pushed close to the tail end of the next "step" in the ideal announcement flow. April announcements turn into late June announcements. December announcements turn into late January announcements. Basically Nintendo does this so that the rescheduling is close to the next step but doesn't outright replace it, making it easier to return to "normal" with their schedule.

This in mind, where does this leave us now? Min Min was delayed from April to late June. E3 was supposed to be in June. Based on past precedent, we'd assume that it would be rescheduled for late July like Hero was. If that's the case then why didn't this happen? It's because Min Min already filled the July "slot" by being in late June. I feel like this is why so many insiders were expecting a late July presentation. This would have potentially happened but we had two major delays in a row. With the "July" slot filled, this means the next available slot is September. What does this mean? This means to get back on schedule, Nintendo theoretically rescheduled "E3" for late August.

-Min Min was supposed to be April, basically rescheduled to "July" ( late June).

-E3 was supposed to be June, theoretically rescheduled to "September" (late August).

-The Fall Direct has very consistently been in September the past couple of years, more than likely rescheduled to "November" (late October) to get back on schedule.

TL;DR version:

Bottom line: We're likely no more than two weeks away from finally, FINALLY getting the E3 Direct we were supposed to have in June but it's likely the 20th or later.
How does one explain, in this pattern, the June/E3 announcements not ending up in July, which is the next slot? Did it get delayed twice?

EDIT: did you know I can't ****ing read

Last edited by a moderator:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

TL;DR version:

I was thinking about when could we finally be getting a Nintendo news dump last weekend and as we progress through August I thought that by now, it's either going to be after the 20th, or September (for the same reason of getting back on schedule). As the wait (since May?) has brought us all the way to August, hopefully the term "soon" has gained accuracy by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom