• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I hope everyone is doing well. I've been popping in and out but haven't really been keeping up with the thread lately. Been playing Bug Fables which is an incredible game and generally focusing on trying to get cheap Pokemon cards and honestly I feel great. I think I really needed some breathing room from the thread to stop obsessing about "news when" and just enjoy things in the moment and look forward to the rest of FP2 when it comes. Also, working on a Pokemon region with a friend has been really fun even though we haven't gotten hardly any drawing done and definitely has been giving me a lot of good positive and creative energy.

I'm really hopeful for Geno and I think his chances are great. I'm still on the hype train and I accept the consequences of it if I end up getting disappointed and it won't hit me too hard anyway since I haven't purchased FP2 yet anyway. And the more I think about Geno, the more I just think how incredible and unique a character he is. All the aspects that come together to make the doll and the star spirit and it's personality are just really bizarre and awesome. When people were talking about making an indie game inspired by SMRPG it really got me thinking about that and how I would approach trying to make a character like Geno in a world like SMRPG's. I think I might just write some lore for characters and world in a way that I would interpret a game in the vein of Bug Fables that pays homage to another game but also sets itself apart and has a ton of its own merit.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
There was just something about the build up to that partner direct that was fascinating to me. So many insiders were doing some really coy stuff with SMRPG, and so many of them were expecting the partner direct to be a blowout general direct.

I just, I dunno, I can’t really shake that feeling. Since Nintendo is prone to moving dates around, I wonder if this supposed August character reveal was supposed to be sooner, and if so, does that mean these insiders were intentionally being cheeky? In other words, did they know something?

I’m cautiously excited for the coming weeks. If Nintendo decides to grace us with a general direct/mini direct/mario direct/etc., I believe Geno could finally come home.
I've been saying the same thing as you just said. I agree, I don't think insiders coming out and deciding the randomly talk about Super Mario RPG the night before the rumored Direct was just them joking. I know some people in here think it was just all that and nothing to it, but I really do think it felt like how :ultbanjokazooie: were before last year's E3. I understand Jeff Grubb is a fan of Super Mario RPG and said as much before the Direct rumors, but that doesn't change the fact that multiple insiders randomly decided to be cheeky with Super Mario RPG stuff and Geno being in Smash for no real apparent reason. You can't convince me that all of that was 100% meaningless and them joking.

I believe that the 2018 Nintendo Switch game Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Nintendo's fifth game in their acclaimed fighting game series that is helmed by Masahiro Sakurai, will include Geno from the 1996 Super Nintendo Entertainment System game developed by Square Enix: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars as a playable character in the downloadable content for the aforementioned Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game.

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
I just find this, what do you guys think?
Ee4DXxnU8AEOTPj.png
I mean, make sense but as the person who posted aknowloged 7 Theory was just something funny which most likely never meant something. BUT if we trust in Grubb's words we could get a Indie World and a Mini Direct before the end of August, so maybe like Banjo they can say that the Geno's video will be lauched Right after the Mini Direct and he will be lauched in September (Well, even if that happen the Direct wouldn't be a shadowdrop or they will just make Mr Sakurai presents ??? 2)

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I just find this, what do you guys think?
View attachment 281748I mean, make sense but as the person who posted aknowloged 7 Theory was just something funny which most likely never meant something. BUT if we trust in Grubb's words we could get a Indie World and a Mini Direct before the end of August, so maybe like Banjo they can say that the Geno's video will be lauched Right after the Mini Direct and he will be lauched in September (Well, even if that happen the Direct wouldn't be a shadowdrop or they will just make Mr Sakurai presents ??? 2)
This is going beyond tinfoil hat territory at this point... this one's gonna require an entire tinfoil suit.

... and yet, that small part of my brain that's willing to entertain crazy stuff like this is telling "this might just be crazy enough to be true".

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
This is going beyond tinfoil hat territory at this point... this one's gonna require an entire tinfoil suit.

... and yet, that small part of my brain that's willing to entertain crazy stuff like this is telling "this might just be crazy enough to be true".
Did you said, TINFOIL SUIT?
DlUUK9CU8AEIYNS.jpg

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I'll laugh my ass of if tomorrow there's an announcement for a direct and the site's off
;p

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Ah yes, feels great to be back.

The desk is moved, the PC is hooked back up, and the bomb is being prepared for RTC at this very moment.

It will be a Fatman alright, but not a Fatmanonice, oh no. THIS Fatman is gonna be on FIRE!
If Geno gets in Smash, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice should change his avatar to the painting from Lethal Lava Land with a pipe, aviators, and a Geno hat.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In speaking of anniversaries, today marks the second year anniversary of getting the reveal of Simon and Richter Belmont, and one of my most wanted characters, King K. Rool! [Also Dark Samus and Chrom].
View attachment 281685
I can't believe it's already been 2 years since K. Rool was revealed. I feel like that Direct was just yesterday. I had butterflies in my stomach when I started hearing the rumbling when Sakurai was pretending to close the Direct out as I knew right then and there K. Rool was coming.

I don't mean to drag this Waluigi discussion on, but no.
Even then, Ridley's deconfirmation didn't echo far enough that the mainstream media could write about it like with Waluigi.
Even so, I feel like Ridley's deconfirmation in Smash 4 was a kick in the ***** towards more people than Isaac's deconfirmation in Ultimate.

PestilenceSSB

Smash Cadet
Since today's the 2nd anniversary of K. Rool's reveal (even though we North and South Americans are the only ones still living in August 8th), I might as well pop by to wish you Geno supporters luck. Here's hoping that your patience will be rewarded and that things will pan out for you. I want other people to have their "K. Rool moment" as well, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

WareWaKorekuta

Smash Rookie
Hi Everyone!
I’ve been lurking in this support thread and all of its predecessors a lot, dating all the way back to Brawl’s pre-release era.

Like many of you, I’ve spent the past 20+ years desperately praying for SMRPG’s world, characters and music getting revived in some form, and hoping with all my soul for Geno’s inclusion in Smash, along with many of my friends, with whom my friendship first sparked from our common passion for the game as kids.

Over the years I must’ve imagined a million times what Geno would look like in Smash, how he’d fight, move, be animated, etc, but also what his reveal trailer could be like. Lately I’ve thought of one scenario for it that would be super simple, and frankly, not even that original or epic, but I can’t stop thinking about it because (to me anyway) it really feels like something Sakurai might do, and it overflows with soul and nostalgia.
I hope it puts a smile on your face to picture it in your heads.

Fade in on a beautiful blue sky.
Pan down to an unsuspecting and playful Princess Peach on her kness picking flowers near Mario’s house, with the butterflies fluttering around her and everything.

You know the drill: suddenly, clouds gather and the sky goes dark.
The butterflies fly away, and Peach stands up in fear, looking around for any threat.

Bowser sneakily swoops in in his koopa clown car... BUT! As Peach is right within his grasp, *SKREEE!* a Geno Whirl (or Beam) shoots right through it from the heavens. The car goes out of control and BOOM, Bowser crashes, all while making his pouty face with the yo-yoing tears from SMRPG. Peach, not sure of what in the world just happened, looks around, confounded.

Focus back on the dark sky, where a bright piercing beam of light shoots through the clouds, instantly dispersing them and restoring the sky to its clear blue state. Falling from the beam comes Geno (either floating down gracefully or doing a superhero landing ;)

Peach realizes who it is and she’s extatic to see her old friend and ally.
Reacting to the commotion of the clown car crashing, Mario slams the door of his house open, ready for action. However, he instead spots Geno, gasps in disbelief before rushing to jump in and shake his hand frantically with both of his, all happy and excited. Peach approaches as well and takes a bow to him as thanks, smiling.
Geno responds with his traditional victory stance. Cue splashscreen of your choice.

After the gameplay montage, Bowser pops out of the rubble and smoke of his crash, roaring and seething with rage, looking around for whoever foiled his plan. However, as soon as he spots Geno, his expression lights up with delight and he too rushes to greet Geno, who shakes his finger at him for trying to kidnap Peach yet again. Bowser scratches the back of his head in shame and Geno replies with his signature laugh, Mario and Peach joining in soon after.

There you go. Just wanted to share this thought with you guys in these uncertain times and seemingly endless draught of information. Stay passionate and don’t lose hope!

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Has it ever been revealed why Nintendo let Square own ANYTHING from Mario RPG? That seems like such a boneheaded move. Even moreso than how Square let the composers own Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy’s music.

Why let a third party own something associated with your number one money maker?
In Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga there was a Geno cameo and they mention something that the rights for the character Geno were owned by Square Enix and also back in October, Nintendo answered to the Operation Starfall and they confirm that neither they or they third party partner had announced something about SMRPG. That 3rd party is SquareEnix so prove that SMRPG is actually own by Square

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Has it ever been revealed why Nintendo let Square own ANYTHING from Mario RPG? That seems like such a boneheaded move. Even moreso than how Square let the composers own Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy’s music.

Why let a third party own something associated with your number one money maker?
Think you might be thinking about this backwards. I imagine the parties involved in the mentioned cases may not have agreed to do it were they not given ownership. In the case of Mario RPG it was well before Mario spinoffs were as established a thing as they are now so of course the company that actually developed it would own the rights to it, while the music ownership is frankly very pro creator even though it has the unfortunate side effect of making smash inclusion more difficult and also meaning that Dragon Quest’s legendary soundtracks are in the hands of a colossal douche.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
You guys remember the November direct right before Ultimate came out? Completely decimated the Grinch leak and deconfirmed so many characters.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
You guys remember the November direct right before Ultimate came out? Completely decimated the Grinch leak and deconfirmed so many characters.
Let's remember that bad day, (I will sound like in a Nathaniel Bandy video):
-Only 3 characters: A Echo who everybody knowed will end playable, a Pokemon Rep and a Joke character
-AT: Isaac, Shadow, Black Knight, Springman and Skull Kid (Even was revealed in the page was the same day)
-Rex got Mii'd
-Gardevoir is in the Pokeballs (Same thing that Skull Kid). I mention she just to the Gottitelle, Gardevoir and Mario2 leak
-Pretty boring stuff which should be announced in the glorious 8/8 Direct
-The Adventure isn't Subspace 2 (They were hyping it too much)
-Reveal 0 things related with the DLC outside of the content and the price

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
A.K.A. the "Everyone Is Disappointed" Smash Direct, where Nintendo made the mistake of holding off beloved fan-favorites like Isaac, Shadow, and Skull Kid until the last minute before painfully deconfirming them... and then rubbing salt in the wound for good measure by unveiling a generic Mario enemy as the game's first DLC character.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if Geno ends up being a Mii Costume after the few opportunities during the first Fighters Pass where they could've brought the costume back, it'll show that Nintendo literally learned nothing from that infamous Direct.

I'll laugh my ass of if tomorrow there's an announcement for a direct and the site's off
;p
Even better: it'll instead be an announcement for Sakurai Presents video.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I can't believe it's already been 2 years since K. Rool was revealed. I feel like that Direct was just yesterday. I had butterflies in my stomach when I started hearing the rumbling when Sakurai was pretending to close the Direct out as I knew right then and there K. Rool was coming.
Oh yeah same here man. It honestly felt just like yesterday when I was arguing with people over whether or not this new Smash game was a port or a brand new game. Its crazy to think that two years later we would still be speculating about who is joining the roster and I NEVER thought we would make it this far, yet here we are. I guess that is just what happens when you're having fun. ;)

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

1. I think it's because Nintendo gave the property to SquareSoft, and the name "Super Mario RPG" was either made-up by Nintendo and legally given to Square or Square came up with the name... most likely the 1st option because I don't know how Square can get away with having "Super Mario" in one of their property's names. A lot of the characters in that game were made by Square: Mallow, Geno, Frogfucious, the Smithy Gang, etc., it makes sense why Square owns most of the property because the main source of the property comes from the characters themselves.

What doesn't make sense is why does Square insist on keeping them if they haven't used them since 1996 or 2003? Not once did it come to SquareSoft's mind to sell the property to Nintendo to make some bank? They hated each other after the whole situation with the N64 stuff happened, so why keep a property if it gives you bad memories? It got worse once Enix merged with Square, because now it's almost impossible for them to even pay attention to Mario since they moved away from Nintendo after SMRPG for like 10 years. If you want get rid of them, at least put them back to good use by selling it or making a deal with Nintendo.

It's bad for me to say this and hopefully it doesn't come true, but it's only a matter of time before Square realizes Geno and the other SMRPG characters are worth something, 'cause they might not want to sell them to Nintendo.

2. Not sure if Square had the decision on the composers since the composers themselves made it from the ground, but if that was the case, that sucks for Square because every time they need Nobuo Uematsu, they have to pay a heavy price.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
1. I think it's because Nintendo gave the property to SquareSoft, and the name "Super Mario RPG" was either made-up by Nintendo and legally given to Square or Square came up with the name... most likely the 1st option because I don't know how Square can get away with having "Super Mario" in one of their property's names. A lot of the characters in that game were made by Square: Mallow, Geno, Frogfucious, the Smithy Gang, etc., it makes sense why Square owns most of the property because the main source of the property comes from the characters themselves.

What doesn't make sense is why does Square insist on keeping them if they haven't used them since 1996 or 2003? Not once did it come to SquareSoft's mind to sell the property to Nintendo to make some bank? They hated each other after the whole situation with the N64 stuff happened, so why keep a property if it gives you bad memories? It got worse once Enix merged with Square, because now it's almost impossible for them to even pay attention to Mario since they moved away from Nintendo after SMRPG for like 10 years. If you want get rid of them, at least put them back to good use by selling it or making a deal with Nintendo.

It's bad for me to say this and hopefully it doesn't come true, but it's only a matter of time before Square realizes Geno and the other SMRPG characters are worth something, 'cause they might not want to sell them to Nintendo.

2. Not sure if Square had the decision on the composers since the composers themselves made it from the ground, but if that was the case, that sucks for Square because every time they need Nobuo Uematsu, they have to pay a heavy price.
I think it's because either Nintendo doesn't care or Squeenix doesn't care. Either party owns something that prevents the other from using SMRPG, and either way they just seem to be focused on other projects.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I think it's because either Nintendo doesn't care or Squeenix doesn't care. Either party owns something that prevents the other from using SMRPG, and either way they just seem to be focused on other projects.
nintiendo dosnt care much, if they want a mario rpg they can just make a mario&Luigi game, paper mario or just a new series. not worth the cash for them to buy it unless they want geno/mallow in particular, even then they could just make a similar character for free.
square enix likely dosnt care much ether, if nintiendo wont buy it it doesn't have much use, if they want to make a rpg they can just make a final fantasy/ dragon quest game, then they get all the profit instead of splitting it. not much reson to try and push nintendo for a game, more work for less money

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
So, I'm back, the site looks and feels weird, now, and Geno still hasn't been leaked or revealed. And apparently nothing else has happened in the meantime?
Yup, basically absolutely nothing (aside from the site) has changed since maintenance. Meaning, we are all still waiting and waiting for Nintendo to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom