• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
As much as I would personally like to believe that Gamestop had a little "oop!" moment with their video, I feel more like the unexpected wave of attention from a ton of viewers and fans aching for more information may actually be what's caught them off-guard, versus something substantial having been unexpectedly dropped in a video without their realization. Considering what the channel's history actually is composed of, as far as average viewership, subscriber count, and the consistency of people watching their content, I find it more likely that they're scurrying around trying to do damage control over something that they had little reason to suspect people would focus in on, thusly, they have no real idea on how to handle/contain it.

I would love for this to be a legitimate leak, of course! Considering how little news we've gotten out of anyone over the past several months, but... I'm not terribly sure about this one, I'm afraid. Versus an actual leak having gone out, I think it's more Gamestop getting spooked out of nowhere and trying to figure out how to calm things down.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
> Mfw I open the Geno thread again and the page number exploded meaning there's more sauce
IMG_1316.PNG

(And of course the Geno thread classic)
The overall mood of the Geno thread rn
oh yeah its all coming together geno.png

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
Anyone else just been sitting here hitting refresh hoping for more updates to all this craziness? Haha

Last edited:

D0ct0r

Smash Cadet
I don't know how to feel about this, guys. Personally, I don't believe any of this, it just sounds way too good to be true.

On the other hand, if it IS true, this would be the hypest **** :colorful:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
THE DAMAGE CONTROL IS ****ING PALPABLE!

GameStop has edited the comment so many times so far. Apparently, there's another instance of it just now.
And yet you've edited your comment, too. How ironic... :ultpacman:
EditedComment.png

There's this air of panic to everything

--The video went private
--The comment has been pinned and unpinned
--It's been edited multiple times
--The third edit (We only have screenshots of the latest two iterations of their statement) had to outright deny knowing information ahead of time even though we know that's untrue given how often GameStop knows about Directs ahead of time and prepares for them internally with SKUs and maintenance

I think my original theory was correct: The video was filmed at a time when Geno's reveal was impending at an upcoming Nintendo event, but plans changed and everything got shunted back to July, but this video slipped through the cracks because it was just a random off-hand comment of information that would have been old at the time the video would go live anyways

I'm 70/30 on this being an actual leak that managed to get through without anyone thinking too hard on it until now
>GameStop posts a video about Paper Cut: The Origarmi Killer
>Video incorrectly states that people were freaking out over a character reveal for Smash that hasn't happened
>They could've easily ignored it and had everyone believe they were stupid as per usual
>Instead they proceed to private the video, unprivate it, and post a clarification comment which they proceed to edit several times, making it look like they accidentally leaked something and are desparately trying to cover it up
>If this is real, this is how Geno was leaked

IWantToExpire.png

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Props to GameStop for probably making a small mistake and then course correcting in the dumbest way possible and making them look sketchier than before they released their heavily edited statement

Like, I legit don't believe the video means anything but they're somehow making themselves look like they're hiding something in the process of PROMISING THEY'RE NOT HIDING ANYTHING.

What is even going on LMAO

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I don't know how to feel about this, guys. Personally, I don't believe any of this, it just sounds way too good to be true.

On the other hand, if it IS true, this would be the hypest **** :colorful:
King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie felt too good to be true before their reveal, and the internet exploded when they were revealed.

We must have faith!

Griselda

Smash Lord
I'm just gonna say it, since the 'keep your hopes down' mindset is cropping up again:

I don't particularly care if I'm wrong.

If I believe that Geno is in Smash and he isn't, then I was wrong about Geno being in Smash. That's it. Nothing else happens. If I believed in the Grinch Leak and it turned out to be fake? That's it. Nothing else happens. Obviously, being wrong about that didn't kill me, or I wouldn't be typing this right now. If I believe the GameStop 'leak', and it turns out it really was just a weird mistake? ....So what?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm just gonna say it, since the 'keep your hopes down' mindset is cropping up again:

If I believe that Geno is in Smash and he isn't, then I was wrong about Geno being in Smash. That's it. Nothing else happens. If I believed in the Grinch Leak and it turned out to be fake? That's it. Nothing else happens. Obviously, being wrong about that didn't kill me, or I wouldn't be typing this right now. If I believe the GameStop 'leak', and it turns out it really was just a weird mistake? ....So what?
This. I've been speculating Smash during the very early base roster days of Sm4sh and throughout that time, their were instances I have believed in a leak or rumor that has turned out fake, like the Rayman leak. I'm used to that kind of disappointment that now it doesn't really get a reaction out of me. If I'm wrong, I move on with my day and I never let it affect my life, because if I let that stuff affect my life, I probably wouldn't be here right now.

If Geno isn't CP7 like I am currently suspecting, then I will take the L, and move on from that.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
I think this was posted already a few pages ago but given the day's events, I think it bears repeating as the thread's current mood (at least a couple of hours ago, for sure)

Last edited:

TexasToast

Smash Rookie
One thing that still feels weird about the Gamestop thing is that they tried to edit their message and even Private the video. Its like they are trying to cover their tracks. You wouldn’t need to do this if Geno wasn’t in or you didn’t have any information. I don’t know something about this just feel a little fishy.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I think this was posted already a few pages ago but given the day's events, I think it bears repeating as the thread's current mood (at least a couple of hours ago, for sure)

Personally, this is what I've got playing.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
It's like, I get editing the message because you'd want to make sure your statement is on point, but why private and then unprivate the video? It's either worse damage control than Chernobyl or a comical ****-up and I'm not sure which it is yet.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976

This is the moment that you can actually get hyped and be wrong later. I think there´s enough sustained evidence to actually be hyped and be wrong without feeling that bad. It feels legit this time!

link2702

Smash Champion
well I'll be....we may really hit 3000 right before the direct happens it seems.

Side note; If we get a new F-zero I'll be absolutely thrilled. long lost stage editor from n64 coming back? Vehicle customization from GX? New cast of crazy characters? Brutal high speed racing returning? HELL YES!

If we get that announcment, Geno in smash, BoTW2 and metroid prime 4 info, and SMRPG remake(unlikely...but a guy can dream) This direct would be the greatest thing in....well Forever.

D

Deleted member

One thing that still feels weird about the Gamestop thing is that they tried to edit their message and even Private the video. Its like they are trying to cover their tracks. You wouldn’t need to do this if Geno wasn’t in or you didn’t have any information. I don’t know something about this just feel a little fishy.
Under Geno’s shoe, “Gaz” is written. Nice Toy Story reference where Woody has “Andy” under his boot.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I'd again like to point out this video is playing in-store; no amount of "Oops sorry" on YouTube is gonna fix damage on this scale if this is actually legit

link2702

Smash Champion
after seeing the gamestop video...I don't think that really means much. I think it was poor wording on the girls part. Either she was refering to the Geno costume in 4, or the Geno spirit, but I don't think they were actually confirming him as playable.

Big slip up, but not quite a leak.

Not that it matters cuz we all know he's in ;D

cheeseseatbelt

Smash Cadet
there's too much stuff that's happened in the last few days for this all to be a coincidence I feel. the GameStop fumble, E3 is right around the corner, with past e3s showing off fan favorite characters, backing from insiders (though not to the level of shinobi) ... it's mirroring banjo in a way. something's in the air...

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I know this looks really good for us, but please remember to hype responsibly. Don't let your emotions run wild, because if we don't even get a reveal Monday I don't want to see everyone freak out and despair.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
canvas(1).png

Oh yea, it's really feeling like the endgame now boys. (Don't forget the Music Takedowns, The Seven Squares, the general timeline of events that's been established since last E3, whatever the hell Papagenos got told (I think it's related to Legacy XP anyway), Square seeming not to be done with Smash based on new spirit events, the fact 2020 is clearly very Mario-focused for Nintendo due to the 35th anniversary, and I guess Cacomallow depending on where you stand. MAN Geno has a lot going for him doesn't he.)

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Oh hey! It's good to see you here! We met on PapaGeno's Discord. im Isaac

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
if he isn't in at this point it's one of the most unfortunate series of coincidences i've ever seen. of course, not the first time i've said this (my grinch leak copypasta is still regularly posted on /v/) but again i'm really feeling like it's more likely than not this time

Powerman293

Smash Ace
if he isn't in at this point it's one of the most unfortunate series of coincidences i've ever seen. of course, not the first time i've said this (my grinch leak copypasta is still regularly posted on /v/) but again i'm really feeling like it's more likely than not this time
Copy Pasta?

D

Deleted member

I know everyone's mainly focused on the Geno part of the Gamestop video, but, if you haven't already, you should watch the whole thing. She talks about how she loves Super Mario RPG and how it led to the Paper Mario series. And yes, because Super Mario RPG is a really awesome game, people (like me) would freak out if Geno were to be announced for Smash.

And, on a side note, hope Pamela Horton gets well soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom