• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet
I don't know what to think. In the video, Pamela Horton also erroneously mentions SMRPG was the "only Mario game developed by Square" yet we also got the Fortune Street games, Mario Hoops 3-on-3, and Mario Sports Mix. It doesn't seem like she read off a script either, and is just very misinformed about the history of some games (especially considering she's a gaming Youtuber with a sizeable following thanks to her association with Smosh).

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely hope Gamestop is the one who handed her a general script and they screwed up big time.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
In the video, Pamela Horton also erroneously mentions SMRPG was the "only Mario game developed by Square" yet we also got the Fortune Street games, Mario Hoops 3-on-3, and Mario Sports Mix.
She is technically correct. The best kind of correct
Super Mario RPG was the only Mario game made by Square. The other titles you mentioned were all developed by Square Enix.

I know that's kind of splitting hairs but she was technically not wrong.

Griselda

Smash Lord
..So, I just saw this video - it's another of those creepy SM64 videos, but at a certain point it uses off-key SMRPG music in the background. And one of the comments said "When Geno finally comes back but he just wants to eat your dreams." I laughed for an unreasonable amount of time, but maybe that's also because I'm sleep deprived.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Before anyone starts freaking out if something isn't shown at 10am just remember they haven't been consistent with announcement times this year. I'm expecting this morning, but they could push this miserable wait to Sunday if they wanted to promote their ****ty Paper Mario game today

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So here's the thing...I'm generally a perfectly reasonable, logical, open minded person who likes to see things from all angles before coming to a conclusion. This GameStop stuff is certainly suspicious, but I do genuinely believe that it was just an honest mistake followed by several more mistakes. The truth is that many people lack fundamental communication skills even in occupations where they should be required and I think this GameStop stuff really means nothing other than proving that sad truth.

Beyond that I'm not even entirely convinced that we are getting a direct at all on Monday. It seems like an odd day for a direct and people have been crying wolf all year with it almost never really amounting to anything. But we do have a lot backing these direct rumors and there's something in the air that just feels like something big is about to happen.

Equally, I'm not convinced that this is going to be a crazy year for Nintendo. I trust Fatman, but there's no guarantee that what he's heard and what he speculates about will come to fruition despite his fact checking efforts and all the research he puts into this endeavour. The Twitter accounts are suspicious indeed but others have pointed out the possibility of a long con. Honestly with how many fruitless rumors there have been of a phantom direct this year, who's to say it wasn't a long con set up for a previous rumor that didn't pan out and now that there is a lot of information backing an upcoming direct these Twitter accounts are coming out of the woodwork? Then again...while TOK may be controversial and MP4 in a developmental black hole, and with BotW 2 we know these games were games from series that fans desperately wanted more of and Nintendo decided to acknowledge that demand with 3 games already confirmed so it's definitely plausible that they have more in store for us. I like to villainize Nintendo as much as the next guy, but let's not pretend that these 3 games aren't huge deals for a lot of fans. And honestly it really does seem more likely that at least some of these Twitter's are legit. It's hard to tell what's real and what's not because clearly people are already trying to replicate these potential leaks with fake ones.

Geno has so much evidence in general stacked up in his favor even if it is circumstantial and only inadvertently hints at playable Geno instead of outright saying playable Geno. And I really believe Fatman would not allow us to get our hopes up if he genuinely didn't have evidence that there is a reason to be hopeful. It has been such a crazy ride. Geno can never just be the same as other characters or have the same kind of evidence or ever have anything substantial that finally gives us closure for sure. Darn you and your unique circumstances Geno! Why do you have to be so special?

All this really to say...**** It! I'm all aboard the Geno Hype Train mother ****ers! He's coming! He's in! Ain't nothing gonna stop me now! Come on Geno boys and girls help me take all this logic and throw it out the ****in' window! Geno is coming to Smash Ultimate and detractors can suck it! Woo baby! Let's enjoy this wild ride! Edit: CHOO! CHOO! Next stop Nintendo's Land of Granted Wishes!

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
If there is at least one thing that can point to the direct on Monday is the maintenance on Monday, that has been a fairly consistent theme with directs/announcements there is some kind of maintenance later that day.

EDIT: Specifically, there are three dates: 7/20 (Parental Controls on IOS and Android) and 7/27 & 8/3 (E-Shop).

So if the direct is not this Monday ... then maybe next Monday since that is another planned maintenance ... which may be more likely since it specifically affects the E-Shop.

Oye.

I've never would have thought I'd say this ... but NINTENDO BE MORE LIKE SONY AND MICROSOFT AND TELL US YOUR PLANS!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Before anyone starts freaking out if something isn't shown at 10am just remember they haven't been consistent with announcement times this year. I'm expecting this morning, but they could push this miserable wait to Sunday if they wanted to promote their ****ty Paper Mario game today
They've announced Directs on days when games of theirs released before, and Paper Mario is the last game they have with any confirmed release date. The rest of the year is otherwise unknown

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
They've announced Directs on days when games of theirs released before, and Paper Mario is the last game they have with any confirmed release date. The rest of the year is otherwise unknown
Example of Directs announced on such days?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
There's this air of panic to everything

--The video went private
--The comment has been pinned and unpinned
--It's been edited multiple times
--The third edit (We only have screenshots of the latest two iterations of their statement) had to outright deny knowing information ahead of time even though we know that's untrue given how often GameStop knows about Directs ahead of time and prepares for them internally with SKUs and maintenance

I think my original theory was correct: The video was filmed at a time when Geno's reveal was impending at an upcoming Nintendo event, but plans changed and everything got shunted back to July, but this video slipped through the cracks because it was just a random off-hand comment of information that would have been old at the time the video would go live anyways

I'm 70/30 on this being an actual leak that managed to get through without anyone thinking too hard on it until now
Had it not been for the fact that the french printing company that the supposed "grinchleaker" worked for pulled down a video that got attention and sort of had a panic attack on their own with statement and everything, I would have been with you

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Uh-oh
20200717_082850.jpg

...what does this mean? Is a Direct announcement not happening today?

( Fatmanonice Fatmanonice what do you make of this? Since we just had that discussion not too long ago that you think this guy is credible.)

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The most frustrating thing would be if Nintendo has seen all their fanbases go crazy towards all these hints, weird activities, coincidences and rumors and they still decide that being silent is the best decision.

Their year right now only has Bakugan confirmed. That is inexcusable for a name as big as Nintendo. Their actions this year has made Nintendo look like a bunch of amateurs, like shadow dropping a major update for Mario Maker 2 but using a Treehouse to give 20 minutes to a 'Who the hell cares?' game (sorry to Bakugan fans, but its not hype). Or announcing a new Paper Mario, going silent on details until literally a week before release and then releasing an interview the day before that practically sabotages the game and brutually counters their claims that they were 'listening to fans.'

Nintendo not onlt has to do something, they have to do something smart and fast.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I personally am not counting on a Direct announcement today. I would love it if they did announce the Direct, but usually with normal Directs, they wait the day before to announce a Direct is coming. Of course they can break patterns, but I'm still not sure if today will be the day for the announcement.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Uh-oh
View attachment 278862
...what does this mean? Is a Direct announcement not happening today?

( Fatmanonice Fatmanonice what do you make of this? Since we just had that discussion not too long ago that you think this guy is credible.)
Potentially another delay but it's just another one of those things we just need to wait out.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I personally am not counting on a Direct announcement today. I would love it if they did announce the Direct, but usually with normal Directs, they wait the day before to announce a Direct is coming. Of course they can break patterns, but I'm still not sure if today will be the day for the announcement.
Well tbh directs are never really announced at the weekend and direct dates are definitely quite hectic in terms of when they are announced. I originally thought it was 2 says before but then they started doing it one etc while the tradition of them not doing anything on weekends has quite consistently held up at least for general directs. I'm not really doing this to be much of an optimist either as if they don't announce it today, that almost fully kills the idea of a Monday direct.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
God I'm so tired of "insiders" like Marko and their inability to just be clear cut with info. I know some people could be like "Oh he has to be discreet to avoid Nintendo's gaze", but this rubs me the wrong way and reminds of when Sabi did this back before we knew who Fighter #5 was. Constantly being vague and not giving clear answers just to toy around with people (and I know a good number of people in the thread remembers that).

I'm only worried about Marko because I just worry about Nintendo delaying something once again. I hope my fears age absolutely horribly and that I get BTFO'd.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Ngl a shadow drop direct would piss me off since a lot of people including me are inevitably going to get spoiled through twitter or something. I just really hope if there is a direct it gets normally announced

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
About MarkoMaro's post, as the optimistic person I am, I think he could just be saying he doesn't want any tears himself because with all the rumors circulating, he might not wanna get disappointed if, somehow, these rumors do end up being fake.

I personally am still a believer we're getting a Direct on July 20 because I feel like their is more things in favor of that aside from insiders saying their will be one like the GameStop SKUs and the Switch maintenance happening on the 20, which always happens the day of a Direct.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Nothing. Can't really say I'm too surprised. Unless Nintendo has a change of heart and decided to start announcing general directs on weekends, it probably isn't happening unless we get a shadow drop which is unlikely. Either way I would like to hear what the insiders have to say about it.

Could be announced later but I doubt it

Last edited:

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
And nothing. No surprise there.
Nothing. Can't really say I'm too surprised. Unless Nintendo has a change of heart and decided to start announcing general directs on weekends, it probably isn't happening unless we get a shadow drop which is unlikely. Either way I would plenty hear what the insiders have to say about it.

Could be announced later but I doubt it
We have the whole day left... Can't give up yet, they could easily just announce it later in the day like they have for other things before.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I don't get why people give up far too early for an announcement. I don't believe Nintendo has a set in stone schedule for when they announce things. They just announce things when they feel like it. We've got the whole day ahead of us. They can still announce a Direct sometime today.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
hey guys reminder there are no patterns for announcements anymore

thanks for coming to my ted talk

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I don't get why people give up far too early for an announcement. I don't believe Nintendo has a set in stone schedule for when they announce things. They just announce things when they feel like it. We've got the whole day ahead of us. They can still announce a Direct sometime today.
They probably do have an announcement schedule but it's just more flexible than you'd expect. For instance directs are typically announced at most 2 or 3 days before they release but sometimes it's one etc.

It would also be pretty weird to just announce stuff when they feel like it as they would need some kind of internal schedule and some advanced prep just so the whole thing doesn't go messy. That and they usually do announce directs at precisely a new hour interval exactly.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
You guys can wait 15 years for Geno to get into Smash but not a few more hours to call it a day with this Direct not happening? =P

Even if they don’t announce it today, there’s never been precedence set before for a Direct during COVID. Maybe it’ll be announced Sunday, announced Monday (maybe the rumored 20th was the day it was supposed to be announced), or even just shadow dropped.

Give it some time, guys.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
we could definitely get a direct today, but nintendo is an international company worth 11 figures. They absolutely do not handle things by the seat of their pants and just do whatever they feel like in the moment. If any plans were scheduled to change at any moment no self respecting business would ever work with or associate themselves with them because hundreds of thousands if not millions of people are involved in these systems. Whatever we end up getting was always going to be the plan for quite some time now, I'd wager at least since the start of july.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom