• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I'm about three beers in after a successful interview for a managerial position and a lot of fantastic news from one of my contacts hard backing three of my Season 2 predictions earlier today so I'm gradually getting there.
unnamed (1).gif

And which of these three predictions were they? If you don't mind sharing.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Yea, the world seems like a good place to start. It's arguably the most unique interpretation of the Mushroom Kingdom we've actually seen in a Mario Game. Sure, there's plently of distinct, weird, and wacky locations in games like Superstar Saga, Thousand Year Door, Super Paper Mario, even in mainline games like Sunshine or Odyssey. But the difference between all of those and SMRPG is that they all clearly place themselves outside of Mario's traditional world, on some far off island, kingdom, or dimension, almost like they're trying to avoid messing with the main Mario world. Super Mario RPG doesn't, rather than seperate itself it chooses to integrate it, this is meant to be the main Mario world, and I love how it puts a lot of it's own spin and interpretations based on what was known and established about Mario's world at the time, without being afraid to add more too it.

With all that said, what is your guys favorite visual/lore aspect of the world? It could be a specific location you visit, or how certain areas of the game tie together.

Personally, one of my favorite aspects is a pretty small one. I love the fact that when you're running up Booster Hill, you can actually see other locations in the backround like the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario's Pad, and Barrel Volcano. They're all in the geographically correct locations as well which really nice attention to detail. My favorite part of it though is Bowser's Castle, how distinct it looks with Exor sticking out of it, it's what caused me to notice the detail in the backround in the first-place. Most importantly, it's a subtle reminder of what the true goal of Mario's quest throughout the Mushroom Kingdom is, to recover the 7 Star Pieces and defeat Smithy, at a time in the game that goes completely off course of that due to Booster.

View attachment 278331
For me, I want to touch on Star Hill and how its simplicity make it a great area.
356.png

You would think with the idea of going to a place that has star sprites that carry wishes would look more...extravagant? Instead, it is very simple shades of blue, green and yellow that give off that "Starry Night" feel to it. Stepping on meteorites and hearing the wishes of everyone around the Mushroom Kingdom is really unique.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think my favorite thing about SMRPG was that it felt so different from a Mario game both in terms of the world and the genre of game, almost to a point where Mario / Peach / Bowser feel out of place but somehow familiar at the same time. It was a great combination of elements, I’d love to see a modern day spin on it, SMRPG2 would be amazing.

D

Deleted member

I'm about three beers in after a successful interview for a managerial position and a lot of fantastic news from one of my contacts hard backing three of my Season 2 predictions earlier today so I'm gradually getting there.
Oh, congratulations on that interview! Good to hear! I wish you luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I think my favorite thing about SMRPG was that it felt so different from a Mario game both in terms of the world and the genre of game, almost to a point where Mario / Peach / Bowser feel out of place but somehow familiar at the same time. It was a great combination of elements, I’d love to see a modern day spin on it, SMRPG2 would be amazing.
Maybe I’m speaking out of turn here, but I think for many of us, SMRPG was a nice tease of what a deep Mario “lore” could have been. It was the first Mario game to give us dynamic character relationships and strong character development.

Like you said, it had a unique world, and that world felt so so deep. Deep enough that multiple sequels could have visited the same world.

Am I on to something here? Can I get a “what what”?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I'll just name one because it's the least I'm personally invested in but another Capcom rep. It's just nice because this is the first update on literally anything Smash I've gotten in like four months.
When it’s all coming together
E8388F51-6E93-4FD5-BFFF-F5A760E347AC.png
A60C466C-E851-49C6-A937-D9B50D81FBF9.jpeg
E885B7C4-E8B4-438B-98C9-A90B8E46532F.jpeg

T2by4

Smash Lord
I'll just name one because it's the least I'm personally invested in but another Capcom rep. It's just nice because this is the first update on literally anything Smash I've gotten in like four months.
1593527864404.gif

You didn't even name one, only said it's from capcom. You're killing me, was one of them the doll or not?

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Patience. If I were Fatman, I would not want to spoil it for people.

Capcom though...I have a couple in my head and would be excited for like 2.
I get it, but saying "oh these three guys are what my guys heard" and not expecting to get asked to who they are drives me nuts. It's the vagueness people put out that irks me sometimes. I'm sure he means well, it just drives me crazy when people do that.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
*Objections intensify*

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Man y’all all for getting spoiled on stuff huh?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
With how Fatman said the Capcom rep was his least invested one, I'm pretty sure we all know who he is talking about if y'all have been paying close attention to his predictions over the past several months.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Ooooh, sounds spicy! And congrats on the successful interview!

So Dante, eh? Not surprising, I guess.
As for the other two... I'm willing to bet one of them's the G Man.

I'm like that evil russian chick from the worst Indiana Jones movie pretty much all of the time: I want to know.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
When it’s all coming together
View attachment 278340
This party's getting crazy!
LET'S ROCK!
The surprise is nice, for sure, but personally I love the feeling of having these coincidences that slowly built up pay off that Banjo gave me, and I think it'd be the same for Geno. I still got really hyped for Terry despite him getting leaked and hated the Byleth surprise.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Personally if Geno is happening. I don’t want to know. I want my reaction to be full blown emotion. And that emotion will be tempered if we keep getting hints and leaks. But that’s just me.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, I’ve been following Geno speculation for quite some time now. I just want to know if Geno is in so I can get off this roller coaster. I’ll take Vergeben, Shinobi, that Ryu datamine, Ken leak, something. No disrespect to Sakurai, Nintendo, and Square.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
**** yeah, you go man.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Personally if Geno is happening. I don’t want to know. I want my reaction to be full blown emotion. And that emotion will be tempered if we keep getting hints and leaks. But that’s just me.
A million times this! Even though, I knew Banjo was coming, it was still awesome to see. Now imagine the energy without being spoiled...EARTH SHATTERING!

Also, Congratulations Fatmanonice Fatmanonice on your interview!

T2by4

Smash Lord
To be honest, I’ve been following Geno speculation for quite some time. I just want to know if Geno is in so I can get off this roller coaster. I’ll take Vergeben, Shinobi, that Ryu datamine, Ken leak, something. No disrespect to Sakurai, Nintendo, and Square.
This. I'd rather the bandaid be ripped off if he is deconfirmed.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
With how Fatman said the Capcom rep was his least invested one, I'm pretty sure we all know who he is talking about if y'all have been paying close attention to his predictions over the past several months.
Y-yea we all know, of course we know!

(someone please tell me)

Firox

Smash Master
Whoa, whoa, whoa guys! Let's not fly off the handle here. When people start throwing around the "I know who's coming but I wanna play coy" act, it's kind of a red flag. We've seen this a thousand times before and more often than not it turns into "See, I told you guys who it WASN'T so that means I knew stuff" when they really didn't. BEWARE, people, that's all I'm saying. I'm hype for stuff too, but it's times like these when false prophets come out of the woodwork. If people REALLY know stuff, then they'll have the testicular fortitude to fess up.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
im in the same boat where I don’t want all the answers or reveals in things since being surprised is fun. I don’t want to know the other fighters before they are revealed. Geno is the exception since it’s been a 20 year wait.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I like getting spoiled, honestly. That's kind of why I enjoy doing this. For example, if information from as far back as 2018 winds up being true and Geno's coming, I'll be excited either way. I know there's definitely a divide with and that's probably the source of most of my clashes, honestly. I especially like spoilers if I'm able to figure them out myself. That's the wild thing about this is that nobody has really distinctly told me anyone but have merely presented their own evidence for things. It's detective work and it's a hell of a lot of fun.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
...one of my contacts hard backing three of my Season 2 predictions earlier today...
How reliable is this contact when it comes to characters? I've only been lurking here since pretty much around Banjo's time, so I don't know about before then, but I don't recall any of your contacts backing Terry, Byleth, or Min Min. Not that you said, anyway

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
With a Direct likely on the horizon, what has been the most emotional reveal for you all to this point? Oddly enough, it was Lucas in Smash 4 for me:

This video especially did me in. I saw a lot of very heartfelt web comics when Lucas wasn't in the base game and, aside from the Ice Climbers, it was one of the only cut characters that made me genuinely sad. Lucas then coming back and essentially confirming more DLC was a weirdly uplifting moment. There's also the fact that Lucas was pretty much the last character that Iwata presented before he died and of course his passing is something that still hurts to this day. I know it's an Earthbound track but, Smiles and Tears really a perfect descriptor of that reveal.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
With a Direct likely on the horizon, what as been the most emotional reveal for you all to this. Oddly enough, it was Lucas in Smash 4 for me:

This video especially did me in. I saw a lot of very heartfelt web comics when Lucas wasn't in the base game and, aside from the Ice Climbers, it was one of the only cut characters that made me genuinely sad. Lucas then coming back and essentially confirming more DLC was a weirdly uplifting moment. There's also the fact that Lucas was pretty much the last character that Iwata presented before he died and of course his passing is something that still hurts to this day. I know it's an Earthbound track but, Smiles and Tears really a perfect descriptor of that reveal.
Mine would have to be Cloud, because the emotion I felt then was raw shock like the rest of the community. I only knew Cloud by the massive sword, and I didn't know that he came from FF7 at the time, so the moment the camera panned down the Buster Sword, I was like "W H A T ? !" Needless to say, I was blown away.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
With a Direct likely on the horizon, what as been the most emotional reveal for you all to this. Oddly enough, it was Lucas in Smash 4 for me:

Banjo Kazooie. I love the bear and the bird. I screamed to the point that my parents wondered if I had another PTSD attack. For Smash 4, it was Robin and Lucina because I´m a massive Robcina fan and we didn´t get Chrom (no offense to him, but I´m tired to only get the "generic blue-haired lord yet again,,, I said it before, and I say it again... Black Knight or Lyn should have taken Chroms spot.)

MattX20

Smash Hero

I imagine Geno would be that emotional reveal for me.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

That's pretty fair at this point. The reason I hold the August 2018 Smash Direct in such high regard where it's arguably my favorite announcement Nintendo has ever done bar maybe Odyssey is how K.Rool never got leaked. Oh, I GOT WHAT I WANTED out of the rest of that direct. 100+ stages that were actually remade unlike Smash 4, 800+ songs, HAZARD SWITCH, and then it's like "yea we fixed Sudden Death, added a meter, here's an official All-Star Versus and Iron Man mode btw, Classic Mode is unique to each character" and not a single character I wanted was deconfirmed for the entire direct, yet all the assist trophies still felt like a step up from Smash 4, and most importantly, I got one of my most wanted in Simon Belmont, complete in his NES Conan Design rather than the dumbass red-head one they keep pushing, AND I got Richter as well?

But here's the thing, Simon was accidentally leaked the night before, but more importantly had been discussed to death for months due to Verge leaking him at E3. That didn't really dampen my excitement, I was ecstatic, but I had also been expecting Simon, and despite getting so much of what I wanted gameplay wise, it didn't REALLY fix my most annoyed issue with Smash 4 at the time, not just the roster itself but the seeming logic behind it all. Even after Ridley, after Simon, I just kind of assumed that was all I was going to get this game like how I got Mega Man and Mac in 4 and nothing else. They fit into the logic I had found myself in after 4 where "Oh, you only get into Smash if you're in a new relevant Nintendo game, you're from whatever NES game Sakurai wants to suck off, or you're a giant third party icon like Cloud."

So imagine how my jaw fell through the floor when after just expecting the direct to end we get god damn KING K. ROOL OUT OF NOWHERE. He wasn't leaked by anyone, there was no accidental music upload or trademark shenanigans, he just walks in, looking absolutely PERFECT with that amazing remix blasting, and shatters every notion I had about Smash for the past several years up to that point, and how Nintendo was going to view Donkey Kong as a franchise going forward. It was this rare moment where it really felt like Nintendo was actually listening, that the ballot really did matter, that the sky really WAS the limit this time around. (Of course out of the ten characters they've added since then you could argue only one of them was really highly requested (I like most of the choices, but my opinion doesn't change that) but that's not important)

Of course, I eventually did have a similar thing happen with E3 2019, where I got two of my most wanted in the same presentation back to back, but A. I was watching it on a phone on a car ride leaving Denver when that happened, and B. it was more of a vindicating "I WAS RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS" than an insane surprise.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman

MegaMan easily, the surprise factor even after I was warmed up got me good. Also cause that was I time I talked about smash a lot offline too, something I almost never do now. The only other reveal that comes close would be Sonic. Video reveals for just one fighter were unheard of then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom