• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
With a Direct likely on the horizon, what as been the most emotional reveal for you all to this. Oddly enough, it was Lucas in Smash 4 for me:

This video especially did me in. I saw a lot of very heartfelt web comics when Lucas wasn't in the base game and, aside from the Ice Climbers, it was one of the only cut characters that made me genuinely sad. Lucas then coming back and essentially confirming more DLC was a weirdly uplifting moment. There's also the fact that Lucas was pretty much the last character that Iwata presented before he died and of course his passing is something that still hurts to this day. I know it's an Earthbound track but, Smiles and Tears really a perfect descriptor of that reveal.
Definitely Joker for me. Persona is one of my favorite game series of all time, along with Smash (obviously), so it was like a dream come true... I think I woke up the other people in my house with how loud I was, as it was just before midnight for me when it happened. Ended up watching the trailer over and over until I could play Smash, as it unlocked at midnight that night I believe.

EDIT: And to kind of go along with it, in the overview video for Joker, getting the music and different stage colors based on a couple other Persona games, including the one that got me into the series (P4) just made it even better.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
With a Direct likely on the horizon, what as been the most emotional reveal for you all to this. Oddly enough, it was Lucas in Smash 4 for me:

This video especially did me in. I saw a lot of very heartfelt web comics when Lucas wasn't in the base game and, aside from the Ice Climbers, it was one of the only cut characters that made me genuinely sad. Lucas then coming back and essentially confirming more DLC was a weirdly uplifting moment. There's also the fact that Lucas was pretty much the last character that Iwata presented before he died and of course his passing is something that still hurts to this day. I know it's an Earthbound track but, Smiles and Tears really a perfect descriptor of that reveal.
Banjo & Kazooie's reveal at last year's (2019) E3 Nintendo Direct really sent them feelings flying for me. More than my desire to seeing the lovable duo from the N64 era finally make it into the roster, it was the historic happenstance of Microsoft actually allowing for their rival Nintendo to use one of their IPs for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. They nailed the trailer reveal, the render of the characters, the stage, the spirits, the MUSIC. Even though we had the inclusions of long-time requested characters like Simon Belmont (and Richter as a bonus), Ridley, and King K. Rool in the base roster, Banjo & Kazooie pretty broke the barrier for other characters that have remained in a similar position for roughly the same time or even more (like our boy Geno).

Griselda

Smash Lord
Whoa, whoa, whoa guys! Let's not fly off the handle here. When people start throwing around the "I know who's coming but I wanna play coy" act, it's kind of a red flag. We've seen this a thousand times before and more often than not it turns into "See, I told you guys who it WASN'T so that means I knew stuff" when they really didn't. BEWARE, people, that's all I'm saying. I'm hype for stuff too, but it's times like these when false prophets come out of the woodwork. If people REALLY know stuff, then they'll have the testicular fortitude to fess up.
...I spent far too long staring at this trying to figure out if it was some sort of secret message because my eyes latched onto 'BEWARE' and I'm currently listening to Beware the Forest's Mushrooms.

Sonic, in terms of pure emotion. When he hit Mario to the beat of Live and Learn and when they posed together at the end. The Olympics stuff is one thing, but Sonic and Mario actually physically fighting each other and teaming up against other people feels like the culmination of the 90s Console Wars - you know they're still rivals in each other's hearts, but the way Sonic views Mario has become much like the way he views Knuckles or Shadow, where he'll tease and taunt and definitely test himself against them, but when it comes down to it they've got each other's back and woe to anyone or anything that they decide to team up against.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
With a Direct likely on the horizon, what as been the most emotional reveal for you all to this.
Mega Man, Ridley and Banjo.

I was 8 years old when Mega Man got announced and prior to that I had played through and loved the old Mega Man games (apart from 7 and 8) and in general got super into Mega Man. Seeing the Blue Bomber on that mountain using all the moves I'd used myself was the best, and it was all topped off with his Final Smash- a love letter to all of his incarnations throughout the years. When I think of Mega Man in Smash I'm always reminded of the Brawl in the Family video:
Sakurai cares.

Ridley is different in that Mega Man was generally accepted while he was the target of mockery. He's too big, they said. Sakurai had shot him down so he was out, forever relegated to boss duty. When Smash Ultimate got announced, Nintendo wanted to open speculation with a showstopper- go big or go home. Ridley's inclusion into Super Smash Brothers Ultimate was the last thing shown off at all of E3 that year. Not a bad way to end, with a huge flag flying reading "Your Fan Rules Are Dead (and so are Mega Man and Mario)". Ridley's tagline is a walking "F*ck you." to those who dared to doubt him- he was no longer a boss or a stage hazard- he had finally hit the Big Time. He's also really fun to play.

Banjo was brought into Smash through pure fan demand refusing to let the Bear and Bird die. Their fans were the number one target of mockery now that Ridley and K. Rool were in, so they took it pretty bad for just under a year, I'd say. However, coincidences kept piling up and they came back. Nintendo didn't choose the modern-day giants of Halo and Minecraft, although they certainly could have, but they went back to their past and plucked an old icon that hadn't been properly used in years to please the fans, lovingly restoring them and placing them in the Gaming Hall of Fame, current relevance be damned.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

For me it’s K. Rool. Donkey Kong Country was the first game I every owned and it’s always been special to me. The whole trailer is paced just so well and finally getting to see the big guy in HD after all those years left me genuinely shaking when I watched it while I was supposed to be working haha. Ridley occupies a similar place in my brain but I was way more confident in him getting in, so while overall I like him more K Rool was the biggest nostalgic add for me.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

For me, it was 100% Cloud Strife. Final Fantasy 7 holds a very special place in my heart and I would say I am on the same level as Maximilian Dood as a fan.

The game was gifted to me when I was young and did not understand RPGs. I went back to it after a year and it quickly became my favorite. It gave me so many emotions
I know everyone says it, but I felt so much pain when Aeirth died and you had to fight Jenova afterwards. very complex emotions for a 10 year old to go through haha.
The game taught me to love stories and it is because of that game, that I went into music as well as the fine arts.

Flash forward to 2015 and that Direct happens. I knew INSTANTLY what was being implied when that dark starry sky was shown and those notes played "Dun dun Deeeeee" I got chills and just weeped when I saw Cloud in action. I must have seen his reveal trailer...372 times?

D0ct0r

Smash Cadet
I was only 7 when Sonic got announced for Brawl, so I was still too young to fully engage in the hype Smash speculation. But man, Sonic is my all-time favorite character and one that's been with me since super early childhood (first game was SA1), so I was still super excited to see him finally in Smash. I'll never forget being so happy when I finally unlocked him and seeing him in Subspace at the very end, lol.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I can already hear Best Guy Ever's Geno video intro opening.

"And now, Best Guy Ever proudly presents..." *curtains begin to rise*
"Tales from the GameFAQs Smashboards Gaiden..."
:2gud:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How reliable is this contact when it comes to characters? I've only been here since pretty much around Banjo's time, so I don't know about before then, but I don't recall any of your contacts backing Terry, Byleth, or Min Min. Not that you said, anyway
This contact did back ARMS and Three Houses content.

The Three Houses "Mii costumes" wound up being ALTs: the three house leaders and male and female Byleth. They didn't hear Waluigi for 5 (they heard Bethesda) and I tried to fill in the blanks for a supposed bonus 6. Here's a screenshot of me talking with a confidant about it in December:

Screenshot_20200713-210910.png

They correctly knew about ARMS in January but I blew them off and went forward with my own prediction of Waluigi for 6:

Screenshot_20200404-200336~2.png

Firox

Smash Master
For me, it was 100% Cloud Strife. Final Fantasy 7 holds a very special place in my heart and I would say I am on the same level as Maximilian Dood as a fan.

The game was gifted to me when I was young and did not understand RPGs. I went back to it after a year and it quickly became my favorite. It gave me so many emotions
I know everyone says it, but I felt so much pain when Aeirth died and you had to fight Jenova afterwards. very complex emotions for a 10 year old to go through haha.
The game taught me to love stories and it is because of that game, that I went into music as well as the fine arts.

Flash forward to 2015 and that Direct happens. I knew INSTANTLY what was being implied when that dark starry sky was shown and those notes played "Dun dun Deeeeee" I got chills and just weeped when I saw Cloud in action. I must have seen his reveal trailer...372 times?
Agreed. Cloud 1000%. The sheer "Holy ****, he actually got in!" factor sticks with me to this day.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So something I've wanted to take some time to talk about for awhile now and haven't really found a good time to since I beat the game about a month ago is the game this thread is actually supposed to be about, Super Mario RPG. I figured that since I'm kind of in a bit of a downer mood about the state of the Mario RPG's in general at the moment due to Origami King, and the fact that it really feels like we are in a "calm before the storm" kind of moment where it seems this drought of Nintendo news might finally be coming to end an in a week from now, and could very well bring Geno with it if the past year of speculation pays off.

I think it's a good idea to take a step back, bring in some positive energy, and talk about the entire reason all of us are even in this thread in the first place. I'm not entirely sure how to start this or structure it, maybe we could just talk about what we each specifically love about the game, maybe we could make it a thing where for the next 7 days we talk about a different aspect of the game each day? I'm just kind of spitballing here, what do you guys think?
Sounds good to me. SMRPG is my favorite game. I never actually owned the game oddly enough, but I grew up with SNES because my grandparents would watch my sister and I after we got off school and they had a SNES to play games like Tetris. I was allowed to play on the SNES as long as I got my homework done before my mom picked us up. A friend allowed me to borrow their copy of SMRPG for awhile and I absolutely loved it. I played through the game what must have been 3 or 4 times before begrudgingly returning the game to my friend.

Having played other Mario games before and having played another RPG in Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (which was a fun game I don't care what anyone says also it has fantastic music like holy cow), SMRPG was really a shock to my system. SMRPG revolutionized some concepts of what your team mates were able to do or equip in an RPG and not only that but totally rebuilt Mushroom Kingdom from the ground up with new engaging characters, lore, and story. I was stunned to not only have Bowser not be the main enemy, but also freaking join your team! And all the characters including preexisting ones has so much fresh personality. The game is short but it's an adventure that's so jam packed full of content and world-building that the experience was truly life changing and was what really sealed the deal for me in terms of actually getting into gaming.

I would always use Geno because I absolutely loved his design, personality, function, and uniqueness and Bowser because like holy crap you can have Bowser on your team. The Forrest Maze was an extremely memorable part of the game for me because of Geno and Bowyer being such a weirdly cool boss. The music was also unforgettable for me. Overall I fondly look back on every part of the game and the game has held up to time surprisingly well when I found myself playing it again on virtual console.

Beyond the game itself, SMRPG also just makes me think of my grandparents and a time in my life where everything felt new and exciting without feeling overwhelming and inducing anxiety and panic attacks. SMRPG is just nostalgia on steroids for me and will probably always be my favorite game due to the impact that it had on me growing up and now when games don't affect me like they did back then (some do like Undertale but it's not as common now).

Geno is probably my favorite video game character of all time because of how unique he is. No other character can boast being a star-possessed wooden doll that can shoot their arms like rockets, shoot bullets out of their fingers, shoot explosions out of their elbows, turn into a cannon that can literally shoot out the sun for some reason, and cast all kinds of flashy star magic on top of that packed into a sleek and memorable design.

Geno has been my most wanted fighter for Smash since I heard that Melee was happening. This was back when I thought he was a Mario character owned by Nintendo and understood nothing about game ownership lol. After playing Metroid Prime, Ridley was the only character to ever come close to being as wanted in Smash as Geno for me personally.

On top of all that, I came here because when Joker was revealed I got really excited for what Smash DLC could be and thought that Geno actually had a chance. Once I came into this community, my eyes were opened to how popular Geno really was and it kind of surprised me because of all the crap I had read online before. I'm glad I came and I genuinely care for this community. This is a good group of guys and gals. Those are basically all the reasons I came here and all the reasons I decided to stay.

The most emotional reveal for me so far was Ridley. Other characters certainly shocked me and got me excited for Smash, but Ridley was the first time I really lost it. Lucas coming back in Sm4sh was also huge though because I played Lucas the most in Brawl.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

For me it was easily the Banjo & Kazooie reveal. Been a huge fan of the games since I was a bab, and everything that came after Tooie left me a bit... miffed? I wouldn't say jaded or super bothered or anything, but it still sucked. I never thought they even had much of a chance to get in, especially considering where we were in terms of third-party characters at the time. Even when Ultimate came around and the Fighter Ballot was ancient history, even as a part of me believed that Banjo was pretty likely especially if they were doing DLC (an intuition that was right on the money), the other part of me still thought it was a damned pipedream.

And then Shinobi chimed in, and everything began falling into place. Over 18 years, a good portion of my life later, and there they were. I don't think any Smash reveal will make me feel that way ever again. My reaction says it all, really. Also this:

King K. Rool's reveal is a close second for me as well. Never in a million years would I have guessed that big green **** would stomp his ass into frame to a mariachi rendition of his theme song. **** was wild.

Paraster

Smash Lord
With a Direct likely on the horizon, what as been the most emotional reveal for you all to this.
I don't think a Smash reveal has ever gotten me legitimately emotional (outside of shocked laughter, induced by Banjo and the Sans and Vault Boy costumes). Can't tell whether nothing has spoken to me enough or I'm just more stoic than others.

I will say that if Quote from Cave Story gets in, that probably will get me emotional due to how much I love Cave Story and how long I've wanted Quote in (not hurt by my strong desire to see ANY indie fighter).

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
This contact did back ARMS and Three Houses content.

The Three Houses "Mii costumes" wound up being ALTs: the three house leaders and male and female Byleth. They didn't hear Waluigi for 5 (they heard Bethesda) and I tried to fill in the blanks for a supposed bonus 6. Here's a screenshot of me talking with a confidant about it in December:

View attachment 278345
They correctly knew about ARMS in January but I blew them off and went forward with my own prediction of Waluigi for 6:

View attachment 278346
Right, I knew they said Three Houses content, but it wasn’t a character, so I’m just curious if it could be a reverse situation where it’s not actually a character, especially when they heard Bethesda for a character. This is the same source that backed those three today? Interesting that so far they’ve only gotten first party stuff

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
While there were many amazing trailers that opened up the possibilities for what Smash can be (such as Cloud) or how surprising reveals can be (such as Joker 30 minutes before the game is out), I think the trailer I have the fondest memories is still EVERYONE IS HERE, because it was the actual first time I've understood what it feels like to have nostalgia for the games you loved when you're little and it's one of my favorite game trailers of all time (though no one can top the January 2017 Zelda Trailer)

As for the teaser from that twitter, I think it's a clip from BOTW2. At first, I didn't give it any value, then I remembered when Master0fHyrule leaked the texture of all things from the new Battlefield stage in Ultimate in March/April 2018, so I don't doubt some more out there leaks happening (I don't know why, I also listen the vocal tone of the King of Hyrule amidst the editing as well). I have a gut feeling Nintendo will save "E3" once again this year. Another E3 with a pretty low bar for them to blow us away...

As for the other two... I'm willing to bet one of them's the G Man.
Wow, never thought I'd see the day where Half-Life would be in Smash! :4pacman:

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Like D D0ct0r above, seeing that one Subspace Emissary cutscene where Sonic crashes the party and prevents Tabuu from launching one final attack really gave me the feels. At the time, I was around 11 years old and didn't even know that Smash speculation was a thing, and I was really getting into Sonic through the Mega Collection and Adventure games (all on the GameCube), so seeing him in Smash along with Nintendo's All-Stars (and Snake) while I was actually playing the game was essentially the moment for me... at least back then.

For more recent stuff, it wasn't so much one reveal, as it was a series of reveals over time. In the lead up to Ultimate's release, Daisy, Ridley, Simon and Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, even Isabelle to a lesser extent... seeing all these fan-favorite characters making it into Smash was quite the joy ride and gave the sense that, yes, this really is the ultimate Smash game (even with some bumps along the way, like Waluigi, Bomberman, and Shovel Knight all being Assist Trophies)... at least before it crashed and burned with the infamous November 1st Direct (two non-fan-favorites, plus the whole Assist Trophy massacre), but then things picked back up a bit with Hero and Banjo getting announced. Even if I wasn't too attached to Banjo due to not playing the original games, seeing a long-awaited Smash request finally happen was still awesome.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Right, I knew they said Three Houses content, but it wasn’t a character, so I’m just curious if it could be a reverse situation where it’s not actually a character, especially when they heard Bethesda for a character. This is the same source that backed those three today? Interesting that so far they’ve only gotten first party stuff
I also want to note that I didn't meet this contact until after Terry but they were someone who had worked with Papagenos among others since probably March 2019.

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
With a Direct likely on the horizon, what has been the most emotional reveal for you all to this point?
Banjo and Kazooie, easily. Even though I knew about the Shinobi tease, it was still such a surreal moment. One of those moments that I’ll never get to experience ever again.

D

Deleted member

Congratulations on the new position Fatmanonice.

If it’s a Capcom character It’s ether Dante or Phoenix to me.

Most emotional reveal? King K. Rool wanted and supported him in when he finally got added I was smiling like an idiot all day.

Ridley close second good to see the space dragon in. It was unreal to think it actually finally happened was really happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
With a Direct likely on the horizon, what has been the most emotional reveal for you all to this point? Oddly enough, it was Lucas in Smash 4 for me:

In terms of actual reveals? Probably K. Rool and Banjo. But the most emotional I've been about any sort of reveal was when I first saw Grinch leak and thought it was totally legit (yeah, I know), and was so overwhelmed that the wait for our boi was finally over.

Edit: If we're going beyond characters, then it would actually be the Subspace teaser. The idea of all these characters teaming up in an actual adventure with a story and a super dark tone (which was super cool to 9 year old me) was absolutely mindblowing. Thankfully, I'm one of the few people who adores subspace through and through, even beyond the cutscenes, so that totally lived up to the hype for me.

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I also want to note that I didn't meet this contact until after Terry but they were someone who had worked with Papagenos among others since probably March 2019.
I don’t think Papagenos ever said anything about Terry or really any before except Banjo either. I mean if you have reason to trust the guy, that’s cool, but from an outside perspective, all I see is ARMS and a lot of what could have been guesses that were able to be turned into “oh well it was partially correct, just got some information wrong”

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
With a Direct likely on the horizon, what has been the most emotional reveal for you all to this point? Oddly enough, it was Lucas in Smash 4 for me:

Cloud, Ridley and Terry. They all embodied the best thing that Smash does: Doing the impossible. Whether it's because they're too obscure, not really Nintendo, or just considered impossible for some reason they all showed up regardless because that's just how Smash works.

Particularly for me was Terry, he was the first new addition that I really had a close connection to. SNK always had a presence in my life, whether it was with Metal Slug or characters in MUGEN.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Seeing King K. Rool make it into Smash Ultimate was so surreal. So many people tried to bring us King K. Rool fans down before his announcement with how “dead and irrelvant” he was, so it was immensely satisfying to see his debut in the August 2018 Direct. Talk about him shifted from him coming back in anything at all, to discussion about things like his moveset, viability, and how fun he is to use. It felt like a dream, and it still does. I have mained King K. Rool ever since his announcement, going to tournaments with him, and I am honored to be able to enjoy Smash with the character I wanted the most.

Everything I said above can also apply to Geno fans. My favorite character reveal was definitely King K. Rool, but I hope to see people react to Geno’s trailer in the same way I did with King K. Rool. The perspective on your dream character drastically changes once they join the battle. I hope to see you guys on the other side very soon.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

Banjo & Kazooie easily. Usually I am not the emotional type of person, but Banjo really hit hard for me. I actually had a few tears roll down my eyes upon getting the announcement. These were characters I thought would never see the light of day on a Nintendo system again, and obviously on top of detractors telling us it would never happen, made things even worse for me. It sucked to see two major Nintendo icons that were starting to become very popular characters being sold out to a competitive company. If you were to tell me in the Brawl, Sm4sh, hell, even the early Ultimate speculation days, my hope for Banjo was at an all-time low. I just had many doubts circulating my head, but with Phil Spencer's willingness, it gave me slight hope that maybe we could see Banjo at that point. And then we got the rumors and evidence circulating around Banjo until it finally happened, and my hype was unbearable at the time.

And don't even get me started on the trailer. This trailer didn't just feel like your run of the mill "character gets in to Smash" trailer. This felt moreso like a Nintendo family reunion. Sure, it borrowed a lot from the K. Rool trailer, but it still did such a good job emphasizing why Banjo & Kazooie were such important characters to us. To see the DK Crew experience the hype when Banjo showed up at their treehouse was a tear-wrenching experience for me, and it was an exact equivalent to the hype that us Banjo supporters felt after being told for so many years it would never happen. Combined with Grant Kirkhope's nostalgic rearrangement of Spiral Mountain made this trailer even more wholesome then it already was, and Banjo & Kazooie posing with the rest of the old and new Nintendo all-stars was surely a sight to behold.

I know Banjo & Kazooie aren't fan-favorites in the community in terms of playstyle, but that doesn't really matter to me. Banjo & Kazooie being confirmed in Smash was just one of my biggest gaming highlights of all time and it would be even more amazing to get that same reaction to Crash or Geno getting in to Smash just like my reaction with Banjo getting in. :)

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
With a Direct likely on the horizon, what has been the most emotional reveal for you all to this point?
The single most impactful to me personally was mega man, easily my most wanted at that point and a series I was something of a superfan of for a sizable portion of my life. I imagine seeing that will not be unlike what you will get seeing geno albeit I had the additional impact of not seeing it coming.

I also had the pleasure of going into e3 2018 and the august direct completely unspoiled so I didn't see ridley, simon, or k rool coming at all. ridley was probably the biggest wtf moment of all after it seems so impossible before that. August was the real winner though as until then I felt like ridley was just the next megaman/cloud and that going to be it, but like pinshadow pinshadow mentioned in his excellent post the direct completely swept me off my feet and redefined what to expect out of a smash game. It really felt like we mattered and were finally listened to, that this was actually about to be the game where everyone left was going to make it. It was that sort of childlike wonder and boundless optimism for the future of ult that ended up getting me involved in spec(and why I believed the grinch leak). It's tough to explain but I haven't felt like that about a game in a very VERY, long time, and who knows if I ever will again.

The fact that we might actually be in the final stretch of our journey in so surreal, this has been one hell of a ride and I'm glad I took it with each and every one of you. This will for sure be an experience I'll never forget.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
Favorite reveal trailer and character up to date for me? My first most wanted ever. This:

09B76906-71B5-42FE-B07B-7F9F06AC65DD.jpeg

After my Blue Bomber is in, my first/most wanted ever/dream pick/ without a single doubt is Geno.

Even if I like others like Skull Kid, Zero, Tails, Knuckles or few others; there is no equal love such as the Mega Man and Geno love (if we talk about First Party also, Link).

So having these 2 Blue guys battling together in the same arena, would be living an utopia for me:

42B4C965-44ED-4A28-B1FC-1BB5A09EF8CF.jpeg

(Credits on the photo to Super100Miki on Deviant Art).

Pretty sure Geno is happening and my Perfect World in Smash (in Gaming in general also) would be complete.

:)

vivala

Smash Journeyman
So having these 2 Blue guys battling together in the same arena, would be living an utopia for me:
That reminds me: why the heck was Geno's spirit represented by Sheik and not Mega Man? The latter seems like a much closer fit in terms of appearance and playstyle.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
That reminds me: why the heck was Geno's spirit represented by Sheik and not Mega Man? The latter seems like a much closer fit in terms of appearance and playstyle.
It’s one of those things that makes sense when you don’t think about it.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
And don't even get me started on the trailer. This trailer didn't just feel like your run of the mill "character gets in to Smash" trailer. This felt moreso like a Nintendo family reunion. Sure, it borrowed a lot from the K. Rool trailer, but it still did such a good job emphasing why Banjo & Kazooie were such important characters to us. To see the DK Crew experience the hype when Banjo showed up at their treehouse was a tear-wrenching experience for me, and it was an exact equivalent to the hype that us Banjo supporters felt after being told for so many years it would never happen. Combined with Grant Kirkhope's nostalgic rearrangement of Spiral Mountain made this trailer even more wholesome then it already was, and Banjo & Kazooie posing with the rest of the old and new Nintendo all-stars was surely a sight to behold.
I know that Geno's reveal trailer could go in many different directions, and most of them would be really cool... but honestly, I kinda want them to just reuse the King K. Rool/Banjo reveal trailer concept one last time. It just seems like the perfect trailer for revealing long-awaited fan favorites.

With King K. Rool, it starts out looking like they're gonna reveal him, only to fake you out with King Dedede being a big troll... and then it fakes you out a second time with the real deal knocking Dedede away and finally appearing with the splash screen text.

With Banjo, it already starts off the same way, so you know you're in for another double-fake out... and compounding that, the jiggy at the beginning essentially spoils the fact that it's a Banjo reveal, but it's still exciting to watch because you know it's building up to a fan-favorite finally getting in.

With Geno, I want them to go all out. Have the Rare gang all chilling in DK's house when they notice a wooden puppet standing outside... except SURPRISE, it's actually a hostile Mii Gunner wearing the "Fake Geno" costume. Then what looks like the real deal Geno appears behind the gunner and... SURPRISE AGAIN, it's another Mii Gunner, and the process just keeps repeating until the Rare gang are all surrounded by Mii Gunners. Then, yet another figure that looks like Geno appears to save the day... except SURPRISE YET AGAIN, it's actually Mega Man, and while he puts up a good fight, the Mii Gunner horde eventually gets the better of him, and it looks like all hope is lost for the Rare gang and the Blue Bomber... only for a whirling projectile to knock away all the Mii Gunners, and after all the fake outs, we're finally treated to the big reveal: GENO GRANTS YOUR WISH!

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I know that Geno's reveal trailer could go in many different directions, and most of them would be really cool... but honestly, I kinda want them to just reuse the King K. Rool/Banjo reveal trailer concept one last time. It just seems like the perfect trailer for revealing long-awaited fan favorites.

With King K. Rool, it starts out looking like they're gonna reveal him, only to fake you out with King Dedede being a big troll... and then it fakes you out a second time with the real deal knocking Dedede away and finally appearing with the splash screen text.

With Banjo, it already starts off the same way, so you know you're in for another double-fake out... and compounding that, the jiggy at the beginning essentially spoils the fact that it's a Banjo reveal, but it's still exciting to watch because you know it's building up to a fan-favorite finally getting in.

With Geno, I want them to go all out. Have the Rare gang all chilling in DK's house when they notice a wooden puppet standing outside... except SURPRISE, it's actually a hostile Mii Gunner wearing the "Fake Geno" costume. Then what looks like the real deal Geno appears behind the gunner and... SURPRISE AGAIN, it's another Mii Gunner, and the process just keeps repeating until the Rare gang are all surrounded by Mii Gunners. Then, yet another figure that looks like Geno appears to save the day... except SURPRISE YET AGAIN, it's actually Mega Man, and while he puts up a good fight, the Mii Gunner horde eventually gets the better of him, and it looks like all hope is lost for the Rare gang and the Blue Bomber... only for a whirling projectile to knock away all the Mii Gunners, and after all the fake outs, we're finally treated to the big reveal: GENO GRANTS YOUR WISH!
This would be such a great trailer. It would definitely be a great jab at the Geno detractors who are confident his Mii Outfit is coming back, and I am most certainly in for more fake outs lol

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don’t think Papagenos ever said anything about Terry or really any before except Banjo either. I mean if you have reason to trust the guy, that’s cool, but from an outside perspective, all I see is ARMS and a lot of what could have been guesses that were able to be turned into “oh well it was partially correct, just got some information wrong”
Like I mentioned in the screencaps, they got Mii costumes and spirit boards in the past too among a number of no -smash things. Here are some conversations where we talk about his interactions with "Mii Costume Guy" and how things get misinterpreted:

Screenshot_20200713-223141.png

Screenshot_20200713-223533.png

vivala

Smash Journeyman

As amazing as that idea is, I feel like they 100% have to go with a WoL-themed reveal. Galeem's plan literally revolves around animating puppets (as in, that's the exact term the game uses to describe the copies of the fighters) with otherworldly spirits. This premise is perfect for Geno! You could have the other fighters battling Galeem's forces, while in the background, hundreds of spirits are possessing puppets. Things are looking grim for our heroes. The camera zooms in on a random spirit (let's say a Goomba) wandering around, looking for a puppet to possess. The Goomba spirit comes upon a strange puppet that the camera doesn't quite show, before there's a light in the sky and a gleaming, spirit-like entity shoots down and knocks Goomba out of the way before claiming the puppet for itself. We cut back to the heroes, who are completely surrounded. A Ganondorf puppet prepares to destroy several heroes with its giant sword, before a blast of energy flies in and destroys it in one hit. Most of the group are confused, but Mario, Bowser, and Peach look excited. The camera pans up and... GENO GRANTS YOUR WISH! (your tagline was too good to pass up)

(PS: love the Bug Fables profile pic!)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Congrats on the position Fatmanonice Fatmanonice !

And if we're talking about our favorite character reveals, mine are Ness, Lucas, and Ike revealed to be returning, both in Smash 4 and Ultimate.

Smash Brawl was the first video game I ever played and those 3 were the first characters I played as, so I was ecstatic and relieved when I found out they were returning for both games heh.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Congrats on the position Fatmanonice Fatmanonice !

And if we're talking about our favorite character reveals, mine are Ness, Lucas, and Ike revealed to be returning, both in Smash 4 and Ultimate.

Smash Brawl was the first video game I ever played and those 3 were the first characters I played as, so I was ecstatic and relieved when I found out they were returning for both games heh.
Just gotta say, I am glad you are back my dude. Also, Lucas returning for Sm4sh was pretty awesome since it was around that time when I played Mother 3.

D

Deleted member

Just gotta say, I am glad you are back my dude. Also, Lucas returning for Sm4sh was pretty awesome since it was around that time when I played Mother 3.
Heh thanks, and yeah, when I played the Mother games later I was even happier that Ness and Lucas were in Smash.

And man, if Geno gets in, which I really think is happening (after reading Polarthief Polarthief 's list)....I can't even describe how happy I'd be lol. And then I'd play SMRPG for the 5th time.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman

Definitely Banjo and Kazooie. I was certainly screaming and so happy throughout the entire trailer. It completely turned around the E3 2019 Direct for me after the Hero reveal. The thing is that my nostalgia for the duo comes from the internet. Gameplay videos, reviews, the ost, the animations and personality, etc. I never actually played any of the games (though I most certainly want to).

Ridley is a pretty close second seeing how bummed I was after Smash 4 killed him off and how Sakurai essentially backed up the "too big" crap. So, seeing him get his redemption was SO satisfying. I was also very excited for K. Rool but I was more excited for the fans and especially my friend who wanted K. Rool for so many years. If Geno gets in, I will certainly feel the same way like I did with K. Rool.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice

For me it's Joker as I've wanted a Persona rep in Smash for such a long time and when I finally saw it happen I started crying with joy. Persona is a series that I hold very close to my heart as I entered into the series when I was very mentally unstable, full of anxiety, and had a terrible social life, and those games taught me so much and gave me confidence as well as joy. I even finished Persona 5 Royal two days before my high school graduation, almost like Persona was teaching me one more thing before I started my next chapter in life. I honestly don't know where I would be without these games so seeing Joker join Smash made me very happy and I was even happier when I found out about all the Persona 3 and 4 content that came with him.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The most emotional reveal for me was Ridley by miles and miles. I had wanted him so badly since smash 4. He got detracted more than any other character, and time after time the leaks about him were false. I was so convinced by the shadow speculation too, so it was super disappointing when he didn't get in. I was like the only person who still predicted him for ultimate before Vergeben, so it was absolutely amazing when it finally happened. I pictured that trailer so many times in my head. It was just surreal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom