• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Oh, okay. Gotcha. So what exactly makes it so that things might be revealed soon, again? Just to be clear?
I haven't read any of the last pages here, but my personal guess is that, since Paper mario was announced 2 months before its release, and it's releasing now in July, we are kinda bound to know what's next for Nintendo IP news, at least ONE game. If they said they have games ( in plural, literally ) for the rest of the year still on schedule, then there's not really many windows left for reveals and releases now. I dunno how soon, but at least we should see a new game announcement sometime in July if I had to guess, and if we consider how Paper mario was announced.

It wouldn't really make much sense if they talk about "games still on schedule", in plural, and then keep skipping months without any new announcement, they only have 6 months left of the year. And I doubt they were talking about 3rd party ports in their shareholder report lol, that would be weird if they were counting on stuff outside of their company to make a report of their company's future, that just doesn't make sense imo

If they have multiple games, either they have to put a mini direct or a full direct sometime within the next 3 months, September being already too late in my honest opinion, as I don't think they have the luxury to wait until then… and then what? have all those new titles to release way too close of each other, clashing with each other, in september, october, november and december? doesn't seem to make much sense to me, personally, unless the development of all of those upcoming titles are going to coincide ending so too close all together. Prepare your wallets if that's the case hahaha. And I doubt they were acting cocky about their second half of the year to have just… 3 or 4 more titles, that sounds too little imo, but what do I know, lol, maybe they feel that's enough.

But yeah, they gotta start announcing stuff already, even if it's stuff that won't come out the month after the current one, I don't think they have the luxury to skip months without announcements anymore specially after telling shareholders that they have things in schedule, it's time to start showing and stop talking.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I've been playing the PS4 Secret of Mana, and I was just thinking that it would've been nice to have Mario and his party members interact at the inns in SMRPG. There's a decent amount of interaction between them, anyway, but just idly talking about random things they've seen or wondered about during their travels sounds like it might be nice. I've only had Secret of Mana for like a week or so, but sometimes during those inn conversations I find myself feeling like I'm actually sitting around with close friends, myself - It's a soft, cozy sort of feeling.

I think I'd like that, for Geno.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Speaking of Square Enix announcements, today the official Final Fantasy YouTube channel uploaded a trailer for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition, going a bit over some of the new features in the game. I remember playing this game on the GC and boy was this game good. Now with online play it'll be even better (plus, the characters have way more customizing options). This is an August 27, 2020 release title.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention. The fact that this game has cross-platform support AND save files between platforms is a BIG deal. Those that aren't too familiar with this game, I recommend checking it out when it releases.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Speaking of Square Enix announcements, today the official Final Fantasy YouTube channel uploaded a trailer for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition, going a bit over some of the new features in the game. I remember playing this game on the GC and boy was this game good. Now with online play it'll be even better (plus, the characters have way more customizing options). This is an August 27, 2020 release title.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention. The fact that this game has cross-platform support AND save files between platforms is a BIG deal. Those that aren't too familiar with this game, I recommend checking it out when it releases.
Wasn't this announced back in 2018?

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
i’ve always thought Piranha Plant was the worst choice ever added to Smash regardless if Geno gets in or not

It’s a generic enemy (not even a popular one like Goomba or Koopa)
The joke was only funny for 10 whole seconds
“Plant Gang” died within a single day of the character’s release
The moveset is clunky as hell
It’s gotta be my least favorite character in the game, easily. And that’s including Corrin and Byleth
Indeed I think piranha plant was a weak choice but I think it was the coolest option with a good moveset. I'd rather Birdo or shy guy, they could have a great moveset too and I think they are more iconic than just a simple plant. But well... I think most characters are not a choice due the moveset they cannot loose time with complicated moveset so that's why I think there are a lot of fire emblem characters and that's why we don't have new Zelda characters yet. Before Krystal was rejected because the moveset and they choose wolf cuz his moveset it was easier than a new one.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant's really fun to use so I like him. He's clearly a "let's just freaking do this" kind of pick and I like the end result. If it were up to me I probably would have gone for another Mario enemy but I'm content with Piranha Plant and how he was handled.

Which makes this thread extremely hard to read sometimes...
You aren't the only one. I LOVE Piranha Plant, it's one of my favorite characters to play! Sucks to see it get so much hate here. I'll admit, I'd have gone with a different Mario character were I making the choice but it is what it is. Seems to me like the devs came up with a super fun and unique moveset for Plant, and that's usually why characters get added. And I mean, the lesser enemies you fight on your way to the boss deserve some recognition in the gaming hall of fame, too. How exactly are you going to defeat Bowser without familiarizing yourself with the game's mechanics by defeating some underlings first?

And it's kinda ironic that people are hating on Plant here, when it brought us some things that could hint at Geno. Megasmilax and the Classic Mode victory screen, anyone? If Geno doesn't get in, at least they still gave our favorite game some nods outside of Spirits.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm not sure why people here think Piranha Plant was a terrible inclusion and was included out of spite towards us Geno supporters. I never died of laughter as much as I did when the Plant was revealed and in all honesty, I actually considered maining the character. On top of that, I thought his moveset looked really creative and the fact that Sakurai could make a moveset that actually works for a Piranha Plant was literal proof that Sakurai is a madman and can make a rock have an interesting moveset.

Just saying, I totally get if the Plant isn't your favorite character to play as or if he doesn't have the playstyle you're looking for. In a roster of 80+ characters, I do expect at least one of you have one character on the roster you dislike. But to hate Piranha Plant out of spite because you didn't get the character you want is uncalled for imo and isn't a healthy mindset when looking in to characters. I want Geno as much as the rest of you, but I didn't hate on Hero's reveal when he was shown off because I didn't get the Square character I want. This behavior just comes off as toxic to me.

All I'm gonna say on the matter is continue supporting the characters you want, while also not bashing on other characters that weren't ones you want.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I think the big issue with Piranha Plant wasn't the character itself or the concept... it was the timing.

After Ken and Incineroar were revealed back in that infamous November Direct, essentially killing off the Grinch leak and seemingly all the featured characters along with it, the following reveal that Ultimate's first DLC character would be a generic Mario enemy felt like rubbing salt in the wound.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I would say Plant did feel like a slap in the face. Getting Ridley and then K.Rool only to get the impression that your guy doesn't matter compared to enemy fodder did not sit well with me for a few months. I think the recent wave of optimism helped me get passed my issues with the character. I still despise the idea of him, but it's not to the point where I am going feel like I want to refuse his existence.

This board has literally went thru hell and back and back to hell again and back out it seems like lol

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Something I want to note that may have been lost in the mix... Joker and Hero are releasing together in the fall.... The next Amiibo wave is September... This Amiibo wave includes the rereleases of Smash Mario, Luigi, and Cloud...

KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 , PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate

Brothers, the day we have been working towards for 15 years may soon be upon us.
Well, that sounds really coincidental. Would be cool

---

Side note everyone,

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Despite my grievances with a few characters on the roster, the roster is still flippin' awesome. A few iffy apples definitely don't ruin the bunch here. Sometimes I just like to stare at this character selection screen and just bask in its glory. Does anyone else do that? I mean 80+ characters and growing, my God, Sakurai...

20200627_002950.jpg

Gosh I can't wait to hang up the panoramic "Everyone Is Here" art on my wall once it's completed.

Thank you again Sakurai and Sora Ltd.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Wow, people here really seem to not like Plant's reveal. I loved it. Absolute 10/10 ending after the Grinch Fiasco.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Since we're still on this topic, I initially found Piranha Plant to be disappointing rather than outright aggrivating. I mean I like Piranha Plants well enough, but compared to all of the other characters that we got, it was just very underwhelming. I'm indifferent to it nowadays.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Has the site been having any more downtime this morning? Just wanted to make sure if it was just my connection or not
It's been slowing down for me too.

I played the original Crystal Chronicles on the Gamecube back in the day and I loved it. I didn't get to finish it though because you needed the Gameboy Advance adapter and at least 2 or 3 people to advance towards the later levels.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I would say Plant did feel like a slap in the face. Getting Ridley and then K.Rool only to get the impression that your guy doesn't matter compared to enemy fodder did not sit well with me for a few months. I think the recent wave of optimism helped me get passed my issues with the character. I still despise the idea of him, but it's not to the point where I am going feel like I want to refuse his existence.

This board has literally went thru hell and back and back to hell again and back out it seems like lol
The plant reveal was really a slap in the face to those who chose to believe in the grinch leak.
and it really seemed like it was going to be a Geno reveal. I was like wtf is this? . Months later, the plant came out and I didn´t like it, but when I actually saw how people played with it, it clicked with me. I cannot say the same for Byleth. Not gonna get into that again.

Despite my grievances with a few characters on the roster, the roster is still flippin' awesome. A few iffy apples definitely don't ruin the bunch here. Sometimes I just like to stare at this character selection screen and just bask in its glory. Does anyone else do that? I mean 80+ characters and growing, my God, Sakurai...

View attachment 276420

Gosh I can't wait to hang up the panoramic "Everyone Is Here" art on my wall once it's completed.

Thank you again Sakurai and Sora Ltd.
I love how big it is, and also hate it. I wish I could remove some characters from the roster, and not just add them into the echoes corner. There´s a few of them that I really don´t use at all. Also, having a custom playlist for stages from all series would be awesome.

QQS

Smash Lord
F58E837B-841B-4904-98D4-E92D9B915F4C.jpeg

Credits to Aaronitmar on Twitter.

0CE33165-14F9-4A67-A2EA-89A1F838472A.jpeg

Credits to NoDivision1 on Twitter.

God just reveal us Geno in July please! :)

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
You know, the odds of two more nintendo characters in the pass are huge. I really doubt that it´s only gonna be one more Nintendo dlc.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
After FF6, Mario RPG is my fave game of all time. I really hope not only Geno gets in but the game is finally immortalized in Smash with a stage and music tracks.
Geno has a lot going for him but can’t say he is a lock yet. His inclusion would be the most satisfying. After all those years. Square forbid Geno and Mallow to grow in the Mario franchise. It is time for this to be over.
Also, just finished Xenoblade 2 last night and would appreciate Rex, Pyra and Mythra in the game also

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know, the odds of two more nintendo characters in the pass are huge. I really doubt that it´s only gonna be one more Nintendo dlc.
I somewhat agree. I think FP2 is at least going to get one more Nintendo rep and I think it will be a Xenoblade rep specifically either Rex & Pyra or Elma.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
My guess currently is another 1st Party + Geno in terms of Nintendo characters for FP2. Geno qualifies as a Nintendo character in my book even if he's owned by a 3rd Party company

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I think the big issue with Piranha Plant wasn't the character itself or the concept... it was the timing.

After Ken and Incineroar were revealed back in that infamous November Direct, essentially killing off the Grinch leak and seemingly all the featured characters along with it, the following reveal that Ultimate's first DLC character would be a generic Mario enemy felt like rubbing salt in the wound.
That I will agree may have felt like a final slap to the face for us Grinch leak supporters, but I wouldn't say the Plant in its own right is bad. I think that was just a case of us getting our hopes up for something that would not pan out, and I've honestly moved past that at this point

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
As far as plant goes, I think what is all to often overlooked it's based off of it's timing and the goodies it got, there's a very real likelihood plant was meant to be in base have and just shifted to low priority.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As far as plant goes, I think what is all to often overlooked it's based off of it's timing and the goodies it got, there's a very real likelihood plant was meant to be in base have and just shifted to low priority.
True, but Plant would have still gotten a mixed reception from the crowd even if he did made it into base game as planned.

Theguy123

Smash Lord

I feel like they could’ve handled it better. Tbf I don’t get why people believed in the grinch leak because sakurai said they’d spent most of the time trying to get everyone in so we shouldn’t expect too many newcomers.

it could’ve been prevented if Nintendo said something at the time or swapped k rool and Belmont’s trailers around with incineroar and ken

MattX20

Smash Hero
Glad to see the site isn't crashing over and over now. Hopefully, it'll be smooth sailing for a good while

T2by4

Smash Lord
1592853207194m.jpg

Is it safe to say that if this doesn't show up in the next presentation then it's fake? Characters typically take 8 months to be designed and this came out 7 months ago. Also if this is real, I can definitely see this working in Geno's favor like with how the ARMS presentation showed Min min and then revealed the Ninjara costume, they can do the same with Geno and mallow. My only concern is that the mallow is paired with a geno costume, if this is real that is.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like they could’ve handled it better. Tbf I don’t get why people believed in the grinch leak because sakurai said they’d spent most of the time trying to get everyone in so we shouldn’t expect too many newcomers.

it could’ve been prevented if Nintendo said something at the time or swapped k rool and Belmont’s trailers around with incineroar and ken
People believed in the Grinch leak because it's what they wanted. Long requested fan favorites such as Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Isaac, and Shadow were all in it so of course with this being close to looking like a real leak people were going to believe it especially for the fact Ridley and K. Rool already got in.

View attachment 276436
Is it safe to say that if this doesn't show up in the next presentation then it's fake? Characters typically take 8 months to be designed and this came out 7 months ago. Also if this is real, I can definitely see this working in Geno's favor like with how the ARMS presentation showed Min min and then revealed the Ninjara costume, they can do the same with Geno and mallow. My only concern is that the mallow is paired with a geno costume, if this is real that is.
Don't put doubt in your mind son, CacoMallow is real.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
View attachment 276436
I don't know how much of a shelf life leaks like this typically have, but yeah, I do think if the DLC goes on long enough without us seeing anything from this (I personally give it until Fighter 9), we're eventually gonna have to come to the conclusion that this was most likely faked.

Of course, that doesn't mean Geno isn't coming. This leak certainly helps but isn't absolutely necessary, since it's possible Geno could still be playable. It might even be another situation similar to the Smash 4 Palutena leak, where the contents of the leak do end up happening (in this case, Geno and Doom Slayer coming with Mallow and Cacodemon costumes), yet the "leak" hilariously turns out to be fake anyway.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
View attachment 276436
I think it's safe to say if it doesn't come by FP8 it's fake. FP7 is such a huge deal since no credible insider has thrown their hat into the ring for who they think it will be (which is great for hype purposes). But I see the Geno costume coming back no matter what, even if Geno is playable. I can't imagine they wouldn't port it over for easy money, it'd take little to no effort on their part.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I haven't read any of the last pages here, but my personal guess is that, since Paper mario was announced 2 months before its release, and it's releasing now in July, we are kinda bound to know what's next for Nintendo IP news, at least ONE game. If they said they have games ( in plural, literally ) for the rest of the year still on schedule, then there's not really many windows left for reveals and releases now. I dunno how soon, but at least we should see a new game announcement sometime in July if I had to guess, and if we consider how Paper mario was announced.

It wouldn't really make much sense if they talk about "games still on schedule", in plural, and then keep skipping months without any new announcement, they only have 6 months left of the year. And I doubt they were talking about 3rd party ports in their shareholder report lol, that would be weird if they were counting on stuff outside of their company to make a report of their company's future, that just doesn't make sense imo

If they have multiple games, either they have to put a mini direct or a full direct sometime within the next 3 months, September being already too late in my honest opinion, as I don't think they have the luxury to wait until then… and then what? have all those new titles to release way too close of each other, clashing with each other, in september, october, november and december? doesn't seem to make much sense to me, personally, unless the development of all of those upcoming titles are going to coincide ending so too close all together. Prepare your wallets if that's the case hahaha. And I doubt they were acting cocky about their second half of the year to have just… 3 or 4 more titles, that sounds too little imo, but what do I know, lol, maybe they feel that's enough.

But yeah, they gotta start announcing stuff already, even if it's stuff that won't come out the month after the current one, I don't think they have the luxury to skip months without announcements anymore specially after telling shareholders that they have things in schedule, it's time to start showing and stop talking.
Yea, as much as the virus has already screwed things up everywhere, Nintendo's wishy-washy inability to communicate and announce stuff was happening way before the virus legitimately delayed things. The Game Awards for example. Sony and Microsoft announce new consoles and Nintendo advertises threeish games, none of them first party. Then they go on radio silence. Despite the issues, the other gaming companies have been diligent in releasing news. They even are participating in a summer gaming event, which Nintendo has yet to accept.

The new Paper Mario game comes out in less than a month and we barely know anything about it. Even their Smash news has been badly fragmented. Find out there's more characters in September, then that its a second fighter pass in January, then that the first pick is an ARMs character in March, then that its Min Min in June and releasing here almost into July.

I really don't know what's up with their marketing team lately. They have been horrible at communicating. And while things were unstable and hectic before (and finally starting to calm down), other companies made an effort to notify fans while Nintendo continues to be coy for some dumb reason.

Basically, Nintendo, DO SOMETHING.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Remember the Ness eye glitch discussion the other day and how we talked about characters with "flat eyes?"

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2867#post-23985937

Talking with someone on Discord today, I realized what makes Ness unique among the flat eye characters is that he's the only one with a stationary hat. Olimar, the Ice Climbers, and Falcon have helmets and Toon Link's hat has similar physics to hair. Ness is the only one that has a hat and hair that are basically two separate layers "glued" together. Food for thought.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Remember the Ness eye glitch discussion the other day and how we talked about characters with "flat eyes?"

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2867#post-23985937

Talking with someone on Discord today, I realized what makes Ness unique among the flat eye characters is that he's the only one with a stationary hat. Olimar, the Ice Climbers, and Falcon have helmets and Toon Link's hat has similar physics to hair. Ness is the only one that has a hat and hair that are basically two separate layers "glued" together. Food for thought.
Not to say Ness will be used as Geno's base, but in retrospect it would kind make more sense than them using Mega Man as his base as I believe Ness would line up in height with Geno and Mario more accurately if we were to say he was Geno. Plus Ness uses PSI/magic and so does Geno.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Ah, good points about Ness. That does work as a template for possibly Geno.

I hope the July 7th date is a real date for something. That would be cool. Or something around that time.

From a business standpoint, it would be good to "hit the iron while it's hot." since Min Min has been on the spotlight for a bit and people are thinking/playing Smash a bit so why not try to ride that?

T2by4

Smash Lord

Hmm maybe. But like you said, his hat is stationary. Wouldn't the orange flaps of Geno's hat have some physics when he moved around? At least, I feel like they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom