• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sorry mate, if Geno wasn't in I was planning on burning down a couple schools, stealing all the food out of every Greggs in Scotland and then blowing up a kitten shelter or twelve to release some anger :4pacman:

Seriously though, I think most of us will be fine if Geno doesn't get in. Disappointed, sure, but that's not really new to us. Your concern is appreciated but we know what may go down. It's happened before.
I am thinking most of us would be fine as well, actually. And I see what you mean. Still, there is always that minority.

I knew you were joking, by the way.

Also, even with a smaller fanbase compared to say, Sora and Lara Croft, I say the happiness of the fans and those who play and like Geno is the ultimate biggest cost that matters, eh?

ZerBerry

Smash Cadet
Censor dodging
but for real, the thing is i just can't imagine that we are in the timeline where we lose. at this point, i'm 100% convinced that he's a fighter and with everything that happened before + the spirit fan rule being destroyed, now is the perfect time to add him. it would be such a tone deaf moment to ignore him now especially since ultimate is considered to be the fan-service game of the series and i bet that square being stingy is a problem especially for a character from a game they worked with nintendo. if we are indeed in the timeline where are the ****ing losers, i will definitely admit that i was wrong and i will never hope for him ever again to come back because let's be honest, after +20 years of people wishing for him to be in smash or just wishing for his comeback in general, if he isn't playable now, he will never be playable in smash and probably in any other game. but like i said, i can only see the future where we won

Last edited by a moderator:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Just 20 pages left before the next milestone.
20 Pages til page 2900! And only 100 more after that til page 3000!

Also at this point its the waiting game again. Im thinking the next smash character will be revealed in September.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
If Geno is not playable, I'm going to write a very strongly worded and scary letter!

Maybe a J. Or a W.

Perhaps a Y. Its silly looking, though.

BUT, the letter will have mean looking eyes!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If Geno is not playable, I'm going to write a very strongly worded and scary letter!

Maybe a J. Or a W.

Perhaps a Y. Its silly looking, though.

BUT, the letter will have mean looking eyes!
If it was Geno himself writing it...

"Dear Masahiro Sakurai...**** YOU!" is what he'd say before blasting Japan.

I can't believed I just cursed.

MattX20

Smash Hero
20 Pages til page 2900! And only 100 more after that til page 3000!

Also at this point its the waiting game again. Im thinking the next smash character will be revealed in September.
I'm more inclined to believe we will get 7 revealed before August is through

Griselda

Smash Lord
I've said this before, but if Geno still doesn't get in this time, then I honestly want an explanation about him specifically. No, they aren't obligated or required to tell me or any of you why they didn't choose any character, but then again, they aren't obligated to keep making video games, but they do it because they (hopefully) respect and care enough about their fans and customers to give them things they'd be willing to spend money on. I know I'm not quite as old or have as much history with the Geno speculation scene as, say, Fatman, but I can guarantee that for every single year since I first played SMRPG, I or my mother would've been willing and able to drop a full $100 on Geno, because we enjoy the character. And while I know that's a bit of a high number, I'm pretty sure that most of the people here would also be willing to pay for Geno as soon as he was available/they were able to. So, right away, that's a good amount of money being 'lost' every year. And I dunno.. I kinda like money. If I was in charge of Geno and I knew people were going to give me money if I gave him to them, I'd give him to them. I'd add him as DLC in as many games as I legally could and that made sense. Mario Kart, Smash, Mario Party, Mario Sports etc.

Basically, from a strictly business perspective, Geno should've come back a long time ago. People are willing to hand over money for him, so even if Nintendo had to outright buy his rights from Square, I feel like they would've more than recovered the cost by this point. Buying and transferring rights and properties between companies happens all the time.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
If Geno finally don't get in as a playable fighter, blame Sakurai for giving priority to Piranha Plant before him. It sounds a bit aggressive but that would be a fantastic chance to happen; the big bonus if you buy Smash Ultimate in its first 2 months.

I get the reason to include Ridley (popular), King K Rool (popular), Simon (maybe not that hugh popular but Sakurai likes him), Inkling (a bit popular and was the newest IP Nintendo released at end 2015), Isabelle (new face of Animal Crossing and that IP is huge, even nowdays) and Incineroar (Pokemon is huge and propably PKM Company has a deal that obligate Sakurai to include a new Pokemon Rep) but I think Piranha Plant was something like "mm I need to include a Mario Universe character..well I included him"

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
If Geno finally don't get in as a playable fighter, blame Sakurai for giving priority to Piranha Plant before him. It sounds a bit aggressive but that would be a fantastic chance to happen.
I feel the situation is a little different, there, since Geno is third party(ish) and Piranha Plant isn't.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
If Geno finally don't get in as a playable fighter, blame Sakurai for giving priority to Piranha Plant before him. It sounds a bit aggressive but that would be a fantastic chance to happen; the big bonus if you buy Smash Ultimate in its first 2 months.

I get the reason to include Ridley (popular), King K Rool (popular), Simon (maybe not that hugh popular but Sakurai likes him), Inkling (a bit popular and was the newest IP Nintendo released at end 2015), Isabelle (new face of Animal Crossing and that IP is huge, even nowdays) and Incineroar (Pokemon is huge and propably PKM Company has a deal that obligate Sakurai to include a new Pokemon Rep) but I think Piranha Plant was something like "mm I need to include a Mario Universe character..well I included him"
Why blame Sakurai? He said himself that he wanted to make Geno playable but he wasn’t able to. You could assume there were circumstances preventing him from doing so and perhaps there still are.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Sakurai's wanted Geno to be playable for over a decade. I doubt he would be opposed to him now of all times

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Geno's owned by Square-Enix, so it seems like the ball would be in their court.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Geno's owned by Square-Enix, so it seems like the ball would be in their court.
True, but Square got a lot of money from both Cloud's inclusion and the DQ heroes thanks to how well the first Fighter Pass sold. They don't have a real reason to turn down any additional profits

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
True, but Square got a lot of money from both Cloud's inclusion and the DQ heroes thanks to how well the first Fighter Pass sold. They don't have a real reason to turn down any additional profits
Yeah, that's true. I just figured that I should point out that Geno and Piranha Plant are owned by different companies, so it's not like Piranha Plant's inclusion would lead to Geno being ruled out.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Smashboards is acting up again so I'll have to wait until tomorrow for photos but, thanks to Corbin Corbin I decided to dig up up some of my old stuff. I found my Nintendo Power SMRPG guide (complete with missing pages and a corner a cat chewed off) that I bought in 1997 and my rough draft Smash idea list from 2002 (so I would have been about 14 at the time). Some highlights:

-My Mario list has 11 characters. Waluigi isn't one of them but Birdo and Kamek are.

-Banjo's still on here so the RARE/Nintendo divorce didn't happen yet.

-Metroid section has Kraid and has a side note that says "make him the size of Bowser."

-I have a Fire Emblem section that I crossed out. It reads "Marth, Roy, add two major characters to this list since I have never played this game."

-I have a Nintendo Classic section. Little Mac, Pit, and Lololol and Lalala are here, weirdly enough.

-I have an "RPG and Other" section. Geno's first and Mallow's second. "The boy and girl from Animal Crossing" are here too.

-I don't have a third party section but I have a Capcom section weirdly enough. It has Megaman, X, and Exe. Despite being extremely meh about Ryu's inclusion in 2015, him and Chun Li are here too. I have Rebecca (not Jill) and Chris from Resident Evil as well.

-Bomberman and Goemon are the first two listed in my "wish list of new characters who probably won't be added" section.

Crazy what all has changed in almost 18 years.

Ope, Smashboards has un****ed itself:

IMG_20200625_205456789.jpg

IMG_20200625_205511348.jpg

IMG_20200625_205629492.jpg

IMG_20200625_205651654.jpg

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's funny how Min Min killing spirits deconfirm makes Geno feel more likely. Because most of us already knew that spirits deconfirming was bull****, so all this really did is take an argument away from the detractors. Since we didn't believe them anyway, Geno's chances are pretty much unaffected by Min Min. Yet he does feel more likely now somehow.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Random fun thing, I have seen this users art of the Princesses in the plumber getup around Twitter, but I never noticed the SMRPG nod in the background of this one.

They have SMRPG inspired art in their banner, so clearly they are a big fan of the game.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
It's funny how Min Min killing spirits deconfirm makes Geno feel more likely. Because most of us already knew that spirits deconfirming was bull****, so all this really did is take an argument away from the detractors. Since we didn't believe them anyway, Geno's chances are pretty much unaffected by Min Min. Yet he does feel more likely now somehow.
Yeah, but if somebody say "Geno won't get in because he is a spirit" just show they this and make they shut up
23-min-mins-reveal-opens-door-characters-geno-shantae-leon-kennedy-.jpg

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Random fun thing, I have seen this users art of the Princesses in the plumber getup around Twitter, but I never noticed the SMRPG nod in the background of this one.

They have SMRPG inspired art in their banner, so clearly they are a big fan of the game.
Oh my freaking god, that is so crazy!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh my freaking god, that is so crazy!
They made a bunch of this sort of art after this piece, so everyone should check them out.

The whole concept reminds me of that one Mario comic in Nintendo Power where Peach swapped places with Luigi. That was fun.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Smashboards is acting up again so I'll have to wait until tomorrow for photos but, thanks to Corbin Corbin I decided to dig up up some of my old stuff. I found my Nintendo Power SMRPG guide (complete with missing pages and a corner a cat chewed off) that I bought in 1997 and my rough draft Smash idea list from 2002 (so I would have been about 14 at the time). Some highlights:

-My Mario list has 11 characters. Waluigi isn't one of them but Birdo and Kamek are.

-Metroid section has Kraid and has a side note that says "make him the size of Bowser."

-I have a Fire Emblem section that I crossed out. It reads "Marth, Roy, add two major characters to this list since I have never played this game."

-I have a Nintendo Classic section. Little Mac, Pit, and Lololol and Lalala are here, weirdly enough.

-I have an "RPG and Other" section. Geno's first and Mallow's second. "The boy and girl from Animal Crossing" are here too.

-I don't have a third party section but I have a Capcom section weirdly enough. It has Megaman, X, and Exe. Despite being extremely meh about Ryu's inclusion in 2015, him and Chun Li are here too. I have Rebecca (not Jill) and Chris from Resident Evil as well.

-Bomberman and Goemon are the first two listed in my "wish list of new characters who probably won't be added" section.

View attachment 276316

View attachment 276317
View attachment 276318
View attachment 276319
Fascinating to see older stuff from a bygone era

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
They made a bunch of this sort of art after this piece, so everyone should check them out.

The whole concept reminds me of that one Mario comic in Nintendo Power where Peach swapped places with Luigi. That was fun.
IMG_20200625_221245306.jpg

Supposedly the upcoming Illumination Mario movie is based on this comic. Found this along with my SMRPG guide earlier.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I've said this before, but if Geno still doesn't get in this time, then I honestly want an explanation about him specifically. No, they aren't obligated or required to tell me or any of you why they didn't choose any character, but then again, they aren't obligated to keep making video games, but they do it because they (hopefully) respect and care enough about their fans and customers to give them things they'd be willing to spend money on. I know I'm not quite as old or have as much history with the Geno speculation scene as, say, Fatman, but I can guarantee that for every single year since I first played SMRPG, I or my mother would've been willing and able to drop a full $100 on Geno, because we enjoy the character. And while I know that's a bit of a high number, I'm pretty sure that most of the people here would also be willing to pay for Geno as soon as he was available/they were able to. So, right away, that's a good amount of money being 'lost' every year. And I dunno.. I kinda like money. If I was in charge of Geno and I knew people were going to give me money if I gave him to them, I'd give him to them. I'd add him as DLC in as many games as I legally could and that made sense. Mario Kart, Smash, Mario Party, Mario Sports etc.

Basically, from a strictly business perspective, Geno should've come back a long time ago. People are willing to hand over money for him, so even if Nintendo had to outright buy his rights from Square, I feel like they would've more than recovered the cost by this point. Buying and transferring rights and properties between companies happens all the time.
best thing I can think of is some other character brought them more money then geno would

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm pretty interested in seeing how much of the Min Min Spirit Battle changes.

It is pretty likely that the spirit fight for someone like Ninjara will change based on Mii costume. I was expecting something like this to happen earlier with Tails and Knuckles being added, but it's how they handle a character being put into the game that makes me curious.

Geno just as easily can just change to a Mii Costume fight or character fight if we get content for him yet Mallow has three Robins in his fight. If he did in fact get a costume, would this make him a single character instead of three.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm pretty interested in seeing how much of the Min Min Spirit Battle changes.

It is pretty likely that the spirit fight for someone like Ninjara will change based on Mii costume. I was expecting something like this to happen earlier with Tails and Knuckles being added, but it's how they handle a character being put into the game that makes me curious.

Geno just as easily can just change to a Mii Costume fight or character fight if we get content for him yet Mallow has three Robins in his fight. If he did in fact get a costume, would this make him a single character instead of three.
I imagine they probably would change the spirit battle for MinMin to have MinMin being your opponent.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
You're watching the final "Sakurai Presents" video, and Mr. Sakurai has just finished covering the final Challenger Pack and all its contents. Geno was nowhere to be seen this entire Fighters Pass. You're at a loss of emotions, but you continue watching as the Mii costume segment begins. After a bunch of filler, you finally see it: the Geno costume, mostly unchanged from its 3DS/Wii U version.

You are filled with grief, depressed that your dream will never be realized... It doesn't even look like you'll get a music track... BUT WAIT! The Geno Mii gets launched from an attack off camera! No way! IT CAN'T BE!

"A MALLOW HAT!?" you cry in agony. "DAMN IT! WHY, SAKURAI!? WHY MUST YOU FORSAKE US!?" Too distracted by your own sorrow, you miss the part where the Mallow hat-wearing Mii is blasted off screen. You finally look back at the screen and...

Geno is confirmed as a bonus playable character separate from the Fighters Pass and comes with "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" as a bonus track!

... Too ambitious?
Theatrics aside, I still maintain belief in this scenario. I don't think Geno will be in the Fighters Pass, but he will be added after the pass as a standalone fighter. My theory is that all the DLC is chosen by Nintendo, as Sakurai stated, and none of them chose Geno, but after the pass is done, Sakurai gets to choose a character he wants, and he chooses Geno to end off Ultimate's development!

Would be cool.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I recall Sakurai initially considered Chun Li before Ken, so maybe a costume for her?
1592493978663.jpg

>we could've gotten chun li instead of ken

Ngl, kind of disappointed we didn't get her. She's more recognizable (at least in my opinion) and could've had a unique moveset. I guess I can understand we got Ken because he was easier to make, but still.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I recall Sakurai initially considered Chun Li before Ken, so maybe a costume for her?
I don’t think that’s true. I’m pretty sure Ken was always considered and only as an echo to Ryu.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No. This goes out to R RetrogamerMax because you've asked several times too but the reason I don't really talk on this topic here because I was literally told by two mods to not bring it up because a number of people took that much offense to the rumor. I originally brought it up as a matter of fact thing, just reporting on something I had heard from one of my best contacts (coincidentally the first guy of who I talk to who suggested we were eventually getting Bethesda content outside of Cacodemon) but it struck a nerve and people got aggressively personal about it stunningly fast, with one person basically accusing me of being the worst person ever for even relaying it. That said, this originally came up in December/January so if it's true, I don't expect it to happen until near or at the very end of DLC. This will be the final time I will publicly address this rumor on Smashboards because I reeeeeeeally don't want to crowbar open that crate of harassment again.
I'm sorry about bringing up the Iwata tribute rumor several times Fatman. I shouldn't have brought the topic up to others because of Iwata's passing.

I don't think Geno and Lloyd's Mii Costumes are going to return since they're likely getting upgraded to full character status
I think Geno and Lloyd costumes will return with them in their packs. Inkling, K. Rool, Chrom, and Isabelle's costumes all returned with them in base game so it would make sense.

Has Smashboards been down for anyone else or was it just me?
It was for me too. I login awhile ago and it slow down like hell so I logged out.

View attachment 276316

View attachment 276317
View attachment 276318
View attachment 276319
I see Goemon, Sasuke, and Marina Liteyears on your list. Clearly, you're a man of culture Fatman. ;)

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976

View attachment 276316

View attachment 276317
View attachment 276318
View attachment 276319
Well, there´s like ten new characters from that list that were not in Melee that are in Ultimate,

Geno Boost

Smash Master

View attachment 276316

View attachment 276317
View attachment 276318
View attachment 276319
is there a scan of it? i want high quality images of these 3D renders i have not seen them before

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom