• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Got it, Geno's 7 and Gex is 8.
Gex Geno Echo confirmed! :ultpacman:

Tbh I’m sick of the forest trailer. Literally 3 of the 5 trailers for fighter pass 1 was forest themed so it would be nice to see change.
Actually, Banjo & Kazooie's trailer was in a jungle not a forest.

Nintendo 100%, has involvement in this takedown.
Geno is coming! We are in the end game fellas.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I dunno. A couple of people messaged me about it since last night and I have no idea where the idea came from or if it's just raw speculation.
I think it's coming from the idea that 6 and 7 were both supposed to be shown off together at E3 but it's currently up in the air RN due to E3 going the way of the dinosaurs/the dodo/my dignity.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm curious to see who Jon specifically thinks the ARMS rep is since I do believe he has insider knowledge, has much as he tries to hide the fact. Anyways, I can't wait to see who this ARMS rep is.
Christ can we stop acting like Jon is this magical beacon of knowledge who knows everything that Nintendo is doing? Yea, he probably hears notable information from people all the time, he probably has sources, HE'S A JOURNALIST, of course he has contacts. That doesn't mean that he's just going to spout out confidential information constantly or that anything he hears is right, people can be wrong and have bad info. You people REALLY need to stop looking so deep into everything he says.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Christ can we stop acting like Jon is this magical beacon of knowledge who knows everything that Nintendo is doing? Yea, he probably hears notable information from people all the time, he probably has sources, HE'S A JOURNALIST, of course he has contacts. That doesn't mean that he's just going to spout out confidential information constantly or that anything he hears is right, people can be wrong and have bad info. You people REALLY need to stop looking so deep into everything he says.
Geez calm down. I never said I believe everything he says. I just acknowledge the fact that he does have insider information and that once in a while, his predictions do end up becoming reality. I'm not saying who he predicts will 100% be the character...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Your right, Jon isn't God. The man doesn't have all the answers even though he does have deep connections.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I dunno. A couple of people messaged me about it since last night and I have no idea where the idea came from or if it's just raw speculation.
Huh. I never saw any rumor like that, the closest of what I know being that the doujin leak guy said that Reimu would have been revealed earlier without the pandemic, but it also imply a single reveal, not 2.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Geno gets in, Waluigi's exclusion will be beyond parody at that point. Once again, "Nintendo's not dumb." Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo's trailers acknowledged that they were never-evers and in game Chrom's "I'll get my chance another day" was heavily referenced too. Beyond this, Waluigi has had 4 Mario characters get in before him since 2013, was referenced for missing the boat for Smash 4, has the most spirits of any assist trophy, and was literally the first AT killed on screen in Smash Ultimate. That said, they're not exactly subtle about Waluigi's exclusion and it's basically a meme at this point. I'd argue that it's already hyper aggressive and Geno managing to get in before Waluigi would just turn that dial up to 15.

Firox

Smash Master
If Geno gets in, Waluigi's exclusion will be beyond parody at that point. Once again, "Nintendo's not dumb." Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo's trailers acknowledged that they were never-evers and in game Chrom's "I'll get my chance another day" was heavily referenced too. Beyond this, Waluigi has had 4 Mario characters get in before him since 2013, was referenced for missing the boat for Smash 4, has the most spirits of any assist trophy, and was literally the first AT killed on screen in Smash Ultimate. That said, they're not exactly subtle about Waluigi's exclusion and it's basically a meme at this point. I'd argue that it's already hyper aggressive and Geno managing to get in before Waluigi would just turn that dial up to 15.
I mean, for whatever reason, I'm pretty sure Nintendo is trying to tell us "WE DON'T CARE TO ADD WALUIGI!" as hard as they can. I don't know why they don't, but they just really don't.

"Nintendo's not dumb."
And I find this meme/statement HIGHLY debatable. They strike gold every now and then, but I definitely wouldn't use words like "smart" or "self-aware" to describe them. They do straight-up tone deaf things all the time.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Huh. I never saw any rumor like that, the closest of what I know being that the doujin leak guy said that Reimu would have been revealed earlier without the pandemic, but it also imply a single reveal, not 2.
Not to get too off topic, what do people think about the doujin leaker and the chance of Reimu getting in? I personally don't see it, honestly. I don't care about Touhou one bit but I'm not trying to get on fans' bad side.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
True, but imagine how the Toad fans will feel. Toad is one of the most iconic Mario characters ever and he is still not yet in the roster and Waluigi and Geno has got him beat out in popularity in the Smash speculation scene. I think they will feel worse if Geno get's in even though it doesn't really matter who get's in first.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Not to get too off topic, what do people think about the doujin leaker and the chance of Reimu getting in? I personally don't see it, honestly. I don't care about Touhou one bit but I'm not trying to get on fans' bad side.
A big "maybe". Like, the dude was found to be the same dude who leaked chapters in Touhou mangas, which also got him kicked out of 5chan (or 2chan, both are Japanese 4chan, but one banned Touhou because it caused too much waifu wars) for some time. And he also got some specific stuff right, like a comedian passing on Touhou station (the impressive part about that was that he namedropped the comedian). But otherwise, the leak is getting pretty old, and we also already had leaks that got some stuff right, but were totaly wrong for Smash (like a DMC5 leak who got everyhitng right, execpt for Dante being in Smash, and we can't say that it can be for the second fighter pass as the leak is from 2018). So yeah, it's a maybe.

link2702

Smash Champion
Since we're on the topic of waluigi atm...Only thing I can think of, is Nintendo hates waluigi perhaps because he became so popular and wasn't actually created by them. Or maybe it's sakurai specifically?

Course that really doesn't make sense, seeing as Diddy Kong also wasn't made by Nintendo and they certainly don't seem to hate that character.

....Yeah I honestly don't know. Waluigi Is the red-headed stepchild of Nintendo for sure though.

EDIT: also for Toad least he's a more prominent part of Peach's moveset now. And actually seems to act like he's trying to help as opposed to being terrified and trying to escape after being pulled from....."somewhere" in peach's moveset.

Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I think I should make mention that I have shared the 4 Mii costumes with a number of people in the Geno fanbase in private because, time and time again, you all have proven to be trustworthy and not a single thing I have told anybody in strict confidence since DECEMBER 2018 has gotten out except for once at Forest Maze this past January (thankfully the mods jumped on it immediately) and a big reason I hardly ever go there anymore. That said, there's a decent chance of things being revealed in the coming weeks that the Geno fanbase has successfully kept secret for close to a year and I deeply appreciate that. Again, I don't think the Geno fanbase gets enough credit for the amazing people in it and the solidarity of it acknowledging that there's some things that shouldn't be leaked at all. It's very humbling and it's just another factor of why I've been proud to be in this fanbase for seemingly ever.
Agreed. I love this fanbase and Im proud to be apart of it!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think the fact that they still use Waluigi and let him be an AT at least in Smash just shows they don’t hate Waluigi. The Smash Bros. stuff about him is just jokes by Sakurai.

Really, if everything people point at as reasons for “Nintendo hates Waluigi” meant anything, they’d feel more like “Nintendo hates fans of theirs who like their Dastardly Rotten character.” They even have Waluigi references in other games, like the outfit in Odyssey. The reason they don’t use him outside of spinoffs is possibly due to a lack of ideas or Miyamoto or something.

So, unless they’re also hating the fans and taunting them, no, I don’t think they hate Waluigi. Even Reggie spoke against that when he was still NoA’s president and said he’s his main in Mario Kart or Tennis or something.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
One of the reasons I can think why Waluigi get's more neglected than other big iconic Mario characters is because he wasn't created by Miyamoto but Fumihide Aoki. Him being not one of Miyamoto's creations could explain why Nintendo has never given him a spin off series of his own or put him into any of the mainline Mario games.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
The thing stopping him getting in is moveset potential. He doesn’t have a moveset and sakurai has a thing where character moveset have to come from main games.

Would people genially wanna see waluigi with a mii brawler moveset (kinda) in the dlc. It would take a slot away from characters who have moveset potential. I’m all down for waluigi but unless he gains some new moves in mario games it’s gonna be hard.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Geez, so we're getting into the heavy rumor stuff now, huh? Suppose it was time for things to start picking up, hopefully we get something of substance soon, it seems like forever since we've been able to sink our hopeful teeth into something.

This year's shot some gnarly arrows our way, but we'll keep mashing those timed hits 'til we come out on top!

ezgif-3-398502b64106.gif

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Personally I think Waluigi missed his chance. Its hard to see 2 Mario characters appear in one pass. Maybe Waluigi gets an upgrade and Geno's costume just returns, but both seems to be pushing it. Its not impossible of course, but there are so many different series and worlds that aren't represented, it would be a shame if they double dipped into one that is already well represented in Ultimate.
At the end of the day this isn't suppose to be a mario fighting game, or fire emblem for that matter.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The thing stopping him getting in is moveset potential. He doesn’t have a moveset and sakurai has a thing where character moveset have to come from main games.

Would people genially wanna see waluigi with a mii brawler moveset (kinda) in the dlc. It would take a slot away from characters who have moveset potential. I’m all down for waluigi but unless he gains some new moves in mario games it’s gonna be hard.
Waluigi could represent the Mario spin off games and he could use stuff like his tennis racket, kart, gold club, dice block, ect.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Just saw PapaGenos's video, I hope a lot of this rumored stuff is true. And another character revealed along the arms character would be great aswell.

Also, I sometimes casually search "Geno Smash" on YouTube and sort it by upload date and came across this video. Ive been doubtful about Geno's inclusion recently (for no reason whatsoever) but this video gave me a bit of hope. It only has about 500 views but I think its more deserving of attention than what it has, give it a watch if you'd like!: https://youtu.be/e8fC0jkS4-8

It looks over a lot of history with Geno and Smash Bros, and pretty accurately portrays how a lot of us reacted to certain reveals.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Geez, so we're getting into the heavy rumor stuff now, huh? Suppose it was time for things to start picking up, hopefully we get something of substance soon, it seems like forever since we've been able to sink our hopeful teeth into something.

This year's shot some gnarly arrows our way, but we'll keep mashing those timed hits 'til we come out on top!

View attachment 274271
YOOOOO WTF!!!! That anime cutscene of Geno dodging Bowyer's arrows!!! WHO DID THAT?!?! Looks sick af! :eek:

Also, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I think that the rumor that CP 6 was supposed to be revealed alongside CP 7 around spring was something that was mentioned on PapaGenos's latest video (around the 4:50 mark).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Peach’s side-smash comes from spinoffs. Piranha Plant’s side-B comes from RPGs. Sakurai also makes up some moves and has been very creative with some characters including Captain Falcon who’s potential depended on Sakurai’s imagination.

Duck Hunt’s and Pac-Man’s also come from multiple games including those outside their own series.

True but could you really see Nintendo going out there way to represent spin off games.
Their spinoffs make big bucks and are a staple of the Mario series, I doubt they care if Sakurai wants Waluigi (or I doubt they would be 100% against Waluigi in this case since they’re choosing DLC, though they may want someone else) or to use any spinoff stuff. Smash already has a shipload of spinoff stuff.

Heck, Geno is also a spinoff. This just means we’re all doomed if it’s true.

Last edited:

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190

Antho

Smash Apprentice

As someone who wants Waluigi (but Geno is top priority right now), there’s way more than enough places they could pull moves from. Mario Party, all of the various Mario Sports games, Mario Kart, etc. I feel like if they didn’t want to rep anything from the spin-off games they wouldn’t have made Waluigi an Assist Trophy with a tennis racket... or have the various Mario Kart/Party/Sports/RPG songs and stages.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

There's never anything such as "lack of moveset potential" with a man who turned a fitness host in a fitness game into a fighter, turned a guy who drives a car for a majority of his games into a fighter, made a literal toy peripheral into a fighter, etc.

The Mario Sports games ARE Main Games. Waluigi is the biggest created character success for those games and those games sell hella bucks for Nintendo. A moveset based around those isn't that illogical even when Peach and Daisy briefly hint at them in their movesets.

Firox

Smash Master
Personally I think Waluigi missed his chance. Its hard to see 2 Mario characters appear in one pass. Maybe Waluigi gets an upgrade and Geno's costume just returns, but both seems to be pushing it. Its not impossible of course, but there are so many different series and worlds that aren't represented, it would be a shame if they double dipped into one that is already well represented in Ultimate.
At the end of the day this isn't suppose to be a mario fighting game, or fire emblem for that matter.
To your point of over-representation, I think Geno's greatest boon is the fact that he's technically third party and comes from a very unique rendition of Mario's world. He brings something very fresh and different to the franchise that other Mario characters just don't.

There's never anything such as "lack of moveset potential" with a man who turned a fitness host in a fitness game into a fighter, turned a guy who drives a car for a majority of his games into a fighter, made a literal toy peripheral into a fighter, etc.
LOL This is pretty true. We're talking about a guy that made a giggling dog in the background of duck hunt into a fighter. He turned a freaking potted plant into a fighter! Heck, it's crap like this that makes people think that Labo-man and Tetrimino have a legit chance of getting in! Unfortunately (or fortunately for some), source material or the lack thereof doesn't seem to hold much sway over Sakurai.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Peach’s side-smash comes from spinoffs. Piranha Plant’s side-B comes from RPGs. Sakurai also makes up some moves and has been very creative with some characters including Captain Falcon who’s potential depended on Sakurai’s imagination.

Duck Hunt’s and Pac-Man’s also come from multiple games including those outside their own series.
Don't forget the fact that he made **** up for Captain Falcon or Fox (for the most part). He has a Tennis Racquet, bombs, is a really good dancer and can swim in the air. That's enough for a Smash moveset.

A big "maybe". Like, the dude was found to be the same dude who leaked chapters in Touhou mangas, which also got him kicked out of 5chan (or 2chan, both are Japanese 4chan, but one banned Touhou because it caused too much waifu wars) for some time. And he also got some specific stuff right, like a comedian passing on Touhou station (the impressive part about that was that he namedropped the comedian). But otherwise, the leak is getting pretty old, and we also already had leaks that got some stuff right, but were totaly wrong for Smash (like a DMC5 leak who got everyhitng right, execpt for Dante being in Smash, and we can't say that it can be for the second fighter pass as the leak is from 2018). So yeah, it's a maybe.

........was it really that bad?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's WatanoLemonT , he's a fan animator who typically does Earthbound/Mother related videos which rule school in my opinion:

He's tweeted recently that Super Mario RPG is going to be his next project, with that GIF as a teaser: https://twitter.com/wata_lemon03/status/1270327383258619905

Definitely worth following, he's a talented dude.
Pretty cool! If it's of the quality to the Mother stuff I have gotten a glance at, it is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
YOOOOO WTF!!!! That anime cutscene of Geno dodging Bowyer's arrows!!! WHO DID THAT?!?! Looks sick af! :eek:

Also, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I think that the rumor that CP 6 was supposed to be revealed alongside CP 7 around spring was something that was mentioned on PapaGenos's latest video (around the 4:50 mark).

Okay, thanks. I ask because someone presented the idea of "well, 6 and 7 were supposed to be revealed together, could that mean that the original E3 reveals would be in a separate presentation too" and then I preceded to age about 50 years in 5 seconds.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
We are still in the 8th dimension, but time has frozen and we won't know when it will move forward again.
At least you have it better than those of us stuck in the 9th dimension. We're still waiting for a pink starfish to come and liberate us from the Giant Monkey Man.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

........was it really that bad?
Well, when you consider the fact that 4chan pretty much made /jp because of Touhou hijacking literaly the entire site, that 4chan is pretty much a diet version of 2chan and 5chan, and that since both those sites are japanese this means that they have direct access to Touhou and it's expanded doujin culture, unlike 4chan, yeah. It was that bad. Which is pretty hilarious in hindsight, considering how Touhou outchan the chans. The most hilarious part is probably how Touhou got closer to make 4chan shut down than anything else.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Why hasn't Nintendo of America tweeted anything yet this week? Are they even planning on tweeting anything?

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. Rather, I am just wondering what is going on. No harm in that, right?

Nemo_Namikaze

Smash Cadet
The conversation kinda passed but I was catching up lol

I think something worth pointing out about the Legacy XP takedown is that the popular Geno leak during Ultimate's release cycle was the "Sassy Geno" which actually came from XP.

Likely nothing, but it's an interesting coincedence none the less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom