• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
While not as heavily requested as Geno, Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia has always been a noteworthy one, and his acknowledgement as a Mii Costume in Smash 4 has given some hope for him being the almost assuredly inevitable second Bandai Namco rep.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
While not as heavily requested as Geno, Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia has always been a noteworthy one, and his acknowledgement as a Mii Costume in Smash 4 has given some hope for him being the almost assuredly inevitable second Bandai Namco rep.
I've been preaching this since the beginning. Lloyd supporters are really chill and have been wanting to see him get in Since Brawl. They have a very similar history to us Geno fans and I definitely am rooting for them to get in as well. I strongly recommend reaching out to a Lloyd supporter and tell them they are really cool dudes and I hope they get their character as well.

Geno and Lloyd are the last two major fan legacy picks in my opinion.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Honestly, Pass 2 going forward should be fan favorites and long time request characters. They can be ads but that should be a secondary characteristic.

Basically, a pass filled with Banjo-Kazooies.
We already got a half-ad. It really depends on which ARMS character(s?) makes it in that will set the precedent. It *should* be mostly fan-faves though considering these are "TRULY EXTRA". To sneak a shill in would feel like that was a lie.

Ribbon Girl/SpringMan/Minmin/Twintelle
Geno
Lloyd
Isaac
Dixie
Rex or Pyra, or both
That'd be pretty solid. If for whatever reason ATs deconfirm though, I feel like BWD or Impa should be in there. Zelda and Kirby aren't repped enough.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Pass 3 is then to give every series from the first Smash a character if they didn't get one in Ultimate.

So,
Zelda
Kirby
Star Fox
Yoshi
Mother
F-Zero

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I do believe we will get at least one long-time fan request in this fighters pass. I think Geno has a real shot. I just have this feeling. On another note, it would be nice if Square and Nintendo collaborated together for another Mario RPG game. Nintendo allowed Cadence of Hyrule to happen and they have a strong relationship with Square Enix. This would probably be the final push to get Geno back into another.
I know I've cashed my chips by saying that most of the Fighter's Pass would be longtime fan requests but if I had to pull back some and be more conservative I would say at least two are likely to be Brawl or before fan picks. Ultimate's development honestly reminds me of Brawl in that Sakurai was trying to outdo himself in every which way which is why Brawl's newcomer roster was so crazy stacked and almost everyone was a big deal. Sakurai was trying to make Brawl the ultimate Smash game, only for it to wind up the most controversial. Ultimate doesn't have that problem. The base game and the Fighter's Pass were universally praised so I think Season 2 is where Sakurai is going to take the leg weights off. I think Sakurai held himself back up to this point but I think he was afraid he was going to have another Brawl on his hands and it kind of tarnished the fact that he pulled the trigger on huge fan favorites like Diddy, Wario, Dedede, and Sonic. I don't think that's an obstacle anymore. Ultimate has been an overwhelming success and I think he can add characters like Geno and Crash without their addition being dampened.

TLDR; I think the base game and Fighter's Pass was Sakurai taking minimal risks and Season 2 will be more akin to Sakurai taking the flying leaps of faith we saw in Brawl.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Not trying to be purposefully contradictive or p, but judging by the season starter we have (Arms), I already do not believe this will be a nonstop “guns blazin”
type pass.

There will be a Terry or two thrown in there, maybe even a Byleth

(not saying either of those characters are bad, but i’m just making a point that neither would really fit on a pure fanservice pass, and I reckon we will get some of those type characters in season 2 as well, for better or worse)

I do think some “base game snubs” are now fair game again, though. Like, I really do think we will get another Xenoblade character now. Again though, I wouldn’t really classify that as a “holy mother load of fan pleaser” type character a la Banjo. It’s moreso a character that was snubbed in base game, like I said.

I think people forget a lot that pass 1 had no Soras, no Master chiefs, no Crashes, no Dantes, no Ryu Hayabusas, etc. A lot of what we actually ended up getting were nowhere near as speculated as these characters (Hero was leaked, so they got a free pass).

And I think Fighter Pass 2 will remain the exact same. We were already thrown out of the loop with an Arms rep, who almost no one was expecting to lead off the pass. There will be more similar “huh?” picks I believe.

But, I also highly doubt that Pass 2 would be as big of a thing as they are making it out to be if there wasn’t a Banjo or 2 in that pass.

Pass 2 will get it’s own Banjo, for sure. Hopefully it is Geno.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I know I've cashed my chips by saying that most of the Fighter's Pass would be longtime fan requests but if I had to pull back some and be more conservative I would say at least two are likely to be Brawl or before fan picks. Ultimate's development honestly reminds me of Brawl in that Sakurai was trying to outdo himself in every which way which is why Brawl's newcomer roster was so crazy stacked and almost everyone was a big deal. Sakurai was trying to make Brawl the ultimate Smash game, only for it to wind up the most controversial. Ultimate doesn't have that problem. The base game and the Fighter's Pass were universally praised so I think Season 2 is where Sakurai is going to take the leg weights off. I think Sakurai held himself back up to this point but I think he was afraid he was going to have another Brawl on his hands and it kind of tarnished the fact that he pulled the trigger on huge fan favorites like Diddy, Wario, Dedede, and Sonic. I don't think that's an obstacle anymore. Ultimate has been an overwhelming success and I think he can add characters like Geno and Crash without their addition being dampened.

TLDR; I think the base game and Fighter's Pass was Sakurai taking minimal risks and Season 2 will be more akin to Sakurai taking the flying leaps of faith we saw in Brawl.
That, and I imagine that as you mentioned the other day, we'll probably get something akin to a Sakurai Presents bit at home with the reveal trailer for it and FP7

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Honestly, Pass 2 going forward should be fan favorites and long time request characters. They can be ads but that should be a secondary characteristic.

Basically, a pass filled with Banjo-Kazooies.
This. Half the first pass was filled with surprises (Joker, Terry, Byleth) and really, the only character that people actually speculated on was Banjo. Sure Hero was expected given DQ's popularity in Japan, but the series didn't get a lot of discussion here in the West until the Brave code leak. I've discussed this in the general newcomer speculation thread but I will repeat it here. 4 characters in the first pass were characters that are outside of the usual spectrum of heavily discussed characters (Crash, Dante, Resident Evil, Lloyd, Sora, Geno, Phoenix Wright, etc.). This has clearly made it really difficult to speculate because clearly whatever we think that Nintendo thinks, actually isn't what they think. When you look at the first fighters pass you have two Sakurai favorites (Joker and Terry), a fan favorite (Banjo), a third party shill pick (Hero), and a first party shill pick (Byleth).

When it comes to the second pass, its too early still to establish any pattern or themes. So far all we know is that the ARMS character was apparently a production request. I'm not even gonna go in the direction of speculating whether or not ARMS was replacing a third party character due to negotiations being interrupted due to Covid-19. There are just too many unknown factors plus I think its safe to say that Nintendo probably already negotiated for at least the first couple characters by the time the virus would have interrupted negotiations. Back to ARMS, we can assume that the production request was from the ARMS team. I don't think its necessarily a shill pick for one reason. If Nintendo was making ARMS 2 at this point and they were shilling it, they probably would not have shown the characters from the first game. If the request was from the ARMS team, that could mean that Sakurai is maybe listening to what other people want, and in turn, is listening to the fans. Again its too early to establish a pattern, but this might be a good thing. If they don't manipulate it into advertising a new game or something, that would probably be a good sign. Of course they will say to buy ARMS. Its their own game and they are effectively advertising it by putting it in Smash, but if they aren't twisting it to get people to buy ARMS 2 or something, that would be a good sign.

Point is, we can hope that the second pass is more fan pleasing, but until we get more characters, there isn't much data to point toward that or not. I hear what you are saying, Fatman. This is most likely the final round of DLC and if there is indeed not going to be a Smash game for a long time, it would make sense for Sakurai to go all out and include several fan favorites. Of course there will probably be one shill pick like a Pokemon rep, but if we can get at least 3 or 4 crowd pleasers like Geno, Crash Bandicoot, Lloyd, or someone like Sora then that would be great and it will cement Ultimate as the greatest crossover of all time.

And this is why I think Geno is likely. He is the single big long-term requested character left and if anybody can bring him back, it's Sakurai.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I don't think I'm following. I don't understand the idea of a character being cut due to Covid-19 because if the Fighter Pass 2 roster had already been confirmed to be finalized by November and even the concept of the FP2 was decided as far back as July during Banjo's video recording, I have a hard time believing any character would be cut because of negotiation issues during this pandemic if all of them had been decided almost half a year ago.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think I'm following. I don't understand the idea of a character being cut due to Covid-19 because if the Fighter Pass 2 roster had already been confirmed to be finalized by November and even the concept of the FP2 was decided as far back as July during Banjo's video recording, I have a hard time believing any character would be cut because of negotiation issues during this pandemic if all of them had been decided almost half a year ago.
Sakurai confirmed himself that the last of the content for Season 2 was decided back in January meaning that 6-10 were flat out decided in 2019 so, yeah, that ship has long since sailed. Realistically, 11 would be the most at risk but, like you said, several months had already gone by before the game industry made WFH standard so it's not likely they would go back on this.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing is, the most that might happen is switching up some orders if needed. But that assumes he can't really work on every 3rd party yet due to being unable to properly communicate. 1st parties aren't in the best of positions, but he probably can talk to them easier as well.

So say Geno was Challenger Pack 7. It might get changed to 8 without issues. The big thing is when changing up the order, he has to talk to the IP owners too since this can affect any plans that could relate to the character. For instance, Hero's timing was clearly set up to release near DQ11 Definitive Edition. Plans might resolve around sales too.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Sakurai confirmed himself that the last of the content for Season 2 was decided back in January meaning that 6-10 were flat out decided in 2019 so, yeah, that ship has long since sailed. Realistically, 11 would be the most at risk but, like you said, several months had already gone by before the game industry made WFH standard so it's not likely they would go back on this.
The only question is how far in development 8, 9, and 10 were. I'm going to guess that 6 and 7 were developed around the same time frame.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Tyler McVicker, a gaming journalist, most notable for his stuff on VNN (Valve News Network), did a live-stream while talking about Valve, Bethesda, and, Nintendo.
Tyler, from what I understand from the story, have been getting more information about Nintendo recently, and since he is already a highly credible source, I feel like we should listen to him.

He said on the livestream stuff about how the Mario Remasters (All-Stars 2) got delayed, which, is likely due to the direct being delayed from June to the end of Summer.
He also has another channel, where he is doing a BOTW 2 video, where he talks about the stuff that people know about BOTW 2..

Now, why am I'm posting this on a Geno Thread? Well, in that live-stream, a user over on StarRoad, Shinigami, asked him about Geno coming to Smash Brothers, and he said this..

Now, this could mean 2 things, either being positive, or absolutely nothing.

What he said sounded like he was implying that, he'll make it, but, it's all up to what you make of it..

I wanted to share this with you guys because, it could be very important for us, and if not, then, it doesn't mean anything, and we move on...

D

Deleted member

Tyler McVicker, a gaming journalist, most notable for his stuff on VNN (Valve News Network), did a live-stream while talking about Valve, Bethesda, and, Nintendo.
Tyler, from what I understand from the story, have been getting more information about Nintendo recently, and since he is already a highly credible source, I feel like we should listen to him.

He said on the livestream stuff about how the Mario Remasters (All-Stars 2) got delayed, which, is likely due to the direct being delayed from June to the end of Summer.
He also has another channel, where he is doing a BOTW 2 video, where he talks about the stuff that people know about BOTW 2..

Now, why am I'm posting this on a Geno Thread? Well, in that live-stream, a user over on StarRoad, Shinigami, asked him about Geno coming to Smash Brothers, and he said this..

What he said sounded like he was implying that, he'll make it, but, it's all up to what you make of it..

I wanted to share this with you guys because, it could be very important for us, and if not, then, it doesn't mean anything, and we move on...
He didn’t say he’s not coming to Smash nor he thinks so which is good. It might be speculation if not a little imply at best.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Thanks for sharing Para yeah he seems like he maybe implying Geno could get in. He’s not saying he will but saying hey Banjo & Kazooie got in so who knows?

It could be good news for us but maybe it it’s nothing guess we’ll see.

Still a solid find and it’s good news ether way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
It honestly sounded to me like he hasn't heard anything, one way or another.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Not trying to be purposefully contradictive or p, but judging by the season starter we have (Arms), I already do not believe this will be a nonstop “guns blazin”
type pass.

(not saying either of those characters are bad, but i’m just making a point that neither would really fit on a pure fanservice pass, and I reckon we will get some of those type characters in season 2 as well, for better or worse)

I do think some “base game snubs” are now fair game again, though. Like, I really do think we will get another Xenoblade character now. Again though, I wouldn’t really classify that as a “holy mother load of fan pleaser” type character a la Banjo. It’s moreso a character that was snubbed in base game, like I said.

I think people forget a lot that pass 1 had no Soras, no Master chiefs, no Crashes, no Dantes, no Ryu Hayabusas, etc. A lot of what we actually ended up getting were nowhere near as speculated as these characters (Hero was leaked, so they got a free pass).

And I think Fighter Pass 2 will remain the exact same. We were already thrown out of the loop with an Arms rep, who almost no one was expecting to lead off the pass. There will be more similar “huh?” picks I believe.

But, I also highly doubt that Pass 2 would be as big of a thing as they are making it out to be if there wasn’t a Banjo or 2 in that pass.

I have to agree on this. I don't know where this perception of "the rest of the Pass will ALL be Fan favorites" comes from. It didn't work in Smash 4, it didn't work in Smash 4's DLC, it didn't work in Smash Ultimate's base game nor Fighter Pass 1.

Don't get me wrong, we will get at least ONE character that is a major popular choice by the Smash community at large like Banjo was in Fighter Pass 1.

But at the same time, there will definetly be a character that a good chunk of the fanbase might not be too happy about (will not say names doe)

pinshadow

Smash Lord

If Tyler knew anything he'd outright say it. He's not the kind of guy to go wishy washy, either he says it, or he's smart enough to know he shouldn't and says nothing.

As for him as a source? I mean he hasn't publicly done anything Nintendo wise outside of talking offhand on streams, from what I recall his Nintendo source comes from a Valve source he had, TL:DR Nintendo goes to Valve in 2016, shows off some projects and asks them to make an HL game for Switch, Valve starts working on HL-Tactics but it's valve so it doesn't get far. Tyler gets told about this from his Valve source, and eventually bridges over the contact to someone at Nintendo. He hasn't really said anything too specific outside of vague teases for BOTW 2 and backing up other rumors like the Mario stuff. I still don't think he quite understands how much more insane the Nintendo community can be when it comes to leaks, he's argued he put up with a large portion of the valve community hating him for 5+ years straight (he did, and he was right in the end), but still.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
type pass.

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with all your points here. We do, however, have the very likely possibility that the ARMS rep will open the doors for more recent characters as well as spirits and possibly even ATs which is actually a pretty huge deal. I think we've established well enough that Nintendo and Sakurai have proven that they are well aware of memes and widespread fan speculation, so they would actually understand the significance of breaking fan rules. The fact that we are kicking off pass 2 with a broken fan rule at least sets it apart from pass 1 to a degree so I won't be surprised by some bigger announcements, but I still expect some reveals that aren't that big (like ARMS). ARMS is weird because it's really impossible to gauge how the pass might look based off of it especially without knowing the exact character.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
type pass.

I do think the ARMS rep will deliver; if it's Spring Man, that's like worse than Terry but not quite as bad as Byleth. If it's a Hero character, that's really going the extra mile to deliver. Overall I feel like this is a "everyone we couldn't get in by Base/FP1" as well as extra fan-favorites. It's why I'm feeling like Rex will probably show up at some point, along with fan-demanded characters. If ARMS gets by without being a Byleth, I don't think we'll get a Byleth later on; this is probably the weakest of the FP. But if ARMS does deliver us a Byleth, then lord help the rest of FP2.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think ARMS is a bad thing. I honestly translate it as Nintendo forcing their hand. Sakurai not so subtly said Nintendo hard pushed Byleth and ARMS probably wasn't any different. The only difference here is that it's at the front instead of the back. If anything it's the opposite situation where the Fighter's Pass was hard stuffed in the front and got notably weaker after Banjo. In my opinion, this could be intentional and starting "weak" for what's all but confirmed to be the end of DLC is a good strategy.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I don't think ARMS is a bad thing.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not either, but it can be, which is what's scary, at least to my paranoia/anxiety.

In my opinion, this could be intentional and starting "weak" for what's all but confirmed to be the end of DLC is a good strategy.
Yeah I agree, but I do hope we don't start out with a Byleth. That said, if Geno was next, would he be the "Terry" of FP2? I mean in a way that does make some level of sense since a lot of people had no idea who Terry was, and I'm sure plenty more (especially zoomers and many PAL-region inhabitants) will be like "who the hell is this doll thing?". Like Terry was for South America (I assume?), Geno will be big for people who grew up for SMRPG, just that he has a bigger legacy tied with Smash than Terry ever did. He's like Terry+, lol.

That would just lead me to ask that if Geno isn't the "BK of FP2", who would be? Crash? Sora? MC?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think ARMS is a bad thing. I honestly translate it as Nintendo forcing their hand. Sakurai not so subtly said Nintendo hard pushed Byleth and ARMS probably wasn't any different. The only difference here is that it's at the front instead of the back. If anything it's the opposite situation where the Fighter's Pass was hard stuffed in the front and got notably weaker after Banjo. In my opinion, this could be intentional and starting "weak" for what's all but confirmed to be the end of DLC is a good strategy.
The thing that angered me about Byleth was that it repeated the same trend as Corrin and blatantly for a franchise that both plays it too safe and ironically poorly represents the series as a whole. ARMS however I was never mad at because it's a new IP and it gives some new blood their time to shine. Apart from Rhythm Heaven, I'm struggling to think of any major IPs that don't have a playable character or at least a prominent AT.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It honestly sounded to me like he hasn't heard anything, one way or another.
Pretty much this.

The thing that angered me about Byleth was that it repeated the same trend as Corrin and blatantly for a franchise that both plays it too safe and ironically poorly represents the series as a whole.
I can understand that you did not want Byleth, but don¨t compare him to Corrin. There was a fanbase for him/her build-up already for quite a while. And poorly represented the series as a whole? They have the entire weapon triangle with him/her + bows. Byleth if anyone represents the franchise well...

I don¨t think we should apply any form of "pattern" here before we know who the next 2 characters are. For what we know the next one could be the Kung Fu Fighting Bear, Pokemon addition for then later be "insert League of Legends character here". We could get King Boo, and then later have Geno, making it a double Mario reps that people here have discussed the possibility of. And Lika Polar mentioned above, we don¨t even know if we are getting an Arms 2, which in it of itself should be a signal of why Arms got a spot, to begin with.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I hard disagree with anyone who says that this ARMS rep sets the tone for the rest of the DLC. Yes, ARMS is probably the most safest and most meh addition they could have possibly have included, however, I don't think every character will all be meh additions. Look at Fighters Pass 1 for example. People were expecting the Pass to be all third-party characters because Joker "set the tone" for the First Pass and people reading too in to Reggie's statement at TGA, Three more third party characters later and we get Byleth, breaking any sorta "tone" people had for the first Pass.

The point I am trying to make is, I don't think Nintendo really cares about how they start or end things. They just add these characters when they feel they are most appropriate. Especially since Fighters Pass Volume 2 will be the grand finale of Smash Ultimate, then I guarantee Sakurai is gonna go all out and finish this game with a bang.

link2702

Smash Champion
new video by terminal is up.

and I found our favorite blue warrior in there, See if you can find him :)

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Yo, our boy TerminalMontage TerminalMontage just released a new Something About video!
Also, here are the Geno/Super Mario RPG cameos/references I could find!
- Geno cameo at 1:32, during the part when Dr. Eggman is activating the springs, Geno falls out of the sky in the background alongside a mysterious cloaked figure, whom he appears to be in the midst of fighting. This continues up until the end of the Spring Yard Zone scene.
TMGeno031.png

TMGeno032.png

TMGeno033.png

TMGeno034.png

- Super Mario RPG cameo at 4:15, when Kirby calls Luigi on the phone, the scene shifts to show Luigi in his room. One of the pictures on his corkboard is of Star Hill, a prominent locale from Super Mario RPG.
TMGeno035.png
If I've missed any cameos from these videos, feel free to let me know.
The search continues...

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Yo, our boy TerminalMontage TerminalMontage just released a new Something About video!
Obligatory reminder/recommendation to watch with CC on because I always forget and have to watch twice.

Bonus one for Mario RPGs in general; the corkboard had a picture of Dry Dry Desert and the Attack FX C badge (which you find in the desert) from Paper Mario 64. Also dunno if coincidence or not, but that picture was also strung together to the Star Hill one, and neither of them were strung to anything else. I assume it was just a nod to the whole "Paper Mario is the spiritual successor of SMRPG".

Untitled.png

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
reading too in to Reggie's statement at TGA
What¨s ironic is that he said "new worlds" and not new IPs, making his statement, not a lie concidering Three Houses is not connected to any of the other games.
The point I am trying to make is, I don't think Nintendo really cares about how they start or end things. They just add these characters when they feel they are most appropriate. Especially since Fighters Pass Volume 2 will be the grand finale of Smash Ultimate, then I guarantee Sakurai is gonna go all out and finish this game with a bang.
While I would not discount a third fighter pass (this is Sakurai's baby, he will push it to the very limit), I do agree with you that we should not read into it that much as of right now.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
What¨s ironic is that he said "new worlds" and not new IPs, making his statement, not a lie concidering Three Houses is not connected to any of the other games.
Idr new worlds but he did say "---characters new to the series", which is obviously true, but also so obvious that it's like "well why the hell did you say it?". If literally every (playable) character from Smash 1-4 are in Smash 5 already, of course all DLC characters will be "new", unless he meant as in "they have never once appeared in a previous Smash game, even as just a reference, trophy, cameo, etc". If that was the case, then it was obvious Geno had no chance for FP1, though it makes me want to go back and see if any instance of the Heroes, Banjo & Kazooie, or Terry ever appeared in any previous game.

PS: It's also a good thing he was only referring to FP1, or that statement is 100% a lie regarding Plant.

While I would not discount a third fighter pass (this is Sakurai's baby, he will push it to the very limit), I do agree with you that we should not read into it that much as of right now.
I'm honestly thinking FP2 will be a huge bang, or there will be an FP3. Either way, Geno is in, baybeeeeeeee.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Yeah I understand that since technically, Three Houses is a new world within the Fire Emblem franchise. But everyone believed that statement meant "New IPs" and at the time, really the only new IP's that would be bringing in new worlds would have been anything that was third party.

But yeah, Smash fans tend to read in to things a little too much.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Idr new worlds but he did say "---characters new to the series", which is obviously true, but also so obvious that it's like "well why the hell did you say it?". If literally every (playable) character from Smash 1-4 are in Smash 5 already, of course all DLC characters will be "new", unless he meant as in "they have never once appeared in a previous Smash game, even as just a reference, trophy, cameo, etc". If that was the case, then it was obvious Geno had no chance for FP1, though it makes me want to go back and see if any instance of the Heroes, Banjo & Kazooie, or Terry ever appeared in any previous game.
Easy answer... PR talk at its finest.

But yeah, Smash fans tend to read in to things a little too much.
It¨s one thing to see if you can find patterns (see "3th party only, Mii Costume theory, etc) but when it comes to the point of analyzing some photos that Sakurai shares on twitter, then it goes too far.

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
- Geno cameo at 1:32, during the part when Dr. Eggman is activating the springs, Geno falls out of the sky in the background alongside a mysterious cloaked figure, whom he appears to be in the midst of fighting. This continues up until the end of the Spring Yard Zone scene.
View attachment 270866
View attachment 270867
View attachment 270868
View attachment 270869

- Super Mario RPG cameo at 4:15, when Kirby calls Luigi on the phone, the scene shifts to show Luigi in his room. One of the pictures on his corkboard is of Star Hill, a prominent locale from Super Mario RPG.
View attachment 270870
If I've missed any cameos from these videos, feel free to let me know.
The search continues...
Who do you think the shadowy figure is supposed to be? I can't think of anyone from SMRPG that would fit

StarLight42

Smash Lord

Not sure if it really means one thing or another.

IDK if he was just joking or what, but that "Jen-O" pronouncation makes me want to gouge my eyeballs out. And all he basically says is "well they did banjo" doesn't really say much else.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Terry and Joker seemed like pretty big Leaps of Faith to me. Him going straight for the most requested like Geno would not be leaps of faith. That would be adhering to the demand which is about as safe as you can play it.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Alright !

I just made a complete Fighter Pack for Geno ; I saw quite a lot of them going around , but to me they always missed some content... So I challenged myself to do the best ever possible representation of SMRPG in Smash. With that in mind...
This Fighter Pack is an absolute best case for Geno (or at least I tried my best to) , I am aware that if Geno come , he would bring less content overall , but I'm not a Nintendo or Square employee , so I decided to have fun and ignore some technicalities.
Geno Fighter Pack Loliko.jpg
Overall , I think the majority of this content in this pack will come with Geno if he get in. But I agree that I put some stuff that would be on the unlikely side.

Culex : I am aware that his battle theme is the FF4 boss theme. But this theme is such a memorable part of SMRPG that it would be a shame if it wasn't added. I could see them having less issues if they remixed it , but I'm not a professional when it comes to that. Either way , good track , if it was in Smash , nobody would complain.

Mii costumes : I think most choices are obvious , but some are probably more surprising.

Mallow : Cacomallow is real.

Axem Ranger Suit : I always loved the concept of an Axem Ranger suit as a mii costume. It would be the Smash way to allow miis to become power rangers lol.

Smithy : He's the final boss , so I think he was one of the besr candidates for a Mii costume.

Kefka : OH BOY , I'M GOING TO GET **** FOR THAT CHOICE. More seriously , I wanted to add SE costumes that had a closer relation to Geno than Sephiroth and Chocobo... And FF6 is a very loved RPG on the SNES , just like SMRPG is. So I decided to add Kefka , since he is the antagonist of FF6 , on top of being a very iconic villain. I'm unsure , but I think SE are more willing to let companies use their character than their music , hence why I didn't added Dancing Mad , as legendary as that track is , I don't see a mii costume coming with a 17 minutes long music track... Let alone one from FF.

Ninja/White Mage/Black Mage : Alright , this one probably ain't happening , but it would be super cool if it did. These 3 characters are retro FF characters that were redesigned exclusively for Mario Hoops 3 on 3 , and Mario Sports Mix. So yes , they are FF characters that only appeared in Mario games ! I thought it was a funny coincidence , concerning Geno status as a third party , even tho he only appeared in Nintendo games. They would come with Rainbow Ship , because Mario Hoops 3 on 3 music slap , and would be easier to add than FF music. If 3 characters is too much for you , I'll stick to Shiromura (White Mage) , mostly because it's my best friend's favorite lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom