• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
You know one thing we're looooooong overdue for? A major Switch online dump... Just sayin'. I teased it way back in December but the fact that it still hasn't happened almost 5 months later makes me think that my guys probably were spot on about the next great big dump being heavily related to stuff that was originally going to be announced at E3 and I wouldn't be surprised at all if SMRPG is in that mix. As others have said, Nintendo's focus for the next 4-5 months is likely to be DLC and remakes/Remasters so the long awaited SNES dump either in May or June seems like a no brainer.
AaaaaaaahhhhhhHHHHH I'd love that. Make that SNES NSO worth it a bit more since the list right now is very shallow. Don't get me wrong, it's got some great titles so far, but it's missing a lot of the other greats; we all know it.

(SMRPG being one of them; there's the Geno tie-in, lol)

Edit: NOA's 2p tweet is another ad for XC:DE.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
You know one thing we're looooooong overdue for? A major Switch online dump... Just sayin'. I teased it way back in December but the fact that it still hasn't happened almost 5 months later makes me think that my guys probably were spot on about the next great big dump being heavily related to stuff that was originally going to be announced at E3 and I wouldn't be surprised at all if SMRPG is in that mix. As others have said, Nintendo's focus for the next 4-5 months is likely to be DLC and remakes/Remasters so the long awaited SNES dump either in May or June seems like a no brainer.
Most likely. With E3 out of the question, those big updates have to come sooner rather than later

Powerman293

Smash Ace
If SMRPG gets added to Switch online, I am gonna make sure I finish that game before the next Smash charcater annoucement.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
3p tweet: Some nerds with some celebrity nerds playing Mario Tennis. Still getting these hourly tweets though.

Inb4 a random drop gives us a bombshell announcement one of these days though...

If SMRPG gets added to Switch online, I am gonna make sure I finish that game before the next Smash charcater annoucement.
You absolutely should! I probs will as well even though I just played it recently with the randomizer.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'll start playing Super Mario RPG again if Geno's confirmed. After all, Geno's Goodbye shouldn't be something permanent

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Honestly, thank you for this because you just saved me from a major case of FOMO. All week I’ve been thinking about breaking out my Wii U to play SMRPG again (because, Geno) but maybe I can hold out for a few more months...

thanks Fatman!

RocksteadyBebop

Banned via Warnings
And then 5 months later you’ll say the same thing. :rolleyes:

then when it finally happens months later you’ll say “I called it” ;)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And then 5 months later you’ll say the same thing. :rolleyes:

then when it finally happens months later you’ll say “I called it” ;)
Weird thing to pick a fight about considering the last major Switch Online update was in December and Nintendo itself out right confirmed that there would be major delays for a good number of spring and summer announcements. There's also the fact that Switch Online announcements have lined up pretty heavy handedly with Directs and the Spring one was all but nuked because of Covid-19. Either way, we're overdue even if you think I'm a pathological liar or whatever.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Only 12 days until May 13th. :shades: Countdown's ... counting down.

Here's to hoping that we get an update to the SNES NSO Library around that day. :2gud:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
4p and 6p tweets about SMM2 and an ACNH "fashion show" (respectively). I don't think we're getting anything for awhile, but they still did have quite a few tweets today compared to normal.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Please stop responding to a banned user. Drop it and move on.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
24th anniversary of the North American release of Super Mario RPG. Nothing is confirmed but it's fun to note.
Oh my god that's right! That would be nuts if something actually happened for the NA anniversary but not the JP one... SMRPG on NSO perhaps?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Pretty sure Nintendo's done tweeting for the day at 6, so gonna assume there's nothing else. I'll still keep the tab open and check ~hourly though.
Edit: Still nothing at 9:30. Yeah, if they're not doing a direct announcement for the next day, they stop at 6p (Eastern). Good to know.

Is this the longest stretch of time that we’ve gone without any Geno-related tidbits post-Hero reveal??
Do "tidbits" include CacoMallow, Smash Legacy being C&D'd, and the heavy Mario rumors for June? If so, we've gotten some things here and there in the last 6 monthsish.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think we might just get a Smash Direct in June and they might just opt to do away with the individual "Sakurai Presents" presentations given the current circumstances. They might show the trailers and then just livestream Sakurai without the usual video editing kind of like how Nintendo does the Treehouse presentations at E3. I have a really hard time seeing the presentations continuing the exact same way since Sakurai's basically going to have to record himself without a crew. Let's face it, having to more or less make 6 presentations by himself would be a huge pain in the ass so I wouldn't at all be surprised if they just consolidated them into no less than 3 presentations.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I heard about Geoff Keighley's Summer Game Fest and I am guessing that is why Nintendo is holding back on a Direct, so that they can announce what they need to announce here. This event was probably planned for a while now and I can't see any other reason why we wouldn't get a Direct, and I really doubt Nintendo will have no part in this event since they HAVE to show us something, because 2020 is such a dry year for them.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I think we might just get a Smash Direct in June and they might just opt to do away with the individual "Sakurai Presents" presentations given the current circumstances. They might show the trailers and then just livestream Sakurai without the usual video editing kind of like how Nintendo does the Treehouse presentations at E3. I have a really hard time seeing the presentations continuing the exact same way since Sakurai's basically going to have to record himself without a crew. Let's face it, having to more or less make 6 presentations by himself would be a huge pain in the ass so I wouldn't at all be surprised if they just consolidated them into no less than 3 presentations.
When people said presentations would be EVEN lower budget, I couldn't imagine how. But this sounds exactly like that.

Only concern is Sakurai accidentally shows something live he shouldn't have, since he can't edit it out.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
When people said presentations would be EVEN lower budget, I couldn't imagine how. But this sounds exactly like that.

Only concern is Sakurai accidentally shows something live he shouldn't have, since he can't edit it out.
I think he would record a video himself , and then publish it in a live format , like the Nintendo directs.

I doubt he would take the risk of leaking any kind of infos , even if it would be just a line of code... because let's face it , the community went insane on a picture of Banjo in the last famitsu colomn by guessing the size of the character , so a line of code ? Yeah , it would go full into "Yeah , that line has the codename of FP7 !" when in the end it would just be the line of code for the spirit of Ness's father. (Just an example to explain how any small leak would make the community go crazy , even if it wouldn't leak much info in the end.)

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Working remotely isn’t really an excuse to shift to a live video feed. All they need to do is just send the video file to their video editing team.
Either way, Nintendo doesn’t really have much of an excuse to not show anything if progress has been fine.
On a side note, I’ve been keeping up with Smrpg fan game, definitely deserves more support. The developer is doing a great job so far recreating assets that make up the towns in the snes version.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
April was a month where the seeds of good news were planted.

In May, that good news will sprout more and more until the bulk of the seeds have fully bloomed.

In June, it will be the last of the good news finally blooming, with people commenting on what took so long on those compared to the May news.

This pertains both to the world and Smash. Things will improve greatly this month with the last things being waited on coming in June. ARMs will be shown this month with June being the grand debut of fully playable Geno.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I find it funny that GameFAQ's and 4Chan think that we believe Geno is going to get included just because Banjo got included too. I don't think Banjo proves that Geno is 100% getting included, but I think what Banjo DOES prove however is that Nintendo is listening to fan requests. Like, would Banjo REALLY have gotten included had he not have been a popular request? They could've chosen Steve to promote Minecraft, or Master Chief to promote Xbox in general, but they chose Banjo, because again, he was a popular request. He is owned by a console competitor, a character from a franchise that hasn't done anything in years and a Western character at that so I don't personally believe Banjo would have gotten in under normal circumstances. However, Nintendo acknowledged the fan support for the character, as well as Phil Spencer green lighting the idea as far back as Smash 4, so Banjo was included just to make the fans happy, and I think a similar case can happen with Geno.

Geno is a character Nintendo is doing nothing with, for obvious reasons, and I have no doubt in my mind Volume 2 will have at least one character that people have been clamoring for for years. And since rumors seem to suggest that Volume 2 will make tons of fans happy, then honestly Geno isn't that farfetched, since again, we did get Banjo. I just hate when people say that we think Geno is 100% in because of Banjo, when Banjo really just shows Nintendo is aware their fans exist. I just had to let that out because I am so tired of hearing that.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I find it funny that GameFAQ's and 4Chan think that we believe Geno is going to get included just because Banjo got included too. I don't think Banjo proves that Geno is 100% getting included, but I think what Banjo DOES prove however is that Nintendo is listening to fan requests. Like, would Banjo REALLY have gotten included had he not have been a popular request? They could've chosen Steve to promote Minecraft, or Master Chief to promote Xbox in general, but they chose Banjo, because again, he was a popular request. He is owned by a console competitor, a character from a franchise that hasn't done anything in years and a Western character at that so I don't personally believe Banjo would have gotten in under normal circumstances. However, Nintendo acknowledged the fan support for the character, as well as Phil Spencer green lighting the idea as far back as Smash 4, so Banjo was included just to make the fans happy, and I think a similar case can happen with Geno.

Geno is a character Nintendo is doing nothing with, for obvious reasons, and I have no doubt in my mind Volume 2 will have at least one character that people have been clamoring for for years. And since rumors seem to suggest that Volume 2 will make tons of fans happy, then honestly Geno isn't that farfetched, since again, we did get Banjo. I just hate when people say that we think Geno is 100% in because of Banjo, when Banjo really just shows Nintendo is aware their fans exist. I just had to let that out because I am so tired of hearing that.

If we were on a discord server , I would pin this message without hesitation.

But yeah , after getting characters like Ridley , K.Rool , and Banjo and Kazooie , it's obvious that Nintendo care about us , even if they don't choose all the fighters depending of who we want.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

Definitely, if K Rool, Ridley and Banjo entered (Being that they were in the same situation: Irrelevant, Forgotten "Except Ridley", Abandoned, Denied, Not having a Marketing Value, Requested for Almost 20 Years), I do not understand how Geno, Who was in the same situation stay as Spirit

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I do believe we will get at least one long-time fan request in this fighters pass. I think Geno has a real shot. I just have this feeling. On another note, it would be nice if Square and Nintendo collaborated together for another Mario RPG game. Nintendo allowed Cadence of Hyrule to happen and they have a strong relationship with Square Enix. This would probably be the final push to get Geno back into another.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I do believe we will get at least one long-time fan request in this fighters pass. I think Geno has a real shot. I just have this feeling.
I was thinking the same. Most of them will likely be either out of nowhere surprises or characters that make business sense but I think, like Banjo, Geno has the shot to be that one character that gets in due to fan demand.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Geno's the last major fan request that goes all the way back to the Melee/Brawl era of requests. I'd be shocked if Square wouldn't play ball with Sakurai given how well the Fighter Pass and Dragon Quest 11 for the Switch ended up selling.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
'Geno can't be added as he's irrelevant and inactive.'
-SMRPG Remake is announced-
'Geno can't be added because he's too new and the fanbase hasn't gotten a chance to know him.'

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It's going to be really odd if literally every game company is having announcements over the next few months except for Nintendo
I think people forget that Nintendo drops big info on Twitter all the time now. I mean we just got a huge update for Super Mario Maker 2 and a bunch of info on Xenoblade: Definitive Edition.

A direct might not happen that that doesn't mean that don't have stuff to show.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Geno's the last major fan request that goes all the way back to the Melee/Brawl era of requests. I'd be shocked if Square wouldn't play ball with Sakurai given how well the Fighter Pass and Dragon Quest 11 for the Switch ended up selling.
Brawl. Definitely Brawl. I don’t think any fan requests date back to Melee except for Banjo and maybe Ridley.

With that being said I was still kind of shocked that both Geno and Isaac didn’t make it into the base game as they have both been popular for a really long time. Honestly I would have far preferred that outcome in place of any of Inceneroar, Isabelle, or Piranha Plant.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I think Krystal and Isaac are in a similar place , but they would be easier to add due to their first party status.
Not saying either of them are competitors to Geno's spot , tho.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Honestly, Pass 2 going forward should be fan favorites and long time request characters. They can be ads but that should be a secondary characteristic.

Basically, a pass filled with Banjo-Kazooies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom