• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No yeah I get you, there's always gonna be some level of skepticism with leaks/rumors (except Geno, cuz he's in). It's just seeming more and more likely that the direct was canceled, but honestly, that's not that big of a deal, provided we still get all the info. I just hope that I don't get spoiled and randomly see it from not-Nintendo first.

("it" being DLC 7 or big games that I really want like Paper Mario)
Yeah, I understand. Normally, I would not trust someone like Sabi, since they have gotten things wrong in the past.

But the multiple reports thing...

You...should probably know where I am headed with that by now.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Can’t really compare Microsoft to Nintendo. Or Sony for that matter. Although Sony originates in Japan they do seem to be willing to adopt western approaches from time to time for certain branches of their business.

Nintendo seems to be rather traditional in a sense so it’s no surprise to me why they would have difficulties making a shift to a remote working structure.
Plus I’m not 100% sure on their culture, but living quarters are a tad different from what we are use to in the states. Wouldn’t be odd if many of their employees didn’t have personal desktop computers.

Overall I personally don’t think Nintendo was able to transition as fluidly as many of these western software engineering companies simply because of how their culture seems to be. As a result Nintendo is probably in disarray regarding certain projects right now.

I don’t think smash dlc will be affected in the grand scheme of things, but you do have to keep in mind that if certain promotional tie ins are pushed back that may create an issue.
Also the estimated finish date was the end of 2021. That’s a long time for development so Sakurai May feel like that’s ample enough time to finish dlc. Might explain why he mentioned smash progressing fine.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The more I look at this and what's actually happening the more stuff starts to fall into place. It doesn't REALLY make sense for them not to be able to host a direct, I mean they held a Mini just last month and it was all digital. So is something else going on here? Let's actually look at the rumors that have been floating around.
  • Rounding out the Wii U ports with Pikmin 3 and 3D World.
  • Whatever 3DS projects that have been moved over to Switch after Bowser's Inside Story bombed/Nintendo realized they'd make way more money on Switch, also extremely likely remakes given that was most of the first party output for the final 2 years.
  • The giant 3D Mario Collection Rumor
  • Other stuff floating around like Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword HD, I guess Rare Replay/MMC but those aren't really Nintendo related even if they are big
Seriously, aside from Paper Mario and the 2D Metroid, it's really just ports and remakes floating around, and I feel like I've heard multiple people at this point suggest that's most of what Nintendo has to offer this year along with smaller titles and third party stuff. I mean just look at the first half of the year, it's one big game with Animal Crossing and then just remakes (SMTxFE, Xenoblade, Mystery Dungeon, theres also that Famicom Detective Club remake coming out in Japan) and smaller titles (Good Job, Clubhouse Games). I know people will act like "Oh well the first half of the year is always slow!" And that's generally true, but they've announced N O T H I N G past June, it's pretty clear that Covid or not this was going to be a somewhat slower year. Metroid Prime and Bayonetta sure as hell aren't coming out this year. They likely planned on having one big Holiday game to fully show off at E3 like every other year, in all likelihood BOTW2, and have that carry the second half of the year along with one or two nicher titles like Paper Mario or 2D Metroid, and fill out the gaps with remakes, DLC with Pokemon and Smash, and third party stuff, like they did in 2018. All in all, actually a pretty nice year for the Switch, better than 2018 atleast.

Now put yourself in Nintendo's shoes. You planned already on having a (debatably) weaker year carried by two massive releases in Animal Crossing and the Holiday title and a bunch of more niche titles and remakes to keep the fans happy. But now everything is screwed up, and, hypothetically, whatever big game you expected to release this holiday season probably won't be able to make the deadline (Zelda getting delayed, imagine that) and all the sudden, you don't have a Holiday Title ready. Not to mention you have to move around a bunch of other release dates and reschedule the entire next year or two, third party games getting delayed as well, a complete mess.

Why hold a big E3 direct at that point when they aren't obligated to at all? I know this sucks for people to hear, but we are more likely than not at this point to ride out the rest of the year same as the first half. Nintendo is pretty well known at this point for keeping finished games on standby until they feel it's the right time to release, so it's realistic for them to just go "screw it" and try and patch out the rest of the year with whatever remakes they are sitting on like 3D World or the Prime Trilogy. We'll probably still get one or two bigger games they are able to finish spread out as well, but this is going to be a bumpy ride release wise. At the very least they weren't planning on releasing a console this year, I can't even IMAGINE what it's like to be working at Microsoft and Sony right now. It feels like a trainwreck waiting to happen at this point with the Series X and especially PS5.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
The more I look at this and what's actually happening the more stuff starts to fall into place. It doesn't REALLY make sense for them not to be able to host a direct, I mean they held a Mini just last month and it was all digital. So is something else going on here? Let's actually look at the rumors that have been floating around.
  • Rounding out the Wii U ports with Pikmin 3 and 3D World.
  • Whatever 3DS projects that have been moved over to Switch after Bowser's Inside Story bombed/Nintendo realized they'd make way more money on Switch, also extremely likely remakes given that was most of the first party output for the final 2 years.
  • The giant 3D Mario Collection Rumor
  • Other stuff floating around like Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword HD, I guess Rare Replay/MMC but those aren't really Nintendo related even if they are big
Seriously, aside from Paper Mario and the 2D Metroid, it's really just ports and remakes floating around, and I feel like I've heard multiple people at this point suggest that's most of what Nintendo has to offer this year along with smaller titles and third party stuff. I mean just look at the first half of the year, it's one big game with Animal Crossing and then just remakes (SMTxFE, Xenoblade, Mystery Dungeon, theres also that Famicom Detective Club remake coming out in Japan) and smaller titles (Good Job, Clubhouse Games). I know people will act like "Oh well the first half of the year is always slow!" And that's generally true, but they've announced N O T H I N G past June, it's pretty clear that Covid or not this was going to be a somewhat slower year. Metroid Prime and Bayonetta sure as hell aren't coming out this year. They likely planned on having one big Holiday game to fully show off at E3 like every other year, in all likelihood BOTW2, and have that carry the second half of the year along with one or two nicher titles like Paper Mario or 2D Metroid, and fill out the gaps with remakes, DLC with Pokemon and Smash, and third party stuff, like they did in 2018. All in all, actually a pretty nice year for the Switch, better than 2018 atleast.

Now put yourself in Nintendo's shoes. You planned already on having a (debatably) weaker year carried by two massive releases in Animal Crossing and the Holiday title and a bunch of more niche titles and remakes to keep the fans happy. But now everything is screwed up, and, hypothetically, whatever big game you expected to release this holiday season probably won't be able to make the deadline (Zelda getting delayed, imagine that) and all the sudden, you don't have a Holiday Title ready. Not to mention you have to move around a bunch of other release dates and reschedule the entire next year or two, third party games getting delayed as well, a complete mess.

Why hold a big E3 direct at that point when they aren't obligated to at all? I know this sucks for people to hear, but we are more likely than not at this point to ride out the rest of the year same as the first half. Nintendo is pretty well known at this point for keeping finished games on standby until they feel it's the right time to release, so it's realistic for them to just go "screw it" and try and patch out the rest of the year with whatever remakes they are sitting on like 3D World or the Prime Trilogy. We'll probably still get one or two bigger games they are able to finish spread out as well, but this is going to be a bumpy ride release wise. At the very least they weren't planning on releasing a console this year, I can't even IMAGINE what it's like to be working at Microsoft and Sony right now. It feels like a trainwreck waiting to happen at this point with the Series X and especially PS5.
Microsoft seems to be doing fine, and if I’m not mistaken they’ve announced an Xbox series x gameplay showing on the 7th of may.
Ps5 is rumored for June.
Both companies have also more or less said the release of both systems will still happen this year. I’m sure with some issues.
Overall they seem in a better position than Nintendo with these rumors coming out.

That being said Nintendo may not be obligated, but unfortunately like it or not Nintendo does have to still stay “somewhat” competitive to both Sony and Microsoft. The only way they can do that is by pushing more of their exclusive/ first party titles.
If they can’t even do that, then the switch is really no better than most mobile phones.

Hopefully these rumored titles are remakes and not remasters. I never waste my time on the latter. Even if Smrpg were remastered I probably wouldn’t purchase it for more than 5$.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Microsoft seems to be doing fine, and if I’m not mistaken they’ve announced an Xbox series x gameplay showing on the 7th of may.
Ps5 is rumored for June.
Both companies have also more or less said the release of both systems will still happen this year. I’m sure with some issues.
Overall they seem in a better position than Nintendo with these rumors coming out.
Microsoft I feel will be ok given that they're mostly pushing the Series X as more of a substantial upgrade to the existing console rather than a new thing. Not in a X/Sega CD/New 3DS kind of way, but more along the lines of what phones do every year. For Sony meanwhile, this IS their new big platform, yet they haven't even revealed what it looks like, let alone what it can actually do/play apart from the hardware specs. Either way launching new, high-end expensive consoles at a time where the majority of the world will still likely be in a recession, along with potential shipping difficulties and software delays, and the fact that neither seems to want to budge on the holiday window, doesn't look promising.

That being said Nintendo may not be obligated, but unfortunately like it or not Nintendo does have to still stay “somewhat” competitive to both Sony and Microsoft. The only way they can do that is by pushing more of their exclusive/ first party titles.
If they can’t even do that, then the switch is really no better than most mobile phones.
Nintendo just released the hottest game in the world last month, it's selling gangbusters and unlike other game publishers/companies, Nintendo games have MASSIVE legs and keep selling. The majority of Switch owners already own other consoles/PC, it doesn't compete with them in a traditional sense. I honestly wonder if Nintendo needs a giant release to compete with them this year, given that I expect most of the PS5 and Series X (its confirmed for it) launch titles to be cross-gen games. Why spend (atleast) $400 dollars on a brand new console when all the games are also coming out on current gen platforms, especially when people will have less disposable income due to the recession.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
What if this whole no Nintendo Direct in June leak made us think it was delayed, only for the Direct to be in May instead? Lmfao

Polarthief

Smash Lord
What if this whole no Nintendo Direct in June leak made us think it was delayed, only for the Direct to be in May instead? Lmfao
I am not expecting a May direct, but I do think we might get shadowdropped information sooner than June.

Also unless the "extra dev time" was mostly bullcrap for the ARMS rep, I doubt we're getting smash stuff early.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I desperately wany octolings in smash, but I dont see them coming unless Nintendo does an echo fighters pass.
...did you mean to post that in the Octoling thread? It’s right below this one so I don’t blame you for the mix up

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If they are not being able to get one done in June, I highly doubt it will be one in May.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
If they are not being able to get one done in June, I highly doubt it will be one in May.
Nintendo just wants to get their announcements out of the way before the Random Chimp Event, which scientists are predicting will likely happen sometime this summer.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I'm willing to bet 7 is either ready to go, or close to it. 6 is done but likely just requiring number-tweaking (a lot of tweaking, hence the "extra dev time is needed"). They could have honestly shown off the character, they just didn't want to because **** us I guess.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One month to go. Like Pinshadow said earlier, the rumors for this year have overwhelmingly been remakes and remasters and even the stuff that has gotten headlines could potentially be remakes too. Paper Mario? A lot of disagreement if it's totally new. Metroid? Same thing with some claims it's a beefed up Super Metroid. Beyond that you have Markomaro's DK platformer rumor, the revival of at least one dead franchise, and... That's it. I talked about it a few weeks ago but Nintendo has released a new major game for virtually all its major franchises for the Switch already and there's going to be some lull. Personally, I love remasters which is a big reason why I've been excited for this year because most of the rumors have been for games that Nintendo hasn't rereleased a billion times before or franchises that Nintendo barely touches.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Well then some guy/girl started off with a "random chimp event"
You really should click the "reply" button so people know who you're talking about/referring to.

One month to go. Like Pinshadow said earlier, the rumors for this year have overwhelmingly been remakes and remasters and even the stuff that has gotten headlines could potentially be remakes too. Paper Mario? A lot of disagreement if it's totally new. Metroid? Same thing with some claims it's a beefed up Super Metroid. Beyond that you have Markomaro's DK platformer rumor, the revival of at least one dead franchise, and... That's it. I talked about it a few weeks ago but Nintendo has released a new major game for virtually all its major franchises for the Switch already and there's going to be some lull. Personally, I love remasters which is a big reason why I've been excited for this year because most of the rumors have been for games that Nintendo hasn't rereleased a billion times before or franchises that Nintendo barely touches.
Which TBH I'm fine with. Hell I'd be pretty happy with remastered PM64+TTYD. I'd be more thrilled if the not-garbage Paper Mario game turns out to be true... plus a Geno reveal for #SEVENtySEVEN for his SEVEN stars. That's 3 sevens, which is pretty lucky in slot machines, so he's definitely #77, right?

Also in other news, Nintendo started tweeting 30m ago. Keeping my eyes peeled on NOA. The only tweet today so far is just a May thing for Kirby Clash.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
According to another tweet in the newcomer thread, they won’t
So some of us should watch NOA Twitter (*has already volunteered his time*) and post non-spoiler links if we get any neato shadowdrops. *thumbsup*

I know it was joked about yesterday, but inb4 Geno gets shadowdropped in June; I'd laugh so hard while also crying tears of joy.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm willing to bet 7 is either ready to go, or close to it. 6 is done but likely just requiring number-tweaking (a lot of tweaking, hence the "extra dev time is needed"). They could have honestly shown off the character, they just didn't want to because **** us I guess.
I was more talking about a "may direct". When it comes to the Arms characters, or fighter 7 (be it, Geno, or someone like Arms aka a character that has gone under the radar), I feel that its all up in the air. For what we know, it can go on smoothly, for what we know there is something that can end up forcing Sakurai to delay the presentation and not be ready to cover the next characters as well. Just because he wrote that it went smoothly and on track, doesn¨t mean that it exactly means it will go as planned in the long run.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I figured it was probably too soon for Nintendo to be involved with something other than E3. Now, the only question that remains is how long into May or June do we wait for the news to drop.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I figured it was probably too soon for Nintendo to be involved with something other than E3. Now, the only question that remains is how long into May or June do we wait for the news to drop.
Or they could drop announcements independently of this Summer of Games event

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
At the very least though they could be in phase 2?

Phase 1 in this tweet doesn’t have Nintendo
I think it's safe to say that Nintendo won't be apart of this. I mean these are a lot of big names in one graphic and you would think Nintendo would be on there. Either Nintendo was too late in saying they wanted join or Nintendo didn't want to join. Who knows? Nintendo could be doing their own thing over the summer.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Or they could drop announcements independently of this Summer of Games event
This, which they've literally started doing yesterday and the night before (with LM3 DLC being shadowdropped the night of the 29th, TWO~THREE MONTHS EARLY). I won't be surprised if we get much bigger announcements dropped as we get closer to June, and the community+media websites will take care of the rest regarding marketing anyways.

Edit: Actually they started over a week ago, just randomly shadowdropping SMM2's latest update like it's nbd.

I think it's safe to say that Nintendo won't be apart of this. I mean these are a lot of big names in one graphic and you would think Nintendo would be on there. Either Nintendo was too late in saying they wanted join or Nintendo didn't want to join. Who knows? Nintendo could be doing their own thing over the summer.
Yeah, there's no way Nintendo was just unaware or anything, it seems deliberate they didn't want to do it, esp when they also have other Japanese companies (like Sony and SE) on board, so it's not like the problem of having Western companies able to adapt to the virus better than Eastern.

I honestly think we're in for a bunch of random shadowdrop announcements throughout May and June at this point, possibly even July, with a Q3/Q4 direct to wrap them all together in case someone missed some of them.

Edit: Nintendo skipped their hourly tweet for 12p, ree.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
text to avoid the friendly reminder™ , I haven't written in cursive for 15 years.
LOL Seriously, I can't remember the last time I wrote in cursive unless it was to write a name on the outside of a fancy anniversary/Valentine's day card. I remember my mom insisting that it was an important skill because it allowed for "faster, more efficient hand writing"..... 20 years later, it takes me longer to write legible cursive and word processing has made hand writing almost obsolete.

D

Deleted member

LOL Seriously, I can't remember the last time I wrote in cursive unless it was to write a name on the outside of a fancy anniversary/Valentine's day card. I remember my mom insisting that it was an important skill because it allowed for "faster, more efficient hand writing"..... 20 years later, it takes me longer to write legible cursive and word processing has made hand writing almost obsolete.
yeah I sign my documents in it... but my name is the only thing I can write like that and half the time I just slam down some chicken scratch doctor's signature and call it a day.

But I gave it my all for a Geno related ****post, damn it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
NO CLUE what's in this video, just saw their 1p tweet. Bout to watch, just wanted to post it here first.

Edit: I don't think this is anything new, just being like "oh here's April games you already knew about if you've been keeping up" (which I haven't been but I don't really care about most of these).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Edit: I don't think this is anything new, just being like "oh here's April games you already knew about if you've been keeping up" (which I haven't been but I don't really care about most of these).
They post these once a month reminding people of what came out in the previous month. It's not worth noting, at least not in this thread.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You know one thing we're looooooong overdue for? A major Switch online dump... Just sayin'. I teased it way back in December but the fact that it still hasn't happened almost 5 months later makes me think that my guys probably were spot on about the next great big dump being heavily related to stuff that was originally going to be announced at E3 and I wouldn't be surprised at all if SMRPG is in that mix. As others have said, Nintendo's focus for the next 4-5 months is likely to be DLC and remakes/Remasters so the long awaited SNES dump either in May or June seems like a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom