• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's also the possibility that it won't be a "Direct" in the sense of an actual presentation and it's just a bunch of trailers mashed together or what they usually do after most Directs anyways and just dump a bunch of trailers over the course of a day or two. "The world sucks right now so here's F-ZERO."

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Since everyone seems to think that Jon Cartwright is a leaker, and when they cover something, something is legit... well
They covered it... and he is the one making that video, going so far to say that the author is worth taking serious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK5rekY1-TU

Edit - He also tweeted this

"I think the ARMS character will still likely be revealed in June but it's also important to keep expectations in check" posting the screenshot of Nintendo addressing COVID 19

https://twitter.com/JonComms/status/1255913085564575752

"Only 5 weeks until nothing"
https://twitter.com/JonComms/status/1255878159611895809

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
There's also the possibility that it won't be a "Direct" in the sense of an actual presentation and it's just a bunch of trailers mashed together or what they usually do after most Directs anyways and just dump a bunch of trailers over the course of a day or two. "The world sucks right now so here's F-ZERO."
I'd be okay with that approach

link2702

Smash Champion
the reason nintendo is likely cancelling their e3 stuff.....

is because they have the directs to go on. Sony and microsoft don't.

But also remember each is their own company, each of them are taking different actions based on what they feel is best course of action.

.....not sure where this topic came from and all but anyway that's my two cents on it.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I really don't think anyone from Famitsu has seen the full pictures - Sakurai most likely took those and cropped them himself, and sent them to the magazine to use.

Also
>giving sabi relevance
>believing zippo

break me off a piece of that kit kat bar.
I dunno if the second part was directed at me or at the thread as a whole , but I don't believe in a new PM game only for rumors. We pretty much got one PM game per system , and there was a 3-5 years wait between each entry. On top of that , no Mario RPG is on the Switch , so it just seem like a likely time to announce a new PM game.
And I don't believe this 3D all stars Mario game , at best I see a Sunshine remake.

But we've got quite a lot of Mario related announcements as of late , so they might just want to do something in general for Mario that year.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Of course, the June release can be changed, both delayed OR sooner. They said Banjo was a Fall release. Then he came out September 4th, a day during the season of Not Fall.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you SCIENCE! Thanks to my man Serenade for bringing the picture to my attention, I needed a good way to kill 30 minutes.

Let’s look at that Sakurai pic.
View attachment 270621
First observation: this is either Battlefield or Big Battlefield, we actually can’t tell which.

Second: the camera is centered. My first task? Get the camera centered like that, and I found...
View attachment 270622
that it’s impossible with two characters! There must be more to get the camera in that position!
View attachment 270623
that’s better. Now Mario’s a little farther right than our mystery character, but the way I see it the character appears to be slightly taller than Mario! Therefore...
View attachment 270624
Luigi! Perfect! If the screenshot is from normal Battlefield, the character is about as tall as Luigi. But what if it’s Big Battlefield? Well, I’ll cut to the chase.
View attachment 270625
Captain Falcon, or average Smash human size. So if the shot is from Big Battlefield, the character is about average Smash human sized, possibly our ARMS character

Also it could just be someone we already have lol. But that’s no fun.

TLDR: If the shot is from Battlefield, the character is about as tall as Luigi. If it’s from Big Battlefield, they’re as tall as Captain Falcon
Could the arms character be Springman by this logic? Also the multiple characters on stage could suggest alts like bowser junior, (again a bit tinfoil hat thinking)
hello.jpg

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Honestly, if the ARMs character is specifically one that hasn't been in Smash at all (so its not Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, etc), then we would have to concede that the 'Spirits deconfirm' group was right and accept it for now going forward until a character inclusion says otherwise.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, this isn't a bad situation because **** is still going to get announced but you Zoomers and Doomers are going to get a crash course on what waiting for video game announcements was like in the 90's and early 2000's. Nintendo has set a good precedent the past two weeks of just casually dropping major announcements and that's likely going to be a summary of the summer, us debating the pros and cons of alcoholism when Nintendo nonchalantly announces Pauline's Xtra Thicc BDSM Adventure at like 11 o'clock at night on a random Thursday.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The only thing I think genuinely deconfirms beyond a shadow of a doubt is ATs and to a lesser extent Mii costumes. I believe both Min Min and Geno are the likely next two characters going by various factors that have been discussed at great length already.

Honestly, this isn't a bad situation because **** is still going to get announced but you Zoomers and Doomers are going to get a crash course on what waiting for video game announcements was like in the 90's and early 2000's. Nintendo has set a good precedent the past two weeks of just casually dropping major announcements and that's likely going to be a summary of the summer, us debating the pros and cons of alcoholism when Nintendo nonchalantly announces Pauline's Xtra Thicc BDSM Adventure at like 11 o'clock at night on a random Thursday.
Also yep, it's fairly similar to Smash 4's character reveal process

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
You might be right but like you said a while back, lots of us are waiting on good news during these ****ty times we are currently in. We had a mini direct but it certainly didn't announce anything new in terms of first party content. Mario Maker DLC and other announcements are nice but until we really see what Nintendo has in store for the remaining year, it will not look good knowing there probably won't be a presentation in June.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm sorry, but it wouldn't make any sense for Nintendo to just fold for the year because of the virus. The entire rest of the video game industry is proceeding as planned. Why would only Nintendo be experiencing all these difficulties and no one else? I would urge people to wait for official comments and not buy too much into rumors.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Nintendo: 'We are not having a June Direct.'
-Internet panics-
Nintendo: 'Because we moved it up to May. Here's the May Direct.'

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nintendo can easily put out information via Youtube trailers. A direct is not required. If they feel it's easier to stick with trailers, so be it. It's just not in a nice round package with commentary.

The point is to let people know new games exist. Twitter also works fine for that. How do you think we even find out about a direct?

They're accomplishing the same thing, just not in the best presentable format. It's for the best anyway. Trying to get people together with all the extra video time isn't really worth it when they can better spend their time at home working on games as is. Twitter/Youtube is more than good enough at this point.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but it wouldn't make any sense for Nintendo to just fold for the year because of the virus. The entire rest of the video game industry is proceeding as planned. Why would only Nintendo be experiencing all these difficulties and no one else? I would urge people to wait for official comments and not buy too much into rumors.
If these canceled direct rumors are to be believed, it seems like they'll just shadowdrop stuff. I doubt any big things got canceled (besides any IRL physical events and SMM2 content), and we'll just get trailers randomly.

I am concerned regarding a handful of insiders saying to "keep expectations low", considering we've got practically nothing since E3 last year, so it's next to impossible to keep expectations low. BK in Smash was the last big announcement for me, so yeah, I've been technically waiting almost 11 months for something, anything.

Nintendo: 'We are not having a June Direct.'
-Internet panics-
Nintendo: 'Because we moved it up to May. Here's the May Direct.'
omgplz. Maybe they heard about Microsoft and were like "okay we gotta move it to May, too".

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Yeah , while the virus probably affected them in term of development and all of that... I doubt it will be enough to straight up be no directs. At most I see the direct getting delayed to July/August , since they aren't forced to do an E3. They could do a Direct earlier or later.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
If the rumors about an even lower presentation budget are true, that means we could get a Sakurai house tour for Sakurai presents lol.
"Yo it's ya boy, SakiSacksM, comin' atcha live from my gamer house with the hottest new info on Vol.2 of the Fighter Pass!!"
SakuraiWestside.png

"Ey yo, can I get some KirPogs in the chat?!"
KirPog.png
KirPog.png
KirPog.png
KirPog.png
KirPog.png
KirPog.png
KirPog.png

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If these canceled direct rumors are to be believed, it seems like they'll just shadowdrop stuff. I doubt any big things got canceled (besides any IRL physical events and SMM2 content), and we'll just get trailers randomly.

I am concerned regarding a handful of insiders saying to "keep expectations low", considering we've got practically nothing since E3 last year, so it's next to impossible to keep expectations low. BK in Smash was the last big announcement for me, so yeah, I've been technically waiting almost 11 months for something, anything.

omgplz. Maybe they heard about Microsoft and were like "okay we gotta move it to May, too".
That makes sense. Honestly I don't care what insiders say anymore. They've been btfo'd so many times. When was the last time they actually got anything right?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Yeah , while the virus probably affected them in term of development and all of that... I doubt it will be enough to straight up be no directs. At most I see the direct getting delayed to July/August , since they aren't forced to do an E3. They could do a Direct earlier or later.
Or ditch the direct in favor of a bunch of trailers. There just won't be a direct to keep them all to one thing.

Seriously, I don't think this means we're getting ****all; that would be the most dumb thing they could do right now, given they have shown nothing else for the year, and people who are *attempting* to buy switches right now have nothing else to look forward to. Not a great thing for anyone who is about to drop above MSRP on a console.

That makes sense. Honestly I don't care what insiders say anymore. They've been btfo'd so many times. When was the last time they actually got anything right?
True that. The one guy who said "direct on the 26th" started to dab when the mini got shadowdropped, but he seems to have blatantly forgotten that he claimed it wasn't a mini direct. Insiders have gotten pretty much everything wrong these last months.

Honestly, and I know it might be crazy, but I'm starting to think a lot of stuff might be leakbait so Nintendo can try and shatter all trust the community has in these people. Just a possibility. I am still pretty worried about Sabi saying to curb expectations considering we've been waiting for something for 11 months.

Also no idea what is new or just a reannouncement, but NoA has been tweeting like nuts today. Nothing mind-shattering or anything, but I do recommend taking a look.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm, not having a June Nintendo Direct similar to the last couple of years, could actually help give more flexibility to announce upcoming games. Heck, we'll be kicking off May tomorrow. What if some day during May they so happen to randomly tweet an update on the SNES NSO Library with some long awaited games, including Super Mario RPG, AND (or) upload said announcement along with Geno's ninja reveal as CP 7? This new scenario would broaden the possibilities of how Nintendo would approach the announcement of their upcoming titles during these times.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Yeah I'm sorry, I'm not so quick to believe this bombastic article from famed journalist that everyone's heard about Jeff Grubb™ has much credibility to it. Not until there's some good sources corroborating that claim, I won't.

But even if I were to believe it, that doesn't change a thing about Smash. Sakurai still said in his recent article that work on DLC fighters is doing great even in the current situation, so a Smash presentation in June with maybe even a trailer for the next fighter (read: Geno) is very possible. No need to feel down because of this news, folks!

Last edited:

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
I think everyone is overreacting. They’ve been working on games and DLC, things are delayed cause of the virus, and because of the virus they have to make adjustments which means there won’t be a huge presentation like we are used to. Ok, then they scatter the announcements from now till the end of the summer. I prefer that instead of hearing news they are stopping development altogether. It sounds to me they’re trying to adapt to the situation.

I also think we shouldn’t be comparing Nintendo to Microsoft. They’ve probably had their announcements prepared in advance anyways if they plan to reveal their news, what, on the 7th? (I can’t confirm, just remembering what I read).

As far as I know, this is just a rumor, and as usual, take it with a grain of salt until Nintendo themselves come out with official news

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
"Yo it's ya boy, SakiSacksM, comin' atcha live from my gamer house with the hottest new info on Vol.2 of the Fighter Pass!!"
View attachment 270684
"Ey yo, can I get some KirPogs in the chat?!"
View attachment 270685View attachment 270685View attachment 270685View attachment 270685View attachment 270685View attachment 270685View attachment 270685
"Hey guys, it's xXSakuraiKirbyCreator70Xx, here again with another Smash Bros Ultimate Let's Play! Today, we're going to be playing Geno, he hasn't been revealed as a fighter yet, but I have access to him because I created the game. Also, quit saying I'm a liar Bill_Trinen_Loves_SeattleXD, I created Smash Bros and I have access to content before anyone else does! I know people who work at Nintendo!!! :mad: Anyway, here's Geno, he's in the game because he's super cool and epic. Some people say he's too obscure to be in Smash but that doesn't matter, quit saying it does. He's releasing soon, so make sure to subscribe to know when that happens as soon as possible. Thank you for watching and please rate 5 stars."

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
AND (or) upload said announcement along with Geno's ninja reveal as CP 7?
I don't see DLC 7 being revealed (at least the character won't, the franchise might) before the ARMS rep is. That'd be really weird, IMO, unless the ARMS rep is taking waaaay more time than expected, but they already have #7 ready to be shown to hold people over or something. Depends how important Smash DLC is to them, and given how they're like "oh yeah ARMS is next" in the middle of a mini direct, it seems like it's not all that important this time around like it was last year.

I also think we shouldn’t be comparing Nintendo to Microsoft. They’ve probably had their announcements prepared in advance anyways if they plan to reveal their news, what, on the 7th? (I can’t confirm, just remembering what I read).
For sure this. Even the crappy mini direct was likely being worked on during some of January/most of Feb, so Microsoft was likely working on theirs in March/April, possibly even longer, depending how big their thing is.

Also just checked the Twitter, they seem to be posting something every 30m-120m.
(all times in EDT)
- 9a 51 games thing
- 10a: Burnout Paradise
- (?) Retweeted something posted at 10a about Levelhead (don't know when they RT'd)
- 12p: Splatoon 2 demo
- 1:30p: Streets of Rage 4
- 2p: SMM2 new Ninji speedrun
(UPDATE)- 3:01p: Shulk

That's a lot of things to post about in one day on a non-direct day; again, dunno what is just a "here's a reminder" tweet and "here's something shadowdropped" tweet, but it's still a lot of tweets. Expect more to come.

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
So, i tried to edit that sakurai pic and fitted in those pics with luigi and falcon, and it seems to me....
LUIGI
comp1.png

CAPTAIN FALCON
comp2.png

that the closest one to the original is the capton falcon one.
Which leads me to believe that the fighter is the size of captain falcon, thus probably being that arms character (or it's literally captain falcon)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So, i tried to edit that sakurai pic and fitted in those pics with luigi and falcon, and it seems to me....
LUIGI
View attachment 270688
CAPTAIN FALCON
View attachment 270689
Which leads me to believe that the fighter is the size of captain falcon, thus probably being that arms character (or it's literally captain falcon)
I don't understand this image. Are we trying to piece together the cut out character standing on the platform?

I don't see any Luigi or Captain Falcon either

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Yeah you youngins don’t know suffering until you’ve waited the length of time between Brawl’s announcement and Ike’s announcement for a Smash character reveal

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I don't understand this image. Are we trying to piece together the cut out character standing on the platform?

I think we are all missing the biggest piece of info from this picture:

That Sakurai leaked that Banjo will be playable in Smash.

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice

It's just speculation about the height of the character using Luigi and Captain Falcon as an estimate. We're not seriously considering it due to it most likely not meaning anything.

MattX20

Smash Hero

It's mostly based on Spatulo's musings regarding the height of the character hidden from view, SSGuy

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
LUIGI
View attachment 270688
CAPTAIN FALCON
View attachment 270689
Could the arms character be Springman by this logic? Also the multiple characters on stage could suggest alts like bowser junior, (again a bit tinfoil hat thinking)View attachment 270682
I don’t really have anything to add I’m just happy to see fellow madmen extrapolating from my work lol, we might actually be onto something

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's just speculation about the height of the character using Luigi and Captain Falcon as an estimate. We're not seriously considering it due to it most likely not meaning anything.
Remember people trying to use Brave's attributes and applying them to a character to figure out what they're like? Ah, good times.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you SCIENCE! Thanks to my man Serenade for bringing the picture to my attention, I needed a good way to kill 30 minutes.

Let’s look at that Sakurai pic.
View attachment 270621
First observation: this is either Battlefield or Big Battlefield, we actually can’t tell which.

Second: the camera is centered. My first task? Get the camera centered like that, and I found...
View attachment 270622
that it’s impossible with two characters! There must be more to get the camera in that position!
View attachment 270623
that’s better. Now Mario’s a little farther right than our mystery character, but the way I see it the character appears to be slightly taller than Mario! Therefore...
View attachment 270624
Luigi! Perfect! If the screenshot is from normal Battlefield, the character is about as tall as Luigi. But what if it’s Big Battlefield? Well, I’ll cut to the chase.
View attachment 270625
Captain Falcon, or average Smash human size. So if the shot is from Big Battlefield, the character is about average Smash human sized, possibly our ARMS character

Also it could just be someone we already have lol. But that’s no fun.

TLDR: If the shot is from Battlefield, the character is about as tall as Luigi. If it’s from Big Battlefield, they’re as tall as Captain Falcon
I love stuff like this because it offers some good theorycraft. Here's a chart of everyone before DLC happened:

static-assets-upload7444750627122089626.png

As you can see here, a vast majority of the "human characters" fall between Falcon and Luigi height wise. Not exactly shocking because, for all intents and purposes, the ARMS cast is mostly human. This does potentially offer some insight based on this chart.

-If Captain Falcon's height, they're likely standing at full height. If you look at category "A" most of these characters stand straight up and down and don't have much of a knee bend if at all in their idle stance.

-If Luigi's height, there's a strong possibility they are standing in a knee bent stance. If you look at the humans in B and C, most don't stand straight up and down.

What does this tell us? The character is not big or tall and the odds are in their favor that they're actually in a stance. This playlist helps demonstrate my talking points.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIXhaTgX8uitfxdOD1yA98D3vnPS-JCR7

Straight up and down: Twintelle, Mechanica, Barq and Byte

Slight stance: Springman/Springtron, Ribbon Girl, Min Min

Deep stance: Ninjara, Misango, Kid Cobra

In a stance but still huge: Master Mummy, Max Brass

Slight stance but height fluctuates: Helix

Slight stance but bounces/hops in place: Lola Pop

Literally levitates: Dr. Coyle

Surprising no one, this knocks out a lot of characters on first inspection: Dr. Coyle, Master Mummy, Max Brass, Mechanica, and Barq and Byte. Basically we're left with all the characters that are average human height. If they're no shorter than Luigi's height, this helps eliminate the characters with deep stances: Ninjara, Misango, and Kid Cobra. For the sake of consistency, we should also eliminate Lola Pop and Helix because their heights change with their idle animations. This then leaves us with Twintelle, Springman, Ribbon Girl, and Min-Min.

If the character is Captain Falcon's height, there's a very real possibility that it could be Twintelle. If you look at Falcon's height category, it includes most of the human women. The exceptions are basically ZSS and Sheik because of their stances. Twintelle's stance is comparable to Palutena.

If the character is Luigi's height, they're likely in a stance similar to Sheik or Link, pretty much a sweet spot for Springman, Ribbongirl, and Min-Min.

In conclusion... There's a very real possibility that most people's predictions for the ARMS' characters are going to wind up true because this theory points to it being one of the five that's already a spirit in the game.

D

Deleted member

Darn shame about the Nintendo Direct in June not happening.

We’ll still get information in some way of course and the ARMS character.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Me, Circa March 2020: “Nintendo’s probably gonna pull some **** where they don’t have a direct until August or something because of E3 being cancelled.”

Almost everyone I talked to: “Nah stop being negative there will of course be a June Direct”

Me after today:
7C968EDA-D112-4557-83C8-06B7902004E2.jpeg

(Not like I wanted to be right, but gee, saw that coming a mile away)

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Remember people trying to use Brave's attributes and applying them to a character to figure out what they're like? Ah, good times.
I remember some pro player saying Brave's stats could totally match up with Sora. And then Hero was the exact opposite of that lol.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I remember some pro player saying Brave's stats could totally match up with Sora. And then Hero was the exact opposite of that lol.
My favorite one was Kid Erdrick cause it seems similar to Lucas/Ness' height.

General attributes only do so much. XD

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah I'm sorry, I'm not so quick to believe this bombastic article from famed journalist that everyone's heard about Jeff Grubb™ has much credibility to it. Not until there's some good sources corroborating that claim, I won't.
Jon from Gamxplain says that the dude is to be trusted, and everyone acts like he knows stuff so...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Jon from Gamxplain says that the dude is to be trusted, and everyone acts like he knows stuff so...
Trusted does not always mean right. What if this guy is wrong? Just because one guy says another is trustable won’t mean they are right.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
For people that wonder why it's worth keeping expectations in check, due to the article and all
People are saying "why won¨t Nintendo be able to fix it all if Microsoft and Sony....".. Microsoft and Sony are more cooperate led then what Nintendo is. For instance, Sony Entertainment owns Naughty Dogs' studio, yet they are okay with minimal pay, and forces crunch on their programmers. Nintendo on the other hand, allows its programmers to take the time they need ("insert famous Shigeru Miyamoto quote here") and refuse to forces crunch on their workers. Just look at Breath of The Wild, or with recent titles, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem. Both games being delayed quite a while.

Both games and movies are often announced, only then to be delayed or even canceled during production even though they have been announced. Atlus has said that SMT goes along well... Well, we have waited years, yet not even a trailer has arrived. The same goes for Bayonetta 3 from Platinum.

Due to the coronavirus, we live in an unprecedented time. We live in a time where the majority of people work from home, which is something that Japan is uncommon. Sakurai has said that meetings with people about presentations for said characters have been hard to do due to this, so who is to say that Nintendo has not had the same issue? And sure, they might have done a good job before they started working from home, but that does not mean the production will come to a halt/slow down because how they need to change the structure of production, communication, security when it comes to leaks about which the 5 other characters is besides Arms.

Trusted does not always mean right. What if this guy is wrong? Just because one guy says another is trustable won’t mean they are right.
So what your saying is that Jon is hinting/reporting something when it benefits us, we should trust him, but when it's not, we should doubt him/them then? (this is not directed to that specific thread, I see that behavior constantly when it comes to movies too for example) It goes both ways. Sure, he could be wrong... I was just pointing this out because this thread acts like Jon knows everything Nintendo does and reads his every move with a microscope.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom