• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
It may just be that there is no June direct, I've been thinking that for a while now; and the person who "leaked" the date of the March direct is stating that there won't be a June direct now either. They may just use twitter for reveals/announcements instead of a traditional direct.
I really hope that turns out to be false. That would be such a huge disappointment unless they actually plan on doing really huge reveals over... Twitter...
That would also greatly spike in everything being spoiled for the majority of people which would kinda suck.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I really hope that turns out to be false. That would be such a huge disappointment unless they actually plan on doing really huge reveals over... Twitter...
That would also greatly spike in everything being spoiled for the majority of people which would kinda suck.
I mean it's a crisis, so optimal reveals aren't really Nintendo's main concern. What would you rather have Nintendo doing reveals on twitter, or saving everything until post-June possibly even later than July.

Zippo (not that I think he's 100% accurate) also backed Jeff (Direct leaker) on this and pretty much stated that Nintendo of Japan wasn't ready for Work from Home (although it is contradicted by Sakurai stating that working from home is going well, but that's more Bamco then Nintendo I guess). Creating a direct requires a dozen companies working together, all of whom are also affected by the crisis, so all plans are out the window. Not to mention all the people required for taking footage/editing the actual direct.

I doubt that ARMS will get a huge CGI trailer, and if Character 7 is revealed soon; I'm pretty sure they may skip out on that trailer altogether. They'll liekly be just Smash 4 esque announcements now.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I mean it's a crisis, so optimal reveals aren't really Nintendo's main concern. What would you rather have Nintendo doing reveals on twitter, or saving everything until post-June possibly even later than July.

Zippo (not that I think he's 100% accurate) also backed Jeff (Direct leaker) on this and pretty much stated that Nintendo of Japan wasn't ready for Work from Home (although it is contradicted by Sakurai stating that working from home is going well, but that's more Bamco then Nintendo I guess). Creating a direct requires a dozen companies working together, all of whom are also affected by the crisis, so all plans are out the window. Not to mention all the people required for taking footage/editing the actual direct.

I doubt that ARMS will get a huge CGI trailer, and if Character 7 is revealed soon; I'm pretty sure they may skip out on that trailer altogether. They'll liekly be just Smash 4 esque announcements now.
*sigh* Fair enough I guess. It won't feel as great, but if I get Geno and PM3, I'll still be pretty ecstatic even if it gets spoiled. I've trusted Zippo this long, despite being wrong about their direct date anyway, might as well trust them with this too.

Honestly I only "trust" him because I want that PM3 rumor to be legit SO BADLY.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
That actually makes a lot of sense that they wouldn't be able to really pull together the resources to prepare a big direct for June so maybe we should prepare for more scattered announcements. Honestly that's fine with me as long as they begin soon and are relatively common. I still think Geno will be number 8 so I'm not expecting to hear him any time soon. Regardless, I look forward to June to see who the ARMS character is and I think they'll be fun to play with a wacky gimmick. It's a shame we really could go through June and only get the ARMS reveal Smash-wise tho.

Also, anyone else notice Ericthegamerman's name popping up in those links Xehanort posted? Kinda funny. Haven't seen them around in a long time.

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
That actually makes a lot of sense that they wouldn't be able to really pull together the resources to prepare a big direct for June so maybe we should prepare for more scattered announcements. Honestly that's fine with me as long as they begin soon and are relatively common. I still think Geno will be number 8 so I'm not expecting to hear him any time soon. Regardless, I look forward to June to see who the ARMS character is and I think they'll be fun to play with a wacky gimmick. It's a shame we really could go through June and only get the ARMS reveal Smash-wise tho.

Also, anyone else notice Ericthegamerman's name popping up in those links Xehanort posted? Kinda funny. Haven't seen them around in a long time.
Yeah, the Newcomer thread is his new home, and he doesn't have that fan-made Geno stock icon on him anymore. Which tells me his current feelings with Geno. Though, I do see his name on here, time to time.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People already beat me to it but Nintendo just decided to say **** it and release the second wave of Luigi's Mansion 3 DLC almost three months early. Kind of makes the missing Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits stick out even more if the spirit event this coming Tuesday isn't related to it. Also, even if Nintendo is totally foregoing an E3 Direct, I imagine they'll stick to their original statement about Smash in June.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
No CG Trailers seems like a pretty bad deal IMO. We didn't have them during Smash 4 DLC but it sucked then too. I can't imagine Geno without a CG Trailer.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I wouldn't worry about the trailers. Animation studios usually do big projects in sections, kind of like seasons, so it's pretty likely that most of them are already done and Nintendo's waiting for the right time to show them. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Nintendo has had at least the first half since January.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I personally don't think we'll get reveals for any character, especially if its a third-party, without a CGI trailer. I also do think a June Direct is still possible since their have been rumors of E3 being more online-oriented due to the quarantine, and I don't see why Nintendo would miss out on that. I say if they have things to show off, then its best to just compile all of those things for one big Direct, especially at "E3". I also really don't think we are going to go PAST June without getting Nintendo's line-up. I mean, we are almost in MAY and we have no idea what games Nintendo has in store besides Xenoblade Definitive. Sure, they could drop random trailers of games, but would they really shadowdrop a reveal of a new Paper Mario game? Or Super Mario Odyssey 2? That just doesn't really sound right for Nintendo. I still think a June Direct is still very likely, and since Zippo did get the February Direct stuff wrong, I do need to take his words with a bigger grain of salt.

D

Deleted member

Reading the last few posts, all I have to say is
>believing Zippo

if you are looking for new games to play, I have a few suggestions that you may but most likey will not like
I have plenty of games to play, and I do play them. I'm just moaning about Smash online because I've gone from seeing my friends and the larger Smash community at least once a week to seeing them never and playing only with randoms on Nintendo's shoddy netcode. Thanks for trying to help, though.

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you SCIENCE! Thanks to my man Serenade for bringing the picture to my attention, I needed a good way to kill 30 minutes.

Let’s look at that Sakurai pic.
View attachment 270621
First observation: this is either Battlefield or Big Battlefield, we actually can’t tell which.

Second: the camera is centered. My first task? Get the camera centered like that, and I found...
View attachment 270622
that it’s impossible with two characters! There must be more to get the camera in that position!
View attachment 270623
that’s better. Now Mario’s a little farther right than our mystery character, but the way I see it the character appears to be slightly taller than Mario! Therefore...
View attachment 270624
Luigi! Perfect! If the screenshot is from normal Battlefield, the character is about as tall as Luigi. But what if it’s Big Battlefield? Well, I’ll cut to the chase.
View attachment 270625
Captain Falcon, or average Smash human size. So if the shot is from Big Battlefield, the character is about average Smash human sized, possibly our ARMS character

Also it could just be someone we already have lol. But that’s no fun.

TLDR: If the shot is from Battlefield, the character is about as tall as Luigi. If it’s from Big Battlefield, they’re as tall as Captain Falcon
Know who else is about as tall as Luigi? ****ing Geno. We got him, boys, Sakurai delivered us salvation on a silver platter.

Obviously that's a little presumptuous, but it really does mean we know who it isn't. Spring Man, from the assist trophy at least, is a pretty tall guy. If he were to stand like Little Mac, all hunched over and ready for action, I still think he'd be taller than Luigi, mostly because of his ridiculous hair. Obviously, Waluigi would be taller than Luigi as well, so for the time being, I'm counting him out, too. I guess a total nut kick pick like Gooigi would fit the height profile...

Another question to wonder about - why Banjo? He's been out for some time, so I guess they could be testing some buffs/nerfs with him, but maybe there's more to it. He also happens to be just about as tall as Luigi, maybe it's a combination of his stats? He weighs as much as Snake and ROB, falls as fast as Incineroar, has a unique run speed that is faster than Cloud but slower than Ridley, and has one of the worst air speeds in the game, coming in just above Byleth and below Dr. Mario - a bit higher than Luigi's air speed, just to throw him back into the mix. It's a unique combination of attributes, if they wanted to use him as a baseline to make sure things were lining up with a given character.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The Mother stuff isn't just the book, according to the description of the video they have various Mother projects launching this year. If only there was SOMEONE in this thread who's been teasing the idea of something to do with Mother happening this year since around December? Who could that be I wonder?

As for the potential lack of an E3 direct, I...somewhat understand it I suppose? Alot harder to record and have meetings. Wondering what they actually plan to do instead though, hopefully it means sooner rather than later. Atleast we are almost 100% locked in with Smash in June?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Mother stuff isn't just the book, according to the description of the video they have various Mother projects launching this year. If only there was SOMEONE in this thread who's been teasing the idea of something to do with Mother happening this year since around December? Who could that be I wonder?

As for the potential lack of an E3 direct, I...somewhat understand it I suppose? Alot harder to record and have meetings. Wondering what they actually plan to do instead though, hopefully it means sooner rather than later. Atleast we are almost 100% locked in with Smash in June?
if anyone in this thread was teasing something to do with Mother I'm sure that he is a known fraud who only seeks attention and leads a cult that worships a doll possessed by a star being. It carrying any water whatsoever is entirely coincidental.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Woah. I feel like I should actually pay you for that response time. I didn't even know you were around.
Thanks! I'm pretty used to sleeping at ludicrously late hours, so it should come as no surprise in that regard. What's really wild is me having logged in to Smashboards right after you posted that. Quite a coincidence, huh?

Griselda

Smash Lord
Thanks! I'm pretty used to sleeping at ludicrously late hours, so it should come as no surprise in that regard. What's really wild is me having logged in to Smashboards right after you posted that. Quite a coincidence, huh?
Something something 'there are no coincidences' something something 'Geno confirmed'.

Or maybe I'm just in a lucky spot, at the moment. If I'm getting Geno-related wishes granted today.. I hope we get some sort of tangible Geno confirmation news soon. Like, tomorrow.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Wait a second...
View attachment 270601
I think we may know how the CacoMallow Post got out, assuming it's real.
Nintendo has just announced that the second DLC pack for LM3 is available now. What’s strange though is that it was originally planned for July, and to come out ahead of schedule by 3 months is strange.
What do you guys think? Do you think that, considering there were a lot of Nintendo announcements last week, this could have been one of them, supporting that there was originally supposed to be an April Direct? And if so, do you think we’ll get more of these announcements continued in May?
That , and the fact that the screen was exaaaactly cropped to not see the timer is suspicious. The thing is , did they already worked like that before , or was it only like that since they started working remotly ? Either way , when you let your employees download this kind of stuff , it's very easy for that kind of stuff to get leaked.
I don't believe that any secret characters are hidden below battlefield , however the fact that Banjo is P4 show that it's probably a development build (Or Sakurai is just flexing on us with his 4 shiny GC controllers) . And if that's the case , there's no way he would have shown off the ARMS rep/CP7 to that journalist and told him/her "Yeah , feel free to take a photo , but just , let me place this super duper secret DLC character on the ground of battlefield. Oh , and no leaking alright ? K thanks."

Tl;dr I think this picture really show a development build , and that the fact they cropped out exactly where the timer is is very suspicious. Granted , there might be different developments builds or they could toggle on and off stuff like timers. I'm saying this because the live presentation for DLC character seem to use developments builds from what I remember.
But there is now way in hell that Sakurai showed off the new DLC character to the journalist that took the picture , or Sakurai took the picture himself and cropped it in a specific way. Either way , even if we know the size of the character... It could still be anyone lol.

---

My best guess for that is that Next Level Games was done with developping the DLC. As I said before , it's litteraly 3 costumes and some mini games , it's not too time consuming.
However , they were indeed supposed to show it off in a potential E3 , but due to how uncertain the future is , they prefer to show it now. (And honestly , this July 31 date sound more like a deadline for DLC pack 2 , rather than a release date.)
With the huge Mario Maker 2 update , and the other Mario related announcements , I really believe that they have a decently big game planned for Mario this year.
As to a Smash character... Eh , they could go with Geno to add the most "die hard fan pick" in Smash , break the internet with Waluigi , give us both a fan favorite and promotion character with Paper Mario. (due to the rumors of a new PM game , and adding another Mario in Smash to celebrate Mario's anniversary sound like a Nintendo thing lol)
I know we have firm believers of King Boo in this thread (And I'll say it again , I love this character , he would be super fun to play as , finished the OG Luigi's Mansion 15 times) , but I don't think he make all that much sense from a promotion perspective. LM3 already sold super well (5,5 millions unit , it's in the top 10 best sellers of the Switch while being released only since 6 months) , and adding like 1 million more sales for promotion when you could revive a dead franchise (Like they did with ARMS) or give a huge popularity boost to a future new release (Because E3 or not , Nintendo will have games in the later half of 2020 , and not small ones.) doesn't sound worth it to me. They could do it , but it would be a weird move to me.
But hey , if we have King Boo , I have a character I like , so I wouldn't be complaining too much. And due to how weird Geno's situation is , we could have both to be honest. (Yeah people will complain "WHY 2 MEHRIO CARACTEKRS !!!!???!!!11!" , but people will complain for anything , and these 2 guys would bring stuff that's so different that it wouldn't matter imo.)

EDIT : Actually , now that I think about it , Hellen Gravely may be a better pick if they really want to promote LM3... Since she's the second main anatagonist alongside King Boo , and is the leader of all the ghosts of the hotels , so you could easily make her a "commander" character by calling her ghosts and stuff. Plus , she only appeared in LM3 , while King Boo appeared in all LM + Mario Kart + Paper Jam , ect...
Hellen Gravely.png
Granted I'm just throwing ideas out there , it's just weird that nobody mention her since she had such a major role in LM3 , and could represent the boss ghosts and how ghosts interact as ennemies in Luigi's Mansion games.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I'm still perplexed by the absence of LM3 content in Smash. It could very well mean nothing, but I'm starting to think it may actually lead to something even if it's just a Mii costume and/or very late spirit board. I absolutely love the LM games altho 2 was not as good, but I would love to see King Boo make it in. Helen could be cool too. I love the idea of summoner type characters since we don't really have that kind of character yet. Brawlfan1's King Boo moveset was really well done except the down special was too strong, so I think the character would be incredibly fun. I do think a levitating character would be difficult to balance and implement properly but that doesn't mean it can't be done and he's also very large so could just barely levitate or even be sunken into the floor slightly while walking/running.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Couldn't the glaring omission of LM3 spirits also be applied to MM2 even more after a recent happening? This isn't a repeat of what I said recently as IIRC Mario Maker legit just had an update from with it being the final one so I hope I'm not treading already trodden on ground. I'm not gonna mention anything that I've already mentioned without any real reason to so one of my previous posts would need to be referenced for that. The lack of them is weird but I'd argue MM2's lack of them is equally suspicious. Maybe there could be some kind of encompassing spirit board coming with a Mario character or something. Maybe not but who knows.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I guess it makes sense they’d not be able to do a June Direct in full. I do think we get something in June whether it’s just the Smash Presentation or not we’ll see.

Still excited regardless.

Also for the glory of Geno.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
https://twitter.com/Newmarkomaro/status/1255815841528139779

According Newmarkomaro

Next week we will know more in detail but to recap 1) What was planned for May and June is not happening
2) Shadow drop/Twitter/Youtube announcements incoming
3) DLC will be a heavy focus in the upcoming months, some will come sooner some will be delayed
4) Mario Q3&Q4
5) Small eShop games now with priority
6) Some retail games will be now eShop only titles (At least someone temporally)
7) New Colors, model are delayed to late 2020-TBA
8) Some games impacted, delayed to an uncertain 2021 (i bet that BOTW2 is one of them)
9) Already finished ports will cover empty months

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Dunno if ya'll seen this yet but, it seems that the prospects of no Nintendo Direct around June may in fact be a possibility. Wouldn't be a surprise though. Given LM 3's shadow dropped DLC the other day, it would seem that Nintendo's going to roll with more surprise announcements via twitter, and surprise video uploads on YouTube (mainly game trailers).

EDIT: *facepalm* Nevermind. Got ninja'd.

EDIT 2: Actually, the Super Mario Maker 2 update from a few days ago adds credibility to this potential future scenario of more Twitter/YouTube-based announcements. :nifty: That update was actually BIG news for SMM2.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Sabi is backing up Zippo. Also saying to keep expectations low for announcements that will be dropped *TODAY*. Oh dear.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

After ^this^ tweet, someone said "time to go investigate ResetEra" and Sabi just responded with "Zippo."

Edit: Didn't know threads would show the previous tweet, ree.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So, if there is no Direct in June, when will there be announcements for things again?
Apparently just random shadowdrops in May/June? Get ready to be spoiled on everything.

I'm literally not bothering going to Twitter except to keep open the NoA twitter. If I see anything, I plan to just be like "yo guys, go check NoA twitter" and I'll give a link. I hate spoilers man, shadowdrops suck.

Edit/FTR: I'm down for more news but MAN am I dreading that I've been waiting since JANUARY for news, it's about to be May, and Sabi tells me to keep expectations in check. Legit, this dread feels so bad and I'm scared it's gonna be an awful second half as well. I know cOrOnA and all, but the least we could all use is some good news about Mario's 35th or somethin'.

Last edited:

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
https://twitter.com/Newmarkomaro/status/1255815841528139779

According Newmarkomaro

Next week we will know more in detail but to recap 1) What was planned for May and June is not happening
2) Shadow drop/Twitter/Youtube announcements incoming
3) DLC will be a heavy focus in the upcoming months, some will come sooner some will be delayed
4) Mario Q3&Q4
5) Small eShop games now with priority
6) Some retail games will be now eShop only titles (At least someone temporally)
7) New Colors, model are delayed to late 2020-TBA
8) Some games impacted, delayed to an uncertain 2021 (i bet that BOTW2 is one of them)
9) Already finished ports will cover empty months
He directly confirms there was supposed to be a Mario event in June I believe. Idk about you guys but I can absolutely see that being a time and place for a Geno reveal

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Nothing is confirmed guys. All we know is that the LM dlc dropped early. If anything that's good news because they are ahead of schedule. A June direct is still very likely.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm a little skeptical of the claims that DLC that was planned for June won't be happening. Sakurai's recent column is saying the DLC is going on just fine with no major issues

T2by4

Smash Lord
Just a reminder that nintendo was shocked by how popular banjo's reveal was. Here's to hoping they actually payed attention this time to what the fans want and are willing to hook us up.

1587879207228.gif

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm a little skeptical of the claims that DLC that was planned for June won't be happening. Sakurai's recent column is saying the DLC is going on just fine with no major issues
Something can uncounted for can always occur. And Sakurai for what we know could just have underestimated how the "work at home" scenario would flow.

D

Deleted member

That , and the fact that the screen was exaaaactly cropped to not see the timer is suspicious. The thing is , did they already worked like that before , or was it only like that since they started working remotly ? Either way , when you let your employees download this kind of stuff , it's very easy for that kind of stuff to get leaked.
I don't believe that any secret characters are hidden below battlefield , however the fact that Banjo is P4 show that it's probably a development build (Or Sakurai is just flexing on us with his 4 shiny GC controllers) . And if that's the case , there's no way he would have shown off the ARMS rep/CP7 to that journalist and told him/her "Yeah , feel free to take a photo , but just , let me place this super duper secret DLC character on the ground of battlefield. Oh , and no leaking alright ? K thanks."

Tl;dr I think this picture really show a development build , and that the fact they cropped out exactly where the timer is is very suspicious. Granted , there might be different developments builds or they could toggle on and off stuff like timers. I'm saying this because the live presentation for DLC character seem to use developments builds from what I remember.
But there is now way in hell that Sakurai showed off the new DLC character to the journalist that took the picture , or Sakurai took the picture himself and cropped it in a specific way. Either way , even if we know the size of the character... It could still be anyone lol.

---

My best guess for that is that Next Level Games was done with developping the DLC. As I said before , it's litteraly 3 costumes and some mini games , it's not too time consuming.
However , they were indeed supposed to show it off in a potential E3 , but due to how uncertain the future is , they prefer to show it now. (And honestly , this July 31 date sound more like a deadline for DLC pack 2 , rather than a release date.)
With the huge Mario Maker 2 update , and the other Mario related announcements , I really believe that they have a decently big game planned for Mario this year.
As to a Smash character... Eh , they could go with Geno to add the most "die hard fan pick" in Smash , break the internet with Waluigi , give us both a fan favorite and promotion character with Paper Mario. (due to the rumors of a new PM game , and adding another Mario in Smash to celebrate Mario's anniversary sound like a Nintendo thing lol)
I know we have firm believers of King Boo in this thread (And I'll say it again , I love this character , he would be super fun to play as , finished the OG Luigi's Mansion 15 times) , but I don't think he make all that much sense from a promotion perspective. LM3 already sold super well (5,5 millions unit , it's in the top 10 best sellers of the Switch while being released only since 6 months) , and adding like 1 million more sales for promotion when you could revive a dead franchise (Like they did with ARMS) or give a huge popularity boost to a future new release (Because E3 or not , Nintendo will have games in the later half of 2020 , and not small ones.) doesn't sound worth it to me. They could do it , but it would be a weird move to me.
But hey , if we have King Boo , I have a character I like , so I wouldn't be complaining too much. And due to how weird Geno's situation is , we could have both to be honest. (Yeah people will complain "WHY 2 MEHRIO CARACTEKRS !!!!???!!!11!" , but people will complain for anything , and these 2 guys would bring stuff that's so different that it wouldn't matter imo.)

EDIT : Actually , now that I think about it , Hellen Gravely may be a better pick if they really want to promote LM3... Since she's the second main anatagonist alongside King Boo , and is the leader of all the ghosts of the hotels , so you could easily make her a "commander" character by calling her ghosts and stuff. Plus , she only appeared in LM3 , while King Boo appeared in all LM + Mario Kart + Paper Jam , ect...
Granted I'm just throwing ideas out there , it's just weird that nobody mention her since she had such a major role in LM3 , and could represent the boss ghosts and how ghosts interact as ennemies in Luigi's Mansion games.
I really don't think anyone from Famitsu has seen the full pictures - Sakurai most likely took those and cropped them himself, and sent them to the magazine to use.

Also
>giving sabi relevance
>believing zippo

break me off a piece of that kit kat bar.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Why would Nintendo have to cancel their E3 presentation when all the other gaming companies are going ahead with theirs? People are acting like Nintendo is somehow the only company affected by the virus. Not to mention Sakurai literally just came out with an article saying that working from home has caused no issues.

Don't believe every rumor you hear people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom