• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Is it that "generic" when it's taking bits and pieces from the fighters though?

I never said it would be, just that if we did end up getting a Hero-style character, that they wouldn't.

I mean, that's pretty presumptuous of you. I'm more than aware of the dive bomb not having an attack portion in ARMS (I did main her after all), but ARMS and Smash are completely different games and if the dive bomb didn't have some kind of splash attack at the end of it, I don't think it would translate as well in Smash. How would you even pull it off if it didn't attack at all? Just pressing down while in the air? It's quite a fast fall, to the point where I think it might even be overpowered (especially as what's likely to be the longest-range character in the game, even longer than Belmonts), and as a DAir, it wouldn't make sense without some kind of attack at the end of it (likely with a nerf to the speed to compensate; in the end it would be similar to Banjo-Kazooie's dive bomb). Anyway, that was also a way to "rep" RG in a Hero-style character and it was just an idea, not "oh this totally has to happen".
Yes, giving the ARMS rep a down B counter that's just a punch for most of them is generic. That's just about the most generic special move I can think of. And it wouldn't be an issue if they just added one character on its own.

On the second part, my bad, I thought that was what was being argued. Someone was saying that but I guess it wasn't you.

Third part- Sorry if I misjudged. I just thought that would be a really bizarre statement for someone who understands the game. The most natural fit would just be to have Ribbongirl have a really fast fastfall. It doesn't have to be a move. That combined with a bunch of extra jumps would make her a mobility based character like in ARMS and represent her properly. As far as that being a move for Springman and others, I think it would look pretty silly. Springman is not an aerial dive-bombing type character.

By the way, I broke the post up like this because I don't know how to split a quote like you did. Sorry if it's a little messy.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I may have used the "character-specific gimmick" in the wrong way.

The extended ARMS are going to be their "main" gimmick for Smash, but things like Ribbon-girls aerial game, Ninjara's movement, Min-min's dragon ARM/kicks, are not gimmicks but rather a part of their "character". You can't have Ninjara have meh movement, you can't have Min-min without Dragon arm, you can't have Ribbon-girl without excellent air mobility, at least if you want to represent them properly.

Saying that they can't have each of their respective playstyle/abilities in Smash, just because "extended ARMS is enough of a gimmick is just stupid". It's like saying Ryu shouldn't have hadoken variants because he already has button inputs, or Mega-man shouldn't have any close-up moves because range is his gimmick, or Kazooie should only be a visual part of Banjo's moveset because Banjo has wonderwing already. Sure they could technically make a moveset like that work, but is that what fans of THAT character want?

It'd be like making timed hits Geno's gimmick, and deciding that's all he needs to properly represent him. Then they decide to throw in Mallow as a Geno alt, and make Geno's move set so lackluster that it's not really Geno anymore. Sure the central gimmick behind a ARMS would be the ARMS, but each character is so much more then that.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I still don't understand why people think that the characters have to be translated perfectly into the game to be accurately represented in a 4-in-1 situation.
They don't have to be at all, given what Sakurai has done with characters like the MOTHER boys and Captain Falcon, and yet very few people complain about it. Even if the ARMS rep is a lone character, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Yes, giving the ARMS rep a down B counter that's just a punch for most of them is generic. That's just about the most generic special move I can think of. And it wouldn't be an issue if they just added one character on its own.
Okay then no counter. That likely means no kicks to deflect attacks either. Now the character is *less* representative if it's a Hero-style character (FTR: this is an assumption that the character will be Hero-style; if they're not, none of this matters).

On the second part, my bad, I thought that was what was being argued. Someone was saying that but I guess it wasn't you.
Dunno who it was, don't really care cuz I'm too lazy, but it's all good.

Third part- Sorry if I misjudged. I just thought that would be a really bizarre statement for someone who understands the game.
All good.

The most natural fit would just be to have Ribbongirl have a really fast fastfall. It doesn't have to be a move. That combined with a bunch of extra jumps would make her a mobility based character like in ARMS and represent her properly. As far as that being a move for Springman and others, I think it would look pretty silly. Springman is not an aerial dive-bombing type character.
Which would be totally fine, *IF* Ribbon Girl is a lone character. My entire post was, again, based on the assumption of the character being Hero-style. It's a completely different scenario if it's not. Also, this assumption doesn't mean "I 100% for sure think the character will be Hero-style", I was just entertaining the possibility with "well how could they rep each of the fighters when baked into one?". I, as well as everyone else here, have no idea who the fighter (or fighters) will end up being; I'm just adding my two cents while we continue to wait another 5~6 weeks.

By the way, I broke the post up like this because I don't know how to split a quote like you did. Sorry if it's a little messy.
S'all good, but I'll gladly teach you: Just highlight the part you want to quote, then hit reply (from the newly-created quote/reply button at the end of your highlighted text, not the reply/quote button by the Like button). Do it for each piece you want to. What I personally do is type my response before adding the next quote I want to respond to.
PS: The quote will always be added where your current text input is; the blinky thing in the text box, I forgot what it's called, lol.
PPS: You can use the +quote function instead, I'm just not a fan of it. I like responding to one thing at a time and don't like all the extra steps multi-quote requires.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
They don't have to be at all, given what Sakurai has done with characters like the MOTHER boys and Captain Falcon, and yet very few people complain about it. Even if the ARMS rep is a lone character, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Okay then no counter. That likely means no kicks to deflect attacks either. Now the character is *less* representative if it's a Hero-style character (FTR: this is an assumption that the character will be Hero-style; if they're not, none of this matters).

Dunno who it was, don't really care cuz I'm too lazy, but it's all good.

All good.

Which would be totally fine, *IF* Ribbon Girl is a lone character. My entire post was, again, based on the assumption of the character being Hero-style. It's a completely different scenario if it's not. Also, this assumption doesn't mean "I 100% for sure think the character will be Hero-style", I was just entertaining the possibility with "well how could they rep each of the fighters when baked into one?". I, as well as everyone else here, have no idea who the fighter (or fighters) will end up being; I'm just adding my two cents while we continue to wait another 5~6 weeks.

S'all good, but I'll gladly teach you: Just highlight the part you want to quote, then hit reply (from the newly-created quote/reply button at the end of your highlighted text, not the reply/quote button by the Like button). Do it for each piece you want to. What I personally do is type my response before adding the next quote I want to respond to.
PS: The quote will always be added where your current text input is; the blinky thing in the text box, I forgot what it's called, lol.
PPS: You can use the +quote function instead, I'm just not a fan of it. I like responding to one thing at a time and don't like all the extra steps multi-quote requires.
Thanks for the tips! I totally misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were saying these were reasons why the hero situation would work.

To clarify, I'm not saying the hero situation can't or won't happen. It could very well happen. My argument is that it would be a poor representation of the characters and it would be better to just add one and do it right.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
The main reason I want the Hero style for the ARMS character is so that the "Assists deconfirm" rule dies in a fire. However, Geno is a spirit, not an assist trophy, so you guys only care about getting an ARMS character that is a spirit. Meanwhile, I want Springman so that characters like Shovel Knight, Waluigi, and Isaac might have a decent chance (I think Waluigi will get in as a bonus regardless but still).

MattX20

Smash Hero
No matter what direction the ARMS character takes in terms of moveset, I think we can all agree that Geno's mechanic would likely be based on timed hits and be unique to him

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The main reason I want the Hero style for the ARMS character is so that the "Assists deconfirm" rule dies in a fire. However, Geno is a spirit, not an assist trophy, so you guys only care about getting an ARMS character that is a spirit. Meanwhile, I want Springman so that characters like Shovel Knight, Waluigi, and Isaac might have a decent chance (I think Waluigi will get in as a bonus regardless but still).
Why couldn't that work with just Springman?

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Why couldn't that work with just Springman?
It can but I highly doubt we'd have this speculation period regarding which character will get in, only for the posterboy and most standard character to get in without anyone else. I like Springman a lot but still, he's not as interesting as Master Mummy or Helix.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It can but I highly doubt we'd have this speculation period regarding which character will get in, only for the posterboy and most standard character to get in without anyone else. I like Springman a lot but still, he's not as interesting as Master Mummy or Helix.
I would argue that breaking the assist rule could be the reason for it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Assists aren't an actual "rule", so that alone wouldn't be why. It's not even a guideline as is. Sakurai just had a different plan.

He's, again, never spoke on AT's when it came to DLC. So that rule cannot really exist. It's a fan thing, and for that matter, Would Nintendo care about their current role? Is there a reason for them to? They might not even have a specific character in mind either. They're advertising it as "any of these guys" so they might've just let Sakurai pick. Could they have wanted a multi-costume character to show off as much of the game as possible? Maybe? Who knows.

Pretty much the one thing that's easy to think is likely is that they want a character that represents the franchise well. Whether they outright gave him a name, a list of names, or say "put them together" is not really easy to tell. We have nothing to go on. It might not be Spring Man at all. It might be someone like Dr. Coyle, one of the important characters in its storyline(there's really no "protagonist" in the game, from my understanding, so. She's not the mascot by any means, but if they're going for a main character storywise, that makes her the best option. And she doesn't have any issues representing the game well either. She has unique abilities, she has multiple arms to choose from). That's also what I like about the series. The core gameplay is changing up arms and having a character who can punch from a distance. The rest is character-defining, but definitely not on the same level as the core gameplay. So anyone "could" work well.

That said, if they did combine them, some of the abilities would be a lot more simplistic. The dragon arm does not sound interchangeable to me whatsoever. That might be gone if Min Min is playable. The teleport Ninjara has could be a unique sidestep dodge, but still exist among some unique taunts/victory screens. The important part is the animation has the same hurtboxes. Min Min's multiple kicks easily could work with anyone, to be honest. Same with the comeback mechanic and more than 2 jumps. These aren't hyper special in the terms of Smash as is. I feel Dr. Coyle's floating is actually a lot more specific and would be awkward on others. It's not like multiple kicks either. Some of the gimmicks they have aren't that odd to see an another do. Some are. It's mixed.

Either way, regardless of what they do, I feel they're be an interesting take as is. I also don't think popularity is going to be the deciding factor either. A main character(can be an antagonist too) or mascot feels the most plausible to me. I've looked more into it, and I had some ideas for who could be costumes, but it feels like only Ribbon Girl and Spring Man are close enough to having actual abilities that don't feel like the other couldn't possibly do. I mean, if you include Ninjara too, I guess. Springtron is a given either way, since he's a literal clone of Spring Man gameplay-wise. Though if Min Min were in, I could see her dragon arm being a palette swap difference or even taunts/victory screens. I expect all their core gimmicks to show up somewhere, if any kind of Hero situation happens.

I won't argue if it can represent them well or not. Cause that's a different point. I remain neutral on it myself as I couldn't really play the demo long enough to say too much. I'm going purely off of observation in some cases. I've seen the gameplay too. And talked with many. It's clearly subjective on if Alts should be done or not.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I just think that showing a bunch of ARMS characters during the mini direct and having only the main character get the playable spot would be kind of anti climatic. I would love it but I bet others would be dissapointed. Plus, ARMS doesn't necessarily have to be the series to break it as I think Waluigi has a decent shot regardless and there are other assists that can get promoted just based on popularity alone.

I'm just mostly waiting until June to see what happens. Not really super hyped yet but maybe that will change like how it changed before last E3 with the Banjo hints from Resetera.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I just think that showing a bunch of ARMS characters during the mini direct and having only the main character get the playable spot would be kind of anti climatic. I would love it but I bet others would be dissapointed. Plus, ARMS doesn't necessarily have to be the series to break it as I think Waluigi has a decent shot regardless and there are other assists that can get promoted just based on popularity alone.

I'm just mostly waiting until June to see what happens. Not really super hyped yet but maybe that will change like how it changed before last E3 with the Banjo hints from Resetera.
I can definitely get behind that argument, and I've used it myself. I just think Nintendo is rarely predictable and there is a reason why many would consider Springman unlikely or even impossible. I'm honestly going to be hyped no matter who it is, because any ARMS rep would be a contender for the most unique character on the roster, even if it's just Springman.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I totally misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were saying these were reasons why the hero situation would work.
Naaaah just entertaining the possibility and trying to fit representation in the Hero-esque character.

My argument is that it would be a poor representation of the characters and it would be better to just add one and do it right.
It might be repped less, but I feel like the end result would be more people happy in that we'd get both mascots and the favorite characters. Better than "oh good, it's just boring old Spring Man", because I'd be pretty disappointed by that, whereas if I got Ribbon Girl in as well, and people got Min-Min, overall, more people would be happier.

No matter what direction the ARMS character takes in terms of moveset, I think we can all agree that Geno's mechanic would likely be based on timed hits and be unique to him
Well yeah, it's not like Geno's in a position to be chosen or not over other SMRPG reps. Mallow and Smithy exist, but they're not nearly as popular picks.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
I just think that showing a bunch of ARMS characters during the mini direct and having only the main character get the playable spot would be kind of anti climatic. I would love it but I bet others would be dissapointed.
I can absolutely understand that it would be super disappointing based on how Nintendo has set this up, and I definitely wouldn't mind either considering Springy Boi is who I want to see the most, but if we take what Sakurai has said in the past about Nintendo choosing the characters as face value, then this is the company that was going to initially end the entirety of Smash Ultimate - one of the biggest crossovers in gaming history - with Byleth. I don't even hate Byleth and find them super fun to play as, but as an end to everything? THAT'S anti-climactic, and it seems Nintendo may have been absolutely a-okay with it. I could absolutely see Nintendo thinking that announcing that an assist trophy character is making the jump to playable status is a big enough payoff for the mystery.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I can absolutely understand that it would be super disappointing based on how Nintendo has set this up, and I definitely wouldn't mind either considering Springy Boi is who I want to see the most, but if we take what Sakurai has said in the past about Nintendo choosing the characters as face value, then this is the company that was going to initially end the entirety of Smash Ultimate - one of the biggest crossovers in gaming history - with Byleth. I don't even hate Byleth and find them super fun to play as, but as an end to everything? THAT'S anti-climactic, and it seems Nintendo may have been absolutely a-okay with it. I could absolutely see Nintendo thinking that announcing that an assist trophy character is making the jump to playable status is a big enough payoff for the mystery.
Yeah predicting Nintendo is like correctly predicting the winning lottery numbers, it ain't gonna happen.

Now that I think about it, something tells me lots of people are thinking it won't be Springman because of the assist thing and it would be too obvious. So Nintendo blindsiding lots of people by announcing JUST Springman would be a Nintendo thing to do. But I'm just gonna see what will happen.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not just that, but it would mean they chose not to release all Mii costumes from the previous game. If any were chosen for a Fighter's Pass 1 character, they need to negotiate with the original company to change who it comes with.

So the chances of them not giving everything back are honestly pretty high. They might've decided to do a second pass within a few months, sure. Or it could've been far later. We only know everything was decided by September 2019(I forget the exact date). They can be tonedeaf.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
We all have this mindset that Nintendo will surprise us... So we try to be smart and be a step ahead. But in the end , they still manage to surprise us , even with the most "simple" outcome.

So yeah , solo Spring Man isn't impossible.

All I'm going to say is that this reveal is such an unprecedent to all character reveal that the Smash community just don't know what to expect in the end.
(And thanksfully , the wait won't be too long , compared to the wait for the mini direct.)

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I remember Sakurai saying in an interview that Piranha Plant was intentionally added to get players used to the idea of non-all stars getting character slots. I could totally see anyone from ARMS getting in I don't think he has to be too attached to the idea of Springman specifically. I could totally see like Min Min or Max Brass or even Byte and Barq just casually get in on their own. Whatever the team wants to use.

Based on how an ARMS rep is the first choice I don't see this character pack being too promotion heavy (unless if ARMS 2 is around the corner then who knows lol) I could totally see this just being them adding 6 more that they want and then just ending it. I'm not getting my expectations too too high for a lot of 3rd party wishes but I think this is Geno's best shot based on what we know.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I remember Sakurai saying in an interview that Piranha Plant was intentionally added to get players used to the idea of non-all stars getting character slots. I could totally see anyone from ARMS getting in I don't think he has to be too attached to the idea of Springman specifically. I could totally see like Min Min or Max Brass or even Byte and Barq just casually get in on their own. Whatever the team wants to use.

Based on how an ARMS rep is the first choice I don't see this character pack being too promotion heavy (unless if ARMS 2 is around the corner then who knows lol) I could totally see this just being them adding 6 more that they want and then just ending it. I'm not getting my expectations too too high for a lot of 3rd party wishes but I think this is Geno's best shot based on what we know.
Only key thing to remember is Sakurai isn't the one choosing the character. Nintendo is. It doesn't mean he can't choose a particular one, but we have no real reason to believe in that. They value his opinion, but they're his boss. I wouldn't use the idea of what he prefers as the most likely possibility.

That, and with Nintendo, mascots/main story characters feel pretty important to represent the game, so that could be who they choose. The most popular via polls is not impossible either. Ones that are just your random member however? Nintendo has no reason to go after those.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Also, remember when Sakurai teased Ridley over and over again just for him to be stage boss back in Smash 4? This ARMS situation reminds me of it. People go on and on about how "there's no way Sakurai would hype it up only for it to be this underwhleming" and yet, what happened?

Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
You weren´t here when Byleth got revealed...
I remember arguing to multiple people back then about how Geno probably wouldn't come back as a mii, I feel like those were tough times for a lot of people, but as of now Ive seen these same people come into a more positive light. Thats kind of what I meant by the "even the ones that were negative or pessimistic" quote.

Also here's a few posts I made back then arguing with people, which I somewhat regret because I think it was unnecessary. Sorry about that.
Sorry for a long post, but I wanted to make predictions for 2020 and 2021.

Here are my thoughts/predictions for this upcoming year or so.
How did fighter 5 "break it" for CacoMallow?

You know it could come afterwards right? (As in it doesn't have to be revealed immediately?)

I mean, we got these screenshots in November, and the presentation was a prerecording from November, so for all we know they could come with the next character or the character after, which would make sense. Fatman was theorizing that fighter 5 was ready to present back in November, and on top of that, said it probably takes around a year for full development and planning in a post he made yesterday (and we got those rumored Mallow/Smithy mii costumes leaked in June/July of last year) so I wouldn't count the Cacomallow leak out/fake until mid to late 2020.

By this logic though, that means either fighter 6 or 7 will probably come with these costumes. A slim chance with fighter 8.

Here are my predictions on the release dates and more I made yesterday (Scroll to the bottom): https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...-fighters-pass-2-speculation.446378/page-2297

(and side note: Why would they add smithy and mallow out of nowhere if they weren't adding Geno? That just doesn't make sense to me, even if it were another Square Enix rep like Sora. And to me- it seems too convenient for it to be trolling every since we got Cacomallow. At first I was skeptical, but the minute that image leaked out, I figured it had a lot more credibility than I initially thought.)

+In Fatmanonice's essay, he was rumoring that DLC pack 2 was probably decided in November of 2018, of which talks of Geno and other characters happened that month. And if that isn't enough proof, the music takedowns happened over the summer, during that hypothetical "1 year" period. Im sticking with my theory and saying Geno is revealed E3 2020

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Well to be honest , characters like Krystal , Ashley and Isaac being sent in an AT made me so sad lol.

I also really want LoZ to get a new character , and it's sad that a lot of good candidates get AT'd.(Midna , Ghirahim , and Tingle even if he's no longer an AT)

I admit that I also lose my mind when people tell me that it's okay that Bomberman is an AT , when it's fricking Bomberman. (Granted , we got both Snake and the Belmonts in Ultimate , they couldn't give us more. I don't blame the development team , more so the people who tell me that Bomberman isn't a valid candidate for Smash because his AT show that "lol he can only bomb")

And I admit that seeing Saki Amamiya not even having his AT back was annoying , especially when we got Devil and Nightmare of all things. (Granted , Saki is a pretty complex AT)

---

It's less "we want a spirit" and more "if Spring Man isn't the character , then we have a safety net with 4 other candidates that are spirits , and highly popular in general". Myself , Spring Man is my prefered choice , and not because of those rules. I just find his design really colorful , and I tend to prefer the more straight forward characters in fighting game like these.
But with those "rules" , it's apparently impossible to like Spring Man except for : "yay , since he's an assist/mii costume/spirit , he will break fan-rules !" (Not directed at you or anyone in this thread , just a general trend Iv'e noticed.)

In the end , we could get a character that break those fanrules , but still no Geno , or heck , not a single more promotion afterwards.
And to be honest , with how messy Geno's situation is , I don't think they would even consider his spirit status if they wanted to give him something more for Smash (Be it a costume , AT , playable role , ect...)

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I still don't understand why people think that the characters have to be translated perfectly into the game to be accurately represented in a 4-in-1 situation. The core mechanic of arms is that the guys with slinky arms punch and grab each other from three city blocks away. That's all it takes to accurately represent any of the characters, playstyle be damned. We have four extremely popular characters, one of which is the true face of the game and another who is arguably the face of the game, plus the most popular male character and the most popular female character, all of which share the same body type. That's what it takes to be an echo fighter and that was good enough for Hero. Bowser Jr is even more of a stretch because the Koopalings have been presented to us in the past as having very obvious differences that carry over between games, such as Morton's extreme weight, but they were all wrapped up into the same character.

Characters are "accurate" to their games in a way that shows the spirit of the game more than the full accuracy of the gameplay. For instance, people love to talk about how Mega Man is extremely faithful to his games because he jumps and shoots and can shoot while walking, but they ignore the fact that he can't infinitely produce special weapons and shouldn't have Rush when the rest of his specials are based on Mega Man 2. Being too true to the way the character plays in their home game ends up making characters like Robin and Pichu. Imagine Little Mac losing his KO punch meter before it's even charged, just for getting hit, (alternatively, imagine him never losing it until he gets hit, even after it's used) or Joker being able to summon Arsene on command but only to change his magic attacks and never physically benefit him, or Young Link not being able to block fire attacks because his shield is flammable. Lest we forget, Inkling takes damage while in the water. People love to think about all the positive changes some characters would get from having better references or being more true to their game, but no one wants to admit that across the board a lot of characters would suffer for it. I think you get the idea.

Maybe I'm not giving ARMS enough credit when I say it, but to represent the game, just punch someone from across the room with fists that do different things. You don't have to vanish in a puff of smoke when you roll, or jump 4 times, or whatever else these people do individually.
I agree. This is particularly annoying to me in the context of Frisk because there are no shortage of ways to pay homage to UT and even Deltarune in a moveset yet people get so hung up over the fact that there's no way to accurately represent the gameplay of UT and the emphasis on passivity in Smash completely ignoring the fact that it's Smash and Smash literally couldn't care less and oh hey yeah Villager is here. I don't really think Frisk is happening or deserves a spot more than other characters but it's just that kind of baseless gatekeeping that is infuriating. Characters in Smash are odes to their series much more than accurate representations of them.

In order to represent Geno properly, he would use some of his spells as special moves and one as final smash, require some kind of Mana system, have the ability to use items on himself and allies out of an inventory, use variations of his few different weapons as all of his aerials and neutrals, be able to kill things in one hit with properly timed whirls, need additional button presses for every single attack in order to maximize damage, need additional button presses for every single enemy attack in order to take the least amount of damage, would not be able to shield without taking damage, refuse to fight Mario or Peach, oh and also perform combat in turns instead of real time, etc. Not many of those things seem plausible or possible in Smash.

Simply put, Smash is its own universe and characters do whatever works in the context of that universe. If Sakurai decides to let Min Min, Spring Man, and Ribbon Girl to all use Ninjara's teleport or all have 3 jumps like Ribbon Girl, etc sure people might complain, but it's not really going to change the fact that Smash can, has, and will continue to ignore important factors from a characters home game in order to work better in Smash or pay more homage to the home series despite inaccuracies. Beyond that, I still don't see what's stopping them from having fighters with customizable arms/movesets like Mii fighters. Even though they would be alts and not echos they could still just incorporate alt-based gameplay differences for this one character. There are so many things they could do that people aren't thinking of.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I came across this image online and it compiles literally everything in favor of Geno getting included as of right now. I'm feeling the same way towards Geno as I did Banjo. I just had a gut feeling Banjo was gonna join and something was telling me that FP1 was Banjo's time, and I feel the same way towards Geno for FP2. Geno has a really great shot and all it takes is this one image to prove that.

D

Deleted member

From the latest famitsu column, Sakurai brings us his work from home setup:

EWyWb4UUwAAVw-5.jpeg

That monitor looks kinda familiar...

I spoke about this at length on Discord but I figure I should bring some of it up here in this happy little thread. I'll probably catch a lot of hell for suggesting that there's anything useful in this picture, but really, I think there is. To quote myself from Discord earlier, what if the monitor here is actually basically a rental from work? Like, if you're working on a development build of a game, you need to know that the framerate is stable and stuff like that, so you need a quality monitor with a high refresh rate - the kind that can end up running like two hundred dollars. Not everyone who works on games is necessarily expected to have that kind of monitor at home, I wouldn't think.

So for instance, here in my office, we use the same monitors on every PC - it's just kind of what we buy. It wouldn't surprise me if the folks working on Smash from home were allowed to bring their whole work PC home with them - it may take a beefy machine to run software for working on the game, and they more than likely have important files there, too. If there was some way to really start to prove that this monitor and the cacomallow monitor are the same, we might really be onto something.

Another thing worth noting is that the timer is cropped out. The picture is definitely supposed to be focusing on that microphone, since it goes along with what Sakurai was talking about in the column, but there's little doubt in my mind that the picture was cropped very purposefully. Imagine if Sakurai had accidentally left the timer in with 2:30 proudly sitting up there.

Also, Banjo is 4P, you have to wonder who 1P is in this picture, huh? Banjo is definitely on the middle of the top platform on Battlefield... Maybe Big Battlefield, and whoever is below him with what seems to be a fixed camera, is only tall enough to have that much of the 1P sticking out above them. Wonder if it would be possible to recreate this scene with basically every character in the game and figure out who's too tall and who's too short for this to work? It'd either confirm who the character is, or if it's someone totally new, give us a height to expect from them. One has to wonder if it's the ARMS rep or someone after...

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

View attachment 270597

I spoke about this at length on Discord but I figure I should bring some of it up here in this happy little thread. I'll probably catch a lot of hell for suggesting that there's anything useful in this picture, but really, I think there is. To quote myself from Discord earlier, what if the monitor here is actually basically a rental from work? Like, if you're working on a development build of a game, you need to know that the framerate is stable and stuff like that, so you need a quality monitor with a high refresh rate - the kind that can end up running like two hundred dollars. Not everyone who works on games is necessarily expected to have that kind of monitor at home, I wouldn't think.

So for instance, here in my office, we use the same monitors on every PC - it's just kind of what we buy. It wouldn't surprise me if the folks working on Smash from home were allowed to bring their whole work PC home with them - it may take a beefy machine to run software for working on the game, and they more than likely have important files there, too. If there was some way to really start to prove that this monitor and the cacomallow monitor are the same, we might really be onto something.

Another thing worth noting is that the timer is cropped out. The picture is definitely supposed to be focusing on that microphone, since it goes along with what Sakurai was talking about in the column, but there's little doubt in my mind that the picture was cropped very purposefully. Imagine if Sakurai had accidentally left the timer in with 2:30 proudly sitting up there.

Also, Banjo is 4P, you have to wonder who 1P is in this picture, huh? Banjo is definitely on the middle of the top platform on Battlefield... Maybe Big Battlefield, and whoever is below him with what seems to be a fixed camera, is only tall enough to have that much of the 1P sticking out above them. Wonder if it would be possible to recreate this scene with basically every character in the game and figure out who's too tall and who's too short for this to work? It'd either confirm who the character is, or if it's someone totally new, give us a height to expect from them. One has to wonder if it's the ARMS rep or someone after...
This

This right here.

This **** is what I live for man. Let’s hyper analyze the **** out of this, cause if there’s one thing I think when I see that monitor, it’s CacoMallow real. And yeah, my first guess is that P1 is probably pretty short, but it’ll take some testing to be sure.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I came across this image online and it compiles literally everything in favor of Geno getting included as of right now. I'm feeling the same way towards Geno as I did Banjo. I just had a gut feeling Banjo was gonna join and something was telling me that FP1 was Banjo's time, and I feel the same way towards Geno for FP2. Geno has a really great shot and all it takes is this one image to prove that.
What is this...?
A PICTURE FOR ANTS?!

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Yeah... On their own , each argument might just be a coincidence , but there is so much stuff that it start to become extremely suspicious.

Tbh , the lacking mii costume and cacomallow are the 2 biggest things for me , on top of the song takedowns. While it's possible they could say "well a spirit is enough , no need for the costume"... I have the gut feeling that there is something more. With how good Nintendo and SE relationship are , I'm sure they could double dip at this point for DLC. They already have their 2 flagship franchises , and imo , while the other SE franchises bring interesting stuff , they aren't all that wanted. At this point , Geno would fit in so well as a DLC...

D

Deleted member

This

This right here.

This **** is what I live for man. Let’s hyper analyze the **** out of this, cause if there’s one thing I think when I see that monitor, it’s CacoMallow real. And yeah, my first guess is that P1 is probably pretty short, but it’ll take some testing to be sure.
Just doing my part to revive the speculation economy.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
What is this...?
A PICTURE FOR ANTS?!
It just goes to show how much evidence their is for Geno lol
Yeah... On their own , each argument might just be a coincidence , but there is so much stuff that it start to become extremely suspicious.

Tbh , the lacking mii costume and cacomallow are the 2 biggest things for me , on top of the song takedowns. While it's possible they could say "well a spirit is enough , no need for the costume"... I have the gut feeling that there is something more. With how good Nintendo and SE relationship are , I'm sure they could double dip at this point for DLC. They already have their 2 flagship franchises , and imo , while the other SE franchises bring interesting stuff , they aren't all that wanted. At this point , Geno would fit in so well as a DLC...
That is basically where I am at right now. Obviously, no character is guaranteed but I really do think the stars are aligning and I do think he has a great shot.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 270597

So what you’re telling me is...
SAKURAI WAS THE LEAKER THE WHOLE TIME?!?!
Also, Malo Mart Malo Mart is typing...

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I would love if after Geno got announced, during his fighter overview presentation a toad from SMRPG would come up and explain Geno’s timed hits in Smash, like he does at the beginning of SMRPG.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
But seriously, do you have a bigger version of this?
Unfortunately I don't. I didn't make this so I can't really get a bigger version. You might just need to open the image in a new tab and zoom in to read the words. That was what I had to do and I read it just fine.
Do you think "THE STARS" are allining, don't you?
The Seven Stars to be exact ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom