• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

MattX20

Smash Hero
Something can uncounted for can always occur. And Sakurai for what we know could just have underestimated how the "work at home" scenario would flow.
Even so, DLC is nowhere near as time consuming as doing a full game like Sakurai mentioned in his recent column. Plus, even if we don't get a Direct, I refuse to believe that they don't have the next two character reveals more or less ready to go.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Even so, DLC is nowhere near as time consuming as doing a full game like Sakurai mentioned in his recent column. Plus, even if we don't get a Direct, I refuse to believe that they don't have the next two character reveals more or less ready to go.
Still, if you read in the article, they are still trying to work this "work from home" order out.

To quote the article linked above

"Nintendo is not unique in its struggles to adapt to a work-from-home model. That’s especially true in Japan, where a number of companies were not prepared for this kind of shift. And even weeks after Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe enacted a state-of-emergency, corporations in the country are still trying to catch up. It turns out that you can’t remold Japanese business culture in a handful of weeks."

This could easily be applied to the Smash DLC too. Especially if Sakurai wants it to be as secretive as humanly possible.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
>giving sabi relevance
>believing zippo

break me off a piece of that kit kat bar.
Is it weird that I said those two lines to the tune of the commercial?

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1255870801686872071

Could still get representation of the ARMS rep in June.
It would be odd AF if we didn't get it in June (or May?), given that they said June in the March direct and Sakurai has said DLC dev has been going well.

ARMS rep is 100% still in June regardless because Sakurai literally told us there is no delay like yesterday.
Yeah, this.

Yeah, at least a name drop. DLC 7 will still happen by June; DLC 8 is 100% up in the air at this point. I give it a ~50-50, though maybe 60-40 in favor of being shown.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Still, if you read in the article, they are still trying to work this "work from home" order out.

To quote the article linked above

"Nintendo is not unique in its struggles to adapt to a work-from-home model. That’s especially true in Japan, where a number of companies were not prepared for this kind of shift. And even weeks after Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe enacted a state-of-emergency, corporations in the country are still trying to catch up. It turns out that you can’t remold Japanese business culture in a handful of weeks."

This could easily be applied to the Smash DLC too. Especially if Sakurai wants it to be as secretive as humanly possible.
No. Forgive me if I trust Sakurai more than this random website that doesn't cite any sources and pedals unconfirmed rumors. He said just this week that there is no delay. That is final. What makes people trust this random article so much that they assume Sakurai lied about no delay?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
No. Forgive me if I trust Sakurai more than this random website that doesn't cite any sources and pedals unconfirmed rumors. He said just this week that there is no delay. That is final. What makes people trust this random article so much that they assume Sakurai lied about no delay?
Like I said before. Sakurai could have misjudged the scenario. Everyone misjudges a situation more than once in their life time. And there is a difference between misjudge and lying

To qoute the article again

Add that with Sakurai wanting to be as secretive as possible... and the odds that the next character reveals could be delayed is rather possible.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Since their is a 50\50 chance we may not get a Direct in June, I wanna know what you think about this idea: Do you think its possible that in the Sakurai Presents live stream in June, since I do believe the ARMS rep won't get delayed, that its possible Sakurai may just reveal CP7 in that live stream? I mean, the past reveals have been announced in weird ways so I can definitely see Sakurai doing something like this if no Direct is planned to happen. And if he is close to finishing CP7 like most rumors suggest, then why not show that off in the ARMS Presentation? I could see that happening.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since their is a 50\50 chance we may not get a Direct in June, I wanna know what you think about this idea: Do you think its possible that in the Sakurai Presents live stream in June, since I do believe the ARMS rep won't get delayed, that its possible Sakurai may just reveal CP7 in that live stream? I mean, the past reveals have been announced in weird ways so I can definitely see Sakurai doing something like this if no Direct is planned to happen. And if he is close to finishing CP7 like most rumors suggest, then why not show that off in the ARMS Presentation? I could see that happening.
I personally expect just the ARMS rep. FP7 I think might be delayed until July or August.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Like I said before. Sakurai could have misjudged the scenario. Everyone misjudges a situation more than once in their life time. And there is a difference between misjudge and lying

To qoute the article again

Add that with Sakurai wanting to be as secretive as possible... and the odds that the next character reveals could be delayed is rather possible.
Yeah, repeating your previous argument does nothing. I read the article too. My point is that this article has no proof. You put it as Sakurai being "secretive" but if he says there is no delay when there really is then that's a straight up lie. You're calling Sakurai a liar based on an article with no source for it's claim. And your "underestimating the difficulty" argument is ridiculous. The article from Sakurai literally came out yesterday. Why would this website have access to more current information about Smash development than Sakurai himself? There is no argument to be made here.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I expect ARMS in June. The rest is up in the air. A presentation isn't the same as a full direct. Though we may just have another presentation for August and then November somewhat shadowdrop like Byleth's did. Where they tell us the date some days ahead of time.

I don't think we'll have to wait into 2021 for Challenger Pack 8, really. The latest it could come is mayyyyyybe December due to delays. IMO, obviously.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah, repeating your previous argument does nothing. I read the article too. My point is that this article has no proof. You put it as Sakurai being "secretive" but if he says there is no delay when there really is then that's a straight up lie. You're calling Sakurai a liar based on an article with no source for it's claim. And your "underestimating" argument is ridiculous. The article from Sakurai literally came out yesterday. Why would this website have access to more current information about Smash development than Sakurai himself? There is no argument to be made here.
If a column last night, then I missed it. And no, I never called him a liar. I called him someone that misjudge the situation... and anyone can easily write/say something based on its misjudgment

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I personally expect just the ARMS rep. FP7 I think might be delayed until July or August.
That could be possible, but Sakurai is definitely the type of person to surprise us. I could totally see him after the presentation go like, "I really hope you enjoy the ARMS rep. Now, I actually have one more thing that I have not got the chance to show you, so please take a look" and then he teases us with CP7. I do think its possible if we don't get a Direct, while also hyping the audience up.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I expect ARMS in June. The rest is up in the air. A presentation isn't the same as a full direct. Though we may just have another presentation for August and then November somewhat shadowdrop like Byleth's did. Where they tell us the date some days ahead of time.

I don't think we'll have to wait into 2021 for Challenger Pack 8, really. The latest it could come is mayyyyyybe December due to delays. IMO, obviously.
I'm literally at a loss for words. Sakurai says there's no delay, some random website says there is, and everyone believes the website over Sakurai? Are y'all just trying to be pessimistic? Literally yesterday Sakurai said there is no delay in the dlc. That is fact. Venturebeat cannot simply overturn that.

Droodle

Smash Lord
If we're talking about character reveal trailers, I would say ARMS has a 50%/50% chance of getting a full CGI trailer. I'm pretty sure they're outsourced, but it just depends on how much they worked on the trailers beforehand. I don't know who is responsible for making the trailers itself, but Japan's animation industry is in chaos right now. I doubt that the cgi reveals are worked as far in advance as an actual character due to secrecy.

If we're talking about character 7 getting a trailer, probably not if it gets unless it's extremely short/shoddy.

I would still expect ARMS and Character 7 to be revealed in the Sakurai presentation in June. Character 7 can go 2 ways, they reveal the full character or tease the character kind of like ARMS; I wouldn't expect to get a release date for character 7 though. If we still get a September direct, they may end up saving the CGI reveal for that.

Right now we don't know how close Character 7 is to finishing . We know that ARMS took longer then usual due to mechanics, but we don't know how far along Character 7 was in development. They usually work on 3 characters at a time, but they still prioritize the one coming up next first. We can still (likely) expect a character 7 reveal (at worst it'll be like the Terry gameplay in Banjo direct, or just an ARMS-like reveal with the series if they can do it), but I wouldn't expect a proper release date. I think it'll probably come out September or October though.

Or they might just reveal character 7 on twitter, who knows?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm literally at a loss for words. Sakurai says there's no delay, some random website says there is, and everyone believes the website over Sakurai? Are y'all just trying to be pessimistic? Literally yesterday Sakurai said there is no delay in the dlc. That is fact. Venturebeat cannot simply overturn that.
We are living in unprecedented times. Even if this rumored article about no June direct was never published, and we still had the column, it still for the best to have in mind that something could happen. We all talk about how the COVID could never be the reason that the mini direct were delayed, and look at what happens. They downright mentioned COVID and gave us all a heads up on how future projects could be delayed.

They might be on track now, but there can always happen something. Hell, the worst-case scenario could happen and Sakurai gets the COVID virus himself. We shouldn¨t go with the mindset of "next character is gonna happen because they said June about Arms...

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If a column last night, then I missed it. And no, I never called him a liar. I called him someone that misjudge the situation... and anyone can easily write/say something based on its misjudgment
Sakurai column

Here's the article you missed.
Also, you said maybe he was just being secretive. That's what I took as him lying. Sorry if I misjudged.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You aren't reading what's being said.

There is no actual evidence that we're getting another Challenger Pack announcement immediately within the June Presentation. Nor is it a delay to have the characters come out months after each other. We aren't getting two characters at once as is. Whether or not he announces Challenger Pack 7 in June's presentation or later, there is no "delays". If there's even a slight one, it won't affect it much. December is a reasonable time to expect Challenger Pack 8 out by either way at the latest. Getting 3 done a year is a reasonable thing to expect, giving them a lot of time to do what's needed.

So I'm not sure what you're responding to, cause I already believed this to be the case anyway. It has nothing to do with the new article about other Directs being delayed/gone for a while. It just furthers confirms my thoughts, but isn't the reason for it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You aren't reading what's being said.

There is no actual evidence that we're getting another Challenger Pack announcement immediately within the June Presentation. Nor is it a delay to have the characters come out months after each other. We aren't getting two characters at once as is. Whether or not he announces Challenger Pack 7 in June's presentation or later, there is no "delays". If there's even a slight one, it won't affect it much. December is a reasonable time to expect Challenger Pack 8 out by either way at the latest. Getting 3 done a year is a reasonable thing to expect, giving them a lot of time to do what's needed.

So I'm not sure what you're responding to, cause I already believed this to be the case anyway. It has nothing to do with the new article about other Directs being delayed/gone for a while. It just furthers confirms my thoughts, but isn't the reason for it.
I mean, first off they did 6 last year so no, 3 this year is not reasonable at all. Second, you said 8 might come out in December due to delays. That's what I was responding to there.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Also, you said maybe he was just being secretive. That's what I took as him lying. Sorry if I misjudged.
Just because he wants to be secretive (which I think is pretty clear) does not mean that he can´t write "I believe we are on track" if he believes that they will be, even if he misses something in the equation, be it, put up the security, the problem with communication or some staff is getting sick. That¨s what I was trying to say

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
So while Nintendo is supposedly not gonna do a presentation,
Microsoft has no troubles doing a showcase. *sigh*

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, first off they did 6 last year so no, 3 this year is not reasonable at all. Second, you said 8 might come out in December due to delays. That's what I was responding to there.
They did 5 Challenger Packs. Piranha Plant was started on by at least September. They took more than 1 year to finish and release all of them. So that's not accurate either.

I don't see any reason to rush them when they have 2 years entirely. I don't believe we're getting more than 3 this year. It's taken literally 6 months to come out with ARMS as is. Two more after that is rather reasonable within the timeframe given.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don't see any reason to rush them when they have 2 years entirely. I don't believe we're getting more than 3 this year. It's taken literally 6 months to come out with ARMS as is. Two more after that is rather reasonable within the timeframe given.
I¨m with you. With them having December of next year as their end date, I don¨t see why they would feel the need "rush along"

T2by4

Smash Lord
It's not fair bros...

Screenshot_20200430-092449_PicsArt.jpg

Polarthief

Smash Lord
The more times I hear/see "Series X", I just hear/see "sex" more and more (I mean, saying "series x" out loud literally sounds like "serie-sex").

In all seriousness, it's gonna be a sad day if Nintendo folds on a June Direct when Microsoft's doing a May one.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It really begs the question of how things are going to work without Directs or livestreams. Smash wise, I guess we're going back to 2007 where Nintendo just casually drops Sonic out of nowhere. That's kind of cool because spontaneity is something that's been missing from a vast majority of character announcements for over a decade. Christ, imagine... Geno basically gets revealed in a similar fashion to how he would have been revealed in 2007/2008 after all this time.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
It really begs the question of how things are going to work without Directs or livestreams. Smash wise, I guess we're going back to 2007 where Nintendo just casually drops Sonic out of nowhere. That's kind of cool because spontaneity is something that's been missing from a vast majority character of character announcements for over a decade. Christ, imagine... Geno basically gets revealed in a similar fashion to how he would have been revealed in 2007/2008 after all this time.
I'd hope we don't have to wait until July/August to find out if FP7 is Geno.

D

Deleted member

It really begs the question of how things are going to work without Directs or livestreams. Smash wise, I guess we're going back to 2007 where Nintendo just casually drops Sonic out of nowhere. That's kind of cool because spontaneity is something that's been missing from a vast majority character of character announcements for over a decade. Christ, imagine... Geno basically gets revealed in a similar fashion to how he would have been revealed in 2007/2008 after all this time.
I honestly hope for that outcome. No announcement, no waiting for a direct, just one evening at about 10:15 PM Nintendo hops on Twitter and says "here's Geno, hope it was worth the wait."

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
As long as Geno makes it as a legit fighter in some way, that's all that matters to me. As they say, "a small price to pay for salvation Geno."

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I did only skim the article, but to me, it gave off the vibe of:
Nintendo is Telling its Developers No June Direct
Sources: Dude trust me

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Just because Nintendo isn't having any direct doesn't mean they have no products to sell. We're still probably getting new releases this year, they're probably just going to be announced on their own time.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Until we see proof of this that the June Direct isn't happening, I'm going to be skeptical over these claims

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Why would Nintendo have to cancel their E3 presentation when all the other gaming companies are going ahead with theirs? People are acting like Nintendo is somehow the only company affected by the virus. Not to mention Sakurai literally just came out with an article saying that working from home has caused no issues.

Don't believe every rumor you hear people.
Dude the thing is this: Nintendo Doesn't has idea of the size of the virus, if zippo is right, THEY HAVE JUST START THE DIRECT, they can't talk with 3rd parties of Indies, they only have their own trailers

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
If the rumors about an even lower presentation budget are true, that means we could get a Sakurai house tour for Sakurai presents lol.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I did only skim the article, but to me, it gave off the vibe of:
Nintendo is Telling its Developers No June Direct
Sources: Dude trust me
Until we see proof of this that the June Direct isn't happening, I'm going to be skeptical over these claims
Exactly both of these. I want to see where they got this from before I trust it. They can't just state this as fact and not have a source. I know it's easier to assume the worst and avoid getting hurt, but it's too early to give up!

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I really hope we can find out some way the relative size or type of monitor it is to see if the leak is real, though to me it looks like a generic monitor anyone would use. Either way, im already liking where this is going.
From the latest famitsu column, Sakurai brings us his work from home setup:

View attachment 270597

That monitor looks kinda familiar...

I spoke about this at length on Discord but I figure I should bring some of it up here in this happy little thread. I'll probably catch a lot of hell for suggesting that there's anything useful in this picture, but really, I think there is. To quote myself from Discord earlier, what if the monitor here is actually basically a rental from work? Like, if you're working on a development build of a game, you need to know that the framerate is stable and stuff like that, so you need a quality monitor with a high refresh rate - the kind that can end up running like two hundred dollars. Not everyone who works on games is necessarily expected to have that kind of monitor at home, I wouldn't think.

So for instance, here in my office, we use the same monitors on every PC - it's just kind of what we buy. It wouldn't surprise me if the folks working on Smash from home were allowed to bring their whole work PC home with them - it may take a beefy machine to run software for working on the game, and they more than likely have important files there, too. If there was some way to really start to prove that this monitor and the cacomallow monitor are the same, we might really be onto something.

Another thing worth noting is that the timer is cropped out. The picture is definitely supposed to be focusing on that microphone, since it goes along with what Sakurai was talking about in the column, but there's little doubt in my mind that the picture was cropped very purposefully. Imagine if Sakurai had accidentally left the timer in with 2:30 proudly sitting up there.

Also, Banjo is 4P, you have to wonder who 1P is in this picture, huh? Banjo is definitely on the middle of the top platform on Battlefield... Maybe Big Battlefield, and whoever is below him with what seems to be a fixed camera, is only tall enough to have that much of the 1P sticking out above them. Wonder if it would be possible to recreate this scene with basically every character in the game and figure out who's too tall and who's too short for this to work? It'd either confirm who the character is, or if it's someone totally new, give us a height to expect from them. One has to wonder if it's the ARMS rep or someone after...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom