• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
And I was initially dissapointed until i thought of spirit trophy upgrade implications.
Inb4 it's none of the 5 that are Spirits.

But if we are getting two shill picks at the row, Who isn¨t to say that this pack will just contain shill picks
THAT'S WHAT I'M TERRIFIED ABOUT. INB4 URSHIFU FOR #7!

Here are the 15 characters potential of being challenger 6.
10 of them aren't spirits, so there's only a 33% chance of breaking the stupid fanrule that people keep counting Geno out because of.

Also I can't wait for it to be one of those 5 and people continue to move the goalpost for him.

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
Even if it isn't the AT Springman, the most important Arms characters are already spirits and I doubt they'd go for the lesser characters to represent a new franchise. They wouldn't hold back on the main characters just because they are PNGs. The original thought why spirits would deconfirm was that there was no intention to include this character as playable, now with Arms getting repped when before that they had not enough time it shows that they already changed their mind about it. If the Assist Trophy rule isn't broken I think the "Spirits deconfirm" rule has a high probability of getting broken now.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Has Smash ever not added the main character from a series first? And Springman is considered the main character right? Now of course, they could be revealing an Arms 2 in June and maybe that has a new main character that they want to promote using Smash.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
However, if I am willing to make any claim of who Sakurai could be looking at as an ARMS character, it could be Helix or Kid Cobra. Which any ARMS characters that is not from this list would actually only enforce the fact that Spirits might be set in stone to only appearing as Spirits.
Not necessarily. He could just as well be choosing a non-spirit character to promote something new being added to ARMS. Given the placement of the free trial ad, it wouldn't surprise me if they were using this to promote something new, not just preexisting material. When focusing on something new, preexisting material not being used is kind of an obvious marketing choice, nothing to do with the fact that Spring-Man and the like are already spirits (therefore 'barring them entry').

It does tell me that they're setting off a tone with this pass like the last, however... with a first party (from a series people demanded to see represented with a playable rep, no less). This pass being lower budget and focusing more on fan-beloved Nintendo properties would make sense. It'd be a huge shot in the heart for most third parties, but thankfully for Geno, he's from the Mario series. He could be an exception to this.

Back into lurking land I go. Make of this what you will.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1243187293600411655 Also, Sakurai stated that this was a production request by Nintendo, probably much like Byleth. He might not have even been given an opportunity to choose a spirited character in the first place.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Well this is a welcoming surprise! The fact we did not get told "who" it is makes me think it could be a Bowser Jr situation as others have mentioned.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Currently Arms has Five Spirits, an Assist Trophy, and two Mii Fighter costumes.

View attachment 267086

Now out of these, I think Spring Man, Twintelle, and Min Min all have extremely likely odds of being thrown in. Personally, Spring Man would be so great as he would shatter every fan rule imaginable.

However, if I am willing to make any claim of who Sakurai could be looking at as an ARMS character, it could be Helix or Kid Cobra. Which any ARMS characters that is not from this list would actually only enforce the fact that Spirits might be set in stone to only appearing as Spirits. But let's hope we hear something soon!

We'll know our fate soon enough.
If we’re being realistic it’s more than likely going to be either Spring Man, Ribbon Girl or Min Min. I have only played a demo of the game but I know that those are the most popular characters by far and the ones with the biggest likelihood of getting in. If it’s Spring Man then ATs don’t deconfirm. If it’s the other two spirits officially don’t deconfirmed. Either way this is a good thing imo

D

Deleted member

An ARMS rep eh? We getting a fighter from an already existing game! Which is closer than Byleth from an unrepresentative game 3 houses! I feel that Springman or Ribbongirl will be added since they feel like mascots or I think Twintelle and Ninjara for their popularity. We might be one step away from promoting a fighter breaking the assist trophy/spirit deconfirm for Geno Also, if there is only one Nintendo rep, RIP Waluigi then.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Personally i hope it ends up being Min-Min. Shes pretty much the only one i actively want plus shes a spirit so it would mean well for Geno. However with how fast the announcement was i think it would have been better if they saved any smash info for a june direct since this wasnt very "hype" itf that makes sense. Like i was working on some school stuff and randomly checked twitter and got spoiled. Its weird how they announced something so big like this in a sudden mini direct.

link2702

Smash Champion
Not exactly thrilled for an arms character, and kinda bummed the first announcement wasn’t geno(not just cuz we’ve been waiting desperately now for this limbo we’re trapped in to be over, but also cuz him being such a huge fan favorite would be a great way to drive hype for pass 2 ) but like others said, it pretty much breaks most of the “rules” fans came up with. Which only makes genos chances better.

The only real question is; who is it? Ribbon girl or the evil women with the hair are the only two I can think of that’d be popular enough and recognized enough to bother putting in.

It seems like Nintendo wants to force arms to be everywhere since they were hoping it’d be the next splatoon, when it never reached those numbers, they decided to push it into smash now i guess.

Oh well, good for arms fans, but good for everyone else to. Shantae fans, Geno, waluigi (if it is spring man they’ll REALLY have broken all the “rules” ), this announcement is good for a lot of us.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
And Springman is considered the main character right?
Kind of; he is on the box, but I'd argue Ribbon Girl is just as important as him, though I believe most people like Min Min and Twintelle more. The hardcore crowd (back when I played) were all Min Min, but a ton of people really like Twintelle as a character, so... hopefully it's either of them? Hoping for TT or RG myself, granted they kept saying "extended arms" over and over, so does that count out Twintelle since she uses her hair?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Whereas I couldn't care less about ARMS, this is nothing but good news for us Genoids. This fighter will most likely kill a massive fan-made nonsense theory and for the first time would make Geno being next a real possibility.

Lowkey it somewhat gives me some Isaac hope as well, though not a bunch.

This is a good day. Mostly a terrible direct but at least they branded it a mini which means the June direct should be incredible

Heoj

Smash Ace
So... what are everyone's thoughts on Cacamallow now? If it was not dead before, it sure feels dead now.

Never say never with Nintendo. People said that we would only get third party before Byleth, and for what we know, they could just go first party with this. Hell, weren¨t people calling Three Houses to new when Astral Chain got spirits all the sudden?

But if we are getting two shill picks at the row, Who isn¨t to say that this pack will just contain shill picks. Sure, there was an outcry for Arms, but I would not call them on the same level as Geno, Majora, Isaac, Waluigi, etc. And I doubt we are getting a Waluigi game or a new Golden Sun. I hate to say this, with Arms being the first one arriving, I could easily see Urushifu or someone else from Gen8 now next.
This literally means nothing for cacomallow. The main idea here is that Doomguy doesnt need to be playable for the costumes to be real.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Whereas I couldn't care less about ARMS, this is nothing but good news for us Genoids. This fighter will most likely kill a massive fan-made nonsense theory and for the first time would make Geno being next a real possibility.
While also pushing the goalpost either. Inb4 "DOLLS DECONFIRM".

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If we’re being realistic it’s more than likely going to be either Spring Man, Ribbon Girl or Min Min. I have only played a demo of the game but I know that those are the most popular characters by far and the ones with the biggest likelihood of getting in. If it’s Spring Man then ATs don’t deconfirm. If it’s the other two spirits officially don’t deconfirmed. Either way this is a good thing imo
Twintelle was super popular when she was revealed. But so was Helix (mainly because he was goofy af)

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Hmmmm, I am glad Nintendo has at least shown us something, I appreciate that. With the current circumstances the world is in, this is appreciated.

For Smash wise, I am not sure what to think. I feel like we may be making "assumptions" that the ARMS character will be from the current game ... but I am getting a feeling that the ARMS rep will be for a sequel or something ... Like in June they will release a trailer for ARMS 2 and the fighter is from ARMS 2. That would not help at all for promotions.

Again, I appreciate Nintendo is trying to prop any other of their IPs, but I have a bad feeling it's going to be another promotional pick like Corrin (Smash 4) and Byleth (Ultimate) where this ARMS Fighter is going to be for a new game.

Also, Cacodemon is not dead, it's still in the same position.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If anything, the confirmation of an ARMS character for Smash is a good thing, especially if it turns out to be Min Min. It only strengthens Geno's chances

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Hmmmm, I am glad Nintendo has at least shown us something, I appreciate that. With the current circumstances the world is in, this is appreciated.

For Smash wise, I am not sure what to think. I feel like we may be making "assumptions" that the ARMS character will be from the current game ... but I am getting a feeling that the ARMS rep will be for a sequel or something ... Like in June they will release a trailer for ARMS 2 and the fighter is from ARMS 2. That would not help at all for promotions.

Again, I appreciate Nintendo is trying to prop any other of their IPs, but I have a bad feeling it's going to be another promotional pick like Corrin (Smash 4) and Byleth (Ultimate) where this ARMS Fighter is going to be for a new game.

Also, Cacodemon is not dead, it's still in the same position.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It's going to be a new character from Arms 2, which won't be revealed until June. Otherwise, why not show who it is now?

If that is indeed the case, then man we got a long wait until any substantial news regarding Geno.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Not only would it not help for promotions, but people might be even more pissed than Byleth because that's like the shilliest (along with silliest) thing you can do to make sure everyone is just extremely unhappy about the pick. No, they can't possibly be that dumb, can they? Announce ARMS 2 if you want, but please pick a rep that people actually would like to see.

If anything, the confirmation of an ARMS character for Smash is a good thing, especially if it turns out to be Min Min. It only strengthens Geno's chances
(or Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, or Ninjara)

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
As disappointed as I am that it is an ARMS rep, we have to now collectively support Springman as he would pave the way for Geno's inclusion. If it is anyone that isn't a spirit or AT we may be in trouble.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
"Users : 63 , Guests : 97"

Damn , a lot of people are watching over Star Road today.

But yeah , they'll probably put Spring Man as base , and add others characters as alts , like Hero.
The thing that interest me is that Nintendo requested it , and that the way they say it , to me , just scream that they'll do a love letter to ARMS , not just one character. Also , interesting to know that Sakurai didn't added an ARMS character before due to balancing reasons. Hence why the AT probably , but Nintendo just said "lol no , do it , we know you can".

In any case , as Ovaltine said :
It does tell me that they're setting off a tone with this pass like the last, however... with a first party (from a series people demanded to see represented with a playable rep, no less). This pass being lower budget and focusing more on fan-beloved Nintendo properties would make sense. It'd be a huge shot in the heart for most third parties, but thankfully for Geno, he's from the Mario series. He could be an exception to this.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1243187293600411655 Also, Sakurai stated that this was a production request by Nintendo, probably much like Byleth. He might not have even been given an opportunity to choose a spirited character in the first place.
To me , it's a really good sign for Geno. Out of all SE rep , he's still the easier one to negotiate on paper :
SE own the character and music directly , no others party involved like with the DQ music. And Yoko would be on board to do remixes.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
So that was, hm, an interesting way to reveal a Smash character (or character series I guess). I can't say I'm disappointed, I'm just very whelmed with that info RN. Feel pretty much the same way I did after Isabelle lol. Hope it's a spirited character or even Springman so we can break some fan rules. A bit of an odd way to start off the first pass but whatever, at least it's not another complete let down like Byleth lmao

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
So... what are everyone's thoughts on Cacamallow now? If it was not dead before, it sure feels dead now.
We don't even know the mii costumes this ARMS character will come with - they could just as easily drop a Cacodemon mii hat and call it a day. They did after all drop a mini-direct without warning, I'd say anything can happen.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Wait, isn't E3 cancelled?
Yes, but I'd be willing to bet Nintendo (and everyone else) will still be doing a June/"would-have-been-E3" direct. I mean it was only just cancelled and we now have proof of more news coming in June with this ARMS reveal, so when else would be a good time to reveal/release it?

Also totally thinking they're not gonna do a double-reveal in June this year, unless you count this ARMS rep and #7. I don't see #8 also coming and instead we'll be getting this pattern of 1 per direct/3 per year.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So the leaker was right after all. Kind of a meh direct. Extra content in Xenoblade was great, but they didn't actually announce any new 1st party games. We've got some 3rd parties coming up, but Ninty's 1st party count is still at zero.

Arms fighter huh? They should have just announced the dang character. This was on par with Isabel as the least hype way to announce a character. Which is a shame, because an Arms character sounds really cool, and I'd probably be filled with hype if they actually showed anything.

I think it's definitely not Springman, because he's the obvious one. They wouldn't bother with the secrecy if it was just going to be the main character. It's like if in smash 4 they went "we're adding a Xenoblade Chronicles character but we're not telling you which one lmao" it's obviously the main character.

My guess is Ribbon girl or Min Min. Which would break the whole "spirits deconfirm" fan rule. This is nothing but good news for us!

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Unless, that ARMS 2 Fighter would be Spring Man with a different look from his Assist Trophy form, if you don't mind me saying.

Or the "June Direct that takes place when E3 always was".
Oh, okay then.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Genos fans right after hearing that it's ARMS rep VS Geno fans 2 minutes later discussing who it could be upon realizing that an ARMS rep may help our cause

Attachments

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I personally hope they pick Min Min.
She's more capable than Spring Man, she can actually kick, and deflect incoming projectiles while doing so.
And she can also shoot laser beams through her dragon arm cannon.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, but it's likely there'll be a big direct at around that timeframe.
Yes, but I'd be willing to bet Nintendo (and everyone else) will still be doing a June/"would-have-been-E3" direct. I mean it was only just cancelled and we now have proof of more news coming in June with this ARMS reveal, so when else would be a good time to reveal/release it?

Also totally thinking they're not gonna do a double-reveal in June this year, unless you count this ARMS rep and #7. I don't see #8 also coming and instead we'll be getting this pattern of 1 per direct/3 per year.
Uh, yeah, I knew that. I just wanted to make sure the other guy I quoted did not forget about E3 being cancelled. Since E3's cancellation, I have been expecting a June Direct from Nintendo. So don't get me wrong.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty pleased with an Arms rep personally, I think we're going to get 4 unique costumes representing 4 of the Arms characters and it seems obvious to me, hell we might even get 8 if we're in an insane timeline. I think this was a solid choice, I prefer first party representation, and if Springman does indeed become the main costume/playable rep here then we're in for a wild ride for the remaining characters as most fan made rules are shattered.

This is a good thing for Geno fans depending how this shakes out, and a great thing regardless for fans of first party characters like me.

The rest of the mini direct was ok, nothing to write home about. I'm just happy we got any news at all about anything.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Idk never played arms, but the characters seem like they all function similarly enough from videos that it could be a DQ Hero/ Bowser Jr type situation with multiple alts.

I do kind of feel what they’ve shown may kill any theories on estimated development time. They already had model to work with(assuming it’s the main guy), so You would think that regardless of how the virus is affecting things in the past 2 months they’d have more to at least to show for the character reveal. However, it’s possible working with a 3rd party company right now posed too many risks/challenges so characters could have been moved around?

As for how this news may affect Geno fans I do feel as if it’s too early to tell. It’s not like they confirmed we’re getting Spring-man right? May not even be a promotion as some have pointed out.

Either way, at this point Nintendo still hasn’t convinced me I should pay for a season 2 pass early.

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Hey Nintendo... I wanna play a little game.

From this day onward, every week we go without a Direct, I will spell out a new letter from a specific word on your unrelated tweet.
The clock is ticking. You wouldn't want to offend anyone, would you?

View attachment 267065
(this is a joke btw I'm not gonna actually do it)
Hehe, got em. >:)

Also this is weird to me, didn't Sakurai say Fighter 6 was ready to be presented? And now he's saying it was just recently requested by the higher ups?

domriver

Smash Lord
Well - under the current world circumstances this direct - was good. Some info.
On a personal note - not my pick ARMS rep. I touched the game once and lost interest.
Congrats to those who wanted an ARMS rep. Seems like a diss to XenoChronicles in my opinion and we gotta wait till June? Ouch. Oh well.
:) Heres hoping for Geno to be unveiled this year! :))))))))

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I'm trying to be optimistic, but the fact that they're waiting until June gives me the sinking feeling that they're holding out for an ARMS 2/ARMS 2 smash rep double reveal. I really don't have high hopes for this outcome. I want to believe it's spring man or one of the spirit characters, but if that's the case, why not reveal it now? It just doesn't add up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom