• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
What a horribly deflating announcement.

Starting to lose faith in there being anything worthwhile in Pass 2. That supposed "drunk online shopping" comment seems especially ludicrous now.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Hehe, got em. >:)

Also this is weird to me, didn't Sakurai say Fighter 6 was ready to be presented? And now he's saying it was just recently requested by the higher ups?
I guess you can say he got a request from a... Higher authority.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
So I wonder if an ARMS character is the exception or the rule. In other words, is ARMS the First Party Character for the 2nd Pass in the way Byleth was for the 1st? Or does this imply that there will be more 1st Party characters coming? It will be interesting if the ARMS being the first announcement was done to get a Nintendo character out of the way, or to set a precedence for the rest of the Pass

To kinda keep things on topic with the thread, what makes Geno interesting is that no matter which way the Fighter Pass swings, he still has a good shot regardless since he is a bit of an overlap of 3rd and 1st parties

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
YEah ... the more I think about this it's going to be an ARMS 2 rep. That doesn't contribute to promoted fighters.

I was really hoping Nintendo would do something as big as Joker was for the first face of the wave ... but it seems like it's going to be an advertising pick. If that is the case, that's a shame.

I also want to add I have nothing against ARMS or their fans at all, I love how they did something unique with that game. But for Smash speculation and discussion, that's not nearly as exciting as the prospects of a promoted fighter of ANY mii costume/AT/or Spirit.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Is Nintendo going to show anything else soon sometime after now? I know we just got a Direct Mini, but we still have yet to see Nintendo's first party line up. I doubt it would be a good idea to wait until June, but I have doubts about a Direct coming sooner like early next month as well, despite regular Directs usually coming soon after Direct Minis (and Indies Directs).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
THAT'S WHAT I'M TERRIFIED ABOUT. INB4 URSHIFU FOR #7!
I would not be surprised.. Like Loliko YnT Loliko YnT said in a previous post. This could easily just be a pass where they have chosen based on "leftover money". And if they had only leftover money to go on, what stops Nintendo to go in and add a little extra for the sake of promotion. I mean... what does a commercial about that you can play Arms for free right on cue after the reveal scream if not shill pick? Wouldn¨t even be surprised if we are getting an announcement for Arms 2 in June at this point when Nintendo is okay doing two shill picks back to back concidering they could only announce from what franchise but not specific character.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Alright, something just dawned on me about this ARMS fighter.

Remember when people were trying to figure out what the deal was with the Bayonetta glitch? Could she had been used as a base for ARMS!? Here me out...This fighter is GOING to be a Bowser Jr approach. "But, the fighters in ARMS have different arms to fight with. How could that work?"

Well...you can customize your fighter with different arms...WAIT! This makes me think of the arguments with Byleth long ago. "It would be another sword fighter!" Well, we did get Byleth...with different weapons for a direction. I am willing to bet ARMS fighter is gonna have different arms for Smash attacks AND Specials! Thus, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle and other's will all be fighter 6! Thus obliterating every fan rule in one go! Thus, Geno in Smash!

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Watch: Fighter 6 is gonna be Spring Man but it'll be his new design from an Arms sequel so he doesn't count as deconfirming spirits or ATs because excuses

Heoj

Smash Ace
Alright, something just dawned on me about this ARMS fighter.

Remember when people were trying to figure out what the deal was with the Bayonetta glitch? Could she had been used as a base for ARMS!? Here me out...This fighter is GOING to be a Bowser Jr approach. "But, the fighters in ARMS have different arms to fight with. How could that work?"

Well...you can customize your fighter with different arms...WAIT! This makes me think of the arguments with Byleth long ago. "It would be another sword fighter!" Well, we did get Byleth...with different weapons for a direction. I am willing to bet ARMS fighter is gonna have different arms for Smash attacks AND Specials! Thus, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle and other's will all be fighter 6! Thus obliterating every fan rule in one go! Thus, Geno in Smash!
I mean, i hope its min-min cuz i like her and shes a spirit, but i REALLY hope it isnt a bowser junior/hero type of character since that just takes way more development time. I feel like since they went out of the way to tell us that we are getting an arms character i think it will only be one.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I would not be surprised.. Like Loliko YnT Loliko YnT said in a previous post. This could easily just be a pass where they have chosen based on "leftover money". And if they had only leftover money to go on, what stops Nintendo to go in and add a little extra for the sake of promotion. I mean... what does a commercial about that you can play Arms for free right on cue after the reveal scream if not shill pick? Wouldn¨t even be surprised if we are getting an announcement for Arms 2 in June at this point when Nintendo is okay doing two shill picks back to back concidering they could only announce from what franchise but not specific character.
But it's like, if FP2 is intended to be "TRULY EXTRA" characters (wasn't that what Sakurai said in the Byleth video?), why pick characters people didn't ask for? If you go with an ARMS 2 rep, that's worse than Byleth. Urshifu also worse than Byleth at this point. Byleth at least isn't some new character that no one knows about, they're at least a main character of the base game; now I feel extra dirty for having to defend BYLETH of all characters, ugh.

But yeah, them not announcing the character is what's really scary because this could absolutely happen, ffs.

Or, and this is a crazy idea, but what if they add Spring Man, but also Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, and Min-Min? Like they add a handful of ARMS characters for one pack, and they're all echoes of each other with like one thing changed about them, such as Roy and Chrom being his echo despite having a different UpB? I think that'd be really cool, but I doubt they'd give us that many characters for the same price as one.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Oh god i hope this doesnt end up being an arms 2 character cuz that would be bad news for geno

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
What a horribly deflating announcement.

Starting to lose faith in there being anything worthwhile in Pass 2. That supposed "drunk online shopping" comment seems especially ludicrous now.
Don't people historically make poor decisions when drunken shopping? It might prove true after all.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Watch: Fighter 6 is gonna be Spring Man but it'll be his new design from an Arms sequel so he doesn't count as deconfirming spirits or ATs because excuses
Heh! I was just thinking that and kinda said that in a previous post on this topic.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
M8 it’s literally one fighter calm down.
Back to back shill picks, with the latter one having more time spent on hocking the game the character comes from then going over Smash.

"The next Smash character is from ARMS we'll tell you more about that in a few months lol anyway ARMS EVERYBODY, GO PLAY IT FOR FREE! ARMS!"

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
On one hand, an Arms character kills the “no already-represented worlds” argument.

On the other hand, if it isn’t Spring Man or one of the spirit characters despite arguably being the best ones to use for a playable character, I’m gonna be worried.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Is Nintendo going to show anything else soon sometime after now? I know we just got a Direct Mini, but we still have yet to see Nintendo's first party line up. I doubt it would be a good idea to wait until June, but I have doubts about a Direct coming sooner like early next month as well, despite regular Directs usually coming soon after Direct Minis (and Indies Directs).
Concidering that they downright stated that everything might be delayed due to covid19, the earliest we will see something more is June with the "who is the Arms character"

But it's like, if FP2 is intended to be "TRULY EXTRA" characters (wasn't that what Sakurai said in the Byleth video?), why pick characters people didn't ask for? If you go with an ARMS 2 rep, that's worse than Byleth. Urshifu also worse than Byleth at this point. Byleth at least isn't some new character that no one knows about, they're at least a main character of the base game; now I feel extra dirty for having to defend BYLETH of all characters, ugh.
I just listened to it. He did not say anything about it being "truly extra". The only one I believe has said that is Fatman.

Last edited:

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
One thing I should add:
Every Assist Trophy has a spirit. That means if Springman gets in it would break two rules at once.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if a buy the theory that the 2nd Pass is leftover money. Smash is one of the best selling Switch games and the high sales of FP1 is what made them make another in the first place. I haven't seen anything from Sakurai that would imply the 2nd Pass has a smaller budget. All we know was that this a Nintendo made request similar to Byleth

I'm not brushing off the idea 100% but it's also worth taking to account that this a Mini Direct with more mild announcements. I don't know if it would be the place to showcase a huge character for the 2nd pass in the same way the Game Awards did for the 1st Pass. An ARMS character fits a Direct like this

Also consider, that they aren't dropping the character till June, which makes me think they could group it with a more bigger reveal to push the 2nd Pass more even if the first character is pretty mellow

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't care if Waluigi isn't the first promotion in Fighters Pass 2, if he was even chosen to begin with that is.
Just please let it be Min Min and not Spring Man, because no offense to any fan of him, but imho he's the most generic character in ARMS.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Ultimately I fail to legitimately see why everyone's freaking out over ARMS getting a character. I do wonder who it could be and while ARMS 2 Might be a thing, ARMS came out like what, 2 years ago at most? I highly doubt nintendo would greenlight another ARMS game, especially since they both seem to try to keep it one multiplayer game per franchise a console generation and ARMS wasn't nearly as big a hit as Splatoon was. In all this does lead to an interesting idea for the debate of character selection, where if say, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Ninjara, Twintelle or Springman gets in being confirmation of Spirit or Assist Trophy Rules not applying for future fighters. If we get someone like Helix, Mechanica, Max Brass, Lola Pop, or Dr. Coyle it could mean flat deconfirmation of Spirits/Assist Trophies not meaning anything, but if they are one of the first set then it will confirm them meaning nothing.

This entire thing is either gonna make a ton more characters a lot more likely or a lot less likely.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Holy mother of freak, people! I just logged in here to find that an ARMS character was announced for fighter #6??!!! Gotta say......I'm pretty disappointed. I expected FP2 to start with a bang, but THIS is what we get? While the prospect of an AT or spirit upgrade is interesting, I'm not sure if this is gonna sell me on the rest of the FP without knowing what's inside. Is ARMS 2 is coming (which, I didn't watch the direct yet so I don't know) does that mean we got ourselves an entire pass of shills to look forward to? Can't say I'm too enthused with the prospect. Also, if #6 isn't Crash, for the record, whose credibility does that wreck just so I know who NOT to listen to?

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
The reveal of an Arms character certainly throws my prediction for a loop. If the DLC fighter is Spring Man, people are going to see it as a waste of an AT promotion.

I’m guessing Ribbon Girl. E3 will be the official reveal, with the release being immediately after the Direct. Then a bunch of new games. Then they’ll end with the reveal of 7–hoping for Geno, but I’m gonna bet Crash Bandicoot. Releases in Fall 2020.

Fall 2020 shows off Crash as a fighter, with the end revealing Geno as 8. He makes more sense to me as an E3 reveal, but knowing that we won’t get 6 until E3 at the earliest throws everything out of whack.

Winter 2020 is when Geno’s officially released. Lots of fanfare, everyone’s happy. Next reveal is for Spring 2021–Lloyd Irving. Finally.

Spring 2021 comes and goes. No preveal for any new fighters this time around, because E3’s coming up.

E3 2021 comes and starts off without the DLC fighter. Games are revealed. End of the Direct happens: it’s the Doom Slayer. Isabelle is very prevalent.

Final DLC character is revealed in fall 2021, to be released at the end of the year. It’s kept a secret just like Byleth. However, unlike By, this one is an absolute show stopper. It’s the swan song, and it needs to be reflected. The Master Chief finishes the fight. Everyone dies.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
3 actually. He's also a Mii Costume. If Spring Man got upgraded, it could be good news for characters like Rex too
If it is Spring Man from ARMS and there isn't a ARMS 2 ... then I would be very relieved. Though ... I got this feeling its' going to be from a new game.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I think the fact they outright told us it's an ARMS character while showing us a number of ARMS characters gives me hope it'll be a Bowser Jr. scenario of multiple fighters in one - which would break the assist trophy and spirits arguments altogether.

So yeah, nothing but good things for Geno if that is the case.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Okay stop with the "ARMS 2" character crap. They literally showed a screen of all the ARMS characters in the first one. It's obviously going to be one of them. No ARMS 2 has even been announced.

This is also not a shill pick in any way. Arms came out years ago. Of course they put out a demo for the game after the character was announced. People are going to want to get familiar with the source material. It would be stupid not to. I swear, literally any 1st party character that has had a game since the GameCube is a "shill pick" to you people. Calm down.

Heoj

Smash Ace
While the thought of it being min-min is hype, this definitely isnt enough to make me buy the pass, so imma wait for the full reveal and fp7

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
If its an arms 2 character then it wont break the spirits rule
That would be a net neutral situation for Geno not “bad”.

Back to back shill picks, with the latter one having more time spent on hocking the game the character comes from then going over Smash.

"The next Smash character is from ARMS we'll tell you more about that in a few months lol anyway ARMS EVERYBODY, GO PLAY IT FOR FREE! ARMS!"
How is an ARMS character a “shill” pick? The game came out in 2017 lol It’s a completely different situation than Byleth. Is every first party character people dislike just going to be called a shill pick now? I’m not hyped over this but come on now.

So the first part of DLC of Pokemon Sw/Sh is releasing in June... Urushifu is truly getting in, won¨t he -_-
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1243199889158426626
lmao you guys are losing your **** over the most neutral things. Even if the new legendary was a rep who gives a **** in terms of how it affects Geno? The entire second pass isn’t going to be completely first party “shill” characters after FP1s mostly third party characters raked in enough money for Nintendo to agree to a second wave of dlc in the first place.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
How is an ARMS character a “shill” pick? The game came out in 2017 lol It’s a completely different situation than Byleth. Is every first party character people dislike just going to be called a shill pick now? I’m not hyped over this but come on now.
People don't understand the difference between an "advertisement character" and characters from a major Nintendo IP that just happen to be new. An ARMS character is no more of a shill pick than Shulk in Smash 4.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
While I do feel like this is build up to more ARMS related stuff, I doubt it is a new character. They showed the original 15, and the demo is a no brainer for a 2017 game.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
While my point about "leftover money" still stand ( It's been one year and a half since Ultimate release , people still following Smash news are Nintendo fans and Smash fans, and less the general crowd) I doubt it'll be shill pick galore.
Due to the complicated current times we're having , Spring Man might have not been supposed to be Fighter 6 for all we know. Or maybe they didn't cared much about the order of things.

Now , I want to explain why I'm so confident in Spring Man :

ARMS is an arena fighter. And ARMS is focused on it's core gameplay , like any game like this. Now , ARMS main gameplay is pretty peculiar , and every character show how they all approach these mechanics. However , you need a character to explain these wild mechanics , hence why poster boy/girl are needed.
Not all fighting games have attacks with such high range and commitements , so you need your straightforward character that rely on the core basics on the game to teach you everything. However , these characters focus on fundamentals , and reflect perfectly the level of knowledge someone has on the game.

In the context of ARMS , the game , Spring Man may feel generic. But in the context of Smash , he absolutely isn't. His design is simple , but nobody can punch you from accross half of Final Destination from what I'm aware of. This is a pretty wild design choice , and is already very hard to balance , Sakurai said it himself. Give him too much range and not enough recovery frames , and he is busted , give him too many recovery frames , and every move he do is more commital than Ganondorf's up-tilt.
So , if instead of Spring Man , you pick someone else from the franchise , you have to respect the base core gameplay , on top of how this specific character approach this core fighting style. This would make balancing a nightmare... And would make people think that "yeah , that's how every character approach the fighting in this game" while it's not. It wouldn't represent the core of the Fighting style of ARMS.

"But he's an Assist Trophy , and a spirit , too !"

Well , Nintendo asked for an ARMS rep , and I doubt they bothered about that detail. An assist trophy is a a singular item out of like 60 , wich has a 1,5% of summoning the character you want. This isn't a traditional assist from a 3vs3 Fighting game , it's a funny item to provoke some chaos.
Furthermore , Chrom. Also , to show an example from a different game : Android 17 from FighterZ. Android 17 was a core part of Android 18 moveset , he represent almost all of her special moves. Remove 17 , and 18 pretty much has one super , one kienzan , and some okay normals. And despise that , Bandai Namco still decided to add Android 17 as a stand alone character.

"But they would prefer to pick a fan-favorite from ARMS , like Twintelle !"

I already addressed this point before , but : Sakurai can take some liberties , and add those fan-favorites as alts. (Also , for proportions issues : Morton is supposed to be 3 times bigger than Bower Jr. , yet he's the same size as Junior in Smash. He can tweak the height of characters , and he can find a solution for Twintelle.)

"But they could announce the main character of ARMS 2 instead !"

Yes , we could get a sequel. However , the core gameplay will remain the same , they will just build on top of it , making it even more complex. So you still need Spring Man to teach the basics to new and returning players. Yes , they will expend on the cast. And they could add ARMS 2 characters as alts ! (One of the biggest reasons I think we don't have more details)

"But the main character of ARMS 2 could be someone else !"

But why ? Why kick Spring Man out , and design someone else that will litteraly do the same job as him ? It would be like removing Ryu from Street Fighter 2 , and adding "Mr. Karate man" , that will do the same things as Ryu , but with a new design just to shake things up and nothing else , when they already established Ryu's name !

"But ARMS Flopped ! They might want to reboot some characters !"

ARMS didn't flopped. It sold more than 2 millions units , and for a new franchise , that's fantastic. The reason everyone think this : It released a week before Splatoon 2 , and got no updates. It wasn't because the characters were bland. It's because Nintendo made a fighting game focused on it's core gameplay , and didn't bothered to support it like they did with Splatoon and Smash.

D

Deleted member

Well, holy ****. Today has been a bold example of "there are no rules", at least as far as directs go. No announcement, out of the blue, and the most unceremonious Smash announcement I've ever seen. Simultaneously exciting for the possibilities and absolutely underwhelming because ARMS was not fun from what I played and I honestly thought it was considered a flop. It sold 2 million something copies but at the time of its release it was one of the only games on the Switch, right there with Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2... I just don't see it getting a sequel. A fighter from a three year old game just isn't shill pick territory.

Consider if it's Spring Man in any form, even if he's bundled with 3 or 7 other alternate character costumes like Bowser Jr. or Hero: this guy is a spirit, an assist trophy, and a mii costume. If he makes it to fighter, every fan theory gets kicked out of a window. It's funny, since I keep saying Spring Man got robbed... I never wanted him, and now that sympathy is coming back to bite me in the ass. But, given what he would mean for speculation, I want him as a fighter in some form. Damn Smash speculation, making me find reasons to want characters I don't want...

Just as a bit of theorycrafting, Sakurai made a comment in this column that a fighter is never turned down due to a lack of gameplay ideas. I have repeatedly called Spring Man ranged Little Mac and used that as a justification for him being thrown into snowglobe hell , but maybe that's not the case? Obviously characters like Isaac have incredible moveset potential, so something else goes into making a character an assist trophy. Wonder what would go into the decision to upgrade one... Is it really for the fans? All ten ARMS fans?

So... what are everyone's thoughts on Cacamallow now? If it was not dead before, it sure feels dead now.
I think it's worth mentioning that with Byleth, the first Nintendo rep in the DLC, we got a costume from a game that has no fighter and no representation in Smash at all with Altair, and Doom Eternal is still TBA for the Switch. I think it's still in limbo.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
That would be a net neutral situation for Geno not “bad”.

It¨s more of a potential of being advertisement character because of this. They announced that you can play it from the free right on cue and they did not go into specific on who it was, which would be later for about three months... right around the corner where an announcement for a sequel could potentially be announced... I mean, it was about 2 years between Splatoon 1 & 2 and its three years since the first game came out. I mean.. Why push Arms now all the sudden, if not for a new game coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom