• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's because Dreams is only on Playstation. A direct competitor.
Yeah but I still think if Dreams was on the Switch they would still remove games with their IPs in it since it's literally the fans making their own Nintendo games. To Nintendo, that is money going down the drain since a portion of the crowd would be like "We can make our own Nintendo games so we don't need to buy other games for our Switch anymore."

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Yeah but I still think if Dreams was on the Switch they would still remove games with their IPs in it since it's literally the fans making their own Nintendo games. To Nintendo, that is money going down the drain since a portion of the crowd would be like "We can make our own Nintendo games so we don't need to buy other games for our Switch anymore."
Maybe it's because it's a game platform.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Okay... so now they can go after Nintendo related creations in Dreams, but not Super Smash Flash? Sorry, but if they are able to do this, then they should be able to take down Flash too (not that I want to, but you get the idea)
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3575...ams-creations-that-use-nintendo-ip-at-the-req
Well , I think it's because Sony is not only a direct competitor , but also because you have to pay to get access to Dreams. So they see it as Sony allowing their userbase to create games with whatever IP they want.

On the other hand , Flash is still in the realm of parodies , and all sprites are original from what I recall. (Mario and Luigi sprites aren't taken from Superstar Saga , as an example) Furthermore , it's completely free.

However , are Nintendo decisions toward that kind of stuff ****ty ? Absolutely.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
On the other hand , Flash is still in the realm of parodies , and all sprites are original from what I recall. (Mario and Luigi sprites aren't taken from Superstar Saga , as an example) Furthermore , it's completely free.
And Let¨s plays and reviews are seen under fair use, and we all know how they handled YT for a LONG time.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
PC is technically a direct competitor too. And they are known to kill off fangames on PC left and right
They could kill smash flash if they wanted too. It’s not a “parody” so it’s not protected under that logic.

First off going after fans directly is a bit of a double edged sword for any major company. Yea Nintendo does it, but doing it too much puts them in a bad light. Smash Flash survives probably because Nintendo doesn’t really see themselves developing a 2D smash bros game so they look the other way.

As people mentioned, it’s more likely that Nintendo realizes they need to nip this in the bud early before higher quality creations start appearing on dreams. Its not that they can’t go after smash flash, they just don’t.

What I notice with fan games being taken down:
- They either offer the same Or near quality as whatever Nintendo is pushing out currently.
-Include a novel idea that Nintendo didn’t think of themselves
- Becomes a notable mod for a game they’ve created
- Offers features in game that are beyond anything they’ve done.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
They could kill smash flash if they wanted too. It’s not a “parody” so it’s not protected under that logic.

First off going after fans directly is a bit of a double edged sword for any major company. Yea Nintendo does it, but doing it too much puts them in a bad light. Smash Flash survives probably because Nintendo doesn’t really see themselves developing a 2D smash bros game so they look the other way.

As people mentioned, it’s more likely that Nintendo realizes they need to nip this in the bud early before higher quality creations start appearing on dreams. Its not that they can’t go after smash flash, they just don’t.

- They either offer the same Or near quality as whatever Nintendo is pushing out currently.
Another thing is that Media Molecule is starting to consider being able to profit from creations in Dreams, which will open Pandora's Box for many IPs. I wonder if there are any Geno models in Dreams?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I wonder, if Geno is in Smash Bros. Ultimate, what would be his most powerful move? (aside from possibly Geno Whirl, of course)?

Also, if there is a Direct next week, what day do you guys think it will be announced?

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I wonder, if Geno is in Smash Bros. Ultimate, what would be his most powerful move? (aside from possibly Geno Whirl, of course)?

Also, if there is a Direct next week, what day do you guys think it will be announced?
Most powerful move: Fan Rule Breaker.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, I suppose in a way it would be appropriate for a drought to end with the beginning of spring not far off and the first general direct of the year

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Arguably Chrom currently has that role. Due to being a Final Smash and playable at the same time.

Maybe they can be partners in that role?
WELL YOU SEE CHROM DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE THE FINAL SMASH WAS FROM LAST GAME, even though that actually just serves as more proof that they don't really care about that kind of thing that much when they had the opportunity to change it between games and a majority of the final smashes got massive reworks this game yet they still chose not to change it but please ignore that.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don¨t forget Mii Costume too
I'd probably say those mean less as they're just recycling assets to boost the content and considering Link among others got a Mii costume despite being playable, well.

Though to be fair, getting a Mii Costume first looks worse, but if it's base game, the DLC could change it around. DLC costumes feel a lot more damning in comparison, if you will. But I treat that as more "timing of when stuff was chosen" than simply "just because".

MisterMike

Smash Champion
WELL YOU SEE CHROM DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE THE FINAL SMASH WAS FROM LAST GAME, even though that actually just serves as more proof that they don't really care about that kind of thing that much when they had the opportunity to change it between games and a majority of the final smashes got massive reworks this game yet they still chose not to change it but please ignore that.
ALSO, HE'S ONLY AN ECHO FIGHTER SO IT DOESN'T COUNT.
Goalpost movement sucessful!
GenoHappyHop.png

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Flash or Blast, probably, unless they want to use Flash as an UpB Recovery (since you shoot out of a cannon), and Blast as another move. Then they could use Whirl Critical as a final smash.

IMO though, here's what I'd do for the whole Specials kit:
- NeutB: Beam; Similar to Robin's Thoron but does ice damage, goes across the entire screen if fully powered up. Dunno what to do with a timing mechanic.
- UpB: Flash; Recovery, shoot out of cannon, lightly-damaging stuff on the way, burst into a sun at the apex of the launch doing more damage (also an AoE burst), good timing gains more distance and deals more damage.
- SideB: Whirl; Projectile, likely medium-ish range, good damage but bad knockback (kinda like Ridley's tail), good timing gets a crit, dealing even more damage.
- DownB: Boost; Gives a damage boost for a short period, good timing also reduces damage and knockback you take.
- Final Smash: Blast; Showers the battlefield with Geno Blast, randomly striking opponents with ??? (the fury of the Star Road?).

Tuesday or Wednesday like guaranteed, assuming it's on Thursday.

UH UH UH CHROM HAS A SWORD, SO HE GETS 10 EXTRA SMASH INVITATION POINTS
I WIN
He's also a primary FE character, so he's just guaranteed an invite.

Also, anyone else excited that we could potentially be getting Geno (and a direct) this coming week? AC's filling some of the gaps but man I'm just really excited that both AC and the Indie World things are now out of the way, so there's nothing stopping the direct anymore.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
UH UH UH CHROM HAS A SWORD, SO HE GETS 10 EXTRA SMASH INVITATION POINTS
I WIN
NO, UHHHH, HOLD ON A SEC, ERRR, W-WAIT, UMMM, YOU SEE, YEAH, I ACTUALLY LIKE CHROM AND HE'S FACTUALLY AND OBJECTIVELY A BETTER AND MORE DESERVING CHARACTER THAN SOME DUMB PNGS AND SOME DUMB ITEMS AND ESPECIALLY THAT DUMB ****ING PUPPET YOU ALL LIKE SO MUCH, WHY, BECAUSE I SAID, SO YOUR ENTIRE ARGUMENT IS INVALID AND YOU'RE JUST NITPICKING AND BIASED

I. WIN.

BYE BYE

emote-1.png

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
So I recently started yet another playthrough of SMRPG (Save file 3 on my SNES Classic now babey!!), just as a game to play in between Animal Crossing and my daily life. Last time I played, I only used Mario, Mallow, and Geno. I did this to sorta challenge myself, since I wouldn’t have access to Peach’s kinda busted healing spells.

Anywho, this time I decided I’d do a Mario, Bowser, and Peach only run. Things were going good until I got to the Bowyer fight. I saw Mario, Mallow, and Geno fighting together and it made me smile. “Weeell, that Bowser and Peach playthrough could always happen NEXT time I suppose...”
0BC46E5B-CA6E-4B08-9BC8-A7F0FBE72CA2.png

Listen, I gave in, I admit it. Seeing those two made me genuinely happy, I just couldn’t do a Bowser and Peach only run.

I guess the reason I bring up that anecdote is: Do you have any moments in SMRPG that make you smile? Any parts that really resonate with you? For me it’s when Mario and Mallow help Geno in the Bowyer fight, it’s one of my favorite video games scene probably ever, at least top 5.

QQS

Smash Lord
So I recently started yet another playthrough of SMRPG (Save file 3 on my SNES Classic now babey!!), just as a game to play in between Animal Crossing and my daily life. Last time I played, I only used Mario, Mallow, and Geno. I did this to sorta challenge myself, since I wouldn’t have access to Peach’s kinda busted healing spells.

Anywho, this time I decided I’d do a Mario, Bowser, and Peach only run. Things were going good until I got to the Bowyer fight. I saw Mario, Mallow, and Geno fighting together and it made me smile. “Weeell, that Bowser and Peach playthrough could always happen NEXT time I suppose...”
View attachment 266537
Listen, I gave in, I admit it. Seeing those two made me genuinely happy, I just couldn’t do a Bowser and Peach only run.

I guess the reason I bring up that anecdote is: Do you have any moments in SMRPG that make you smile? Any parts that really resonate with you? For me it’s when Mario and Mallow help Geno in the Bowyer fight, it’s one of my favorite video games scene probably ever, at least top 5.
Favorite MarioRPG scenes and also top 5 in my gaming life are Geno Awakens in Gaz’s house + all the Bowyer sequence (for me the most memorable boss in the game and the one that left a mark on my childhood).

Geno for Smash, it’s about to happen!

D

Deleted member

I can see if Nintendo wants to start with someone that catches the audience like a 1st party character popular to casual fans or a popular 3rd party series to make general fans buy the pass, then maybe Geno is 7 or 8 unless they really don’t care.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

Well... Remember why the Toad in the Mushroom Kingdom couldn't stop Croco ?
That's because Geno stole his bazooka for Smash , just to be sure to be top tier.
geno rocket launcher.jpg

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It could just as easily be a shadow-drop (since it's a re-release of an older game, as opposed to something brand new), but here's hoping that we get a Direct on Thursday - we could use some good news.
True, I guess it's just that the date is the same as the rumored one.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It could just as easily be a shadow-drop (since it's a re-release of an older game, as opposed to something brand new), but here's hoping that we get a Direct on Thursday - we could use some good news.
At this point, we need something. With E3 2020 cancelled and there's no certainty about a summer direct at the moment, we need something before then.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
At this point, we need something. With E3 2020 cancelled and there's no certainty about a summer direct at the moment, we need something before then.
Oh, I completely agree. However, it seems like we've needed something for months now and Nintendo hasn't given us much (in the past year, we've had a whopping four game announcements from Nintendo themselves), so I'm not getting my hopes up.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That's utter bull****! Nintendo should let the fans create games with their IPs in that game. I guess if they're going to do that they should also take down all fanart and videos with their IPs presented in it as well.
Maybe it's because it's a game platform.

SIGH...

It's clear that you guys don't get this **** at all and your disdain for Nintendo for protecting their IPs is ridiculous. Clearly, none of you have ever made anything remotely successful and had to defend it from lazy hacks on the internet.

So, let me break it down for you.

Protecting your intellectual properties (IPs) whether they be copywritten or trademarked is a very VERY big deal for businesses. If you don't defend them rather rigorously, it can be potentially used against you in the court of law.

For a close-to-heart example, I take you back into a horrible time where I myself...was a Brony.

*Audible Audience Gasp!*

Yes yes, I know, how dreadful of me! Still, it was true, and during that phase in my life there was a team of game designers who put all their resources into producing a My Little Pony fighting game, which was aptly named Fighting Is Magic. Now Hasbro already was known to crack down on stuff like this: there were a number of games that had been made that they slapped the creators with a C&D. There was an MMORPG made in the MLP Universe, a MLP version of Mario Kart, some puzzle games...lots of cool projects and all of them taken down by Hasbro, yet for some reason Fighting Is Magic remained alive.

Many of us wondered why for a while. Did Hasbro not know about it yet? Did they know but were okay with it? It was a mystery up until mid-2013 when EVO did a donation drive. They funds went to charity, and you would donate and nominate which game in a line-up of choices YOU wanted to see on the EVO main stage. Keep in mind for those of you who do not know, EVO often has smaller tournaments that can still have prize pools, but the big ones that Mr. Wizard announces himself are the ones that will be livestreamed and will be on the big fancy stage with a ton of money and a trophy to win.

So, this donation drive was to put one of the listed games in the big-time fighting game spotlight. As many of you here know, Melee won that spot, but here is what you didn't know I'll bet: Fighting Is Magic was in a landsliding first place for a long time during the donation period.

You heard that right, Smash friends: a My Little Pony fan-made fighting game was kicking the ass of Melee, SkullGirls (Launch Party EVERYDAY!), and many others by a very wide margin. You may think this is ridiculous, but it was true, and here is why I can attest to that: I was actually considering donating and picking Fighting Is Magic as my choice, even over SkullGirls (my favorite fighting game of all time), and I was debating it because I needed my own money and Fighting Is Magic was SOOOOO far ahead I felt like it didn't really matter if I did so or not.

Well, you may ask, how did Melee win then? Well as it turns out it would seem the devs of Fighting Is Magic (who called themselves Mane6Dev or just Mane6) didn't really know or expect such support and...well, the game was never going to be ready for a main stage at EVO anyway. See, at that time, the most recent build had Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, and Applejack at like 90% with Pinkie Pie around 80% or so while Rainbow Dash was at around 60% and Fluttershy was around 30% at BEST. The team was small and this was a side project that earned them no money, so they did what they could with the time they had, and they were still polishing up the foundation of the game in some ways. There was a lot of sprite work that still needed to be done for most of the cast and they just did not have confidence they would have a final build ready in time for EVO.

So it was announced that Fighting Is Magic would no longer be a selectable option for donations and if Fighting Is Magic still wins at the end, whoever is second place would win instead, but that Mane6Dev will most definitely have a spot at EVO as smaller booth or room to have people play their current build. Melee ended up getting more donations of course but I now laugh at the idea that in another timeline, a fan-made My Little Pony fighting game beat out Melee for a main stage at EVO. XD

So this was kinda big news, and when EVO came around a lot of people got footage of Fighting Is Magic and showed off cool stuff and uploaded it to various places on the internet...and it wasn't long after that Man6Dev told us about their C&D they got from Hasbro. The fact that the game had been a serious contender for a main stage feature at the biggest fighting game in the world coupled with the rising popularity forced them to make a move. Sure, they could have not done anything, but a non-Hasbro official game at the biggest tournament when Hasbro owns the MLP IP? Surely this would be a factor that would have been brought up in court later on should someone have made another game and perhaps tried to profit off it.

So hopefully, this helps you understand this a bit more. Nintendo HAS to do these takedowns just to keep them safe in the future, and I am positive there is a whole team dedicated to keeping track of these things and making the decision on when something has gone too far. So that Nintendo can keep ownership of the IPs you so dearly love like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby and Smash they have to go after people who make games with IPs that they do not own so that nothing can threaten to take them from Nintendo later on.

It's not that they hate fan games because I know they love and support creativity, but maybe make your own character and world when you do that and have it inspired by Mario instead of ripping off Mario and Nintendo won't have to shut down your game due to legal obligation and protection.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That said, I really feel a Direct is coming. I hope it's an hour-long Direct man. Even hour and a half. Just hit us with everything at once Nintendo, blow my socks off man!

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
SIGH...

It's clear that you guys don't get this **** at all and your disdain for Nintendo for protecting their IPs is ridiculous. Clearly, none of you have ever made anything remotely successful and had to defend it from lazy hacks on the internet.

So, let me break it down for you.

Protecting your intellectual properties (IPs) whether they be copywritten or trademarked is a very VERY big deal for businesses. If you don't defend them rather rigorously, it can be potentially used against you in the court of law.

For a close-to-heart example, I take you back into a horrible time where I myself...was a Brony.

*Audible Audience Gasp!*

Yes yes, I know, how dreadful of me! Still, it was true, and during that phase in my life there was a team of game designers who put all their resources into producing a My Little Pony fighting game, which was aptly named Fighting Is Magic. Now Hasbro already was known to crack down on stuff like this: there were a number of games that had been made that they slapped the creators with a C&D. There was an MMORPG made in the MLP Universe, a MLP version of Mario Kart, some puzzle games...lots of cool projects and all of them taken down by Hasbro, yet for some reason Fighting Is Magic remained alive.

Many of us wondered why for a while. Did Hasbro not know about it yet? Did they know but were okay with it? It was a mystery up until mid-2013 when EVO did a donation drive. They funds went to charity, and you would donate and nominate which game in a line-up of choices YOU wanted to see on the EVO main stage. Keep in mind for those of you who do not know, EVO often has smaller tournaments that can still have prize pools, but the big ones that Mr. Wizard announces himself are the ones that will be livestreamed and will be on the big fancy stage with a ton of money and a trophy to win.

So, this donation drive was to put one of the listed games in the big-time fighting game spotlight. As many of you here know, Melee won that spot, but here is what you didn't know I'll bet: Fighting Is Magic was in a landsliding first place for a long time during the donation period.

You heard that right, Smash friends: a My Little Pony fan-made fighting game was kicking the ass of Melee, SkullGirls (Launch Party EVERYDAY!), and many others by a very wide margin. You may think this is ridiculous, but it was true, and here is why I can attest to that: I was actually considering donating and picking Fighting Is Magic as my choice, even over SkullGirls (my favorite fighting game of all time), and I was debating it because I needed my own money and Fighting Is Magic was SOOOOO far ahead I felt like it didn't really matter if I did so or not.

Well, you may ask, how did Melee win then? Well as it turns out it would seem the devs of Fighting Is Magic (who called themselves Mane6Dev or just Mane6) didn't really know or expect such support and...well, the game was never going to be ready for a main stage at EVO anyway. See, at that time, the most recent build had Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, and Applejack at like 90% with Pinkie Pie around 80% or so while Rainbow Dash was at around 60% and Fluttershy was around 30% at BEST. The team was small and this was a side project that earned them no money, so they did what they could with the time they had, and they were still polishing up the foundation of the game in some ways. There was a lot of sprite work that still needed to be done for most of the cast and they just did not have confidence they would have a final build ready in time for EVO.

So it was announced that Fighting Is Magic would no longer be a selectable option for donations and if Fighting Is Magic still wins at the end, whoever is second place would win instead, but that Mane6Dev will most definitely have a spot at EVO as smaller booth or room to have people play their current build. Melee ended up getting more donations of course but I now laugh at the idea that in another timeline, a fan-made My Little Pony fighting game beat out Melee for a main stage at EVO. XD

So this was kinda big news, and when EVO came around a lot of people got footage of Fighting Is Magic and showed off cool stuff and uploaded it to various places on the internet...and it wasn't long after that Man6Dev told us about their C&D they got from Hasbro. The fact that the game had been a serious contender for a main stage feature at the biggest fighting game in the world coupled with the rising popularity forced them to make a move. Sure, they could have not done anything, but a non-Hasbro official game at the biggest tournament when Hasbro owns the MLP IP? Surely this would be a factor that would have been brought up in court later on should someone have made another game and perhaps tried to profit off it.

So hopefully, this helps you understand this a bit more. Nintendo HAS to do these takedowns just to keep them safe in the future, and I am positive there is a whole team dedicated to keeping track of these things and making the decision on when something has gone too far. So that Nintendo can keep ownership of the IPs you so dearly love like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby and Smash they have to go after people who make games with IPs that they do not own so that nothing can threaten to take them from Nintendo later on.

It's not that they hate fan games because I know they love and support creativity, but maybe make your own character and world when you do that and have it inspired by Mario instead of ripping off Mario and Nintendo won't have to shut down your game due to legal obligation and protection.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is why Mother 4 becoming Oddity was the right call in the long run. They get to keep the hard work without having to worry about any legal mumbo jumbo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know Sakurai has done this a number of times but Sakurai has put out yet another statement that not only is Season 2 is the last of Ultimate's DLC but he currently doesn't have any plans for after Ultimate either:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3576...XX-vatFFZezVBPw5n0NuJOWJ_7Z2g-7dGk8SEeSmYzrcc

I've been saying it for more than half a year now but everything points to Season 2 being an enormous deal to Sakurai on a personal level.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know Sakurai has done this a number of times but Sakurai has put out yet another statement that not only is Season 2 is the last of Ultimate's DLC but he currently doesn't have any plans for after Ultimate either:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3576...XX-vatFFZezVBPw5n0NuJOWJ_7Z2g-7dGk8SEeSmYzrcc

I've been saying it for more than half a year now but everything points to Season 2 being an enormous deal to Sakurai on a personal level.
Basically it's now or never for Geno.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Hngggg. LaxChris just uploaded a video with an ALL CAPS title saying that the Direct was going to be announced today and, despite NOT being subbed to him, YouTube just sent that video to my push notifications.

MattX20

Smash Hero

It's certainly looking climactic to be sure, and even the first reveal for this pass will have big implications for the remainder of it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom