• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
9, right? Also I dunno if they'd confirm it today, likely tomorrow or Wednesday.
I mean sometimes they confirm directs 2 whole days ahead of time. Though maybe my memory's a little fuzzy, since that happened with Terry's and Byleth's presentations (were confirmed 2 whole days before) so myabe im just confusing them.

D

Deleted member

So at what hour do they confirm Directs exactly? 10 Am? 12 Pm?
It feels like even that is a matter of debate anymore. 9 AM Eastern is the go to for when we are not under daylight savings time, but 10 AM Eastern for when we are... but the Indie World was announced at 9 AM. There's an argument to be had that since it isn't a general direct, it operates on different rules...

Nintendo's go to philosophy, along with that of the year 2020 seems to be that there are no rules, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Now or never if it happens good we finally got something.

If it doesn’t well we’re still stuck here waiting.

With that said bring on the Nintendo Direct.

If it doesn’t happen forget that last part.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don’t think they’d announce it today, especially since some rumors state this Thursday. I’d say it would be announced tomorrow or Wednesday, up to two days maximum in advance.

link2702

Smash Champion
it’ll be a few hours before the Twitter post folks, so might as well play acnh while y’all wait.

I’m currently at work since my job ain’t closing during this, though i can take emergency sick leave if I feel worried(not going to, unless/until I actually am sick), so no ac for me

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
If there isn't a direct this week I think we will all have to pack into the ass kicker express and go "visit" some people's houses who made some bold claims about this Thursday. Even my patience is wearing thin and I have tons of other things to distract me and way more important things to worry about right now. That being said, I'm not inclined to believe that there really will be a general direct Thursday but there are thingd backing up that date outside of just rumors so I guess we will see.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
They will announce the Thursday Direct this week on Friday.

This Direct has been so elusive, why should the laws of space-time matter to them?

D

Deleted member

They will definitely announce the Thursday direct, give or take a few millennia. It's only a matter of time.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
General Directs are typically announced at 9 AM eastern when DST is not in effect and 10 AM when it is. Nintendo has kinda shown this year that they don't give a crap about their typical rules of announcement times and just do whatever they want, whenever they want. Despite it still not being 10 yet, I don't think we'll get the Thursday direct announcement today, usually, they're still announced a day before so I'm betting on Wednesday for the announcement.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Just remember, if there isn't any announcement tomorrow, don't fret. The world is going thru something never seen in anyone's lifetime before so it is going to change a few things.

But I sure am rooting for some good news. I am definitely rooting for Geno to be the Smash character they choose to reveal. Because of everything going on, I can't see anyone getting upset with any character reveal due to the virus. Even Byleth or Hero would have gone over really well. It would be such a welcoming news in this trying time.

Wouldn't it be special if Geno was the one character to calm the tension of Nintendo fans who may be feeling down with everything going on in the real world right now?

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Just remember, if there isn't any announcement tomorrow, don't fret.
Mmm nope, I will 100% absolutely fret because I don't think it'll be before June at that point.

The world is going thru something never seen in anyone's lifetime before so it is going to change a few things.
While true that the world is indeed going through something, PAX East, 3 directs and a Sakurai video all went off fine, and this direct has already been seemingly delayed to hell and back. AC also wasn't delayed further (even though while I'm enjoying it, I do think some design choices could have used a bit more time, personally). It's now or June because we know literally 0 games' release dates. We do have yet another port of Xenoblade that's coming sometime this year, but I barely count that since it's a port that was already on two successful systems , not a Wii U => Switch port, plus we don't even know the release date of it.

I get I was wrong about thinking they would want one more ad for AC, whatever, but at this point, it's getting ridiculous. If it's not this week, I have little faith in a direct any month soon and that's them basically folding on this half of the year. AC is great but will not carry another 3 months (especially when released in the third month). Plus, it's been nearly 2 months since they started selling FP2 and we still don't have a character from it revealed. Also, the physical card starts selling today and you'd think they'd want a reveal to go alongside it.

TL;DR: If it's not this week, GG everyone, guess this year will be a bust, PISS (PS5) and SEX (XSX) gonna take over the industry :c

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Given the choice, would you guys rather get a true sequel to SMRPG (not a spiritual successor like Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi), or Geno in Smash?
I personally more invested with wanting Geno in Smash Bros more. A true sequel just doesn't seem as likely due to the nature of Paper Mario and M&L. I would equally be excited to see him featured in a Paper Mario game or a Mario and Luigi game but I am still from the same crowd that things Square just doesn't play nice with Nintendo and they never will.

For me, putting Geno in Smash would at least immortalize him as one of the greats of Nintendo's history of iconic and beloved characters. I feel like that is the case with most anyone that is apart of the roster. (With a few exceptions as of late: :ultcorrin::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ultbyleth:)

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Really? PISS and SEX is what we're going with for the next generation?
Idk man, it's what I saw so I'm just memeing. The PS5 logo does look a bit like "PISS" and SEX comes from "SeriEs X".

Given the choice, would you guys rather get a true sequel to SMRPG (not a spiritual successor like Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi), or Geno in Smash?
If I absolutely *had* to choose, which makes no sense really, Geno in Smash, because I don't think a sequel would translate as well in this modern day and age. But if they went back to the 16-bit isometric style of the first game (HAHA yeah right) then I'd pick that.

That said, we still have Paper Mario (likely RIP M&L) as a potential backup assuming this rumored PM3 is indeed coming and it's like the first two (BADGES AND PARTNERS ARE A *MUST*, NINTENDO!). I'd be totally happy never getting another SMRPG game if it meant getting more PM games like 64/TTYD, alongside Geno being in Smash representing the one that started it all.

One begets the other. That's how I see it.
Exactly, which makes the choice pointless except in this hypothetical bizzaro world where you can have one or the other.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I personally more invested with wanting Geno in Smash Bros more. A true sequel just doesn't seem as likely due to the nature of Paper Mario and M&L. I would equally be excited to see him featured in a Paper Mario game or a Mario and Luigi game but I am still from the same crowd that things Square just doesn't play nice with Nintendo and they never will.

For me, putting Geno in Smash would at least immortalize him as one of the greats of Nintendo's history of iconic and beloved characters. I feel like that is the case with most anyone that is apart of the roster. (With a few exceptions as of late: :ultcorrin::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ultbyleth:)
You seem to be implying that the Piranha plant is not iconic, and that Joker and Byleth are not beloved.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just remember, if there isn't any announcement tomorrow, don't fret. The world is going thru something never seen in anyone's lifetime before so it is going to change a few things.

But I sure am rooting for some good news. I am definitely rooting for Geno to be the Smash character they choose to reveal. Because of everything going on, I can't see anyone getting upset with any character reveal due to the virus. Even Byleth or Hero would have gone over really well. It would be such a welcoming news in this trying time.

Wouldn't it be special if Geno was the one character to calm the tension of Nintendo fans who may be feeling down with everything going on in the real world right now?
"Geno gets into Smash..."

Yay!

"But you die in squalor and agony shortly afterwards because you're an "essential worker" in one of the five states that literally has no plan in place to deal with a pandemic."

Welp...

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
You seem to be implying that the Piranha plant is not iconic, and that Joker and Byleth are not beloved.
It mainly comes down to how I view that :ultjoker: has no actual history with Nintendo that I am a little more critical of his role as opposed to other 3rd party characters that have a long history with Nintendo. I will always be like that since this has been our (Nintendo fans) franchise.

:ultcorrin: and :ultbyleth: mainly for just how stapled on they are. The promotional pick doesn't really seem as honest as someone like Lyn getting in as a Fire Emblem character.

:ultpiranha: is iconic in the same sense as a coin block or a fire flower is. It does not mean it has any business being playable. Something like Petey Piranha on the other hand would have been fine.

The landscape has certainly changed since the Brawl era but I think at this point it is still crazy to not want someone like Lloyd Irving or Geno to join the roster as they have been really apart of speculation history and have been huge fan favorites. Seeing :ultridley:,:ultkrool:and:ultbanjokazooie: all shatter the impossible ceiling only motivates me more to see us Geno fans and Lloyd fans get what we deserve. But I am also prepared to be let down again. Just a personal thing where I feel like everything I root for is cursed to always fail. Personally I think I am just a born loser so naturally I hope I am not the reason Geno is not getting in.

Yay!

"But you die in squalor and agony shortly afterwards because you're an "essential worker" in one of the five states that literally has no plan in place to deal with a pandemic."

Welp...
I still think any distraction from these events would be a fresh breath of air and I would love for Geno to be the one who provides that.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
SMRPG is already a fundamentally great game, the only way a remake would improve upon it would be to improve the graphics. Geno in Smash is a lot more significant.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
:ultpiranha: is iconic in the same sense as a coin block or a fire flower is. It does not mean it has any business being playable. Something like Petey Piranha on the other hand would have been fine.

The landscape has certainly changed since the Brawl era but I think at this point it is still crazy to not want someone like Lloyd Irving or Geno to join the roster.
What makes Petey okay but PP not? Why does Piranha Plant specifically have no 'business' being playable? I think any character is a justifiable pick for Smash. Remember that Smash is a game first -- all the crossover business comes second.

And is that want or expect? I think it's a little harsh to call someone crazy for not wanting a specific character (idk what Lloyd or Geno are even supposed to have in common).

Firox

Smash Master

Yay!

Welp...
I gotta say, I think its pretty idiotic how many people in the "high risk" states are frolicking around merrily as if there isn't a deadly pandemic going on. Despite the "full lockdowns" that have been declared, you have people flocking to beaches, malls and shopping centers of all kinds, not to mention the tons of business that deem themselves "essential" *cough* Gamestop *cough* just to keep that sweet money flowing regardless of the workers they put at risk. The best part is that these morons will wonder why we haven't managed to slow the spread after a month of no restaurants or theaters. Just remember boys and girls, when the US government declares martial law and forces us all into absolute isolation, it was your fault for not taking things seriously.

....Sorry for the rant. Just had to get that out. Anywho......so how about that Direct? Geno, anyone?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
And is that want or expect? I think it's a little harsh to call someone crazy for not wanting a specific character (idk what Lloyd or Geno are even supposed to have in common).
It is totally alright for someone to not want Lloyd or Geno as much as other characters. But I have come across numerous people who out right root against these characters as if they want to see their fanbases fail for no reason aside from just being spiteful. Almost to the point where something is seriously wrong with them. Similar to the Banjo/Steve nonsense a few months ago where both sides were actively trying to run one another out of the community. It's a shame that some people are like that and want to gatekeep others from the characters they want.

Geno and Lloyd have had very strong fan demand for Smash Bros since pre-Brawl speculation and I just feel for timing alone that both of them should have an opportunity to shine. I may only have something invested in Geno (never played Tales Of before) but I have witnessed years of passion from that group as well and I can confidently say I am rooting for them to get the nod as the next Namco character. And that's putting them over my personal most wanted Namco character Nightmare or Yoshimitsu in as a Namco character. Ultimately everyone who has been in it for the long haul deserves to get their character.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I gotta say, I think its pretty idiotic how many people in the "high risk" states are frolicking around merrily as if there isn't a deadly pandemic going on.
Almost like the same idiots who continuously support things that actively harm their life, like anti-vaxxers... or lower-income class republicans (or LGBT republicans)... inb4 I get b& for touching on politics, whoops.

Then you also have the "lul I'm invincible" crowd who think nothing bad can ever happen to them because nothing bad has happened to them, such as the Spring Breakers. Living in Florida has been scary as hell because it's super in-season and we've had not just the idiotic Spring Breakers, but also so many snowbirds from the Winter when the US didn't even know it had the virus. I pretty much haven't left the house in the last month except to restock on groceries.

so how about that Direct? Geno, anyone?
Soon™... Soon.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
It is totally alright for someone to not want Lloyd or Geno as much as other characters. But I have come across numerous people who out right root against these characters as if they want to see their fanbases fail for no reason aside from just being spiteful. Almost to the point where something is seriously wrong with them. Similar to the Banjo/Steve nonsense a few months ago where both sides were actively trying to run one another out of the community. It's a shame that some people are like that and want to gatekeep others from the characters they want.

Geno and Lloyd have had very strong fan demand for Smash Bros since pre-Brawl speculation and I just feel for timing alone that both of them should have an opportunity to shine. I may only have something invested in Geno (never played Tales Of before) but I have witnessed years of passion from that group as well and I can confidently say I am rooting for them to get the nod as the next Namco character.
I think all the hostility originated from the Ballot days where people rooting for another character actively hurt your own character's chances -- but it's fairly obvious that picks aren't based on the ballot anymore, so there's no reason not to be supportive of other movements at this point.

On the subject of Geno and Lloyd: Geno definitely deserves it, and that's a fact (I don't so much support that character, as I really couldn't care less about him and don't really like his design, but I support his fan movement just based on their persistence) -- but it's also a fact that Nintendo corporate doesn't have much of a reason to push Geno right now -- so all that's left is to hope Sakurai gives the fans one last Ballot pick. There are certainly Namco picks I think deserve the spot more than Lloyd, though; namely Heihachi, Nightmare, or a Dark Souls rep.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Almost like the same idiots who continuously support things that actively harm their life, like lower-income class republicans
Don't worry we can still be friends. We both like Geno lol

I gotta say, I think its pretty idiotic how many people in the "high risk" states are frolicking around merrily as if there isn't a deadly pandemic going on.
There is one thing they all have in common.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/402/574/13b.gif

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Then you also have the "lul I'm invincible" crowd who think nothing bad can ever happen to them because nothing bad has happened to them, such as the Spring Breakers.
I can't believe the idiot Spring Breakers that simply say, "If I catch corona, then I catch it." Guys, this ain't the common cold. Even kids and 20-30 yr olds are struggling with this. Best case scenario, you could be chilling under house arrest for 2 weeks to a month with the most serious head cold you've ever experienced. Trust me, nobody wants this. If you get sick being stupid or careless, you and the ones you care about will regret it.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I don't get Super Mario RPG isn't on Switch online yet. I'd be down for a big RPG like that right now.
Gonna blame Square on that one. Same reason no FF1/4/6 (1/2/3 outside of Japan) and Chrono Trigger (...hopefully yet?).

I can't believe the idiot Spring Breakers that simply say, "If I catch corona, then I catch it." Guys, this ain't the common cold. Even kids and 20-30 yr olds are struggling with this. Best case scenario, you could be chilling under house arrest for 2 weeks to a month with the most serious head cold you've ever experienced. Trust me, nobody wants this. If you get sick being stupid or careless, you and the ones you care about will regret it.
On top of risking permanent damage to your respiratory system and also infecting your F&F who could potentially die (if you don't). Imagine going to a crowded place and then later seeing the older generations in your family (such as grandparents); it's like you're actively choosing to kill them.

Like hell, I'm pretty sure I've got a strengthened immune system (used to be sick a lot as a kid, now I practically never get sick) and I'm still staying away from people because it's good for the safety of everyone. Yadda yadda herd immunity and all that jazz.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
If I truly believed that the sequel could capture the charm of SMRPG and innovate in inspiring and fun ways and do the original justice then I might say sequel, but it's honestly pretty much impossible to be like the first because the first was literally THE FIRST Mario RPG and there's really just no possible way to repeat that. I trust Sakurai to do Geno justice in Smash but I'm not sure I'd trust developers now days to do SMRPG justice so I would probably have to say Geno in Smash.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If I truly believed that the sequel could capture the charm of SMRPG and innovate in inspiring and fun ways and do the original justice then I might say sequel, but it's honestly pretty much impossible to be like the first because the first was literally THE FIRST Mario RPG and there's really just no possible way to repeat that. I trust Sakurai to do Geno justice in Smash but I'm not sure I'd trust developers now days to do SMRPG justice so I would probably have to say Geno in Smash.
Not to mention if Nintendo developed it, it'd likely have some obnoxious gimmick (read: "innovation")*, and if Square was the developer, it'd be an ARPG instead of a JRPG with over half the total game time being cutscenes.

*When PM3 actually gets confirmed out of rumor status and doesn't have any dumb gimmicks, I'll gladly eat these words.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

Geno and Lloyd have had very strong fan demand for Smash Bros since pre-Brawl speculation and I just feel for timing alone that both of them should have an opportunity to shine. I may only have something invested in Geno (never played Tales Of before) but I have witnessed years of passion from that group as well and I can confidently say I am rooting for them to get the nod as the next Namco character. And that's putting them over my personal most wanted Namco character Nightmare or Yoshimitsu in as a Namco character. Ultimately everyone who has been in it for the long haul deserves to get their character.
I'm kinda of the same mind when it comes to Namco reps although I don't really have any personal stock in any of them except Nightmare/Yoshimitsu and I'd love to see Kloana cuz I love mascot characters and I like Kloana's design. But I see these Lloyd (and I'd argue Heihachi as well) fans who've been pushing for a long time and I just want to see them have their wish granted so much more than I want some of my own preferences to make it in. I still prioritize Geno, Rayman, and Crash over other characters but after that I still have preferences but I'm more inclined to want to see the big fan requests get granted.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm kinda of the same mind when it comes to Namco reps although I don't really have any personal stock in any of them except Nightmare/Yoshimitsu and I'd love to see Kloana cuz I love mascot characters and I like Kloana's design. But I see these Lloyd (and I'd argue Heihachi as well) fans who've been pushing for a long time and I just want to see them have their wish granted so much more than I want some of my own preferences to make it in. I still prioritize Geno, Rayman, and Crash over other characters but after that I still have preferences but I'm more inclined to want to see the big fan requests get granted.
Exactly. It's why I was thrilled to see Ridley, K.Rool and Banjo all get in. K.Rool was the only one that I actually was super familiar with. (DKC/DK64 was dope)
I never really was too familiar with Metroid or Banjo (aside from Diddy Kong Racing) but at some point you just feel good for fans who got what they wanted. I just hope we can experience what those fans went thru during their most wanted character's reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom