• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't know which rule I've broken to leave the thread? I replied to Fatman's theory and as far as I know it's allowed to bring up other characters when it connects to general DLC developments. I did not attack anyone and had no bad intention with my post.

Now I gotta ask if I talked about Lloyd instead of Heihachi, would you have reacted differently? I have the suspicion talking about another potential Bamco rep is the main point about my post you didn't like. Again I do not want to cause trouble here and now but I felt to bring that up.

As for my stance on Geno: while he is not among my most wanteds; if he gets in I think it would be cool as I trust Sakurai's words that "he would fit right into Smash". As long as he is fun to play he'd be a nice addition. A fast gunner playstyle is currently lacking since mii attribute customization from Smash 4 was removed
Actually you're kind of right. If you talked about really any character but Heihachi I probably wouldn't have said anything. My objection was not to that one individual post, but rather the fact that the only character you seem to want to talk about is Heihachi. And no, you haven't broken any rules per say, and that's not my place to judge anyway as I am not a mod. And of course I wasn't telling you to leave the thread. Just saying if you're going to hang out here in the Geno thread, you should at least occasionally post about Geno instead of Heihachi. I was suggesting you go to the Heihachi thread instead if you only want to talk about him. We're off topic a lot, but with you it's just a constant stream of Heihachi posts and nothing else. It just seems like it really belongs on the thread dedicated to him at this point.

Edit: I want to clarify I have no Ill will here. Your posts are usually really insightful and we'll thought out. It's just that there's no reason to be posting all of this Heihachi content here instead of the Heihachi thread.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
I really hope we can get the next Direct this week. By the way, love this picture.

Credits to roboticoperatingbud

8D3CC42C-C646-4D4F-A653-D40657FEDA4A.jpeg

link2702

Smash Champion
I really wish that people would stop over-analyzing Sakurai's goofy Smash Bros. images, whether those images are posted on the Smash Bros. website, on Miiverse, or on Twitter.

Moving on....

Asked it in the past, but, do y'all think Geno would get his own icon like other DLC has, or would they just give him a musrhoom/mario icon?

I still feel the best icon for him to have is the Starman icon. It shows he's still a mario character, but also emphasizes he's not quite in the same category as the other mario crew.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Asked it in the past, but, do y'all think Geno would get his own icon like other DLC has, or would they just give him a musrhoom/mario icon?

I still feel the best icon for him to have is the Starman icon. It shows he's still a mario character, but also emphasizes he's not quite in the same category as the other mario crew.
It kinda depends how characters are organized, since Wario and Yoshi (and DK) are in Mario universe obviously, but they all have their own icons. Going by the logic that icons are based on *SERIES* and not Universes, then yeah it would make more sense to have an SMRPG-based icon. Starman would be a nice gap between the two, though I think Exor might be more thematic. I could totally see them just using the Mario Mushroom though.

PS: Byleth uses the same icon as the other FE characters, as does Plant with Mario characters, so only 4 out of 6 DLC have new icons.
PPS: Would a Starman be a great idea though? Would that get a bit confusing with Kirby-universe and Terry/FF?

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
It kinda depends how characters are organized, since Wario and Yoshi (and DK) are in Mario universe obviously, but they all have their own icons. Going by the logic that icons are based on *SERIES* and not Universes, then yeah it would make more sense to have an SMRPG-based icon. Starman would be a nice gap between the two, though I think Exor might be more thematic. I could totally see them just using the Mario Mushroom though.

PS: Byleth uses the same icon as the other FE characters, as does Plant with Mario characters, so only 4 out of 6 DLC have new icons.
PPS: Would a Starman be a great idea though? Would that get a bit confusing with Kirby-universe and Terry/FF?
The kirby universe has the Star tilted, Terry's has sharp edges. Starman would have more rounded edges, and one of the 5 points would be strait upwards, and it'd have the distinct eyes we normally see the starmen have in the mario universe.

It'd be unique looking enough from Terry and the Kirby universe to not get them confused.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You know this is something people just assume. I doubt nintendo thinks that way. If anything they would think we are celebrating indie games by doing that. Lets try and stop having fan theories as facts
I mean it's not an assumption that it would screw over the indie developers. I guess you could say I'm assuming Nintendo wouldn't screw them over, but that's more of a general optimism and kind of a hope that they wouldn't be that ****ty than an assumption. Literally no part of it is a theory though.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Quick question, What other fighters had a reveal close to or around their anniversary? I remember Lil Mac being one, but I am uncertain of any others.

Also, all of these little coincidences stacking up is wild. Obviously it means nothing, but would be hilarious if it wound up being true!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Moving on....

I think it’s possible, but I feel they would just give him the mushroom icon, since his and Mallow’s spirits use it (as do the other spirit characters from Mario RPGs).

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, it's true?

What I saw after catching up with the thread. The possibility of FP2 - Character 1 happening on March? Or it's that just another assumption?

:bowser:.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
So my predictions changed a little.

Bottom row is honorable mentions, AKA characters I also think are likely but I also have less confidence for.
1583300588117.png

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
characters I also think are really likely
I'd love Danganronpa being in Smash but what makes you think Monokuma is "really likely"? Not judging or anything, just really, really curious. As for the rest of your predictions, I agree with most of them, most notably Geno (duh), MC, Dante, and Heihachi. I assume the first character is Travis I keep hearing about? The 4th character I don't have the slightest clue, and because of that, I can't really comment on them.

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
I'd love Danganronpa being in Smash but what makes you think Monokuma is "really likely"? Not judging or anything, just really, really curious. As for the rest of your predictions, I agree with most of them, most notably Geno (duh), MC, Dante, and Heihachi. I assume the first character is Travis I keep hearing about? The 4th character I don't have the slightest clue, and because of that, I can't really comment on them.
First character is indeed Travis Touchdown. If you have a Wii or a Wii emulator, I'd really suggest playing No More Heroes.
4th character is Reimu from Touhou.

"Really likely" was improper wording on my part (I edited it so it didn't say that), but as far as Monokuma goes, it's just a very strong gut feeling that reminds me of Joker and Snake: Little to no presence on Nintendo (yet) but Sakurai's adoration for the series and, more specifically, his friendship with its creator. Plus with Dante looking like the most likely Capcom character pushing Phoenix off the table, Monokuma could be the pick to bring the mystery genre to Smash's roster with a little dash of despair.

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
To everyone complaining that Sakurai won’t confirm whether or not spirits de-confirm—remember that this is the same guy who purposely held off telling us that Shadow the Hedgehog—the candidate most likely to become an Echo Fighter—was still an Assist Trophy until the very last Direct.

But prediction time!

6 - Geno - I had reservations about him opening up the second pass before, but the stars are lining up for him to be the 7th DLC fighter. Rumored Nintendo Direct, the Mar10 Day theories, and whatnot.
7 - Crash Bandicoot - Revealed at E3. Crowd goes wild. He’s got too much going for him now to be a no show.
8 - Lloyd Irving - Fan favorite wanted since Brawl to close out E3. Heihachi could be here as well, but I think that Namco and Sakurai wanna keep him in retirement out of respect. Honestly, he could fit anywhere in the first three slots, possibly swapping with Geno.
9 - Ryu Hayabasa - a relic from the days of NES classics. Plus he fulfills the fighting game quota kinda. Kinda like Terry!
10 - Master Chief - Crowd goes APE**** for him. Nintendo wins E3. Disney wants too much money for Sora, and Nintendo can win without him.
11 - Elma - still closing out with a whimper, but a whimper that people actually want. I believe fully that Xenoblade Chronicles X is getting remastered once the first one releases, and Elma is the perfect shill. They love her so much that they gave her DLC for a game she wasn’t even in!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
First character is indeed Travis Touchdown. If you have a Wii or a Wii emulator, I'd really suggest playing No More Heroes.
I'll have to give that a try if I can find a copy and finally get a charging cable for my dumb Wii U sometime. Might just pull up an LP of it to take a look.

As far as Monokuma goes, it's just a very strong gut feeling that reminds me of Joker and Snake: Little to no presence on Nintendo (yet) but Sakurai's adoration for the series and, more specifically, his friendship with its creator.
Dang. I didn't know *any* of this, but I would not be unhappy at seeing it happen. Would be awesome to get a 4th game and it coming out on the Switch too, but V3 didn't really set the stage for any sequels, though y'never know. Hell I'd be cool with just a spirit of Monokuma...
I really don't think Danganronpa has that high of a chance, but I'd love to be wrong.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Haven't posted in here in a bit-- anyways, I think it's pretty fun to try to make out something out of Sakurai's screenshots sometimes. I'm absolutely sure they all just probably mean nothing, lol, but I'd be lying if I said when seeing that doll picture I didn't think of Geno. (and the Smash 64 opening). It's just a fun "what if?"-- you don't need to tell me there's no deeper meaning behind them.

Anyhow, I hope Geno comes sooner than later. I was thinking he could be the first fighter in FP2, but I'm not too sure. My "predictions" don't tend to be too right, so I'm not abiding by it much.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
They love her so much that they gave her DLC for a game she wasn’t even in!
Shulk and Fiora got DLC for the same game. And everyone knows how much MonolithSoft loves to shill their characters. Just look at KOS-MOS!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Wasn't Nightmare shot down by some of Fatman's info? If no then I'll find a way to plug him in. Either way I only ask cause my observation is based entirely on Fatman Theories.
I'm not really sure, I would ask Fatman.

He might be a Mii costume according to a rumor he heard.

My guess as far as Sqaure Enix related characters to be kept secret is probably someone akin to 2B, Marina Liteyears, or even someone more obscure that Square could've either made or got via buyout of another company.
Gex perhaps.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So the FF7R Demo dropped and I have to say...it's everything anyone has hyped it up to be. The thing that kills me is that the demo has cut content for deeper lore that will be in the final product and on top of that the Demo is from MONTHS ago and looks amazing yet the finished game will be EVEN MORE POLISHED!

I have never felt so nostalgic for a game I recently played than I have for this. There is a reason why I keep telling you guys that Square isn't an evil company, just very overprotective and knowing that they have good stuff worth good money. Honestly, we are about to see gaming history in April. I dare say that no single game on this level has been remade like this. Just losing my mind over it, don't worry about me! Also just watched Bladerunner for the first time and damn do they not make movies like they use to.

On topic, I see a couple of things I want to address. They won't be positive overall, so be prepared.

Griselda Griselda I have to say I disagree with this, though not entirely. The only character choices we should make fun of are ones that are obviously joke picks or really do have no chance and the person mentioning it knows it...but there comes a point where 1. Non-staff members should stop policing the thread and 2. I'm getting sick of how the Geno community always needs to be told to 'be nice' whenever it comes to people outside our community. We are nice, probably TOO nice, as we keep getting walked all over whenever anyone goddamn well feels like it. We are allowed to talk about other characters and their chances as we see them to a certain degree in this thread, and Ashley is one of those who really do not have a chance. In her own series, she is more of a nobody than Geno is and WarioWare isn't really a big factor for Nintendo as much as I love how wacky it is. On top of this, if we were to even have ATs upgraded, wouldn't it make more sense to go for characters like Waluigi or Isaac who have had more demand for much longer?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JudgeHeihachi JudgeHeihachi I think you are assuming something incorrectly and jumping the gun a bit here. Heihachi wasn't excluded because of Sakurai's lack of ability: Heihachi was excluded because trying to adapt how Tekken plays to a 2D platformer fighter with simplistic inputs is insanely difficult, especially when the character has very few truly iconic moves that you can easily pull from. That's not to say it's impossible, but apparently it was difficult enough to prevent it from happening before despite Ryu happening. Sakurai has been a developer for years and has played fighting games well before that, and he has also said time and again that a character doesn't get turned down for creative reasons...which to me sounds like Heihachi or any Tekken (and perhaps Soul Calibur, though it is a bit of a simpler game) is just too different in fundamental design to transition it over. Could be wrong though, we will have to wait and see, but I know there are some other Namco reps that would be much easier to transition over who are much more requested, so I wouldn't be surprised if Heihachi got snubbed again.

However, more importantly, I don't think Heihachi would really break the internet nor the FGC. I'm not trying to be rude here, but the divide between Smash and the FGC basically prevents this from happening. When something 'breaks the internet' it usually means being close to universally received and generally in a positive manner. In the case of Ultimate, Ridley, K. Rool and B&K were all examples of breaking the internet. Ken did not do this, Terry was a literal who to the uncultured Smash masses...so what makes you think Heihachi would be better received than them to the point of equating a response like B&K? Smash fans already say that they do not want more fighting game characters (much to my disagreement and dismay) because they want characters that only Smash can really get that would never show up in other fighting games. Sure, he is more well known in general than Terry but not really to the Smash community as they are so far removed from the FGC despite being at many major tournaments. This is also why it wouldn't break the FGC at all: Tekken 7 is still going strong after all this time and got lots of DLC, so Heihachi getting into Smash would not only be somewhat expected but much like Terry didn't bring over FGC players, neither will Heihachi. The FGC are normally at odds with Smash due to how ignorant the community is about the legacy of the FGC and their lack of respect or care for anything outside of Smash. If you want proof, just focus on Mike Ross's reaction to Ultimate being the first game announced for EVO 2020 and all the praise Mr. Wizard gave it. Dude looked like he felt he was in the worst timeline and was hoping to go 88 combos per hour to fix it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my predictions changed a little.

Bottom row is honorable mentions, AKA characters I also think are likely but I also have less confidence for.
View attachment 264658
I'm a bit confused on you having less confidence in Waluigi, Lloyd and Crash over Travis, Reimu, Heihachi or even Dante.

I know you love Travis but other than Suda wanting him in an being a friend of Sakurai, he has nothing going for him. I believe there is even proof that he hasn't been considered much like Doom Guy but you would have to check with someone wiser than me on that one.

Reimu has nothing other than that weird music leak thing and that isn't necessarily linked to Smash.

Dante really has nothing other than 'Capcom is likely to get another rep' which isn't foolproof in the slightest.

Heihachi is in a much weaker position than Lloyd. You can argue about anime swordfighters all day, but that doesn't remove his stature in the Smash community as well as his birth on Nintendo's console and the fun stuff he can easily bring.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Griselda Griselda Ashley is one of those who really do not have a chance. In her own series, she is more of a nobody than Geno is and WarioWare isn't really a big factor for Nintendo as much as I love how wacky it is.
This is where we disagree. Ashley has been in way more games than Geno, has also been heavily present in Smash speculation, and even to someone who has zero knowledge of Warioware and Mario RPG, Ashley has a bigger presence in Smash itself as an AT for several games. I massively prefer Geno, but Ashley is likely more well-known, although both are niche.
Dante really has nothing other than 'Capcom is likely to get another rep' which isn't foolproof in the slightest.
There's a couple things here and there, like the Twitter poll, insiders hearing him and DMC games on Switch after Capcom said they'd need DMC on Nintendo first.

Amped_Form

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3498-3780-6793
To everyone complaining that Sakurai won’t confirm whether or not spirits de-confirm—remember that this is the same guy who purposely held off telling us that Shadow the Hedgehog—the candidate most likely to become an Echo Fighter—was still an Assist Trophy until the very last Direct.

But prediction time!

6 - Geno - I had reservations about him opening up the second pass before, but the stars are lining up for him to be the 7th DLC fighter. Rumored Nintendo Direct, the Mar10 Day theories, and whatnot.
7 - Crash Bandicoot - Revealed at E3. Crowd goes wild. He’s got too much going for him now to be a no show.
8 - Lloyd Irving - Fan favorite wanted since Brawl to close out E3. Heihachi could be here as well, but I think that Namco and Sakurai wanna keep him in retirement out of respect. Honestly, he could fit anywhere in the first three slots, possibly swapping with Geno.
9 - Ryu Hayabasa - a relic from the days of NES classics. Plus he fulfills the fighting game quota kinda. Kinda like Terry!
10 - Master Chief - Crowd goes APE**** for him. Nintendo wins E3. Disney wants too much money for Sora, and Nintendo can win without him.
11 - Elma - still closing out with a whimper, but a whimper that people actually want. I believe fully that Xenoblade Chronicles X is getting remastered once the first one releases, and Elma is the perfect shill. They love her so much that they gave her DLC for a game she wasn’t even in!
I like it! It seems pretty realistic to me. It‘s weird that Crash Bandicoot hasn’t even happened yet. Hopefully he gets in.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

Moving on....

Dr. Mario uses the mushroom.

So no

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The only character choices we should make fun of are ones that are obviously joke picks or really do have no chance
So you're basically saying it's alright to make fun of people that have pipedream wants? I don't think that is a smart way of thinking honestly and I think that it is rude and disrespectful to laugh at those with a near to impossible dream.

Without us, that is literally what Geno would be a pipedream. If he get's in, it won't be because he deserves it or he was solely chosen too by Nintendo or Sakurai, it will be because of us the fans that push his inclusion until they and Square-Enix couldn't ignore it no longer.

Goemon is my most wanted character and I consider him a pipedream. Will he ever get in? I doubt it, but I won't stop pushing for him. He got a Mii costume so that gives me a tiny bit of hope for the future.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Sakurai doesn't need a vacation, he needs to retire for the sake of his health otherwise we will drag him down to a early grave.
I really really really hope after this DLC happens that he isnt pressured into doing more.

tbh after seeing this news, the dlc doesnt seem worth it to me anymore, not at the cost of his health

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I really really really hope after this DLC happens that he isnt pressured into doing more.

tbh after seeing this news, the dlc doesnt seem worth it to me anymore, not at the cost of his health
Sakurai has done WAY more than enough for the Smash community. I care more about his health than this stupid *** DLC. We truly don't deserve him at all.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
So you're basically saying it's alright to make fun of people that have pipedream wants? I don't think that is a smart way of thinking honestly and I think that it is rude and disrespectful to laugh at those with a near to impossible dream.

Without us, that is literally what Geno would be a pipedream. If he get's in, it won't be because he deserves it or he was solely chosen too by Nintendo or Sakurai, it will be because of us the fans that push his inclusion until they and Square-Enix couldn't ignore it no longer.

Goemon is my most wanted character and I consider him a pipedream. Will he ever get in? I doubt it, but I won't stop pushing for him. He got a Mii costume so that gives me a tiny bit of hope for the future.
Ha ha, your most wanted is a... mystical ninja mii costume. /s Let's all just no resort to mockery at others expense. Except for those filthy W101 fans, what degenerates.

So Sakurai passed out at the gym a couple of weeks ago

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1235119651614408704?s=19
I've worried about this since the development of Base Smash 4, but now I'm genuinely worried this stupid game is going to kill him, even if he were to drop everything right now. (And knowing him, he's probably gonna keep pushing to make this pass even more all-out than the last one, just because.) I know he's not reading smashboards of all things, but d**nit Sakurai look out for your own health.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Sakurai is truly an inspiration. He is clearly so passionate about his craft, that it’s hard not to be inspired by him. Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life!...but also take care of yourself

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Man, I feel bad for Sakurai. He is pushing himself way too much for his own good. I do hope he retires, or at least takes a vacation after all this. He doesn't deserve to end up in an early grave because of working on some DLC for this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom