• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
FYI, that screenshot of "FMOI questions his sanity" is actually from a Geno Gang Hunger Games we held in the Star Road Discord server earlier tonight. We're working on doing more cool stuff like that (we do HG pretty much weekly over there now), so if you're interested in a Geno Thread Hunger Games, come join the fun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ok guys, i gotta say something, i guess that now i can't say much more against Geno...

You see, as you know, Geno is quite a topic for me, i discussed about him with a good friend, which is friends with a certain someone that they trust... and they told my friend that Geno is the third post Fighter Pass character and that he would be revealed at E3 2020, yeah...
My friend was told that Post Fighter Pass is a mix of First Party and Third Party and will be 6 characters, the first two are first party, 3 and 4 are third party, in the cases of 5 and 6, one is First Party and the other Third Party, though my friend doesn't knows which is which.

My friend told me that he was told the the final Fighter of this fighter pass, and 1, 2 and 3 of FP2.

Apparently, 5 will be revealed in a Wednesday 8 Direct and will be Sora, they were able to gather a good amount of information due to release being so close.
Sora will be released at the beginning of February.
Sora will bring the following:
13 Tracks.
Boss Battles Mode.
Keyblade Graveyard as stage
The Mii Costumes are Chocobo's hat and Gil's Costume returning, Xemnas and Roxas Swordfighers, Larxene Brawler and Xigbar Gunner.

The Spirits are: Heartless, The Guardians of Light, Organization XIII and Lingering Will.

The first Post Fighter Pass character is Byleth, which brings a Monastery stage, Rhea, Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri are Mii Costumes, my friend still doesn't knows the Spirits.

The Second Post Fighter Pass Character is The Legionis from Astral Chain with Astral Plane as stage, Mii Costumes are Jena Anderson, Maximilian Howard, Legion and Raven. Spirits are also unknown

The Third Post Fighter Pass character is... as i said, Geno, i couldn't believe it, but i really trust my Friend, so i can do nothing but actually believe, Bowser Keep is the stage, Costumes are Mallow, Smithy, Red Axem Ranger, Jonathan Jones and Croco.

So obviously i'm a bit letdown for Geno actually joining despite all my fighting against it, but Congratulations i guess, you did it, and at least the other DLC characters are cool for me.
This is some cute as hell bait. Nice try though, kiddo.

FYI, that screenshot of "FMOI questions his sanity" is actually from a Geno Gang Hunger Games we held in the Star Road Discord server earlier tonight. We're working on doing more cool stuff like that (we do HG pretty much weekly over there now), so if you're interested in a Geno Thread Hunger Games, come join the fun.
**** I'm sad I'm missing that. I had to delete discord for personal reasons but once I get my new rig setup I'll be coming back on discord and my first stop will definately be the Star Road server. Then a ton of places FF7 related.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Woah... as I've said many times before, I have never played Super Mario RPG and, as such, I haven't seen much of the game aside from the opening forest area, the fight with Bowser on the chandeliers, and the interior of a ship.

I say that because that screenshot looks really fricken nice. I love that setting. It looks like the battle is taking place in a canyon or mountain range of some sort (maybe a cave?). Regardless, that setting crimson sun in the background with the more muted colors of (what I assume are) the brown cliffside is really a gorgeous sight.

I was already impressed with the set piece of fighting Bowser on chandeliers, but this surpasses that I think. I just love the melancholic nature of the sun and surrounding scenery's colors. Thank you for sharing! I'm sure you Super Mario RPG fans delight in a unacquainted player marveling at a game you all love so much. Hopefully I'll play it soon!
It's of of the best fights in the game. Yaridovich gets a bit of character development ahead of the fight, and then is finally revealed. He's not funny, he's not silly. He has a plan, he executes that plan to successful completion which is a change compared to other bosses so far. It's the first boss fight where you face a real challenge. The step up in difficulty for him is pretty big.

It's one of the best fights in the game, with a nice background to match.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
It's of of the best fights in the game. Yaridovich gets a bit of character development ahead of the fight, and then is finally revealed. He's not funny, he's not silly. He has a plan, he executes that plan to successful completion which is a change compared to other bosses so far. It's the first boss fight where you face a real challenge. The step up in difficulty for him is pretty big.

It's one of the best fights in the game, with a nice background to match.
Yaridovich used to be so difficult, back then. On my most recent playthrough, I wiped the floor with him and felt a mixture of pity and confusion. ..The fact that as a child my strategy for RPGs was 'run from 60% of fights' is probably the reason why; I was just horribly underleveled for the whole game. And since these days I typically fight everything I see, I had the opposite problem by the time I reached him.

His pre-fight build up is nice, yeah. I think I enjoy it particularly because it presents a very eerie 'something's not right in this town' vibe just like Shade Abbey in the original Shining Force - only the reveal here is less unsettling.

Tomasagaz14

Banned via Warnings
I’m the kind of guy who just believes everything when it comes to leaks just to have something to discuss because if it’s fake I don’t have the emotional connection to really be upset and not just shrug it off.

But I don’t just blindly believe leaks either, and my only concern Tomas is that even fairly recently within the last two weeks, you specifically started threads on GameFAQs to borderline-brigade the Geno thread and enjoyed a temporary ban for coming here and intentionally trolling and flaming the thread. That does not mean that I will immediately dismiss you, because I am open to at least considering any possibility, but the timing is suspicious and the person it is coming from even moreso.

If you’re gonna stick around short-term, any more info you can provide on where/who/how you got this info? How long have you had it? Do you personally, assuming you’re being legitimate, consider the person you received this info from to be legitimate?
Yeah, i constantly came here to hate Geno and say that he isn't coming, i can't really say that if he actually Joins, can i?
As i said, a friend knows someone, obviously i can't reveal their identity, i was told this just yesterday, so that's why i suddenly came to say this here, i really trust my friend, so i'm trusting this info,

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I wish more backgrounds in Mario RPG were as detailed as the Yaridovich one. That background looked great even if it didn"t feel consistent with the way the overworld looked. The Bowser/Boomer fights in Bowser's Keep are also awesome looking visually.

I just hope we get some news soon so we can have some fresh speculation. I don't have any idea what is going to happen at this point and I am hoping most of you feel that way too.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Yeah, i constantly came here to hate Geno and say that he isn't coming, i can't really say that if he actually Joins, can i?
As i said, a friend knows someone, obviously i can't reveal their identity, i was told this just yesterday, so that's why i suddenly came to say this here, i really trust my friend, so i'm trusting this info,
Do you seriously think that even the people that you view trustworthy can't lie to you?

Tomasagaz14

Banned via Warnings
Do you seriously think that even the people that you view trustworthy can't lie to you?
I don't see why would he directly lie to me, since we are good pals, at most he could end misinformed, which does happens a lot in Leakers circles.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Hello everyone I must reveal that despite my last year and a half of posting on this thread about how much I like Geno that in reality I hate Geno with every fiber of my being. But my dad works for Nintendo and he just told me Geno is in while i was writing this post so therefore I love him now. Please understand.

Tomasagaz14

Banned via Warnings
Hello everyone I must reveal that despite my last year and a half of posting on this thread about how much I like Geno that in reality I hate Geno with every fiber of my being. But my dad works for Nintendo and he just told me Geno is in while i was writing this post so therefore I love him now. Please understand.
I never said that i love Geno now, i just said that i accept defeat.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
I never said that i love Geno now, i just said that i accept defeat.
You're just gonna have to accept that people don't really believe you, especially since you're someone who has no actual history with leaks of any kind, and the leak you just showcased has several hallmarks of a fake leak.

Tomasagaz14

Banned via Warnings
You're just gonna have to accept that people don't really believe you, especially since you're someone who has no actual history with leaks of any kind, and the leak you just showcased has several hallmarks of a fake leak.
I know that not everyone will believe me, i'm just posting what i know.

D

Deleted member

Except that no one is believing you. Unless you have ACTUAL evidence and we know who the hell this source is, don’t even bother trying.

D

Deleted member

My dad was in the same fraternity as Reggie Fils-Aimé and he told me that Kratos is number 5.

I really trust him and I know not everyone will believe me, I'm just posting what I pretend to know.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Let's move on to something else. One thing that I'm wondering about is how Geno's normal moves (tilts, Smash attacks, etc.) would work. His special seem obvious, but I'm not sure how many options he'd have for melee attacks (even Mega Man, despite being quite projectile-heavy, wasn't purely based around that).

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Let's move on to something else. One thing that I'm wondering about is how Geno's normal moves (tilts, Smash attacks, etc.) would work. His special seem obvious, but I'm not sure how many options he'd have for melee attacks (even Mega Man, despite being quite projectile-heavy, wasn't purely based around that).
My honest opinion on Geno's moveset is that he might be best as sort of a hybrid between Robin and Shiek.

I haven't had a chance to really make a full write up about it but if you are interested, I do have some kind of an idea for his playstyle. It sort of emulates more of a gun style game play that requires recharging after a certain amount has been used up.

Firox

Smash Master
You know guys, if Geno is hated so much for Smash, why not try to get him in all the Mario spinoffs (how this movement started in the first place)?
I made a topic on the Mario Kart 8 DX board on GameFAQs for people to support. If anyone wants to stop by and show some support for Geno in a future Mario Kart, it’d be greatly appreciated. Hope this doesn’t count as spam.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/200276-mario-kart-8-deluxe/78287214
The ironic thing is, Smash inclusion is the method by which a character gets into Mario Kart in the first place. Both Link AND Villager were introduced to Smash before Nintendo even CONCEIVED the idea of putting them in Mario Kart. What's funny is that now that Nintendo realizes the hype of crossovers, were starting to see Mario Kart evolve into Smash Kart. I'm betting money that the next official mainline Mario Kart will feature tons of Non-Mario characters, many of which coming directly from Smash. That said, let's get some GENO, baby, yeah!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The ironic thing is, Smash inclusion is the method by which a character gets into Mario Kart in the first place. Both Link AND Villager were introduced to Smash before Nintendo even CONCEIVED the idea of putting them in Mario Kart. What's funny is that now that Nintendo realizes the hype of crossovers, were starting to see Mario Kart evolve into Smash Kart. I'm betting money that the next official mainline Mario Kart will feature tons of Non-Mario characters, many of which coming directly from Smash.
They better add Pauline in the next console Mario Kart doh.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I've always thought that his basic (jabs, grab attack, dash attack), tilts, air, and smash attacks would be based off of his different weapons he can equip in the game (Finger Shot, Hand Gun, Double Punch, Hand Canon, Star Gun). Some of the moves could be the exact animation of him using those weapons in SMRPG, while others can be variations of their use. His cape could also be used for some of his moves as well.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here's what i think the lineup would probably look like

Fighter 5: Doomguy
I'm sorry fatman, but i feel like you and your sources are being jebaited with the Dovakhin being the final character, like how some leaker thought that steve was getting in instead of Banjo

Fighter 6: Waluigi?
I dunno, i'm just have a gut feeling, plus, he could be a bonus character.

Fighter 7: Geno
We all saw this one coming.

Plus, just a dream of mine, but it would be cool after waluigi and geno they show that more assist trophies and spirits would be upgraded.
Yes! Open the Assist Trophy cells! Krystal come on baby!

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, what would Geno's victory animations be after a match? The only one I can come up with is him saying "I serve a higher authority" given that's one of his most popular quotes.

D

Deleted member

Something doesn't feel right...
meme squad come in!
Please don't.

In regards to the moveset, have we come to a conclusion as to what we think his recovery might be? I've heard many good ideas but it's not an easy one to decipher.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Please don't.

In regards to the moveset, have we come to a conclusion as to what we think his recovery might be? I've heard many good ideas but it's not an easy one to decipher.
The most popular options are...

A) Use "Geno Boost" as some form of UPWARD boost, and make that his recovery. (I personally made it a slow-lift thing like Princess Remedy's Up-B in Slap City in my moveset.)

B) Geno turns into a cannon and fires himself out of himself. It's a half-reference to Geno Flash. Only problem with this is that it's kinda silly, but he is a toy after all.

I've also seen one or two people give him an original recovery based on leaving his puppet body and moving up as a star. Something like Bowser Jr's?

Of course, there is also the Jigglypuff option- make his double jump(s) really good, and give him an Up B that doesn't recover.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So, what would Geno's victory animations be after a match? The only one I can come up with is him saying "I serve a higher authority" given that's one of his most popular quotes.
I've shared this many a time, but I made a moveset post a while back for Geno, all categorized and everything.
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-1511#post-23603157

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I haven't been here since before page 2000. Last thing I remember was Dovahkiin rumors started to pop up. Can anyone bring me up to date?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, I'm in here because you all are mi amici and I want to repeat that people should probably lower their expectations for 5. I sound like a broken record (and probably made this post twice already in two months) but I feel like GameXplain's "speculation" video about a month ago was spot on. Smash doesn't end on high notes. It typically ends on niche characters that either barely anyone wanted or appeals to a very specific demographic:

Smash 64: Ness
Melee: Game and Watch and Roy
Brawl: ROB and Wolf
Smash 4 base: Duck Hunt
Smash 4 DLC: Corrin and Bayo
Ultimate base: Ken and Inceniroar

This is why, regardless of info, 5 was never going to be someone like Sora or Crash. Historical precedent has established that it was going to end on a low note. My advice, tred carefully. The fact that Nintendo basically "warned" us almost four months makes me think it's initially not going to go over well with the Smash fanbase.

There is, however, definitely a bright side to this because I feel history will definitely repeat itself. Hero and Banjo were probably deliberately paired together because, let's face it, Hero alone pissed off a ton of people. Yes, there were definitely people happy but the general reaction I saw was "meh" to "HULK SMASH!" Banjo saved the day, in a way, and I'm pretty certain they're going to do this type of "pairing" again. One semi niche character (at least to the Smash fanbase) followed by at least one megaton that will make people lose their minds. All in all, it'll be a great day for most of the Smash fanbase but, again, 5 will probably be a bitter pill to swallow.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I haven't been here since before page 2000. Last thing I remember was Dovahkiin rumors started to pop up. Can anyone bring me up to date?
There is so much where do I even begin:

- Fatmanonice and Paragon saying Sabi blackmailed people in the industry costing them their jobs.

- Fatmanonice saying Sabi used his or her Smash popularity to boost their profile.

- Nintendo posting a one year Ultimate anniversary picture on Twitter with all the DLC characters in it with Daisy for some odd reason.

- Fatmanonice saying two of his contects said #75 and #76 will be revealed together and one of them said #75, #76, and #77 will all be revealed together.

- Fatmanonice saying #75/FP5 will likely be a western character from what he is hearing from his contects.

- Fatmanonice saying from what he has heard that they might double dip for FP5 basically meaning Master Chief or Steve incoming if it's a western character.

There is a lot more, but I'll just leave it at that. Can't really remember if the Sabi stuff happened before or after 2000. I think it was after.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
- Fatmanonice and Paragon saying Sabi blackmailed people in the industry costing them their jobs.
What the actual feck? What's this about? I missed this bit.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So I'm listening to Gamexplain's Nintendo 2019 Year in Review, and they made a speculation that I thought was kind of interesting.
At 15:13, they go into their predictions about when FP5 will drop. Their idea is that there'll be a separate Smash Direct in January with a more conventional Nintendo Direct in February. I know Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has suggested that there'll most likely be a Direct in January based on when the next wave of amiibos drop, but this actually makes some sense to me. The first general Nintendo Direct of the year has historically taken place either February or March, so it'd be weird to have a general Direct in January, but Smash-centric Directs tend to happen whenever. The last one for Smash 4 happened in December, and the last one before Untimate's release was in early November, so having one in January to reveal FP5 and perhaps Post-Pass Fighter 1 wouldn't be too unthinkable.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A Smash Direct in January is definitely possible given the sheer amount of Smash info that's currently being teased. Pretty much all my contacts believe that January is going to have a least two Smash reveals and people are slowly warming up to "oh baby a triple." My contacts are, however, still really confident Direct so I can ask them if their opinions have changed.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There is so much where do I even begin:

- Fatmanonice saying Sabi used his or her Smash popularity to boost their profile.

- Nintendo posting a one year Ultimate anniversary picture on Twitter with all the DLC characters in it with Daisy for some odd reason.

- Fatmanonice saying two of his contects said #75 and #76 will be revealed together and one of them said #75, #76, and #77 will all be revealed together.

- Fatmanonice saying #75/FP5 will likely be a western character from what he is hearing from his contects.

- Fatmanonice saying from what he has heard that they might double dip for FP5 basically meaning Master Chief or Steve incoming if it's a western character.

There is a lot more, but I'll just leave it at that. Can't really remember if the Sabi stuff happened before or after 2000. I think it was after.
Oh wow, lots happened. I remember the Sabi stuff. Didn't hear about the rest. I thought the western character was supposed to be Bethesda. Is it going to be Master Chief for 5 then Dovahkiin for 6? That would be insane. I just hope it's not Steve. If Fatman's source is right about a triple reveal then we could have Geno revealed within a couple of weeks! Lots of exciting stuff! Thanks for the update!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Smash 4 Base managed to break Smash's fizzled finale tradition by bringing Shulk (showcasing that fan demand and petitions for Xenoblade won), Robin and Lucina (showing Awakenings Smash hit success) and Duck Hunt (one of the most infamous Scrappies in gaming history). The ending's only weak spot was Dark Pit. Sadly, 4's DLC ending managed to reassert that bad finale issue with a vengeance.

Even Nintendo seems to feel that 5 will be a filler character. They have been dragging their feet on revealing them, even with the deadline for release fast approaching, and it hasn't helped that they have repeatedly mentioned that they were ahead of schedule. And Nintendo had nothing to show at the VGAs so it's not like 5 being revealed there would have overshadow their other games (heck, it may have saved the VGAs from being a total borefest). So 5 is ready for fans, but Nintendo probably doesn't think fans are ready for 5.

6 being a fan favorite like Geno, Doom Guy, Dixie, etc would help cover up 5's appeal weakness (assuming 5 really is yawn). And if Geno really does make it, I bet we'll see fan reaction to be neutral to positive, and the haterbase was just some people obsessing over him and being far more obnoxious than any fan ever was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom