• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I'm mostly quibbling over this because the western character slot seems pretty set in stone and not something that's likely to be confused, and also because we don't even really know yet if the Cacodemon leak is actually real or not even after all of this time. I admit that I really want deep inside to have Doomguy as a rep, though, and I am making up every reason possible for there to still be a chance given that these are just rumors at the end of the day, and the character that's being speculated on isn't even definitively set in stone.
All fair points, and I don’t disagree.

Having a Smash direct come and see Dovahkiin, Elma and Geno revealed together would be a dream come true for me (I have a bigger connection to Skyrim than Doom, considering I’ve actually played it, so I’d be elated to have Dovahkiin since Doomguy still has a good chance to come later on his own merits). And then Toad would be my last remaining big want after the latter two.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
1) if you want to quote multiple people at the same time, use the +Quote button (right next to Reply) to avoid double-posting. I merged the posts this time, but I figure I should make you aware of how to do that.

2) Some parts of the Smash fanbase ARE pretty narrow-minded, considering the amount of people who want the third party characters to only be cartoony mascots because the sort-of-realistic-looking characters like Snake and Bayonetta "don't fit", or the ones who don't want third party characters to be included at all because Smash NEEDS to be purely Nintendo again. (or the ones who think that no more Fire Emblem characters should be included, no ifs, ands, or buts... or the ones who claim that certain franchises are niche and shouldn't be in Smash Bros. just because they personally haven't played the games... or the ones who claim that certain characters aren't relevant enough even though the inclusion of K. Rool and Banjo should have killed that argument... I could go on and on with this)
As someone who wanted Terry as long as Geno (not as extreme but was someone I wanted) It was kind of annoying seeing people over and over tell me Sora, Steve, Shantae, freaking Waluigi etc are more worthy and deserve the spot more after Terry was revealed.

Why can't people just enjoy the characters that we get and have fun discovering new gaming experiences. Sure we all have a most wanted, like I do with Geno, but shoot Sakurai and team has been killing it this year with DLC. If Geno gets in, that would only make an excellent variety of DLC even better. Star Wars Battlefront II and Crash Team Racing DLC has been incredible too!

Either way, I just want Geno but as long as a character doesn't hinder his chances, I would welcome them in open arms as well.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
It's actually called setting expectations up way too high. You can speculate, but let's keep things in the realm of possibility.
So pretty much "stop speculating when it doesn't agree with what I think is possible". There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a realist, but you don't need to start getting on people's cases when they set high expectations, if they end up disappointed that's their own fault.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
It's actually called setting expectations up way too high. You can speculate, but let's keep things in the realm of possibility.
I don't get my expectations up too high. Personally I don't believe in a triple reveal in January and I think 2 is still pushing it a little. There is a difference between speculating at all and claiming that there's no such thing as a likely character because we have unpredictable picks like Joker and Terry. Would you have said Ken was likely on the 31st of October, with him being both in Verge's great record of basegame characters and the Grinch leak (so either possibility would have Ken), and the video leak of Ken that dropped a few months before the game? Because I would, and I would say that Geno is pretty likely now for a variety of reasons.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Ok I know I’ve been gone for awhile but I just wanted to say something to the mods.
STEP YOUR GAME UP!
Also sorry for having all caps on but it would take forever for me to retype it so just imagine I’m talking instead of yelling.
THERE IS NO REASON PEOPLE WHO ARE OBVIOUSLY TROLLS CAN JUST COME HERE, RUIN THE COMMUNITY, AND THEN ONLY GET TEMPORARILY BANNED INSTEAD OF PERMABANNED SINCE THATS OBVIOUSLY WHAT YOU SHOULD DO, AND INSTEAD, THE ENTIRE GENO THREAD GETS EFFECTED BY THIS AND IS UNABLE TO TALK ABOUT NORMAL LIFE.
THE FACT THAT THE GENO THREAD ISNT ALLOWED TO JUST TALK TO EACH OTHER ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN GENO IS DUMB, THIS IS ONE OF THE ONLY PLACES ON THE INTERNET WHERE A GROUP OF GENO FANS CAN GET TOGETHER AND TALK AND WE ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT GENO, WHATS SO WRONG WITH TALKING ABOUT OTHER THINGS? I JUST THINK YOU GUYS TAKE YOUR POWER AS MODERATORS EITHER TOO SERIOUSLY OR NOT SERIOUS ENOUGH AND BECUASE OF IT, USER WANIIZ ENDED UP LEAVING COMPLETELY, SO PLEASE, STEP YOUR GAME UP.

Alright that’s all, please take this into consideration mods I just want this community to thrive.

D

Deleted member

So, I'm in here because you all are mi amici and I want to repeat that people should probably lower their expectations for 5. I sound like a broken record (and probably made this post twice already in two months) but I feel like GameXplain's "speculation" video about a month ago was spot on. Smash doesn't end on high notes. It typically ends on niche characters that either barely anyone wanted or appeals to a very specific demographic:

Smash 64: Ness
Melee: Game and Watch and Roy
Brawl: ROB and Wolf
Smash 4 base: Duck Hunt
Smash 4 DLC: Corrin and Bayo
Ultimate base: Ken and Inceniroar

This is why, regardless of info, 5 was never going to be someone like Sora or Crash. Historical precedent has established that it was going to end on a low note. My advice, tred carefully. The fact that Nintendo basically "warned" us almost four months makes me think it's initially not going to go over well with the Smash fanbase.

There is, however, definitely a bright side to this because I feel history will definitely repeat itself. Hero and Banjo were probably deliberately paired together because, let's face it, Hero alone pissed off a ton of people. Yes, there were definitely people happy but the general reaction I saw was "meh" to "HULK SMASH!" Banjo saved the day, in a way, and I'm pretty certain they're going to do this type of "pairing" again. One semi niche character (at least to the Smash fanbase) followed by at least one megaton that will make people lose their minds. All in all, it'll be a great day for most of the Smash fanbase but, again, 5 will probably be a bitter pill to swallow.
Could it possibly be KOS-MOS? I know a lot of people have brought her up lately.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Awhile ago you mentioned that 2020 would see at least seven remakes/remasters/ports/whatever from Nintendo. Do your sources have any leads as to what those could be if that's still within likelihood?

D

Deleted member

Isn’t that the whole point of speculation. To speculate about the things that are and aren’t deemed possible? Your statement makes no sense.

I don't think any of us are seriously considering that a triple reveal is the most likely thing. take 20 cc's of chill and call me in the morning.
Exactly. Fatman brought up that it seemed likely, not that it was definitely happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Just going to drop into this thread and say this right now.

Fatman, I really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. I tried to believe that you were simply speculating, and nothing else. In fact, at one point, I even was starting to lean toward you possibly telling the truth.

However, when you make claims like “we are getting a triple reveal!!!”, that is EXACTLY the reason why people don’t take your claims seriously outside of this thread. Not to mention using Paragon (lol!) as a source, of all people. And don’t even try to pull the “I’m just speculating!!!” card. When you say stuff like “my contacts told me”, that crosses into leak and rumor territory. You are no longer just speculating at that point.

All I am saying to this thread is this: I highly advise to not believe ANYTHING that comes out of his mouth if you don’t want to be disappointed for yet another Smash speculation season. People like Sabi and Burb (not an insider, but proved he was lying about “retiring”) have already called his credibility into question. If you continue to believe his claims after all of this, you are simply letting your hopes for Geno and Waluigi clouding your vision, and not realizing that you are very likely being fed misinformation.

Also Megadoomer Megadoomer , wasn’t there a rule after the VGA incident that discussion should ONLY be about Geno? Fatman has broken that rule time and time again, even after getting banned for a few days.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ok I know I’ve been gone for awhile but I just wanted to say something to the mods.
STEP YOUR GAME UP!
Also sorry for having all caps on but it would take forever for me to retype it so just imagine I’m talking instead of yelling.
THERE IS NO REASON PEOPLE WHO ARE OBVIOUSLY TROLLS CAN JUST COME HERE, RUIN THE COMMUNITY, AND THEN ONLY GET TEMPORARILY BANNED INSTEAD OF PERMABANNED SINCE THATS OBVIOUSLY WHAT YOU SHOULD DO, AND INSTEAD, THE ENTIRE GENO THREAD GETS EFFECTED BY THIS AND IS UNABLE TO TALK ABOUT NORMAL LIFE.
THE FACT THAT THE GENO THREAD ISNT ALLOWED TO JUST TALK TO EACH OTHER ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN GENO IS DUMB, THIS IS ONE OF THE ONLY PLACES ON THE INTERNET WHERE A GROUP OF GENO FANS CAN GET TOGETHER AND TALK AND WE ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT GENO, WHATS SO WRONG WITH TALKING ABOUT OTHER THINGS? I JUST THINK YOU GUYS TAKE YOUR POWER AS MODERATORS EITHER TOO SERIOUSLY OR NOT SERIOUS ENOUGH AND BECUASE OF IT, USER WANIIZ ENDED UP LEAVING COMPLETELY, SO PLEASE, STEP YOUR GAME UP.

Alright that’s all, please take this into consideration mods I just want this community to thrive.
If you want to discuss things that aren't related to Geno, there are several social threads on this forum for that. You don't have to stick exclusively to one thread, and if you're worried that people are going to troll/bug you for supporting Geno or what have you, that's what the report button is for. (though they really shouldn't do that; everybody's here because we all are interested in who's going to get into this roster, and we're all going to have picks that others are going to find unusual, obscure, etc.)

It's not like the Geno thread is being singled out here; every single character support thread should generally stick to discussing their character of choice. The discussion may veer off on tangents from time to time, but it will generally work its way back to the character eventually. (the problem is that the Geno thread moves so quickly that these tangents can turn into several-page-long discussions about whether Star Wars: The Last Jedi was a good or bad movie, or whether or not pineapple tastes good on pizza)

Also Megadoomer Megadoomer , wasn’t there a rule after the VGA incident that discussion should ONLY be about Geno? Fatman has broken that rule time and time again, even after getting banned for a few days.
Leaks are allowed to be discussed. The problem is bringing in off-site drama surrounding leakers, such as arguments between Sabi and Fatman. Fatman's ban was unrelated to this; it was for flaming and harassing other users.

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
I'm so happy people got the Freakazoid! joke. <3 Also having 3 characters revealed in January should prolly be treated as a best case scenario so we don't get burned if it doesn't pan out.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Could it possibly be KOS-MOS? I know a lot of people have brought her up lately.
I'd be pretty happy with that; having KOS-MOS then Geno would be great for me. Sure, I know it's not guaranteed or anything silly like that but I'd really like it. (Plus I feel like they have some similarities since they both have lots of weapons)

Plank08

Smash Lord
If you want to discuss things that aren't related to Geno, there are several social threads on this forum for that. You don't have to stick exclusively to one thread, and if you're worried that people are going to troll/bug you for supporting Geno or what have you, that's what the report button is for. (though they really shouldn't; everybody's here because we all are interested in who's going to get into this roster, and we're all going to have picks that others are going to find unusual, obscure, etc.)

It's not like the Geno thread is being singled out here; every single character support thread should generally stick to discussing their character of choice. The discussion may veer off on tangents from time to time, but it will generally work its way back to the character eventually. (the problem is that the Geno thread moves so quickly that these tangents can turn into several-page-long discussions about whether Star Wars: The Last Jedi was a good or bad movie, or whether or not pineapple tastes good on pizza)
Ok thanks but what about banning trolls

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I do think two reveals are likely. Only cuz if it’s a second pass that’s coming out they will likely provide a preview for content in order to get people to purchase the pass in advance. Similar to Piranha plant.
And the last time we had this much time pass between directs 2 characters were announced around the same time.

As far as who fp5 is, I have my doubts it’s a character who is owned by a western company. unless it’s master chief or Sora. Only cuz those two come from companies with a global presence. Maybe someone from Activision like Tracer or Crash.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ok thanks but what about banning trolls
If you have a problem with our moderation of this thread or of specific users, head over to Help from a Smashboards Admin forum with your grievances. We are happy to review the activity of certain users and determine if an indefinite trolling ban is necessary. What you are doing here is not contributing to the conversation nor to the banning of the alleged problem users.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Why, may I ask? What makes it realistic?
1. Smash website was updated for space for 5, 6, and 7 shortly after Terry's reveal.

2. By all accounts, 5 will probably go over about as well as a sour milk filled punch bowl. That's why I think a buffer or two will be needed to stop that potential salt avalanche.

3. Insiders and major gaming channels being a little too coy for their own good: suggesting 5 will be a flat note and 6 and 7 will "break rules."

4. Every stand alone character CGI trailer has been followed up by a presentation that had two. Ridley followed by Simon and K. Rool, Isabelle followed by Keniroar and WoL, and Joker followed by Hero and Banjo. This suggests Terry will be followed up by a presentation with two trailers, likely 5 and 7.

5. The confusing nature of character 6. Always suggested to either be a standalone bonus or part of a pack totally unrelated to its content. This suggests a character that exists outside the passes and likely wouldn't have a full on CGI trailer, just like Plant. Food for thought, 6's Mii costumes are supposedly not supposed to related to 6 at all. This isn't too weird given that Rex was technically Plant's Mii costume and Banjo's was just **** all.

6. The Smash YouTube channel has been updated with minor touch ups multiple times since November. Nobody is exactly sure of the full nature of these touchups and old ass videos were made private for some odd reason.

7. Insiders and speculators alike suggesting that Season 2 will be a hard return to fan favorite characters. This is another of the few things my contacts and the people in my fact checking/cross checking circle full on agree on, even if not everyone agrees on the names heard.

8. Cacomallow, as I explained earlier, suggests one of the hats is pack 5 and the other is pack 7. Because it's unlikely that the Fighter's Pass packs will double dip company wise, this suggests that, if real, Cacodemon is part of Pack 5 and Mallow is part of Pack 7. This lines up with the intel that 5 is supposed to be a serious Western character from a yet unrepresented company while Season 2 is supposedly a hard steer back to fan favorites.

9. Supports both Power of Six theory and Power of Two theory. Power of Six theory suggests that Hero was originally supposed to have Geno and Chocobo while 5 was supposed to have Rathalos, Monster Hunter, Lloyd, and Gil: all swordsmen, all fantasy elements, and three have armor and helmets. Thematically, fits together. Groovy.

Now, Power of Two theory suggests that the Mii costume formula was changed so that each pack would get 2 Smash 4 DLC costumes. So far, all these costumes have been related pairs. Tales and Knuckles. Zero and Protoman. Akira and Jacky. Same company, same franchise. Going off this, we can infer that 5's pairing will be Rathalos and Monster Hunter. Also groovy.

Now, here comes a fun theory. Geno and Chocobo were the first Mii costumes "removed", right? Wouldn't that potentially suggest that they would be the first ones to be added back in? Now, remember, the rumor about 6 is that all six of their Mii costumes are totally brand new but unrelated to the character. This means that Chocobo and Geno can't come with 6, with their earliest possible addition being 7. Now, this makes sense if 7 really is the start of "Season 2" and demonstrates that the Smash 4 costume pairings will likely continue until all 15 third party Smash 4 DLC costumes are added back into the game. Let's go to the chalk board...

Here are the current missing "pairs":

-Rathalos and Monster Hunter
-Geno and Chocobo
-X and EXE
-Lloyd and Gil
-Heihachi

We've already established that Rathalos and Monster Hunter will probably be coming with 5 and Geno and Chocobo will be coming with 7 based on our theory, right? This suggests the other pairs will probably come back with other characters, possibly in the order they were taken out. Fun stuff. Brass tacks: this means the removed Square Enix costumes would be added back in first, at the very least, supported by the existence of Cacomallow.

10. Geno being 77 would just be kinda neat, don't ya think? 7 stars? Watta knee slapper, amirite? The prospect certainly raises a warm, hardy laugh from my breast and out onto the open world. So, 5 (CGI trailer), 6 (no CGI trailer), and 7 (CGI trailer) lines up with this assessment.

So, uh, yeah, that's just my speculation on things. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but, uh, January should be fun nevertheless, right? If we don't get a triple reveal we at least get a public hanging, amirite? C'mon! Let's entertain the weird and wild while we're still young and not totally jaded by the cruelty of the world! Still, fun times ahead, at least I think so. Let's start the new year with a bang, shall we?

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Isn’t that the whole point of speculation. To speculate about the things that are and aren’t deemed possible? Your statement makes no sense.
Speculating that there going to be a triple reveal is really out of the realm of possibility. It's like speculating if the tomorrow's weather going to be raining, cloudy, or sunny and someone says they believing it's going to be raining jelly beans.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Just going to drop into this thread and say this right now.

Fatman, I really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. I tried to believe that you were simply speculating, and nothing else. In fact, at one point, I even was starting to lean toward you possibly telling the truth.

However, when you make claims like “we are getting a triple reveal!!!”, that is EXACTLY the reason why people don’t take your claims seriously outside of this thread. Not to mention using Paragon (lol!) as a source, of all people. And don’t even try to pull the “I’m just speculating!!!” card. When you say stuff like “my contacts told me”, that crosses into leak and rumor territory. You are no longer just speculating at that point.

All I am saying to this thread is this: I highly advise to not believe ANYTHING that comes out of his mouth if you don’t want to be disappointed for yet another Smash speculation season. People like Sabi and Burb (not an insider, but proved he was lying about “retiring”) have already called his credibility into question. If you continue to believe his claims after all of this, you are simply letting your hopes for Geno and Waluigi clouding your vision, and not realizing that you are very likely being fed misinformation.

If you have any problems or doubts about Fatman you can just talk to him on DM's or even Discord, bringing back the whole "calling out" bs is pointless and doesn't do anything good to the thread

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speculating that there going to be a triple reveal is really out of the realm of possibility. It's like speculating if the tomorrow's weather going to be raining, cloudy, or sunny and someone says they believing it's going to be raining jelly beans.
Considering we got 5 reveals in one direct, regardless if they were echos, it’s never out of the possibility. And your comparison makes no sense.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
2. By all accounts, 5 will probably go over about as well as a sour milk filled punch bowl. That's why I think a buffer or two will be needed to stop that potential salt avalanche.
This part seems weird to me. Sakurai picks characters from franchises that are either long-requested (Banjo), have an extremely high quality (Joker), or have a long history behind them (Hero, Terry), and he apparently fumbles it on what was going to be (before the additional DLC characters were announced) the last character in Smash Ultimate?

Mind you, I realize that some characters (at least from what I saw) were met with disinterest or dislike, but that was due to the people reacting to them being uninformed, not caring to look into the series in question, not being fans of RPGs/fighting games, or things like that. For the most part (I think), people understood why they got in. (or at least, it was easy enough to justify it)

I have my doubts about all of this, to say the least, but hopefully, we'll see how much truth there is to this in a week or two. (at least, I HOPE we get a Nintendo Direct at the start of January - we haven't gotten a full-fledged one since September)

Last edited:

Deity Madason

Smash Cadet
Life lesson guys

If you start using phrases like "my source" it's gonna be considered a leak. I don't know how that could be called speculation.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Not really? We got a triple reveal in the initial E3 (technically a ‘however many veterans + the triple’ reveal, but you know), a quintuple reveal in the Smash direct, and a triple reveal in the last direct before release.

We already had a triplet of triple (and higher) reveals, including one without any echo fighters. It may be more pragmatic to assume we won’t get one, but it’s far from unrealistic to speculate, considering Isabelle is the only non-DLC fighter who wasn’t revealed in a triple (or higher).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This part seems weird to me. Sakurai picks characters from franchises that are either long-requested (Banjo), have an extremely high quality (Joker), or have a long history behind them (Hero, Terry), and he apparently fumbles it on what was going to be (before the additional DLC characters were announced) the last character in Smash Ultimate?

Mind you, I realize that some characters (at least from what I saw) were met with disinterest or dislike, but that was due to the people reacting to them being uninformed, not caring to look into the series in question, not being fans of RPGs/fighting games, or things like that. For the most part (I think), people understood why they got in. (or at least, it was easy enough to justify it)

I have my doubts about all of this, to say the least, but hopefully, we'll see how much truth there is to this in a week or two. (at least, I HOPE we get a Nintendo Direct at the start of January - we haven't gotten a full-fledged one since September)
Uh, Megadoomer, could you change the "diarrhea filled punch bowl" thing in what you quoted to "soul milk filled punch bowl", please? As I said before, that was making me almost vomit and made me gag.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Anyway, about your points on the triple reveal possibly being realistic, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I have mostly one thing to say...

I dunno about what you said about Fighter 5 being flat, but those Smash Youtube channel updates...

Weren't they supposed to be updates making previously public videos into private videos instead of making private videos for new ones?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Uh, Megadoomer, could you change the thing in what you quoted to "soul milk filled punch bowl", please? As I said before, that was making me almost vomit and made me gag.
Thanks for letting me know; I saw your earlier post and I changed it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Thanks for letting me know; I saw your earlier post and I changed it.
Thanks so much, Megadoomer. I appreciate it.

That said, if Geno gets a Spirit Board like previous DLC characters, well, I am not sure if this has been asked yet, but what characters from SMRPG would you like to see as spirits on that board?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Life lesson guys

If you start using phrases like "my source" it's gonna be considered a leak. I don't know how that could be called speculation.
A leak implies 100% certainty, something I don't have. The triple reveal theory is mine and mine alone because, like I said, the people I talk to are expecting a double at best. Like I said, speculation because these aren't facts and can't be proven without a shadow of a doubt. There's where the difference lies. A leak is when you say something will absolutely happen, hands down or not. Leaks deal with absolutes, 0% and 100%. Speculation deals with everything in between.

D

Deleted member

Haradas comments make me seriously doubt that.
Oh yeah Katshuhiro Harada director of Tekken recently said there were no plans for a HD collection right? Don't know if that hurts her chances. But yeah definetly a blow to them. Oh well would have been fine with her. Thanks for the response awnsers my question and I don 't want to pester Fatmanonice with stuff. Much obliged!

OffBi

Smash Ace
Thanks so much, Megadoomer. I appreciate it.

That said, if Geno gets a Spirit Board like previous DLC characters, well, I am not sure if this has been asked yet, but what characters from SMRPG would you like to see as spirits on that board?
Gaz and Axem rangers for example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom