• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Don't say the 'S' name, it's jinxed! You'll get the thread locked or us kidnapped like if you say Candle Jack. It's a bad id--

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For two days I've been sitting on a rumor from one of my contacts because I was trying to make sense of it. Their rumor was that there was going to be 6 characters after 5 and I kept thinking to myself "that's kind of weird" and then something clicked. No, it's not! It's simply a repeat of the Fighter's Pass if you include Plant! Here's where things get nutty based on my own cross-checking with other contacts...

5 finishes the Fighter's Pass.

6 doesn't kick off Season 2... It's a bonus but, instead of just a bonus character, it's a bonus pack! Yes, you still pay for it but it's a full pack of content!

7 kicks off Season 2!

It makes so much sense! This is another reason why I'm entertaining the triple reveal idea. This is why 6 is so weird! It's because it's an in-between that doesn't truly belong to Season 1 or 2 just like how Plant didn't truly belong to the Fighter's Pass! Eureka! THIS is why Cacodemon and Mallow would have been shown together! It wasn't showcasing pack 5 and 6... It was showcasing pack 5 and 7, the end of Season 1 and the beginning of Season 2! We may be unto something lads!

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
For two days I've been sitting on a rumor from one of my contacts because I was trying to make sense of it. Their rumor was that there was going to be 6 characters after 5 and I kept thinking to myself "that's kind of weird" and then something clicked. No, it's not! It's simply a repeat of the Fighter's Pass if you include Plant! Here's where things get nutty based on my own cross-checking with other contacts...

6 doesn't kick off Season 2... It's a bonus but, instead of just a bonus character, it's a bonus pack! Yes, you still pay for it but it's a full pack of content!

7 kicks off Season 2!

It makes so much sense! This is another reason why I'm entertaining the triple reveal idea. This is why 6 is so weird! It's because it's an in-between that doesn't truly belong to Season 1 or 2 just like how Plant didn't truly belong to the Fighter's Pass! Eureka! THIS is why Cacodemon and Mallow would have been shown together! It wasn't showcasing pack 5 and 6... It was showcasing pack 5 and 7, the end of Season 1 and the beginning of Season 2! We may be unto something lads!
Wait, isn't that the same thing Tom said earlier here?
EDIT: well not exactly the same, but he did say that there were 6 character after the pass

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

7 kicks off Season 2!

****! Where is that damn Direct! I'm getting real excited to know who the next 3 characters are.

D

Deleted member

Brawl: ROB and Wolf
Over the years, I've grown to love ROB and Wolf and Smash would feel just a tad empty without them now considering they're staples to the roster imo.

BUT... I still can't get over how hard we got cucked by that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
The interesting thing about Fatman’s dot-connecting is that he’s simultaneously got rumors that basically state that FP5 is Dovahkiin instead of Doomguy, but then he also has rumors that state that 6 is a bonus pack with a character that has Mii costumes from a completely different series rather than its own.

Like Dovahkiin with Doom costumes, such as a Cacodemon hat.

Is there any chance that the two rumors are actually being mixed up and Dovahkiin is the bonus 6 western character with a different series for its Mii Costumes, leaving FP5 to be someone completely different and mostly unexpected?

Mind you, I don’t want this outcome because I’m personally holding out that 6 is Elma with all the XCX content that the base game is missing because of the Sawano music rights issue, but I throw it out there anyways.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Over the years, I've grown to love ROB and Wolf and Smash would feel just a tad empty without them now considering they're staples to the roster imo.

BUT... I still can't get over how hard we got cucked by that.
Let's be honest, Wolf was a pleasant surprise even though he was just a semi-clone of Fox.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Watch as that’s how Minecraft content happens.

“We wanted to include Minecraft in Smash Ultimate, but we had difficulty turning the protagonist into a playable character. However, we really wanted to do something special for such a popular game, so coming along with Master Chief...”

Bonus Pack #1: Minecraft

Stage: Overworld
Spirit Board: Minecraft
Mii Costumes: Steve, Alex, Diamond Armor, Creeper Head

I could absolutely see them doing something like that for $3-4 a piece, would be a great way to include series that might not necessarily work as playable characters.

Or it could be something totally out of left field, like Geno with a Three Houses stage and board.
But a playable character would work, there’s no reason it wouldn’t...certainly if a stage works, as Steve is treated as a character by Mojang despite what some ignorant people say (just look at their instagram, merch, the website, some videos, some employees liking the idea of him in Smash...and he and Alex are always referred to by name and are the stars/mascots of the game), and there’s nothing saying Steve couldn’t be in alongside Chief and Banjo...

Some people like to complain about how Steve would work or be animated without considering official animations/trailers by Mojang, or considering Minecraft’s unique items + blocks and a lot which no current character uses, but imo he would look perfectly fine and he would definitely have a unique, balanced moveset; he would especially look fine for those who think he wouldn’t if they think a full-body Mii costume would somehow look fine with bendy limbs, and if a stage would still look fine with Mario on it (I think it would)...

I’m sorry; I just don’t get why it feels as if Steve isn’t being put on the same level as Chief; it even feels as if Steve was completely discarded as a possibility by some after Banjo even for after the pass, yet Chief is perfectly exempt from this...(mainly feel like this because of some posts in Newcomer Speculation though...)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we do get a Smash Direct, I hope they reveal the Hero amiibo/s on it.

I’m gonna fight my parents to preorder that/those amiibo as quick as possible seeing how Cloud is rare as heck.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord

7 kicks off Season 2!

Oh yeah!
PicsArt_12-29-03.18.27.png

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman

7 kicks off Season 2!

I mean, it's very plausible that FP5 gets revealed along somebody else, otherwise they would have been announced at the end of Terry's showcase. The only possibility in which I see FP5 be announced alone would be at the end of a general Direct, but it's a very real possibility that they're preparing a Smash direct to reveal FP5 and the two extra fighters you're talking about, which would explain why Geno and Doom Guy would be revealed together without any of the two being part of the first Fighter's Pass.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
God I hope both Doomguy and Geno get in. Geno's super likely but Doomguy is hanging on by a thread here. Still, if FP5 is Dohvakiin then I can't be mad- it's Skyrim in Smash.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I know that not everyone will believe me, i'm just posting what i know.
It’s the fact you’re trying to pose like a leaker by using things like “leaks don’t always come true”. Like we get it, you don’t care for Geno. Don’t come back here dude just to make fake lies so the younger guys and gals believe you.

Deity Madason

Smash Cadet
Hero alone pissed off a ton of people. Yes, there were definitely people happy but the general reaction I saw was "meh" to "HULK SMASH!" Banjo saved the day, in a way, and I'm pretty certain they're going to do this type of "pairing" again.
Pretty sure Banjo is good deal less known World wide that Hero. Also please tell me in what world is a Street Fighter and Pokemon rep Neiche.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Pretty sure Banjo is good deal less known World wide that Hero. Also please tell me in what world is a Street Fighter and Pokemon rep Neiche.
Not niche, just that Ken and Incineroar aren't as exciting as Ridley, King K. Rool, or Simon. Also, Dragon Quest is really only known in Japan- Banjo is known in Europe and Americas (as well as Asia, just not as much).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't really want to fight about this but my point was "within the Smash fanbase" people weren't super excited for Hero, Ken, or Inceniroar. No, those franchises aren't niche in an absolute sense (all are million sellers, obviously), only in the sense that there wasn't a ton of support for them in the Smash fanbase.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
The interesting thing about Fatman’s dot-connecting is that he’s simultaneously got rumors that basically state that FP5 is Dovahkiin instead of Doomguy, but then he also has rumors that state that 6 is a bonus pack with a character that has Mii costumes from a completely different series rather than its own.

Like Dovahkiin with Doom costumes, such as a Cacodemon hat.

Is there any chance that the two rumors are actually being mixed up and Dovahkiin is the bonus 6 western character with a different series for its Mii Costumes, leaving FP5 to be someone completely different and mostly unexpected?

Mind you, I don’t want this outcome because I’m personally holding out that 6 is Elma with all the XCX content that the base game is missing because of the Sawano music rights issue, but I throw it out there anyways.
I don't think so, as the idea of 5 being a western pick is unanimous among all four sources, plus I can't help but feel that the Caco leak doesn't really line up with Fighter #5 anyways.

I don't really want to fight about this but my point was "within the Smash fanbase" people weren't super excited for Hero, Ken, or Inceniroar. No, those franchises aren't niche in an absolute sense (all are million sellers, obviously), only in the sense that there wasn't a ton of support for them in the Smash fanbase.
That's a really narrow mindset to have considering that Dragon Quest is the most iconic RPG series in Japan, and is a major flagship series in its own right.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I think a reveal is going to happen in January but I am not sure if it will be a dedicated Smash Direct instead of a normal Smash Direct.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That's a really narrow mindset to have considering that Dragon Quest is the most iconic RPG series in Japan, and is a major flagship series in its own right.
1) if you want to quote multiple people at the same time, use the +Quote button (right next to Reply) to avoid double-posting. I merged the posts this time, but I figure I should make you aware of how to do that.

2) Some parts of the Smash fanbase ARE pretty narrow-minded, considering the amount of people who want the third party characters to only be cartoony mascots because the sort-of-realistic-looking characters like Snake and Bayonetta "don't fit", or the ones who don't want third party characters to be included at all because Smash NEEDS to be purely Nintendo again. (or the ones who think that no more Fire Emblem characters should be included, no ifs, ands, or buts... or the ones who claim that certain franchises are niche and shouldn't be in Smash Bros. just because they personally haven't played the games... or the ones who claim that certain characters aren't relevant enough even though the inclusion of K. Rool and Banjo should have killed that argument... I could go on and on with this)

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
*Seeing people expecting a triple reveal in January*

So we haven't learned anything from the Video Game Awards fiasco. Cool.
I'm still in Awe after no big reveals for anything at the Game Awards. Or, more realistically, the League of Legends/Magic the Gathering awards. :mybodyisreggie:

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Let's move on to something else. One thing that I'm wondering about is how Geno's normal moves (tilts, Smash attacks, etc.) would work. His special seem obvious, but I'm not sure how many options he'd have for melee attacks (even Mega Man, despite being quite projectile-heavy, wasn't purely based around that).
Well, I think the obvious choice for his Nair would be that spin attack he does on Bowyer in the cutscene before his fight. Other than that, his Double Punch weapon is really easy to imagine as his F-smash, sort of like Mega Man's, but it explodes at the end (possibly with a timed hit?). Most of his normals could probably be generic, non-referential moves like most characters have, like a 1-2 punch and a blast of his gun for his jab, or a quick roundhouse kick as his F-tilt.
The ironic thing is, Smash inclusion is the method by which a character gets into Mario Kart in the first place. Both Link AND Villager were introduced to Smash before Nintendo even CONCEIVED the idea of putting them in Mario Kart. What's funny is that now that Nintendo realizes the hype of crossovers, were starting to see Mario Kart evolve into Smash Kart. I'm betting money that the next official mainline Mario Kart will feature tons of Non-Mario characters, many of which coming directly from Smash. That said, let's get some GENO, baby, yeah!
Listen, if it means we get R.O.B. back in Mario Kart, then I'm sold.
I just want my boy to come back...

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I don't think so, as the idea of 5 being a western pick is unanimous among all four sources, plus I can't help but feel that the Caco leak doesn't really line up with Fighter #5 anyways.
I’m aware that all his sources agree that FP5 is the western character that shall not be named (but is obviously a Bethesda character because the only other choice it could be is Spyro or an Overwatch character over Crash, and Fatman already said it’s not Activision-Blizzard), what I’m wondering is if they’re mistakenly separating two rumors - 1) FP5 is western, going to be a character from the same company as a highly-wanted character amongst the fan base but not that character, leading to seeming disappointment; and 2) 6 is a character that has Mii costumes, not from it’s own series, but from another series by the same company - when they’re actually one-and-the-same. Even now, we kind of seem to be expecting that the Cacodemon hat will come with Dovahkiin if he’s FP5, which itself could be an indication (just for FP5), but I’m moreso questioning whether it’s likely in the other direction, where they’re correct but the Western character is actually the bonus character in-between the two passes instead.

Geno’s chances aren’t affected by it though, I don’t think. As long as the hat shows up, it doesn’t matter whether it comes with 5, 6, 7 or 8

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
I’m aware that all his sources agree that FP5 is the western character that shall not be named (but is obviously a Bethesda character because the only other choice it could be is Spyro or an Overwatch character over Crash, and Fatman already said it’s not Activision-Blizzard), what I’m wondering is if they’re mistakenly separating two rumors - 1) FP5 is western, going to be a character from the same company as a highly-wanted character amongst the fan base but not that character, leading to seeming disappointment; and 2) 6 is a character that has Mii costumes, not from it’s own series, but from another series by the same company - when they’re actually one-and-the-same. Even now, we kind of seem to be expecting that the Cacodemon hat will come with Dovahkiin if he’s FP5, which itself could be an indication (just for FP5), but I’m moreso questioning whether it’s likely in the other direction, where they’re correct but the Western character is actually the bonus character in-between the two passes instead.

Geno’s chances aren’t affected by it though, I don’t think. As long as the hat shows up, it doesn’t matter whether it comes with 5, 6, 7 or 8
I'm mostly quibbling over this because the western character slot seems pretty set in stone and not something that's likely to be confused, and also because we don't even really know yet if the Cacodemon leak is actually real or not even after all of this time. I admit that I really want deep inside to have Doomguy as a rep, though, and I am making up every reason possible for there to still be a chance given that these are just rumors at the end of the day, and the character that's being speculated on isn't even definitively set in stone.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

7 kicks off Season 2!

Awww sh**! We getting Goomba as Bonus Character #2!!! LET'S GO!!!! GOOMBA MAINS RISE UP!!!

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

7 kicks off Season 2!

To repeat the off-quoted phrase
538DA129-A1ED-4C14-BF8A-53BAC0CD3276.png

With apologies to whoever I stole this image from

MisterMike

Smash Champion
*Seeing people expecting a triple reveal in January*

So we haven't learned anything from the Video Game Awards fiasco. Cool.
Speak for yourself, man.
Call me skeptical if you'd like, but I have a hard time believing we'd get even 2 characters for this. Sure, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has laid out why they most likely are ahead of schedule, and I know this is the first Direct of the year, but I can't help but feel it a bit unrealistic to expect anything more than one fighter reveal. Usually big reveals like that would be left for E3 or something like that. I know they've shown off more than one character during other Directs in the past, but that was in the lead up to the game's release, and they said they intended to reveal every fighter coming to the base game before it comes out, so it'd make sense for them to reveal a couple of characters at one time during non-E3 events.

They may be ahead of schedule, but busting your proverbial nut during the first Direct of the year would leave even less for later in the year, which seems rather counter-intuitive to me. I think they'd be more likely to just space things out a bit more like they've done thus far, maybe splurging a bit around E3 time since it's a pretty big event. And I'm not even considering a triple reveal for the next Direct, that's Pie-in-the-Sky levels of wishful thinking if you ask me. Of course, it sounds really great, so I'd love to be wrong.

1) if you want to quote multiple people at the same time, use the +Quote button (right next to Reply) to avoid double-posting. I merged the posts this time, but I figure I should make you aware of how to do that.
Also, you can highlight any text in a post and a little bubble will appear that allows you to either quote or reply to that specific comment. It's really handy!

Awww sh**! We getting Goomba as Bonus Character #2!!! LET'S GO!!!! GOOMBA MAINS RISE UP!!!
GOOMBA GANG!! GOOMBA GANG!!

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
But a playable character would work, there’s no reason it wouldn’t...certainly if a stage works, as Steve is treated as a character by Mojang despite what some ignorant people say (just look at their instagram, merch, the website, some videos, some employees liking the idea of him in Smash...and he and Alex are always referred to by name and are the stars/mascots of the game), and there’s nothing saying Steve couldn’t be in alongside Chief and Banjo...

Some people like to complain about how Steve would work or be animated without considering official animations/trailers by Mojang, or considering Minecraft’s unique items + blocks and a lot which no current character uses, but imo he would look perfectly fine and he would definitely have a unique, balanced moveset; he would especially look fine for those who think he wouldn’t if they think a full-body Mii costume would somehow look fine with bendy limbs, and if a stage would still look fine with Mario on it (I think it would)...

I’m sorry; I just don’t get why it feels as if Steve isn’t being put on the same level as Chief; it even feels as if Steve was completely discarded as a possibility by some after Banjo even for after the pass, yet Chief is perfectly exempt from this...(mainly feel like this because of some posts in Newcomer Speculation though...)
The reason for that is that Steve was apparently flat-out official Microsoft-approved leakbait for Banjo(though I forget who exactly said that among the two that should not be named/Fatman/Nazyrus), and Chief wasn’t.

As for the moveset thing, that was just more of a dialogue example than anything, because literally trying to explain the leakbait concept would be something they’d never want to even remotely approach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom