• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Does anyone have a copy of an image of a Geno hat. I need it for memes.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
nessdeltarune00 nessdeltarune00

Let's say that you full on admit that my speculation is right. Let's take a quick visit to another thread, shall we?

https://smashboards.com/threads/there-is-one-they-fear-dragonborn-shouts-them-down.450437/

Count the pages and posts. Now that's been established, let's go to another thread:

https://smashboards.com/threads/at-smashs-gate-the-doom-marine-doomguy-doom-slayer-thread.446546/

Count the pages and posts.

I think he was referring to the world beyond the desires and speculations of niche web forums like Smashboards, where The Elder Scrolls is a multi-million dollar franchise.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Let's say that you full on admit that my speculation is right. Let's take a quick visit to another thread, shall we?

https://smashboards.com/threads/there-is-one-they-fear-dragonborn-shouts-them-down.450437/

Count the pages and posts. Now that's been established, let's go to another thread:

https://smashboards.com/threads/at-smashs-gate-the-doom-marine-doomguy-doom-slayer-thread.446546/

The number of posts in Smashboards threads aren't exactly a flawless metric for how popular a character is in the Smash fandom. For example, we can be pretty confident that Geno's a popular choice here on Smashboards, but I'm not sure if that can be translated to the English-speaking fandom as a whole, let alone the entire Smash fandom.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, anyways, I am surprised those like Wynn don't seem to understand how speculation works. I mean...

https://smashboards.com/forums/newcomer-speculation.584/

Doesn't it say under Newcomer Speculation here...

"Hopes and dreams are what this forum runs on. Speculate to your heart's content!"

And nothing much, if at all in doing the opposite, as being realistic or thinking someone is not getting in, as with the "Hopes and dreams" part suggesting the forum is for the opposite of doing?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think he was referring to the world beyond the desires and speculations of niche web forums like Smashboards, where The Elder Scrolls is a multi-million dollar franchise.
And yet, I already addressed that earlier today.

I don't really want to fight about this but my point was "within the Smash fanbase" people weren't super excited for Hero, Ken, or Inceniroar. No, those franchises aren't niche in an absolute sense (all are million sellers, obviously), only in the sense that there wasn't a ton of support for them in the Smash fanbase.
Once again, going off the far flung assumption that my speculation is correct. Note how I never said my speculation was absolute. I may have high confidence in my own thoughts but I have yet to make an objective statement on the matter. Is this correct? Who is to say?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Got SNES Classic for Christmas, got my 100 super jumps today without too many attempts.

Super suit Geno time. Yeah I’m thinking he’s in.

Anyone else ever get 100 super jumps? This was my second time doing the deed and I remember it taking many more attempts the first time

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't really want to fight about this but my point was "within the Smash fanbase" people weren't super excited for Hero, Ken, or Inceniroar. No, those franchises aren't niche in an absolute sense (all are million sellers, obviously), only in the sense that there wasn't a ton of support for them in the Smash fanbase.
It's worth pointing out Dragon Quest had more support for Smash than you're giving it credit for: https://www.siliconera.com/masahiro...imates-hero-dlc-director-philosophy-and-more/. Dragon Quest was never the type of thing to poll super well within traditional and vocal outlets, but there's been more work to prove people wanting Dragon Quest in Smash was a bigger thing that most people have given it credit for.

1. Smash website was updated for space for 5, 6, and 7 shortly after Terry's reveal.

2. By all accounts, 5 will probably go over about as well as a sour milk filled punch bowl. That's why I think a buffer or two will be needed to stop that potential salt avalanche.

3. Insiders and major gaming channels being a little too coy for their own good: suggesting 5 will be a flat note and 6 and 7 will "break rules."

4. Every stand alone character CGI trailer has been followed up by a presentation that had two. Ridley followed by Simon and K. Rool, Isabelle followed by Keniroar and WoL, and Joker followed by Hero and Banjo. This suggests Terry will be followed up by a presentation with two trailers, likely 5 and 7.

5. The confusing nature of character 6. Always suggested to either be a standalone bonus or part of a pack totally unrelated to its content. This suggests a character that exists outside the passes and likely wouldn't have a full on CGI trailer, just like Plant. Food for thought, 6's Mii costumes are supposedly not supposed to related to 6 at all. This isn't too weird given that Rex was technically Plant's Mii costume and Banjo's was just **** all.

6. The Smash YouTube channel has been updated with minor touch ups multiple times since November. Nobody is exactly sure of the full nature of these touchups and old ass videos were made private for some odd reason.

7. Insiders and speculators alike suggesting that Season 2 will be a hard return to fan favorite characters. This is another of the few things my contacts and the people in my fact checking/cross checking circle full on agree on, even if not everyone agrees on the names heard.

8. Cacomallow, as I explained earlier, suggests one of the hats is pack 5 and the other is pack 7. Because it's unlikely that the Fighter's Pass packs will double dip company wise, this suggests that, if real, Cacodemon is part of Pack 5 and Mallow is part of Pack 7. This lines up with the intel that 5 is supposed to be a serious Western character from a yet unrepresented company while Season 2 is supposedly a hard steer back to fan favorites.

9. Supports both Power of Six theory and Power of Two theory. Power of Six theory suggests that Hero was originally supposed to have Geno and Chocobo while 5 was supposed to have Rathalos, Monster Hunter, Lloyd, and Gil: all swordsmen, all fantasy elements, and three have armor and helmets. Thematically, fits together. Groovy.

Now, Power of Two theory suggests that the Mii costume formula was changed so that each pack would get 2 Smash 4 DLC costumes. So far, all these costumes have been related pairs. Tales and Knuckles. Zero and Protoman. Akira and Jacky. Same company, same franchise. Going off this, we can infer that 5's pairing will be Rathalos and Monster Hunter. Also groovy.

Now, here comes a fun theory. Geno and Chocobo were the first Mii costumes "removed", right? Wouldn't that potentially suggest that they would be the first ones to be added back in? Now, remember, the rumor about 6 is that all six of their Mii costumes are totally brand new but unrelated to the character. This means that Chocobo and Geno can't come with 6, with their earliest possible addition being 7. Now, this makes sense if 7 really is the start of "Season 2" and demonstrates that the Smash 4 costume pairings will likely continue until all 15 third party Smash 4 DLC costumes are added back into the game. Let's go to the chalk board...

Here are the current missing "pairs":

-Rathalos and Monster Hunter
-Geno and Chocobo
-X and EXE
-Lloyd and Gil
-Heihachi

We've already established that Rathalos and Monster Hunter will probably be coming with 5 and Geno and Chocobo will be coming with 7 based on our theory, right? This suggests the other pairs will probably come back with other characters, possibly in the order they were taken out. Fun stuff. Brass tacks: this means the removed Square Enix costumes would be added back in first, at the very least, supported by the existence of Cacomallow.

10. Geno being 77 would just be kinda neat, don't ya think? 7 stars? Watta knee slapper, amirite? The prospect certainly raises a warm, hardy laugh from my breast and out onto the open world. So, 5 (CGI trailer), 6 (no CGI trailer), and 7 (CGI trailer) lines up with this assessment.

So, uh, yeah, that's just my speculation on things. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but, uh, January should be fun nevertheless, right? If we don't get a triple reveal we at least get a public hanging, amirite? C'mon! Let's entertain the weird and wild while we're still young and not totally jaded by the cruelty of the world! Still, fun times ahead, at least I think so. Let's start the new year with a bang, shall we?
1. I mean, they announced additional characters alongside Terry, I don't think it's a stretch to say they worked on the site after that regardless of what the release schedule for those characters looks like.

2. What is this based on? You can talk about this being your speculation all you want, but you're still the only one to ever make any claim like this and the closest similar result is that Sabi and Vergeben "disconfirmed" several potential options prior to going outright radio silent (and a lot of those disconfirmations either got backpedaled hard or came under more questionable circumstances at best).

3. Again, what is this based on? At best, you've got your own theories about GameXplain meaning X, Y, and Z (which has been refuted by them many times mind you), but I don't really see much evidence of this around the community right now.

4. There's zero chance that's anything other than a coincidence. Like it may happen again, but every single one of those has more specific circumstances that led to multiple trailers at certain events (and World of Light naturally differs quite a bit from Kencineroar, which in of itself differs heavily from other trailers since it is the only one to feature two characters from unrelated franchises being announced in the same one).

5. Rex wasn't Plant's Mii costume and I don't know how you ever arrived at that conclusion (he was a bonus to the Fighter's Pass, which is about as far removed as you can get from Plant in many ways).

6. They've been taking down old ads for Smash is why things have changed on the YouTube channel and people have been over this in detail. The channel itself doesn't actually have any new stuff as you would traditionally expect if "true newcomer videos" were being put up. It's just part of the cycle of things, not really all that noteworthy on its own.

7. What is this conclusion based on? None of the insiders have every said anything to this effect, most of the characters you've named off don't really fit the fan "favorites" label particularly well, and speculation just seems focused on third parties like most of Ultimate's DLC has been from what I can tell. You're literally the only person I've ever seen claim this in any capacity.

8. Cacomallow still doesn't really have anything special to point towards it being real. We've seen someone go out of their way to recreate a working Mallow hat with jiggle physics in a running version of Ultimate and Nintendo didn't really touch any of the videos of this "supposed leak." That doesn't mean it's fake, but it's also very possible to fake.

9. We've been through the numerous issues with your power of two and power of six theories, and they all still absolutely stand without any sort of response.

I just don't really see how you're arriving at these conclusions, and much like the theories, feel like they're really based in a lot of unfounded assumptions.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
Well, anyways, I am surprised those like Wynn don't seem to understand how speculation works. I mean...

https://smashboards.com/forums/newcomer-speculation.584/

Doesn't it say under Newcomer Speculation here...

"Hopes and dreams are what this forum runs on. Speculate to your heart's content!"

And nothing much, if at all in doing the opposite, as being realistic or thinking someone is not getting in, as with the "Hopes and dreams" part suggesting the forum is for the opposite of doing?
This is speculation with one figure completely controlling the discussion thanks to specialized knowledge he possesses, which no one else has (no matter what one might try to say otherwise). There are a few differences here that should be acknowledged, and as much as I don't want to come off as antagonistic, it's important not to be disingenuous about what's going on here, and why a few people might have a problem with that.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This is speculation with one figure completely controlling the discussion thanks to specialized knowledge he possesses, which no one else has (no matter what one might try to say otherwise). There are a few differences here that should be acknowledged, and as much as I don't want to come off as antagonistic, it's important not to be disingenuous about what's going on here, and why a few people might have a problem with that.
First, I was never talking about Fatmanonice. Never. Don't bring people up that I was never even talking about.

Second, there is nothing wrong with what he is doing, which is making theories; if what you said about what he is doing is even accurate. He is just sharing his thoughts, not controlling anything.

That said, he said they were theories. If anyone who believes those theories and doesn't believe them ends of thinking Fatman is right, or is thinking is right, and those theories end up wrong, I say you have only yourselves to blame, not Fatmanoince.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

You are still calling it just “speculation”? Give me a break.

Once you say the magical words “my contacts/sources told me X”, its over. Any hope of you just “speculating” gets completely thrown out the window when you say that, you enter full on insider/rumor mill territory when you utter those words. And wouldn’t you know it? A handful of people here are taking that and running with it. They actually believe your “speculation” is evidence for their most wanted.

And FYI, using a Smash echo chamber as proof that Dovahkin is “niche” truly is laughable. Look up any game of the decade list right now, and Skyrim will very likely be on it. It was an absolute smash hit. And this is coming from a Doom Slayer supporter.

Also, I know plenty of people who aren’t into the Smash community that would be THRILLED if Dovahkin got confirmed. Elder Scrolls is one of the biggest series out there, and the fact that you are trying to argue it being “niche” based on this is honestly pathetic, and it shows that you are grasping at straws for you to have been 100% right this whole time. (By saying that you didn’t hint at someone else, even though anyone with an ounce of gaming knowledge knows that you did)

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I don’t know about you but I certainly don’t view Fatman as a central figure controlling speculation. All he does is add to it, but I can still think for myself and speculate without him. Cacomallow still seems really plausible, Fatman doesn’t have to state that for me to believe or speculate on it :p

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Me having "specialized knowledge" is only an issue if I outright tell people to not speculate certain things. That's people's personal choice. People choose to think for themselves. People choose to believe me or my contacts. Note how I haven't told people to flat out stop supporting characters or outright trust me in the most absolute sense. Y'all are adults. You can make these decisions on your own. Coming to this thread is a choice. Listening to my speculation is a choice. Letting it make you angry is a choice. There are probably a solid dozen choices that people have to actively make to be outraged by my speculation.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don’t know about you but I certainly don’t view Fatman as a central figure controlling speculation. All he does is add to it, but I can still think for myself and speculate without him. Cacomallow still seems really plausible, Fatman doesn’t have to state that for me to believe or speculate on it :p
Not to mention, there aren't many people like him on this, or any or many of the other character topics, and if they were on this topic, they would not necessarily be controlling the discussion, but adding to it, like TooManyToastahs said.

Last edited:

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
First, I was never talking about Fatmanonice. Never. Don't bring people up that I was never even talking about.

Second, there is nothing wrong with what he is doing, which is making theories; if what you said about what he is doing is even accurate. He is just sharing his thoughts, not controlling anything.

That said, he said they were theories. If anyone who believes those theories and doesn't believe them ends of thinking Fatman is right, or is thinking is right, and those theories end up wrong, I say you have only yourselves to blame, not Fatmanoince.
Sorry, I honestly though you were referring to him, given that just about all the significant speculation going on in this thread these days seems to originate from him. Didn't mean to imply there was nothing wrong with speculation or anything, let alone with making theories, just that people are giving more weight to Fatmanonice's theories than they normally would for a reason.
Me having "specialized knowledge" is only an issue if I outright tell people to not speculate certain things. That's people's personal choice. People choose to think for themselves. People choose to believe me or my contacts. Note how I haven't told people to flat out stop supporting characters or outright trust me in the most absolute sense. Y'all are adults. You can make these decisions on your own. Coming to this thread is a choice. Listening to my speculation is a choice. Letting it make you angry is a choice. There are probably a solid dozen choices that people have to actively make to be outraged by my speculation.
Saying that you were "controlling discussion" was admittingly rather out of line for me, and I apologize for that. I just wanted to point out that the very existence of sources that might have more insight into what's going on than other people does cause an imbalance in discussion whether they want it to or not. I'm sorry for acting out in this regard.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Got SNES Classic for Christmas, got my 100 super jumps today without too many attempts.

Super suit Geno time. Yeah I’m thinking he’s in.

Anyone else ever get 100 super jumps? This was my second time doing the deed and I remember it taking many more attempts the first time
Super Suit was always the bane of my existence as a kid. Still haven’t gotten around to tackling that feat :(

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
If we get another Super Mario RPG rep aside from Geno, who would it be?
Now, the normal answer would be Mallow. However, I would want the Axem Rangers with a Pokemon Trainer switch in function.

Unrealistic? Perhaps. Would it be super cool? Most definitely.

Edit: :ultgreninja:‘d!

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Once you say the magical words “my contacts/sources told me X”, its over. Any hope of you just “speculating” gets completely thrown out the window when you say that, you enter full on insider/rumor mill territory when you utter those words. And wouldn’t you know it? A handful of people here are taking that and running with it. They actually believe your “speculation” is evidence for their most wanted.

And FYI, using a Smash echo chamber as proof that Dovahkin is “niche” truly is laughable. Look up any game of the decade list right now, and Skyrim will very likely be on it. It was an absolute smash hit. And this is coming from a Doom Slayer supporter.

Also, I know plenty of people who aren’t into the Smash community that would be THRILLED if Dovahkin got confirmed. Elder Scrolls is one of the biggest series out there, and the fact that you are trying to argue it being “niche” based on this is honestly pathetic, and it shows that you are grasping at straws for you to have been 100% right this whole time. (By saying that you didn’t hint at someone else, even though anyone with an ounce of gaming knowledge knows that you did)
I mean, I mapped out my thoughts going back to September, all stemming from Mii costume patterns and supporting the original idea that 5 was a FANTASY SWORDSMAN from a YET TO BE REPRESENTED COMPANY from Ultimate's newcomers. It's not rocket science and, as you pointed out yourself, my speculation was diverted by absolute statements from other people, Sabi, Verge, Sabi's source, and the NoA ambassador. All I did was reach a logical conclusion and had some of my friends say "hmm, yes, that has a good chance of being right."

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
The Axem Rangers. Yep, all 5 of them in a single character.
Sounds interesting and fun at the same time

Now, the normal answer would be Mallow. However, I would want the Axem Rangers with a Pokemon Trainer switch in function.

Unrealistic? Perhaps. Would it be super cool? Most definitely.

Edit: :ultgreninja:‘d!
Nice! it would definitely be something else to see how Sakurai would implement them into the battlefield

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If we get another Super Mario RPG rep aside from Geno, who would it be?
Maybe Yaridovich. He'd have his own attacks and like Ditto the Pokemon, temporarily shapeshift to a dark version of a fighter at least three times per life. Or use a bar that, when filled, lets him change into another character like that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Once you say the magical words “my contacts/sources told me X”, its over.
That's a cute fan rule and all, but it really isn't.

Why does having sources disqualify him from speculating based on the rumors or evidence that has been presented to him?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Why does having sources disqualify him from speculating based on the rumors or evidence that has been presented to him?
Good question. I am not sure how this guy (not you) understands how mixing source information into theories works.

Also...

N Nopote I accept your apology.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

People just want to know and be assured of certain things they're not part of.

The only fan rule that we can follow is don't follow any "rule".. more than only video game characters perhaps (? Even though i'd like to see Popeye..
But whatever! Remember that we can Speculate, but please don't use arguments based on "rules", anything can happen, Sakurai-sama is THE absolutely madlad.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

I don't think Fatman is outright saying that his sources have been making these claims as much as he's theorizing based on statements from his contacts. Pretty substantial difference there.

EDIT: he said just as much in an above post so :4pacman:

Last edited:

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
I mean, I mapped out my thoughts going back to September, all stemming from Mii costume patterns and supporting the original idea that 5 was a FANTASY SWORDSMAN from a YET TO BE REPRESENTED COMPANY from Ultimate's newcomers. It's not rocket science and, as you pointed out yourself, my speculation was diverted by absolute statements from other people, Sabi, Verge, Sabi's source, and the NoA ambassador. All I did was reach a logical conclusion and had some of my friends say "hmm, yes, that has a good chance of being right."
I thought the sources already had an idea of who the 5th character was based on their statements? Did I confuse something along the way?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

If you're bringing in outside information that hasn't been publicly discussed by other sources, then you're the point of contact for that particular idea/rumor and thus the "leaker" in question. Sabi and Vergeben just give us information based upon what their sources tell us, thus they are "leakers" because they are the point of contact for new information. Fatmanonice pushing certain ideas regarding fighter #5 based upon some sources he has heard (such as it will be disappointing or not a fan favorite) are really the first time we've heard of these things, so yes, at that point, you're moving beyond speculation and becoming the point of contact.

He's the only one claiming that #5 will be disappointing to the Smash fan base and the only one who has ever spoken publicly to the idea that "Season 2" will be more fan favorite based.

If you're playing with additional information not known to the public, then you're most certainly going beyond "just speculation" at that point regardless of how legitimate or illegitimate that information is. It can be a mix of your speculation and your "sources," but if the information that you're speculating around isn't known to the public and you're the first to talk about it, you're still officially the "leak" at that point.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Does anyone have a copy of an image of a Geno hat. I need it for memes.
Gotchu covered, fam!
Hat time.png

If you're bringing in outside information that hasn't been publicly discussed by other sources, then you're the point of contact for that particular idea/rumor and thus the "leaker" in question. Sabi and Vergeben just give us information based upon what their sources tell us, thus they are "leakers" because they are the point of contact for new information. Fatmanonice pushing certain ideas regarding fighter #5 based upon some sources he has heard (such as it will be disappointing or not a fan favorite) are really the first time we've heard of these things, so yes, at that point, you're moving beyond speculation and becoming the point of contact.

He's the only one claiming that #5 will be disappointing to the Smash fan base and the only one who has ever spoken publicly to the idea that "Season 2" will be more fan favorite based.

If you're playing with additional information not known to the public, then you're most certainly going beyond "just speculation" at that point regardless of how legitimate or illegitimate that information is. It can be a mix of your speculation and your "sources," but if the information that you're speculating around isn't known to the public and you're the first to talk about it, you're still officially the "leak" at that point.
But what names has he provided? Which specific characters has he heard? I'd take your claims of Fatman talking leaks more seriously if you could point to one single character name that he's directly stated that was sourced from one of his friends.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Warning Issued
>Sabi

You mean the same guy who called your le- I’m sorry, “speculation”, completely false and not to be trusted? Give me a break.

And FYI, neither Verge or Sabi have made ANY statements publicly that support Dovahkin being in Smash.

Also, I find it really funny that, if I don’t recall, you said that you weren’t allowed to share any of these rumors, but you aren’t even being subtle about who you heard anymore.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I thought the sources already had an idea of who the 5th character was based on their statements? Did I confuse something along the way?
No, nothing's changed. Three think it's a Bethesda character, two agree with my speculation, and one thinks it's Master Chief (saying it out loud now given I've fully mapped out my reasoning and logic as to why I think 5 is who I think 5 is)..

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
>Sabi

You mean the same guy who called your le- I’m sorry, “speculation”, completely false and not to be trusted? Give me a break.

And FYI, neither Verge or Sabi have made ANY statements publicly that support Dovahkin being in Smash.

Also, I find it really funny that, if I don’t recall, you said that you weren’t allowed to share any of these rumors, but you aren’t even being subtle about who you heard anymore.
*Sighs in an annoyed way* Just let it go, please. That's all I, and maybe most of us, ask of you. We have had enough of this for a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom