• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
God, this place is going to go nuclear if there's no Smash announcement tomorrow, isn't it?
I can wait. I personally would be more excited for a Smash Direct announcement over just a character reveal. Since a direct gives Geno a chance to appear as a post pass character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One possible silver lining of no reveal tomorrow could be that it points to an upcoming full Smash Direct. In some ways that scenario might not be a bad thing because we could get a glimpse at the post pass DLC. If we get a reveal tomorrow then we may have to wait until February to know what we're in for post pass.
This is what I'm currently betting on. Based on the "implied" announcement tomorrow, I could see a Smash Direct next week so they don't steal any thunder from it. If me and Papa are right in what we think the hints mean, Nintendo is going to play it the **** up and make an honest attempt to steal the show with it.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
With a Nindies always following or preceding a regular Direct, what are the chances we get one this month post-VGAs, assuming the VGAs aren't counted as the "Direct" in this instance?

link2702

Smash Champion
Since we’re on this topic again, just feel like pointing out that zss is slightly different from mai.

Mais... “defining features” were basically jiggling right in front of players faces, and even her sex appeal was basically baked into her character lore. So the fact that zss shows a little skin is a bit different, as she’s not using that aspect as a part of her fighting style to “distract” her opponent.

The oddball with this argument is of course bayonetta. I can only assume sakurai felt it was ok with her because he felt her ability to control demonic powers overshadowed her flirty nature and poses, and he could focus more on that demonic/dark magic aspect of her. He really didn’t have anything like that to fall back on for mai.

Annnnd for how this ties into KOSMOS...? It’s similar to bayo and zss. KOSMOS might be showing a bit of skin and is clearly artistically designed to be “sexy anime robot woman” but her actual personality and fighting ability doesn’t revolve around it. She basically has a military grade arsenal of weapons within her, which is likely more what sakurai would focus on.

So basically that’s the reason why mai couldn’t even make any appearance, but other female characters with very...suggestive designs could.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
This is what I'm currently betting on. Based on the "implied" announcement tomorrow, I could see a Smash Direct next week so they don't steal any thunder from it. If me and Papa are right in what we think the hints mean, Nintendo is going to play it the **** up and make an honest attempt to steal the show with it.
That's a bold claim. I've got no idea what Nintendo could announce that would surpass Smash other than Halo

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
That's a bold claim. I've got no idea what Nintendo could announce that would surpass Smash other than Halo
I don’t think he’s saying that it would surpass Smash, rather that if Smash was announced then Smash would potentially overshadow the mystery game

MisterMike

Smash Champion
With a Nindies always following or preceding a regular Direct, what are the chances we get one this month post-VGAs, assuming the VGAs aren't counted as the "Direct" in this instance?
I doubt it. They usually have the first direct of the year around february/march.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Since we’re on this topic again, just feel like pointing out that zss is slightly different from mai.

Mais... “defining features” were basically jiggling right in front of players faces, and even her sex appeal was basically baked into her character lore. So the fact that zss shows a little skin is a bit different, as she’s not using that aspect as a part of her fighting style to “distract” her opponent.

The oddball with this argument is of course bayonetta. I can only assume sakurai felt it was ok with her because he felt her ability to control demonic powers overshadowed her flirty nature and poses, and he could focus more on that demonic/dark magic aspect of her. He really didn’t have anything like that to fall back on for mai.

Annnnd for how this ties into KOSMOS...? It’s similar to bayo and zss. KOSMOS might be showing a bit of skin and is clearly artistically designed to be “sexy anime robot woman” but her actual personality and fighting ability doesn’t revolve around it. She basically has a military grade arsenal of weapons within her, which is likely more what sakurai would focus on.

So basically that’s the reason why mai couldn’t even make any appearance, but other female characters with very...suggestive designs could.
He could have stylized Mai, but since she's not a fighter they probably decided not to take the time to re-design her only to use the re-design as a prop in the KoF stage. That would be a waste of effort IMO.

With a full character like ZSS, Bayonetta, (and potentially KOS-MOS) there is more time and resources for these developments.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Another gem of a quote, however, I don't feel it's fair to ban female characters for the "sexy factor". Zero suit samus is not only guilty of this, but she even has a midriff alt that shows a decent amount of skin. Palutena's got a slit in her dress that almost reaches her upper thigh. Bayonetta is....Bayonetta. All of them were deemed A-OK for smash and KOS-MOS has some relatively conservative outfits they could give her to cover up skin. Besides that, I thinks it's really immature and unreasonable to deem a curvaceous female figure inherently "evil" or unfit for children's eyes, especially when fully clothed. And hey, who WOULDN'T want some more eye-candy in the game? I honestly see no problem with her and she doesn't pose any kind of threat to Geno's chances whatsoever.
I'm really just poking fun at the fact that Mai didn't get a cameo; this will be my go to reason for why [your waifu] isn't getting into the game until the ride finally ends. I know KOS-MOS not because of Xenosaga, but because of Namco X Capcom (or more specifically, wishing it would be localized all those years ago), and her dress is extremely tame in that game. In reality, she's only gotten more lewd as time goes on. There really seems to be a shifting line of a threshold in Smash as to what counts as too much for the kids (or to maintain that E10+ rating, more appropriately. No clue why they felt the need to move away from T)... I mean, Palutena's essentially a stripper, but that's the kind of stuff that probably goes over most kids' heads.

Based on what we know I think an indie/smaller studio is going to tackle one of Nintendo's under-loved franchises in either a bold new way or a beloved classic way, maybe with a spin. Maybe a new 2D Metroid game because Prime 4 got a huge delay? Possibly a new F-Zero. Golden Sun revival... which if that doesn't come with Felix as a Smash rep I guess we'll just have to hang up our scarves and give up on that dream, so maybe not at the VGAs.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I tend to consider myself fairly cool and collected when it comes to this stuff; I feel like I can keep calm and carry on, as they say. I'm a patient pup. However, I can't help but confess that I'm chomping at the bit here, and sincerely want/kiiiiinda need an announcement of some sort before too long. Praying for a VGA appearance, though it's making me a bit nervous that this may not be the case, if what Fatman and Papa are hearing turns out to be accurate, haha... :bobomb:

Firox

Smash Master
I mean, Palutena's essentially a stripper
Agreed, but man is she a great one. That pole dancer taunt of hers is a thing of beauty.

Also, on a separate note, I won't mind if we get nothing for the VGA's AS LONG AS we get an announcement for a Smash direct some time in the next 24 hours. If we get totally ghosted for another week, I'm not gonna lie, I'll be kinda pissed.

Last edited:

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking about something, and... it’s likely that there’s a Smash direct soon. The last direct (well, Presentation) of Smash 4 was December 15th. It’s possible we can get something like that again.

link2702

Smash Champion
He could have stylized Mai, but since she's not a fighter they probably decided not to take the time to re-design her only to use the re-design as a prop in the KoF stage. That would be a waste of effort IMO.

With a full character like ZSS, Bayonetta, (and potentially KOS-MOS) there is more time and resources for these developments.
There’s that too of course, but still, the main point is that the main characteristic that defines mai is really something that sakurai couldn’t use for smash in any way. He could have easily put her in a more modest outfit for the KoF stage, didn’t have her standing in her typical idle pose, etc. but at the end of the day, her sexyness/flirtyness, is part of her character and lore itself, to the point where you can’t really put her in the game without acknowledging it in some way. You can ignore this aspect with KOSMOS, zss, and even bayonetta to a degree, because it’s not the core defining aspect of em. regardless of whether they were playable or just cameos.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I love seeing some of the names of people who view this thread sometimes. Seeing Eggman’s full name in bold, blue letters gave me a chuckle.

Anywho, to keep things on topic, I honestly think we will see SOMETHING Smash related. Whether it be in the form of a character reveal, a dual character reveal, or an announcement of an announcement.

Let’s not lose our heads now people, there’s still plenty of reason to look forward to the VGAs :)

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What would you guys expect from a full on Smash direct if it were to be announced? Obviously we would get the 5th fighter, but how in depth would they go with the info? Would we just get info on the upcoming DLC plans, or would we see a full on fighter?

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
What would you guys expect from a full on Smash direct if it were to be announced? Obviously we would get the 5th fighter, but how in depth would they go with the info? Would we just get info on the upcoming DLC plans, or would we see a full on fighter?
Unless they plan on revealing 4 to 5 characters at once, have a lengthy time spent on their trailers and go over each one's gameplay, or they make major changes to a gameplay mode that has been unannounced up to this point, I don't see any reason they'd dedicate an entire direct to Smash over a year after release.

Last edited:

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
My assumption is the 5th character reveal is at the VGAs. A nintendo direct in January and the 5th character will be released on the same day of that direct in January. (with character info and how the moveset works)

I'm wondering if we will get more character reveals for "fighter pack 2" on the VGA or a hint of it.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Announce character 5, maybe go in depth with them, detail “Season 2”, and announce character 6. Hard maybe here but they could announce a new mode?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
LOL I never even thought about it. Geno only wears a hat, cape and shoes. Other than that, he's pretty much naked.

"STREAKER!"
I actually do hope they modify his cape to be a bit fuller when he's playable. In SMRPG, it looked more encompassing and evident. His Mii costume made it look like a hand towel barely covering him. This isn't a 'cover up his body' complaint, more like the Mii style looked off.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
Something like this:
Starts with the reveal trailer for #5
Sakurai comes on
Sakurai goes over everything for #5, the stage, moves, music tracks, everything
Release Date for #5
Sakurai then goes into detail on how the extra DLC will be released
Sakurai ends with something like “We are still hard at work with the other DLC fighters, and we thank all of you for your support. There’s one more thing I’d like to show you. Please take a look.”
Trailer/Teaser for #6
end Direct

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
If we got a specific Smash direct, I would honestly expect the following:

-Reveal of Fighter 5 with Trailer and gameplay (100% chance), same day release (80%)
-Announcement of Fighter Pass #2 and estimated release schedule (90%)
-Reveal of Fighter 6 with trailer (90%), MAYBE gameplay (40% chance)
-Reveal of Fighter 7 with trailer (15% chance)
-Brief mention of balancing patch
-If we're getting any more game modes, this is where we'd hear about it. If nothing gets mentioned, then it's pretty much GG to that.

EDIT: You know what? After looking this over, I've come to the conclusion that we're probably not getting anything for the VGA's. Sakurai's got a lot of stuff to cover and there's no way he'll get that kind of time and attention at the VGA's. If anything, they'll give us a super short reveal of Fighter 5 a la Joker-style along with an announcement for the above Direct to happen on Friday or some time next week.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
that's really difficult to tell if its true or false. All I can say is that Nintendo will give some light at the VGA tomorrow evening.

Also, there could be a possibility of the sixth challenger teaser trailer to kickstart the new Fighters Pass after the fifth challenger is revealed

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I found these regarding KOS-MOS. If these are real then the leak about her is false, no?

You should edit out, or edit, the image with Grotesque Steve, as it contains some homophobic language that is considered censor-dodging. Just white it out like how the usernames were whited out.

I'm not sure how reliable a random Discord thread is; anyone can claim to have made a fake leak with no evidence.

On an unrelated note, I was secretly the mastermind behind the Grinch leak. Don't tell anybody - I've managed to keep it a secret for this long, but I can't live with the guilt any more. /s

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
You should edit out, or edit, the image with Grotesque Steve, as it contains some homophobic language that is considered censor-dodging. Just white it out like how the usernames were whited out.

I'm not sure how reliable a random Discord thread is; anyone can claim to have made a fake leak with no evidence.

On an unrelated note, I was secretly the mastermind behind the Grinch leak. Don't tell anybody - I've managed to keep it a secret for this long, but I can't live with the guilt any more. /s
Yeah, the dude didn't present any convincing evidence that he made the fake leak. He has a history of being a troll too apparently so I'm not buying that one. That being said... this is a random 4chan text leak we're talking about here

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I kinda find it funny how people keep getting super-hyped up for each "new" private video and it always ends up just being an old, retired ad.

Not "haha" funny, but eh, idk. Kinda feels silly, and it's getting old at this point.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So as far as who Fighter #5 is, where are we standing now?
KOS-MOS definitely has a lot going for her now. GamExplain leaning suspiciously hard in her direction being a factor.

But for a definitive answer? Nothing. Both Sabi and Vergeben can't get a straight answer; Nintendo did that good a job of keeping this one locked down tight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom