• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
KOS-MOS isn't as revealing as Mai, and even less so than Bayo. At least if you use her XC2 Design, at least from my memory. That doesn't matter though we all know Buzz Lightyear is the next fighter.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
From what I've gathered, Namco designed KOS-MOS for use in Xenosaga and has kept ownership over her much like Square kept ownership over Geno despite designing him for Nintendo's game. Namco is credited in Xenoblade Chronicles 2's credits despite not being credited on the box, so I'm going to go ahead and say she's Namco's.

But regardless of whether she's a second party or third party character, I'm going to fall back on the fact that she isn't gonna make it for the same reasons Mai isn't in the game. Sakurai wants to make sure if you're gonna learn to play Smash one handed, it's to play against yourself.
Yeah I only know anything about KOS-MOS because of Project X Zone, so I don’t know if her attacks were fanserviced up for that game (it’s a very fanservicey game) but her ultimate attack is literally exposing her cleavage and firing a laser from it.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I can't see Kos-Mos being a thing at all.

She's just REALLY random and extremely out of left field in this pack.

Joker, beloved and long running JRPG representative. Probably the most successful Persona game hero to date.
Hero, I mean....Dragon Quest is the size of Final Fantasy in JRPG history. Nuff said.
Banjo Kazooie, beloved fan requested and platformer star.
Terry Bogard, star of a cult in most parts, but iconic and game changing fighting series.

and.....Kos Mos? Robot girl who isn't really a WILDLY talked about contender for Smash, she's not from a game that's particularly game changing, etc, etc.

She sticks out like a sore thumb with these characters.
She is, though that brings up the question of why her in the face of other bigger franchises and characters.

I don't mind her at all(I actually like her quite a bit), but it's kinda true that she is a smaller name in the Namco library.
To be fair though, a lot didn't know Terry either so they just kept calling him Ken with a Hat and were convinced he wouldn't get in. And plus:

"Whether or not the character is fun to play as is more important than whether the character is new or old, or whether the character is recognisable to everyone."- Sakurai

AugustusB

Smash Champion
*comes in and sees slight off topic things* I see things are back to normal.

I intend to watch the VGA's just to see what is planned to be shown. I am curious to see who is going to take GOTY. I would be kind of surprised if Smash takes it in all honesty.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah I only know anything about KOS-MOS because of Project X Zone, so I don’t know if her attacks were fanserviced up for that game (it’s a very fanservicey game) but her ultimate attack is literally exposing her cleavage and firing a laser from it.
She shoots ***** lasers?

Well okay I'm sold, bring me the robot with ***** lasers, I highly approve

ETA: okay how is ass not censored yet another word for breast is

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
This is where it's confusing. I've seen some say Namco owns her, I've seen others say it's Monolith. I don't know if there's some weird legal mumbo jumbo or not but if it is a confusing situation then it'd make sense why neither Sabi or Verge (I know, Verge isn't popular) can get a clear answer.
Maybe Namco owns the KOS and Monolith owns the MOS.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Having a bunch of appearances doesn't correlate with being well known in the Smash community, Terry speaks for that, and even then most of her appearances are still relatively obscure. Being honest, even as someone who has heard of Kos-Mos for years because of some of these crossovers, I don't I've ever actually seen ANYONE ever talk about Xenosaga as a game, period. I feel like most people here only even know her because she was in Xenoblade 2.
While I agree that she’s in the same situation as Terry (Terry has lots of crossovers but was still relatively unknown outside of the FGC), I worry that we’re playing devil’s advocate saying something like that considering the character we want has starred in one game and cameo’d in another.

Legacy content doesn’t really matter in terms of character creation (I mean, look at Duck Hunt or R.O.B), but KOS-MOS’s impact on at least the Xeno franchise should not be understated.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Good lord, can you all chill? Can't you all see that I'm trying to figure things out because I can't find a clear answer? Some citations would be fan-****ing-tastic, please and thanks. Holy hell, this community some days...
A good word of advice would be to preface that you're curious about her ownership instead of stating it as if it's a fact, which is kind of the impression I got from your original post.

I should add I was perfectly calm I was just wondering why you said that.

Last edited:

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
With positively no disrespect meant towards supporters, as I’ve been on the receiving end of this kind of commentary as a Geno supporter, but...
at least for me, kosmos would be such an uninteresting fizzle-out ending to the fighters pass

I hope it’s someone more immediately recognizable or exciting but if it is her, congrats to her supporters

pinshadow

Smash Lord
While I agree that she’s in the same situation as Terry (Terry has lots of crossovers but was still relatively unknown outside of the FGC), I worry that we’re playing devil’s advocate saying something like that considering the character we want has starred in one game and cameo’d in another.

Legacy content doesn’t really matter in terms of character creation (I mean, look at Duck Hunt or R.O.B), but KOS-MOS’s impact on at least the Xeno franchise should not be understated.
Believe me, I know how what I said can be flipped on Geno, being honest I cut out part of the post that was really harsh on people who wanted her until I realized that pretty much everything I was saying was the same stuff everyone says about the Geno fanbase, so it wasn't really a good idea.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I think the fact Shinobi is tweeting on the VGAs is enough prove that FP5 is going to be revealed there.
Not quite. Shinobi has hinted at a lot of other things in the past. (Mass Effect Andormeda comes to mind) I would not take that as FP5 is coming.

Not until he says someone is going to have a "Smashing" time.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Ima be honest if it weren't for the years of Smash speculation I wouldn't have a clue who Geno is outside of a one off SNES title. So I try and refrain from using "nobody knows who that is so they aren't a good choice".

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not quite. Shinobi has hinted at a lot of other things in the past. (Mass Effect Andormeda comes to mind) I would not take that as FP5 is coming.

Not until he says someone is going to have a "Smashing" time.
Oh God! Imagine if he says something like "I heard a certain special muppet is going to be there tonight. It's going to be a Smashing time." Dear lord this thread would go nuts.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A good word of advice would be to preface that you're curious about her ownership instead of stating it as if it's a fact, which is kind of the impression I got from your original post.

I should add I was perfectly calm I was just wondering why you said that.
To be fair, you did kinda accuse him of spreading misinformation as if he knew it was misinformation.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
1547444720061.png

Sakurai has a habit of blowing his load too early and revealing great characters early and then fizzling out at the end. Kos Mos would not surprise me at this point, and at the game awards where very few people know about her would be such a massive dissapointment imo.

Last edited:

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
I hope whatever they announce tomorrow will be big enough to make up for them not revealing the 5th character (if they plan not to announce the character of course)

owjies

Smash Journeyman
God, this place is going to go nuclear if there's no Smash announcement tomorrow, isn't it?
One possible silver lining of no reveal tomorrow could be that it points to an upcoming full Smash Direct. In some ways that scenario might not be a bad thing because we could get a glimpse at the post pass DLC. If we get a reveal tomorrow then we may have to wait until February to know what we're in for post pass.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm the only one here who is wildly hyped for KOS-MOS having a strong chance of being fighter #5 and I'm okay with that. I said it before and I'll say it again: I don't think BAMCO would have willingly accepted not having a new character entry planned from the start of negotiations, so it would make sense for a BAMCO rep to close out the pass.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I hope whatever they announce tomorrow will be big enough to make up for them not revealing the 5th character (if they plan not to announce the character of course)
If they gave me Mother 3 or Banjo-Threeie than I would not give two ***** if FP5 isn't there.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't think KOS-MOS would be too bad. I do wonder how it would effect the chance of Geno though.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
One possible silver lining of no reveal tomorrow could be that it points to an upcoming full Smash Direct. In some ways that scenario might not be a bad thing because we could get a glimpse at the post pass DLC. If we get a reveal tomorrow then we may have to wait until February to know what we're in for post pass.
It would be a very Nintendo move for Smash to win GOTY and then on stage, in front of millions of people, have Sakurai announce a Nintendo Direct

D

Deleted member

So yeah, I know KOS-MOS is underwhelming to the majority of people, but consider this for a moment:

Think of how the Lloydbros will feel.

id imagine it would go tactical nuke if its anything but geno tbh
We're well beyond "expecting" our boy, honestly. We just know it'll happen one day.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
id imagine it would go tactical nuke if its anything but geno tbh
Are people actually expecting Geno to be the fifth Fighters Pass character? I figured it was more likely to be one of the post-Fighters Pass characters.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
To be fair, your did kinda accuse him of spreading misinformation as if he knew it was misinformation.
That was me asking why he was, not exactly and accusation more of just a question and as I stated previously his wording implied he was stating it as a fact.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Sakurai wants to make sure if you're gonna learn to play Smash one handed, it's to play against yourself.
Another gem of a quote, however, I don't feel it's fair to ban female characters for the "sexy factor". Zero suit samus is not only guilty of this, but she even has a midriff alt that shows a decent amount of skin. Palutena's got a slit in her dress that almost reaches her upper thigh. Bayonetta is....Bayonetta. All of them were deemed A-OK for smash and KOS-MOS has some relatively conservative outfits they could give her to cover up skin. Besides that, I thinks it's really immature and unreasonable to deem a curvaceous female figure inherently "evil" or unfit for children's eyes, especially when fully clothed. And hey, who WOULDN'T want some more eye-candy in the game? I honestly see no problem with her and she doesn't pose any kind of threat to Geno's chances whatsoever.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sakurai walks into the Microsoft theater at VGAs

Crowd: Holy ****!

Sakurai: I'm sorry to announce, but we are taking a break from Smash and are post pending the DLC and release of FP5 for a whole year. :troll:

Crowd: What the ****! :mad:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Another gem of a quote, however, I don't feel it's fair to ban female characters for the "sexy factor". Zero suit samus is not only guilty of this, but she even has a midriff alt that shows a decent amount of skin. Palutena's got a slit in her dress that almost reaches her upper thigh. Bayonetta is....Bayonetta. All of them were deemed A-OK for smash and KOS-MOS has some relatively conservative outfits they could give her to cover up skin. Besides that, I thinks it's really immature and unreasonable to deem a curvaceous female figure inherently "evil" or unfit for children's eyes, especially when fully clothed. And hey, who WOULDN'T want some more eye-candy in the game? I honestly see no problem with her and she doesn't pose any kind of threat to Geno's chances whatsoever.
And Samus' minor outcry was weird as her in that kind of outfit was a thing since the NES. Although, I think it was a combination of that and giving her pointless high heels and Other M's poor characterization, which Sakurai turned around nicely with jet boots.

But there is a limit to skimpiness that fans will say is too much, pointless or stupid. Pyra, I believe, has an outfit that fans disliked and they were happy there was a DLC outfit that was more conservative for her.

Which means that Geno will not be playable as he doesn't wear pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom