• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Hey y'all! I'm from the KOS-MOS and Reimu threads. I've been lurking here for a few days and I just wanted to lend my support to our little wooden RPG Hero. I've never played Super Mario RPG myself, but it looks like a fantastic game and has a very memorable soundtrack (listening to Barrel Volcano as we speak).

With that being said, I feel that it would be great if Geno were to be included within the DLC cycle. Super Mario RPG needs more recognition, and I would absolutely love to bump some of the OST in public arenas.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can't wait for doritos game awards
Mountain Dew is my favorite soda along with Coca-Cola. :)

Hey y'all! I'm from the KOS-MOS and Reimu threads. I've been lurking here for a few days and I just wanted to lend my support to our little wooden RPG Hero. I've never played Super Mario RPG myself, but it looks like a fantastic game and has a very memorable soundtrack (listening to Barrel Volcano as we speak).

With that being said, I feel that it would be great if Geno were to be included within the DLC cycle. Super Mario RPG needs more recognition, and I would absolutely love to bump some of the OST in public arenas.
Welcome aboard. Mods come and merge my post please.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

Greetings! Always nice to see more support for the wooden guy!

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Staying up late because of school and will hardly get any sleep gang rise up

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why y'all having to make me catch up on 40 pages? Chill da fuggout.

geno3smash

Plank08

Smash Lord
Guys, don’t expect a popular character at the game awards. If Nintendo cared about announcements and when they happened, Terry would’ve been revealed in Evo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Screenshot_20191128-234114~2.png

Screenshot_20191128-234127.png

Screenshot_20191128-234137.png
Screenshot_20191128-234155.png
Screenshot_20191209-091108.png

So, I wanted to take this opportunity to apologise to a user by the name of Krono from Gamefaqs. As you all know, he was blamed for the Seven Squares scandal last year and has been used as a poster child for "when insiders mess up." The truth of the matter is that he was innocent. I'm making this post here in the Geno thread for a couple of reasons.

1. I certainly didn't help the situation. Last year, I publicly dragged Krono based on what I thought was the truth. Consider this a call out to myself for condemning an innocent man:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-541#post-22824966

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-570#post-22858250

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-541#post-22825032

2. I honestly believe this situation caused a lot of fighting, especially among Geno and Sora fans. I feel like a lot of the current hostility stems to this scandal and, as one of the front runners of the Geno fanbase, I want to apologise for all the things that were said. I especially want to apologise to Nekoo Nekoo who was one of the first people who I talked to in private when I had a major depressive episode around the VGAs last year. We fought a lot back then but, after being in contact with him this past year, I want to say I'm sorry to him for all the **** I gave him because of the Geno/Sora rivalry thing.

So, with that, you all deserve to know the truth about the Seven Squares. It provided evidence that Geno was talked about in official capacity at Square but I'm sad that an innocent person got dragged for it and people lost their jobs because of the names getting out. Again, I'm sorry and I hope we can move forward in a better way after this.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
Guys, don’t expect a popular character at the game awards. If Nintendo cared about announcements and when they happened, Terry would’ve been revealed in Evo.
It’s entirely possible that the Terry trailer wasn’t in a showable state at EVO, since the direct that did show it was around a month later. Plus, you can’t say Nintendo doesn’t care about when they announce something huge when we got Hero, someone who’s greatly known in Japan, and Banjo, one of the most wanted characters ever, at E3. Of course, a less well known character could be shown at the Game Awards, but I think it’ll be someone at least a fair amount of people know, like Joker.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
That's my guess honestly. I'm thinking #5 won't be an A-lister, but a fairly popular B-lister that most people are at least aware of.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Also I feel that we should be allowed to go off topic a little bit, this is a special situation where a thread like this gets so big, and people want to keep this community alive too, so if nothing is happening we should be allowed to talk about different topics and games that don’t automatically relate to geno sometimes, but not for too long

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Alright, with the TGAs literally tomorrow, I wanted to update a really good Reddit post made by u/insertusernamehere51 yesterday and share it here. While I fully understand if you don’t trust Sabi or Vergeben, and especially after recent events I’m not trying to paint them positively in any way, the following is a compiled list of their claims for future reference. Again, most of this work was done by the Reddit user, I’m just streamlining it so it better fits in a single forum post and updating it with newer deconfirms it missed.

Vergeben has said that character 5 is NOT:

A Bandai-Namco character, a Level-5 character, a Ubisoft character, a Falcom character, a Nippon Ichi Software character, Gordon Freeman from Half-Life, Doom Slayer, Geno, Scorpion, Ryu Hayabusa, Arle Nadja, Sakura from Sakura Wars, Crash Bandicoot, Tracer, Reimu Hakurei from Touhou, Kat from Gravity Rush, Sora, Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear, Ragna from BlazBlue, Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Amterasu, Monster Hunter, Sam Bridges from Death Stranding, Geralt of Rivia, Monokuma, or Kratos.

Sabi has said that character 5 is NOT:

Ryu Hayabusa, Crash Bandicoot, Doom Slayer, Geno, Dante, a Tales character, Sora, a Falcom character, a NIS character, or a Sony character.

Sabi’s auxiliary NOA source has said that character #5 is NOT:

A Bandai-Namco rep, a Capcom rep, or KOS-MOS.

Combining these all together, we have a full list of “insider deconfirms” that looks like the following:

Any Bandai-Namco character including KOS-MOS, any Capcom character, any Sony character, any Ubisoft character, any Level-5 character, any NIS character, any Falcom character, Doom Slayer, Geno, Sora, Ryu Hayabusa, Crash Bandicoot, Tracer, Gordon Freeman, Arle, Sakura, Reimu, Sol, Ragna, Double Dragon, Sam Bridges, Geralt, or Monokuma.

It should be noted here that both Sabi and Vergeben have apparently gotten very weird responses from their source(might be the same for both?) regarding KOS-MOS, with Vergeben getting a unique “not sure” response compared to the rest of the list and Sabi’s source apparently completely avoiding the topic.

Only the NOA source that Sabi apparently doesn’t really talk to anymore has specifically said no KOS-MOS, though Nazyrus and Fatman do vouch for their credibility.

Nintendo directly asking for Joker to be at last year’s TGAs counters that.

It could also easily have turned out that Terry’s specially-animated reveal trailer simply wasn’t ready in time, so they pushed it back.

Last edited:

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Again, most of this work was done by the Reddit user, I’m just streamlining it so it better fits in a single forum post and updating it with newer deconfirms it missed.
I really appreciated this, but it honestly makes me wonder who in the world it could be if all of them are to be believed.
I'm personally choosing to not believe Vergeben this time (Even though that didn't work out very well for me last time :ultincineroar:) I just don't know who it would be if all those deconfirms are true.

My personal guess has been and will continue to be Monokuma (wishful thinking though it may be)
To fit with the costume theory my guess would've been Phoenix Wright (because of the number of Capcom costumes remaining. Although deconfirms kinda throw a wrench in that)
And I still can't fully rule out KOS-MOS either, although that one wouldn't particularly thrill me.

I guess we'll just have to see tomorrow.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mentioned it in the Papageno's Discord but I'm getting the creeping feeling there won't be a VGA Smash announcement unless it's an announcement of an announcement. If the source me and Papa talked to is right, Nintendo is not going to want any competition for the announcement because we all know that they could announce that everyone was getting laid that night and it would still be ignored if they announced a Smash character. I think Nintendo has a different show stealer in mind this year.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

So, I wanted to take this opportunity to apologise to a user by the name of Krono from Gamefaqs. As you all know, he was blamed for the Seven Squares scandal last year and has been used as a poster child for "when insiders mess up." The truth of the matter is that he was innocent. I'm making this post here in the Geno thread for a couple of reasons.

1. I certainly didn't help the situation. Last year, I publicly dragged Krono based on what I thought was the truth. Consider this a call out to myself for condemning an innocent man:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-541#post-22824966

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-570#post-22858250

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-541#post-22825032

2. I honestly believe this situation caused a lot of fighting, especially among Geno and Sora fans. I feel like a lot of the current hostility stems to this scandal and, as one of the front runners of the Geno fanbase, I want to apologise for all the things that were said. I especially want to apologise to Nekoo Nekoo who was one of the first people who I talked to in private when I had a major depressive episode around the VGAs last year. We fought a lot back then but, after being in contact with him this past year, I want to say I'm sorry to him for all the **** I gave him because of the Geno/Sora rivalry thing.

So, with that, you all deserve to know the truth about the Seven Squares. It provided evidence that Geno was talked about in official capacity at Square but I'm sad that an innocent person got dragged for it and people lost their jobs because of the names getting out. Again, I'm sorry and I hope we can move forward in a better way after this.
The compression on the second image is very high, rendering the second quote unreadable

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
I'm very interested to see this surprise showstealer. And if that theory about the Nindies preceding Nintendo directs is true it wouldn't be any skin off my back anyways.

Although the speculation on character 5 is slowly killing me

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I mentioned it in the Papageno's Discord but I'm getting the creeping feeling there won't be a VGA Smash announcement unless it's an announcement of an announcement. If the source me and Papa talked to is right, Nintendo is not going to want any competition for the announcement because we all know that they could announce that everyone was getting laid that night and it would still be ignored if they announced a Smash character. I think Nintendo has a different show stealer in mind this year.
Maybe they are "aiming for the stars" this year

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I think we’ll get a Smash reveal at TGA, I can feel it. If we don’t, we might have to wait until another month to find out who it is, since Nintendo doesn’t usually do Directs in the latter half of the month, let alone December or near holidays in general. If all of the DLC is planned to come out by February 2020 (or possibly even earlier), I think TGA would be the perfect place to reveal it.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Are you sure this isn't a repeat of the Metroid Prime VGA stuff from last year?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
NotGettingMyHopesUpForSmashDirectNotGettingMyHopesUpForSmashDirectNotGettingMyHopesUpForSmashDirectNOTGETTINGMYHOPESUPFORSMASHDIRECT *eye twitching*

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I really appreciated this, but it honestly makes me wonder who in the world it could be if all of them are to be believed.
I'm personally choosing to not believe Vergeben this time (Even though that didn't work out very well for me last time :ultincineroar:) I just don't know who it would be if all those deconfirms are true.

My personal guess has been and will continue to be Monokuma (wishful thinking though it may be)
To fit with the costume theory my guess would've been Phoenix Wright (because of the number of Capcom costumes remaining. Although deconfirms kinda throw a wrench in that)
And I still can't fully rule out KOS-MOS either, although that one wouldn't particularly thrill me.

I guess we'll just have to see tomorrow.
Monokuma has actually been my “realistic” pick for a while now, and I was quite disappointed to hear that Vergeben deconfirmed him. While currently I’m at least tentatively believing the deconfirms, I would not be disappointed if he shows up anyway.

As for KOS-MOS, yes, I absolutely remember Sakurai’s big “relevancy” quote, but she’s on a very, very different level of “obscure” than Terry. While I have nothing particularly against the character, I would legitimately, unironically argue that to international audiences, she’s currently substantially less known than Geno is right now even with her multiple cameo appearances, especially since many of them aren’t actually the character herself but instead her outfit or weapon.

And on the topic of getting a reveal at the TGAs, it seems particularly likely with the recent edits mentioned earlier on this page. That stage isn’t exactly the place for an announcement of an announcement, either.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Monokuma has actually been my “realistic” pick for a while now, and I was quite disappointed to hear that Vergeben deconfirmed him. While currently I’m at least tentatively believing the deconfirms, I would not be disappointed if he shows up anyway.
Who in the nine Hells is monokuma?
NotGettingMyHopesUpForSmashDirectNotGettingMyHopesUpForSmashDirectNotGettingMyHopesUpForSmashDirectNOTGETTINGMYHOPESUPFORSMASHDIRECT *eye twitching*
A smash direct would be nice. Not having to wait for January equally so

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Who in the nine Hells is monokuma?
The main villain/mascot of Danganronpa, a VN mystery series that’s basically Phoenix Wright but set in a high school where students kill each other.

He’s the most prominent character from Spike Chunsoft, a company that has worked closely with Nintendo yet has no representation outside of trophies and Spirits related to things of theirs Nintendo has published, the series is quite liked by Sakurai to the point where he personally sent the creator a “congratulations” letter when he opened up a new studio, and it has really quite good, memorable music when that appears to be legitimately pretty important in this pass.

Monokuma himself is also a character from quite a mature series that would lend incredibly well to bring toned down for Smash’s use in the same vein as Snake/Bayonetta/Joker, often doing some very cartoonish stuff that it would be very easy to make a unique, appropriate moveset out of.

But enough about him, we have officially passed the 36 hours left mark as of half an hour ago! We’re getting so ridiculously close!

D

Deleted member

Minor update on the Challenger Pack 5 page being updated

View attachment 252094
As a web developer, I think it's within the purview of my "expertise" to say that while yes, websites may get updated all the time, webpages do not, unless they're an active blog type deal or have something on them that'd update, say, the literal minutes or seconds, like a clock. Unless things are being done specifically to throw off header snoopers, it's way more likely than not that a page is being worked on for constructive reasons.

What makes no sense, though, is why the live page would be edited. If you're not a very big site - and by that I mean you don't expect much traffic, editing in the production environment would be fine (or if you're YouTube, they seem to make production changes whenever they damn well please). No one's going to see your changes in action and if they do, they probably won't care. But, this is Smash Bros, where people are always buzzing about, trying to find information. You would never make live changes to a webpage that could jeopardize the secrecy of the content, and unless they're using some kind of blog system where they can preview the changes without it going live (which would only update a temporary preview file, not the web page), changes they're unsure about would basically have to be made live. Not to mention if they added something and commented it out, it would be visible in "View Page Source", the oldest trick in the book. Stuff like PHP changes would not be visible, though, as PHP backend is never shown. The TL;DR here is that unless the changes made to the page were server side scripting that doesn't get shown via View Source, changes are essentially able to be tracked by the public.

There could be a script they added to the page that enables something of a one click "go live" function, depending on how they operate the website, which would give the webmaster the ability to update on a moment's notice from anywhere - the kind of functionality one would love to sync up with a live reveal.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The main villain/mascot of Danganronpa, a VN mystery series that’s basically Phoenix Wright but set in a high school where students kill each other.

He’s the most prominent character from Spike Chunsoft, a company that has worked closely with Nintendo yet has no representation outside of trophies and Spirits related to things of theirs Nintendo has published, the series is quite liked by Sakurai to the point where he personally sent the creator a “congratulations” letter when he opened up a new studio, and it has really quite good, memorable music when that appears to be legitimately pretty important in this pass.

Monokuma himself is also a character from quite a mature series that would lend incredibly well to bring toned down for Smash’s use in the same vein as Snake/Bayonetta/Joker, often doing some very cartoonish stuff that it would be very easy to make a unique, appropriate moveset out of.

But enough about him, we have officially passed the 36 hours left mark as of half an hour ago! We’re getting so ridiculously close!
Monokuma in smash would be amazing, pink blood flying everywhere

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Agreed. I’m leaning towards a proper smash direct announcement with a trailer for something else like BOTW2 or maybe even Metroid. Last year I wasn’t expecting a character really and we got Joker. This year we’re all expecting something so I don’t think they want to be that predictable.

The chance for a smash direct next week seems pretty good though. We’re overdue for Smash information (can you believe the last FP character reveal was september 4th?!) and I think they’ll want to get that information out so they can start fresh with the yearly January General Nintendo Direct without Smash overshadowing whatever they want to show in that presentation

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So if they did decide to skip out on a smash reveal tomorrow, do you think the alternative would be a (smash)direct in the coming weeks or do you think they would hold out on us until the supposed january direct?

Really starting to panic its going to be the latter and for some ungodly reason they decided to just skip the reveal proper altogether, given how allergic to release dates or any form of commitment they've been

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

I mean no disrespect (cue the line from the first Thor movie) but like... is this the same dude who was hinting at some big thing-a-majig during the Indie World thinger?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are you sure this isn't a repeat of the Metroid Prime VGA stuff from last year?
This situation is different because this contact isn't a Nintendo employee. He's just kind of a free range info guy that has a lot of connections in the video game industry. Like I said yesterday, he was the only guy that nailed that not only Hero and Banjo would be at E3 but Luminary was going to be the main Hero and not Erdrick. Of course, his info was slightly off because his intel told him that Hero was going to be a Smash tournament reveal and wasn't expecting both him and Banjo to be in the E3 Direct.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I just have to ask....why Kos-Mos? I don't hear much of a demand for her, especially compared to Lloyd, Nightmare, and Tekken. Kos-Mos just seems like a weird choice and honestly I would be a bit disappointed if it was her. From light research, some of the Xenosaga games flopped and it might just be my bias, but I have to question why her, out of all characters? Is Xenosaga that good of a game?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Looks like it’s probably KosMos
Could be, could not be. I'm not about to take any insider stuff too seriously anymore. Sure, that is suspect, but the source could have just not heard anything either which way about KOS-MOS.

I think we're just going in blind, mi familia. Either way, KOS-MOS would be cool, and I sincerely doubt we'd get Geno's and Chocobo's outfits with her, not to mention possible Mallow and Smithy outfits.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Looks like it’s probably KosMos
Here's my question? If confronted at that point, while seemingly willing to share information, why not just say it is KOS-MOS?

I'll admit I don't know the ins-and-outs of insider business, but it seems odd to be coy about it now.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I can't see Kos-Mos being a thing at all.

She's just REALLY random and extremely out of left field in this pack.

Joker, beloved and long running JRPG representative. Probably the most successful Persona game hero to date.
Hero, I mean....Dragon Quest is the size of Final Fantasy in JRPG history. Nuff said.
Banjo Kazooie, beloved fan requested and platformer star.
Terry Bogard, star of a cult in most parts, but iconic and game changing fighting series.

and.....Kos Mos? Robot girl who isn't really a WILDLY talked about contender for Smash, she's not from a game that's particularly game changing, etc, etc.

She sticks out like a sore thumb with these characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom