• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plank08

Smash Lord
As far as FP5, I've essentially got 5 guesses. If I believe Verg, then Kos-Mos. If I believe Sabi, the Phoenix. If I believe cacomallow then Doomslayer. If I throw leaks out and look at circumstantial evidence and "boxes" checked off, then Tracer. If I go with my gut based on nothing else, Sub Zero.

So in terms of likeliness I'm thinking

1. Doomslayer
2. Phoenix
3. Kos-Mos
4. Tracer
5. Sub Zero

Not saying these are the actual likeliness rankings, just how much I'm personally expecting them.
Sub Zero before scorpion would hurt like hell, thankfully, it has like a 1% chance of happening.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I'm just going to push back the essay until I'm actually on my mandatory Christmas vacation... For a lot of reasons you all have seen here, I've been really stressed out as of late and, a couple of weeks ago, one of my coworkers ran over one of his feet with one of our rideable floor cleaning machines, twisting it around and I have to take over his shift until he comes back (probably February). The thing is that his shift starts at 4am which means I have to get up at 3am to get ready for work. Normally I drive around and take care of like 5/6 buildings but now I'm taking care of basically half of one and with ridiculous hours (my regular shift starts at 7am). That said, on a lot of days I'm bored and tired and with all the online bull**** it's gotten to be a bit much and I find myself coming home and passing out for several hours when I get home around noon. Because I work on a college campus, the University is open for one more week and then we get a mandatory paid vacation for about two weeks. That said, I'm probably better off just waiting until then. The chances of Geno being 5 or shown at the VGAs are microscopic anyways and, based on some more things I heard today, I'm even back to doubting a Smash announcement there anyways. I know it's been super annoying and I know a lot of you have been waiting on it but I'm writing like a paragraph in bed and then falling asleep within half an hour and it's been like this for over a week now. Hope you all are okay with this.
Post whenever you want to! You’re doing this out of the kindness of your own heart, after all; you never owed it to us to begin with. I just have one request. Even if Geno gets revealed at the Game Awards, like as the first post-pass character or something, (which I don’t personally think he will, but it’s possible), I would still hope that you will post the essay anyway, maybe with an updated conclusion. I’m sure many other people would love to see all the work you put into it just like I would, even in Geno has already made it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, if we were to see the Doom Slayer at VGA, how do you think that would influence speculation for Geno in the overall community?

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
You know, if we were to see the Doom Slayer at VGA, how do you think that would influence speculation for Geno in the overall community?
Geno would become the new Banjo; the one character that dominates speculation for a good long while

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Geno would become the new Banjo; the one character that dominates speculation for a good long while
Yeah, especially if the Doom Mii customs are releveled and that exact Cacodemon hat is seen. That wouldn't happen at the VGAs of course, but when it's time for Sakurai to go in depth with the character, that will be the opportunity.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Looks over at the Mallow and Cacodemon Mii costumes
Nah, probably not. I don't see any correlation between the two that would make people talk about Geno.

link2702

Smash Champion
man it's still kinda surreal for me to think about how big and popular Geno has gotten over the years...Isn't this now the largest newcomer thread on smashboards?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
man it's still kinda surreal for me to think about how big and popular Geno has gotten over the years...Isn't this now the largest newcomer thread on smashboards?
The largest Speculation Thread in the history of Smashboards' website. I am also willing it it top 10 of all time on the site. (But it might be less than a few other socials)

D

Deleted member

Don’t let me get my hopes up for a Smash Direct announcement
Don’t let me get my hopes up for a Smash Direct announcement
A Smash direct would be much better. We would have more content revealed than just a character reveal. We could even get a preview of DLC post Pass.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Well that all depends. If it's just Doomguy, then not much changes in terms of speculation. If it's Doomguy and he doesn't come with a Cacodemon Hat, Geno's chances remain relatively unaffected but that would definitely kill the CacoMallow post. If we see the Cacodemon Hat in addition to Doomguy and it's the exact same one as seen in the post, then it's pretty much confirmed that Geno's coming as a fighter.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
To quote Arlo, Nintendo are the kings of left field. They know that and take pride in it.

Sure, the safe bet is that Nintendo will announce Fighter #5. ...but what if that's why Nintendo WON'T announce Fighter #5 at the VGA? It is so obvious that Nintendo subverts expectations and holds off on revealing it?

...or what if they KNOW that people will think that and buck the left field trend and reveal a character anyway? Ugh... man, Nintendo legitimately plays 4D chess sometimes. Personally, I think Fighter #5 at the VGA seems pretty darn likely, but if they didn't, I would have no doubt of a January Nintendo Direct.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Geno fans are just really dedicated and effective at spreading their word around. You guys managed to make "some irrelevant puppet from a 20 year old Mario game" into a big boy of Smash newcomer discussions and turned randos like me into your own. That's pretty incredible!

Careful out there, don't go around posting images without a Geno hat.

ladies and gents fasten your seatbelts geno.png

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well that all depends. If it's just Doomguy, then not much changes in terms of speculation. If it's Doomguy and he doesn't come with a Cacodemon Hat, Geno's chances remain relatively unaffected but that would definitely kill the CacoMallow post. If we see the Cacodemon Hat in addition to Doomguy and it's the exact same one as seen in the post, then it's pretty much confirmed that Geno's coming as a fighter.
You see, heres the thing I have been thinking about. I think it's safe to say Nintendo would know about this leak. If it is real, they would know that showing the hat would pretty much spoil Geno, so they might take some drastic measures to make sure that they don't spoil the surprise. I mean, it is just a hat, I would not be shocked if they trashed it and replaced it with something else if they had time.

D

Deleted member

Was there anything against the CacoMallow leak as of now?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You see, heres the thing I have been thinking about. I think it's safe to say Nintendo would know about this leak. If it is real, they would know that showing the hat would pretty much spoil Geno, so they might take some drastic measures to make sure that they don't spoil the surprise. I mean, it is just a hat, I would not be shocked if they trashed it and replaced it with something else if they had time.
Well, that is unless we got a dual reveal or even a reveal for Geno BEFORE we see Doom Marine's costume line-up, so... I dunno.

I'm praying so hard that he gets in. He's the last character I want, the last piece of the puzzle. If he gets in, I'll be done with Smash speculation for good. No more of this.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
JUST ONE MORE DAY! GIVE IT UP FOR JUST ONE MORE DAY!!!

KrabsDay1.png

Oh! It seems the Smash Ball from last night has been broken! Mr. Krabs is about to unleash his Final Smash!

Tomorrow night I'll gather up all of my Countdown Krabs images and then post the last one.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
No, not really. I mean, people can make similar Mii hats, but not to the quality of the ones in the video.

Edit:
Well, that is unless we got a dual reveal or even a reveal for Geno BEFORE we see Doom Marine's costume line-up, so... I dunno.

I'm praying so hard that he gets in. He's the last character I want, the last piece of the puzzle. If he gets in, I'll be done with Smash speculation for good. No more of this.
A dual reveal between Doom Slayer and Geno would be quite a sight. Probably a good way to showcase the end of the pass while hyping up the next batch of DLC. How would that trailer even go though?

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
No, not really. I mean, people can make similar Mii hats, but not to the quality of the ones in the video.

Edit:

A dual reveal between Doom Slayer and Geno would be quite a sight. Probably a good way to showcase the end of the pass while hyping up the next batch of DLC. How would that trailer even go though?
Geno fights the forces of Galeem, Doom Slayer fights the forces of Dharkon.

Heaven and Hell.

And speaking of Heaven or Hell...

Sol Badguy joins the fray unexpectedly.

"LET'S ROCK!"

I mean it'll never happen but it's thematically sick in my eyes.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm at work on break and even know it's a little early for this, I'm dropping this anyway:

One more day until VGA.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
We've latched on so hard to the image of Geno and Doomslayer as Battle Brothers that I just imagine that one scene from Infinity War with Bucky and Rocket

original.gif

link2702

Smash Champion
well damn...tried to resize my avatar to get it to all fit but for whatever reason I can't get it quite right....

ah well, I fixed it a bit so the words in the top corner aren't showing.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
If that were the case, then they should've scrapped Ken when he was leaked, or Hero when he was datamined, or Banjo when Shinobi leaked him and everyone from Gamexplain to Vergeben knew he was coming. Hell if that's the case, they should've just canceled Smash Ultimate altogether given how that was leaked beforehand. I don't think Sakurai and company would we willing to completely scrap something they've made just because it was leaked or it's being leaked spoils something else, that would be a total waste of time and effort.
Nothing conclusive. It's been shown that it's possible to mod in hats, but so far no one has been able to replicate the hats at the same level of quality as shown in the post. One such detail that seems to be very difficult to replicate is how the interior of the hat encircles the Mii's face.
CacodemonHatComparison.png

Left: CacoMallow post
Middle: Recreation A, done in blender
Right: Recreation B, in-engine mod

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I’m still holding out hope it’s Master Chief at the VGAs, though I realize that might be unpopular as it could disprove the costume thing. Zell’s latter post seems more speculatory than his others, especially considering he appears unaware that Microsoft already has multiple Geoff-confirmed “slots” already for Gears Tactics and the new Ori game, along with the show literally being presented at the Microsoft Theater.

A Chief/Geno double reveal would practically melt my brain.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If that were the case, then they should've scrapped Ken when he was leaked, or Hero when he was datamined, or Banjo when Shinobi leaked him and everyone from Gamexplain to Vergeben knew he was coming. Hell if that's the case, they should've just canceled Smash Ultimate altogether given how that was leaked beforehand. I don't think Sakurai and company would we willing to completely scrap something they've made just because it was leaked or it's being leaked spoils something else, that would be a total waste of time and effort.
It's a hat, not a character. A lot less time went into it comparatively, and with how far back this leak happened, theyay have time to make a replacement. They may not do that, but I am bringing up a possibility.

Edit:
Plus, all those leaks were individual, they didn't leak any other character by revealing their existence.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Well, if Fighter 5 isn't at the Game Awards it will no doubt be shortly after

View attachment 252060
Bunch of related questions for a theory:

Is there a way to check all the times a webpage was updated rather than just the last-modified as seen above? If yes, when was FP5 last updated before the SNK leak on the FP4 page happened? If FP5 was also updated around the same time as FP4 (when we got the leak), what companies specifically were listed under the copyright section? Does each DLC character list all copyrights, or just the basegame copyrights + that character's company? If the latter, again what companies specifically were listed on the FP5 during that timeframe?

Not sure if any of that is doable now, but if possible, and as I hypothesize, the FP5 page was mostly-likely "updated" at the same time as FP4 and both might have technically been leaked, but FP5 went unnoticed because FP5 is actually a character from a company already in the basegame, whether Nintendo (or one of its already-repped subsidiaries) or Konami/SEGA/Capcom/Namco/Square Enix.

Might be bad news for Geno in the sense that it wouldn't bode well for a Doomguy reveal, which would kill the idea of a double-reveal unless FP5 is Geno and it's the other way around. But that's probably unlikely at this point, especially considering both have been disconfirmed for FP5 by Sabi (whose methods, while shady, don't invalidate the findings necessarily)

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
But that's probably unlikely at this point, especially considering both have been disconfirmed for FP5 by Sabi (whose methods, while shady, don't invalidate the findings necessarily)
If I'm being honest, I've thrown out both Sabi and Verg's deconfirmation list at this point; both of them keep coming up with conflicting answers and we've gotten to a point of cross-referencing both of their findings.

Unless one of them nuts up and says a name and stands by it, I'm going with my gut, it's one of the supposedly deconfirmed characters

MisterMike

Smash Champion
It's a hat, not a character. A lot less time went into it comparatively, and with how far back this leak happened, they may have time to make a replacement. They may not do that, but I am bringing up a possibility.

Edit:
Plus, all those leaks were individual, they didn't leak any other character by revealing their existence.
True, but even if the hat itself is inexpensive enough that it can be scrapped and replaced, the IP sure as hell isn't cheap. Scrapping that means that they'd have to go and renegotiate with the IP holder in order to use a different character as the basis for that next hat/costume. That would take even more time, money and effort that could've gone towards other content, and would generally not be worth it, even for a simple hat.

And can you imagine how that'd work out for them if that were the case? They make a hat, but then that hat gets leaked, so they remove it and replace it with something else. What if that new something else also gets leaked? Then they'd have to replace it again, meaning that they'd once again have to scrap whatever they've made and make another new one. It would be a never-ending struggle between Sakurai and the leakers as he'd have to keep replacing all of the hats every time they get leaked. Eventually the company they'd be dealing with would run out of characters to use, so they'd have to start making new characters just so Sakurai and company can continue to make new costumes/hats. Lives would be lost, buildings destroyed, the streets would run red with the blood of those poor 3D modelers. It would be hell on earth to a downright Seinfeldian degree. Is that the future you want, you sick weirdo?!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom