• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Of course they mean a lot to others, I'm not trying to undermine them. I just gave an opinion and showed what my tastes in games are a little bit. And I said that I do like Soul Calibur. It's Tales Of and Guilty Gear that I don't care for personally.
Then why did you say this:

Doesnt help that Sol and Lloyd mean nothing to me personally.
You made it sound like you didn't like Soul Calibur either.

Out of all the deconfirmed characters none of them are from bandi namco I think that’s fat mans reasoningn for Lloyd or nightmare
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and the whole Sabi server and myself probably went off with the Namco rep inclusion because logically guessing who else seems to be impossible right now. Another Namco rep seems likely because because there is evidence backing it up.

Last edited:

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
So who's the remaining Mii costumes?
Geno, Chocobo, Lloyd, Heihachi, Gil, and Rathalos? I think I got them all.

Who is going to happen then? Because you're just saying this just to spite optimism at this point.
Apologies for my ignorance, who's Gil? Thanks!

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Thinking about Nightmare’s moveset (since Lloyd’s moves translate so easily to Smash that it’s almost not worth discussing)

Nightmare’s standard attacks are pretty obvious but I’m stuck on potential special moves. Maybe give him some Night Terror stuff? A face laser Neutral B and sprout wings for Up B?

Man I wanna see Geno and Nightmare shooting lasers at each other in a video game

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Who is going to happen then? Because you're just saying this just to spite optimism at this point.
Right now people are going on the assumption that ANY character we heard recently is going to happen in the next wave of DLC. "Oh Ryu Hayabusa isn't going to be the 5th but next wave it's going to happen. Oh Crash got deconfirmed but he's shaping to be the next wave DLC because that one troll leaker who got Mii Costumes right said it. Oh Dante got deconfirmed BUT HE'S TOTALLY GOING TO BE DLC NEXT WAVE. Oh looks like Doomguy ain't the fifth fighter but... Oh Sol Badguy isn't the fifth... Nightmare... Lloyd is totally gonna be the fifth cause people heard of him. ALL OF THESE CHARACTERS THAT LEAKERS HAVE HEARD ARE SO IN THE RUNNING FOR THE NEXT COMING OF DLC!!!!"
NO
We heard of so many characters right now, do people honestly think we would have knowledge of EIGHT (Lloyd, Crash, Nightmare, Sol Badguy, Geno, Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, and Doomguy) possible DLC Fighters when literally the ONLY character we ever knew about way in advance was HERO?

We found out that Banjo was in a week before release. There was one guy who knew about Terry a month before and only confirmed it after Nintendo leaked it themselves. How in the world is it extremely likely that we would know about 8 fighters way in advance when nobody is agreeing on the Fifth Fighter?

Maybe 1 or 2 of these leaked character might get in (Monkeys & Typewriters), but if you honestly believe that we would know this much this early on that is just disillusion.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Then why did you say this:

You made it sound like you didn't like Soul Calibur either.
Sol as in Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear. The three characters that Fatmanonice mentioned were Nightmare, Lloyd, and Sol Badguy. I should've said the full name.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Thinking about Nightmare’s moveset (since Lloyd’s moves translate so easily to Smash that it’s almost not worth discussing)

Nightmare’s standard attacks are pretty obvious but I’m stuck on potential special moves. Maybe give him some Night Terror stuff? A face laser Neutral B and sprout wings for Up B?

Man I wanna see Geno and Nightmare shooting lasers at each other in a video game
????????????? ????????????? made a video on Nightmare's potential Smash moveset:

It's pretty good.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Apologies for my ignorance, who's Gil? Thanks!
Gilgamesh from Tower of Druaga. It's a pretty obscure game, and by my understanding, it's a rather frustrating one. From what I've read, it helped to encourage a greater sense of community in arcades (with players using what they learned through their attempts to give other players advice), though a lot of it seemed to involve things that nobody could possibly figure out except through trial-and-error or blind luck.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
That's what I think. My theory is that Heihachi was removed from Terry for Lloyd or Nightmare, probably because if Heihachi was seen back, Lloyd fans would freak out even more and arguably "ruin the surprise."
I don’t think that is why.

That should’ve been the absolute best time to reveal that costume, without a doubt. But if you are saying “he will be alongside a Namco rep”, why didn’t they reveal the Virtua Fighter costumes alongside Joker? (When all of the Sega costumes were shown?)

Also, how do you know all of these names aren’t leakbait? If the main source who actually knows the character doesn’t want anyone to know, how do you know that what you are being told has any truth at all?

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
Why does everyone forget that there are two versions of monster hunter mii costumes, the rathalos one and default one

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Right now people are going on the assumption that ANY character we heard recently is going to happen in the next wave of DLC. "Oh Ryu Hayabusa isn't going to be the 5th but next wave it's going to happen. Oh Crash got deconfirmed but he's shaping to be the next wave DLC because that one troll leaker who got Mii Costumes right said it. Oh Dante got deconfirmed BUT HE'S TOTALLY GOING TO BE DLC NEXT WAVE. Oh looks like Doomguy ain't the fifth fighter but... Oh Sol Badguy isn't the fifth... Nightmare... Lloyd is totally gonna be the fifth cause people heard of him. ALL OF THESE CHARACTERS THAT LEAKERS HAVE HEARD ARE SO IN THE RUNNING FOR THE NEXT COMING OF DLC!!!!"
NO
We heard of so many characters right now, do people honestly think we would have knowledge of EIGHT (Lloyd, Crash, Nightmare, Sol Badguy, Geno, Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, and Doomguy) possible DLC Fighters when literally the ONLY character we ever knew about way in advance was HERO?

We found out that Banjo was in a week before release. There was one guy who knew about Terry a month before and only confirmed it after Nintendo leaked it themselves. How in the world is it extremely likely that we would know about 8 fighters way in advance when nobody is agreeing on the Fifth Fighter?

Maybe 1 or 2 of these leaked character might get in (Monkeys & Typewriters), but if you honestly believe that we would know this much this early on that is just disillusion.
Gotta say, siding with you on this one. Aside from Hero all of the DLC were under lock and key until either a week or so before the announcement or Nintendo leaking them themselves. Literally no one to my knowledge knew of Joker before the VGA 2018. Only leak I'm somewhat paying attention to is the Mii Costume leak as I don't think the ability to mod costumes in the game outright kills it, and I'm not believing in most of these other characters until I see them in action.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
????????????? ????????????? made a video on Nightmare's potential Smash moveset:

It's pretty good.
First I wanna say that Nightmare has some of the most metal attack names I’ve ever heard

But overall I think that’s a pretty solid moveset! I do think the “stance change” concept is good, but I imagine it’d probably be a bit simpler than what he described here. Also I don’t know if it’d be Neutral B only because I have no idea what it’d do for Kirby

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
quick question for Nazyrus Nazyrus or Fatmanonice Fatmanonice since there are some.... interesting rumors going on in the newcomer speculation thread I'd like to ask a real quick question: If Sora were to get in what do you think are the chances of Geno's Mii costume returning with him are (if you're allowed to say)?

Would it be like Hero where he wouldn't get any of the returning Square costume? would he get both Chocobo and Geno? Or even possibly just Chocobo (since KH is a FF/Disney crossover) and no Geno?
I personally dont know what they would decide to put in sora's pack. I could see spirits and miis be all around OG kh characters like riku kairi roxas etc and no actual square stuff.... or they could throw square stuff in the mix. I dont think there is any way to know what will they do if sora ever gets in, unless it leaks of course, but good luck with that since disney is good at keeping secrets mostly lol.

Off topic from the mii part, i think sora is a curveball that can happen whenever. I personally dont see why he would be unlikely "now" or anything like that, no one knows anything to say so, he could happen any time if they have him under their sleeves or something. Of course, we havent heard anything on him, so the opposite is just as likely. Just saiying.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
First I wanna say that Nightmare has some of the most metal attack names I’ve ever heard

But overall I think that’s a pretty solid moveset! I do think the “stance change” concept is good, but I imagine it’d probably be a bit simpler than what he described here. Also I don’t know if it’d be Neutral B only because I have no idea what it’d do for Kirby
I agree, I think the "stance change" conspect might be a little too technical for Smash. But boi would I take it.

Last edited:

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Gilgamesh from Tower of Druaga. It's a pretty obscure game, and by my understanding, it's a rather frustrating one. From what I've read, it helped to encourage a greater sense of community in arcades (with players using what they learned through their attempts to give other players advice), though a lot of it seemed to involve things that nobody could possibly figure out except through trial-and-error or blind luck.
Thanks! I never heard of this character at all, much appreciated.

OffBi

Smash Ace
If anyone actually thinks that Lloyd is the 5th character in the pass, they aren't the smartest tool in the shed.

D

Deleted member

I agree, I think the "stance change" conspect might be a little too technical for Smash. But boi would I take it.
Shulk is basically a stance change character and Pokemon Trainer takes the concept to its logical extreme.

As far is Sora is concerned, the thing that would make me happiest is for Geno to come with a Sora costume. Just once I want to see Nintendo being tone deaf benefit me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, how do you know all of these names aren’t leakbait? If the main source who actually knows the character doesn’t want anyone to know, how do you know that what you are being told has any truth at all?
That's the gambit. Like I said, I got permission to share these names so people with actual skin in the game are fairly confident that the names getting out won't get anyone in trouble, at least if the sources are kept a secret too. For example, I knew Banjo in early April and heavily hinted at it but nobody got in trouble because, as promised, the identities of the Microsoft informants were kept secret.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Shulk is basically a stance change character and Pokemon Trainer takes the concept to its logical extreme.

As far is Sora is concerned, the thing that would make me happiest is for Geno to come with a Sora costume. Just once I want to see Nintendo being tone deaf benefit me.
True, but Nightmare comes from a technical fighting game so it would be harder to implement Nightmare's stance properly without butchering it to give it justice. Technical fighting game movesets is the reason we didn't get Heihachi already as he was planned for Smash 4's DLC lineup, but Sakurai didn't add him due to how hard it would be to implement his moveset from Tekken properly over to Smash.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I'm racking my brain trying to think what changed over the course of seemingly half a day that has given us Fatman (mostly) Unchained. Something pretty substantial must've happened behind the scenes.

Anyway, I really don't feel like Lloyd is #5. I'm recently really latched to the theory that Reggie was not fronting or advertising - the trend thus far has been characters/franchises not just not represented in this iteration of Smash, but characters/franchises not represented in any Smash game ever, and only one of them was even close to being represented, as a trophy, according to Sakurai supposedly - unless you want to reach like Mr. Fantastic and say that King of Fighters has been repped since Smash 4 thanks to the invitations. I think Fighter 5 could be revealed tomorrow and turn out to be a first party Nintendo character, but even in that situation, they'd have to have never been in Smash in any form whatsoever, not trophy, sticker, costume, not even a music track.

I went off about it not long ago, but to once more be the biggest debbie downer possible, seriously think about the implications of Lloyd being #5. In a DLC season of characters no one asked for (Banjo excluded), they decide to upgrade one final costume from 4... and it's generic anime protagonist Lloyd Irving. In the baleful universe where these 5 characters are all we got, I think it would be safe to say at that point that everyone who ever wanted Geno is a ****ing joke to Sakurai and Nintendo. Not even Nintendo is that dumb.

Honestly, I kind of have my doubts that #5 is even a Namco character. A lot of their front runners, by the above mentioned trend, are dead in the water thanks to Pac Man's taunt, of all things - Soul Calibur being one of the few franchises not represented by it.

That should’ve been the absolute best time to reveal that costume, without a doubt. But if you are saying “he will be alongside a Namco rep”, why didn’t they reveal the Virtua Fighter costumes alongside Joker? (When all of the Sega costumes were shown?)

The Mii Costume thing honestly far, far more points to a post-pass Lloyd than him as #5.

Imagine, it’s late July. The current plan is to bring Geno and Chocobo back as part of Wave Two, Lloyd back as part of the Wave Three “smorgasbord” wave, and Heihachi as part of Wave Four with the other fighting game costumes.

But wait, right before they’re about to finalize all this, Sakurai finally gets the go-ahead from up above to promote Geno and Lloyd. What to do now?

Well, obviously, rip the relevant costumes from their upcoming waves. It kind of ruins the six-per-wave plan they had going on, but who cares, they’ll be put to much, much better use as two post-pass fighters.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If anyone actually thinks that Lloyd is the 5th character in the pass, they aren't the smartest tool in the shed.
I think the same thing could be said about someone banking on FP5 to be a Capcom rep, Doom Slayer, Hayabusa, Crash, or any other character everyone brings up more then ten times a day.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatman, while you are here, did you hear anything about Rayman getting in?
I can't answer dead on questions like that but the names we've shared are kind of par the course for the rest: very few females, no indies, very few Western characters, and overwhelmingly third party. Crash had been heard and Banjo's already in. I think there's a decent chance for one more at this time but I'm warning people in advance not to expect a ton.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

True, but Nightmare comes from a technical fighting game so it would be harder to implement Nightmare's stance properly without butchering it to give it justice.
Ryu, Ken, and Terry are all from fighting games with more attack buttons than Smash can imagine, and despite Sakurai admitting that KoF has light and heavy punch and kick, Terry didn't come with the Light/Heavy variations that Ryu and Ken have even though they have light, medium, and heavy in their home games. The gimmick is the input moves and for Terry, the gimmick is the desperation moves. If Nightmare's gimmick is gonna be a stance change, it can be assigned to one button and be done "justice". I mean, for as much as I go on about how Sakurai's been trying to be more true to the home game of characters that get added nowadays, Joker's pretty far from that concept, yet still does the Persona series justice as being a regular anime schoolboy who happens to have a stand.

I have to talk out of my ass about a lot of franchises that might be getting representation in the DLC, but gameplay wise, Tekken/Soul Calibur is not one of them, so I can confidently say there's a lot more to do justice for in Soul Calibur than just the idea of Nightmare having a stance change.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I think it's technically a three-way rivalry, considering Monster Hunter hasn't been deconfirmed yet (at least as far as I know).

Still, allow me to supply the appropriate music...
Joker is on the screen, steals from more characters, poses "Looking cool, Joker!"

"So...the one who ACTUALLY committed the crime was YOU!"

Joker: ?!

"No alibi, no justice, no dream, no HOPE!"

Joker: !

"It's time for you pay for you to pay for your crimes, TAKE THIS~!"

Joker: !!!

*blast zone noises*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So a lot has gone down here in a short amount of time, and of course some of it was people freaking out because they cannot read or research so papagenos papagenos had to post something to clarify, but I digress...

Some actual progress has been made, and based on what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has been saying...I am now SO VERY CLOSE TO GOING FULL TEAM LLOYD IT HURTS! I say this because Reggie's words at last years VGAs have so far rung true and it would lead me to believe that we would get Nightmare, but getting another fighting game character after Terry seems like a bit much and Tekken would be the choice to pull from but we all know that even with a the option for two side-B moves Tekken is way to complicated to implement in Smash. Smash players are already wracking their brains to do a simple double fireball motion, so there is no way Tekken could come into play. You may say we've gotten two JRPG characters, but there is a difference here because JRPG characters are actually requested where as fighting game characters really are not.

You know what, I'll just say it here: unless something big happens, I'm going full Lloyd Irving. If I'm wrong then oh well, you can't win them all and it will likely be a Bamco rep overall anyway. Glad to see a lot of you are also on the Lloyd train, just a little sad it took something this big to even make him an option for some of you when we've already had good evidence behind him for months now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can't answer dead on questions like that but the names we've heard are kind of par the course for the rest: very few females, no indies, very few Western characters, and overwhelmingly third party. Crash had been heard and Banjo's already in. I think there's a decent chance for one more at this time but I'm warning people in advance not to expect a ton.
If you put it that way, as long as Geno makes it in I'll be happy and satisfied with this game. I'll especially be happy for you Fatman.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
That's the gambit. Like I said, I got permission to share these names so people with actual skin in the game are fairly confident that the names getting out won't get anyone in trouble, at least if the sources are kept a secret too. For example, I knew Banjo in early April and heavily hinted at it but nobody got in trouble because, as promised, the identities of the Microsoft informants were kept secret.
Ok.... but here is the question that I have.

If you are aware that Lloyd and Nightmare are most likely leakbait for the VGAs, why share them at all? And potentially give their fans false hope?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Yeah Shulk is pretty much the extent of a stance change character I’d expect for a single character, since Pokemon Trainer is treated as three characters. The video suggested that Nightmare would have FIVE additional stances and that all of them would change his standard, dash, and tilt attacks, meaning he’d essentially have 25 more attacks than the average character which is why I said it seemed a little more complicated than I’d expect.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

I read that entire thing in Kokichi's voice. Funny enough this is the kind of stuff he would say. I'm assuming you are a Danganronpa fan? If so, nice to meet you. There doesn't seem to be too many of us on here.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I read that entire thing in Kokichi's voice. Funny enough this is the kind of stuff he would say. I'm assuming you are a Danganronpa fan? If so, nice to meet you. There doesn't seem to be too many of us on here.
I indeed am. In fact, Monokuma is definitley my most wanted, and I’d say it is a good sign that he has survived the deconfimation wave up to this point.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

If you are aware that Lloyd and Nightmare are most likely leakbait for the VGAs, why share them at all? And potentially give their fans false hope?
I just said that there was high confidence that they weren't. Of the four "new" names that came out yesterday, Dante is the only one that's been strongly accused of this. Not proven. Accused. Big difference. He's considered fishy but not necessarily false because there's not enough evidence to totally disregard him. On this topic, we've probably have heard a good two dozen names in the past year but the other 14 have either been hard deconfirmed or have strong evidence of being leakbait/total bull**** like Million Arthur and Steve. That said, these 10 passed the first round of screening in that they're realistic in what we've heard.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

I think you are super-imposing that they are more likely leakbait than they actually are. Fatman is saying that it's entirely possible the names could be leakbait but he's confident enough in what has been said and heard that they are wroth sharing, both due to possibly being something realizable and also not setting anyone up on the chopping block.

EDIT: Fatmanonice Fatmanonice can take care of his own business, I should have left it alone.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
You know what, I'll just say it here: unless something big happens, I'm going full Lloyd Irving. If I'm wrong then oh well, you can't win them all and it will likely be a Bamco rep overall anyway. Glad to see a lot of you are also on the Lloyd train, just a little sad it took something this big to even make him an option for some of you when we've already had good evidence behind him for months now.
Real
Irving
HOURS

D

Deleted member

Yeah Shulk is pretty much the extent of a stance change character I’d expect for a single character, since Pokemon Trainer is treated as three characters. The video suggested that Nightmare would have FIVE additional stances and that all of them would change his standard, dash, and tilt attacks, meaning he’d essentially have 25 more attacks than the average character which is why I said it seemed a little more complicated than I’d expect.
Pokemon Trainer might be treated as three separate characters and numbered as such, but I feel like a mastery of using all three of them is the intent, or else they would have just been brought back as properly balanced individuals. Hero has what, 21 more specials than the average character? A character who has 25 more normals than the average character isn't such a stretch anymore. But hey, I was hoping for a dream moveset Isaac/Felix to have 12 different specials before Hero even came out and set it as a reality so maybe I'm just way more open to the idea.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I've considered Lloyd a good candidate for a while. I just don't really support him because I don't know anything about him or his games. I would be happy for his fans and I would still buy him, but I can't say I would be very excited about his inclusion.

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
So, in the end, my conclusion last week was that #5 would be Lloyd, Dante, Nightmare, Sol, or somebody nobody had heard like Terry or Joker.
Sort of half piggybacking on nessdeltarune00's second point from a few posts of theirs earlier, given yesterday's events and your own speculation train of thought, how likely in your current view is #5 to be an undiscussed unknown?

Also was going to address some of the other points in nessdeltarune00's post but looks like you guys have already said what I was thinking with far more eloquence than I have at 2:30 am lol

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I just said that there was high confidence that they weren't. Of the four "new" names that came out yesterday, Dante is the only one that's been strongly accused of this. Not proven. Accused. Big difference. He's considered fishy but not necessarily false because there's not enough evidence to totally disregard him. On this topic, we've probably have heard a good two dozen names in the past year but the other 14 have either been hard deconfirmed or have strong evidence of being leakbait/total bull**** like Million Arthur and Steve. That said, these 10 passed the first round of screening in that they're realistic in what we've heard.

I guess that I misunderstood your post then.

But if that is the case, then why are you saying that there is a good chance that it could also be someone out of left field? If it really just boils down to those names?

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
How does Geno compared to all the names you've heard so far. If you were to personally rank them, where would Geno fare?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
If you put it that way, as long as Geno makes it in I'll be happy and satisfied with this game. I'll especially be happy for you Fatman.
I'm pretty much considering Banjo and Geno to be first party at this point.

So when its all said and done, Ultimate's roster addition will have more 3rd parties than 1st party. That just feels.... off.

Also, despite the big deal they made about them, I feel that they underutilized the echo fighter concept.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Pokemon Trainer might be treated as three separate characters and numbered as such, but I feel like a mastery of using all three of them is the intent, or else they would have just been brought back as properly balanced individuals. Hero has what, 21 more specials than the average character? A character who has 25 more normals than the average character isn't such a stretch anymore. But hey, I was hoping for a dream moveset Isaac/Felix to have 12 different specials before Hero even came out and set it as a reality so maybe I'm just way more open to the idea.
That’s a fair point about Hero, put that way it doesn’t seem as much of a stretch.
Oh man, does your dream Isaac/Felix moveset have them changing Djinn to switch psynergy elements? Because that’d be so cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom