• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffBi

Smash Ace
So should we speculate what character could be the 5th dlc.
We now know that they've never been brought up as a candidate, so probably a character that we overlooked like Terry bogard.
I think that it could mayyyyybe Gordon Freeman

D

Deleted member

Based on everything Gordon would be someone we don't see coming and he'd be a perfect reveal for the Game Awards.

Lots of Half-Life fans there so I could see it.

Plus like I've said before I'm down for him getting in.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/486057606

This was posted in the KOS-MOS thread don't think it means anything but interesting news.

Don't If any of it happens full credit to who posted it. ES. Dinah.
I always have to state every time that I have nothing specifically against these characters, but...

KOS-MOS would legitimately be the most “literally who” TGA reveal ever for the general viewership. Geno is unironically more relevant right now than she is, purely due to Smash speculation.

Again, the general disclaimer: This is specifically on the topic of a TGA reveal as #5. She could totally have a legitimate chance for post-pass.

We now know that they've never been brought up as a candidate, so probably a character that we overlooked like Terry bogard.
Wait, what? Where’s the source for that “never brought up” thing?

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Based on everything Gordon would be someone we don't see coming and he'd be a perfect reveal for the Game Awards.

Lots of Half-Life fans there so I could see it.

Plus like I've said before I'm down for him getting in.
I'm at a total loss as to who fighter 5 could be and I think whoever it is will probably be an out there pick like Joker and Terry. So the best we could do is spitball some ideas I guess.

Gordon Freeman definitely fits the description of an odd ball character like I was talking about and if there's a new Half Life on the horizon I could see them wanting to promote that. The biggest issue I see is that Nintendo and Valve don't really have much of a relationship AFAIK.

And I mean, come on guys, we all know Heavy would be the Valve rep instead...

ezgif-6-303dc523c315.gif

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
His unveiling, he will be exposed to the entire world...when the time of the prophecy comes, when all is revealed then the people of the world will rejoice already knowing who the star warrior is

link2702

Smash Champion
I also had idea for a fun little gimmick Geno could have. I remember someone mentioning that one of Geno's taunts should be him lifting his hat and pulling out an item that has no effect and is only for show.

But what if it DID have an effect? It's already established that some taunts can do damage or effect battle in small ways, so why not give him a taunt that's completely randomized like Hero's magic casting? Every item he pulls from his hat is random, and most won't have any effect, for example, Honey Syrup, so you can't just spam it for benefits. But very rarely he can pull an item that does have a effect:

Mushroom: Heal a small amount of damage.
Bracer: Reduces damage and knockback Geno takes briefly
Energizer: Increases damage and knockback Geno does briefly
Sleepy Bomb: Puts anyone near Geno to sleep for a few seconds
Fire Bomb: Creates an explosion around Geno with decent knockback.
Ice Bomb: Freezes anyone nearby Geno briefly

And the two rarest ones to get:
Rock Candy: Unleashes an attack that looks and acts like a slightly weaker PK Starstorm that spreads across the screen.
Yoshi-Ade: A combination of the Bracer and Energizer, that lasts slightly longer.

I dunno, just a fun idea. It just goes to show how much potential Geno has to be fun to play as, which is exactly what appeals to Sakurai more than anything.
I mentioned something similar a looong time ago, but it was far more restrictive, basically all the items he pulled were useless except 3, those three were mushroom, mid mushroom, and max mushroom. Each one would heal him a certain amount. Normal shrooms the most common only healed for about 3%, mids, 10, max mushrooms the rarest, 25% (just shooting random %’s could be less, could be more, most likely should be less.) mids and max’s could only appear once per stock, normal ones could only appear 3 times.

The reason I feel it should be so restrictive is that taunts really should be just that, taunts imo, and with taunt cancelling, I really don’t want to see geno’s metagame revolve around spamming the hell out of taunts for item bonuses. Not to mention this would hinder him in quick play. Cuz if this ended up as one of his gimmicks, he’d probably be mediocre in a lot of areas to balance out his stat bonuses from hat items, so anyone playing him in quick play would By default be at a slight disadvantage compared to other modes.

I know the quick play one really shouldn’t matter in his actual metagame, I just don’t like the idea of him being handicapped in one mode vs others, Luigi and snakes taunts aren’t meant to be major parts of their metagame, just funny easter eggs. Giving geno access to hero level rng stat buffs from a taunt doesn’t sound appealing to me. Also I just really hate rng gimmicks like this. It’s why hero is my most hated character even though he’s considered mediocre at best.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
So I have a bit of a theory after Sabi leaked the upcoming Crash game. I think that by looking at upcoming game releases and reveals combined with the commonly discussed names and what happened with prior characters, we could get a better understanding of possible future characters

•Two months after Joker released, Persona 5 Royal and Scramble were announced.
•Two months after Hero released, DQ11S was announced
•Banjo is the exception here, but I think big fan requested retro reps can be disregarded here
•Samurai Showdown which was repped in Terry’s spirits, is getting a switch release two months (at least for Japan)

So I think that at this point we can tie most dlc characters to an upcoming announcements or releases.

Operating the assumption that the cacomallow is leak is real and not considering number 5 atm, I think I can predict with a bit of likelyhood a couple characters

•#6 will be Geno. Announced around January or February, when #5 comes out. He should release around March (which is also the month SMRPG came out). He wont end up tying to a release, except maybe a SNES online rerelease.
•#7 will be Doomguy, announced in March alongside the release of Doom Eternal. I dont think they delayed it for this reason, but they could have pushed it further back to line up with smash.

•#8 will be Crash, announced at E3. Since we dont know how far along his new game is, it could be revealed at the TGAs and released around E3, or just announced at E3

•As for #9, there’s not much to go with here, but I think we should keep an eye on capcom releases coming up to E3. They’ll probably be announced alongside Crash though.

I’m not gonna jump to any conclusions on who else could be in based on just upcoming releases, since we only have a couple “known names in the insider groups. This is just my guessing tbh, im not sure on any of this but I think it gives more weight to Crash and Doomguy

TLDR: Doomguy could be coming alongside doom eternal, Crash could be coming alongside the reveal or release of this new game

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Generally happy if we get Crash news Glad the series is continuing to do so well.

It deserves it!

Anyway character pass #5 right.

Yeah could be anybody really.

Last edited by a moderator:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, since Gordon Freeman is on the minds of people right now, didn't Fatmanonice make a statement about some world ending character? a character that might seem like a joke, but it is in a good way

Gordon Freeman is an iconic character i will say, well at least the game he comes from. the thing is that Valve really hasn't had any relations with Nintnedo, so i see why people in the inside might just see it as a joke. in any case, any thoughts?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So I think that at this point we can tie most dlc characters to an upcoming announcements or releases.
I'm still waiting on that Ace Attorney switch game they announced that they said wasn't the trilogy remake...

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I just kind of want #5 to happen already, it feels so close yet so far, I really hope Geno is 6 so we don’t have to wait too long
It feels weird because this is the first time we don't know what specific fighter to look forward to since E3. Thankfully if the notion that we'll get a reveal at the TGA is right, then we ain't too far

Zac's Realm

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7852-2717-2984
With TGA's being pretty close right now, and us genuinely having no clue who the fifth fighter is, it's actually fairly exciting. Reminds me a lot of ye olden Brawl days when I wasn't privy to the speculation/leak scene and just had no clue who could show up next.

But, at the same time, I'm echoing the sentiment i'm seeing right now in wishing that someone would just. Rip the proverbial Band-Aid off and spill the beans about Fighter 5. I mean, dang, we're at a pretty big list of 'not Fighter 5' right now. Crash, Scorpion, Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, Geno...

Crazy to think how Geno's gone from 'practically a lock', to 'not likely', to 'dead in the water', to 'WE HAVE HOPE AGAIN BOYS', I'll be here all the way until he's revealed or deconfirmed. I have a really good feeling our wishes are up there in Star Hill waiting, if you can excuse me being cheesy.

At any rate, so this post isn't completely pointless, what do you think the chances of Beware the Forest's Mushrooms / Vs. Armed Boss getting a remix are should Geno get in? On one hand, I really think that it'd be super obvious to remix at least Forest Maze, but on the other, Square is notoriously stingy with music, and we don't have any Square remixes in, so... who knows. Imagine if they could get Yoko Shimomura back on after the Banjo remix to arrange Forest Maze, it'd be practically poetic.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
That's a bit of a shame to hear from one of the regulars in this thread, but I understand. Feel free to come back here as you please
One of the reasons I signed up here was to avoid feeling like an outsider - you know, considering the way Geno is treated in 80% of places other than this thread? But if it's still going to feel that way, then as an adult, the obvious answer is to just.. not be here.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
With TGA's being pretty close right now, and us genuinely having no clue who the fifth fighter is, it's actually fairly exciting. Reminds me a lot of ye olden Brawl days when I wasn't privy to the speculation/leak scene and just had no clue who could show up next.

But, at the same time, I'm echoing the sentiment i'm seeing right now in wishing that someone would just. Rip the proverbial Band-Aid off and spill the beans about Fighter 5. I mean, dang, we're at a pretty big list of 'not Fighter 5' right now. Crash, Scorpion, Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, Geno...

Crazy to think how Geno's gone from 'practically a lock', to 'not likely', to 'dead in the water', to 'WE HAVE HOPE AGAIN BOYS', I'll be here all the way until he's revealed or deconfirmed. I have a really good feeling our wishes are up there in Star Hill waiting, if you can excuse me being cheesy.

At any rate, so this post isn't completely pointless, what do you think the chances of Beware the Forest's Mushrooms / Vs. Armed Boss getting a remix are should Geno get in? On one hand, I really think that it'd be super obvious to remix at least Forest Maze, but on the other, Square is notoriously stingy with music, and we don't have any Square remixes in, so... who knows. Imagine if they could get Yoko Shimomura back on after the Banjo remix to arrange Forest Maze, it'd be practically poetic.
If Geno has only two songs then i feel that the other one aside from Beware of the Forest Mushrooms could be Fight Against Monsters so that would be nice

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
So I have a bit of a theory after Sabi leaked the upcoming Crash game. I think that by looking at upcoming game releases and reveals combined with the commonly discussed names and what happened with prior characters, we could get a better understanding of possible future characters

Two months after Joker released, Persona 5 Royal and Scramble were announced.
Two months after Hero released, DQ11S was announced
•Banjo is the exception here, but I think big fan requested retro reps can be disregarded here
•Samurai Showdown which was repped in Terry’s spirits, is getting a switch release two months (at least for Japan)

Operating the assumption that the cacomallow is leak is real and not considering number 5 atm, I think I can predict with a bit of likelyhood a couple characters

•#6 will be Geno. Announced around January or February, when #5 comes out. He should release around March (which is also the month SMRPG came out). He wont end up tying to a release, except maybe a SNES online rerelease.
•#7 will be Doomguy, announced in March alongside the release of Doom Eternal. I dont think they delayed it for this reason, but they could have pushed it further back to line up with smash.

•#8 will be Crash, announced at E3. Since we dont know how far along his new game is, it could be revealed at the TGAs and released around E3, or just announced at E3

•As for #9, there’s not much to go with here, but I think we should keep an eye on capcom releases coming up to E3. They’ll probably be announced alongside Crash though.

I’m not gonna jump to any conclusions on who else could be in based on just upcoming releases, since we only have a couple “known names in the insider groups. This is just my guessing tbh, im not sure on any of this but I think it gives more weight to Crash and Doomguy

TLDR: Doomguy could be coming alongside doom eternal, Crash could be coming alongside the reveal or release of this new game
You need to check your math again.
Joker came to Smash Bros on April 17. The Persona 5 Royal title was revealed in March. Scrambled was fully reveal in two weeks after Joker reveaedl in the month of April.
Dragon Quest XI S was announced and showed for a good long while before Hero was revealed in Smash Bros, DQXI S had a big promotion in the February 2019 Direct. DQXI S was released two months after Hero, not announced two months after.
Tying Terry to Samurai Showdown is pushing it considering that Samurai Showdown was an already existing series since 1993

The only character that has legitimately ties to releases is Hero, mostly because they wanted to use Smash Bros to promote the Dragon Quest series (which you can see the influence with that recent Dragon Quest arcade game that reference almost every scene from Hero's reveal trailer).
Doubt that Fighter 5 is going to be tied to an announcement, and if we do get a tie-in announcement it's going to be for a Japanese series and not a western series like Doom & Crash because Sakurai states that he wants to promote Japanese game to the rest of the world (hence why it took 20 years just to get one western series added into Smash Bros).

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Honestly, I'll be happy with anyone for fighter #5 except Dante, Lloyd or a SE rep that isn't Geno. Everyone else is pretty fair game for me.

Zac's Realm

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7852-2717-2984
If Geno has only two songs then i feel that the other one aside from Beware of the Forest Mushrooms could be Fight Against Monsters so that would be nice
I definitely wouldn't complain about him having Fight Against Monsters too, I just think that if he was only going to get two, it'd be Forest Maze and Armed Boss. Hopefully Square lightens up with their stinginess should Geno get in, because I would LOVE to hear a new remix of something like My Name's Booster or Fight Against Culex.

Plank08

Smash Lord
One of the reasons I signed up here was to avoid feeling like an outsider - you know, considering the way Geno is treated in 80% of places other than this thread? But if it's still going to feel that way, then as an adult, the obvious answer is to just.. not be here.
I’m kind of curious, if you don’t mind me asking, how do you feel like an outsider?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm at a total loss as to who fighter 5 could be and I think whoever it is will probably be an out there pick like Joker and Terry. So the best we could do is spitball some ideas I guess.

Gordon Freeman definitely fits the description of an odd ball character like I was talking about and if there's a new Half Life on the horizon I could see them wanting to promote that. The biggest issue I see is that Nintendo and Valve don't really have much of a relationship AFAIK.

And I mean, come on guys, we all know Heavy would be the Valve rep instead...
Absolutely not. Keep the actual meme character far away from Smash and put actual Mr. Valve into it if you have to choose. I think I despise the Heavy as a character option choice as much as I would a Fortnite rep. That's how little I want him anywhere near Smash, particularly when Gordon and Chell are infinitely better choices.

That’s what Sabi’s saying, but they’re not 100% certain
That might as well be Sabi's motto at this point: "Maybe."

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Absolutely not. Keep the actual meme character far away from Smash and put actual Mr. Valve into it if you have to choose. I think I despise the Heavy as a character option choice as much as I would a Fortnite rep. That's how little I want him anywhere near Smash, particularly when Gordon and Chell are infinitely better choices.
I think you downplay just how much story, lore and personality heavy weapons guy has. I say without a hint of irony that I would fully welcome any of the TF2 cast into smash, not only because it's a game I love, but also because it's a game valve has put a great deal of effort into building the world of, even if they neglect it a bit nowadays. Gordon Freeman is certainly Valve's posterboy, but HWG isn't exactly a throwaway himself.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think you downplay just how much story, lore and personality heavy weapons guy has. I say without a hint of irony that I would fully welcome any of the TF2 cast into smash, not only because it's a game I love, but also because it's a game valve has put a great deal of effort into building the world of, even if they neglect it a bit nowadays. Gordon Freeman is certainly Valve's posterboy, but HWG isn't exactly a throwaway himself.
He's a throwaway compared to Gordon Freeman and Chell. I like TF2's gameplay to an extent, but Heavy is literally the most ****ing annoying character that has been associated with years of meme and junk internet culture. His personality is exactly why I don't want him in Smash. I also really hate the idea of deciding to choose any single member from TF2 when they're just classes like that. Dunno, just have very little love for TF2's world, characters, or entire modus operandi.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
You need to check your math again.
Joker came to Smash Bros on April 17. The Persona 5 Royal title was revealed in March. Scrambled was fully reveal in two weeks after Joker reveaedl in the month of April.
Dragon Quest XI S was announced and showed for a good long while before Hero was revealed in Smash Bros, DQXI S had a big promotion in the February 2019 Direct. DQXI S was released two months after Hero, not announced two months after.
Tying Terry to Samurai Showdown is pushing it considering that Samurai Showdown was an already existing series since 1993

The only character that has legitimately ties to releases is Hero, mostly because they wanted to use Smash Bros to promote the Dragon Quest series (which you can see the influence with that recent Dragon Quest arcade game that reference almost every scene from Hero's reveal trailer).
Doubt that Fighter 5 is going to be tied to an announcement, and if we do get a tie-in announcement it's going to be for a Japanese series and not a western series like Doom & Crash because Sakurai states that he wants to promote Japanese game to the rest of the world (hence why it took 20 years just to get one western series added into Smash Bros).
Jesus christ man I made a couple wording mistakes sorry. Its not like im passing this off as gospel. And with my mistake on Persona the closer time spans actually make it look better.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
He's a throwaway compared to Gordon Freeman and Chell. I like TF2's gameplay to an extent, but Heavy is literally the most ****ing annoying character that has been associated with years of meme and junk internet culture. His personality is exactly why I don't want him in Smash. I also really hate the idea of deciding to choose any single member from TF2 when they're just classes like that. Dunno, just have very little love for TF2's world, characters, or entire modus operandi.
It kinda feels like you are mixing up the actual character of the Heavy with the memes that surround him. They are not one in the same.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I just wanna point out that adding the Heavy to Smash would, by the transitive property, connect Smash to Homestar Runner, and I think that’d be pretty cool

D

Deleted member

Wait, we're getting a new Crash game?
Yeah Sabi's been tweeting about it. It's just a maybe but, still pretty interesting to think about.

Anyway yeah I can't wait to find out who character pass #5 is it'll ether be exciting or not. Looking forward to it.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Heavy is far from a throw away. He’s easily the game’s most popular character. You’d have label the whole cast as throwaways if Heavy is. There’s also a LOT more annoying internet characters that you could go with. As much as I like him Sans has become the definition of “annoying meme” but still made it in smash as a mii costume.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Generally happy if we get Crash news Glad the series is continuing to do so well.

It deserves it!

Anyway character pass #5 right.

Yeah could be anybody really.
I only have like a minute to comment on here since I am at work. But I think FP5 will be a Namco rep, specifically Lloyd Irving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom