• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So Mario Kart Tour just added Pink Gold Peach.

THIS is why when Sakurai said at the start of the Fighter Pass that Nintendo picked the characters that people flipped the hell out. Whatever team decides on the Mario Kart roster......NEVER allow them near Smash! EVER!
i can Agree.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I feel like a lot of people don't know that pink gold is an actual thing, and think of her as being uninspired or something as a result.

D

Deleted member

I feel like a lot of people don't know that pink gold is an actual thing, and think of her as being uninspired or something as a result.
Lack of general knowledge of metals aside, Metal Mario was a fine joke character addition when he first showed up in Mario Kart 7, and that's because he's based on a power up that 1. actually exists, and 2. does physically change Mario. Metal Mario is uninspired roster padding, but Pink Gold Peach goes above and beyond.

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
This is a fake edit of a post on their public Discord. They never said this.

It’s a shame, too. Arthur would be absolutely mental.
He was awful in his own game (thanks to the player tho honestly) and always lost his clothes, I think he'd be a pretty obscure pick for sure.

I personally think Pink Gold Peach has value as an ambiguously aligned counterpart of unknown origin to Peach, in the way Metal Mario is to Mario.
Lack of general knowledge of metals aside, Metal Mario was a fine joke character addition when he first showed up in Mario Kart 7, and that's because he's based on a power up that 1. actually exists, and 2. does physically change Mario. Metal Mario is uninspired roster padding, but Pink Gold Peach goes above and beyond.
Fellas... Metal Mario is from Super Mario 64. And he also appeared in Super Smash Bros for N64.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Given his appearance in Smash as a regular boss up until Brawl - and he actually comes back as Bowser's boss in Ultimate - it seems that almost immediately after 64 Metal Mario was being treated as an entirely separate entity from Mario, regardless of being based on the Metal Cap power-up. I'd hardly call him a 'joke' character just because he's near-identical to Mario in appearance. He doesn't play like him, and doesn't act very much like him, either. He's much cockier.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
So Mario Kart Tour just added Pink Gold Peach.

THIS is why when Sakurai said at the start of the Fighter Pass that Nintendo picked the characters that people flipped the hell out. Whatever team decides on the Mario Kart roster......NEVER allow them near Smash! EVER!
Agreed heavily. The general state of Mario Kart at the moment is just depressing as hell. We’re stuck with a port and a ****ty mobile game as Mario Kart fans with no sign of Mario Kart 9 in sight while the Smash Bros. fanbase gets treated to a five course meal (a new game and plenty of DLC)

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
The uninspired part comes from just being a retexture of peach and not a different character with actual substance.

D

Deleted member

Given his appearance in Smash as a regular boss up until Brawl - and he actually comes back as Bowser's boss in Ultimate - it seems that almost immediately after 64 Metal Mario was being treated as an entirely separate entity from Mario, regardless of being based on the Metal Cap power-up. I'd hardly call him a 'joke' character just because he's near-identical to Mario in appearance. He doesn't play like him, and doesn't act very much like him, either. He's much cockier.
It's kind of weird to factor in how Smash treats Metal Mario as a comparison to Mario Kart. In Smash 64, Metal Mario offered a unique challenge in being Mario's size and having Mario's moves, but being nearly unflinchable and extremely heavy. But also, being based on a power-up, it offered an answer to the scenario "what if [character] had to fight Mario in the Metal Cap?". It's like fighting Batman vs Batman with prep time. Saying that Metal Mario is somehow a "different entity" may as well be arguing that all of Mario's alternate colors are their own people with unique personalities, and I guess now that Double Cherries exist we might not be too far from the truth.

My point is that Mario Kart is primarily a Mario racing game, despite recent additions, and in that context, putting a Mario power up in as a playable character is joke character territory, regardless if you think he's a different entity that developed its own personality. I would feel the same about fire flower Mario, or Spring Mario.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
It's 24 at the moment. ..Now, how many more characters do you think Ultimate will get before the end? Quite curious.
If DLC sales continue to be as good as the first wave, then I think we could be on this train for a while. So it's hard to make a prediction. But I'd say at minimum, we'll probably get 10 characters beyond the pass. If sales are still strong by then, we'll easily get more

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
It's kind of weird to factor in how Smash treats Metal Mario as a comparison to Mario Kart. In Smash 64, Metal Mario offered a unique challenge in being Mario's size and having Mario's moves, but being nearly unflinchable and extremely heavy. But also, being based on a power-up, it offered an answer to the scenario "what if [character] had to fight Mario in the Metal Cap?". It's like fighting Batman vs Batman with prep time. Saying that Metal Mario is somehow a "different entity" may as well be arguing that all of Mario's alternate colors are their own people with unique personalities, and I guess now that Double Cherries exist we might not be too far from the truth.

My point is that Mario Kart is primarily a Mario racing game, despite recent additions, and in that context, putting a Mario power up in as a playable character is joke character territory, regardless if you think he's a different entity that developed its own personality. I would feel the same about fire flower Mario, or Spring Mario.
i can easily think that way with the different iterations for mario and peach. but right now i want to draw a picture where they are being criticized.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
If DLC sales continue to be as good as the first wave, then I think we could be on this train for a while. So it's hard to make a prediction. But I'd say at minimum, we'll probably get 10 characters beyond the pass. If sales are still strong by then, we'll easily get more
A season 2 of five packages from series already in Smash. 1st and 3rd party, no stages but each character comes with 2 echoes (not necessarily related to their own series) and every character gets 2 songs.

So Geno's package will have him, Beware Forest Mushroom/Armed Foe with echoes of Boshi and Protoman.

Also Mallow as a surprise bonus character bundled with him.

Griselda

Smash Lord
A season 2 of five packages from series already in Smash. 1st and 3rd party, no stages but each character comes with 2 echoes (not necessarily related to their own series) and every character gets 2 songs.

So Geno's package will have him, Beware Forest Mushroom/Armed Foe with echoes of Boshi and Protoman.

Boshi and Mallow would be nice.. but at the cost of a SMRPG stage and only a handful of music? ...That's like you win a trophy, but it sets you on fire whenever you try to admire it.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

Am I the only one whose big chillin on echoes? I appreciate their addition to the base roster, as it snuck in some great characters like Dark Samus and Richter, but all in all they do so little for the roster aside from lend some aesthetic options. It's hard for me to be enthused at the idea of getting more when we've gotten four fully fleshed out fighters. I wouldn't sacrifice a stage for echoes.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Metal Mario seems to be treated as a strange clone of Mario that also serves as a rival. He has different lines from Mario, like “Mia mama!” and “Papa!”

He also acts a lot more confident in his ability to win, having a bigger ego. Other Mario reskins usually keep the same personality as the original Mario, even Cat Mario has basically the same personality just he sounds like a cat man.

I like Metal Mario for this reason, as he’s treated as a separate character instead of just Metal Cap Mario. Pink Gold Peach was unnecessary, though (is she even treated like Metal Mario aside from the voice filter?), but I don’t really dislike her, just I wish they’d include the RPG series’ characters and bring back some from previous Mario Kart games, like Petey Piranha and Birdo. Also, add Goomba.

Firox

Smash Master
Agreed heavily. The general state of Mario Kart at the moment is just depressing as hell. We’re stuck with a port and a ****ty mobile game as Mario Kart fans with no sign of Mario Kart 9 in sight while the Smash Bros. fanbase gets treated to a five course meal (a new game and plenty of DLC)
My only hope is that one day, should the gods of kart racing allow it, we'll finally get some decent balancing for Mario Kart. My biggest frustration with 8 (especially the deluxe version) is that 2nd place still gets absolute **** items while everything below it gets stuff like triple red shells, bullet bills, Fire Flowers, Lightning bolts, etc. This causes a lobster tank effect where 2nd place becomes the meat shield for 1st place without ever being given the tools to overthrow 1st. Even if 2nd is lucky enough to get a single red shell, first can have TWO bananas or whatever to cover their butt, sometimes even getting the boom box to cancel out the only definitive counter in the game (blue shell). Basically, whoever can secure first place in the first lap or so is locked in with little chance being de-throned. This is made only more frustrating with the massive luck factor the game employs, thus ensuring that I'm blessed with nothing but single bananas and single coins whenever I'm in second....

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Metal Mario seems to be treated as a strange clone of Mario that also serves as a rival. He has different lines from Mario, like “Mia mama!” and “Papa!”

He also acts a lot more confident in his ability to win, having a bigger ego. Other Mario reskins usually keep the same personality as the original Mario, even Cat Mario has basically the same personality just he sounds like a cat man.

I like Metal Mario for this reason, as he’s treated as a separate character instead of just Metal Cap Mario. Pink Gold Peach was unnecessary, though (is she even treated like Metal Mario aside from the voice filter?), but I don’t really dislike her, just I wish they’d include the RPG series’ characters and bring back some from previous Mario Kart games, like Petey Piranha and Birdo. Also, add Goomba.
Disregarding personality, the addition of more metals beyond Mario just seems kind of lazy from a design standpoint, especially when they have an entire lexicon of crowd pleasers to draw from. But instead, we just get baby and metal versions of everything, and once that runs out, we'll get metal babies.

Inb4 we reach the metal baby cat stage and they have to incorporate another permutation of the already existing cast

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

Yeah I totally agree with you. All the different reskins in Mario kart games do bother me but they wouldn't bother me as much if we had more characters that people like (such as many RPG characters, Petey, and Birdo. I hate how little attention Birdo has been getting lately) or at the very least actual characters that we've seen before and aren't just reskins even if they're super minor or generic. But yeah just metal Mario doesn't bother me, but the others are already well beyond ridiculous.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Yeah I totally agree with you. All the different reskins in Mario kart games do bother me but they wouldn't bother me as much if we had more characters that people like (such as many RPG characters, Petey, and Birdo. I hate how little attention Birdo has been getting lately) or at the very least actual characters that we've seen before and aren't just reskins even if they're super minor or generic. But yeah just metal Mario doesn't bother me, but the others are already well beyond ridiculous.
What are you talking about? Aren't you ready for Limestone Luigi? :ultpacman:

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
Disregarding personality, the addition of more metals beyond Mario just seems kind of lazy from a design standpoint, especially when they have an entire lexicon of crowd pleasers to draw from. But instead, we just get baby and metal versions of everything, and once that runs out, we'll get metal babies.

Inb4 we reach the metal baby cat stage and they have to incorporate another permutation of the already existing cast
It will all have been worth it once we get Pink Gold Baby Dr. Metal Dry Geno.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Man, all those lazy and needless character variations and we still don't have Diddy. They've really done the poor guy dirty. By Mario Kart Wii I'd figure he'd be a staple for the series, but he got ditched in
3 opportunities (MK8 base roster, MK8 DLC, MK8DX base roster) in the latest game alone. I could make a lengthy list out of the characters who are missing in Mario Kart, but the Diddy Kong shaped gap in the roster sticks out like a sore thumb the most in my opinion.

At least he's in Mario Kart Tour?...

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
Did anyone else finished watching green eggs and ham?
I really enjoyed the show

link2702

Smash Champion
So since it’s slow again as far as news, I’m gonna bring up the discussion for what his reveal trailer should/could be like again.

I still can’t decide on whether i think it’d be better to have a throwback to smash64’s opening, or one dealing with Rosalina mentioning how genos worked hard making so many wishes come true as it pans through all the newcomers, before Rosalina mentions how there’s one more that has yet to be granted....

On the smash 64 one I’m still of the view that it should start as the original, but slightly different in that when master hand drops the characters on the field, it could be 4 instead of 2, and those 4 would be; Mario, peach, bowser, and....a red Ridley or Charizard. As master hand does the countdown, each time switch’s to models and textures for the characters. Starting with melee, then brawl, then 4, (yes I know this means certain characters would have to have models made from scratch) , before the “snap” which sounds like the switch snap instead, and all characters are brought to life in smash ultimate ‘s artstyle.

After the view changes back to the toybox as a pillar of light shoots into it, the screen fades away and it’s shows a battle against Ridley with Mario peach and bowser on a team as ridley is in his norfair stage. And they’re getting beat pretty badly, before you hear a shout of “GENO BEAM” and see Ridley get knocked into the lava. The screen pans over to geno’s splash screen and you see the mario gang cheering, when the music changes to the mini boss theme from smrpg, and you see a grey metal Ridley jump from the lava and geno’s gameplay trailer continues.

:) I’m sure some clever folks will know by now why i used a red Ridley....

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
They really need to start putting geno in Mario kart
They really need to fix their spin-off rosters. Stop with the babies, the metals, the mooks and the baby metal mooks. Actually USE your character universe. Give the spotlight to lessen known characters. Maybe that will help elevate them to big name characters. Give time to those games that are on hiatus so we don't have to keep hearing that 'irrelevant' crap. And be consistent. Why have Diddy in one game but not the other?

What, some characters can't be used as it wouldn't make sense for them in the spin-off context? Yea, well, having Fox be in a fighting game since he strictly uses vehicles in his game is impossible I guess.

Fire Emblem made a games with all their many different characters. You don't see FE with Marth, Metal Marth, Baby Marth, Cat Marth, Doctor Marth or Marth in a Sombrero Marth on the roster outside of Smash Bros, do you, Nintendo? So please fix your kart/sports rosters. More Geno, Less Pink Diamond Bombomb.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Yeah, MK8 has such a strange roster. The Koopalings are sick and all, but losing series staples like Diddy makes no sense. Like bruh, Diddy Kong Racing dawg. Also who asked for Baby Rosalina? Who? Who did it?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Fire Emblem made a games with all their many different characters. You don't see FE with Marth, Metal Marth, Baby Marth, Cat Marth, Doctor Marth or Marth in a Sombrero Marth on the roster outside of Smash Bros, do you, Nintendo? So please fix your kart/sports rosters. More Geno, Less Pink Diamond Bombomb.
I'm sorry to have to break it to you, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom