• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dark Souls would definitely be different from the other people in the pass, people love to point that we had 2 JRPG characters but it’s possible but Hero and Joker could literally not be more different, also Dark Souls would be mindblowing, but not necessarily extremely hype
I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about what evidence is there that shows a Dark Souls rep is coming. There is no evidence for a Dark Souls rep but speculation at the moment.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This. The Smash community always downplay and complain about characters and once that characters is in Smash, they will shut up about it and move on to the next.

“Ridley is just a meme, stop asking about him!”

“King K. Rool is irreverent, Dixie should be in!”

“Incineroar has a horrible design, why not Decidueye or Lycanroc?”

“Banjo is from a dead franchise and Nintendo would easily go for Minecraft! LOL”

“Erdrick is just another anime swordsman”

“Terry is literally Ken with a hat!”

Once Geno comes, the haters will quietly lick his boots despite being “irrelevant one off side character” because they may find him fun to play as.
To be fair, King K. Rool is irreverent. He stole all them bananas like it was nothin.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Kind of wish we heard more from one person about how good his chances are. You seem extremely confident, but you're the only one I've noticed that feels that way. Nobody else has come out and vouched which is why i still have my heavy doubts at this time.
A lot of it has to do with reputation and perceptions. There's not a whole lot of value in someone like me taking a stance like this. For someone like Sabi, doing this sort of thing is literally their job so the stakes are significantly higher. This is why Sabi very rarely pulls the trigger unless they're like 99% sure on things and why so many statements from them and people like them come off as wishy-washy. Their statements have literal value because not only do people follow them for what they know but share information with them based on their reputation. What happens when people are wrong "too much?" People stop listening to them. For someone like me, that's not really a tangible consequence but for someone like Sabi it literally impedes their career. This is why, if I was an actual leaker, my 75% chance stance would be incredibly risky, if not reckless. Every time leakers/insiders make a bold statement on things, they're more or less betting their careers on it. As I've said many times before, I speculate for fun and the mental exercise and I'm not too terribly concerned if I'm wrong because there's virtually no stakes for someone like me being wrong.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I know! He could of starved the Kongs to death!
Isn't that like. Literally the lore? K Rool stole them specifically to starve the Kongs? They changed it later but I'm pretty sure K Rool originally hated bananas and stole them to starve DK and steal his island.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
A bit late to things but the new Sonic movie design looks amazing. Him and Green Hill have never looked so good.
If I'm being REALLY nitpicky, there's a few shots where Sonic's eyes just seem a little too big, sometimes. Makes it look a bit off to me. I guess I'm just used to how the poster and the first shot of Sonic did it how his eyes seem.. slanted? Curved? Not really sure how to describe it.
Regardless, everything else about the design is spot on, the proportions and just general look of the character look SO much better than that abomination we got earlier this year, lol. I love how this trailer's more fan-servicey than the other one, with the classic emblem on Sonic's bandana and the Hill Top zone sign Sonic uses as his ping-pong table. That was great, lmao.

Remember when morons were calling Banjo a "cereal mascot" and a "meme" pick. So just because they're a popular request, that means they're a "meme" now? Christ. If anything, Sans was the meme pick.

People will definitely switch sides if Geno does get revealed like they did with K Rool and Banjo. It's the same types who frequent Gamefaqs and /v/, they just want to get a reaction out of people. They latched on to Plant and Incineroar too, if you didn't notice. God, Plant Gang was so cringeworthy, it was specifically made just to laugh at fandoms whose character didn't get in.

I also love how they were so adamant on Minecraft as well, saying how it's so popular and it's "pretty much a lock".
Well, I'm still waiting. Where's that so-called "Minecraft content"? It's been nearly a year since Ultimate released.
And this is coming from someone who likes Minecraft. Tetris has yet to get anything other than a couple of songs, too. Tetris!
They possibly even rewrote and redo live action scenes during the Sonic redesign process. If you look at the freak out scene, Sonic is holding a ring that isn’t even in the original trailer.

Griselda

Smash Lord
A bit late to things but the new Sonic movie design looks amazing. Him and Green Hill have never looked so good.
If I'm being REALLY nitpicky, there's a few shots where Sonic's eyes just seem a little too big, sometimes.
This is exactly how I feel about his eyes - like they felt the previous one was too 'realistic', and went a bit too far in the other direction and made him too cartoony. Honestly, he looks a lot like he came from the live-action Garfield movie. Otherwise, my only complaint is that he doesn't quite look like he's in several scenes, more like he's just layered on top of it. But the first trailer had this problem too, whatever that implies.

D

Deleted member

Accidental double post, delete

Last edited by a moderator:

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
So what route do you all think they are going to take for Geno's reveal trailer?

Do you think they are going to do this awesome battle sequence where Geno drops from the sky to save his best friends from an onslaught of evil spirit clones.

or

Geno gets off a bus and says "Sorry I'm late! I overslept 23 years. Is my invitation still good?"
One of the gamexplain guys came up with this but how about a remake of the beginning of the smash 64 opening with toy Geno being picked up from a toy box.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I feel that Sonic was never really meant to be cartoony to that extent, but maybe it is just the eyes - they look better when he's sort of frowning. On the setting.. Sonic's world actually is Earth or a slightly altered Earth in the games , with him even being born on Christmas Island. Sonic being from another world and him and humans not normally living together is mainly a story element taken from the various spinoffs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - him and his people being totally normal like the games would render the movie's whole plot pointless, after all.

On a related topic - do you think a live-action Geno would be adorably cool, or the stuff of nightmares? I feel there could be no in-between.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I may get destroyed for this but... I like Sword/Shield.
Don't get me wrong, it looks awful in terms of what it should be, but I'm loving the Pokemon. People have been complaining about them but some of the regional variants and stuff are really good references and I love them to death.
I unfortunately have to relinquish Duns (my Dunsparce) for this game which I may have on launch so...I'm in the minority?
I’m still excited for it too! I mean it’s got Pokemon MechaGodzilla in it. I think the game does look ambitious in it’s own ways, it just sucks that it can’t get more dev time

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I feel that Sonic was never really meant to be cartoony to that extent, but maybe it is just the eyes - they look better when he's sort of frowning. On the setting.. Sonic's world actually is Earth or a slightly altered Earth in the games , with him even being born on Christmas Island. Sonic being from another world and him and humans not normally living together is mainly a story element taken from the various spinoffs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - him and his people being totally normal like the games would render the movie's whole plot pointless, after all.

On a related topic - do you think a live-action Geno would be adorably cool, or the stuff of nightmares? I feel there could be no in-between.
Sonic isn’t even normal in his world.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Sonic isn’t even normal in his world.
Just for clarification, are you saying that Sonic as an individual is strange because of his speed, or are you trying to say that talking hedgehogs are weird in the games' setting?

D

Deleted member

One of the gamexplain guys came up with this but how about a remake of the beginning of the smash 64 opening with toy Geno being picked up from a toy box.
Yep, either that or a trailer that directly continues the ending of SMRPG is ideal.

I have my own trailer idea, though:

This'll be playing. I'd imagine it to be a Galaxy 3 fake-out. Mario running through the streets of Toad Town, meeting Peach at her castle. Bowser's there, too. A good nod to Odyssey's ending. On the balcony, Mario and Peach make wishes as they watch shooting stars fall, but Mario isn't sure about his wish. It's revealed that in his pocket he has an old picture of the SMRPG group -Mario, Peach and Bowser, but Mallow and Geno too.
They wonder where they are now. Mario sighs, thinking they'll never return.

At this point they spot a star, brighter than the others. It crashes down, making the kingdom fall silent. They look at Bowser, thinking it was his doing. He shrugs.

They go to investigate. Boom, Geno.

<Gameplay trailer>

At the end of the trailer, this song plays:

The group gathers around Geno, a direct reference to the end of SMRPG. Geno walks towards Mario, stopping just a few feet away. He holds out his hand, signifying Mario to shake it.

Instead, Mario pulls him closer, giving him a warm hug. He's happy to see his old friend back.

A "Welcome Home!" banner can be seen in the background.

(I just want my Mario/Geno hug scene, okay!?)

Plank08

Smash Lord
I'd be happy to see damn near anyone, like legitimately. But FNAF is a hard no from me, like nah. I'm sorry if you're a fan of the games but they have no place being in Smash.

The working story of dead children possessing animatronics is enough to shut that series out from Smash.
Yeah I get that, but let’s not forget that Ridley murdered children and Samus’s parents
The fact that Freddy is a child in a robot suit doesn’t need to be said at all, Sakurai can just say the series has a lot of intresting lore, then talk about other things

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Yep, either that or a trailer that directly continues the ending of SMRPG is ideal.

This'll be playing. I'd imagine it to be a Galaxy 3 fake-out. Mario running through the streets of Toad Town, meeting Peach at her castle. Bowser's there, too. A good nod to Odyssey's ending. On the balcony, Mario and Peach make wishes as they watch shooting stars fall, but Mario isn't sure about his wish. It's revealed that in his pocket he has an old picture of the SMRPG group -Mario, Peach and Bowser, but Mallow and Geno too.

At this point they spot a star, brighter than the others. It crashes down, making the kingdom fall silent. They look at Bowser, thinking it was his doing. He shrugs.

<Gameplay trailer>

The group gathers around Geno, a direct reference to the end of SMRPG. Geno walks towards Mario, stopping just a few feet away. He holds out his hand, signifying Mario to shake it.

Instead, Mario pulls him closer, giving him a warm hug. He's happy to see his old friend back.

I can totally see them going for this kind of feel, especially after how K Rool and Banjo’s trailers played up the “Look who’s back!” angle. And a certain recent game showed that Mario’s a hugger so I can see this happening.

D

Deleted member

I can totally see them going for this kind of feel, especially after how K Rool and Banjo’s trailers played up the “Look who’s back!” angle. And a certain recent game showed that Mario’s a hugger so I can see this happening.
The trailer could be called "An Old Friend" similar to Banjo's "Best Friends" or maybe something like "Stargazing"? That'd be neat.
I definitely think Geno's ideal trailer should be an emotional one. It should be to the SMRPG Gang what Banjo's reveal was to the Rare Squad.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Just for clarification, are you saying that Sonic as an individual is strange because of his speed, or are you trying to say that talking hedgehogs are weird in the games' setting?
Did you pay attention at all? Sonic came to earth because his world feared his powers.

Yeah, I noticed that! The tone between the two trailers are like night and day, it's insane. The first trailer is your average cheap Hollywood film trying to cash in a popular franchise (SMB 93, Street Fighter..) whereas this new trailer actually looks pretty good. It definitely gives off that feeling that Detective Pikachu did to me. It's going to be a fun movie, I think.

I think there's some plot differences too? The reason the power grid went off in the original trailer was because Sonic went too fast on an empty road. Here, it's because Sonic was playing baseball by himself, lol. They got rid of that "uhh.. meow" part too, from the looks of things.
Probably because that scene put a bad taste in people's mouths.

Seriously, I am so glad those leaks were real. THIS is Sonic to me. This is honestly my favourite design yet.

This might be a bit controversial but I prefer the blue arms, it just looks better to me for some reason. I prefer the arms/legs being the same colour, anyways.
The eyes being separate are a huge bonus too. I didn't actually notice the mono-eye until recently, and when you do notice it, you can't unsee it haha

He's definitely cartoony, I agree. But I still think it works well. He looks pleasing on the eyes, at least. Not like the first design or Alvin and the Chipmunks.
It's more in-line with what we saw with Detective Pikachu. I think if you didn't really like that design, I don't think you're going to like this Sonic.

The way I think of it is it's more like say, Roger Rabbit/Detective Pikachu instead of Cats. You're taking a character that has always been cartoony and putting them in a realistic environment. Green Hill looks great, but a film set in Sonic's world probably wouldn't sell as well as you think. Audiences relate to the real-world much more. Even in films like Avengers, we don't see places like Asgard all that much. The setting is still primarily Earth.

There are definitely some scenes that look a bit weird, and I think it's just the lighting or just unpolished CGI. It reminds me a lot of Godzilla KOTM, there were some scenes that looked a bit off but the final movie looked great. They still have a couple of months to iron out everything before release, anyways.
Another thing I notice is that the relationship between Sonic and the new human character is given more focus and care. It becomes more like you see in the early fast and the furious movies instead of a duo that’s solely together because the action scenes need to happen.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
The trailer could be called "An Old Friend" similar to Banjo's "Best Friends" or maybe something like "Stargazing"? That'd be neat.
I definitely think Geno's ideal trailer should be an emotional one. It should be to the SMRPG Gang what Banjo's reveal was to the Rare Squad.
Stargazing seems like a good name to me.
My only concern with playing up the reunion angle would be that Mallow would kinda seem left out. Maybe they’d make him show up on the hypothetical Super Mario RPG stage and create hazards or something.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Did you pay attention at all? Sonic came to earth because his world feared his powers.
..I was clearly talking about the games' canon, not the setting of the movie. I said "him and his people being totally normal like the games would render the movie's whole plot pointless, after all. "

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Re: Sword and Shield. I hope this ends up as an answer to Assasins Creed Unity, where they realize that they need to take a step back and allow Gamefreak more time, and perhaps maybe even hire more people for them. These f-ups that have been discovered with Sword and Shield are just unacceptable, especially for the largest media franchise in the game. Sun and Moon might be rushed but at least it was a functional game that has some charm to it. The series has truly gone downhill after the fifth generation

Re: Geno's trailer. I think Rosalina will be involved in some fashion concidering "I serve higher authority part"

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
A lot of it has to do with reputation and perceptions. There's not a whole lot of value in someone like me taking a stance like this. For someone like Sabi, doing this sort of thing is literally their job so the stakes are significantly higher. This is why Sabi very rarely pulls the trigger unless they're like 99% sure on things and why so many statements from them and people like them come off as wishy-washy. Their statements have literal value because not only do people follow them for what they know but share information with them based on their reputation. What happens when people are wrong "too much?" People stop listening to them. For someone like me, that's not really a tangible consequence but for someone like Sabi it literally impedes their career. This is why, if I was an actual leaker, my 75% chance stance would be incredibly risky, if not reckless. Every time leakers/insiders make a bold statement on things, they're more or less betting their careers on it. As I've said many times before, I speculate for fun and the mental exercise and I'm not too terribly concerned if I'm wrong because there's virtually no stakes for someone like me being wrong.
What exactly do you mean that leaking is Sabi’s career? I mean, leak reputation is one thing and you’ll just get disowned as a source of information/at worst into legal trouble for leaking classified information... but the way you describe it as a “career” implies a greater deal of importance and severity than just being a “leaker.” You make it sound like Sabi’s livelihood depends on leaking information. Care to clarify?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
@WaniiZ That signature is God tier levels of amazing.

<Gameplay trailer>

I think it would also make sense for Rosalina to be in Geno's reveal trailer as he is a star spirit that was sent from Star Road. Rosalina being the mommy/queen of the stars and Lumas, I could see her being the one to send Geno to Smash to save the day.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
My own Smash trailer for Geno has him being Rosalina's Luma. I think it would be pretty hype and a fun concept to have Geno secretly have been in Smash this entire time.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
My own Smash trailer for Geno has him being Rosalina's Luma. I think it would be pretty hype and a fun concept to have Geno secretly have been in Smash this entire time.
... Are Lumas star spirits?

Is the Comet Observatory connected to Star Road? Since Lumas become Power Stars do elder power stars become spirits? Is Geno a Power Star now? Or a Grand Star? Or a planet?!? How do Power Moons figure in, given that Cappy implied that Stars are just another form of Power Moon? Do they all come from Lumas? Does New Donk City have horrifying Luma farms hidden offscreen? Are Shine Sprites another Power Moon/Star form or are they completely unrelated? What about the Crystal Stars? Or the Dark Star? Or the Dark Moon? Or the Crystal Coconuts?

IS

MARIO’S

TIME

MACHINE

CANON?!?

We need answers, Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Stargazing seems like a good name to me.
My only concern with playing up the reunion angle would be that Mallow would kinda seem left out. Maybe they’d make him show up on the hypothetical Super Mario RPG stage and create hazards or something.

Mallow: "I suppose I'll get my chance.. another day.."
Sakurai: "No, you'll get it today."

*Mallow helps Geno use Geno Flash*

Joking aside, yeah, I don't really want to leave Mallow out. Maybe he could make an appearance at the end of the trailer. The focus should be on Geno, though.

Rosalina would be a really good fit. But I think if anyone should be in the trailer, it should be the SMRPG group (Mario/Peach/Bowser/Maybe Mallow too?) or at least Mario. I'm sure they'll love to see Geno back.

D

Deleted member

... Are Lumas star spirits?

Is the Comet Observatory connected to Star Road? Since Lumas become Power Stars do elder power stars become spirits? Is Geno a Power Star now? Or a Grand Star? Or a planet?!? How do Power Moons figure in, given that Cappy implied that Stars are just another form of Power Moon? Do they all come from Lumas? Does New Donk City have horrifying Luma farms hidden offscreen? Are Shine Sprites another Power Moon/Star form or are they completely unrelated? What about the Crystal Stars? Or the Dark Star? Or the Dark Moon? Or the Crystal Coconuts?

IS

MARIO’S

TIME

MACHINE

CANON?!?

We need answers, Nintendo.
Star Spirits/the Star Rod are actually a simplification of the wish granting mechanisms of Star Road to make the concepts easier to grasp by children (hence why Paper Mario is a story book). And of course Mario's Time Machine is canon, that's how Galaxy 2 happened.

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice

<Gameplay trailer>

And than we get an announcement for Mario Galaxy 3, just like the animal crossing one with Isabelle's reveal! That would be the best timeline for me

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

Mallow: "I suppose I'll get my chance.. another day.."
Sakurai: "No, you'll get it today."

*Mallow helps Geno use Geno Flash*

Joking aside, yeah, I don't really want to leave Mallow out. Maybe he could make an appearance at the end of the trailer. The focus should be on Geno, though.

Rosalina would be a really good fit. But I think if anyone should be in the trailer, it should be the SMRPG group (Mario/Peach/Bowser/Maybe Mallow too?) or at least Mario. I'm sure they'll love to see Geno back.
I'll be greedy and want Geno and Mallow to be playable characters.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Geno replaces Cappy
I'm not sure it's the kind of thing Nintendo would ever do for a mainline Mario game, but switching between Mario and Geno sounds like it'd be pretty fun, actually - with Mario taking the standard platforming and Geno acting like a third-person shooter, maybe?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Star Spirits/the Star Rod are actually a simplification of the wish granting mechanisms of Star Road to make the concepts easier to grasp by children (hence why Paper Mario is a story book). And of course Mario's Time Machine is canon, that's how Galaxy 2 happened.
Are the Paper Mario story books fiction within Mario’s universe or are they simply retellings of actual Mario adventures for all the good boys and girls? Because if you’re telling me the town with a noose dead center in it and the one about ALL OF REALITY BEING NEARLY CONSUMED BY A PANDIMENSIONAL BLACK HOLE are the simplified kiddie versions of the stories, then I can’t help but hope for games about what really happened.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Yeah I get that, but let’s not forget that Ridley murdered children and Samus’s parents
The fact that Freddy is a child in a robot suit doesn’t need to be said at all, Sakurai can just say the series has a lot of intresting lore, then talk about other things
Also the games are rated T (for some reason, even though the lore is really dark) honestly this isn't a problem when Ridley exists.

D

Deleted member

Are the Paper Mario story books fiction within Mario’s universe or are they simply retellings of actual Mario adventures for all the good boys and girls? Because if you’re telling me the town with a noose dead center in it and the one about ALL OF REALITY BEING NEARLY CONSUMED BY A PANDIMENSIONAL BLACK HOLE are the simplified kiddie versions of the stories, then I can’t help but hope for games about what really happened.
All based on true stories. The pandimensional black hole was symbolic of the Paper Mario series of books being canceled, but Mario staved it off. But at what cost...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom