• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I understand people and Fatmanonice reading the same questions, but honestly, Fatmanonice has said so much that is is pretty hard to remember all that he's said.

Also, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I have a question, nothing too specific you can't answer (isn't even really a Smash character question), but you shared a lot of juicy info today (especially about the number of characters, who won't be in, ESPECIALLY assets and/or past data being used for a character post-pass DLC, etc.)... why doesn't anyone else supposedly credible Sabi, Vergeben, PapaGenos, etc., say these things? Why is it just you saying these things despite some of these things being juicy info?
Because it's merely speculation based on what I know and, because I barely have any presence on social media, I can go buck wild without fear of being constantly harassed. Sabi was just talking about today about how people will literally pester them over what they like on Twitter. I mean... Damn. They've outright told me that they hate coming here because of how aggressive people can be and I don't blame them. I'm also not afraid of being wrong either. People like Sabi and PapaGenos have reputations to uphold across multiple platforms while I really don't as far as the Smash community goes. If I'm wrong, the only consequence is that fewer people listen to my theories and speculation, I don't worry about followers or even ad revenue because I largely do this to keep you all from being in the dark. It's sort of my way of taking an axe to an ivory tower, if you will.

Last edited:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
"Fanservice" and "not even considering Isaac" do seem somewhat mutually exclusive at this point. But all you can really do is see how it goes. Could be we'll get a Golden Sun revival at some point in the next couple of years, prompting them to go for it with him.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I'm always blown away by how fast this thread moves. I've got so many questions, but I'm almost positive they've been covered in the last ten pages. ill just keep quiet for now.

D

Deleted member

"Fanservice" and "not even considering Isaac" do seem somewhat mutually exclusive at this point. But all you can really do is see how it goes. Could be we'll get a Golden Sun revival at some point in the next couple of years, prompting them to go for it with him.
That's the hope the addition to Smash means he finally got in that's perfect the next step is getting a Golden Sun remake or revival hoping for both!

StarLight42

Smash Lord
As much as I really really want Isaac, I highly doubt he’s on the list based on what Fatmanonice said about NPC’s

Also, his Assist Trophy being upgraded with more moves makes me fear that this was his fate from the start.

Sakurai’s usually done great with a lot of fan requests, but he did Isaac so dirty man. I still get awful flashbacks of November 1st *shudder*

Griselda

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't ever happen - especially with how even SEGA seems to sweep it under the rug in favor of Online - but I'd like to see a classic Phantasy Star character get into Smash. I feel Alis Landale is pretty important to video game history, as a female protagonist coming right off the heels of Samus Aran, who only has pure and simple revenge as her motivation. I know people seem to despise sword-users, these days, but I think she could bring a pretty unique moveset to the table, especially if she dipped into the full original tetralogy's list of Magic and Techniques. Having a Koopalings type deal with Rolf/Chaz would be nice. Alys from IV could be pretty unique on her own, too - are there any boomerang users besides Link in Smash?

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
We've just gone past 1700 pages, good job Genobros! Too bad I was off while that happened though. I'll skim through the pages I missed, but is there any major developments I should be aware of since the Terry presentation?

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
It can really go either way. A lot of character fanbases seemed to adopt this approach (Project Starfall not the least of which) when the base roster was finally shown, if their character was more obscure they lobbied for them to receive a revival of some sort first, to hopefully bolster their chances for Smash second. Seems to me that seeing the demand for Isaac in Smash could be a key to reviving Golden Sun, and if that happens, he'd be considerably more likely to get into Smash. And conversely, if he got into Smash, a series revival would also be more likely. So it's good to push for both.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
If Some of the Characters Post Pass happens to re-use assets like the veterans of Smash 4 DLC did, especially the early ones due to Extra time they had when deciding on extra DLC, Couldn't Geno technically count, re-using the Mii Gunners assets and then going even beyond

D

Deleted member

Yeah Travis Touchdown hasn't been mentioned wonder if it could be him.

Also yeah Isaac's chances are up in the air still hoping for him. But if he's not in it wouldn't surprise me still I have hope we'll see.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Have to admit it feels weird they wouldn't want to work with the assists trophies but then make fighters for the ones they had deemed not even worthy enough for more than spirit status this time when the work had already been done and would have been a minimal effort. If we end out dlc without a single trophy promotion but multiple of ex-trophies, spirits, and absentees are given playable status then I don't even know what to think, that's just kinda cruel.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Just for fun, what are your guys' mains? I'm not super competitive with Smash, but I do play without items and I do play more characters than is typically seen.

I started playing Smash at a younger age in Brawl. I played these characters: :ultpikachu: and :ultmetaknight: (didn't know he was op).

In Smash 4, I remained playing as Pikachu and Meta Knight, but I also added: :ultsonic: and :ultolimar:

Then, when Ultimate came out, I added these lovely lads: :ultridley: and:ultpichu: and :ultjoker:

My best characters are probably Pikachu (+ Pichu) and Joker, with Olimar and Sonic close behind. I know that people typically only have one or two mains, but I just have gravitated to these guys over the years and don't want to give them up. I chose Pikachu in Brawl since I tried other characters and he felt the best to me as a youngin' (plus I, of course, knew him since I played Pokémon lol), and Meta Knight I just played because he looked awesome. I didn't really know Kirby at the time.

In Smash 4, I picked up Sonic because I've always liked the series (no matter how bad and cheesy it gets), and he felt better in Smash 4 than in Brawl. Olimar I picked up because I fell in love with the Pikmin franchise at the time thanks to Pikmin 3 (where is Pikmin 4...).

And lastly, Ultimate I picked Pichu because I had played Pikachu my whole Smash life, and I was probably gonna play Pichu regardless (though luckily he wasn't a joke like he was in Melee, so I actually play as him a bit as opposed to if he were a joke). Ridley I picked up because I fell in love with Metroid at the end of the Wii U's life (thanks Prime Trilogy) and I had always heard the cries for Ridley (even without me following speculation). I usually hate heavyweights that aren't quicker, but I somehow like Ridley a lot. Albeit I play him more casually, but still, I didn't expect to like him more than a casual distraction at times (like Incineroar for me). Now Joker is interesting, as I began to hear about Persona 5 right before his reveal. I was somewhat interested, but became fully into the idea of playing Persona when Joker stole his invite into Smash! *sigh* Man, I really want to play Persona 5, 4, and 3 (yes I'm a casual). So I guess while I wait to play Persona 5, Joker in Smash is my only alternative.

Don't really think anyone cares about any of this, but I just felt like typing in this out.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
When it comes to Isaac he'd be an even higher contender for a promotion if a new Golden Sun game or remake is planned which from various factors I do consider likely but not guaranteed to happen. Not capitalising on such a release by promoting the protagonist which has had high Smash demand for eons would be a huge missed opportunity that would benefit both fans and the developers. With all these circumstances it's mostly a waiting game to see how things pan out and Isaac's likelihood is up in the air until an announcement of such a game is made

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Yeah Travis Touchdown hasn't been mentioned wonder if it could be him.

Also yeah Isaac's chances are up in the air still hoping for him. But if he's not in it wouldn't surprise me still I have hope we'll see.
MY SCALEY BOY, I want Travis so much. He definitely seems like a choice that would throw uneducated people off guard, but it seems like a no brainer inclusion to me. Suda51 (his creator) wants him in, and him and Sakurai are good friends, and the No More Heroes games are associated with Nintendo so it makes total sense. Unfortunately, he is a bit more niche so he hasn't been the most requested. But he could be a Bayonetta situation! My fingers are crossed.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Just for fun, what are your guys' mains? I'm not super competitive with Smash, but I do play without items and I do play more characters than is typically seen.

I started playing Smash at a younger age in Brawl. I played these characters: :ultpikachu: and :ultmetaknight: (didn't know he was op).

In Smash 4, I remained playing as Pikachu and Meta Knight, but I also added: :ultsonic: and :ultolimar:

Then, when Ultimate came out, I added these lovely lads: :ultridley: and:ultpichu: and :ultjoker:

My best characters are probably Pikachu (+ Pichu) and Joker, with Olimar and Sonic close behind. I know that people typically only have one or two mains, but I just have gravitated to these guys over the years and don't want to give them up. I chose Pikachu in Brawl since I tried other characters and he felt the best to me as a youngin' (plus I, of course, knew him since I played Pokémon lol), and Meta Knight I just played because he looked awesome. I didn't really know Kirby at the time.

In Smash 4, I picked up Sonic because I've always liked the series (no matter how bad and cheesy it gets), and he felt better in Smash 4 than in Brawl. Olimar I picked up because I fell in love with the Pikmin franchise at the time thanks to Pikmin 3 (where is Pikmin 4...).

And lastly, Ultimate I picked Pichu because I had played Pikachu my whole Smash life, and I was probably gonna play Pichu regardless (though luckily he wasn't a joke like he was in Melee, so I actually play as him a bit as opposed to if he were a joke). Ridley I picked up because I fell in love with Metroid at the end of the Wii U's life (thanks Prime Trilogy) and I had always heard the cries for Ridley (even without me following speculation). I usually hate heavyweights that aren't quicker, but I somehow like Ridley a lot. Albeit I play him more casually, but still, I didn't expect to like him more than a casual distraction at times (like Incineroar for me). Now Joker is interesting, as I began to hear about Persona 5 right before his reveal. I was somewhat interested, but became fully into the idea of playing Persona when Joker stole his invite into Smash! *sigh* Man, I really want to play Persona 5, 4, and 3 (yes I'm a casual). So I guess while I wait to play Persona 5, Joker in Smash is my only alternative.

Don't really think anyone cares about any of this, but I just felt like typing in this out.
When I was super young and played Brawl, I played Marth, Ike and MK because swords were the coolest thing ever and their Subspace cutscenes were cool.

Before Smash 4 came out I really badly wanted Mega Man, which is great, because I got him, but bad, because I hate Smash 4 Mega Man. I then got my second and third most wanteds in Little Mac (who I mained on 3DS) and Mewtwo (who I had as a secondary on both). I picked up Bowser as my Wii U main and kept him as a secondary for Ultimate.

For Ultimate I really really really wanted Ridley, and from his reveal I knew I was a Ridley main. I still enjoy Bowser and I picked up K. Rool, but I'm happy with almost all of the roster.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
The idea of old asset reusal makes me slightly hopeful for Ray, Saki would be cool too. The possibility of absentees also makes me a little hopeful for grovile as well.
If we somehow got geno Isaac Ray grovile and solo all in the same game then that would be beyond amazing. That would only leave like chrono for every important character from my childhood. It's never going to happen and at this point I just want to compromise for Isaac and accept whatever else comes. But it's fun to dream

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
-A vast majority of the hypothetical list is decent sized fan picks, on par or bigger than Geno and Crash.

-Don't expect a lot of NPC promotions. This includes spirits and ATs. I will say that ATs and Mii costumes already in the game are a lot less likely and, if the jump happens, it'd be literally one and I have a hard time seeing Sakurai do that for the sake of fairness.

-Most have not appeared in Smash in any form.

-Most are third party but not all.
SACKGANG RISE UP!!!

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Everyone in here has chatacter they want, but honestly I'm pretty content with the roster (as I've said). At this point, I just want characters like Geno who have been requested for a while and are popular in the Smash fanbase.

However, I wouldn't mind another Sonic character, Bandana Dee, or Captain Toad for series I've played. Weirdly enough, I really really want Travis Touchdown and Doom Slayer despite me never playing their games (though I want to), and it has nothing to do with their fans wanting them (so I just want them personally as opposed to Geno).

I weirdly don't have many pie in the sky desires. I'm unsure why that is. But I guess I wouldn't mind Sora or Master Chief to see the internet implode. I guess I have one weird desire and that is the Prince of the Cosmos from Katamari. Though he'd probably work better as an Assist Trophy (but even so, he isn't even a character who I super want, I just think he'd be neat).

So yeah, I'm just pulling for you guys. Sure, I could pull for Bandana Dee or something, but I've accepted the roster as it is, and anything else is just extra toppings on an already delicious hot fudge sundae.

(((Also, um... I unironically want Steve from Minecraft. I don't want to start a flame war, but I think his moveset would be cool and Minecraft is massive so I think he's earned a spot. In MY OPINION.)))

P.S.: If we're gonna talk about Nintendo all-stars that deserve to be in Smash, obviously Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee deserve to be in, but Toad 100% deserves to be in. If the argument is that he is generic (even with Piranha Plant), just have Captain Toad. Yeah, I know, another Mario character, but Toad is unquestionably iconic and a Nintendo all-star.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like that name honestly should have thought of Scaley Boy as a name heh heh. Oh well like what I got for now but like that.

Anyway good too see some Golden Sun fans here you guys are always welcome and know there are some on here that besides Geno want Isaac in and hopefully for Golden Sun to return.

Also mains in Smash?

Good question honestly fun one to Awnser originally it was Luigi in Melee, then Mario and Link their still two of my mains and two who I'll always use got attached to them and their just two I gravitate towards. Mario cause of his combos and well I love Super Mario plus his forward air, side smash and Up Smash are so satisfying to hit. Link it was because of his vast array of weapons and because of respect for The Legend of Zelda. I might not not be it's biggest fan but I like the series a lot and he always stood out as a character.

In Brawl it was still them and Donkey Kong and Olimar.

Sma4sh still them and then Greninja and Olimar.

In Smash Ultimate once I play it Mario and Link will still be there and I'll finally get a chance to play as King K. Rool Greninja as well. Don't know who the fifth will be but I'll find out.

So those are my mains Mario and Link will always be number #1 and #2 for me and I've grown so attached to both characters I'd never put them down. King K. Rool is probably going to join them as my third option. And I use the frog ninja Greninja as well.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
something something #FPSrepresentationmatters
You missed my entire point. I merely pointed out that JRPG/RPG characters are actually MADE for you to fall in love with them. Think of any other medium of entertainment: what is it that they do? They craft a story around characters and make them endearing. Video games have the extra level of player interaction, and sometimes this extra spicy level of connectivity overshadows the character crafting. You can't tell me that the characters and how they develop is the focus of TF2, because you would be lying. It was all about collectibles and the market surrounding them, which is gameplay.

Yeah, the characters were funny and quirky. I love the Pyro's introduction very much. I find it quite comical. I never got into TF2, but I likely would have played him or the Spy, but it wouldn't have been for the sake of their character traits: it would have been for the game mechanics behind the, as I love taking the least shooty mcguns route in FPS games.

I guess the best way to say this is that all these heavily-requested characters from RPGs are requested not because they just love the game, but because their connection to the character is so deep. You can love Heavy and I can love Cloud Strife, but due to the nature of their respective games, one offers more substance for emotional attachment to the other and therefore reaches more people.

Also, I hate to have to repeat this, but there is not under-representation. That is something people have made up as some weird quota goal to slap onto products now. Smash Ultimate is one of the best games ever made, and it keeps getting better, but meeting artificial representation quotas will not do that. We don't NEED and FPS genre character like we don't NEED more female characters like we don't NEED more characters that aren't humanoid.

We NEED more characters people love, and if they fall under other things like FPS or female or non-humanoid than that's just and extra plus for the people who are more worried about abstract things that don't matter over having fun characters that everyone loves.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Everyone in here has chatacter they want, but honestly I'm pretty content with the roster (as I've said). At this point, I just want characters like Geno who have been requested for a while and are popular in the Smash fanbase.

However, I wouldn't mind another Sonic character, Bandana Dee for series I've played. Weirdly enough, I really really want Travis Touchdown and Doom Slayer despite me never playing their games (though I want to), and it has nothing to do with their fans wanting them (so I just want them personally as opposed to Geno).

I weirdly don't have many pie in the sky desires. I'm unsure why that is. But I guess I wouldn't mind Sora or Master Chief to see the internet implode. I guess I have one weird desire and that is the Prince of the Cosmos from Katamari. Though he'd probably work better as an Assist Trophy (but even so, he isn't even a character who I super want, I just think he'd be neat).

So yeah, I'm just pulling for you guys. Sure, I could pull for Bandana Dee or something, but I've accepted the roster as it is, and anything else is just extra toppings on an already delicious hot fudge sundae.

(((Also, um... I unironically want Steve from Minecraft. I don't want to start a flame war, but I think his moveset would be cool and Minecraft is massive so I think he's earned a spot. In MY OPINION.)))
Alright bro that's it your human privileges are gone

AugustusB

Smash Champion
-A vast majority of the hypothetical list is decent sized fan picks, on par or bigger than Geno and Crash.

-Don't expect a lot of NPC promotions. This includes spirits and ATs. I will say that ATs and Mii costumes already in the game are a lot less likely and, if the jump happens, it'd be literally one and I have a hard time seeing Sakurai do that for the sake of fairness.

-Most have not appeared in Smash in any form.

-Most are third party but not all.
That is kind of exciting in all honesty. I am going to deep dive into Nintendo's first party and see what could possibly be 1st party that is not already in Smash.

Are different series' off the table? Example would be Three Houses, since Fire Emblem is in Smash. Of course, if you cannot answer, I understand.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Alright bro that's it your human privileges are gone
I know you're teasing, but I honestly want to hear what you and people think! It'd be pretty funny to have people genuinely upset at me for my wants like Steve when I said I just wanted what other people wanted.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Well I started Smash from the very beginning with DK and the only way I knew how to get KOs was picking people up and walking off the edge lol. Eventually though I learned how to actually play and mained Mario, who was my main for every game up to now. With Ultimate I think it’s safe to say my main’s now Ridley, though I still play Mario a lot. I play a lot of other characters too though, I’d say Greninja, Captain Falcon, and Luigi are probably my secondaries if I’m using that term right

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613

Ay, that's a fun subject to talk about, so you're forgiven. Myself, I'm not a competitive player either and I like to mix up which characters I play from time to time, but I do have my favorites.

I also started with Brawl. Back then I was a fan of :fox: and :falco:, but over time I grew tired of them and gravitated more towards :warioc:, :diddy: and :falcon:.

Then, I managed to get Melee about an year before the release of Smash 4, where I played a lot of :luigimelee:, :dkmelee: and eventually :jigglypuffmelee: after I realized how good she was in Event 51, lol.

When Smash 4 came around, I picked up :4wario2:, :4dedede: and :4link: and played a bit less with some other characters too. I ended up not playing the game as much as I thought I would, but those three stuck around.

And finally with Ultimate, I grew fond of :ultridley:, :ultkrool: and :ultbanjokazooie:. Partially due to hype and partially due to them being sick characters. I still play :ultkingdedede: and :ultwario: often and others like :ultroy2: and :ulttoonlink: a little less. And of course, if our star warrior comes, you can be sure he'll be among them.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Did I hear Chorus Kids? :chuckle:

So this isn't particularly a question for Fatman as it is to you guys, I haven't been around Smashboards so much over the Ultimate cycle so I'm wondering what makes Fatman's claims particularly valid? I remember him from a while back but didn't know him as an insider or leaker.

Lots of information being discussed today in any case. I'll have to think about what to make of it, but I love the idea that some first party characters might still stand a chance. Oh also, if you think that the AT being discussed is anyone other than Waluigi then idk what to tell you. There's no way Nintendo hasn't brought that up to Sakurai at least once.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord

So this isn't particularly a question for Fatman as it is to you guys, I haven't been around Smashboards so much over the Ultimate cycle so I'm wondering what makes Fatman's claims particularly valid? I remember him from a while back but didn't know him as an insider or leaker.

Lots of information being discussed today in any case. I'll have to think about what to make of it, but I love the idea that some first party characters might still stand a chance. Oh also, if you think that the AT being discussed is anyone other than Waluigi then idk what to tell you. There's no way Nintendo hasn't brought that up to Sakurai at least once.
He's made friends with multiple insiders and gets info from them that isn't made public, not a leaker but definently informed.

D

Deleted member

Really hope so he deserves it, and definetly would love to see him in. After all he's been through yeah it'd be great! So definetly want Waluigi in for sure Wah!

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Oh also, if you think that the AT being discussed is anyone other than Waluigi then idk what to tell you. There's no way Nintendo hasn't brought that up to Sakurai at least once.
I agree. I have unironically thought since DLC was announced that Waluigi had a serious chance. The outcry for him (no matter how much was genuine or a meme) was massive. If ANY Assist Trophy is getting promoted, it's him. So I'm sure that is the character Fatmanonice was talking about.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the last episode of "**** Fatman said Today:"

-Can confirm that Sabi's source said no Geno or Doom Guy for #5.

-Doom Guy has only been a serious part of the conversation for about a week now. If he's coming, I wouldn't count on him until E3 at the earliest.

-"The Power of 6" Mii costume theory is pretty solid based on what I know.

-My theory is that 6 and 7 will be characters with leftover assets from Ultimate and Smash 4 since Season 2 was supposedly just decided around E3.

-No serious talk has been had about Sora but a lot of people agree he's probably coming eventually anyways due to his popularity. Basically wins the "Nintendo would probably run across a minefield to get for Smash" award.

-Ryu's suspect with two points being made is that Capcom and Team Ninja hate working together and how often the name comes up with nothing substantial tied to it. Personally gives me deja vu of Steve.

-Personally believe that #5 comes down to two characters on the hypothetical list or a curve ball no one has heard yet. Based on the fact that two of Sabi's bigger sources seemingly already know who it is, it's probably one from the list.

-Based on the hypothetical list, don't expect a ton of NPC promotions or first/second party.

-Don't expect any characters created after Joker/Luminary either (so around the 2017 mark I think).

I think that covers everything.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

My first Smash game was Brawl. I actually wasn't super into it when I was little. But I did play it with a friend from time to time and would always pick Link.

Smash 4 I played more than Brawl but not to a huge extent. I never really played it unless there was a lot of people to play with. For the characters I did play, I played a bunch of Pac-Man at first. Pac-Man World 2 was my favorite game as a kid and seeing Pac-Man in Smash at the time was really cool and exciting to me. I later ended up playing a lot of Bowser Jr. and just before Ultimate came out, I played a decent amount of Mega Man.

And all though 64 is older than me and Melee came out at a time where I was still extremely young, I do have both. Don't touch them a lot, but I usually play Kirby in 64 and Fox in Melee if I ever get around to it.

Ultimate is where I really got into Smash though. I was crossing my fingers throughout all of base game speculation that Geno would make the cut, but that didn't happen. So I decided to main Link instead since I loved Breath of the Wild, and his new bombs looked extremely fun to play around with. That's been my main for the entirety of Ultimate, but I've also played a good amount of Cloud. There's a bunch of characters I want to play more with though. Trying to get some characters I like into Elite like Inkling and Banjo, but it's mainly Link I play. Hoping Geno becomes my main new though, those fingers are still crossed

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
-My theory is that 6 and 7 will be characters with leftover assets from Ultimate and Smash 4 since Season 2 was supposedly just decided around E3.
I think we should all talk about this guys. This is brand new information that could have interesting implications. What do you all think Fatmanonice means by this?

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I main Geno.

Jk, I main Sonic and uhhhh... I guess Corrin and Lucina. It's just, I like to play many different characters (particularly swordies) so it's kinda hard.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So, a couple of things.
  1. That huge GenoBros-morale-boosting-post-that-is-extremely-shareable-and-should-go-viral is still coming, Just been a little sick and distracted.
  2. I really amazes me how many different genres are trying to put a decent story into their games, and by that I do mean stories that are meant to entrance you and make you bond with characters. I used to think that this was truly exclusive to platformers and J/RPGs but frankly, games like Mass Effect, Bioshock, new God of War, Borderlands (though the story of BL3 is REALLY weak) and many others blow me away. I love this change of games from other genres that never really cared about a deep and compelling story really doing their best. We need more of this.
  3. So I was trying to get an idea on other popular RPG characters that people could be talking about, so I Google it and this came up when it changed my search from 'popular RPG characters' to 'famous RPG characters'
    1573343824348.png
    LOOK WHO IS IN THAT LIST AT THE TOP AAAAAAAAAHHHHH~! I'm not sure if it's biased by my history or not I really don't know. The last time I did something like this was for metal bands and I barely knew any of them.
  4. This is very anecdotal I feel, but I also feel like you guys need to heat this. I have a buddy IRL named Adam and he's a bit of an in-your-face kinda guy but he also has a creative side. I originally met him because he was my boss but he was awesome so we became friends. As it turned out, we both loved fighting games since we were younger and it's been our thing to explore new ones and try to get okay at them and fight one another. So, Adam hates Smash...like, he HATES Smash. He's one of those guys who see it as a party game instead of a fighting game, and I've tried to argue this point multiple times, but as someone who loves traditional fighting games myself I totally see where he is coming from. He was talking smack about it all the time when we talked about tournaments and I just let it slide because he's never that guy who would hate on someone seriously for liking something he doesn't. He'd give you some ****, but he wouldn't actually be unreasonable about it. Even so, he has been keeping up with Smash news due to both myself talking to him about it and his interest in Masahiro Sakurai as a developer. I think his interest in him was sparked by a combination of MatPat's theories on the lore of Smash Bros as a series and also how I talked about the things Sakurai has done and what he has gone through, and I noticed that he started watching stuff for Ultimate news like breakdowns. Well, he either watched the Terry Bogard breakdown himself or Maximillian_dood's reaction to it...and it was clear to him how much Sakurai loved traditional fighting games and how he grew up with that in his life just like he(Adam) did. The attention to detail with Terry and the love poured into the character as well as some of Sakurai's remarks and how Terry plays more like a traditional fighter and how there is now a stage that is DESIGNED to feel like a traditional fighting game stage...this caused him to not just buy Terry, but to go out and buy Smash Ultimate as a whole (he already had a Switch, but he never touched it)! I understand this is anecdotal, but from my eyes, Sakurai is making a bridge between the FGC and Smash. He doesn't this with nearly every character he brings into the game and this is what I wanted you guys to understand: Just because a characters means nothing to YOU doesn't mean that character means nothing to EVERYONE ELSE. We are pretty good about that here, but I just wanted to state how that 45 mins of nothing but Terry sold my Smash-ragging friend to buy the game.
Hope you all enjoy that wall of text! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom