• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Well, we’ve spent the last few pages asking Fatman about a bunch of potential DLC characters ...except for one.

Our boy.

How you feelin’ about him? Still good? Even better? Maybe a little worse?
Which character?

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
-6 and 7 will probably be low hanging fruit ala Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy in Smash 4. What I mean by this is that Nintendo probably already had stuff to work with when a Season 2 was decided. That said, I'm personally not expecting any totally new characters to Smash after #5 until E3.
Hold up what are you saying here? If veterans, echoes, trophies and costumes are out then what would they be using that isn't " totally new"?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, we’ve spent the last few pages asking Fatman about a bunch of potential DLC characters ...except for one.

Our boy.

How you feelin’ about him? Still good? Even better? Maybe a little worse?
MissingGlitch MissingGlitch Mind making a vibe check meme for me?

Not to be rude, but how many times do I have to say I feel good about Geno's chances based on what I know?

Grumbo

Smash Ace
It's of my personal opinion that's a much higher chance of Geno and Sora by the end of DLC than just Sora. Here are some of my additional thoughts:

-#5 won't be from a company with a character already in the Fighter's Pass (even if Sora is technically Disney)

-6 and 7 will probably be low hanging fruit ala Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy in Smash 4. What I mean by this is that Nintendo probably already had stuff to work with when a Season 2 was decided. That said, I'm personally not expecting any totally new characters to Smash after #5 until E3.
Fatman youre confuzzling us

Also what on earth is number 5 gonna be if it isnt Capcom, Namco, Ryu, Doomguy, Crash, Geno, or any promotions? An indie character? We’re kinda running out of options and companies

StarLight42

Smash Lord
MissingGlitch MissingGlitch Mind making a vibe check meme for me?

Not to be rude, but how many times do I have to say I feel good about Geno's chances based on what I know?
Haha. Sorry, it’s just been a bit confusing and hard to keep up with what your current stance is because you’ve been posting way more frequently lately. (And this thread moves a million miles per minute) Good to know. I’ll shutup now

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fatman youre confuzzling us

Also what on earth is number 5 gonna be if it isnt Capcom, Namco, Ryu, Doomguy, Crash, Geno, or any promotions? An indie character? We’re kinda running out of options and companies
*bad apple intensifies*

Reimu win. Reimu always win.

That or maybe Professor Layton, Sol Badguy, Ezio, WoW character, Etc.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Does the first party character who's on your list and is not in smash at all yet have a support thread on this forum?
This is way too specific... To clarify my low hanging fruit comment, Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were the first DLC to work with because they had assets from the past to work with. I think 6 and 7 will be the same: assets either from this game or in the past that were either in or cut at some point in development.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
*bad apple intensifies*

Reimu win. Reimu always win.

That or maybe Professor Layton, Sol Badguy, Ezio, WoW character, Etc.
Bad apple you say, perhaps there is a pokemon for that...

Gen 8 rep confirmed

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
This also lines up with the rumor that "Season 2" was decided around E3 and explains why Hero and Terry simply had costumes cut and not full on replacements (presumably Chocobo and Geno for Hero and Heihachi for Terry).
No one has really been asking you about Heihachi despite people affirming that his lack of Mii costume is suspicious. Do you view him as a possibility? Do you have any speculation as to why the Mii costume was, supposedly, cut?

This is way too specific... To clarify my low hanging fruit comment, Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were the first DLC to work with because they had assets from the past to work with. I think 6 and 7 will be the same: assets either from this game or in the past that were either in or cut at some point in development.
Um, that seems to be quite the interesting prediction there. "Assets from this game" must mean Assist Trophy data, because I have 0 idea what you'd mean otherwise. And that last comment about possibly scrapped at one point is also quite interesting indeed... (funny enough, that lines up with Heihachi since he was considered for Smash 4).

Edit: Woah! OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer is right! I completely forgot about the Chorus Kids! They should definitely get their due!

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
Having only two spirits being promoted into DLC fighters sounds like a red herring to me.

Do you agree?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This sort of makes me think Chorus Kids tbh.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
It's of my personal opinion that's a much higher chance of Geno and Sora by the end of DLC than just Sora. Here are some of my additional thoughts:

-#5 won't be from a company with a character already in the Fighter's Pass (even if Sora is technically Disney)

So #5 is going to be from a company other than Square, Sega/Atlus, Rare/Microsoft and SNK. There's still plenty to consider with this in mind. Capcom, Bandai/Namco, Konami, Bethesda and so on.

For #6 and 7 I take it they are characters that have significant support behind them, whether by means of having some kind of weight on the old Smash ballot (remember Mega Man on the old poll for Brawl? Smash 4 confirmed) or general interest due to having some kind of presence already on the Nintendo Switch (Crash/Doomguy maybe?). Either way it sounds really good for Geno, since he's been wanted since Brawl and came close in Smash 4 with the Mii costume, so maybe Sakurai will go all-out and finally grant us our request.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
This sort of makes me think Chorus Kids tbh.
But if we’re gonna get another Grinch leak character...why can’t it be Isaac *multiple cry face emojis*

But on a serious note, yeah, Rhythm Heaven fans have been getting jerked around by leaks for ages now. Chorus Kids are very deserving at this point

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Okay, I know this is super unlikely, but this kind of makes me think Custom Robo. Please just tell me Custom Robo isn't on the list so I can stop hoping.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
I know I know. You're right, I just feel constantly left out that I don't like most RPGs and Sakurai tends to want to add characters from RPGs.

Also a lot of you are sleeping on the true namco pick.
View attachment 245925
THANK YOU! I've been mentioning him for months. Well, him AND Kite off and on but since almost nobody wants to recognize the first, the latter is just viewed as ridiculous.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I still don´t understand why Square Enix did not allow Geno to be part of the roster in Brawl, I can understand that it is difficult to work with them when it comes to licensing and although it is true that they had their problems in the past with Nintendo after they developed Super Mario RPG and each one went their way, I do not think they did not know how much people asked to see the character join the fight

D

Deleted member

Hmm lots of information came out huh? Interesting.

Well this should be fun. To catch up on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is there a decent chance and evidence of Geno potentially being leakbait?
Not really. Only character I think is potentially leakbait is Ryu because of how weirdly aggressive his presence has been. It's been close to a year since he came into the conversation and, like Steve, people have heard him but there's never really been anything substantial tied to him. Like I've chronicled in this thread, Geno's had coincidences tied to him a mile high including being part of an official Square Enix memo and being heard by supervisors at NoA. Another thing that makes me wary about Ryu is the rumor that Team Ninja and Capcom absolutely LOATHE each other and are so petty about it that they refuse to work with each other under any circumstances.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Not really. Only character I think is potentially leakbait is Ryu because of how weirdly aggressive his presence has been. It's been close to a year since he came into the conversation and, like Steve, people have heard him but there's never really been anything substantial tied to him. Like I've chronicled in this thread, Geno's had coincidences tied to him a mile high including being part of an official Square Enix memo and being heard by supervisors at NoA. Another thing that makes me wary about Ryu is the rumor that Team Ninja and Capcom absolutely LOATHE each other and are so petty about it that they refuse to work with each other under any circumstances.
Wait what? I've never heard this stuff about Geno. What was on this memo?

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I have always felt that Ryu was the perfect hypothetical leakbait. He's a popular character but not too popular so when he pops up on leak lists it would stand out compared to something like Geno, Banjo, Crash or Sora who everyone and their grandma had been putting on leak lists.

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Did something happen between the two companies so that they have so much hate for each other?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Part of me wants to know if the assist that might be upgraded is Waluigi or Isaac so I'm not let down when Isaac misses his second chance.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
No one has really been asking you about Heihachi despite people affirming that his lack of Mii costume is suspicious. Do you view him as a possibility? Do you have any speculation as to why the Mii costume was, supposedly, cut?

Um, that seems to be quite the interesting prediction there. "Assets from this game" must mean Assist Trophy data, because I have 0 idea what you'd mean otherwise. And that last comment about possibly scrapped at one point is also quite interesting indeed... (funny enough, that lines up with Heihachi since he was considered for Smash 4).

Edit: Woah! OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer is right! I completely forgot about the Chorus Kids! They should definitely get their due!
Mii Costumes could count as assets, at least it's a rough sketch of a model. Remember how the K. Rool costume had the shiny gold armor rather than the beige underbelly on the old trophy from Brawl? So, I think that would point to Geno, Lloyd, and Heihachi.

Another option could be old trophies. Rayman and Wonder Red come to mind immediately.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Cut/dropped characters in Smash are particularly interesting.
Blastoise was considered before being swapped for Squirtle.
Decidueye was planned before Incineroar power slammed him.
Heihachi was intended but deemed too difficult to formulate a moveset.
Chorus Kids was always more of a theory than anything else.
Mach Rider and Excitebiker were both planned for Melee.
Geno was planned for Brawl and was also considered during Smash 4 to a degree.
Alucard was replaced by the Belmonts since they were a bit more iconic for the Vampire Killer than he was.

Assets, assets, assets... Maybe assist trophies are too obvious.
Consider this: maybe it isn't really just confined to Ultimate. There are plenty of characters from the past that they could use assets from but the only one that really makes sense in terms of notability would be something like...

The Alloy, Wireframe, and Polygon Teams from Smash Bros 64, Melee, and Brawl.

It's super far out there but consider how the Everyone is Here! statement was being literal: Master Hand was playable near the end of World of Light, which could very easily be a reference to the fact that Master Hand was a hackable character in Smash Melee. So technically speaking, everyone was there. What if it's a Smash Bros original character from the past? Like the teams, the Primids, or even Master Hand.

Assets could also simply refer to using properties from characters in the past games like moves or other things?

Really, assets is a really weird way to put it.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well that makes a lot of sense, and there are several assists with models and animations already made they could build off of that were cut
The full list would be
Barbara (weird but doable, not really popular at all though)
Elecman (feels really unlikely)
Excitebike (not realizable)
Helirin (not realizable)
Infantry & tanks (probably nothing by itself but maybe with a CO playable?)
Jill (interesting but not very popular)
Kat & Ana ( very doable but would make fans mad)
Lakitu ( doesn't make much sense)
Magnus (doesnt make much sense)
Resetti (doesn't make much sense)
Ray mk lll (!)
Saki ( Interesting)
Tingle (possible but not very popular and largely phased out now)

There's also the heihachi and chorus kids talk from smash 4. Technically the forbidden 7 as well but I doubt that has any relevance to today. I think this gives a better idea of how the 1st party murmurs were going.

I imagine this includes trophies from 4 and maybe even brawl. Will have to dig through that later though that's just too much.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I still don´t understand why Square Enix did not allow Geno to be part of the roster in Brawl, I can understand that it is difficult to work with them when it comes to licensing and although it is true that they had their problems in the past with Nintendo after they developed Super Mario RPG and each one went their way, I do not think they did not know how much people asked to see the character join the fight
Capcom didn't even approach Nintendo for Mega Man to be included, which speaks volumes about the inclusion of third parties during Brawl's development. I'm not sure whether the companies approach Nintendo or Nintendo approaches the companies when it comes to third party inclusions; either way, there were only two third party characters, and Sonic was a last-minute addition whose inclusion delayed the game.

Geno was a popular suggestion back then, sure, but would it make sense for Square-Enix to prioritize any character over either of their flagship franchises? (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest)

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
When I think of "smash characters who had assets left behind they could work with" I immediately think Chorus Kids.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Honestly yeah I could see Ryu Hayabusa being leakbait at this point. IAmShifty has cried wolf too many times and he apparently bought into the Mii costume leak and saw Doomslayer as #5 (despite saying that Ryu would be #4 AND #5 at some point)

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Capcom didn't even approach Nintendo for Mega Man to be included, which speaks volumes about the inclusion of third parties during Brawl's development. I'm not sure whether the companies approach Nintendo or Nintendo approaches the companies when it comes to third party inclusions; either way, there were only two third party characters, and Sonic was a last-minute addition whose inclusion delayed the game.

Geno was a popular suggestion back then, sure, but would it make sense for Square-Enix to prioritize any character over either of their flagship franchises? (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest)
Perhaps, but seeing that they were able to delay the game to add Sonic at the last minute, it seemed odd that they did not do the same with Geno or the other characters that were cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom