• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Little town hero isn't a bad idea on the surface, too bad its post luminary like all the other possible leads.

This is going to drive me nuts until I figure it out.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I've never seen something more wrong.

You do realize that most games kinda don't care about characters and focus on gameplay, right? RPGs are very much story-focused, and you can't have a story without characters, and the characters have to be worth investing in. FPS games care more about gameplay, usually multiplayer, rather than characters. Battle Royale game care about gameplay, not characters. Sports games care about making money, not characters.

This is why it makes sense to have more JRPG/RPG characters being requested and put into Smash, because more people will be fans of those characters since they fell in love with them, which is what RPGs are supposed to do. How do you think all us Geno fans got here in the first place? The majority of us are fans from when we were kids, and most of the rest are people who liked him for smaller other reasons and then played the game and fell in love with him there as well.
This is the biggest pile of bull**** I’ve ever heard. Only RPGs care about characters, everything focuses on gameplay? It’s not like TF2 has cast of colorful characters with different personalities.
Or Overwatch. Or Fighting Games.

You keep adding JRPG characters over and over again things will get stale. The other genres have potential for a moveset that is incredibly interesting and unique because you have to find a way to represent that gameplay into a platform fighter. This is why people are clamoring for an FPS character right now, because it’s a genre that is pretty much unrepresented and we want to see how it’ll translate into a fighter. The fact that the other genres focus on gameplay, as you claim, make them more interesting as fighters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He's the biggest anime-esq JRPG/RPG character left not in Smash that has absolutely no representation. I don't even think that's arguable.

Like, for the same reason I have confidence in Geno is the same reason I have confidence in Sora.

Sakurai is not going home but in fact going bigger than ever, and you don't get much bigger than Sora.
Oh, I agree, it's just that if Sora eventually comes I see him as #9 or #10. Hell, making him a 2020 VGA announcement would blow people's minds. I also don't have confidence in Sora coming anytime soon is the fact that Disney is absolute dog**** at keeping secrets. If he were coming for the VGA or early next year, I could practically guarantee that conversation would be clogged with the guy.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Oh...oh no...

I'm not sure if it's because I'm sick but my stomach just got hit by a wave of nausea.

Guys, guess who hasn't appeared in Smash at all, and is third party, and would be a bigger deal than Geno or Crash AND could have Geno, Mallow, and Chocobo come as Mii Costumes....

The spiky-haired nerd with a giant key, Sora.

Somehow, somewhere, SSGuy SSGuy is seething and hunting down Sora fans as we speak.
This is actually a fair point and one we ought to take into consideration. We all just assumed the Mallow costume equals Geno.

Though that does raise the question as to why it is the Geno costume itself wasn't leaked, if in fact we're just getting a costume and Sora made it in instead. Hmm.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Little town hero isn't a bad idea on the surface, too bad its post luminary like all the other possible leads.

This is going to drive me nuts until I figure it out.
Lol is that really another one of the conditions? So let me get this straight.. When it comes to first party DLC it has to be:

1. Not connected to Smash currently

2. Be from a game before July of this year?

Is there anything that actually even qualifies for that? This seems a little too ridiculous.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That makes a lot more sense to me. I may tease you about your stances on things and question you a lot, but I know you are a Geno fan, so your response both caught me off guard as odd AND seemed like something you might say.

I have no issues with Sora and think he'd be a great inclusion to Smash, but at the cost of Geno? That is a price too great to pay.
Yeah, I want Sora in as another one of those “Holy ****” moments for the Smash community where Sakurai proves how far he’s willing to go for Smash and fans everywhere. I don’t have a ton of connection to him personally beyond liking his potential move set and music. I wouldn’t be particularly upset if he got in over Geno as I’ve been always sort of prepared for such a reality and I can’t be upset when I know how much of a big deal Sora is. But I would always be disappointed to see Geno not make it in and particularly would hate for him to be a gunner costume because I dislike the gunner’s moveset.

But the ideal world I halfway expect is to see both Sora and Geno in by the end of DLC (and I really dont think they compete at all except as big fan picks, and even then they’re quite different).

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Fatman, I apologize for all the questions, but personally, where do you place the likeliness of support outlasting another 5 fighters?

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Lol is that really another one of the conditions? So let me get this straight.. When it comes to first party DLC it has to be:

1. Not connected to Smash currently

2. Be from a game before July of this year?

Is there anything that actually even qualifies for that? This seems a little too ridiculous.
Even better, dragon quest 11 came out july 2017.

Astral chain, three houses, swsh,XC2, or practically every switch game. All out

Unless it's holes in the spirit list I have literally no idea.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Based on what has been playing out and deconfirmation of Doom being FP5, I think right now we are either getting a Bamco or a Capcom character for FP5.

Mainly between Tales Of/Tekken or Monster Hunter/Phoenix Wright/Resident Evil franchises

Hopefully Geno comes with the additional DLC. So much going for us right now.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Even better, dragon quest 11 came out july 2017.

Astral chain, three houses, swsh, or practically every switch game. All out

Unless it's holes in the spirit list I have literally no idea.
And that’s why I don’t believe that. Not even just from a bias standpoint. It just doesn’t make any sense. Sky is the limit for third party, but we have these weird regulations for first party DLC?

I’ll just wait to see for my own eyes. Not saying I discredit things from people like Sabi and FMOI, because I do believe them. But some things just don’t add up.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Supposedly games.

Little Town Hero character here we come! /s?
That's funny but if we take into account that none of the fighters are meant to be more recent than DQXI's Luminary (most recent fighter, followed by Incineroar, who is surprisingly two months younger than Joker), That immediately drops almost all Nintendo Switch games.
Games that aren't represented in Smash that would satisfy people and aren't controversial while still being first party? That's really hard to really crack down on.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
also by Spirits I guess you mean base game ones. Ones patched in thru events like Peachette and the DXM Spirits, as well as peeps on DLC Spirit boards like Kyo Kusanagi are ineligible right?

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
And that’s why I don’t believe that. Not even just from a bias standpoint. It just doesn’t make any sense. Sky is the limit for third party, but we have these weird regulations for first party DLC?

I’ll just wait to see for my own eyes. Not saying I discredit things from people like Sabi and FMOI, because I do believe them. But some things just don’t add up.
Well I imagine it's a universal rule, no spirits or 3rd parties created after that are coming either and in the broader scope of gaming it's not that big a limiter, but it does make the newcomer bracket very strange and why absentees seem the only possibility.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Controversial how? Controversial as in this isn't fanservicey, or controversial as in the series is very...dicey?

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
also by Spirits I guess you mean base game ones. Ones patched in thru events like Peachette and the DXM Spirits, as well as peeps on DLC Spirit boards like Kyo Kusanagi are ineligible right?
Given the 50 tracks we got, how the stage was handled, and how the series icon is the star on Terry's jacket for some reason I think it's a safe bet to say he's the only one coming.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatman, I apologize for all the questions, but personally, where do you place the likeliness of support outlasting another 5 fighters?
No evidence for it right now and I personally don't expect it. We started to get the first bugs in our ears about extra DLC in probably mid July so if a "Season 3" is eventually coming, I doubt we'll hear anything for like another 8 or 9 months. Speculation is that Nintendo green lit "Season 2" after seeing the Fighter Pass and Joker demolish sales expectations so it could be another case in Nintendo waiting things out before fully commiting to it.

D

Deleted member

In a perfect world, Geno is owned by Nintendo, Sora is owned by Square Enix, and Dr. Wright is owned by Electronic Arts.

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
Been a lurker for a bit now but I was just curious if those extra dummy CSS slots for WoL could hint for a possible season 3? IIRC it was like 10-15 slots so that could definitely fill out if we got 3 total seasons with 5 characters each. Not a hard piece of evidence for sure but just some food for thought.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Been a lurker for a bit now but I was just curious if those extra dummy CSS slots for WoL could hint for a possible season 3? IIRC it was like 10-15 slots so that could definitely fill out if we got 3 total seasons with 5 characters each. Not a hard piece of evidence for sure but just some food for thought.
More were added

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking of dummy slots, we know Hero and Banjo didn't fill those WOL slots. Idk if Joker did. Did dataminers find out if Terry did or didn't too?

Grumbo

Smash Ace
In a perfect world, Geno is owned by Nintendo, Sora is owned by Square Enix, and Dr. Wright is owned by Electronic Arts.
Dont send poor Doctor Wright to those monsters. No one deserves that fate.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
This is the biggest pile of bull**** I’ve ever heard. Only RPGs care about characters, everything focuses on gameplay? It’s not like TF2 has cast of colorful characters with different personalities.
Or Overwatch. Or Fighting Games.

You keep adding JRPG characters over and over again things will get stale. The other genres have potential for a moveset that is incredibly interesting and unique because you have to find a way to represent that gameplay into a platform fighter. This is why people are clamoring for an FPS character right now, because it’s a genre that is pretty much unrepresented and we want to see how it’ll translate into a fighter. The fact that the other genres focus on gameplay, as you claim, make them more interesting as fighters.
Ahem.

No genre is under-represented in Smash, just like no OTHER markers are under-represented.

We do not have quotas for representation, only characters people really want. That's the only quota: characters that fans really want.

Oh, and looky-here! People REALLY want more JRPG/RPG characters despite all the RPG characters in Smsh already. Isn't that weird?

Geno, Mallow, KOS-MOS, Lloyd, Yuri, Velvet, Sephiroth, Tifa, Sora, Crono, Neku, Rex & Pyra...and SO many others. They are all requested because people have fallen in love with them and the game was crafted around making that happen, where as with other games the game doesn't really have the goal of doing that. I will say that some games that aren't RPGs do dedicate themselves to a good story and having good characters, Master Chief being a good example of this. Fighting games often actually have over-arcing stories for the characters that mostly get lost in the shuffle for those not looking for them, but are actually rather well fleshed out. I've noticed that action-adventure games and hack n slash games are doing really well for character stories and development when they never REALLY did that as much as they focused on fun action.

Overwatch and TF2 do not compare to any of what I've listed. I'm sorry, but having quirky characters with small film segments that hint at more is no where near a fleshed out character story that has multiple arcs. That's not to say you can't like those characters, but when you compare those who love Tracer to those who love Cloud, you can tell which character is more deep and has more dimensions to them almost immediately.

There are multiple reasons for wanting characters in Smash. Personally, I see the FPS hype to be more about a playstyle that hasn't been in Smash all that much and even MORE about genre representation (which, as I mentioned, doesn't matter in the grand scheme). The playstyle part I can get behind, as I support Incineroar's inclusion, even though I feel like any FPS character will be more about shooting different guns that do different things rather than anything crazy interesting...but if anyone could get me to play a FPS character in a game, that would be Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

No evidence for it right now and I personally don't expect it. We started to get the first bugs in our ears about extra DLC in probably mid July so if a "Season 3" is eventually coming, I doubt we'll hear anything for like another 8 or 9 months. Speculation is that Nintendo green lit "Season 2" after seeing the Fighter Pass and Joker demolish sales expectations so it could be another case in Nintendo waiting things out before fully commiting to it.
Is there a decent chance and evidence of Geno potentially being leakbait?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is actually a fair point and one we ought to take into consideration. We all just assumed the Mallow costume equals Geno.

Though that does raise the question as to why it is the Geno costume itself wasn't leaked, if in fact we're just getting a costume and Sora made it in instead. Hmm.
It's of my personal opinion that's a much higher chance of Geno and Sora by the end of DLC than just Sora. Here are some of my additional thoughts:

-#5 won't be from a company with a character already in the Fighter's Pass (even if Sora is technically Disney)

-6 and 7 will probably be low hanging fruit ala Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy in Smash 4. What I mean by this is that Nintendo probably already had stuff to work with when a Season 2 was decided. That said, I'm personally not expecting any totally new characters to Smash after #5 until E3.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Electronic Arts should not own any videogame IP... Let that company burn-in "#¤%"" with all the shady stuff they love to do (flashback towards Star Wars battlefront 2)

OffBi

Smash Ace
Did you actually mod in the mask? Thats pretty good if so
Oh no, i didn't mod anything, i just found this on 4chan, thought it looked cool and put it here to show you guys.
Also i unironicly want FNAF represented in SMASH in some way, shape or form

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Well, we’ve spent the last few pages asking Fatman about a bunch of potential DLC characters ...except for one.

Our boy.

How you feelin’ about him? Still good? Even better? Maybe a little worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom