• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I can answer this one!

The victory theme filenames skipped over a number between Incineroar and Inkling; but Piranha Plant filled in that spot in 2.0.0. Just more proof that the Plant was planned to be a base roster fighter, but got moved to DLC due to time constraints.

If you're curious about the full order of Ultimate newcomers, it goes:

Isabelle, Incineroar and Piranha Plant are first because they reuse victory themes from other fighters; Inkling, Ridley and K. Rool are next as original first-party compositions, and Simon is last in the base roster because third-parties are always sorted last in victory theme order.
Thats what I’d been looking for. Thanks

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Wait, so Geno and Doomguy are not likely for fighter pass 5 according to Sabi? and Sabi said no Ryu Hayabusa or Crash too right? So who could be the fighter 5? At this point I'm thinking its a Bandai Namco rep like Lloyd or a Capcom character like Leon or Phoenix.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Wait, so Geno and Doomguy are not likely for fighter pass 5 according to Sabi? and Sabi said no Ryu Hayabusa or Crash too right? So who could be the fighter 5? At this point I'm thinking its a Bandai Namco rep like Lloyd or a Capcom character like Leon or Phoenix.
Lol, everyone on this board expects it to be a Namco or Capcom rep, even though no insiders have hinted at it whatsoever.

I can’t wait to see all of your reactions if the VGAs turns out to be a repeat of last year, with another Joker like reveal

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Not gonna lie, I thought a Capcom rep was a shoe-in before September, but after they had some of their Mii Costumes dropped with Banjo I started to doubt that possibility. They could still have a new fighter in the Fighter Pass of course, but I'm banking on a Bandai Namco rep or an out of left field pick no one ever thought about before like Terry.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
If it has to be a 3rd party character who doesn't have much buzz going on for him I'd like Travis Touchdown

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Lol, everyone on this board expects it to be a Namco or Capcom rep, even though no insiders have hinted at it whatsoever.

I can’t wait to see all of your reactions if the VGAs turns out to be a repeat of last year, with another Joker like reveal
Its only logical to think it would be a Bandai Namco rep. They helped create Smash Ultimate and Smash Wii U. And they are the only company who had a presence in both games, who don’t have a second rep, they only have Pac-Man. Which makes it even more odd considering they are literally making the game and Bandai Namco has so many characters that people would want in Smash. Throw in the fact that Heihachi didn’t make an appearance in this past Mii pack despite it being composed of fighting game characters, and it would be the perfect time to release the Heihachi mii costume.

So there is a reason why most people are assuming it will be Bandai Namco.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Just for fun, what are your guys' mains? I'm not super competitive with Smash, but I do play without items and I do play more characters than is typically seen.

I started playing Smash at a younger age in Brawl. I played these characters: :ultpikachu: and :ultmetaknight: (didn't know he was op).

In Smash 4, I remained playing as Pikachu and Meta Knight, but I also added: :ultsonic: and :ultolimar:

Then, when Ultimate came out, I added these lovely lads: :ultridley: and:ultpichu: and :ultjoker:

My best characters are probably Pikachu (+ Pichu) and Joker, with Olimar and Sonic close behind. I know that people typically only have one or two mains, but I just have gravitated to these guys over the years and don't want to give them up. I chose Pikachu in Brawl since I tried other characters and he felt the best to me as a youngin' (plus I, of course, knew him since I played Pokémon lol), and Meta Knight I just played because he looked awesome. I didn't really know Kirby at the time.

In Smash 4, I picked up Sonic because I've always liked the series (no matter how bad and cheesy it gets), and he felt better in Smash 4 than in Brawl. Olimar I picked up because I fell in love with the Pikmin franchise at the time thanks to Pikmin 3 (where is Pikmin 4...).

And lastly, Ultimate I picked Pichu because I had played Pikachu my whole Smash life, and I was probably gonna play Pichu regardless (though luckily he wasn't a joke like he was in Melee, so I actually play as him a bit as opposed to if he were a joke). Ridley I picked up because I fell in love with Metroid at the end of the Wii U's life (thanks Prime Trilogy) and I had always heard the cries for Ridley (even without me following speculation). I usually hate heavyweights that aren't quicker, but I somehow like Ridley a lot. Albeit I play him more casually, but still, I didn't expect to like him more than a casual distraction at times (like Incineroar for me). Now Joker is interesting, as I began to hear about Persona 5 right before his reveal. I was somewhat interested, but became fully into the idea of playing Persona when Joker stole his invite into Smash! *sigh* Man, I really want to play Persona 5, 4, and 3 (yes I'm a casual). So I guess while I wait to play Persona 5, Joker in Smash is my only alternative.

Don't really think anyone cares about any of this, but I just felt like typing in this out.
As someone that has been since the 64 days, I started with :ultyoshi: because he was (and still is) my go-to character with games like Mario Party and Mario Kart. But then in Melee, I tried out :ultmarth: and his playstyle fit me a lot better. Took a break from him with :ultike: because I managed to pretty much beat the crap out of my opponents. But then come Smash 4, and I decided to pick up :ultlucina:because I felt that :ultike: was nerfed to .... and.. well those that have seen my previous profile pictures with her and :ultrobin: together can piece up the reason why...

However now with Ultimate, while I still play :ultlucina:from time to time, :ultzelda: for the fact that she works best for me in this game. I mean, she did get me to the final on a local tournament yesterday

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think I caught up with everything.

Old characters that were consinderd or have assets could be future characters.

We won't get Geno or Doom Slayer yet but they haven't been ruled out ether for the future.

Sora is possible and could be a future pick but maybe not in this DLC.

No character that were created after Joker or Luminary will get in.

Those are just some points but thank you for the information Fatmanonice.

Firox

Smash Master
"No Geno, no Doom Guy, no Ryu, no Crash, and no Tracer" for #5 to summarize what Sabi has gotten back from 3 of their bigger sources including the NoA source.
Fair enough. As far as historical fan demand/smash ballot/3rd parties go, that leaves us with Lloyd (or another Tales rep), Rayman and Tails/Eggman (this is off the top of my head). As far as 3rd party/Sakurai's secret hard-on picks, that could include things like another SE rep (2B or another FF character), Master Chief, Reimu, Travis Touchdown and many more I can't immediately think of.

DISCLAIMER: all the candidates I've named thus far are based on non-AT's that also come from currently unrepresented or underrepresented companies. Also, NONE of the characters I"ve mentioned have yet to gain a shred of circumstantial evidence to suggest they're coming or that their chances are better than each other's.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Alright then. Let me ask you all a question: Who would be the most left field pick? Frogger? Dig Dug? Q Bert? Monokuma? Soul Calibur rep? GTA rep?

Just for fun, what are your guys' mains? I'm not super competitive with Smash, but I do play without items and I do play more characters than is typically seen.

I started playing Smash at a younger age in Brawl. I played these characters: :ultpikachu: and :ultmetaknight: (didn't know he was op).

In Smash 4, I remained playing as Pikachu and Meta Knight, but I also added: :ultsonic: and :ultolimar:

Then, when Ultimate came out, I added these lovely lads: :ultridley: and:ultpichu: and :ultjoker:

My best characters are probably Pikachu (+ Pichu) and Joker, with Olimar and Sonic close behind. I know that people typically only have one or two mains, but I just have gravitated to these guys over the years and don't want to give them up. I chose Pikachu in Brawl since I tried other characters and he felt the best to me as a youngin' (plus I, of course, knew him since I played Pokémon lol), and Meta Knight I just played because he looked awesome. I didn't really know Kirby at the time.

In Smash 4, I picked up Sonic because I've always liked the series (no matter how bad and cheesy it gets), and he felt better in Smash 4 than in Brawl. Olimar I picked up because I fell in love with the Pikmin franchise at the time thanks to Pikmin 3 (where is Pikmin 4...).

And lastly, Ultimate I picked Pichu because I had played Pikachu my whole Smash life, and I was probably gonna play Pichu regardless (though luckily he wasn't a joke like he was in Melee, so I actually play as him a bit as opposed to if he were a joke). Ridley I picked up because I fell in love with Metroid at the end of the Wii U's life (thanks Prime Trilogy) and I had always heard the cries for Ridley (even without me following speculation). I usually hate heavyweights that aren't quicker, but I somehow like Ridley a lot. Albeit I play him more casually, but still, I didn't expect to like him more than a casual distraction at times (like Incineroar for me). Now Joker is interesting, as I began to hear about Persona 5 right before his reveal. I was somewhat interested, but became fully into the idea of playing Persona when Joker stole his invite into Smash! *sigh* Man, I really want to play Persona 5, 4, and 3 (yes I'm a casual). So I guess while I wait to play Persona 5, Joker in Smash is my only alternative.

Don't really think anyone cares about any of this, but I just felt like typing in this out.
The first Smash game I played was Brawl. I mained Snake because I was playing through the MGS games at the time and I really enjoyed his moveset. For Smash 4, I was all over the place. First Pac Man, then Ness, Kirby, then finally I ended with Bowser Jr and Marth. I enjoyed Bowser Jr and his moveset felt just right for me. And Marth was fun to play as. He had good range and his tipper is always satisfying. Now for Ultimate, it's tricky. I wanted Simon to be my main because I love Castlevania, but I suck with him as I can't seem to set up any good combos. It's funny, after playing Ultimate for almost a year, guess who is probably my best character.......Plant. Yes Piranha Plant is the character that I have the best results with. I play him a lot and he is a tricky character who I often get replay-worthy moments from.

But for the most part, I play offline. 8 player smash is my favorite part of the game. 8 players, items set to high, assist trophies and pokeballs only, stage morph, and final smash meter = utter chaos.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
As someone that has been since the 64 days, I started with :ultyoshi: because he was (and still is) my go-to character with games like Mario Party and Mario Kart. But then in Melee, I tried out :ultmarth: and his playstyle fit me a lot better. Took a break from him with :ultike: because I managed to pretty much beat the crap out of my opponents. But then come Smash 4, and I decided to pick up :ultlucina:because I felt that :ultike: was nerfed to .... and.. well those that have seen my previous profile pictures with her and :ultrobin: together can piece up the reason why...

However now with Ultimate, while I still play :ultlucina:from time to time, :ultzelda: for the fact that she works best for me in this game. I mean, she did get me to the final on a local tournament yesterday
I thought Banjo & Kazooie was your mains, i know Zelda was before.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm gonna be honest; with the leak still not being debunked, I'm kinda wondering if pass 5 will go to Reimu. That's my left field pick, anyways.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
On the last episode of "**** Fatman said Today:"

-Can confirm that Sabi's source said no Geno or Doom Guy for #5.

-Doom Guy has only been a serious part of the conversation for about a week now. If he's coming, I wouldn't count on him until E3 at the earliest.

-"The Power of 6" Mii costume theory is pretty solid based on what I know.

-My theory is that 6 and 7 will be characters with leftover assets from Ultimate and Smash 4 since Season 2 was supposedly just decided around E3.

-No serious talk has been had about Sora but a lot of people agree he's probably coming eventually anyways due to his popularity. Basically wins the "Nintendo would probably run across a minefield to get for Smash" award.

-Ryu's suspect with two points being made is that Capcom and Team Ninja hate working together and how often the name comes up with nothing substantial tied to it. Personally gives me deja vu of Steve.

-Personally believe that #5 comes down to two characters on the hypothetical list or a curve ball no one has heard yet. Based on the fact that two of Sabi's bigger sources seemingly already know who it is, it's probably one from the list.

-Based on the hypothetical list, don't expect a ton of NPC promotions or first/second party.

-Don't expect any characters created after Joker/Luminary either (so around the 2017 mark I think).

I think that covers everything.
Can you clarify left over assets?

Does that point in favor of Geno and Lloyd? (Via Mii Costumes)

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

I kinda like how you are tossing this out in a semi-toxic manner because you think that since no one has talked who it is rather than who it isn't when, in reality, nearly all of us would be okay with another Joker-level pick in terms of not expecting the choice at all.

Sakurai has proven he knows how to pick 'em. I have confidence and whoever he chooses.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Fighter 5 being Heihachi means the fighter pass would be

2 RPG characters
2 fighter characters
Banjo.

I was hoping for a much greater reach of gaming than that but whatever I guess. Just my personal opinion that's all.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
You know what? I just remembered that video Papagenos made a little while ago talking about Arle from Puyo Puyo. He did point out that Puyo Puyo was the one japanese game they brought over for the SNES online, which I do find suspicious as well. She might be my left field pick.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
At the very least, I feel optimistic on Geno. There has to be a reason his costume didn't come with Hero, and my guess is either the Mii outfit being spruced up a la Sans or Geno becoming a fighter. I'd prefer fighter, but at least being able to pretend with a GOOD costume would be a lot better than Sm4sh.

Also Griselda Griselda thank you for your support. Being a dev on the virtual Virtual Boy (the VVB, as I will call it) was quite the privilege. ;)

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
This is really random, but seeing all of these "boomers" in here reminisce about their first Mario games makes me chuckle (lovin' the "okay boomer" memes).

I'm probably one of the younger guys in this thread! Wanna know how young? My first Mario game was either New Super Mario Bros. or Mario Kart Wii (I can't remember specifically).

Go back to your rocking chairs boomers, and take your boomer doll with you.:ultpacman:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Heihachi has always rubbed me the wrong way. On principle, I'm not a huge fan of other fighting game characters joining unless they have somthing cool to bring to the table like Scorpion.

Firox

Smash Master
You guys know what? I'm having a feeling...and this is just a totally random, unfactual feeling...but given Sakurai's friendship with Suda 51, I'm sensing that fighter #5 is going to be Travis Touchdown. He's totally unexpected and ironically would fit Smash very well given the whole pseudo-arcade game feel of No More Heroes anyway. Plus, it would be so badass to get a light saber wielder in the game. And it wouldn't be like he's just another swordfighter since he's got all those pro wrestler moves and cartoony special moves. In fact, he's one of the most original swordfighters I can think of and we all know how much Sakurai loves original movesets...

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Its only logical to think it would be a Bandai Namco rep. They helped create Smash Ultimate and Smash Wii U. And they are the only company who had a presence in both games, who don’t have a second rep, they only have Pac-Man. Which makes it even more odd considering they are literally making the game and Bandai Namco has so many characters that people would want in Smash. Throw in the fact that Heihachi didn’t make an appearance in this past Mii pack despite it being composed of fighting game characters, and it would be the perfect time to release the Heihachi mii costume.

So there is a reason why most people are assuming it will be Bandai Namco.
Feel free to think that they are more than likely, the missing Mii costume is a smoking gun for Heihachi in particular (For either post pass or even FP5)

However, I wouldn’t go in expecting either of them. I find it funny that they literally told us right from the get go to expect the unexpected, yet this board keeps gravitating toward the same circle of characters, without taking into consideration the potential for surprises. This board got blindsided by Joker and Terry (Judging by the reaction to the trademark), and if Hero wasn’t such a poorly kept secret, it would’ve been the same for him too. (Banjo has been the only character that has been speculated before DLC was announced, the rest were not talked about before either leaks or the announcements). And not only that, but from the looks of how things are going, it is very likely to happen again at the VGAs.

All I’m saying is, don’t be surprised if FP5 ends up being a curveball, and if the character is outside of the usual Smash bubble. (And it would still cause unecessary salt, even though they told us from day 1 what the DLC would be like).

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
This is really random, but seeing all of these "boomers" in here reminisce about their first Mario games makes me chuckle (lovin' the "okay boomer" memes).

I'm probably one of the younger guys in this thread! Wanna know how young? My first Mario game was either New Super Mario Bros. or Mario Kart Wii (I can't remember specifically).

Go back to your rocking chairs boomers, and take your boomer doll with you.:ultpacman:
Ok Zoomer. :4pacman:

(says the 23 year old)

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

Ooh. The Ridley grind, eh? Feels bad man. I mained Wario back in Brawl when all I did was get obliterated by my older brother. Ness was always my go-to in Melee and often times I'd whip him out in Brawl, too. When Project M started becoming popular I picked it up, mostly due to the expanded roster. But the mod quickly outlined what made Melee so much different than Brawl, and generally more fluent. It's then that I got into competitive scene and picked up Lucas. (If any of you were avid PM fans, you know that Lucas with double-jump cancels and Offense-up as Neutral Special was absolutely insane.) I played Wario on the side, too, mostly for my love of the character. Your boy skipped out entirely on Smash 4 (And by extension the Wii U's lifecycle). Now with Ultimate, things have kind of come full circle. I'm back on Wario whose finally a character with blatant viability. His aerial speed makes his combo game so goddamn fun. I also still keep Ness in the pocket for matchups I find difficult to pressure with the Garlic Man.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
All of these people in here feeling Travis Touchdown make me want to... uh, idk, touch... down and give them a high five? Idk, my generation ate Tide Pods, give me a break.

TRAVIS FOR SMASH BABBYYYYY

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613

I'm in a weird spot where I grew up with games as old as the SNES era and as new as the Wii era, so I guess I'm a boomer/zoomer hybrid.

Excuse my while I go back to my rocking chair and chew on my pack of tide pods. :ultpacman:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I kinda like how you are tossing this out in a semi-toxic manner because you think that since no one has talked who it is rather than who it isn't when, in reality, nearly all of us would be okay with another Joker-level pick in terms of not expecting the choice at all.

Sakurai has proven he knows how to pick 'em. I have confidence and whoever he chooses.
Out of curiosity, how do you think this board will react if someone like Kratos is revealed?

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Ovaltine Ovaltine Seeing as I am probably one of if not the youngest zoomer here, I demand for you (as a stereotypical self-entitled zoomer) to create an old-man boomer Geno. What with your fantastic art and all. ...for a boomer that is. If all you boomer folk want a boomer character, might as well make him look as boomer as you guys:ultpacman:

(Boomer sounds weird now)

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Assets as in bits and pieces of things that could theoretically be used as resources or references in the creation of a character.
So could that point towards Mii costumes from Smash 4?

Sorry for getting super specific. I find that theory that they would scramble for resources for the first few fighters of DLC2 interesting. I feel like theoretically you could make almost anyone using assets from other characters.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
God this is painful. Just when we thought we narrowed down fighter 5, we get another monkey wrench thrown at us. At this point, CJ from GTA San Andreas could be our next character. I'm ready for that chasing the train final smash.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Sometimes I wish I was inside the insiders community. It would take a lot of stress off waiting. Not a huge fan of only playing with part of the available information.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
-Doom Guy has only been a serious part of the conversation for about a week now. If he's coming, I wouldn't count on him until E3 at the earliest.
Sorry to bother you, but I just want to ask for clarification on this point. Did Doom Slayer only become a serious part of the conversation after the Mallow/Cacodemon leak, or were there some rumblings just before it? I think there's a difference between him being brought up naturally in discussion and being spurred on by a leak; so I just want to make sure I understand this right.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Ovaltine Ovaltine Seeing as I am probably one of if not the youngest zoomer here, I demand for you (as a stereotypical self-entitled zoomer) to create an old-man boomer Geno. What with your fantastic art and all. ...for a boomer that is. If all you boomer folk want a boomer character, might as well make him look as boomer as you guys:ultpacman:

(Boomer sounds weird now)
You kids need to fetch me my goddamn dentures is what you gotta do.

(In all seriousness, this is an excellent little idea... :drflip: )

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Out of curiosity, how do you think this board will react if someone like Kratos is revealed?
Honestly Kratos would probably be the biggest shocker with how stubborn Sony is with competition. If they added him and Master Chief, that would break the internet. Kratos vs Master Chief vs Mario. People would go nuts.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Feel free to think that they are more than likely, the missing Mii costume is a smoking gun for Heihachi in particular (For either post pass or even FP5)

However, I wouldn’t go in expecting either of them. I find it funny that they literally told us right from the get go to expect the unexpected, yet this board keeps gravitating toward the same circle of characters, without taking into consideration the potential for surprises. This board got blindsided by Joker and Terry (Judging by the reaction to the trademark), and if Hero wasn’t such a poorly kept secret, it would’ve been the same for him too. (Banjo has been the only character that has been speculated before DLC was announced, the rest were not talked about before either leaks or the announcements). And not only that, but from the looks of how things are going, it is very likely to happen again at the VGAs.

All I’m saying is, don’t be surprised if FP5 ends up being a curveball, and if the character is outside of the usual Smash bubble. (And it would still cause unecessary salt, even though they told us from day 1 what the DLC would be like).
I agree that people got blindsided by Joker and Terry, especially Terry. That said Atlus is owned by Sega, so Joker technically is a Sega rep. So while he was really unexpected, he was from a company already represented in Smash Ultimate.

The same could happen with Bandai Namco, maybe we all think it’ll be Lloyd or Heihachi or even Nightmare, then get blindsided when it turns out to be Kos-Mos or Klonoa. Even though it’s still Bandai Namco, it still could surprise us.

Or maybe you’re correct and it’ll be some character no one thought of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom