• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Now let's expand on this with some logical deductions. A Square Enix character is in. Sakurai already has permission to use Geno. Realistically speaking, it would be more of a bureaucratic difficulty to put in a SE character that wasn't Geno. They'd have to go through yet another round of negotiations and shelling out money for permission to use whatever character that was, and it's pretty clear from the content we've seen that all of the licenses SE granted Nintendo in Smash 4 have carried over to Ultimate. We've got Cloud. We've got Midgar. We've got both songs. If there were renegotiations, I sincerely doubt we'd have the same two songs only. It's pretty clear to me that whatever agreement Nintendo and Square Enix had applied to both games.
This is actually an excellent point. If Verg is to be trusted, this 100% makes sense. I will always be a little skeptical of leaks, but Verg has been pretty solid so far. I can also see them wanting to reveal a Minecraft stage or anything Minecraft related closer to launch as well. I truly believe Geno is in, but I won't be confident until I see his trailer. But this is bang on.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
When the 103ers were shutdown by the CoroCoro scans, I jumped with joy. By now I think I'll launch myself into orbit when the box theory finally dies. People are treating this box like the ESRB leaks in smash 4. We need info soon so the next several weeks aren't just screeching about a box. Imagine if we have to wait through all of October with no info, with the Boxists in our ears the whole time..

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have never commented in a Geno thread ever. Here is what I have to say. I do not think Geno is going to be on the base roster but he is guaranteed for DLC. One of Vergeben's most trusted sources has said a second Square-Enix character is coming, and I am 90% sure this character is going to be Geno. The reason for my confidence is due to Sakurai himself saying he wanted Geno to be playable since Brawl. Geno has a distinction that no other prospective character has, the blessing of Sakurai himself. He is virtually guaranteed. His confirmation at this point is not a matter of if, but rather "when".

If he was not going to be playable in any form (on the base or as DLC), I feel he would have already been confirmed as an Assist Trophy.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sadly, I am losing hope. I very much believe all signs are pointing to Incineroar and Ken being the final two. The likely situation is that Verg's SE rep is our first DLC, and Geno is definitely not the character you do for DLC. Sakurai knows all too well his popularity, so he would have been something attempted during the main development and not a bonus thought for DLC afterward. I also just know SE all too well. They are just too stingy to let it happen. :(
I disagree. Smash 4's DLC was pretty much made for the hardcore Smash fans. Mewtwo and Cloud were the only ones that casual players cared about, virtually no one wanted Ryu, Smash fans were the only ones that cared about Roy and Lucas returning, and Corrin and Bayonetta were Literal Whos™ to a vast majority of people outside nerds like us that speculate Smash day after day. Don't forget about all the super obscure Mii costumes that popped up as well.

If anything, someone like Geno is just fine for DLC plus, truth be told, who isn't a Smash fan and isn't going to buy the remaining roster? They could have a levitating apple with a #2 pencil jammed in it as a fighter and a vast majority of us would willing cough up a measly $5 for it. Nevermind the fact that Geno has been a staple in the Smash fandom for a whopping 13 years now. Saying people wouldn't buy Geno really isn't true because Corrin was so far off the radar that he might as well have been a satellite in space since he was Japanese exclusive when he was announced. Honestly, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
This is actually an excellent point. If Verg is to be trusted, this 100% makes sense. I will always be a little skeptical of leaks, but Verg has been pretty solid so far. I can also see them wanting to reveal a Minecraft stage or anything Minecraft related closer to launch as well. I truly believe Geno is in, but I won't be confident until I see his trailer. But this is bang on.
I think as equally as important as anything too is how long Geno has been on Sakurai's radar, so to speak. I've heard lots of people remind us that Sakurai wanted him in Brawl, but he didn't get in. Effectively, Geno has been a consideration since a little after Melee was done, or even just as Melee was finishing up at the earliest, and in Brawl's conception phases at the latest. Not trying to make it an almost romanticized thing here, but to be considered and wanted by Sakurai as long as Geno most likely has been keeps stacking it up. The costume in Sm4sh acknowledged that Sakurai never just went, "oh well, drop him and move on. He's outdated and nobody remembers or cares enough."
That's just how it kinda adds up to me. I'm pretty confident it's just a countdown at this point, though I really want to see the reveal to guarantee Geno's presence.
Verg is about the only one so far I make an exception on taking leaks with a grain of salt on. Didn't start that way, but has certainly come to be that way.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
And on a lighter note, I know the Geno boys are used to being disappointed (I will remember your trip to Japan Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ) but one thing I do know is that all evidence points to our boy in blue.

Vergeben is legit. That much is more or less without question. He's been told multiple times by multiple people that a Square Enix character is going to be in. Now I'm not sure exactly what role at the company would allow you to have that information without knowing who specifically the character is, but he's been told it enough times that he is certain it's true. He's also said that if he said the name of the character he's heard from one source and he turned out to be wrong, there'd be hell to pay. I can think of no other character with that kind of staying power and fanbase.

Let's go into this Square Enix character concept a bit further since it leads us to some interesting outcomes. An important fact to remember going in to Ultimate is that Sakurai already licensed Geno from Square Enix. A character's likeness in the form of a costume is legally the exact same thing as the character itself. Permission has already been granted to use the character.

Now let's expand on this with some logical deductions. A Square Enix character is in. Sakurai already has permission to use Geno. Realistically speaking, it would be more of a bureaucratic difficulty to put in a SE character that wasn't Geno. They'd have to go through yet another round of negotiations and shelling out money for permission to use whatever character that was, and it's pretty clear from the content we've seen that all of the licenses SE granted Nintendo in Smash 4 have carried over to Ultimate. We've got Cloud. We've got Midgar. We've got both songs. If there were renegotiations, I sincerely doubt we'd have the same two songs only. It's pretty clear to me that whatever agreement Nintendo and Square Enix had applied to both games.

I don't think the comments made by Sakurai with regard to Geno need to be repeated for me to make my point here.
Well said!

AugustusB

Smash Champion
In regards to Geno being in the 'story mode - Spirits' What if Star Road was destroyed by *UNKNOWN* and that is how he returns.

But then at the end if Star Road is repaired...The feels...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Verg is being cautious because the Gematsu guy was practically ruined in the aftermath and I think he stated that up until recently he still got regularly harassed online and hate mail. I think people forget just how toxic this fanbase can be at times.

Dan

Smash Lord
On the topic of sakurai liking to playfully troll his fans, just remember the K. Rool reveal. He literally used the character he voices (ddd) to laugh and taunt k rool fans before actually revealing him.

It was one of the most creative ways we’ve seen him mess with fans. So who’s to say he’s not gonna try and top himself again?

He knows geno is popular, I wouldn’t put it past him to pull a stunt trying to make us think he won’t make it only to surprise us later.
But he actually likes Geno, and actually wanted to put him in the game; he only did K. Rool to please the fans.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Verg is being cautious because the Gematsu guy was practically ruined in the aftermath and I think he stated that up until recently he still got regularly harassed online and hate mail. I think people forget just how toxic this fanbase can be at times.
I would rather him be cautious than having false hope. I respect that actually. He has to look out for himself, and until he is 100% sure, I’d rather him hold off. But I really do believe it’s Geno.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The box theory is just the sister theory to looking for empty spots on the mural and judging how many characters are left off of that. In a month or two, they'll announce something big and this theory'll be blown completely out of the water and nobody will know what to think.

Dan

Smash Lord
The box theory is just the sister theory to looking for empty spots on the mural and judging how many characters are left off of that. In a month or two, they'll announce something big and this theory'll be blown completely out of the water and nobody will know what to think.
I get what you're saying, but the box theory is way more credible than the mural thing.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I get what you're saying, but the box theory is way more credible than the mural thing.
I agree that the mural thing isn't anything, and I can at least buy that this box theory could be true. But I think it easily could be someone from Nintendo who knows what is going on, and makes a theory that would make us go insane. It's ridiculous, but it's believable enough that people will buy into it. I'm sure Nintendo scours the internet for what people are saying. I'm positive they could have seen everything Verg is saying about Ken, and making something that emphasizes that. I mean even the way they are doing it where there are nine characters then it switches seems kind of ridiculous to me. There is no rhyme or reason why they should be organized like that.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I feel that the box's empty spots are just attempted symmetry for an artistic choice.

Explains why Isabelle isn't on it, despite them both being revealed around the same time. I doubt their promotional team would know the full roster.

Of course, we won't know for sure until Sakurai confirms that we've seen everyone.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I do believe the implications of the box theory bode well for Ken specifically, but I also think people are looking way too deep into things by saying we're for sure only getting two more newcomers and only one of them unique. It's a mockup and almost certainly doesn't represent what the final product will look like; Nintendo wouldn't show their hand like that, especially with so many months left until release. That would kill the hype for their big online membership seller prematurely, and they know it.

Regarding the whole Vergeben thing, he's probably just playing it safe for the sake of his credibility when it comes to not naming the SE newcomer yet. He knows leakers are put under a massive magnifying glass of scrutiny, and if he makes one slip-up, he'll be called a liar and he'll be done for. (Just look at how many people out there outright refuse to believe he's legit despite getting nothing wrong so far.) I believe it's probably Geno as much as the next guy, but I don't think his reluctance to name them has any bearing on who the SE newcomer actually is.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
The other thing I noticed about the box theory. The proportions look very off for the box that is being discussed. It is more upright where almost every other bundle is looked at where the base is longer than the height. Even this image from IGN looks more like a normal. Like I'm clearly looking way too far into this, but I feel like that's what this whole Box Theory is. I actually feel significantly better about it all. It's an obvious placeholder.

link2702

Smash Champion
But he actually likes Geno, and actually wanted to put him in the game; he only did K. Rool to please the fans.
Well that just means his chance is even better as he’s not just doing it to please fans but himself as well :p

What I’m getting at is that he still might try to be pulling stunts to throw us off right before the reveal. Sakurai loves doing stuff like that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The other thing I noticed about the box theory. The proportions look very off for the box that is being discussed. It is more upright where almost every other bundle is looked at where the base is longer than the height. Even this image from IGN looks more like a normal. Like I'm clearly looking way too far into this, but I feel like that's what this whole Box Theory is. I actually feel significantly better about it all. It's an obvious placeholder.

It IS a placeholder. The thing about the box theory is not if the box is a real box. It's not

It's if the pattern on the box is deliberate.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
These 40 people are going to be added to the OP soon

Standlord
Dionaea_floridensis
Nazzul
NintendoFan388
Nauzgo
TheOneAndOnlyLuki_
TheCJBrine
JustCallMeJon
KingPotato
GenoREBORN
AugustusB
JamesDNaux
Oblivion129
Funktastic
ShroomEL
Dynamic Worlock
Red Dead Redeemed
Bendario
IGuessItsOver
Zabadoo
pika.thunder25
Gerrothorax
Makko Slade
Sleeps with Butterflies
S.F.L.R_9
BrashCandicoot
Xigger
Tinfoil
RedDragon64
RetrogamerMax
Zyphyris
NovaFight
Tiymako
ThoughtfulWanderer
Haunted237
UberMadman
Justy7s
thirsty-pocket
NukeA6
Link Okumura
FCZHornet

That's 41 but I know at least 1 of them already are in it

Edit: It looks like we're at 196 regular/ confirmed supporters.

Still need to do that Legacy List though

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So something I brought up in the Official Discussion Thread that might fight (lol) the box theory.

Sakurai has stated there are 800 tracks for the game, but with menu and fanfare there is roughly 900

Do you think only 2 more characters are gonna bring 50 tracks by themselves?

Hold on to faith my dear Geno friends!

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
These 40 people are going to be added to the OP soon

Standlord
Dionaea_floridensis
Nazzul
NintendoFan388
Nauzgo
TheOneAndOnlyLuki_
TheCJBrine
JustCallMeJon
KingPotato
GenoREBORN
AugustusB
JamesDNaux
Oblivion129
Funktastic
ShroomEL
Dynamic Worlock
Red Dead Redeemed
Bendario
IGuessItsOver
Zabadoo
pika.thunder25
Gerrothorax
Makko Slade
Sleeps with Butterflies
S.F.L.R_9
BrashCandicoot
Xigger
Tinfoil
RedDragon64
RetrogamerMax
Zyphyris
NovaFight
Tiymako
ThoughtfulWanderer
Haunted237
UberMadman
Justy7s
thirsty-pocket
NukeA6
Link Okumura
FCZHornet

That's 41 but I know at least 1 of them already are in it

Edit: It looks like we're at 196 regular/ confirmed supporters.

Still need to do that Legacy List though
I would also like to be added to the support list, if it’s not too much to ask :)

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
Feel free to count me in as well. I've been wanting this to happen since Brawl and even got to experience Super Mario RPG before then (memories of having played it at a cousin's house, then years later watched, then played the game to the end around the mid-oughts). I felt this is a bit of Nintendo history that unfortunately requires negotiating with Square to include, which is less of an issue now since Cloud is confirmed for 4 and now Ultimate.

I'm not particularly sold on the Box Theory either, something I find about as suspicious as some of the other "leaks".

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I still cannot get over people thinking that a box made up by a mock-up artist is the key to knowing the entire roster for this game. It's not like someone took a picture of the box, it is a completely photoshopped image. There's even typos on the thing.

But there's space for an echo fighter on the other side!

You don't suppose that maybe the mock-up artist is a Smash fan? Maybe he laid it out thinking Ken is going to be in?

They don't even let the announcer for the game know who exactly is in. They have him say dozens of fake names so he can't know for sure who's in or who's not. So the idea that a graphic designer, probably not even an in-house one, is going to be given intimate details of Nintendo's most closely guarded secret is absurd. The fact that the mock-up for a single region's controller bundle package is being taken as gospel has me thinking the Smash community is full of pessimists or is completely deluded.

Here's an official game poster:

Notice something? Notice that it's missing somewhere in the realm of half the characters in the game? Gosh, doesn't look like there's much room left, either. Guess that's it for Falco and Lucas.

I don't think I have the words in me to explain why this "theory" is the lowest tier of creative bankruptcy I have ever seen in my 10 years of Smash speculation. Give yourself a shake if you believe this.
You make a really good point. if we know for a fact they are going above and beyond for secrecy. why would some rando artist be allowed this info?
heck if they have done things like have an announcer say fake names what if this was even some kind of clever plan to set expectations low so they can blow our minds! the math of the Box theory makes sense but the Logic feels completely out of whack.

forget the box! let us dream!! a glorious future is out there waiting for us! Sakurai is on a quest to make everyone happy! and he has done a bang up job at it!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
With the few other people that have asked to be added I think we hit 200

I'll add them in a little bit

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Now back to the whole mystery SE character. I think at this point we can assume it has to be Geno through process of elimination.

we have heard word that Disney has done no talks with Nintendo. So our biggest competition is out of the race

not sure if anyone else has mentioned this before. but I think the still only 2 FF songs actually HELPS Geno's chances! because I think if they added another FF character they would need a song to go along with them. so no new FF guys.

Dragon Quest I don't see happening honestly. yes the GAMES are popular. but can anyone name a 1 specific character that stands above any other character in that series as the clear favorite that everyone knows and would vote for in the ballot? as far as I'm aware that series doesn't have a Cloud. or at least not someone to the extent of being that well known (granted DQ is much smaller in the states)

then what do we have left in our way? Crono? I mean it's a great game but can't see him beating us in the ballot.

With all the mountains of information we have working in Geno's favor it is stupidly obvious that we are the Square character. and Vergeben who has gone above and beyond for proving his credibility for info on smash says square is in (even hinting at it being Geno with the "The one you know about" comment)

Geno is in. it is happening. it would be absurd to try to refute every last detail that shows that he will be in the game.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
What does a guy have to do around here to support our beautiful blue baby puppet boy?

grizby2

Smash Lord
What does a guy have to do around here to support our beautiful blue baby puppet boy?
just make sure to like the OP and you'll be added eventually :]

on topic: what was it that made you guys warm up to geno? specifically anyone who was initially against his inclusion? id like to know the story about your change of heart.

I was never against his inclusion, but for me, it was the persistence and interest from the smash community that drew me to him.
i'll never forget it. I was at a small local smash bros tourney and there was a small circle of guys saying "geno" occasionally. I played a round with them and asked them "whos geno?"

as soon as I saw pictures, I instantly remembered seeing him in SMRPG screen shots. ever since then the echos of his name never ceased. any hack or mod of any smash game had some form of geno in it, any fan game would have geno in it. so on and so forth. its almost like a requirement to KNOW who Geno is if you;ve ever TOUCHED smash bros. weather you like him or hate him, his presence shall be known it seems.

Last edited:

MEra

Smash Rookie
Made an account just to add to the hype. GENO FOR SMASH ULTIMATE 2018

Also, is there a collective file for all Geno art? If so... I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) It's amazing seeing that there's a thread dedicated to Geno, ily all.

Made an account just to add to the hype. GENO FOR SMASH ULTIMATE 2018
Throwing my name into the support list. It'd be grand to see our puppet pal in the ring.
I would also like to be added to the support list, if it’s not too much to ask :)
Feel free to count me in as well.
The hype is bringing more people to smashboards and more
supporters! Welcome btw ;)

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Now back to the whole mystery SE character. I think at this point we can assume it has to be Geno through process of elimination.

we have heard word that Disney has done no talks with Nintendo. So our biggest competition is out of the race

not sure if anyone else has mentioned this before. but I think the still only 2 FF songs actually HELPS Geno's chances! because I think if they added another FF character they would need a song to go along with them. so no new FF guys.

Dragon Quest I don't see happening honestly. yes the GAMES are popular. but can anyone name a 1 specific character that stands above any other character in that series as the clear favorite that everyone knows and would vote for in the ballot? as far as I'm aware that series doesn't have a Cloud. or at least not someone to the extent of being that well known (granted DQ is much smaller in the states)

then what do we have left in our way? Crono? I mean it's a great game but can't see him beating us in the ballot.

With all the mountains of information we have working in Geno's favor it is stupidly obvious that we are the Square character. and Vergeben who has gone above and beyond for proving his credibility for info on smash says square is in (even hinting at it being Geno with the "The one you know about" comment)

Geno is in. it is happening. it would be absurd to try to refute every last detail that shows that he will be in the game.
Yeah, good points. There really aren't any Square reps that would be plausible except Geno. If Crono is the only one close to it, well...his game is as old and iconic as SMRPG, lol. And he doesn't have the benefit of being a partial Mario character, or having a hook near as unique as a weaponized puppet.

It's Geno. It has to be.

-Coco-

Smash Ace

Loto is the most well known/beloved. His game (Dragon Quest 3) was selling so much in Japan that Enix had decided to release the games on a weekend from then on due to kids skipping school just to play it. He's prominent in the first 3 games. His sword appears throughout the series and the latest DQ game is tied to him even including his symbol on the LE PS4 and his sword being in the game. Also Sakurai's favorite DQ game is 3.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
just make sure to like the OP and you'll be added eventually :]

on topic: what was it that made you guys warm up to geno? specifically anyone who was initially against his inclusion? id like to know the story about your change of heart.

I was never against his inclusion, but for me, it was the persistence and interest from the smash community that drew me to him.
i'll never forget it. I was at a small local smash bros tourney and there was a small circle of guys saying "geno" occasionally. I played a round with them and asked them "whos geno?"

as soon as I saw pictures, I instantly remembered seeing him in SMRPG screen shots. ever since then the echos of his name never ceased. any hack or mod of any smash game had some form of geno in it, any fan game would have geno in it. so on and so forth. its almost like a requirement to KNOW who Geno is if you;ve ever TOUCHED smash bros. weather you like him or hate him, his presence shall be known it seems.
Honestly, it was after Smash 4 released. I was a big fan of the mario rpgs, but had never played Legend of the Seven Stars. Once I heard rumors about Geno in smash with the smash ballot and what not, I decided to actually buy and play the game to see where all the interest came from. I not only loved the game, but have loved Geno ever since then.

So I gotta thank the Smash community for inadvertently motovating me to play one of my favorite games of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom