• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
If we're talking soul calibur reps, my preferred would be talim, as the tonfa blades are far and away the most interesting weapon in the series. However, we all know it's gonna be nightmare, since he's the poster boy for the entire series (or xianghua, since she seems to be the de-facto wielder of the titular soul calibur)

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I think Geno’s trailer could show the intro of smrpg where they introduce Mario, Mallow and Geno. Then Geno in game gets invited to smash. Kinda like Duck Huts trailer.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Could you imagine this fighters pass being Sakurai's wishes coming true? Then turns around and Geno is the first fighter revealed after the pass? "My wishes were granted...now, it's your turn"

I feel this s*** writes itself.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I feel like Sora's Final Smash would need to include Donald and Goofy to be a proper reflection of the character and games, which seems like extra red tape to go through to do him justice.

Really, with how Nintendo hasn't really done anything with Disney recently in areas Disney is known for (movies, theme park have gone to Universal), my guess is Sora is not happening.
There's no reason that he needs to include Donald and Goofy. Many people argued that you needed to have a Gangplank Galleon stage to properly represent King K. Rool, and he works just fine without it. This gets brought up a lot and it just feels like a way to try to discount Sora from greater discussions. Similarly, people echoing the sentiment that Sora can't happen because they have to deal with Disney sounds painfully familiar to the people who pushed back against :ultbanjokazooie::ultcloud::ulthero: as characters that just couldn't happen because of their legal situations. Sakurai has constantly proved people wrong and almost all the parties involved have expressed some amount of interest in the prospect of Kingdom Hearts in Smash, so it's something they're more interested in seeing happen than not overall. Disney may be a huge company with strong negotiating power, but they're not dumb and they like to make money and promote their IPs whenever they get the chance. Smash Bros. is potentially the one crossover with the name recognition and the potential for promotion that Disney would be happy to engage with.

As for Disney and Nintendo, they've got a pretty close relationship. They released Epic Mickey exclusively on the Wii back in 2010, which was kind of a big deal as it also saw them bringing back Oswald of all characters with that release. They're currently working on Disney Tsum Tsum Festival, which is exclusive to Switch, and they're releasing a Disney themed Switch in Japan to coincide with the game's launch. And then, despite Marvel being a huge money maker and cash cow, they somehow still let Nintendo get the exclusive rights to produce Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 on Switch and let them publish the game. Those are not minor interactions in the game world. They're also letting stuff like Star Wars and the re-releases of Aladdin/The Lion King games release on Switch with no issue, so I really don't think Disney is going to be such a huge problem. Yes, they may be a more difficult partner to negotiate with than others because of their size and power, but I don't think that's impossible to overcome when Sakurai also potentially wields quite a bit of power with Nintendo at his back.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I think comparing the Sony deal over Spiderman isn't the best comparison. One is owning the rights to a mega franchise while the other is a cameo in a video game that would also help advertise the series.

Also, Disney reps have said that they would defer Sora's inclusion in Smash to Nomura. They would of course still care about the finances, but I feel like Nomura's say would have a lot of weight in whether Sora would get in or not. If Sakurai and Nomura wanted Sora in, I think it would happen.
I'd argue it would be more than a cameo, but I get what you are saying. The comparisons aren't exact, but my main point is that Disney can be difficult to deal with, even with bigger companies. And that the potential complications might encourage Nintendo to go "It would be nice to get Sora in, but we still have a lot of fan favorites that would sell extremely well and would break the internet that we can negotiate for that aren't owned by Disney". I just don't trust Disney to not get greedy with this if it ever came on the table. And that in itself would create complications

Well when it comes to licensing out character companies usually get the money up front instead of a portion of the profits. Like with the Smash Bros DLC I'm pretty sure Atlus, Square, Microsoft and SNK aren't seeing a portion of profit from those characters showing up; instead Nintendo paid for the rights to use the characters up front and keep all the profits. Hard to say on that since there's no real documentation on these deals.

Also I would like to bring up when the MCU was using Spider-Man Sony came up saying that Tom Holland's Spider-Man does take place in both MCU and Sony's Universe with Venom. Sony had plans to take that fully develop Spider-Man and use them in their own products which probably erked Disney & Marvel since they did bring Spider-Man back up from Sony's mishandling. So after that and when the contract was ending Sony might've been dead-set on keeping Spider-Man for their own Cinematic Universe and wasn't going to budge even with they 70-30 split that was giving Disney the lower amount.

I will state that I don't believe one company is at fault, if anything both are to blame. Every company is out to make money, plain and simple. Just because they're doing well in one section doesn't mean they can stop trying to get more money. It's not just being greedy, every company has to pay their employees and invest in projects. Both Sony & Disney are at fault for this Spider-Man deal since each are going after the sweet Spider-Man profit and they're going end up losing a lot of money in the long run if they don't stick together. Remember how Sony wanted to do a Sinister Six movie without Spider-Man?
I mean even though it does work that way there would still be negotiations on how much Sora would cost and if Disney would let Square get a portion of the cut because they work on the games Sora is from. There's still possibilities of complications

Sony's handling of Spider-Man with their own universe was annoying and I also have hated a lot of their decisions they've made. But with this deal specifically, I do side with Sony. I don't think Sony was completely dead set on moving Spider-Man to their universe yet because they wanted to renew the current deal they had. That was the deal they wanted to keep before the 50/50 deal was brought up. I'd also argue even if Disney was offering a 70/30 split, you'd still be losing money. Not as much sure, but it still wouldn't be entirely fair. Especially since I haven't found anything that stated that Disney would let them get a cut of the Spider-Man merchandise, as well as a cut of the crossover films Spider-Man is in

I get a corporations job is to make money. That's totally fine. Part of the reason I'm with Sony on this is because the 50/50 deal would've really not be financially smart to take. But at the same time, there does come a point where you end up pushing it and becoming unreasonable and even though I get you want to make money to invest in projects and pay employees, you can do so in ways that are reasonable which I don't feel the 50/50 deal was. Sony did benefit from the previous deal sure, but I don't think Disney was getting the short end of the stick because they still make millions with Spidey regardless. While the loss for Spider-Man in the MCU does hurt both companies, I don't think it's that big. Sony proved with Venom and ITSV that they're more than capable of making it without Disney. And Disney is well Disney. It's a shame about Spidey, but they'll both be fine

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So after Geno get's in who's thread you'll all going to camp out at most of the time? After Geno get's in, I'll be spending most of my time in the Shantae thread.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
The additional DLC characters does bring up a lot of speculation. We could simply take it with what little information is given to us and just assume that we're only getting fighters... or we could speculate what we could get with these fighters, first, second or third party.

Obviously if we get any third party character, they would have to come with a stage and music to represent their series otherwise their inclusion would be pretty strange with no stage to their name
But what about first party characters? Maybe they could arrive with a few missing stages from previous games.
Example: Sylux with Planet Zebes, Black Shadow with Mute City (Melee), Dixie Kong with Jungle Hijinx, etc.
I honestly think that it's more so if you're franchise is already in Smash. Like Golden Sun is 1st party, but I'd be weird to just have Isaac and not the stage. So I would assume since Golden Sun doesn't have a stage, that they would throw one in if Isaac were to make the cut

Also in terms of a Geno CG trailer. I've always imagined it taking place in Bowser's Castle kinda like the opening to the original game. Would be a cool nod. Maybe he could team up with Peach and Mario and Bowser or something

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Can I just point out the absolute monopoly SquareEnix has with regards to fan-requested characters? Geno, Sora, Crono, Lara Croft, Gex, so many characters that would be great in Smash, all owned by the one publisher with the most convoluted copyrights.
Also, Nightmare would be a great Kirby rep. Need more villains
Fixed. :ultpacman:
Hatsune Miku doesn't count as a video game character since she originated from computer software so she suffers the same fate as characters such as Shrek, Goku and Spongebob.
But what is a computer if not an oddly designed video game console? :dkmelee:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I was very happy to see my boi Goemon as a Mii costume because I never thought he would be in Smash in any form. But as for popular characters, I wouldn't what them to get that treatment. To me, Mii costumes are only exciting for characters you thought had a 0% percent chance of ever appearing in Smash most notably someone real obscure like Goemon.
I think this is a pretty common sentiment, I was over the moon when I say ray get in as a costume because CR is dead now and we simply don't have the fan support that a character like geno or issac has to prop it up regardless. honestly it looks good and the moveset and whole custom moves gimmick of mii gunner fits perfectly with the theme anyway so I'm not going to care if it's out for good unless there's a sudden uprise in popularity I can get in and support.

So after Geno get's in who's thread you'll all going to camp out at most of the time? After Geno get's in, I'll be spending most of my time in the Shantae thread.
probably the issac thread though I'll certainly miss seeing many of the people here

Dynamic Worlok

Let's say you were allowed one character that breaks the "no non video game character rule" who would you pick?

Optional Hardmode: can't be Goku or anyone from a shounen anime.

I would have Sam & Max as a pair, similar to ice climbers.

D

Deleted member

Could you imagine this fighters pass being Sakurai's wishes coming true? Then turns around and Geno is the first fighter revealed after the pass? "My wishes were granted...now, it's your turn"

I feel this s*** writes itself.
This is one of the reasons I feel like Geno is still in the running to be Fighter 5. The only wrench in this "Sakurai's wishes" theory is that Banjo is here, and we still don't have concrete evidence that he ever really wanted Banjo to be in. He sure made him good enough to make one think he wanted him, though.

I'll be spending too much time sitting in front of the TV practicing my dream character to haunt some new character's thread.

Sorry but you'll all never see me again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Let's say you were allowed one character that breaks the "no non video game character rule" who would you pick?

My choice is clear.

On a serious note, though, no one. It just wouldn't feel right to me. I guess Geralt is the closest I'd accept since Witcher's games are that much more memorable and beloved than the actual freaking books rofl.

Last edited:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

Bobobo, Don Patch, and Jelly Jiggler as a trio fighter.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yoshimitsu seems the most fitting for a Soul Calibur representative because he has a history with both Tekken and Soul Calibur. Plus Sakurai would be someone to take advantage of all his different looks appearing as alternate costumes.

Other possibilities include Nightmare, Seong-Mia, Voldo (my personal SC pick) or even just Mitsurugi
Man, you know what would be a great video game movie? An action/drama anthology movie focused on Yoshimitsu and the various people who have taken up that title across time. So you’d have Yoshimitsu during soul calibur and the Yoshimitsu during the king of iron fist tournament and several in-between. People really sleep on Yoshimitsu.

None, I will finally be free from the hellscape that is Smash speculation

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! I got a campaign going on to hopefully help us. Wanna help out? ^^

About the Campaign:
It's called #UltimateSmash. The point is to let Nintendo and Sakurai know about the characters fans would like to see post Fighters Pass. Since there's no confirmation whether the DLC is already fixed or not, it's better to let our voices be heard just in case, even if the characters are already a likely pick. I can't guarantee success, but with enough demand, anything is possible (Sans Mii costume). The current 4 characters are Geno, Crash, Shantae and Paper Mario. More will follow if successful.

Like, retweet, and share the link below with as many people as you can to increase it's chances of being seen. Careful about spamming, though. I will do a new wave after every character reveal when Twitter is buzzing. Good luck and fingers crossed!

LINK TO TWEET

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
yeah I have to echo oval's sentiments I think the no non video game character rule exists for a reason and nothing I can think of off the top of my head would be worth opening that pandora's box. I hope if it ever goes down that its in the dlc so I can pretend it doesn't exist otherwise I might just skip out on it all together.

link2702

Smash Champion
I’d probably be trying to push for shantae or rex after geno gets in.

Shantae because we really should have a true indie rep imo, and not just a sans costume, shantae fits the role perfectly. Rex bc xc2 is one of my favorite games on switch and he could have a pretty neat moveset if he brings pyra and mythra with him.

Also isaac cuz i feel his fans really do deserve him. I’m not sure how sakurai would handle it though, either giving them adult isaac which I don’t think many would be thrilled for since kid isaac is more iconic, or by straight up disabling the isaac at when his playable form is in match. OR just not care and have it be like chrom.

Dynamic Worlok

Ah, a man/woman of taste
yeah I have to echo oval's sentiments I think the no non video game character rule exists for a reason and nothing I can think of off the top of my head would be worth opening that pandora's box. I hope if it ever goes down that its in the dlc so I can pretend it doesn't exist otherwise I might just skip out on it all together.
Not suggesting it should ever go down, I just thought it'd be fun to see what people's preferences would be if all limits were removed

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’d like to hang out in the Steve thread, but it’s mostly silent. Even when a discussion starts, it doesn’t last very long. Most Steve supporters are on YouTube and Twitter, so...

Heh, the other characters I want have mostly silent threads nowadays, too. I’m not even sure what to talk about outside of ideas for Steve.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Doom Guy and Crash, then Sgt. Cortez

Yes please! I would love to hear Richard Epcar voice Bobobo again.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion

I’d say Sam & Max are still best known as video game characters and count in that category.

Part of me wants to say Popeye for Nintendo importance. Part wants to go with Brock Samson because it would be hilarious. But I think I’m just going to say Mike Tyson. Gets me a second punch out rep, and as long as he stays out of prison, this one won’t become Mr. Dream.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
If Geno got in, I would be estatic that for the first time since King K. Rool, a character I personally wanted in got in.

I would still root for Steve, Waluigi, and Isaac for the rest of the DLC, though

Last edited:

P47

Smash Apprentice
Bandana Dee, Ashley, and Skull Kid. If by some miracle they all got in I'd probably stop speculating for good (though of course there are other characters I'd love to see get in like a RH char, an AW char, and other Kirby characters like Taranza, Adeleine, and Magolor)

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
After Geno gets in?....

"Then I rest...and watch the sun rise on a grateful universe..."

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Isaac for sure. If I can get Geno and Isaac I’ll be forever set with Smash speculation and be fine with whoever. Got Banjo already after seemingly being impossible. So I’m really hopeful it’ll finally happen. I do feel Geno has a much better shot than Isaac, but I’ll never give up hope that they both can make it.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I feel that letting the Disney crew come with Sora would be a slippery slope that could lead to them being playable down the line, and I'm not a fan of that. If Sora comes, (I have no feelings about him one way or the other, I'd be fine with his inclusion) I hope his support comes in the form of the other characters originally designed for the game, like Riku or Kairi and not from characters originating in Disney films.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'm not in all honesty. They got the rights for Banjo, his music, his stage and the cameos and the Spirits. All that in itself probably cost a decent chunk of change considering, as far as I know, you have to other purchase rights to characters individually or just blanket cover which could get very pricy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So guys, I think I want to speculate something. This had a bit more weight before I confirmed with Sabi that Terry in no way hints at character #5 and everyone is in the dark, but here me out.

Sakurai kept mentioning souls and 'Poor soul' in the B&K breakdown. Like, four or five times pretty much back to back he said that. So many people (that I'll jokingly call normies here) immediately thought Dark Souls. My first thought? Someone else mentioned it here, but Soul Calibur.

Soul Calibur is all about poor lost souls forever clashing over Soul Edge and Soul Calibur. There are evil character who are collecting souls to get stronger, one of the mechanics is called Soul Charge, hell the legendary weapons everyone fights over have Soul in their name...HELL THE GAME HAS IT IN IT'S NAME! Even the announcer keeps talking about souls. If what Sakurai said was a hint, to me it's clearly Soul Calibur.

You remember that Japanese leak that maybe be fake now? Talking about a female character with a flying weapon? The more I thought about it, Nakoruru didn't make the cut to that: sure, her falcon can fly and she attacks with it, but it's not a weapon in the traditional sense. You know who this does work with though?

Ivy Valentine!

Her snake sword has a bunch of different stances and uses and when she whips it around in that air it is very much a lightweight kind floaty weapon. In some of the ways she uses it it actually comes apart and the pieces fly around so I think she's a good fit for both these pieces of speculation. I felt more confident when I thought Terry hinted at the next character because Terry is a fighting game character with a legacy and history, so my thoughts were that either Heihachi or a Kazama could show up or Nightmare/Siegfried but Ivy fits more than one bill here as she would fall under the two above AND the idea that Terry's inclusion could hint towards the next character...even though that's not true now.

Also, she's very much the 'Chun-Li' of Soul Calibur, if such a thing can be said since Soul Calibur is ridden with dozens of fan favorite characters. However, I would say that she is second in popularity only to Siegfried/Nightmare who, even separated, are essentially the same character. She's also female, which would satisfy the weird representation lust some of this fandom has for whatever reason. On top of that, people are wondering why Namco doesn't have a rep aside from Pac-Man. Well, other than Pac-Man being the absolute perfect rep for Namco in every possible way I can think of, maybe they are getting a new rep and we just don't know it yet!

That is all I got for now. Time to get ready for work...:/
Everyone: "Hmm, I dunno, Ivy seems a bit to [enter deconfirming reason here] to be added to Smash."
Sakurai: "Yare yare." presses glasses

Now that you mention it, Ivy would be THE repeat to Bayonetta being the last reveal in Sm4sh. I can see it now; everyone incredulous to the sight while Sakurai be like, "oh, you all thought I wouldn't DARE?":troll: I'd be down for Ivy being in Ultimate (although I feel like Siegfried/Nightmare from SC 2 would fit more as the series rep but... in a way so is Ivy).

EDIT: Oh and, Geno's in boys (gut feeling btw). :shades:

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Going into Ultimate, my three “never-ever” wants in order were Joker, Master Chief, and Geno. Joker’s miraculously in, and Geno’s getting pretty likely, so all I’ll have left is Chief. I still have some slight hope for him(especially since we’ve heard nothing about the MCC Switch port that has been rumored by some incredibly credible sources) though Doomguy getting in might certainly lower his chances.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
They could easily bypass the Donald and Goofy addition and use Riku and Kairi for a group Final Smash for Sora. Or just have him dual wield keyblades and spam attack a la Cloud for a FS.

Or throw the KH plot at opponents and make their heads explode.

D

Deleted member

They could easily bypass the Donald and Goofy addition and use Riku and Kairi for a group Final Smash for Sora. Or just have him dual wield keyblades and spam attack a la Cloud for a FS.

Or throw the KH plot at opponents and make their heads explode.
Or just make him a mii costume that comes with Geno :^)

man, imagine the salt.

Tonberry2k

Smash Cadet
This is going to be unpopular, but I still don't think Geno is going to make the cut. However, I think the Mii costume is coming back.

I'm sure this has been said, but about 9 months ago, Nintendo took down a fan remix of Megalovania. Now Sans is a costume with the song as a bonus. Two months ago, they took down two Mario RPG songs. This makes me think Geno and another costume (Mallow swordfighter with Froggie Stick?) are coming with those tracks attached. I'd love to be wrong, but I'd rather brace for disappointment.

D

Deleted member

This is going to be unpopular, but I still don't think Geno is going to make the cut. However, I think the Mii costume is coming back.

I'm sure this has been said, but about 9 months ago, Nintendo took down a fan remix of Megalovania. Now Sans is a costume with the song as a bonus. Two months ago, they took down two Mario RPG songs. This makes me think Geno and another costume (Mallow swordfighter with Froggie Stick?) are coming with those tracks attached. I'd love to be wrong, but I'd rather brace for disappointment.
Reminder that the songs getting taken down have nothing to do with Smash. The Mario RPG songs were from a channel that Nintendo were trying to take down, and I'm pretty sure Megalovania had "Smash Remix" in the title. The song removals have nothing to do with Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

owjies

Smash Journeyman

No worries. I’m really hoping Geno finally makes it in, but I’m also bracing for that scenario as well. Keep in mind, though, that Megalovania was included as a remixed track by Toby Fox. If the SMRPG music takedowns are relevant, it could also be because those are the two tracks receiving remixes in a Geno fighter pack.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman

I was thinking about Sam & Max the other day - they'd be such a rad addition, to be sure.

I think if I had to consider someone that would break the aforementioned rule, who wasn't a shounen character... I actually would love to see how a character like Wreck-It Ralph could work in a game like Smash. (He's technically "video games", and has appeared in a racing game alongside Sonic & Co., but, ultimately he's still just a Disney movie character..)

Big ol' honkin' ham fists slamming down and driving enemies into the dirt, a Final Smash where he just wrecks an entire building and hurls rubble and debris down upon unsuspecting foes caught in the blast, etc... Just seems like it'd be a fun tribute to a tribute of video gaming media. :ultduckhunt:

D

Deleted member

Reminder that the songs getting taken down have nothing to do with Smash. The Mario RPG songs were from a channel that Nintendo were trying to take down, and I'm pretty sure Megalovania had "Smash Remix" in the title. The song removals have nothing to do with Smash.
"Nintendo took down a fanmade version of a song that they literally don't own because it had Smash Remix in the title"
"this has nothing to do with Smash"

There's something flawed about the logic here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom