• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Dang I wish I saw your post before making mine because you sum it up much better than I do, since I went into a small rant, rather incoherent, rant as to why it doesn't make sense for her to get in over Byleth.
The only way I can really see any of the three lords being playable is if they were included at the same time, making Byleth an Ice Climber and pokemon trainer hybrid... which actually would be interesting in theory to be honest

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
My bold prediction of the day, partially inspired by the bull**** Twitter poll, is that we're going to see Geno AND Sora as the two big fan requests that happen in this upcoming DLC. They just both make a ton of sense and are heavily fan requested characters that both seemingly face impossible odds as character requests and do field quite a bit of hate and skepticism from certain crowds. Geno I think happens because Sakurai is looking to realize his ambition and fans desire for the character, and I think Sora similarly happens, but also to be another one of those "bring the house down" type moments he's had with someone like Cloud in the past. Maybe that's "too many Square Enix JRPG characters" or whatever, but who cares, we're being optimistic and shooting for the stars, and this honestly doesn't seem that unrealistic anymore and hell, if we get a reveal at TGAs, I'm actually inclined to say Sora will turn up there and it's possible Geno could be the first post Fighter's Pass character...

What a world that would be, everybody happy with the Square Enix representation in Smash and two massive titans of speculation finally brought into Smash.
Well it does seem that this first pass is made out of characters that Sakurai personally wanted to make from series he loves, and we do know he is a big Kingdom Hearts fan. Hmmmmmm......

He has been, although not in these circles in particular. In Japan he has been pretty consistently showing up.
Even fan polls here, if you dig enough you'll find him as the second or third highest requested character in the west after Sora and Geno.
I do look at a lot of fan polls often and I don't see Sephiroth ranking as highly or consistently as characters like Waluigi, Isaac, Geno, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Rex & Pyra, Shantae, Sora, or Shadow, all of which are some of the most requested characters for Smash. It just feels kind of like you are cherry picking the polls you are referring too, especially since I am having to dig deep for the polls you are referring to which suggests they didn't have that many people voting in them. This isn't a knock against Sephiroth and I don't mean for this to sound aggressive or hostile (That is the last thing I want), I just don't see how Sephiroth is as popular as the above mentioned character. The only time I started seeing Sephiroth in polls was when the "7 Square Characters List" happened and Sephiroth was on it, but I haven't seen him in polls that much ever since more evidence came out that the character would be Hero and ever since Hero was revealed I haven't seen him ranking highly in polls at all while Geno and Sora still are (So it wasn't because of fan discouragement of "no second Square DLC character"). I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, I just wanted to explain why I think he isn't a high request.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My bold prediction of the day, partially inspired by the bull**** Twitter poll, is that we're going to see Geno AND Sora as the two big fan requests that happen in this upcoming DLC. They just both make a ton of sense and are heavily fan requested characters that both seemingly face impossible odds as character requests and do field quite a bit of hate and skepticism from certain crowds. Geno I think happens because Sakurai is looking to realize his ambition and fans desire for the character, and I think Sora similarly happens, but also to be another one of those "bring the house down" type moments he's had with someone like Cloud in the past. Maybe that's "too many Square Enix JRPG characters" or whatever, but who cares, we're being optimistic and shooting for the stars, and this honestly doesn't seem that unrealistic anymore and hell, if we get a reveal at TGAs, I'm actually inclined to say Sora will turn up there and it's possible Geno could be the first post Fighter's Pass character...

What a world that would be, everybody happy with the Square Enix representation in Smash and two massive titans of speculation finally brought into Smash.
That would be one hell of reveal I tell you what.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Wait, have we've at all figured out why Sabi said Smash speculation would go crazy and stuff once Terry was revealed, and how his reveal trailer was a hint towards the next fighter?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Wait, have we've at all figured out why Sabi said Smash speculation would go crazy and stuff once Terry was revealed, and how his reveal trailer was a hint towards the next fighter?
I don’t know, but I did notice when Sakurai was talking about the cameos in Spiral Mountain he kept referring to all the Banjo characters as “Sad souls” or something to that nature.

Papagenos also mentioned this in his latest video and thought maybe it had to do with Dark Souls possibly. Sakurai does love to leave hints about things.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Edelgard is an infinitely more interesting character than Byleth and if you think she would get passed over because she's not your typical boring "good guy" you're just wrong. Give me the axe wielding interesting character over the nearly mute Byleth.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Clearly the 'go crazy' part is that we are no longer limited to one last character. Nearly any character now has a chance versus only a single one that will be third party

Other than that I have no idea.
i can understand why she became...controversial
I'm completely lost here. Last I knew, Byleth was semi-controversial because of Kirbopher and his drama.

What's up with Edelgard?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Maybe Sabi was hinting at the more DLC fighters announcement I don't know. Should go back and rewatch it just to make sure if there was a hint.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Clearly the 'go crazy' part is that we are no longer limited to one last character. Nearly any character now has a chance versus only a single one that will be third party

Other than that I have no idea.

I'm completely lost here. Last I knew, Byleth was semi-controversial because of Kirbopher and his drama.

What's up with Edelgard?
Something about "The ends justify the means" from what I've been able to gather. Haven't played the game tho

StarLight42

Smash Lord
It was in reference to a leak that said Terry and Ryu Hayabusa were the final fighters.

However, said leak also said that Terry’s trailer would be a sequel to the Incineroar one, which ended up not true. So it’s fake.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It was in reference to a leak that said Terry and Ryu Hayabusa were the final fighters.

However, said leak also said that Terry’s trailer would be a sequel to the Incineroar one, which ended up not true. So it’s fake.
Wait, Sabi never said the last character in the Season Pass is Hayabusa. People were just assuming that because Terry was in a couple of leaks with him. Sabi and the insider already knows who character #5 is but won't share it publicly at the moment who it is.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Wait, Sabi never said the last character in the Season Pass is Hayabusa. People were just assuming that because Terry was in a couple of leaks with him. Sabi and the insider already knows who character #5 is but won't share it publicly at the moment who it is.
That's the point. Sabi didn't say Hayabusa was the last character, but pointed to the 4chan leak with Terry and Hayabusa as the last two characters as the reason speculation would assume he was. Also, that last part's misinformation, as far as I'm aware. Last I checked, Sabi was saying she doesn't know anything about Fighter #5.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The trailer landed on the Super Nintendo before going to Terry's console. Yeah I'm thinking Geno is in.
Screenshot_20190908-232954.png

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's the point. Sabi didn't say Hayabusa was the last character, but pointed to the 4chan leak with Terry and Hayabusa as the last two characters as the reason speculation would assume he was. Also, that last part's misinformation, as far as I'm aware. Last I checked, Sabi was saying she doesn't know anything about Fighter #5.
Well I thought I heard her say she knew who fighter #5 was when she revealed she knew who the SNK rep was but couldn't tell because of Nintendo's lawyers.

The trailer landed on the Super Nintendo before going to Terry's console. Yeah I'm thinking Geno is in.
View attachment 237557
All the consoles on that list besides Neo Geo are Nintendo consoles and the SNES was the Nintendo console that came out during the time Neo Geo came out. So I say that being a hint towards Geno would be kind of far fetched.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
All the consoles on that list besides Neo Geo are Nintendo consoles and the SNES was the Nintendo console that came out during the time Neo Geo came out. So I say that being a hint towards Geno would be kind of far fetched.
That's the joke yes. :V

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Papagenos also mentioned this in his latest video and thought maybe it had to do with Dark Souls possibly. Sakurai does love to leave hints about things.
I would say that it would more than likely be Soul Calibur if anything
Also... speaking of "hints"... why the heck did he talk about upgraded graphics all the time? Is Banjo getting a remaster of the games or is he trying to push for it?
And last... let¨s post a meme while I¨m at it

Attachments

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Also... speaking of "hints"... why the heck did he talk about upgraded graphics all the time? Is Banjo getting a remaster of the games or is he trying to push for it?
If Soul Calibur... PLEASE TO GOD LET IT BE YOSHIMITSU!!! Lol!

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
That's the joke yes. :V
I did say though that if they wanted to start Geno's trailer, they could easily do it like Terry's but make it stop on the SNES instead.

Also, Nightmare would be a great Soul Caliber rep. Need more villains

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
i didn't knew terry was a dad

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I did say though that if they wanted to start Geno's trailer, they could easily do it like Terry's but make it stop on the SNES instead.

Also, Nightmare would be a great Soul Caliber rep. Need more villains
I would gladly take Nightmare along with a Siegfried Echo if I can't get Yoshimitsu.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sora doesn't have impossible odds at all. Almost every party involved expressed approval for the inclusion. All it takes is Sakurai wanting to do it, and Nomura giving the ok over something else.
And don't forget that he is not a SE character. Having Geno/Seph + Sora is actually a lot more viable than people are giving credit for.
No, Sora doesn't have impossible odds. But he's perceived as such by a number of people and many people can't get past the sticking point of Disney, so he receives a lot of unnecessary hate, especially for being a big request that isn't X, Y, or Z Nintendo character... much like our own Puppet. I think there's an additional sort of kindred friendship to be had between the two in the grand scheme of post Fighter's Pass speculation.

And I'm aware he isn't specifically a Square-Enix character in legality, but he'll get treated as such and people would shoot him down alongside any other potential Square Enix characters "since there can only be one or whatever in one wave of DLC." I'm agreeing it's a possibility, and a decently feasible one, to see them both get in and that's why I made the post. It'd be massively insane to see both of these huge characters that have remained big parts of speculation get in and the best part is, they'd be serving two entirely different rolls of fan fulfillment.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If we are talking about the Sad Souls being an hint. in that case it could have been an hint towards Sans Mii Costume.

Personally though, it could also be hinting at Reimu though. Apparently Souls are a an important Part of the Touhou lore, and it goes hand in hand with the Terry Trailer Theory that it was hinting at a Character that comes from 1981-1985, since it stopped between Game & Watch and NES, and i think Touhou first game was on game system that existed in that time

I See we are Talking about Sora. The only problem i see with Sora is Not Sora himself, but if Sakurai or Nomura think that Sora should be Accompanied by Donald, Goofy, or any Disney related stuff in Smash. It Might be an hassle to get Disney Releated stuff like that, and it could be holding Sora back

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So that whole part of the leak is still inconclusive then? I thought the guy who leaked it was being hunted down by Nintendo goons or something. Isn't this the same guy that leaked Hero?
Can you link where your getting this information from? This doesn't sound right at all.

dalolman

Smash Cadet
Can you link where your getting this information from? This doesn't sound right at all.
I'll have to ask for sure, some info I misremembered was that this guy leaked the E3 presenations of Nintendo and Microsoft, and Nintendo wanted to shut this guy down. I'll have to find the source.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If we are talking about the Sad Souls being an hint. in that case it could have been an hint towards Sans Mii Costume.

Personally though, it could also be hinting at Reimu though. Apparently Souls are a an important Part of the Touhou lore, and it goes hand in hand with the Terry Trailer Theory that it was hinting at a Character that comes from 1981-1985, since it stopped between Game & Watch and NES, and i think Touhou first game was on game system that existed in that time

I See we are Talking about Sora. The only problem i see with Sora is Not Sora himself, but if Sakurai or Nomura think that Sora should be Accompanied by Donald, Goofy, or any Disney related stuff in Smash. It Might be an hassle to get Disney Releated stuff like that, and it could be holding Sora back
There are plenty of options that people have proposed numerous times to include Sora without having to deal with Disney related stuff. There are plenty of solutions to that problem if it comes up, and one of them might just legitimately putting Disney related content in Smash depending how crazy Sakurai gets with it.

Also, Touhou is definitely going to be my wild card pick of future DLC. It's such a weirdly Japanese specific thing that could absolutely blindside people in its inclusion and seems to be more popular over there than people in the States generally know.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Say, have they decided which fighters will become DLC yet?
Chances are yes. If they wanna keep up with the flow of releases then they likely already picked some and are working on them as we speak.

Sora doesn't have impossible odds at all. Almost every party involved expressed approval for the inclusion. All it takes is Sakurai wanting to do it, and Nomura giving the ok over something else.
And don't forget that he is not a SE character. Having Geno/Seph + Sora is actually a lot more viable than people are giving credit for.
While I don't think Sora is impossible, I personally feel like a lot of people are overestimating his chances a bit. The recent fall out between Sony and Disney regarding the Spider-Man rights doesn't help Sora's case in my eyes. That whole scummy 50/50 deal Disney wanted really put Sony off and it makes me wonder a few things regarding Sora negotiations:

1. Would it make Nintendo hesitant about working with Disney with Smash specifically? I know this might sound silly at first since Nintendo is such a huge company and they should be able to make Disney listen, and in fact they have worked with Disney before on a handful of things, but I think it's a thought worth considering. Disney proposing a deal that blatantly screwed Sony over might potentially put off some higher ups from Nintendo from working with them. Especially since there are still plenty of first and third party characters to pull from that would still get a ton of attention and would have a bonus in not dealing with one of the biggest Monopoly's on the planet

2. If Nintendo was willing to contact Disney regarding Sora, how smoothly would negotiations go? There are 3 main parties involved with Sora in Smash. Nintendo, Disney, and Square. I know technically, Nintendo and Disney can leave Square out of negotiations because the rights to Sora are with Disney, but business relations wise, it wouldn't be wise. Kingdom Hearts is still a product of Square. It would honestly be kinda insulting to not let them in on negotiations because Square does do a lot of the work on these games. Leaving them out, especially with a concept as big as this, might ultimately hurt relations between companies so they would have to be in included. With that in mind we will have the most stingy 3rd party in Smash so far, and a monopoly that just came off of losing a major character theirs because of a one sided deal that THEY proposed together with another company trying to figure out how the profits and other business stuff would go for Sora in Smash. Sounds like a nightmare to be honest

I know Disney themselves have stated that they would be willing to let Sora in, but I'm sure it would have to be under conditions they like. Especially since, it's Disney.

To sum it all up, to me, I don't think Sora is as likely as some people say. There's way to many hoops to jump through that it honestly might not be worth the trouble especially since there's still a lot of other great characters not yet fighters. However this is Sakurai we're talking about. If there is one person that can pull off a difficult feat like this, it'd be him

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'll have to ask for sure, some info I misremembered was that this guy leaked the E3 presenations of Nintendo and Microsoft, and Nintendo wanted to shut this guy down. I'll have to find the source.
lol I think you're talking about Sabi/PolarPanda. She is a leaker and did leak the Microsoft presentation among others. She had heard rumors about the 4th character being Terry which was true and had heard speculation of Ryu being 5. She had said that if the Terry trailer woud up being what was described on a 4chan post it would point to Ryu as character 5. But that post ended up being fake so 5 is still up in the air. Some people still think Ryu has a strong chance because of rumors still going on around insiders but there's no legit leak like the SNK listing for Terry.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Chances are yes. If they wanna keep up with the flow of releases then they likely already picked some and are working on them as we speak.

While I don't think Sora is impossible, I personally feel like a lot of people are overestimating his chances a bit. The recent fall out between Sony and Disney regarding the Spider-Man rights doesn't help Sora's case in my eyes. That whole scummy 50/50 deal Disney wanted really put Sony off and it makes me wonder a few things regarding Sora negotiations:

1. Would it make Nintendo hesitant about working with Disney with Smash specifically? I know this might sound silly at first since Nintendo is such a huge company and they should be able to make Disney listen, and in fact they have worked with Disney before on a handful of things, but I think it's a thought worth considering. Disney proposing a deal that blatantly screwed Sony over might potentially put off some higher ups from Nintendo from working with them. Especially since there are still plenty of first and third party characters to pull from that would still get a ton of attention and would have a bonus in not dealing with one of the biggest Monopoly's on the planet

2. If Nintendo was willing to contact Disney regarding Sora, how smoothly would negotiations go? There are 3 main parties involved with Sora in Smash. Nintendo, Disney, and Square. I know technically, Nintendo and Disney can leave Square out of negotiations because the rights to Sora are with Disney, but business relations wise, it wouldn't be wise. Kingdom Hearts is still a product of Square. It would honestly be kinda insulting to not let them in on negotiations because Square does do a lot of the work on these games. Leaving them out, especially with a concept as big as this, might ultimately hurt relations between companies so they would have to be in included. With that in mind we will have the most stingy 3rd party in Smash so far, and a monopoly that just came off of losing a major character theirs because of a one sided deal that THEY proposed together with another company trying to figure out how the profits and other business stuff would go for Sora in Smash. Sounds like a nightmare to be honest

I know Disney themselves have stated that they would be willing to let Sora in, but I'm sure it would have to be under conditions they like. Especially since, it's Disney.

To sum it all up, to me, I don't think Sora is as likely as some people say. There's way to many hoops to jump through that it honestly might not be worth the trouble especially since there's still a lot of other great characters not yet fighters. However this is Sakurai we're talking about. If there is one person that can pull off a difficult feat like this, it'd be him
How is Disney wanting a 50/50 deal scummy? Disney does all the work and Sony still gets half the money, sounds bad for Disney if anyone.

I don't think there are anymore legal hoops to jump through than any other character. If Nintendo can get Hero which required the negotiations with 4 (or 5) different companies then I think Sora is a much simpler project with only Disney really needing to be talked to (Sakurai would probably consult Nomura though to get Sora more accurately represented).

I've been curious about this for a while but does anyone actually have any evidence for the gaming department of Disney being hard to work with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom