• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If Fatman once stated that the starling was possibly bad news and is now on the stance of, "I don't know," then I think it's safe to say that it's just that: Occam's Razor. He just does not know. That is all.

Also, I sincerely doubt Geno is Challenger Pack 5. My eyes are pointing at additional DLC. The music stuff didn't happen that early, by the by. Those two lost tracks were way more recent. The Smash mix of BtfM was a bit earlier, though.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If Fatman once stated that the starling was possibly bad news and is now on the stance of, "I don't know," then I think it's safe to say that it's just that: Occam's Razor. He just does not know. That is all.

Also, I sincerely doubt Geno is Challenger Pack 5. My eyes are pointing at additional DLC. The music stuff didn't happen that early, by the by. Those two lost tracks were way more recent. The Smash mix of BtfM was a bit earlier, though.
Trust me, he's just as clueless about what Starling could mean. It's actually possible at this point we'll never actually find it out.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well the person who posted the Starling picture was a Nintendo representative and he could have told people to keep it a secret as his job could be on the line if it got out.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
The announcement of additional DLC has out some pep in our step, but what I've been thinking about is this: why were the tracks taken down so long ago if the discussion of the characters after the Fighters Pass would most likely be a more recent development?
Characters take a long time to make. I wouldn't be surprised if at least a first treatment of additional dlc, if not the decision of who to add after the pass, was done 9+ months ago.

They likely reviewed the copyrights on the music at the same time to see how much they could use. In that process their lawyers fired off the take downs.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

Lets also not forget the geno fan remix that got taken down around the same time the sans one did.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I still really don't think the music takedowns are a smoking gun when there's so many differences between them and the takedowns of the other content. I feel like they're getting a bit too much momentum and people are spreading some degrees of misinformation about them, which is a bit concerning (not necessarily here, but around in general). There's a lot of unanswered questions with regards to BrawlSTRm3's channel and what Nintendo was doing there that makes me still incredibly skeptical of this being a direct hint of Smash Bros. content. Yes, the timing might have been right, but I just can't shake the idea that copyright claims are not a good way of judging things that are happening for the future. Regardless of the music, Geno has a great chance of course, but people have been going all in on "music takedown" theory it seems...

Plus, I'm really leaning towards this means we don't get a stage because I genuinely think Super Mario RPG would otherwise end up with more music than just two songs (and the two songs from each Square Enix game thing has also become seemingly a much bigger narrative than it should be). We saw Corrin just come with two, so I think non-stage including newcomers will likely follow suit (especially in the wake of the Sans Mii costume getting "Megalovania" included).

I'm also admit, I think we're all going to be nervous as hell at every subsequent Mii costume reveal. Sans fundamentally broke everything expectation wise for them, so there doesn't have to be any connection to the character being included and the Mega Man costumes proved that old costumes can come back. I'm really hopeful for Geno, but along with the renewed hope and optimism comes increased opportunity to worry about him haha.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I mean I don't really feel like digging through the thread for specific posts but that was definetely the implication when he brought up his thinking that the Starling had to do with Resident Evil. There were other things as well.
While I have been guilty about this myself, not doing so to defend your statement makes it look weak. Considering you can just search for any post fatman has mentioned both Starling and Geno and just do a bit of legwork to find that one, you probably should. Why do I say that?

Because I very much remember fatman saying he PERSONALLY FELT like it had nothing to do with Geno and that was based on whether other images or not tied to it, which he didn't know. When I conferred with Sabi about this, she suggested that she felt the newer images had nothing to do with the Starling image.

So there you go: not only do you have the burden of proof on your end from the start, but now you have conflicting information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I want to start a discussion, and the idea came from my heart-felt post when I talked about how much SMRPG and Smash meant to me, among gaming in general.

For those of you who grew up with OG Smash 64, what was the go-to stage you and your friends always went to? Which one was played the least?

In my friend group, Sector Z reigned supreme, no contest. I didn't even grow up with Star Fox in my life but it was the stage that got the most love in our play group. Least played was Peach's Castle as I remember it getting picked the least. Probably had something to do with the moving platform on the bottom and the bumper at the time being unfun or something. Runner-Up for most played was Hyrule Castle and Runner-Up for least was Mushroom Kingdom...boy, my player group wasn't big on Mario stages, were they?

If you weren't old enough to grow up with Smash 64, hit me with your most played and least played from the version of Smash you did grow up with!

TBone06

Smash Ace
While I have been guilty about this myself, not doing so to defend your statement makes it look weak. Considering you can just search for any post fatman has mentioned both Starling and Geno and just do a bit of legwork to find that one, you probably should. Why do I say that?

Because I very much remember fatman saying he PERSONALLY FELT like it had nothing to do with Geno and that was based on whether other images or not tied to it, which he didn't know. When I conferred with Sabi about this, she suggested that she felt the newer images had nothing to do with the Starling image.

So there you go: not only do you have the burden of proof on your end from the start, but now you have conflicting information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I want to start a discussion, and the idea came from my heart-felt post when I talked about how much SMRPG and Smash meant to me, among gaming in general.

For those of you who grew up with OG Smash 64, what was the go-to stage you and your friends always went to? Which one was played the least?

In my friend group, Sector Z reigned supreme, no contest. I didn't even grow up with Star Fox in my life but it was the stage that got the most love in our play group. Least played was Peach's Castle as I remember it getting picked the least. Probably had something to do with the moving platform on the bottom and the bumper at the time being unfun or something. Runner-Up for most played was Hyrule Castle and Runner-Up for least was Mushroom Kingdom...boy, my player group wasn't big on Mario stages, were they?

If you weren't old enough to grow up with Smash 64, hit me with your most played and least played from the version of Smash you did grow up with!
Sector Z and Dream Land were always the go to. My friend group NEVER played any other stage. We also liked the simplicity.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Sector Z was my go to place.

Largest stage to goof around and for most multiplayer matches for both serious and funsies.

It's great.

Runners up are Hyrule Castle, Kongo Jungle, and Saffron City.

To be honest, all of the stages are fun to play with the right circumstances and gameplay experience but for the most the ones I mentioned are some that i would revisit more often than not.

----------------------------------------------------------

Also, to mention about Geno's chances. There's a possibility that he MAY be 5th on the pass but I doubt it. I would love for it to be the case though. With the extra Characters as DLC he is more likely, IMO.

Hopefully there is a real possibility with that.

:bowser::starman:.

LDGno97

Smash Cadet
Would you guys rather have a SMRPG HD remake or a SMRPG sequel?
First of all, hello to everyone, I'm new to the board. My native language is Spanish (I'm from Argentina, so excuse me if I can't express myself perfectly). I'd like to join to this funny, crazy, speculation train, I played SMRPG as a kid and I loved Geno.

Actually I would like a remaster first, just to revisit the classic story with a new style
Then, if SE has the money, and the ideas, they could come up with a sequel to SMRPG, but without calling it "SMRPG 2", that's Paper Mario's beta name.
I would prefer some sub-title like: "Super Mario RPG: The Factory Reborn" or something. But I woudn't mind if it exists Super Mario RPG 2

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Although there's the two SMRPG tracks that were taken down a while ago, I thought that perhaps one track they could use in Geno's character reveal (perhaps during the gameplay sequence) could be this one. The throwback to the original game would be so rewarding.

Also, here's the daily dose of "He's in guys". :shades: The stars have aligned. It's only a matter of time.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My favorite stage will always be Magicant. Because I suggested that should be a stage back in the Brawl days and EVERYONE said that it'd never happen because Mother 1 is irrelevant.

Whelp. It DID.

And now I can play Porky's theme on it in Ultimate

Followed by Saffron City

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Can someone confirm if this is real (find it on twitter)
Not sure, really. It'd be a matter of how they got those metrics and sourcing them. That's really interesting, though. Japan is scrambling for Lloyd Irving... and even more than SORA? That's nuts. Honestly, I'm surprised by the lack of Geno on Japan's side, too. I lurk Eastern communities a lot, and lots of people in the East seem to be hoping for Geno.

Whatever the case, that's also just accounting for the vocal fans, too. There are a lot of silent fans who don't use Twitter, too... but this is a pretty large sample size if they're using legitimate metrics.

https://twitter.com/PhantomArtifice/status/1170842576125140992

Found the original Tweet. It's according to responses to official Nintendo posts, apparently, not Twitter in general.

Wait, why is a Gundam in the top 10 in Japan?! What??

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Not sure, really. It'd be a matter of how they got those metrics and sourcing them. That's really interesting, though. Japan is scrambling for Lloyd Irving... and even more than SORA? That's nuts. Honestly, I'm surprised by the lack of Geno on Japan's side, too. I lurk Eastern communities a lot, and lots of people in the East seem to be hoping for Geno.

Whatever the case, that's also just accounting for the vocal fans, too. There are a lot of silent fans who don't use Twitter, too... but this is a pretty large sample size if they're using legitimate metrics.

Found the original Tweet. It's according to responses to official Nintendo posts, apparently, not Twitter in general.

My guess is it's Japan's version of Goku and Shrek like Western audiences do

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Gundam is enormous in Japan, so I¨m not so surprised. Also, I find it hilarious that Loyd (according to this pull is more demanded then Sora) but more importantly, Byleth over the likes of Sepiroth

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Gundam is enormous in Japan, so I¨m not so surprised. Also, I find it hilarious that Loyd (according to this pull is more demanded then Sora) but more importantly, Byleth over the likes of Sepiroth
sora is still number 1 in the usa and europe polls though i admit this is somewhat funny

Byleth over Sephiroth, H'oh boy, FF fans won't be happy about this

Ovaltine

Smash Master
sora is still number 1 in the usa and europe polls though i admit this is somewhat funny

Byleth over Sephiroth, H'oh boy, FF fans won't be happy about this
I'm not even a FF fan and I'm kinda incredulous. How on Earth did that happen? Unless it was like, anti-Byleth spam, but I doubt it...

In fact, thinking about it, that makes these metrics pretty inaccurate if they were bot-generated. Some of these might be from people NOT wanting the character.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The results are a little weird, sometimes a poll from Japan has Steve high up there.

But hey, results always vary. Sometimes Bandana Dee is #1 or the top 10.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's not so much a poll as "who can spam Nintendo their character the most on twitter" results

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Europe has some tastes I see. Doomguy, Geno, and Heavy all next to each other. Europe you have my support.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was talking with someone that wanted a Shantae costume in smash

And I created this image to show the horrors that would release upon the internet

OhtheHorror.png

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
didn't super mario rpg not even come out in europe originally? and Geno is #6 there? lol
It was first released here in Europe (I live in Sweden) through shadow dropping on the Wiis Virtual Console. The only reason I found out the game was through randomness while I was gonna download Mario PArty 2

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I might not be a certain dashing spiky haired lawyer but
It's not KoF related. We now know what it's for but we can't say until the appropriate time. We've been given strict orders not to say its real meaning and I promise I'll say something if and when I'm given the okay to.
He told us. Something you all have to understand was that I was never supposed to make it public in the first place so there's a distinct possibility that I won't even be allowed to say what it actually meant. I'm sorry. This kind of all unfolded because of me but we made a promise so people will have to wait things out.
Trust me, he's just as clueless about what Starling could mean. It's actually possible at this point we'll never actually find it out.
this ain't it chief

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
...what? Didn't fatman say they knew what it was but just wern't allowed to talk about it? I can cite the post if needed.
which is was exactly why I made that post
Honestly, we don't know the intricacies of the starling. Trust me when I say that things could have changed. The game of telephone with insiders is nuts, and with the starling in specific, it's such an outlier situation.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've moved on from the whole starling thing when the takedowns of two Mario RPG tracks and the announcement of more DLC has me more confident in Geno's chances. Frankly, we should focus on that

TBone06

Smash Ace
I've moved on from the whole starling thing when the takedowns of two Mario RPG tracks and the announcement of more DLC has me more confident in Geno's chances. Frankly, we should focus on that
I second this,

The starling was a huge stretch in my opinion anyways. If it turns out otherwise great, but there are so many other more credible things to set our sights on. More DLC being one of them for sure.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Honestly, we don't know the intricacies of the starling. Trust me when I say that things could have changed. The game of telephone with insiders is nuts, and with the starling in specific, it's such an outlier situation.
I don't see what's so intricate about we were all told vs we were not told. Unless your implying the ambassador jumped the gun before he knew for certain which makes very little sense given how he operates and everything else up to this point.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see what's so intricate about we were all told vs we were not told. Unless your implying the ambassador jumped the gun before he knew for certain which makes very little sense given how he operates and everything else up to this point.
Well, you have to realize things are kept secret for reasons. I don't think it'd exactly be "jumping the gun" unless something was made public.

I don't want to defend Vergeben but his conversation where he said "There are no DK characters added to Smash" right before K Rool was released wasn't made public (By Him) because it was information he hadn't verified.

But I'm not sure what Fatman was talking about. You'd have to ask him

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
So I was on Sabi’s discord chat and I saw Sabi say Geno is more likely to be a costume than a character

I know that was probably speculation but my heart sunk a little

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom