• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I sincerely doubt anyone knows whether Geno is in or not, or even if the starling means anything anymore.

Seriously, with Geno having a lot going for him now, I wouldn't even recommend bothering with the starling 'leak' anymore. I truly think it means nothing, at least nothing related to our boy.
At this point I'm just invested in the leak because I'm so curious.

D

Deleted member

Do you guys think Fatmanonice Fatmanonice knows Geno is in at this point and is struggling having a hard time not trying to tell us?
In my professional opinion:

yes, he is the Grant Kirkhope of Geno, waiting for that glorious day in November that he can yell Geno's inclusion from the top of Star Hill

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
As someone who thinks a playable, full fledged indie character is never gonna happen, Quote is the only one I think deserves it. Cave Story is THE indie game, made by one dude and still somehow impossibly popular.
Seriously though, with the exception of a single PSP port, Cave Story has only ever been on PC and Nintendo consoles. That's a weird amount of loyalty for an indie dev, they usually release their games for every conceivable platform.

But yeah, I can't help but shake my head when people say Shovel Knight or Shantae are the big titans of the Indie genre. Not even Undertale has a pedigree as old as Cave Story.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Shovel Knight and that bug game look really interesting to me but I haven't played a lot of indie games

Just Fnaf, undertale, and cave story

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Shovel Knight and that bug game look really interesting to me but I haven't played a lot of indie games
Bug Fables being like a spiritual successor to the original Paper Mario games is enough for me to be interested, if that's what you're talking about. I'm definitely gonna grab it.

D

Deleted member

Just Fnaf, undertake, and cave story
Do you like Mega Man but wish it played a little more like DuckTales? You'll love Shovel Knight.

Do you like Metroid but wish that you had a sword instead of a gun and didn't understand what's going on? You'll love Hollow Knight.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Always interesting how the regulars of this thread discourage Starling talk.

Like, we don’t know what it is yet, and it’s pretty obviously not Pokemon or Fire Emblem. I’d say it’s still fair game to potentially linking to Geno, and some of the best evidence he has going for him if so. Lack of a Mii Costume is fickle, they could assblast us in the 4 or 5 DLC Mii Costume pack

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Like, we don’t know what it is yet, and it’s pretty obviously not Pokemon or Fire Emblem. I’d say it’s still fair game to potentially linking to Geno, and some of the best evidence he has going for him if so. Lack of a Mii Costume is fickle, they could assblast us in the 4 or 5 DLC Mii Costume pack
I'd hardly call it the best evidence when it's one picture with no resolution yet and a load of guesswork. However, the Mii costume being missing during Hero's and B-K's preview filming, also around the time more DLC was penned in, is extremely suspicious. I also don't see SE releasing a Mii costume in a pack that isn't of their own properties because of how restrictive and picky they are.

Before the approximate timing of new DLC being in development was figured out, I was concerned and hopeful with the lack of the Mii costume, but the timing of everything gives its absence much more weight than the starling ever could.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I'd hardly call it the best evidence when it's one picture with no resolution yet and a load of guesswork. However, the Mii costume being missing during Hero's and B-K's preview filming, also around the time more DLC was penned in, is extremely suspicious. I also don't see SE releasing a Mii costume in a pack that isn't of their own properties because of how restrictive and picky they are.

Before the approximate timing of new DLC being in development was figured out, I was concerned and hopeful with the lack of the Mii costume, but the timing of everything gives its absence much more weight than the starling ever could.
That’s what Isaac supporters said when they didnt show his AT in any directs previous to the final one.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic but this seems like a real possibility with how Sakurai handeled things last year

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That’s what Isaac supporters said when they didnt show his AT in any directs previous to the final one.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic but this seems like a real possibility with how Sakurai handeled things last year
I really don't think it's fair to call this the same kind of scenario, especially since Isaac is a first party and Geno is a third party, therefore requiring much more planning due to solidifying rights and usage.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Hey, Geno fans. This is my first time posting on Smashboards, and I've been following the speculation scene for quite a long time now. Despite that, this is my first post I've ever made on here because I want to tell you all something.

During Ultimate's early speculation days (before the Final November Direct) I used to absolutely hate the idea of Geno getting into the game. I would never go and attack others, belittle them, or be happy at their misery or anything (just a game after all)... but I legitimately thought Geno was a "waste of a slot" and didn't "deserve" to be in Smash. Essentially, I harbored a silent grudge against Geno's chances of getting into Smash.

But now, I'm rooting for him. And guess what, it has nothing to do with me liking Geno all too much (though I think he's cool design/character wise), nor does it have anything to do with me playing Super Mario RPG (I have it on the SNES Classic, and I intend to play it sometime soon). It is because I personally want the largest character support groups to be made happy now. Ultimate has made so many dreams come true: All Veterans returning, Ridley, Simon Belmont, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, etc. And I want the longest and biggest groups of waiting fans (hi Geno fans) to be pleased.

I turned around on the idea of Geno (and other fans of smaller characters) being made happy because I am honestly so content with the roster. I have characters I really wanted in the game now in Ultimate, and despite some characters who I still really want to see (Bandana Dee + another Sonic character) I accept that fans who have waited years upon years should be made happy if I am already content with the roster. At this point, I genuinely am just happy with any characters Sakurai adds because I just love how much content there is. I love the idea of more weird characters colliding in an experience unlike any other.

I don't say this turnaround to you all to seem like some self-aggrandizing, "big-brained" guy. I say this to you guys, because I genuinely think Geno has a shot. Objectively looking at all the info, and history, and yadda yadda ya... despite me having no attachment to Geno, I think he has a good chance. And I sincerely hope, to quote you guys, "the stars will align for you all."

(Though P.S., I hope that no matter what happens, Geno Mii Costume like Sans or just nothing Super Mario RPG related... I hope everyone can just be appreciative of all Sakurai has given to everyone, despite your specific character not getting in. I don't say this to look down on people or be condescending, I just want as little people as possible being ungrateful for Sakurai's work. I'll be lingering around here, as this is one of the few threads where I think their character has a good shot.)

Good luck to you all.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
During Ultimate's early speculation days (before the Final November Direct) I used to absolutely hate the idea of Geno getting into the game. I would never go and attack others, belittle them, or be happy at their misery or anything (just a game after all)...
See, I wish more people were like this. Having a negative opinion of a character is fine, but attacking people and being happy to see people miserable is never cool. You've got plenty of my respect, my guy, and thank you for the well-wishes! I really believe he has a shot now and I hope that he comes home!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey, Geno fans. This is my first time posting on Smashboards, and I've been following the speculation scene for quite a long time now. Despite that, this is my first post I've ever made on here because I want to tell you all something.

During Ultimate's early speculation days (before the Final November Direct) I used to absolutely hate the idea of Geno getting into the game. I would never go and attack others, belittle them, or be happy at their misery or anything (just a game after all)... but I legitimately thought Geno was a "waste of a slot" and didn't "deserve" to be in Smash. Essentially, I harbored a silent grudge against Geno's chances of getting into Smash.

But now, I'm rooting for him. And guess what, it has nothing to do with me liking Geno all too much (though I think he's cool design/character wise), nor does it have anything to do with me playing Super Mario RPG (I have it on the SNES Classic, and I intend to play it sometime soon). It is because I personally want the largest character support groups to be made happy now. Ultimate has made so many dreams come true: All Veterans returning, Ridley, Simon Belmont, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, etc. And I want the longest and biggest groups of waiting fans (hi Geno fans) to be pleased.

I turned around on the idea of Geno (and other fans of smaller characters) being made happy because I am honestly so content with the roster. I have characters I really wanted in the game now in Ultimate, and despite some characters who I still really want to see (Bandana Dee + another Sonic character) I accept that fans who have waited years upon years should be made happy if I am already content with the roster. At this point, I genuinely am just happy with any characters Sakurai adds because I just love how much content there is. I love the idea of more weird characters colliding in an experience unlike any other.

I don't say this turnaround to you all to seem like some self-aggrandizing, "big-brained" guy. I say this to you guys, because I genuinely think Geno has a shot. Objectively looking at all the info, and history, and yadda yadda ya... despite me having no attachment to Geno, I think he has a good chance. And I sincerely hope, to quote you guys, "the stars will align for you all."

(Though P.S., I hope that no matter what happens, Geno Mii Costume like Sans or just nothing Super Mario RPG related... I hope everyone can just be appreciative of all Sakurai has given to everyone, despite your specific character not getting in. I don't say this to look down on people or be condescending, I just want as little people as possible being ungrateful for Sakurai's work. I'll be lingering around here, as this is one of the few threads where I think their character has a good shot.)

Good luck to you all.
Welcome to Smashboards AdamBel731 AdamBel731 and thank you for rooting for our boi.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Geno is like the Cleveland browns. Everyone loves to rag on them because their misery is fun but you best believe if they ever get good start winning everyone will be on their side.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Like I said around the time that we first got the Starling hint, it's vague enough that it could be twisted to literally mean anything, if it even means anything at all to begin with. I managed to claim that it meant that Doomguy could be revealed in August at EVO.

T2by4

Smash Lord
So whats odd is that this supposed leaker says the starling isn't pokemon, not terry, not FE, what the hell is it? It could line up with Geno afterall, sometimes people know about characters inclusions months beforehand because they're still in development, which would also line up with the music theory where 2 themes related to geno were taken down by Nintendo similar to both banjo and sans music..

I find it extremely suspicious that the leaker is so willing to debunk FE, pokemon, AND terry and has said nothing about Geno. They could've easily said it wasn't Geno but has yet to do so. So what gives?

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Alrighty, sent my email to Operation Starfall. I was as passionate as I could be. I even sent pictures of my Geno Mii Fighter costume and the action figure that my friend at work is making for me. He is a sculptor and is amazing. Here’s a picture of the figure that I would like to share with you all. He’s been working on it since March.
(Edit)
The server is having problems uploading photos, I’ll try again later)

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So whats odd is that this supposed leaker says the starling isn't pokemon, not terry, not FE, what the hell is it? It could line up with Geno afterall, sometimes people know about characters inclusions months beforehand because they're still in development, which would also line up with the music theory where 2 themes related to geno were taken down by Nintendo similar to both banjo and sans music..

I find it extremely suspicious that the leaker is so willing to debunk FE, pokemon, AND terry and has said nothing about Geno. They could've easily said it wasn't Geno but has yet to do so. So what gives?
Maybe the leaker is a sadist and wants to see Geno's followers suffer if he ends up not playable in Ultimate.

Or he knows that he might be playable and wants to keep it a surprise.

It's one or the other.

(Or chances are, it's not even about Geno...)

:bomb:.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

Add this fuel to the Fatman knows but have a will as hard as Diamond theory,
I always thought that the first thing to think about on "Star-Ling" is Geno, but fatman already said he leaked it very early... He also said there were more pics related but he can't post'em here without permission..
Ngaaah I really think Geno is coming, I expect it to be the one after #5 or Fighter #77

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Seriously though, with the exception of a single PSP port, Cave Story has only ever been on PC and Nintendo consoles. That's a weird amount of loyalty for an indie dev, they usually release their games for every conceivable platform.

But yeah, I can't help but shake my head when people say Shovel Knight or Shantae are the big titans of the Indie genre. Not even Undertale has a pedigree as old as Cave Story.
But Shantae is older than Cave Story...

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, that's true. Iirc though, Shantae didn't start off as indie, I think Capcom may have had something to do with her, but i may be wrong.
Capcom did publish the GBC release of Shantae back in 2002, but after the game had been completed for ages and after the Game Boy Advance was out, which is largely considered why it performed so poorly at first. That said, Matt Bozon and his team made the entirety of Shantae and then took it around to publishers to try and get a deal, and Capcom was the one who bit. So it was still produced like any other Indie game, just in an era where you couldn't throw it online or on an E-shop (Since the game dates back to 1997 in terms of development). If anything, Shantae's rise from the ashes is a testament to Indie development over relying over a bigger publisher since it was an actual success and allowed them to kickstart the franchise as something once again.

Shantae's undeniably an Indie icon now, and she does has a specific pedigree with Nintendo dating before any others. She's as good of an Indie rep as any you could choose.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
As someone who thinks a playable, full fledged indie character is never gonna happen, Quote is the only one I think deserves it. Cave Story is THE indie game, made by one dude and still somehow impossibly popular.

...I'd take Hornet, though. Hollow Knight was really good. Like, maybe almost too good.
Actually, I'd argue Hollow Knight deserves it more. He's the best selling indie game on the Switch, the sequel is (apart from PC) Switch exclusive, and he'd be a really unique swordfighter. The game's aesthetic is very much in line with that of Nintendo games and its popularity increases tenfold with each passing year and it really was an instant classic. Hornet is an equally good choice.

I find the notion of indie reps to be quite amorphous. There are so many indie games out there that compete with triple A titles and I think it's unfair to aggregate games like Undertale, Hollow Knight, INSIDE, etc. since they're really nothing alike. Characters from such games should be treated with the same degree of respect as Banjo and Terry in my eyes.

That said, I do understand that they have less of a chance of getting into Smash, so it's quite honorary for an independent developer to see their character among the greats like Mario, Sonic, and Pikachu.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Do you guys think Fatmanonice Fatmanonice knows Geno is in at this point and is struggling having a hard time not trying to tell us?
I wish, but no.

First of all, Sabi said that she doesn’t know who #5 is not too long ago, and since he gets his information from her source, it’s doubtful he knows either.

Second of all, he said that he and the other members of Sabi’s Discord do know what the Starling means now, and since Sabi doesn’t know character #5, the Starling can’t hint at a Geno, or any other character, for that matter.

Unless they’re lying, (which is possible I suppose but unlikely), we’re all in the dark together.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I feel like you’re here regularly enough have to figured it out but at the same time I understand some people can’t read between the lines: It’s not Geno in Smash. Can Geno still get into Smash? Absolutely and I personally think he will! But the reason people have downplayed it is because the person who brought it to our attention has basically said the starling is not Geno related and implied for us to not hold onto it specifically as evidence of Geno in Smash.

People keep coming up with conspiracies about fatman secretly knowing Geno is coming but anyone whose been paying attention can tell you that the actual implication from fatman’s posts is pointing to Geno not coming in the FP. Hence the emphasis on highlighting to the possibility and now reality of bonus DLC. That is something he has implied he did hear about. But aside from there being bonus dlc no one who could give us information knows anything about it. If the Starling was known to be about Geno in Smash there would be way different discussions happening behind the scenes and what gets leaked out and insinuated to the rest of us would be much different. Now could it be something Geno related outside of Smash? Who knows? But fatman has basically said the picture leak was a big mistake on his part and isn’t happening again so I think it’s fair for people to not obsessively bring it up when it’s clear it’s not relating to the main subject of this thread which is Geno in Smash.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I feel like you’re here regularly enough have to figured it out but at the same time I understand some people can’t read between the lines: It’s not Geno in Smash. Can Geno still get into Smash? Absolutely and I personally think he will! But the reason people have downplayed it is because the person who brought it to our attention has basically said the starling is not Geno related and implied for us to not hold onto it specifically as evidence of Geno in Smash.

People keep coming up with conspiracies about fatman secretly knowing Geno is coming but anyone whose been paying attention can tell you that the actual implication from fatman’s posts is pointing to Geno not coming in the FP. Hence the emphasis on highlighting to the possibility and now reality of bonus DLC. That is something he has implied he did hear about. But aside from there being bonus dlc no one who could give us information knows anything about it. If the Starling was known to be about Geno in Smash there would be way different discussions happening behind the scenes and what gets leaked out and insinuated to the rest of us would be much different. Now could it be something Geno related outside of Smash? Who knows? But fatman has basically said the picture leak was a big mistake on his part and isn’t happening again so I think it’s fair for people to not obsessively bring it up when it’s clear it’s not relating to the main subject of this thread which is Geno in Smash.
I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. I know Geno wasn’t in the FP the moment they announced extra fighters. Also can you point to me where Fatman directly said the Starling has nothing to do with Geno? I only remember the post where he explicitly said it had nothing to do with KoF.

Hate to say it but like that other guy, it gives off the “Grant Kirkhope of Geno” vibe

It’s also not like we’re making “conspiracy theories”. We’re just speculating. We know fatman seems to have inside info at the very least. But it’s not like i’m holding him accountable for Geno getting in. It’s just harmless speculation.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
In regards to the starling pic, perhaps the source does not wish to disclose its true meaning so that we may be legitimately surprised and overjoyed when the thing that it's supposed to hint is officially revealed. In that light, I see it understandable and most importantly considerate for all (fans and devs).

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Do you have a source for any of this? Because I haven't once seen him say or imply that the starling image wasn't Geno. As far as I'm aware, he's only ever confirmed what it wasn't refering to.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I don't think Geno will be character 5, but I definitely do think he has a high chance of being in the next round of characters and hopefully he is.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it will make you all feel better, or worse, Fatman does not know

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My problem with the starling image is I’m pretty sure Fatmanonice said it was actually bad news; however, from the stuff he has talked about, I don’t think it has anything to do with Geno. It seems it certainly has nothing to do with the bonus DLC, so yeah.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Take it from someone who actually studied the leaks from before the game came out. Fatmanonice does not know anything at all and probably was playing everyone for the hype. It's best to forget about the boy who cried wolf.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Take it from someone who actually studied the leaks from before the game came out. Fatmanonice does not know anything at all and probably was playing everyone for the hype. It's best to forget about the boy who cried wolf.
I mean that's objectively not true. Sabi and other people in the discord group with the Nintendo insider/leaker have all confirmed that he is in said groups and backed up things he has posted even if they didn't always agree with his interpretation of certain things.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. I know Geno wasn’t in the FP the moment they announced extra fighters. Also can you point to me where Fatman directly said the Starling has nothing to do with Geno? I only remember the post where he explicitly said it had nothing to do with KoF.

Hate to say it but like that other guy, it gives off the “Grant Kirkhope of Geno” vibe

It’s also not like we’re making “conspiracy theories”. We’re just speculating. We know fatman seems to have inside info at the very least. But it’s not like i’m holding him accountable for Geno getting in. It’s just harmless speculation.
When you try to say that some random person in a discord group who provides information on a character knows that said character is actually in and is just lying to everyone and keeping it a big secret contrary to what other people in said group are saying as well as that individual it does seem conspiracy-ish. As in you're projecting what you want onto someone who you think will have some secret information because they've been privy to information in the past. You may as well speculate that sabi or papagenos or anyone else has top secret intel that Geno is actually in and are keeping it a secret because honestly they'd be much more likely to receive that information than Fatman. But I can tell you that they don't because such things would already be out there and disseminated and discussed ad nauseum because that's how leaker culture works.

Do you have a source for any of this? Because I haven't once seen him say or imply that the starling image wasn't Geno. As far as I'm aware, he's only ever confirmed what it wasn't refering to.
I mean I don't really feel like digging through the thread for specific posts but that was definetely the implication when he brought up his thinking that the Starling had to do with Resident Evil. There were other things as well.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Yeah.. Fatmanonice is a pretty highly respected member of not only this board, but this whole website. So coming into THIS thread saying it’s best to forget about him is silly. End of story.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I'm just gonna throw this into the ring to get some nice speculation going. We all like that, yeah?

The music has been on our mind for a while. The OST being taken down and that fan remix of BtFM getting chopped at the same time as a Megalovania remix? Wild.

The announcement of additional DLC has out some pep in our step, but what I've been thinking about is this: why were the tracks taken down so long ago if the discussion of the characters after the Fighters Pass would most likely be a more recent development?

Could Geno be our #5? Not very likely, but this may give it something.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Maybe the leaker is a sadist and wants to see Geno's followers suffer if he ends up not playable in Ultimate.

Or he knows that he might be playable and wants to keep it a surprise.

It's one or the other.

(Or chances are, it's not even about Geno...)

:bomb:.
I don't think the insider want's to see us suffer. I completely trust Fatmanonice Fatmanonice on that guy being a cool trust worthy dude.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I'm just gonna throw this into the ring to get some nice speculation going. We all like that, yeah?

The music has been on our mind for a while. The OST being taken down and that fan remix of BtFM getting chopped at the same time as a Megalovania remix? Wild.

The announcement of additional DLC has out some pep in our step, but what I've been thinking about is this: why were the tracks taken down so long ago if the discussion of the characters after the Fighters Pass would most likely be a more recent development?

Could Geno be our #5? Not very likely, but this may give it something.
Assuming Geno is DLC Fighter 5, maybe that's when they began work on him and they wanted to cover their bases? I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom