• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
So. About Geno being a Mii Costume

While the possibility is still there, there's two things that, for me, go against it.

I don't really believe Fatmanonice's sentiment of "the right time to reveal it was Hero's pack" While of course that would've been the most logical time, I don't think Sakurai cares about all that after revealing Isaac and Shadow in the last base game direct.

However, i'd say the notion that Square Enix would willfully have to "bundle" their property with another company's character and put two music tracks and a costume in for just 75 cents doesn't seem very Square Enix like to me at all.
Exactly plus we barely got 2 tracks for a character that is 5.99. What makes you think square is going to give music for an outfit that is 75 cents? 1 track maybe, but defiantly not 2 tracks. Talking about Cloud btw.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I hope someone redoes Ultimate's opening movie or the 'everyone is here' trailer to include the DLC characters.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Something that baffles me, by the by:

Where did the stereotype that none of Geno's fans played SMRPG come from?

Yeah, I have seen a few Geno fans who never played the game, but most of the Geno fans I've met have played SMRPG... and many multiple times over. I feel part of it might be because of Rawest Forest being huge back in the day, but even so, the amount of Geno fans I've met who never played SMRPG and only saw Rawest Forest have actually been zero. Many younger people are Geno fans, and it's not because they saw him as a meme. I've met a lot of younger Geno fans who have played SMRPG, either on the Wii, Wii U, or SNES Classic (or, ahem, illegal means).

"But if they played SMRPG, they'd know that Mallow has way more personality and is VASTLY superior to Geno! Therefore, they never played SMRPG!"

That's some loudly shoehorned, faulty logic based solely on opinion while refusing to acknowledge that other opinions exist. On top of that, it's a massive generalization. Sometimes, people click with other characters than the ones other people did, yet a lack of personal attachment will logically make them feel like their opinion is the 'right' opinion... when it isn't. There is no 'right' opinion and making a solid argument on subjectivity will never work. You can't have a solid foundation on a ground made of gelatin. Saying that people who like Geno didn't play SMRPG because Mallow is better is such a long reach that Mallow's stretchy, noodly arms wouldn't be able to manage it. I've seen people who found Mallow irritating (and while that baffles me, who am I to say that their opinion is wrong when it is subjective?) and loved Geno. I've seen people who hated Geno and adored Mallow. I've seen people who love both equally (hi, I'm in this camp).

Geno's fans don't just exist in a vacuum isolated from anything else SMRPG-related. The subset of the fan base is not the entirety of it.

In fact, I think Geno has just as much personality as Mallow. Mallow is a little ditzy, but he's a tough cookie and calls it like it is. He is emotionally sensitive and does have a tendency to cry, but especially given his situation, it's understandable. He's also a very nice and helpful fellow, resilient and trying his best to grow and figure out his place in life. Geno is wise and clever, but he isn't just a perfect star. He's loyal and attached to his duty, yes, but he doesn't behave as one would expect of a heavenly being. He sasses Bowyer and tells him to chill out, and when things look grim, he ends up cowering (again, Bowyer situation). He's also expressive and jovial and full of laughter. While patient, he does have a bit of a temper (see: trying to leave Star Hill without the star piece, wherein he gets freaking huffy and FURIOUS, determined to the point of even looking a bit unhinged). He's a protective soul, even of people he hardly knows (see, Mario and Mallow in the intro in Forest Maze, wherein Geno protects these two people who may as well still be strangers). He's also incredible with kids like Gaz.

Just because a character is calm, collected, and is able to compose himself, it does not mean the character is automatically 'boring'. The people who actually played the game would know that, after all, for Geno is actually very expressive and has moments where his personality shines through. You can't get that out of just skimming a script online and ctrl-F'ing Geno's lines. In fact, given that is rooted firmer in logic born from in-game evidence versus online documentation, that is far less a reach than the, "The people who played the game would know Mallow is better," argument. It's objective that he's more expressive than you'd see if you just read the script. It is, however, subjective whether or not you think Geno's character was handled well. After all, do I think his potential was largely understated and that he could have been written better? HELL yes I do. I really do agree. Mallow's personality shines through better than Geno's. However, I'd call this a flaw in the writing (especially with RPGs still being in their infancy and this being the first Mario RPG ever), not a flaw in the character. Geno is not a bad character; he could have been written better.

Of course, I feel only people who actually played the game and had an open mind would understand the level of subjectivity and understanding here, but alas, here we are. Not everything is black and white, but a loud portion of Smash fandom certainly doesn't understand that.

What I'm saying is Geno and Mallow are both good and valid characters and you can't dislike a cute star that likes ducks :sadeyes:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Super Mario RPG is one of my favorite games of all time, and I've played it since it first came out. I didn't own it back then, I had to rent it from Blockbuster. Maybe that's part of the appeal. For the first few years it was out I didn't own it so it had a sort of mystique as every time I played it it was usually through someone else's save file and I got to see a little more of the game. I eventually bought it at a "Swap Meet" in around the year 2000 and played the hell out of it.

I remember in 5th grade I searched the internet all day during computer lab day looking for whatever information I could find on Mario RPG. That was back when the only information I could find was from fan sites with flashing gif backgrounds and midi tunes playing. - On a dial up modem

I've played it on my SNES mini too, but I want it to come to switch since I can carry my switch around.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Super Mario RPG is one of my favorite games of all time, and I've played it since it first came out. I didn't own it back then, I had to rent it from Blockbuster. Maybe that's part of the appeal. For the first few years it was out I didn't own it so it had a sort of mystique as every time I played it it was usually through someone else's save file and I got to see a little more of the game. I eventually bought it at a "Swap Meet" in around the year 2000 and played the hell out of it.

I remember in 5th grade I searched the internet all day during computer lab day looking for whatever information I could find on Mario RPG. That was back when the only information I could find was from fan sites with flashing gif backgrounds and midi tunes playing. - On a dial up modem

I've played it on my SNES mini too, but I want it to come to switch since I can carry my switch around.
We need edits of those old Pikachu gifs from around that time, just Geno versions of those. That'll absolutely show our age lol.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
There's only one solution:

Make Geno AND Mallow playable.

And Kamek.
And Dixie.
Impa.
Isaac.
Ninten.
Alph.
Protoman.
Jeanne.
Shadow.
Ms. Pacman.
Black Mage.
Skull Kid.
Medusa.
Sora.
Octaling.
Black Shadow.
Elma.
Bandana Dee.

Etc.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
There's only one solution:

Make Geno AND Mallow playable.

And Kamek.
And Dixie.
Impa.
Isaac.
Ninten.
Alph.
Protoman.
Jeanne.
Shadow.
Ms. Pacman.
Black Mage.
Skull Kid.
Medusa.
Sora.
Octaling.
Black Shadow.
Elma.
Bandana Dee.

Etc.
Zael
Calista
Paper Mario
Fawful
Adeleine
Tails
Boy & Blob
Heavy
Freddy Fazbear(keehee)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I say that Sans Mii Costume makes it clear that Geno will be added as either the MFcostume or fighter
I also think the Sans Mii costume and Shovel Knight Assist Trophy makes it clear that we are probably getting a Indie rep soon. Only other character I would say is Shantae since those two are probably out of the running.

Too me, Shantae being chosen as the Indie rep would make more sense as she has seniority, more games, and greater moveset potential than most other Indie candidates. Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight's one games might have sold more than the entire Shantae series, but sales isn't always everything.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I also think the Sans Mii costume and Shovel Knight Assist Trophy makes it clear that we are probably getting a Indie rep soon. Only other character I would say is Shantae since those two are probably out of the running.

Too me, Shantae being chosen as the Indie rep would make more sense as she has seniority, more games, and greater moveset potential than most other Indie candidates. Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight's one games might have sold more than the entire Shantae series, but sales isn't always everything.
Shantae may be what people are thinking of when it comes to indie, but i honestly don't know if she really is one on the count of her firs game on the game boy color, then again i'm just saying this because i'm rather interested in the knight from hollow knight to get a spot in smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Shantae may be what people are thinking of when it comes to indie, but i honestly don't know if she really is one on the count of her firs game on the game boy color, then again i'm just saying this because i'm rather interested in the knight from hollow knight to get a spot in smash.
Shantae's resume:

- Has 4 games soon to be 5.

- Seniority over almost all other Indie characters being around for 17 years.

- Greater moveset potential than most other Indie characters being a half-genie that can transform into different animals.

The only thing Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight have above Shantae is sales and popularity. But like I said, sales isn't always everything. I literally think Sakurai would choose Shantae as the Indie rep because of her seniority and moveset potential.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Shantae's resume:

- Has 4 games soon to be 5.

- Seniority over almost all other Indie characters being around for 17 years.

- Greater moveset potential than most other Indie characters being a half-genie that can transform into different animals.

The only thing Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight have above Shantae is sales and popularity. But like I said, sales isn't always everything. I literally think Sakurai would choose Shantae as the Indie rep because of her seniority and moveset potential.
That's Understandible, but darn it i wish there was support for the knight to be in smash.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
The indie rep I would love to see is The Knight from Hollow Knight. His abilities would translate perfectly.

Nartic

Smash Cadet
There's nothing wrong with indie game characters entering Smash, but I don't think it's necessary to create a separate place for "Indie rep."

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There's nothing wrong with indie game characters entering Smash, but I don't think it's necessary to create a separate place for "Indie rep."
Smash is about gaming history and the Indie scene is certainly a important part of that history that can't be ignored.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'd love the Knight from Hollow Knight, Papyrus from Undertale, Quote from Cave Story, or Shantae to be our first indie rep. That'd be pretty darn sick. I know Frisk would easily make it over Papyrus, though, alas... but I support them, too!

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
If I may contribute, I personally feel like Quote would be the best choice for an indie rep. He's as indie as you can get, as his game's entirety was made by just one guy. He's definitely not as recognizable as some characters but he's practically the definition of an indie character as a whole. Shantae, the Knight, and Frisk may have him beat but Quote feels like the right choice to me.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If I may contribute, I personally feel like Quote would be the best choice for an indie rep. He's as indie as you can get, as his game's entirety was made by just one guy. He's definitely not as recognizable as some characters but he's practically the definition of an indie character as a whole. Shantae, the Knight, and Frisk may have him beat but Quote feels like the right choice to me.
I don't think one person making a game is any less indie than a team making a game. It's all about having no involvement with a major game company. Still impressive though, especially for that time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, for the email campaign, are they wanting my backstory/tragic origin and all that? Just wanting to know how much thought I need to put into it because, as you all know, I write essays for fun.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I still think Quote, possibly with a Curly echo, is one of the strongest possible picks for an "Indie" slot. But I think Shantae's got her pluses too. I'd be pretty happy either way.

domriver

Smash Lord
All right - so Banjo/Kazooie - i love 'em exactly. Sakurai did an incredible job to bringing them to Smash.

So in a bit of serious talk regarding DLC.
Geno may or maynot be #5 we shall see.
Any rate regarding DLC outside of this fighters pass - Sakurai did not mention any restrictions as to who and what may be as DLC. I guess until an official statement regarding the restrictions of this new DLC it maybe be safe to assume he will be looking at both 1st and 3rd party characters. Possible upgrades from AT"s to full characters? When he said more worlds that can mean from first party as well. My own opinion and prediction is that with this annoucement of DLC he wants to make happen characters that were highly requested in the smash ballot. We already know that Geno was highly requested. Sakurai mentioned it a couple of times if not a few. Anyone have a list of that list? Regarding the Ballot and that one from Brawl or Wii U i think. We should use that list because i think that may be the ones we are looking at for possible DLC also willing to throw an odd ball or random character just for kicks.
your thought on this people?

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I hope someone redoes Ultimate's opening movie or the 'everyone is here' trailer to include the DLC characters.
I'm kinda betting whenever they announce the Final DLC character (presumably in a direct like 4 did) they'll close it off with a redone version of "Everyone is Here" but with all the DLC and stuff. Best way to bring Ultimate full circle

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I don't think one person making a game is any less indie than a team making a game. It's all about having no involvement with a major game company. Still impressive though, especially for that time.
Yeah, that's what I mean. They'd all make great indie reps but man, Quote's game's origin story impressed me so much.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm kinda betting whenever they announce the Final DLC character (presumably in a direct like 4 did) they'll close it off with a redone version of "Everyone is Here" but with all the DLC and stuff. Best way to bring Ultimate full circle
Hopefully Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee are some of those DLC characters as they both feel like the biggest omissions from the Nintendo roster. You really can't say "Everyone Is Here!" without those two.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
your thought on this people?
I don’t think Geno is in the Fighter Pass, but I think he is highly likely for the next batch of DLC. I do think Sakurai will look at fan favorites in the ballots regardless if they already are spirits or AT’s or costumes.

My personal wish list is:

1. Geno
2. Isaac
3. Waluigi
4. Skull Kid
5. Bandana Waddle Dee
6. Rex/Pyra

I’d also be happy to see Dixie, Shantae, Shadow, and Rayman for those fans.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee are some of those DLC characters as they both feel like the biggest omissions from the Nintendo roster. You really can't say "Everyone Is Here!" without those two.
I'd be down for more Nintendo characters like those. But part of me thinks they'll still heavily lean into the 3rd parties for the DLC. I'm kinda curious to see what direction they take the choices in now that pretty much there doesn't seem to be a definitive end for the game yet.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I'd be down for more Nintendo characters like those. But part of me thinks they'll still heavily lean into the 3rd parties for the DLC. I'm kinda curious to see what direction they take the choices in now that pretty much there doesn't seem to be a definitive end for the game yet.
I don’t think we’ll get that many third party characters in the next batch. The Fighter Pass seems to be all third party and we know that was Nintendo’s choice. I think Sakurai will focus more on first party again for most of it with a few exceptions like Geno and maybe one or two others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom