• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So after Geno get's in who's thread you'll all going to camp out at most of the time? After Geno get's in, I'll be spending most of my time in the Shantae thread.
I'd personally chill out at the Isaac thread and the Social thread. Isaac is my second most wanted and so I'd chill out with the rest of the Isaac gang.
Let's say you were allowed one character that breaks the "no non video game character rule" who would you pick?

Optional Hardmode: can't be Goku or anyone from a shounen anime.

I would have Sam & Max as a pair, similar to ice climbers.
Easy, Mickey Mouse. Sure people are worried about Disney taking over Smash but nah I don't think that would happen while they would want a big blowout for Mickey I doubt they'd scoop up the entirety of Nintendo and Smash bros that's just not what Disney does. Collaborations don't have to lead towards buying said company and I think Mickey would be really cool.

Mickey is pretty much the pioneer of western animation and has such a big legacy it branches out and becomes important world wide. He's known world wide and he's pretty much the definition of iconic. So I'd choose Mickey.
I know Nintendo took down:

-A Banjo-Kazooie fan remix and a Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms remix, both labeled as being for Smash and were from a channel that got nuked for uploading leaked music (Nintendo striked these specifically before nuking the channel, though)
-A Megalovania remix labeled as being for Smash - reasons are similar to the other fan remixes’ but the Megalovania was from a different channel
-The two SMRPG tracks
-Apparently some actual(?) Undertale music according to another user, but I didn’t see this myself
They also took down a remix of Isaac's theme which is interesting but it may mean nothing. Isaac's theme isn't even in the game yet.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You're saying it as if a mass list of Shonen characters will spontaneously appear in the game if one 4th party character gets a measely cameo on a single stage, Sure people will start requesting for these characters more but that doesn't mean Sakurai has to respond to every single request with a fighter (Sans and Waluigi come to mind).
There is a difference between showing that there is a line he won¨t crosses and there is no line he won¨t cross which would force them to start adding 4th party characters. Sakurai knew that he wouldn¨t just be able to have Snake and Sonic be a one and done deal so to speak, which is why Smash is the way it is today. The same would happen if Donald and Goofy got involved even though they would not be fighters. Ironically enough, you are using the exact same argument that Goku supporters are using ("he could just make Goku an exception because of....")

He tries his damndest to please as many people as he can, and if he added 4th party character, then it would just make his work even harder and fans (unfortunately) more demanding.... so no, no Disney stuff should be included with Sora

Edit - sorry if I sound ranty, But I hate the idea of adding 4th party stuff in Smash....

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
You're saying it as if a mass list of Shonen characters will spontaneously appear in the game if one 4th party character gets a measely cameo on a single stage, Sure people will start requesting for these characters more but that doesn't mean Sakurai has to respond to every single request with a fighter (Sans and Waluigi come to mind).
You're 100% correct but Icewolff92 Icewolff92 will just block anyone who proves him wrong about anything. He's not worth acknowledging.

D

Deleted member

Please remember that Dracula, a non-video game character, is a boss in Smash Brothers Ultimate. He was allowed into the game because he uses an incarnation that is exclusive to Castlevania.
Yeah, and that's not "Dracula", that's Castlevania's Dracula. It's almost like saying that any US president is a viable pick for Smash because the crowd chants "We Like Ike". Godzilla is viable for Smash because Donkey Kong is based loosely on King Kong. Your grumpy landlord is viable because Mario's name was taken from the landlord for Nintendo's something something New York City.

Dracula is a video game character inspired by a character from a novel inspired by a historical figure, but he's not THE Vlad Tepes. He isn't Mickey Mouse, who is... Mickey Mouse, and has starred in his own games on virtually every console ever, but at the end of the day is a cartoon character and a guy in a very hot suit at a very sticky park in Florida or California first and foremost.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

So nobody knows who specifically is the creator/father of Geno? :(
According to the end credits for the game, there's at least two suspects

Main character design:
Kiyofumi Kato and Yuko Hatae

then there's
Character Advisor:
Yoichi Kotabe

That role is probably for the writing, and not the design.

Kiyofumi Kato, at least, has worked on other Square games after Mario RPG.

Firox

Smash Master
Who would have ever expected that the father of Geno would literally have the name "Father [of] Geno"? I certainly didn't. What a twist! :ultduckhunt:
The people of Star Road are a simple folk. They don't ask for much, and they value the subtle beauty of the obvious. (Plus it makes Genealogy work super easy)

link2702

Smash Champion
I’d like to point out one thing real quick....

Dracula is mentioned by name so freely mostly because iirc he’s public domain now.

Mickey isn’t, so it’s not quite the same. Nintendo could create their own version of dracula and as long as it’s not related too or too similar to konami’s , they are free to use it.

So...yeah.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The people of Star Road are a simple folk. They don't ask for much, and they value the subtle beauty of the obvious. (Plus it makes Genealogy work super easy)
I think you mean

GENOalogy

I'll see myself out.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
There is a difference between showing that there is a line he won¨t crosses and there is no line he won¨t cross which would force them to start adding 4th party characters. Sakurai knew that he wouldn¨t just be able to have Snake and Sonic be a one and done deal so to speak, which is why Smash is the way it is today. The same would happen if Donald and Goofy got involved even though they would not be fighters. Hilariously enough, you are using the exact same argument that Goku supporters are using ("he could just make Goku an exception because of....")

He tries his damndest to please as many people as he can, and if he added 4th party character, then it would just make his work even harder and fans (unfortunately) more demanding.... so no, no Disney stuff should be included with Sora
I don't understand how that would force Sakurai to make Smash into Mugen for just adding a cameo of Donald and Goofy to Sora's final smash or the background of a Kingdom Hearts stage. Sakurai added more third party characters because he wanted to and if he doesn't want to add characters, he'll just ignore them and move on. The requests may keep on coming but they'll come out empty handed. He's never forced to add characters. Really he'll only add Donald and Goofy if he wants to and can possibly get them.

But whatever man, that's just what I think. I don't have a problem with 4th party characters, as long as they have a big gaming presence, they're good in my book.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Think I missed the mark here with the Soul Calibur talk, but I used to play some Soul Calibur so I wanted to chime in about the subject.

Soul Calibur is chock full of fantastic memorable characters with unique fighting styles so I could totally see it getting a rep. Someone else mentioned Voldo who I also would love to see make it in Smash with all those weird contortion-y moves. But I do think Yoshimitsu would be the best choice followed closely by Siegfried/Nightmare. I'd be fine with any of those.

Disclaimer: the following paragraph is opinion: Ivy is another story though. Ivy definitely has a really cool weapon and I know people want more female characters and all but yeah that outfit ain't gonna fly in Smash. Bayonetta really isnt all that risque in her Smash appearance. Smash may not be a game for kids but it is a Nintendo game and it is made for many different players of multiple age groups and video game backgrounds. Ivy is simply inappropriate. There's no way around it. That kind of female representation does not belong in Smash even though video games as a whole have the habit of representing female characters with that sort of body type and revealing attire. Im gonna level with you all. I nuked my video game collection because characters like Ivy make my girlfriend really uncomfortable and her comfort is much more important to me than playing games I used to enjoy. I'm sure she's not alone in that. Sure Ivy could bring in some new players but she would also alienate others who wouldn't be alienated by an inclusion of Yoshimitsu or Siegfried/Nightmare. I have a personal vested interest in seeing characters like Ivy not make it into Smash because I want to support Smash in every way I can and could not support an inclusion like that. I know that there's more to Ivy and other...endowed female characters than their...assets but it just isn't necessary or really fitting in Smash in my opinion. I think Smash really tries to cater to all players and not alienate players. I don't expect video games as a whole or anyone else to share this opinion nor do I intend to infringe upon artists' right to express themselves through the characters they design. I realize this is an unpopular opinion but it's still one held by enough people that I think Nintendo would pay attention to it because unlike other companies, Nintendo actually seems to generally care about this stuff even if they are sometimes guilty of it themselves.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Given that it's a 4chan leak and blocked content besides, I'm taking it with a Huge grain of Himalayan pink salt
I can't seem to find the post number so it is most likely fake.
It gets a little annoying seeing Geno's name appearing in fake leaks all the time. Can we just get something legit for once?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I can't seem to find the post number so it is most likely fake.
It gets a little annoying seeing Geno's name appearing in fake leaks all the time. Can we just get something legit for once?
It's unfortunate. But all we can do is keep hoping. It's a shame though, that leak had a couple of other characters I want as well.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is some 4chan leak that says Geno is the 5th fighter and gex is going to be in the second pass. It's fake. It was inspect elements screen shot. People found the original thread

Attachments

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
We've gotten to the point where people are faking fake 4chan posts. What a time to be alive.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
You know, I'm losing track of the detractor's claims about how obscure Geno is with all these fake Geno leaks to troll fans.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Wtf? Is that leak really fake? There are no archives of it existing? Holy crap, that is SAD. You gotta get Geno fans hopes up like that, we've been through enough as is.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
According to the end credits for the game, there's at least two suspects

Main character design:
Kiyofumi Kato and Yuko Hatae

then there's
Character Advisor:
Yoichi Kotabe

That role is probably for the writing, and not the design.

Kiyofumi Kato, at least, has worked on other Square games after Mario RPG.
A lot of credit for Geno is also given to Miyamoto if I am not mistaken. Not sure what he did in regards to his creation but it's a thing.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Question. Back in the Wii U days, does anyone know if Geno’s Mii Fighter costumer leaked before it was announced?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Let's keep discussion going here.

What other songs do you think Geno would come with if he came with a fighters pass?

Also, can someone fact check for me if Corrin in Smash 4 came with two or one song?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

What other songs do you think Geno would come with if he came with a fighters pass?
I’d like:

Fight Against Monsters

Fight Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster

Geno Awakens + Let’s Play Geno! + Goodbye Geno

Hello, Happy Kingdom!

Nimbus Land

The Starlight’s Flower

Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms

Fight Against Smithy

-anything else from the game

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

Also, can someone fact check for me if Corrin in Smash 4 came with two or one song?
Honestly I say we are just going to get the two that were taken down. Knowing square we are not going to get more the. 2 tracks.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Two. A remix of Lost in Thoughts All Alone, and an abridged version of the original.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Corrin came with two tracks: the original version and remix version of "Lost in Thoughts All Alone." So, there is precedent to only two tracks coming with a character. My stance on "music takedown theory" is this, if it's real, we're just getting Geno without a stage. If it's not real, we're potentially getting Geno, a stage, and more music; the takedowns just didn't have anything directly to do with Smash. Square-Enix only giving two tracks as a "stingy" company is a damn myth and this should be blatantly obvious from Hero at this point, so no, I don't think two tracks per game is some absurd hard rule that Square Enxi seriously abides by.

Anyways, as for additional songs. I think when we get Geno, he comes with the Victory theme from Super Mario RPG. That's just way too easy to incorporate and perfect for him (so, at least three tracks).

"Let's Play 'Geno'" is also a super obvious pick and since it's based off of Mario music, maybe that one doesn't have to be specifically licensed out from Square Enix? The composer is Koji Kondo, so who knows on that one.

Another really cool thing would be to see a great remix of "Geno Awakens" and "Goodbye Geno" mashed up in a really cool way that's adapted to modern times.

And then, "Fight Against Smithy, Who Likes Transforming" is a really upbeat, if slightly sinister one that could work super well in Smash with some modernization. And then the battle theme needs to be there as well.

It just depends on if we get the "full DLC character treament" or the "Corrin treatment."

AugustusB

Smash Champion

I feel, Geno will come with more music than we think. However, the twist is 2 tracks will be owned by Square and the others will be from Nintendo.

Imagine these tracks: Beware the Forest Mushrooms, Battle against and Armed Boss, The Ultimate Show (Remix-Super Paper Mario), Battle Theme from Paper Mario TTYD, and several other tracks from various Mario RPG titles.

I wouldn't be too salty if this happened.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I feel, Geno will come with more music than we think. However, the twist is 2 tracks will be owned by Square and the others will be from Nintendo.

Imagine these tracks: Beware the Forest Mushrooms, Battle against and Armed Boss, The Ultimate Show (Remix-Super Paper Mario), Battle Theme from Paper Mario TTYD, and several other tracks from various Mario RPG titles.

I wouldn't be too salty if this happened.
That is actually a really interesting take having Geno bring in more songs from other Mario RPG games. I actually like that a lot.

However, I just don't see Geno being apart of this fighter's pass. We need to keep pushing for the next set of DLC.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Do we have actual confirmation that Geno's songs were taken down? And that it was along with Sans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom