• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You said "package deals" which implies releasing the characters at the same time. Banjo and Hero are not releasing at the same time.
I'm talking of character reveal news, I don't recall any individual DLC character ever having been revealed ahead of a previous other one unless they were specifically shown together ala Roy/Ryu and Hero/Banjo. I have a hard time seeing number 4 being shown off before BK is focused on and Raring To Go.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Maybe it's a really minor thing to get annoyed over but I'm still mad they skipped over the Johto starters for mega evolutions and I was hoping Gen 6 would bring the concept back just so there'd be a chance to get them.
THIS! So much this! My most precious starter pokemon ever was a Typhlosion that I named Knuckles. After the Gen 1 and 3 starters got Megas, I couldn't stop thinking about how awesome it would be for my Typhlosion to have a cool new evolution. There was tons of cool fan art online to speculate what it would look like. I figured that if any generation needed a power boost, it was that one. Now fast forward to Sw and Sh. Not only did they screw Megas, which I agree was my favorite thing from Gen 6 onward, but there is a huge chance that Typhlosion won't even be playable at all. And the triple battles! Those were the best! So much strategy to be had. I'm bitter to say the least.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I'm talking of character reveal news, I don't recall any individual DLC character ever having been revealed ahead of a previous other one unless they were specifically shown together ala Roy/Ryu and Hero/Banjo. I have a hard time seeing number 4 being shown off before BK is focused on and Raring To Go.
You mean besides Joker being shown before Piranha Plant came out?

Or Lucas being revealed before Mewtwo came out?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The sources' credibility deepens. He not only leaked some of the Pokemon in today's presentation to us but he also correctly leaked the Three Thrones characters coming to Fire Emblem Heroes. I keep telling you all, this guy is batting a 1.000 and he's been correctly leaking things to Sabi and the rest of us for about a year now. It's insane how good this guy's intel is and salt about it from naysayers and rival leakers is hilarious.
Now, all we can do is wait and see how long it takes for the starling pic to pay off.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Ok people I just thought of something. Nintendo pick the dlc right? They also said a while back that they know we want Waluigi and Geno. So what if they picked those 2 for there potential dlc list and Sakurai pick Geno?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
You mean besides Joker being shown before Piranha Plant came out?

Or Lucas being revealed before Mewtwo came out?
Yep. I don't see it out of the realm of possibility to reveal DLC 4 before Banjo gets his demo

zippyskipy

Smash Cadet
THIS! So much this! My most precious starter pokemon ever was a Typhlosion that I named Knuckles. After the Gen 1 and 3 starters got Megas, I couldn't stop thinking about how awesome it would be for my Typhlosion to have a cool new evolution. There was tons of cool fan art online to speculate what it would look like. I figured that if any generation needed a power boost, it was that one. Now fast forward to Sw and Sh. Not only did they screw Megas, which I agree was my favorite thing from Gen 6 onward, but there is a huge chance that Typhlosion won't even be playable at all. And the triple battles! Those were the best! So much strategy to be had. I'm bitter to say the least.
On the topic of Typhlosion and disappointment I haaaaaate how it's default state has been 'Fire: OFF' for the last few generations. It looks sooo much better on fire, which is an odd sentence out of context I am now just realizing

I think starters will likely be safe from the chopping block though.
...But then again, who knows how the hell GF is picking who gets to stay. Weeeh, god damn it I really wish this wasn't something GF made us have to worry about >:U

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I never thought I'd see a discussion about political correctness in the Geno support thread on Smashboards.

Not to dig up any hatchets or anything, just thought it was interesting. :p

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I never thought I'd see a discussion about political correctness in the Geno support thread on Smashboards.

Not to dig up any hatchets or anything, just thought it was interesting. :p
Big topics in the world right now tend to leak into other stuff, and I'm guilty of that I'm afraid. Sorry about that yet again.

I have a surprise for you guys, though. I plan on streaming SMRPG again, on and off with FF7. Friday I will stream SMRPG. If you guys could PM me art that you know that person is okay with being shared on stream, hit me up with it and their preferred/best way of finding them. I mostly only got art from Ovaltine Ovaltine last time, and I want to show off the talent that our community has!

I plan on going through this time and giving my ideas on how to correct that game for a Remake. Things I think could have been done better or shouldn't have been left in or left out, yadda yadda. I'm excited to stream the game again, and I'll be doing it on both YouTube and Twitch again since I got partnered! Feel free to hop in on which ever platform you prefer!

Seriously though, hit me up with that art!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I bet character 4 is at the next Direct, perhaps September with a November release. Character 5 could be a December direct.

I'm predicting that Banjo is either released or will have his presentation October 1st.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
I bet character 4 is at the next Direct, perhaps September with a November release. Character 5 could be a December direct.

I'm predicting that Banjo is either released or will have his presentation October 1st.
on the mention of reveals, how you you guys think a genor eveal would go? would it play off of another reveal like krools/banjos? or would it be entirely new like heros?

StarLight42

Smash Lord

I don’t think there would be a December Direct. I’m thinking #5 will be revealed at the VGAs.

so how are we feeling about starling? With the Pokemon presentation out of the picture, I'm a lot more confident in its relation to Geno.
The only other thing I was able to link it to is Juliet Starling, but many people would say that Travis would get into Smash before she would

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Banjo I think is coming either late September or early October, followed by character 4 being released during holiday, and finally character 5 in February.

RingJ5

Smash Ace

Character #5 will 100% be at TGA 2019, to end things the way they started.

Also, saw a few people earlier in the thread confused about why Nintendo would “pick Joker themselves”, but that’s the thing: We don’t know how vague their choices were. For all we know, they could have chosen “A SMT rep, a Dragon Quest rep, a Microsoft rep, and two others” and Sakurai just went with the options he preferred.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Ok, strike me down but I'm certain Banjo will be late August to mid-September. I say that because Sakurai stated that the gameplay in the reveal trailers are always close to the final build. That means that Banjo MUST be pretty close towards his release. Now, I'm not saying the spirits and Mii costumes and balancing are done but BANJO HIMSELF seems to be. That's why I think we shouldn't expect him for October or late September because of how far he seems to be in development. Remember, they were working on this character alongside Hero and Joker since LAUNCH so he has to be pretty deep in his dev cycle.

Klimax

Smash Ace
It's something I never understood, because I got insulted all the time and I just let it go. I've been on the extremes on both sides.

I've been insulted and called a sociopath or psychopath or emotionless ******* because I have low-level Autism and I never let it bother me too much because I knew they just didn't understand and they weren't me, so they couldn't know me.

I've also had people freak out on me because of something I said that wasn't an insult and wasn't even about them at all, a la my example. They were at least professional about it, but I've had people actually snap on me because they thought I was insulting someone when I wasn't even talking to them or about any group.

EDIT: I said I would stop in here so I will.
Just ignore people's feelings, you can't make everyone happy anyway. They're the ones who should toughen up, you don't have to censure yourself. If they can't handle a joke, the problem is them, not the joke.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Big topics in the world right now tend to leak into other stuff, and I'm guilty of that I'm afraid. Sorry about that yet again.

I have a surprise for you guys, though. I plan on streaming SMRPG again, on and off with FF7. Friday I will stream SMRPG. If you guys could PM me art that you know that person is okay with being shared on stream, hit me up with it and their preferred/best way of finding them. I mostly only got art from Ovaltine Ovaltine last time, and I want to show off the talent that our community has!

I plan on going through this time and giving my ideas on how to correct that game for a Remake. Things I think could have been done better or shouldn't have been left in or left out, yadda yadda. I'm excited to stream the game again, and I'll be doing it on both YouTube and Twitch again since I got partnered! Feel free to hop in on which ever platform you prefer!

Seriously though, hit me up with that art!
You can use some of my art, m8

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
on the mention of reveals, how you you guys think a genor eveal would go? would it play off of another reveal like krools/banjos? or would it be entirely new like heros?
Since I think Geno will be a Bonus character, I think his reveal would be in game like Piranha Plant and the Smash 4 dlc fighters.

I can't really visualise how his reveal trailer would go since I'm not the biggest Geno fan.

D

Deleted member

Ok, strike me down but I'm certain Banjo will be late August to mid-September. I say that because Sakurai stated that the gameplay in the reveal trailers are always close to the final build. That means that Banjo MUST be pretty close towards his release. Now, I'm not saying the spirits and Mii costumes and balancing are done but BANJO HIMSELF seems to be. That's why I think we shouldn't expect him for October or late September because of how far he seems to be in development. Remember, they were working on this character alongside Hero and Joker since LAUNCH so he has to be pretty deep in his dev cycle.
Thank you for putting this out. I don't see a late September or an October release either, considering Joker, Hero and Banjo have all been in development since the game released.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yep, this where we agree to disagree,

It's not on someone else to worry about how everyone else feels. It's on the individual to determine whether or not someone is actually trying to insult them or not and to not be over-dramatic when no insults are meant. It's one thing if you have someone close to you who is bothered by something. Normally, the approach would be to stop doing that thing since you care about them. It's another thing to be told to stop doing something because it might offend people you don't know and may never meet nor know if you met them. There is a difference between common courtesy and policing language.

I was not bigoted. You are misusing the term. I was not/am not intolerant of someone holding a different opinion. I was not ignorant. Once again, term misuse. I was not/am not lacking knowledge or awareness or generally uneducated. What I did was simply say something that had no negative connotations towards homosexuals, but rather was using a word that that homosexuals have slowly adopted to mean something new when originally it was a slang term as opposed to the original definition, and transforming that word to mean 'unfair' or 'unfortunate' in my own use.

If anything, the store associate and the offended employee were bigoted because they were intolerant of someone using words or terms in different manners and ways. This is why you cannot just throw out buzzwords like you have: they lose their meaning and can be easily used against you.

Last but not least, offense can never be given: it can only be taken. Even if someone attempts to insult you, it means nothing if you don't care. It's something people have forgotten over time while trying to shape everyone to do things for them rather than making any attempt at bettering themselves. We live in a world where people would rather the whole of society change to fit them rather than change a singular thing about themselves. Whatever happened to 'sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me?'
This isn't an agree to disagree thing though and I'm taking some serious issue with what you're saying. It doesn't matter if insults are meant or not, you're still using objectively homophobic language when you use the phrase, "That's gay." The context in which you explained you used it was specifically as a negative, so you're creating a situation in which "gay" is equivalent to "lame, dumb, etc." You're inadvertently reinforcing negative stereotypes people of the LGBT community when you say that even if you don't mean it. It has real negative connotations regardless of your intentions, and while not the worst thing you could say, nobody wins when you start trying to compete with "how bad a slur or a phrase is."

Bigoted does not have to refer to intention. Calling someone a slur is still just as bigoted an action regardless of if you meant it as an insult or not because once again (The action is bigoted, intention determines individual bigot-edness so to speak), it reinforces negative stereotypes/notions/ideas in just existing as a phrase. And you know what? That's OK to have said it, you just have to learn to accept the criticism and use it as a learning experience to not repeat the behavior. If you say something that's offensive, you said something offensive already. It's then on you as a person to listen to the criticisms the other person has and what they identify as problematic and modify your behavior after the fact. Words have a great deal of power to affect people in a lot of ways, and many people in minority groups have grown up and live with constant slurs, stereotyping, and so on. All of that has a profound effect on an individual. And naturally, people do not enjoy being called things that they've experienced to traditionally either be offensive, or born from such a lack of empathy and total apathetic notion to another person's own lived and cultural experience.

I'm not saying that the context of your actions don't matter. Who is saying it and why they're saying it do matter a great deal. But it's also on you as an individual to recognize why these sayings might be problematic and shouldn't be so casually (and I'd argue at all used). Like, why would you need to say, "That's gay" as opposed to "That's unfortunate" in the first place? You know it's possible you'll offend someone with the first saying and the latter communicates the point as efficiently and as effectively without potentially causing the problem. At that point, you're using the first saying because you don't feel like putting in the effort to change an incredibly minor behavior (Your rhetoric is one of the easiest behaviors you can change) to use the less offensive and equally descriptive option. As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, yeah, "That's gay" comes off poorly and unnecessary. I'm not super offended, but I don't see the reason you can't say the exact same way without bringing "gay" into it.

"It means nothing if you don't care" is a terrible argument that goes against human nature completely too. Human beings are emotional beings with natural reactions and passions. Most people are not just wholly apathetic about things, let alone language that has been intended as an insult in the past and usually have negative connotations for a major component of their identity. "Stick and stone may break your bones... but words can lead to anxiety, depression, isolation, etc." Hiding behind "words don't mean anything" is one of the weakest arguments you can give out in support of a behavior. Yes, they mean something because you thought to say them and expressed the thought in public beyond the confines of your own head. You and you alone are responsible for the words that come out of your mouth, and like I've said, they can have an impact whether you want them to or not. Offense can 100% be given in these situations depending on the choices of your language. If someone call a minority a racial slur, they were obviously intending to offend that person and rile them up.

We're a better society than all of that and we can work together to recognize what language does to the individuals around us and work to do better. There is no reason to use harsh language that can be perceived as offensive when every reasonable alternative that won't cause issues already exists in the English language (and if there aren't, we can work to invent more neutral language). That doesn't mean language has to be sterilized completely or that we can't have jokes about certain behaviors or things, but it's worth determining which ones cause the most issues and can hurt people the most so as to not repeat them in the future. Carlin may have generally been apathetic and anti-PC all around, but he had distinct boundaries that he adhered to and he understood how best to communicate sensitive topics in a comical fashion without offending everyone in the room. You can still be blunt and comical, but it's important to again recognize the effects of language because they are most certainly real.

The sources' credibility deepens. He not only leaked some of the Pokemon in today's presentation to us but he also correctly leaked the Three Thrones characters coming to Fire Emblem Heroes. I keep telling you all, this guy is batting a 1.000 and he's been correctly leaking things to Sabi and the rest of us for about a year now. It's insane how good this guy's intel is and salt about it from naysayers and rival leakers is hilarious.
Are you ever going to refer to Three Houses properly lol.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
"It's not my responsibility to grow a thicker skin and not spaz out over people's usage of relatively mundane verbage, it's your responsibility to curtail your speech so as to fit my delicate sensibilities."
Okay.
>edgy 17 year old defends his right to say edgy things

What a surprise lol. Idk man maybe you’ll get it when you’re older but saying deliberately offensive things doesn’t get you too far in life and winds up biting you in the ass eventually. Or maybe you won’t and will remain without empathy and self-awareness in the way you interact with other people. Hopefully the first one!

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Now the waiting game. Will the Starling proof to be fruitful? Will there be a direct soon? Or can this be his first miss? Find out next time on "Smash Boards Z!"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, how much of September is not considered to be during Summer on the Japanese calendar? This might be helpful to know.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Where can I find it and what is your preferred handle? Like, if i where to place a link for someone to find you on your art and they typed it in to find you, what would that be?
It's kind of scattered, and I really only have two pieces of geno-centric art. The rest I'd prefer to keep anonymous. My board handle is fine for now.
Attached are the two pieces. (I really do need to make more)
I also did the operation starfall logo, but I don't think that counts as fanart >.>

Attachments

ZelDan

Smash Master
When it comes dark/edgy humor, I think there are 2 important things to keep in mind.

1. Delivery: Obviously delivery is important for any joke, but it is especially so when it comes to humor revolving around sensitive matters.

2. Know your audience: This is even more important. I don't think there's anything wrong with making jokes about controversial or tragic things, but I if you are going to make such jokes, you better know that people will be okay with the humor, or that people know you make such humor. I guess to give an example, I don't think there's anything wrong about making joke about, say, 9/11. I wouldn't think there's anything wrong about it even if it were still 2001...

BUT

if someone has actually lost people they loved to that awful event, or were a victim to it in some other way, then, you know, maybe DON'T tell these jokes to these people?

At the end of the day, dark/edgy humor isn't inherently wrong, but you have to be smart with how you use it; you shouldn't just be blurting it out whenever you want.

-----

Now as for using slurs or saying stuff like "that's gay." I just find it to be...unnecessary. I get that when some people say "that's gay" they are saying "that's stupid," but, if you think something is stupid, why not just say "that's stupid"? Why bring homosexual people into the mix?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Except they specifically list Banjo as Fall 2019, so the earliest he can be released is the 4th week of September. Yes, that can change and they can do whatever they want, but based on the information presented now, August and majority of September are not possible.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
So, how much of September is not considered to be during Summer on the Japanese calendar? This might be helpful to know.
Honestly, it’s a good idea to just follow Amiibo releases, because new characters have consistently been released the week after Amiibo waves drop, the next of which is on September 20th.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Honestly, it’s a good idea to just follow Amiibo releases, because new characters have consistently been released the week after Amiibo waves drop, the next of which is on September 20th.
Is that the Squirtle one? I want to get that

It's the closest I can be to having a Blastoise amiibo

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Since the starling hint was mentioned, and after looking into the bird, besides the hint potentially being a play on words, I thought of the Bluebird enemy, and Dodo from Super Mario RPG. Compared Dodo the most to the European Starling due to the bird's descriptions. For example:

European Starling - Breeding adult: "Chunky and blackbird-sized, but with a short tail and a long, slender bill."

As all who've played SMRPG might remember, Dodo is a rather "big-boi" kinda bird, black-feathered, and has a long bill (which he uses to peck at Valentina's statues). Also, the breeding adult phase doesn't only match some of Dodo's physical characteristics, but the very phase could allude to Dodo's role in Nimbus Land, as he is impersonating Mallow (prince of Nimbus), as instructed by Valentina so she could "marry" him and thus both becoming King and Queen of said land.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yeah, I was guessing Banjo to be a late September release, so that week or the following one makes perfect sense

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
That's good and all but it doesn't help us until it's confirmed the bird picture refers to Geno. It still could easily be a reference for something else entirely.

D

Deleted member

This talk about dark humour reminded me of something that happened during February.

So, I was at the funeral of my great aunt, some days after she died.

Up until some minutes after the church finished it, things were being ok so far... Until the person who took care of me when I was born came to talk to me.

I made the mistake of telling her about my problems I had back then, making a focus on my relationship with my father and aunt. Why a mistake? Because at some point I said "It honestly feels as if I was getting hit by two sides" to which she replied "You surely want to be hit harder", in a sexual context.

After that things went to chaos due to the awful mood that answer gave me based on who said it.

Tl;dr if you make dark humour, do it at the right time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom