• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Discourse is not for support threads though friend. That's what Rate Their Chances, etc, etc is for.

You're not going into a thread for let's say Mach Rider and saying ''Mach Rider is this and that and this why his chances are lower."

That's just the opposite of support. You can bring up things that are negative sure, but to go into a thread and deliberately attempt multiple times to start a discourse bring up the negative is no longer supporting. It's just being a troll whether you meant to or not in a support thread.
To clarify, I'm not supporting the way hydra conducted themselves on the last page, but I am saying that a healthy discourse is necessary for speculation. That doesn't mean I'm saying it's ok to pop into a thread just to tell people they've got no chance. That's not what discourse means.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
IF they decide to end Ultimate DLC after the last two Pass characters. Remember, there’s 31 datamined general character slots (accounting for alternate forms like Alph, Koopalings or the other Heroes, or even alternate costumes like Joker’s school uniform) and 16 WoL character slots (that don’t account for alts). PP, Joker, Hero and Banjo fill up 4 of the WoL slots (Joker has an additional alt slot and Hero has three) and Pass Characters 4 and 5 will fill two more WoL slots (alts determinant) and it would feel like a bit of a waste to not use the remaining 10 WoL spots (alt slots determinant). Also once again remember Sakurai is focusing his efforts on Ultimate ONLY this time around. With 4, it was TWO DIFFERENT GAMES on TWO DIFFERENT PLATFORMS and he had to make sure everything worked on both.
I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying that Sakurai will stop at two characters, I'm saying that people will still use "Spirits deconfirm characters" argument for the next game if there are only two dlc characters left, regardless if one of them was a spirit before.

I hope I've made myself clear because I'm incredibly bad at doing that. (No sarcasm intended)

how many music tracks do you think Geno will come with? Personally, I'm thinking 10 minimum this time
I'm just going to say two because it just seems like a consistent pattern with Square Enix at this point. I'm going to say that the music tracks will be:

Lost forest
The battle theme

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Frankly, I think you can make jokes about anything. Also, I don't think this was a joke: I think he was implying that Teamo Screamo over here LOOKS like a bunch of people who either aren't using their brains or that their brains aren't quite up to par with others. I can feel that sentiment based on their design: they are perfect PG example of what happens when people go too far for something they love.
[/SPOILER]
My stance is just because you can make a joke about anything doesn't mean you should and doesn't absolve you of being called out for saying something offensive or in poor taste. Which it is. And if it wasn't a joke then it was just an unnecessarily ****ty/edgy comment to make when he could have expressed his distaste in a different way and still gotten the point across. I get that you are ok with using the R-word to describe things or use in a joking matter but the common consensus in society is that it's just a ****ty and ignorant thing to do because it's dehumanizing to people. He didn't use the R-word, but it's still fundamentally the same intent. If you're not ok with people making ****ty comments/jokes about people who are of different races or lgbt then I don't see why making ****ty comments/jokes about people with developmental disabilities is ok. It's just a double standard.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
When they take out the core aspect of why people love Pokemon, people start looking for reasons why that's the case and when the Pokemon company say they did for improvements and if they do not look like improvements, that's when people have a problem.

I hope that has given you a bit more insight as to why people complain about Sword & Shields other stuff.
Personally they can do whatever they want with the game because I can't be bothered to care about Pokemon anymore after the direction they're going in.
Oh no I totally understand and actually very much agree with the negativity towards Pokemon as of late. I was trying to say that the actual Pokemon designs are actually really great so far imo for gen 8 and I don't understand that hate for that specifically. I will say the core is not "gotta catch em all" it's the Pokemon (specifically new ones or stat changes, new moves, new abilities, etc for old Pokemon) And the Pokemon of gen 8 and Galarian forms look just fine to me. If we want to complain about Dexit or dynamaxing or just general quality decline of Pokemon as a series over time compared to other series and such then I'll jump on the negativity bandwagon. Believe me I have plenty of insight into the matter because I very much care about my Pokemon games.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, first of all, the 29 ID slots should not be confused with the 16 WOL slots. The latter are for characters, the former includes characters and alts.

Second of all,

I hope I've made myself clear because I'm incredibly bad at doing that. (No sarcasm intended)

I'm just going to say two because it just seems like a consistent pattern with Square Enix at this point. I'm going to say that the music tracks will be:

Lost forest
The battle theme
I RELATE TO THIS SO MUCH. I can't tell you how often people misunderstand me outside of here, at times.

But yeah, I can live with this, especially seeing how Square likely wouldn't think that Mario needs much more content.

Third of all, it's now obvious that the Pokémon info got nothing to do with the bird, so it's back to the waiting game at this stage.

Fourth of all, I'm not exactly sure how some cheerleaders are going to be compelling after following up Team Skull and the Aether Foundation. That's one tough act to follow.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Hm, seems like I'm not on the Pokémon negativity bandwagon, or at least, not much.

I don't find these designs to be masterpieces, but they aren't insulting either. But then again, I had a leak telling me a bunch of this stuff, then there's the whole thing about including all pokémon being actually problematic (basically the Ask a Game Dev blog that maybe some may remember), and the fact that I've been honestly too angry about this franchise in general (games, anime and manga enrage me in ways you cannot imagine) to spend more of it in such innocent trailer.

StarLight42

Smash Lord

GameXplain’s Jon brings up an interesting point when talking about Geno. He explains how Square Enix may not actually be the obstacle here like most of us think, and the ball is actually on Nintendo’s side of the court.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

GameXplain’s Jon brings up an interesting point when talking about Geno. He explains how Square Enix may not actually be the obstacle here like most of us think, and the ball is actually on Nintendo’s side of the court.
That would stand to reason, considering Nintendo was the one who decided on the dlc

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's like I've been saying; each character that's added from a company removes one barrier for the ones to follow. Hero in particular must have been like taking down a whole dam, seeing how that would be nearly impossible a feat to overlook.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

You honestly can't get me to believe that Nintendo was more then willing to get Joker with no benefit to them but turn down a mario character time and time again

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

So then it might actually happen, because one of the biggest arguments was "THERES NO WAY SQUARE IS GONNA LET SAKURAI MAKE GENO"

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
You honestly can't get me to believe that Nintendo was more then willing to get Joker with no benefit to them but turn down a mario character time and time again
Also, although Sakurai swore that Nintendo picked the DLC, there’s a lot going around that says Sakurai himself pushed for Joker and Persona content in Smash. I’m unsure of what his current stance on Geno is, but if it’s still positive, things may look good here.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I guess the music track thing was redundant to discuss then
I sympathize. I brought something up a while back right before or after someone did the pie vs cake thing and basically no one noticed my post. When the thread moves fast I unlucky timing is a legit thing.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Just popping in here to say that Galarian Weezing is officially the greatest thing ever and I will definitely be using it on my team.

Alright, carry on.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I have no doubt in my mind that Square Enix would let Nintendo use Geno but I kind of find it hard to believe that Nintendo is the one calling the shots on that front. I'm willing to bet that Square Enix would only let Sakurai make Geno into a playable fighter only if they advertise Dragon Quest XI S for them and make the heroes playable characters in Smash.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would laugh so much if this is what was being foreshadowed, so many of us were sure that Suda deconfirmed Travis himself. :laugh:

I have no doubt in my mind that Square Enix would let Nintendo use Geno but I kind of find it hard to believe that Nintendo is the one calling the shots on that front. I'm willing to bet that Square Enix would only let Sakurai make Geno into a playable fighter only if they advertise Dragon Quest XI S for them and make the heroes playable characters in Smash.
Makes sense, a quid pro quo. It'd be no wonder why the marketing for that game has been so aggressive as the year went along.

Last edited:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Wasn’t there some “female character with a flying weapon” next leak? I don’t know this franchise, so does Juliet fit that?
I'm certain that was just a hoax. The guy spend way too much time saying specific details about the character to where no one makes sense (Also said he saw a model without a face, that's not how it works). Also it's a Female FIGHTING game character. I don't think Juliet fits a flying weapon. If you were to put a female fighting game character in Smash it would be Chun-Li. Morrigan could fit this but...why? Darkstalkers is pretty dead. So I think this leak just is senseless. The guy didn't predict much at all anyway. Lolipop Chainsaw is not that notable of a franchise to include of Smash as of now.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Also, Sakurai is good friends with Suda51.

Sorry folks, but you might have to prepare if this is the outcome. Just sharing a possible thing it could be, no negativity intended

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pretty sure that 1) a chainsaw doesn't fly and 2) that leak is almost certainly a fake rumor.

It'd be bleeding weird to have Juliet Starling when Suda clearly wanted to see Travis included more. I mean, what would even be the obstacle?

Also, Sakurai is good friends with Suda51.

Sorry folks, but you might have to prepare if this is the outcome. Just sharing a possible thing it could be, no negativity intended
I did want to see Travis, to be fair. Also, this thread is used to being let down all the time, what matters is whether more DLC gets approved later on.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
My stance is just because you can make a joke about anything doesn't mean you should and doesn't absolve you of being called out for saying something offensive or in poor taste. Which it is. And if it wasn't a joke then it was just an unnecessarily ****ty/edgy comment to make when he could have expressed his distaste in a different way and still gotten the point across. I get that you are ok with using the R-word to describe things or use in a joking matter but the common consensus in society is that it's just a ****ty and ignorant thing to do because it's dehumanizing to people. He didn't use the R-word, but it's still fundamentally the same intent. If you're not ok with people making ****ty comments/jokes about people who are of different races or lgbt then I don't see why making ****ty comments/jokes about people with developmental disabilities is ok. It's just a double standard.
Personally, I take the George Carlin approach: anything can be humorous, it's all about delivery.

I think his comment was similar to the one that SSGuy made when he had to take an L for the whole autism thing: this person was upset with the designs and used a word that some people think is inappropriate to describe how he felt.

A personal example: when I was growing up as a teen and even into my early twenties, I used to say "Well that's gay." in response to something negative, like someone having a bad day or something didn't go right like McDonald's got their order wrong. I picked it up from someone else and it was just something I said. Did that mean I found gay people to be a bad thing? No (although I will say that in years before that I did, thanks Christian upbringing! :upsidedown:), it was literally just my version of "Well, that sucks!." I remember being in my local card shop and being pulled aside by staff because I offended one of the workers there who was a gay guy. I was pissed that the whole situation even happened because I have nothing against gay people, but suddenly I have to change how I talk because someone was overly sensitive and assumed something about me? Couldn't they just come to me personally and we could talk it out so they would know when I say "Well, that was gay!" that it didn't mean anything against them?

No, I'm the bad guy and I have to stop doing it because I could hurt someone's feelings. I eventually stopped saying it as frequently, but not for the reason: it just fell out of my common phrases as other phrases I liked took root. I rarely have it pop out randomly, but I'll never say I was sorry for it because it doesn't mean anything bad. This is why I think, as a society in the US, we are too focused on making others bend to our whims and wills instead of doing self-reflection: why force others to change when we can change ourselves to be better? Why do you have to place it on the customer to stop saying a phrase that means nothing because your employee can't be bothered to not feel threatened or offended by insignificant things when that customer literally knows nothing about that employee and clearly isn't there to offend them? Now if I had responded with "Oh, he's a f*****, well **** him then! What a freak of nature!" then I could understand some concern and I would hope they would ask me to leave at that point.

Oh, right, Geno Thread!

Uh
Uh
Uh

I know! Here's some badass Geno art!

1565201029811.png

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Juliet Starling is the deepest of reaches I've ever seen so far.

Lollipop Chainsaw isn't even on the big side of cult hit. It's SUPER small. People barely ever discuss it anymore.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
You know, I've been looking at highly requested characters from my friends, and basically everyone of them except three (they don't know who Geno is) had Geno as one of their ultimate picks.

Alongside Doomguy.

I mean, Doomguy is badass, and I think he fits well in Doom.
But... in smash? Wouldn't some kid get curious about this newcomer in a Rated E for everyone game and look them up, only to find vicious blood drenching viscera every three seconds of footage?

Ah, what am I saying, we've got Ridley and Bayonetta. :mybodyisreggie:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Pretty sure that 1) a chainsaw doesn't fly and 2) that leak is almost certainly a fake rumor.

It'd be bleeding weird to have Juliet Starling when Suda clearly wanted to see Travis included more. I mean, what would even be the obstacle?

I did want to see Travis, to be fair. Also, this thread is used to being let down all the time, what matters is whether more DLC gets approved later on.
Oh, I thought Juliet’s franchise predated No More heroes

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I doubt Square would give Nintendo much trouble over using Geno - after all, they seemed compliant with Sakurai in using one of their own Final Fantasy characters. They only seemed surprised that he wanted to go with Cloud Strife instead of somebody from a more recent title which they suggested. The fact that Sakurai was able to even bring some of the Dragon Quest protagonists together for the first time in gaming history says a lot about what they're willing to give him to work with. I've always believed it's on the part of Nintendo and Sakurai ultimately calling the shots for who they desire to make the Smash roster. Square isn't calling the shots in a game they aren't developing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Someone is excited for a certain ice cream girl in a certain crossover fighting game I can easily presume.
Oh heck yeah I am. Decided to change my icon to the thing I was most happy with about EVO after all that negativity that happened, and this is what I found most applicable. I also feel the general mood of the art fits me more as a user as well.

Edit:
I mean...Joker getting in at all was pretty odd as well.
But he had no major competition that swamped him when it comes to fan requests and creator desire. Suda 51 has always voices his desire for Travis in Smash, and the fan followed him in that regard.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Suda51? Yeah, Nintendo calling. Just want to say how happy we are that you're supporting the Switch with not one but TWO No More Heroes games. Great stuff. Look, we'te putting together a DLC roster for Smash. Yes, the Smash. We like your work, kid. We really like the two games starring Travis Touchdown that you're putting on our console and we love how the character has a history with Nintendo. That's why we want Juliet Starling from Lollipop Chainsaw in Super Smash Bros Ultimate as DLC. What do you mean that doesn't make any sense? No, d-don't hang up!

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Honestly if some time traveller told me when Persona 5 came out that Joker will be in Smash 5 and won EVO I would be very confused. So yeah it's pretty odd.

However I think Juliet Starling coming before Travis makes even less sense, it would be like Conker being in before Banjo, despite Banjo being clearly more requested.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
August is going to be a long month I think ... Unless the Starling picture hopefully hints to some kind of Direct or something since it has been almost a month now when it was "released."

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, I thought Juliet’s franchise predated No More heroes
Honestly if some time traveller told me when Persona 5 came out that Joker will be in Smash 5 and won EVO I would be very confused. So yeah it's pretty odd.

However I think Juliet Starling coming before Travis makes even less sense, it would be like Conker being in before Banjo, despite Banjo being clearly more requested.
Also, Juliet and her game have never been on a Nintendo console, ever, while NMH was born on the Wii. Even Killer is Dead of all things got referenced in TSA, but not Lollipop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom