• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I liked all the new Pokémon stuff.

-Seemingly-Nuclear Dimmadome Weezing
-Punk-rock Zigzagoon
-Angry Hamsterdance
-Silly punk team
-More rivals
-Marnie

I do find Obstagoon questionable, though; I like it, but region-exclusive evolutions seem like a weird thing to do. I guess they could just put a Galarian Zigzagoon in one of the trades for the next game (like Alolan forms in Let's Go!), so we don't have to use Home, but of course we don't know what they'll do.

Anyway since the starling image is still going, and I don't see Starlow getting into Smash or her own game, my opinion on Geno's chances has gone up a bit.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Alright, here I come again being a big bad meanie.

People seriously brush aside the ‘spirits deconfirm’ argument as silly or inconsequential, but it appears to me that there’s a fundamental misunderstanding between parties what it’s based on.

Nobody is trying to make the argument that Geno or other spirits can’t be made into a character (or that ‘all work was thrown out the window’) just because ‘there’s already a .png lmao).

The idea is that Spirits more than likely are the final intended role of those characters. Sakurai said it himself, ‘no characters were added or removed from the project plan.’ Does it suck Waluigi and Isaac are Assists? Yes. Does it bite Geno, Bandana Dee and many others are possibly stuck as Spirits? Double yes. But that may be the position Sakurai felt was the most applicable for them. He didn’t do it maliciously, consideration went into the project plan and they were not characters he considered.

Especially when you look into the case of 3rd parties like Geno and Shantae, an agreement has to be reached between Nintendo and the third party in question how they can use the character, if Nintendo goes to Square Enid and we get Geno as a Spirit, then that may very well be all that Nintendo wanted, or all Square would allow.

I’m not trying to deconfirm Geno or stomp out hope, but please consider that being a Spirit may actually be a bigger obstacle than some of you purport it to be.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Let's discuss music for a moment, since Geno will undeniably come with music tracks should he be one of the remaining 2. The thing about Square is that according to a recent Sakurai column, Square was all too happy to allow DQ content into Smash. With Uematsu and Sugiyama proving to be a little stingy of their work, I don't think it will be an issue with Shimomura given her collaborations with the music teams for previous Smash games. My question to you is this: how many music tracks do you think Geno will come with? Personally, I'm thinking 10 minimum this time

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

People seriously brush aside the ‘spirits deconfirm’ argument as silly or inconsequential, but it appears to me that there’s a fundamental misunderstanding between parties what it’s based on.

Nobody is trying to make the argument that Geno or other spirits can’t be made into a character (or that ‘all work was thrown out the window’) just because ‘there’s already a .png lmao).

The idea is that Spirits more than likely are the final intended role of those characters. Sakurai said it himself, ‘no characters were added or removed from the project plan.’ Does it suck Waluigi and Isaac are Assists? Yes. Does it bite Geno, Bandana Dee and many others are possibly stuck as Spirits? Double yes. But that may be the position Sakurai felt was the most applicable for them. He didn’t do it maliciously, consideration went into the project plan and they were not characters he considered.

Especially when you look into the case of 3rd parties like Geno and Shantae, an agreement has to be reached between Nintendo and the third party in question how they can use the character, if Nintendo goes to Square Enid and we get Geno as a Spirit, then that may very well be all that Nintendo wanted, or all Square would allow.

I’m not trying to deconfirm Geno or stomp out hope, but please consider that being a Spirit may actually be a bigger obstacle than some of you purport it to be.
DLC wasn't part of the project plan, though; Sakurai didn't know about Nintendo's DLC plans until January of last year.

We know it's not because he's a png in the game, but it's possible Sakurai and his spirit team wanted Geno, Mallow, etc. as spirits in the game before DLC stuff started, and they decided to keep them. It's possible it happened before Nintendo started fully realizing their own plans as well, and even if not, they could've just gotten Geno as both a spirit and a DLC fighter if Sakurai wanted base-game stuff.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone have any ideas for what stage might come with geno and what might happen in them?
I want to say Geno's stage would be Bowser's Castle with Exor stabbing through it. It's a major set piece of Super Mario RPG that you get from the very beginning of the game, and surprisingly there really isn't a Bowser's Castle stage in Smash Bros. I feel that would be extremely fitting than Forest Maze.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

"I'm not trying to stomp out hope."

Proceeds to make long winded post doing exactly just that.

My bud, my dude, you literally came into a character support thread and in a round about way said ''Give up. He's a PNG they found in Google Images and nothing more."

Bob-Omber

Smash Cadet
In the corner drinking a frosty with a straw
I want to say Geno's stage would be Bowser's Castle with Exor stabbing through it. It's a major set piece of Super Mario RPG that you get from the very beginning of the game, and surprisingly there really isn't a Bowser's Castle stage in Smash Bros. I feel that would be extremely fitting than Forest Maze.
That seems pretty interesting and i agree that other areas from mario rpg could be a lot more interesting than just a forest.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey man I can understand not liking **** but maybe don’t make jokes about mental impairment. Just kind of makes you look ****ty than selling your argument.
Frankly, I think you can make jokes about anything. Also, I don't think this was a joke: I think he was implying that Teamo Screamo over here LOOKS like a bunch of people who either aren't using their brains or that their brains aren't quite up to par with others. I can feel that sentiment based on their design: they are perfect PG example of what happens when people go too far for something they love.

As Fatmanonice said earlier, at least from how he worded it, apparently the starling hint was (as said by the NoA guy) nothing related to Pokemon, indeed. I'm very curios, even though I have my expectations tempered and am not expecting Geno out of it. Very intredasting.

(Also, Morpeko is cute and I will fight whoever disagrees. Not... so big on those Galarian forms, though...)
I'm not a fan of the Galarian forms either. The problem for me is that, while Kanto and Johto could use the changes with region forms to spice them up to make them better Pokemon, Hoenn is my favorite region. This means that I will heavily scrutinize changes to Hoenn Pokemon. So far, they made Zigzagoon and Linoone prankster hooligan looking Pokemon instead of just wild animals and gave them a new evolution that completely removes the quadrupedal aspect for a Pokemon line that has been around since the early 2000s. Knowing this and that both the Galarian Forms and likely any evolution based off them will not show up in newer titles...I couldn't care less.

The Weezing design makes me openly laugh at how dumb and goofy it looks. The Hamtaro-wannabe is cute and I love that GameFreak basically acknowledged a meme with it, but that won't be enough to swoon $60-$120 from me, which would actually be more because I'd have to buy a Switch.

Not sure if if the name is pronounced BEED, BEID, BUHDE or BETTY but it seems like a typical 'I'm-better-than-you' snarky design. Hopefully the attitude actually comes with it and Bede is prominent so young trainers today know what it's like to have someone better than them who's a piece of work about it. However I doubt this because Pokemon keeps making things easier for the kids, so they will probably end up being the strong silent type so as to not hurt their fee-fees. Marnie's design is kinda okay for me, but I always like punk/goth designs, so I'm biased and will admit that. Teamo Screamo though...

I love that it's basically a toxic fanbase that is harassing a trainer because of how kind of woke it is (I hate that term, but it genuinely applies here) but I'm not interested in them at all and their designs make me want to punch them in the throat while puking.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I get that I gave some praise to Sw/Sh. You should have seen me early on when I was blind to everything and that Sw/Sh were godlike very early on. I was saying the same things so many people are now, but I woke up and realized that Pokemon just doesn't have as much polish and quality as it did back when systems were lesser. GameFreak doesn't care anymore, The Pokemon Company doesn't care enough to make SURE that GameFreak produces a quality game...this leaves Nintendo to respond depending on the sales and the backlash. Nintendo is the majority shareholder of Pokemon, so if Nintendo glowers at TPC and says "Ya know, we've been working REALLY hard to make sure our AAA titles for Switch look absolutely amazing AND either drastically change things or give the consumers what they want. This ain't it chief, and you are kinda making us look bad...GET ON IT!" then maybe something would change. I'm really hoping that the sales are actually much less than the general decline Pokemon gets, and I'm hoping that Pokemon YTbers who review the game are 100% honest about the game's shortcomings. TPC and GF NEED to step it up.

But coming back from that tangent, I want you guys to see my praises and understand something: you can like things about something you mostly dislike or have some positive things to say about something you find bad overall. I know most of the people here have that much common sense, but you would be surprised in this day and age. However, this is exactly what companies do: if they can't grab you overall, they will drop something that you have a strong connection with. That's why even if Farfetch'd gets a new evolution or Castform gets a new evolution or any other old-school 'Mon I care about gets something like this, I still won't buy the game. First off, if they look anything like what we've been given to far, I'll probably hate it. Second, I'm not going to let GameFreak trick me into supporting this lackluster game.

It's called having standards and sticking to your guns.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

And consider that we’ve considered it and consider it silly :)

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
"I'm not trying to stomp out hope."

Proceeds to make long winded post doing exactly just that.

My bud, my dude, you literally came into a character support thread and in a round about way said ''Give up. He's a PNG they found in Google Images and nothing more."
And good to know you can’t even actually read the argument I made. I’d be really happy for you guys if Geno made it in but your general insistence on ignoring genuine things that may be in the way of that makes it taxing to do so.

T2by4

Smash Lord
DLC wasn't part of the project plan, though; Sakurai didn't know about Nintendo's DLC plans until January of last year.

We know it's not because he's a png in the game, but it's possible Sakurai and his spirit team wanted Geno, Mallow, etc. as spirits in the game before DLC stuff started, and they decided to keep them. It's possible it happened before Nintendo started fully realizing their own plans as well, and even if not, they could've just gotten Geno as both a spirit and a DLC fighter if Sakurai wanted base-game stuff.
'DLC wasn't part of the project plan."

That makes it even worse for Geno tbh.

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
Hangry boy is perfect and probably the only design from this showcase that I like... although I do see dapper top hat Dimmadome Weezing growing on me...

Zigzagoon's line, though, ugh. Zig itself is fine, I guess, but just... why? Why would you do that? What have you cretins done to my babies :upsidedown:

As for the starling thing, I'm personally not thinking much about it. The suspicious lack of a Mii costume, considering the unique circumstances behind Geno's, is what has me lifting a brow. I don't care if finding its omission odd makes me seem 'delusional' or 'like I'm reaching'. I can't deny how strange that is, even if it leads into nothing.
Dimmadome Weezing? You mean the BONG POKEMON????

And also... the starling thing doesn't do much for me, but the specific music tracks being highlighted, the missing Mii costumes, the whispers from notable Smash leakers, the little nods from Nintendo lining up.... that stuff has definitely got me concerned...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And good to know you can’t even actually read the argument I made. I’d be really happy for you guys if Geno made it in but your general insistence on ignoring genuine things that may be in the way of that makes it taxing to do so.
Oh, I read it. But I saw through your intent. You don't come into a support thread and say things that are deliberately trying to drown out any optimism what so ever.

The situation is dire enough without people coming into to tell them ''Oh, woe is you. You're just a glorified sticker."

Support threads are to support the character, not say stuff that is contradictory to supporting them. Which is what you did.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Wait, how?

It's literally a case of Sakurai not being able to make Geno for the base game because of likely Square and Cloud being in the base, then working with them to get Hero because Japan and all the crazy first-time moments Sakurai got to have by putting DQ Crew in Smash. Geno never had a chance in the base roster. DLC gives him a huge chance.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Apparently Sword/Shield's tree textures were updated as well, though I'm not sure what the source was; I guess one of the Pokémon employees, named Joe or
James, idk, forgot his last name; maybe the new designer, James Turner, not sure. Not like it was major anyway, though I understand where people are coming from regarding Game Freak. Still seems like quality so far.

Honestly most of the textures and stuff seem pretty good imo. No National Dex sucks, but I didn't really care much for that anyway. It will suck for people whose favorites don't get in, though...

How so? If DLC was planned from the start, then spirits disconfirm would seem like a better argument imo.

Last edited:

zippyskipy

Smash Cadet
Ok forgive me for this absolute ramble I'm about to go on but I think I've figured out what's been bugging me about Obstagoon's design

Like the top half is a good boy! Nastiest boy! Love the weird jagged diamondy pattern. It all melds together really well.
But the bottom half is like... Weird lanky boy. Not very Linoon-y and leaves it feeling kind of top heavy?

But idk I feel like there's a sweetspot between linoone upgrade and aging rockstar they juuuust missed. So I tried my hand at a shoddy edit in which I try to make him a bit more of a longboy to fit with the rest of the line better, in my opinion

So I guess in conclusion I feel much the same about Obstagoon as I do the games themselves. There's a lot of really great choices! Mainly in the designs department, but they're there and I want to love it so badly!! But there's also a lot of just, really weird and janky choices that I don't quite care for... And even worse there's a whole other chunk that feels completely missing. It had the potential to be my favorite but now its just "pretty ok, I guess".

...Or I'm completely wrong and my opinion is dumb and doesn't matter! Your choice, really.

But uh, yeah thank you for your time, I'll try not to drone on about Pokemon in the Geno thread too much here on out, unless you guys want to talk about which Pokemon Geno would be or use on his team or something :p

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Oh, I read it. But I saw through your intent. You don't come into a support thread and say things that are deliberately trying to drown out any optimism what so ever.

The situation is dire enough without people coming into to tell them ''Oh, woe is you. You're just a glorified sticker."

Support threads are to support the character, not say stuff that is contradictory to supporting them. Which is what you did.
Plenty of you guys who even are supporters do a damn fine job of dredging each other through the mud and heralding the end of days. I can give a concise, emotionless statement about things that may bar entry. If you aren’t willing to accept challenges to the thought that your character is guaranteed you should chill out and reevaluate how you perceive online discourse.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

Nobody's denying this possibility. But there's a pretty prevalent problem where people come in here and assume that because people have a positive attitude, that means they assume their character is a lock. That simply isn't the case. Until we've got a hard deconfirmation from the big man himself, we have little recourse but to continue speculation as if the character is still a possibility. Surely you'll forgive us if we're sick of hearing the same thing ad-nauseam.
But in case there's any misconception, allow me to set the record straight here and now.
No, we don't believe that geno is a lock.
Yes, it is entirely possible that he was only ever going to be a spirit from the start.
No, we aren't going to stop speculating because of this.

An addendum: opening your post with the anticipation of a childish reaction is both condescending as hell, and a poor way to open discourse

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Plenty of you guys who even are supporters do a damn fine job of dredging each other through the mud and heralding the end of days. I can give a concise, emotionless statement about things that may bar entry. If you aren’t willing to accept challenges to the thought that your character is guaranteed you should chill out and reevaluate how you perceive online discourse.
You can use all the big words you want, you can try to make yourself sound smarter, you can try to say ''You guys do it to each other." but the truth is you don't like that you came into a support thread and said something that is negative against his chances and someone called you out on it.

You are in a SUPPORT thread for Geno. Either support him because we don't need discourse. We need support. If you want to talk about his chances or lack there of you can do that in any of the other countless threads that do this on Smashboards.

But at this time. Reminder: You are in a SUPPORT thread.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Not necessarily if fighter #4 is from one of the spirits in WOL ... That would immediately break the "rule." It only takes one to break it.
Sure it could but since all we know we're getting is two more characters with one or two who was/were already spirits, they decide to end Ultimate DLC, next game comes out, the new trophies or spirits thing comes out and there are characters there, it'll just happen again because it's a new game.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
valid opinion and much cooler Obstagon design
See, that is one of the things people keep getting wrong about those of us who aren't getting Sw/Sh: they keep thinking we think the game is awful.

No, we don't think it's awful, we think it's mediocre at best. We know that there is a lack of priority and caring from the developers and it shows.

For me, it's like KH3: it wasn't bad, it was just okay. Decent. And the problem was, the game had every reason to be GREAT! This is the same thing.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
You can use all the big words you want, you can try to make yourself sound smarter, you can try to say ''You guys do it to each other." but the truth is you don't like that you came into a support thread and said something that is negative against his chances and someone called you out on it.

You are in a SUPPORT thread for Geno. Either support him because we don't need discourse. We need support. If you want to talk about his chances or lack there of you can do that in any of the other countless threads that do this on Smashboards.

Did I say I don’t want him? Did I say he absolutely won’t be in? Did I ever say wanting him was a bad idea, or that by wanting him you were a worse person?

No. I simply contributed to a discussion topic at hand. If you think I’m attacking the character just because I didn’t directly say I want him (when you can easily look through my post history and see I’ve shown support for the idea of Geno making it in), you need to grow up.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Source on that? Because if they are all third parties, they would have to have negotiated for them all and that isn¨t just a handshake and there's that.

Dynamic Worlok

It's perfectly fine to discuss a character's chances in a support thread, my guy

Firox

Smash Master
I gotta say, I ****ing lied. My favorite piece of non-canon Mario RPG content is this short comic series called Star Road Crusaders. Where they put the mario RPGs and gurren lagann in a blender and hit puree. It helps that the artist is good as hell. If you aren't clicking the link by now, there's something wrong with you.
https://tapas.io/episode/726088
Two things:

1) Anything with Gurren Lagann in it is BADASS AF in my book.
2) They made Rosalina freaking HOT in that picture!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sure it could but since all we know we're getting is two more characters with one or two who was/were already spirits, they decide to end Ultimate DLC, next game comes out, the new trophies or spirits thing comes out and there are characters there, it'll just happen again because it's a new game.
IF they decide to end Ultimate DLC after the last two Pass characters. Remember, there’s 31 datamined general character slots (accounting for alternate forms like Alph, Koopalings or the other Heroes, or even alternate costumes like Joker’s school uniform) and 16 WoL character slots (that don’t account for alts). PP, Joker, Hero and Banjo fill up 4 of the WoL slots (Joker has an additional alt slot and Hero has three) and Pass Characters 4 and 5 will fill two more WoL slots (alts determinant) and it would feel like a bit of a waste to not use the remaining 10 WoL spots (alt slots determinant). Also once again remember Sakurai is focusing his efforts on Ultimate ONLY this time around. With 4, it was TWO DIFFERENT GAMES on TWO DIFFERENT PLATFORMS and he had to make sure everything worked on both.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It's perfectly fine to discuss a character's chances in a support thread, my guy
Exactly. Just because you want him doesn¨t mean you can¨t "have you thought of X, Y or Z," for then later have the answer of "have you thought of R, E, and H". As long as the language is civil a discussion on how it looks are healthier for the board as a whole.

Firox

Smash Master
Also, I'm kinda out of the loop right now, but from what I've gathered, we've confirmed that the Starling had nothing to do with Pokemon, correct? If so, I'm feeling pretty positive. All I need now is the announcement of another Nintendo Direct within the next couple of weeks and I'll be in full hype mode.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Source on that? Because if they are all third parties, they would have to have negotiated for them all and that isn¨t just a handshake and there's that.
They could negotiate for all of them before November of last year, just have multiple teams or something, and Sakurai can take his own time meeting with devs and such. Negotiations can take just a month, apparently Microsoft was very easy to work with for Banjo-Kazooie.

Source for when Sakurai knew about DLC (it's somewhere down the list):
https://nintendoeverything.com/smash-bros-masahiro-sakurai-no-goku-ballot/

Source for Microsoft being easy to work with:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ooie_in_smash_bros_ultimate_came_quite_easily

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This isn't discussing his chances. You come in and word that you're going to be the big old meanie (even jokingly), then specify you don't want to douse hopes (even jokingly).

You are not coming to discuss in a meaningful manner. You are just here to fish for discourse and drudge up tired old crap that has been discussed ad nauseum.

I'm sorry I'm not going to support someone trying to do what that user is doing. Everyone here knows better than to go into a thread for a character and basically try to tell it's users it's never going to happen for them in a round about way. That is deliberately not what a support thread is for.

Especially if all you can do in a support thread for a character is bring up the negatives against them. That is the exact opposite of support.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
The "Spirits Deconfirm A BASE Fighter" is indeed valid, since that is what happened!

However, we are talking about DLC fighters POST lock of the base roster (decided back in 2014-2015).

Not saying it is going to happen when it comes to examples like Geno who has a spirit ... but applying that rule for DLC is not a lock like it was for the base roster, which again, was decided years ago.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
They could negotiate for all of them before November of last year, just have multiple teams or something, and Sakurai can take his own time meeting with devs and such. Negotiations can take just a month, apparently Microsoft was very easy to work with for Banjo-Kazooie.

Source for when Sakurai knew about DLC (it's somewhere down the list):
https://nintendoeverything.com/smash-bros-masahiro-sakurai-no-goku-ballot/

Source for Microsoft being easy to work with:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ooie_in_smash_bros_ultimate_came_quite_easily
I knew about Microsoft being easy to work with the part. And huh... them going behind his back when it comes to planning DLC? I did not expect that from Nintendo concidering Sakurai should be someone they want to be on as good terms on as possible.

Dynamic Worlok

This isn't discussing his chances. You come in and word that you're going to be the big old meanie (even jokingly), then specify you don't want to douse hopes (even jokingly).

You are not coming to discuss in a meaningful manner. You are just here to fish for discourse and drudge up tired old crap that has been discussed ad nauseum.

I'm sorry I'm not going to support someone trying to do what that user is doing. Everyone here knows better than to go into a thread for a character and basically try to tell it's users it's never going to happen for them in a round about way. That is deliberately not what a support thread is for.

Especially if all you can do in a support thread for a character is bring up the negatives against them. That is the exact opposite of support.
In your own words "we don't need discourse"
This is all part in parcel for the while speculation gig. We take what little clues we have and consider how they fit into this whole smash DLC puzzle. The issue here is that people bring it up every couple pages like we don't already know.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
In your own words "we don't need discourse"
This is all part in parcel for the while speculation gig. We take what little clues we have and consider how they fit into this whole smash DLC puzzle. The issue here is that people bring it up every couple pages like we don't already know.
Discourse is not for support threads though friend. That's what Rate Their Chances, etc, etc is for.

You're not going into a thread for let's say Mach Rider and saying ''Mach Rider is this and that and this why his chances are lower."

That's just the opposite of support. You can bring up things that are negative sure, but to go into a thread and deliberately attempt multiple times to start a discourse bring up the negative is no longer supporting. It's just being a troll whether you meant to or not in a support thread.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
The "Spirits Deconfirm A BASE Fighter" is indeed valid, since that is what happened!

However, we are talking about DLC fighters POST lock of the base roster (decided back in 2014-2015).

Not saying it is going to happen when it comes to examples like Geno who has a spirit ... but applying that rule for DLC is not a lock like it was for the base roster, which again, was decided years ago.
Exactly.

I’m sorry, but it Sakurai really wanted to include Geno (and we know he at least likes Geno and thinks he fits in Smash), I really don’t think he’s going to have the mindset of “well he’s already a PNG image so that can’t happen”

I highly doubt DLC and Spirit plans were created alongside eachother. In fact, the game probably went gold around a month or two before it was actually released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom