• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
Just checked on Wayback Machine. The "New" icon on the Fighters button was removed between July 28th and yesterday.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Just checked on Wayback Machine. The "New" icon on the Fighters button was removed between July 28th and yesterday.
It was there before the presentation yesterday

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I would find it hard to believe Nintendo wouldn't announce anything before/during/end of EVO. The audience is there and watching. It would be a missed opportunity if they didn't. Not saying exactly what should be announced, but at least something.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The removal of the new icon on fighters but NOT on stages and how to play is... very interesting. It's not like we just got a new stage without a fighter. Does the stages thing also include Stage Builder or what?

Also, who wants a tinfoil hat theory? I have one, so get your aluminum foil ready!

What if Geno is going to be bonus DLC, but he was planned later down the line? Sakurai saw the surplus of time + funds and the fact that they already had Geno's rights for the spirits and costume, so he negotiated with Square to get him in without a stage or possibly music. As a result, he pulled the Geno Mii costume from the DQ costume pool. Chocobo's was also removed because it'll just be packaged with Geno's release. maybe along with some other missing costumes (Jacky and Akira? Straw hat?) or some new SMRPG ones. People who bought the whole Fighter's Pass from jump get him as a bonus, whereas the people who didn't buy the whole pass have to buy him separately. It'd also explain why the DQ pack conspicuously is missing two slots compared to Joker's full six.

Eh? Ehhh?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bonus seems like such a weird expectation. Is this really the only way to bring up the possibility of further DLC anymore? Not shocked, seeing as most people don't remotely believe that a second pass would be considered even once.

Heck, the DLC round started with a bonus character, so what does that make the FP? :ultpiranha:

I would find it hard to believe Nintendo wouldn't announce anything before/during/end of EVO. The audience is there and watching. It would be a missed opportunity if they didn't. Not saying exactly what should be announced, but at least something.
Especially since Sony should apparently be showing up there.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm a little hesitant to believe in bonus DLC right now since we don't know who characters 4 and 5 are just yet. If we do get a character announcement, it will be #4. The evidence is potentially pointing at Geno being 4.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I've been giving it some thought about how many of us just mere days ago would have been okay with the return of the Mii Costume over nothing (not me, of course, but many others) and how funny it is that because of a dude who posts pics of otters on Twitter and a mysterious figure took a picture of a bird, many of those here who would have thought that 'No Mii Costumes = Wow, Geno is just a Spirit/Fighter Icon, time to fight for Smash 6 I guess' are now bouncing off the walls with anticipation. I'm just trying to look at this from an outsider's view and I think they would think we are not only a little looney but also bipolar af!

On top of all this, a lot of people kept mentioning Geno as bonus DLC. This REALLY irritated me, but I kept mostly silent about it. It's kinda like the Pokemon Sword/Shield debacle with 'Why would you accept less? Why not fight for more, for what you truly want?' kinda thing. What I mean is, people were SO okay with just a Mii Costume or just Geno and nothing else, and here I am being like "Uh, **** all that noise, I want Geno with his Classic Mode and Special Spirit Board and like half the tracks of SMRPG with some of them being remixed by the Great Goddess of Video Game Music Yoko Shimomura herself and like six Mii Costumes that are all characters from SMRPG and his own stage that is absolutely badass and references the game and has characters involved with the stage and the background and literally anything else Sakurai feels like giving me."

Call me greedy or entitled or whatever you want, I just know I've been waiting for this character's return off and on since before my age had two digits in it and that I feel like our love for him and our dedication is worth more than a 'bonus character'. Though, if he was bonus DLC, I guess that would me we...Got A Freebie?

You could also call me crazy, because the second it's clear to me that Geno is coming, I'm going from your average joe to someone who is immediately willing to through down $450+ because a ****ing puppet with orange hair curls and a blue hat and cape showed up on my screen. WHAT SANE PERSON WOULD DO THAT?!

This reminds me: someone complimented me on my meme post, and I want to say thank you, but I can't find that compliment post. I'm blind as hell, so whoever you were, if you find this I'm very grateful!

The last time we had a "realistic" roster leak, it had Steve and Doomguy in it.

To those fakers; Fool me once, I'm mad, fool me twice, how could you, fool me three times, you're officially that person, okay?
One could assume these fakes get their suits from Giorgio Armani because their dad knows them.

I hate to be that guy considering I've been a part of this fanbase since the Brawl days, but this doesn't mean anything. All it means is we're not getting the Mii costume (at least for now). Don't say stuff like "he's confirmed" because this honestly changes nothing. >__> Maybe Sakurai thought the Mii costume was tacky as hell and didn't want it to return and frankly I'm in the same boat.

It's still intriguing non-the-less but please keep your hype in check. I know we'd all love to see Geno become playable but don't get your hopes up over this.
You're right: I need to make sure my hype is in check.

Hey Brain! Is the hype still over 9000?

Brain, where everything is on fire: NO MII COSTUME! EVO IS THIS WEEKEND! BIRDS! OTTERS! CHAOS! ANARCHY! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH~!!!

Yep, seems about right where it should be!

It's literally irrelevant, people are just grasping at straws.
Except those in California.

I really don't care about any consequences of being negative. Sure I may sound like an *******, but it honestly doesn't matter what I say. So I rather keep my mindset of nothing is going to happen for any particular character in the DLC run. I believe in nothing.
Then I hope you really don't care that I will continue to ignore most of your posts. I don't have time to dilly-dally with a Negative Nancy when I'm just barely outrunning The Abyss on a daily basis. This is one of the few things I live for, and I'd rather ride together with my Geno Bros and potentially die together with my Geno Bros then never ride with anyone because there is a chance I might get disappointed. News Flash: the real world is mostly disappointing and you have to take solace in the small things that matter and make you smile or you WILL lose your mind.

Also I hope you aren't like this in real life, mainly because I wish no one ill-will and I know for a fact that if you are like this off-forum, it would very much hurt your social life.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Im still skeptical of Geno as an EVO announcement. Would it work? Isn’t that more suited for a Smash direct?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So guys, something unrelated to Smash but, still big that's going on right now; someone leaked the upcoming SFV dlc characters, and Mr. Wizard himself let know that he's pretty upset about that. :facepalm: Also, Capcom must be just as upset as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So guys, something unrelated to Smash but, still big that's going on right now; someone leaked the upcoming SFV dlc characters, and Mr. Wizard himself let know that he's pretty upset about that. :facepalm: Also, Capcom must be just as upset as well.
What did they do this time? It's hard to top the previous mess-ups in regards to SFV DLC.

Im still skeptical of Geno as an EVO announcement. Would it work? Isn’t that more suited for a Smash direct?
Considering that I almost gave up waiting for a Smash reveal at the VGAs, I can say that it's not too unlikely that they'd unveil a character at a big event.

And besides, EVO is actually related to fighting games and Smash is one, so...

Dan

Smash Lord
So a week or so ago people were talking about that suspiciously well done rendition of Beware the Forest's Mushrooms that people have been passing off as a "missing Brawl track" since 2008

It bothered me I couldn't find the original, but I believe I've managed to find the oldest version of it on the internet so far. Regarding the Forest Maze level itself, the Mario wiki says "The music of the Forest Maze is famous among players of the game, and was chosen as track four in the arranged version of the Super Mario RPG soundtrack."

Arranged version of the Super Mario RPG soundtrack?

Well I looked it up and an old video game soundtrack repository does indeed have a five-song arranged album of Super Mario RPG music, and Beware the Forest's Mushrooms is indeed track #4. The upload date on this site is November of 2006, a little over a year before Brawl was released. Unfortunately I have no idea if this is an official arrangement or what, as the site doesn't have any info and looking up "Super Mario RPG arranged soundtrack" mostly gives recent remixes or other things that are clearly fan-made

The quest continues for the origin of this song
That's really good work - so someone clearly just took it from KHinsider and it became famous. I doubt it's official.

D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet
with all these bird hints and renewed hope for Geno I drew this in preparation for Sunday/Evo. It's either going to age really well or really poorly and I definitely hope the former. Let's hope for the best come EVO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
You know what? Fine. I'll bite. I'll be back who knows when but I'm making something for the hype towards EVO, since I'll be traveling and out of town when EVO goes down.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think people underestimate just how big of a deal E-Sports have become. The industry is estimated to have a net worth of more than a billion by the end of this year, experiencing an almost 27 PERCENT GROWTH in the last year alone.

https://www.businessinsider.com/esports-revenue-billion-2019-2

Not making announcements at events like EVO is now practically on-par with outright insanity.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Where does that put Super Mario RPG? It's in such a weird legal gray area in terms of franchises.
It's technically been in Smash before, so I would theoretically guess it falls into the "not a new franchise" camp with the likes of Spirits already in the game at the time of The Game Awards based upon that assumption. Which would make sense because a lot of people don't really expect Geno in the Fighter's Pass specifically, but are more optimistic of his chances elsewhere or in the future.

It really blows my mind that we literally had what was long viewed as the unrealistic best case scenario (other than a straight up reveal trailer for Geno) happen yesterday and people are still finding ways to view it as a bad thing or coming up with convoluted reasons as to how we may get **** on in the end. I’m now convinced that the only way people here would guaranteed react in a not glass half empty way about things is an official confirmation.
The best case scenario was a neutral action, AKA the absence of the Mii Costume, which tells us nothing one way or the other. People can claim it was supposed to come back all they want til they're blue in the face, but that was never remotely a guarantee and easy wins have been missed at other opportunities in Nintendo's history as well. I don't view it as a bad thing that we got the costume back inherently on its own, for the time being it at least tells us that Geno isn't going to be out of the running (I will standby selling the Mii costume deconfirmed him for all in development plans) and that's certainly a good thing. But my contention is that it doesn't necessarily point us towards Geno's inclusion in the game anymore than any other thing really has in some time. It doesn't net Geno any points towards happening, but it also doesn't completely cripple him like it could have with a Mii costume reveal. So I view it as a neutral, albeit good outcome.

Again, show me something where Super Mario RPG is coming back in a bigger way, where Square Enix and Nintendo are partnering on a Mario RPG again, or some merchandise where Mario RPG plays a major role, or even a reference that runs to directly at least reference Geno/Mallow and not just Megasmilax which feels like reaching (Plus, Megasmilax is a Piranha Plant, so I'm not really sure that falls under Square Enix's license TBH). That's what I'm looking for to get on the hype train again, something tangible and large that actually has really solid reasoning to point towards Super Mario RPG. Cuphead coming to Switch was that moment for Banjo Kazooie, as was the fact that like 3 or 4 different types of merchandise started popping up with Banjo Kazooie. I'm looking for that big moment to sway me and it just hasn't happened yet. Like I said, I think it's a genuinely great thing the Geno Mii costume didn't show back up because he lives to potentially get in another day, but I'm not going to support YouTube copyright strikes, pretty distant references, and the picture of a bird to build my hype.

On top of all this, a lot of people kept mentioning Geno as bonus DLC. This REALLY irritated me, but I kept mostly silent about it. It's kinda like the Pokemon Sword/Shield debacle with 'Why would you accept less? Why not fight for more, for what you truly want?' kinda thing. What I mean is, people were SO okay with just a Mii Costume or just Geno and nothing else, and here I am being like "Uh, **** all that noise, I want Geno with his Classic Mode and Special Spirit Board and like half the tracks of SMRPG with some of them being remixed by the Great Goddess of Video Game Music Yoko Shimomura herself and like six Mii Costumes that are all characters from SMRPG and his own stage that is absolutely badass and references the game and has characters involved with the stage and the background and literally anything else Sakurai feels like giving me."

Call me greedy or entitled or whatever you want, I just know I've been waiting for this character's return off and on since before my age had two digits in it and that I feel like our love for him and our dedication is worth more than a 'bonus character'. Though, if he was bonus DLC, I guess that would me we...Got A Freebie?
I think you might need to learn to compromise a little. There's nothing less to accept other than no Geno Mii Costume like with Pokemon. If he's not a big enough priority to get a full range of content, so be it. Geno in Smash as a playable character is the goal and that alone would be more than most of us could even ask for, everything else is just extra (He'd come with a Classic Mode though, Piranha Plant despite no other content). The old adage is that beggars can't be choosers, and for all practical purposes, that's what we are with Geno. The fact of his playability would be enough proof of our dedication because he's literally dead forever without our support and forgotten to time. Geno in Smash matters most of all, and Cloud shows us that, yes, even just a tiny bit of content works just fine for representation. Would more be nice? Sure, but we have a main goal to get to first.

And I think by bonus, people just mean another fighter outside of the Fighter's Pass, not free. There's almost no chance we get a free Smash character this late in the game, let alone Geno who is stuck behind Square Enix's licensing.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Wouldn't evo be suited toward characters like Heihachi?

I want to have hope for Geno, but then I remember how soured I was after the Grinch leak.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
That's really good work - so someone clearly just took it from KHinsider and it became famous. I doubt it's official.
I found a forum post buried in the depths of Google. This guy David in 2011 claimed to have been in contact with whoever mixed the "Arranged Tracks" album together, saying they were VGMix (an ancient site by internet standards) remixes that he edited with transitions and put out as an album online. According to a Wikipedia article that existed in 2008, this was considered to have been official, albeit with no publishing details.

This was finally disputed in 2009 when was discovered that there was no actual evidence of a "Super Mario RPG Arranged Tracks" album ever having been published by NTT, who published the actual SMRPG soundtrack. To make matters more confusing, I found a weird post in a massive old game OST ripping thread complaining about the ebay price of Arranged Tracks, although I have never found a listing.

If this was a real album, it wouldn't have been too out of the ordinary. Star Fox had a few officially arranged songs as well, including this fantastic rendition of Corneria.

I think my quest ends here. I don't see any way to prove it one way or another, but I am leaning towards the album being fan-made.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Everyone remember, a character most likely won’t be revealed AT Evo. I tend to expect more of an “announcement of an announcement” at Evo if we’re going to get something.

link2702

Smash Champion
So yeah after having the “pleasure” of running into hero players today...

Yeah he definitely seems op as hell. Even without the rng on his smashes they’re still ridiculously powerful...but it’s not even his smashes that are what really makes him such a nightmare, it’s his giant fireball and lightning specials, they have such insane knockback (mostly the fireball...) that they can take out a heavy at fairly low damage.

Seriously what was sakurai thinking giving this guy a projectile that Does damage like a warlock punch and almost as much knockback, AND it’s a multi hit? Not even mentioned the size of the thing.

While his down special is annoying sometimes, it actually isn’t too terrifying. The rng is annoying though.

But honestly it’s just mostly those damn neutral and side specials, they really didn't test these moves enough.

/rant

Anyway I might take a bit of a break from smash seeing how like every new dlc week, it’s infested with the new character and gets kinda boring, so I’m gonna start a new smrpg file, this time trying to go through without using any timed hits, either for def or offense, should be interesting....

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't evo be suited toward characters like Heihachi?

I want to have hope for Geno, but then I remember how soured I was after the Grinch leak.
Well I remember people saying that last year when the August Smash direct was revealed at EVO and see how that turned out. It was K. Rool and Simon instead.

Just cause it fits with the theming of Fighting Games doesn't necessarily mean we'll be getting a Fighting game character just like last year. Nintendo doesn't really care about the theming of said events.

D

Deleted member

If Geno gets in this game we are all required to use this controller in order to play as him
700016cd-1b52-4612-a305-8adbadfbd8cf_1.bc1aa839784de907e2b2328a25b6cc2c.jpeg

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I found a forum post buried in the depths of Google. This guy David in 2011 claimed to have been in contact with whoever mixed the "Arranged Tracks" album together, saying they were VGMix (an ancient site by internet standards) remixes that he edited with transitions and put out as an album online. According to a Wikipedia article that existed in 2008, this was considered to have been official, albeit with no publishing details.

This was finally disputed in 2009 when was discovered that there was no actual evidence of a "Super Mario RPG Arranged Tracks" album ever having been published by NTT, who published the actual SMRPG soundtrack. To make matters more confusing, I found a weird post in a massive old game OST ripping thread complaining about the ebay price of Arranged Tracks, although I have never found a listing.

If this was a real album, it wouldn't have been too out of the ordinary. Star Fox had a few officially arranged songs as well, including this fantastic rendition of Corneria.

I think my quest ends here. I don't see any way to prove it one way or another, but I am leaning towards the album being fan-made.
Good lord man...I thought I was thorough, but you sir, have gone BEYOND! Great work, but also still no clear answer either way? What a mystery SMRPG is! :4pacman:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Look at me being so good and not commenting about Pokemon even though people keep bringing it up and I have a lot to say about it. Oh no I just commented about it didn't I?

I agree that there's no reason to get upset if Geno is playable regardless of how this happens this is the primary immediate goal we should be hoping for. Who cares if it's in the fighters pass or another way? In my opinion the overarching goal is for the success of operation Starfall and for at the very least Square and Nintendo to collaborate on a remake of not an entirely SMRPG game.

It is my opinion that we should try to be excited for any Smash news involving new content even if it's for characters we don't particularly care for. Like I don't care at all about Shantae but if she got in I'd be really happy for fans who've been wanting her in.

The fact that this game has focused on the tagline "everyone is here" and has continued to listen to fans and really deliver top-of-the-line content over and over is astonishing. Comparing this game to the sword and shield controversy is just preposterous as there is nothing aside from apathy at Gamefreak for fans and clearly that is not the case for Smash. That's all I'm going to say about Pokemon...for now. Sakurai deserves nothing but admiration from Smash fans even if those fans don't get the character they want most. Like I have said before I have had Geno as my most wanted character literally since I heard about Melee being a thing back in the day but that never stunted my interest in this series because even the weaker entries (Brawl and 4 imo) had a lot to offer and fun new characters to play.

Atmoz

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5145-1574-6323
If Geno gets in this game we are all required to use this controller in order to play as him
Already own that controller, actually (the Game Boy variant, anyway). Very comfy on the hands and I use it to play on my PC and Switch. Playing Smash on it has never felt better!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fair point, but im still not sure how Geno fits a fighter pack, would he get an SMRPG stage and spirits?
Don't see why not. Plenty of source material to draw from, especially since the DQ spirit pack showed that just about any official art work, whether they're minor characters or main characters, is fair game.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Fair point, but im still not sure how Geno fits a fighter pack, would he get an SMRPG stage and spirits?
m8 they did an entire spirit pack out of just Persona 5 characters. SMRPG has enough original characters that it'd be fine. And either Bowser's Castle with Exor sticking out or the Mushroom Forest would be perfect stages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom